What next?

#2 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,627 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

Republicans demand action.  He acts.  Republicans criticize in outraged tones.  Repeat.

#3 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

It will be determined that the possibility the rebs did it can't be ruled out, and maybe that it was at least to some degree faked too. 

#4 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

So sitting on the fence it will be then.

#5 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Republicans demand action.  He acts.  Republicans criticize in outraged tones.  Repeat.

Benghazi

#6 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,911 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

It will be determined that the possibility the rebs did it can't be ruled out, and maybe that it was at least to some degree faked too. 

That was the 1st thing I thought of too when I heard it on the news.  Seems kinda silly for the regime to use Chems when they are winning and especially when they were going to take this area anyway.  And even more so they know that the use of chems, especially on this scale, pretty much will force the west to intervene.  It just makes zero sense that the regime would do it. 

Its even a bit more fishy when there is a UN inspection team in a hotel nearby.  Smacks of the rebs trying to force the west into attacking Assad.  However, IF the regime didn't do it, they should be hustling those inspectors to ground zero ASAP.  Stalling isn't helping their case at all.

Maybe a Syrian commander went rogue suddenly and decided to use do it on his own for some reason.

Strange stuff for sure, but it makes absolutely zero sense for Assad to use chems on civilians right now....

#7 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

So sitting on in the fence grandstands it will be then.

Corrected. If the French and the Brits want to clean up the mess their colonialism helped create, I wish them all the luck in the world.  They will need it. 

#8 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

That was the 1st thing I thought of too when I heard it on the news.  Seems kinda silly for the regime to use Chems when they are winning and especially when they were going to take this area anyway.  And even more so they know that the use of chems, especially on this scale, pretty much will force the west to intervene.  It just makes zero sense that the regime would do it. 

Its even a bit more fishy when there is a UN inspection team in a hotel nearby.  Smacks of the rebs trying to force the west into attacking Assad.  However, IF the regime didn't do it, they should be hustling those inspectors to ground zero ASAP.  Stalling isn't helping their case at all.

Maybe a Syrian commander went rogue suddenly and decided to use do it on his own for some reason.

Strange stuff for sure, but it makes absolutely zero sense for Assad to use chems on civilians right now....

In Damascus too. It doesn't make much sense. 

#9 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Who do you guys want to win anyways? Everyone is a dirtbag in this fight except the poor folks who are caught in between and just want to live.

You know, normal people.  They have them in Syria too...

#10 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Who do you guys want to win anyways? Everyone is a dirtbag in this fight except the poor folks who are caught in between and just want to live.

Looks to me the main reason our neo-Wilsonists are pushing for intervention is to simply stop the violence and stabilize the place. A noble cause. Here's the deal though: It's based on an assumption our legions can do that.

#11 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

Agreed, however the UK, US, France etc all agree that chemical weapons have been used on a smaller scale previously by the regime.

#12 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Corrected. If the French and the Brits want to clean up the mess their colonialism helped create, I wish them all the luck in the world.  They will need it. 
Agreed as well, but we all look pretty spineless to start with "red line" threats and then run away.

As Jeff mentioned, it could be rebel plan to induce Western backing?? Personally, not so sure.

#13 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Agreed as well, but we all look pretty spineless to start with "red line" threats and then run away.

As Jeff mentioned, it could be rebel plan to induce Western backing?? Personally, not so sure.

Absolutely it could be. They would love to chump us in the same way Chalabi chumped Dick Cheney. 

Obama did say wide scale, and there may be a lot of truth in it too. We could do a number on what stocks there are and leave. Something really evil starts to go down, a Pol-Pot-ish or Stalin-ish mass slaughter, might cause Obama to pull the trigger still.   

#14 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Didn't think it was about winning, I thought it was about helping the 'normal' people.

My mistake

#15 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

how do you help without helping one side "win"?

or do we let the natural borders establish themselves???

Think turkey will be happy to have an autonomous Kurd homeland on it's southern border?

#16 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

Absolutely it could be. They would love to chump us in the same way Chalabi chumped Dick Cheney. 

Obama did say wide scale, and there may be a lot of truth in it too. We could do a number on what stocks there are and leave. Something really evil starts to go down, a Pol-Pot-ish or Stalin-ish mass slaughter, might cause Obama to pull the trigger still.   
Do you think the West can do a better job this time?
Not trolling, and no, at present I have ideas. Part even thinks we should just back, maybe even see if the Russians would like to stand up for a change?

#17 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

no, I don't think the West can do a better job.  i don't believe the current borders are tenable, and something like an Indian split might be necessary.  But look how good that has turned out...

#18 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

We don't want the warning sign to be a mushroom cloud. Deploy the Simple Jack Squirrel La-Z-Boy Warrior Rapid Response Team. They'll talk the bad guys to their knees in a heartbeat.

#19 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Do you think the West can do a better job this time?
Not trolling, and no, at present I have ideas. Part even thinks we should just back, maybe even see if the Russians would like to stand up for a change?

Short answer is no. Yes, we could get a million men in there and totally dominate the place. After a several decades the tribal and sectarian divisions could be broken down, just don't expect it to be bloodless. In fact, expect a lot of blood. If the goal is to end the fighting quickly and then leave, no. The Alawites and other sects would be dominated by the majority Sunni's who in turn are dominated by their best fighters who are Salafist puritans. The other sects are convinced that they are fighting for their very lives and homes. This is why Assad is doing so well. 

Russia has an economy about the size of Canada's. They do not have the resources to take on the decades long task of transforming Syria's society. They feel that the people to back in the ME are the Shia, who they believe to be much better suited to modernization.  The Israelis did too, btw, until they began to feel the nation of Iran was their primary threat.  Being "advanced" is not what the current Israeli government prefers their neighbors to be.  The Russians are primarily concerned with what radical, political Islam could do to them. They have a sizable population of their own.

#20 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,881 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

What next?

the best thing he's done is nothing. 

we need to stay the fuck out. 

We don't want the warning sign to be a mushroom cloud. Deploy the Simple Jack Squirrel La-Z-Boy Warrior Rapid Response Team. They'll talk the bad guys to their knees in a heartbeat.

send Bull Gator - he'll drop to his knees with less than that. 

#21 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:13 PM

Jeez Sol!!

Thanks so much for your input!!

This was supposed to be discussion, not a fucking troll fest.

#22 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,265 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

Serious question. How the fuck do we afford another outing in a foreign country? Either we are broke, or we are not. I just wish we could clear that up before someone starts spending billion of dollars that we supposedly do not have.

#23 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,627 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

It's shit like this that make me glad I stayed the hell away from anything to do with the foreign service.  What an ugly bag of shit this one is.

#24 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,163 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Jeez Sol!!

Thanks so much for your input!!

This was supposed to be discussion, not a fucking troll fest.
Apologies. We've been down this path with the aforementioned chicken hawks, but it is unfair to lump you in with them.

Bottom line is, Obummer spoke out of school. We can't afford to police the world, thanks to our other misadventures. We have proven to be bad at it, as well.

#25 Clove Hitch

Clove Hitch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,953 posts
  • Interests:Garnacha. Gunk-holing.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Serious question. How the fuck do we afford another outing in a foreign country? Either we are broke, or we are not. I just wish we could clear that up before someone starts spending billion of dollars that we supposedly do not have.

Remember, defense spending doesn't mean anything to Republicans.  It simply doesn't count.  That's why they think Ronnie is a saint and so on.

#26 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,881 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

sadly Sol, the rest of the world is waiting for us, the perennial world cop, to come to the rescue 

#27 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

The oil will pay for it. 

#28 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,265 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

That's what I'm afraid of.

#29 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,881 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm sorry Mark, are you pointing out something about the current Administration? or are you resting on the efforts of others? 

#30 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

That's what I'm afraid of.

Obama has a strange batch of idealists on one shoulder and General Dempsey on the other. General rule: Don't bet against an Irishman in a bar fight. 

#31 Battlecheese

Battlecheese

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, music, physics.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

Agreed, however the UK, US, France etc all agree that chemical weapons have been used on a smaller scale previously by the regime.

Yes, but only because they think you are stupid.
The UN reports on these various incidents generally implicate the terrorists.
As do the Russian reports.
And as suggested by the continued strong popular support the Assad regime appears to enjoy.

#32 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

A couple weeks ago I was listening to NPR and they had the author of the book "Lawrence in Arabia" on.  Very interesting interview and then the host took some calls.  A gentleman originally from Egypt called in and made the point that today it is the Muslims who are asserting colonial powers in the region.

I gave it some thought and that concept makes complete sense to me.  If you've got some time, it is a great interview with some wonderful insights -- http://www.npr.org/p...091&m=213510470

#33 Cruisin Loser

Cruisin Loser

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, rock climbing, skiing, steatopygia, stuff

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

I predict that Obama will give Syria a Very Stern Look.

#34 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

:lol:

#35 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

A couple weeks ago I was listening to NPR and they had the author of the book "Lawrence in Arabia" on.  Very interesting interview and then the host took some calls.  A gentleman originally from Egypt called in and made the point that today it is the Muslims who are asserting colonial powers in the region.

I gave it some thought and that concept makes complete sense to me.  If you've got some time, it is a great interview with some wonderful insights -- http://www.npr.org/p...091&m=213510470

That was pretty fair. Skipped over the far-reaching consequences though. The Hashimites that ruled Mecca and Medina (Faisal and Abdullah's dad, Hussein, was the leader) were deposed by the Sauds because so many of his people were out in the Levant with his sons. The French and Brits may have split the place up into colonial holdings but as he mentions Larry had spilt da beans. The sons of Hussein felt they had to stay there and deal with the European ambitions rather than go back home, so now the worlds biggest oil fields are held by the Sauds. A tribe dominated by a very harsh, exclusive view of the religion.

The brothers claim to fame is being direct descendants of the Prophet. They also represented an older, much more tolerant and inclusive brand of Islam. They encouraged the Zionists that were hanging around Palestine to bring more European Jews for a couple of reasons, Abdullah (his great grandson rules Jordan today) did it because the Mufti of Jerusalem was a raging asshole and felt the Jews would be easier to get along with, and Faisal because he thought the best defense against Europeans is other Europeans. 

The French threw his ass out of Fench mandate "Syria" right quick. Just a few months after the Brits moved out.  After that, Faisal had no place to go. Couldn't go home to Mecca. Couldn't move in with his bro can compromise Abdullah's carefully cultivated image of not being a British puppet, damn sure couldn't go back to Turkey where he went to school, so the Brits gave him "Iraq". A different slice of the Ottoman pie that went to the British. 

#36 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:57 AM

That was pretty fair. Skipped over the far-reaching consequences though. The Hashimites that ruled Mecca and Medina (Faisal and Abdullah's dad, Hussein, was the leader) were deposed by the Sauds because so many of his people were out in the Levant with his sons. The French and Brits may have split the place up into colonial holdings but as he mentions Larry had spilt da beans. The sons of Hussein felt they had to stay there and deal with the European ambitions rather than go back home, so now the worlds biggest oil fields are held by the Sauds. A tribe dominated by a very harsh, exclusive view of the religion.

The brothers claim to fame is being direct descendants of the Prophet. They also represented an older, much more tolerant and inclusive brand of Islam. They encouraged the Zionists that were hanging around Palestine to bring more European Jews for a couple of reasons, Abdullah (his great grandson rules Jordan today) did it because the Mufti of Jerusalem was a raging asshole and felt the Jews would be easier to get along with, and Faisal because he thought the best defense against Europeans is other Europeans. 

The French threw his ass out of Fench mandate "Syria" right quick. Just a few months after the Brits moved out.  After that, Faisal had no place to go. Couldn't go home to Mecca. Couldn't move in with his bro can compromise Abdullah's carefully cultivated image of not being a British puppet, damn sure couldn't go back to Turkey where he went to school, so the Brits gave him "Iraq". A different slice of the Ottoman pie that went to the British. 

No doubt the region was sliced up by the Western powers of Europe with little regard for the local tensions.  Point is, that the Muslim radicals are doing the same thing.  The Muslim Brotherhood wants the ME and North Africa to unify for what?  Economic reasons?

Thanks for actually listening to the interview, Mark.

#37 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

Unification is the opposite of slicing the place up.  They would prefer a theocracy to what they have had, but they aren't all that "unification-ish".   

#38 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

Yes, but only because they think you are stupid.
The UN reports on these various incidents generally implicate the terrorists.
As do the Russian reports.
Do you have a couple of cites for that?

#39 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

The oil will pay for it. 

Well we sure shit can't pay for another peace keeping/nation building exercise.

#40 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

#41 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,163 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

That's about all it merits.  Not a problem that we can afford to turn into our problem.  

#42 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

That's about all it merits.  Not a problem that we can afford to turn into our problem.  

I agree.  Our president should just stop drawing lines that people can cross if they feel like it.

#43 squirel

squirel

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Fukin Obama is making jokes about it - crossing the RED LINE is now a GRAVE CONCERN.

#44 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:06 AM

The oil will pay for it. 

Oh no, we absolutely could. If North Korea were to launch their invasion on the US today, there would be money coming out of the ground, dropping from the sky, you name it..and first thing Monday morning.  It's a historical fact that the US was almost broke when WW2 broke out. No nation at war that possessed the physical capability to build weapons ever failed to do so because they were "out of money". 

#45 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,265 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

Well said. When it's time to re-fill the coffers of the military industrial complex the faithful will line up to pay tribute. I'm pretty sure that's how they got their power in the first place.

#46 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Well said. When it's time to re-fill the coffers of the military industrial complex the faithful will line up to pay tribute. I'm pretty sure that's how they got their power in the first place.

There's two red buttons in the "football". One launches the nukes and the the other re-wires the bank accounts of the hedge-funders and the Canary Islands to the Treasury. On-line banking is the shizzle, baby, times about a trillion. 

Seriously, we shouldn't be thinking of war because we have spare cash to blow.   

On the chem, the Rooskies say the videos were posted a day before the incident was reported.  

#47 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

#48 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

Interesting, Corbertt seems to think this is it... Any other predictions? 

#49 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

imtq8j.jpg

#50 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,163 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

Deploy the Simple Jack La-Z-Boy Warrior Division ®, Rapid Response Team immediately!

#51 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

MAYBE we could just Photoshop our soldiers over there.

Know anybody that's good with Photoshop?

#52 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hey Mikey ... IT WAS OBAMA"S Red Line not mine. Makes US look impotent when you draw a line in the sand and let them kick it in your face.

Don't say it unless you mean it.... Oh and I just got my healthcare premium increase notice. went from $1200 something to $1500/mo .... I guess he didn't mean that either when he said my costs would go down. It has doubled since Obamacare was passed.

This lying, vacuous, self important sack of dumb that we call a president is screwing up America big time.

Edited by Happy Jack, 24 August 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#53 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Hey Mikey ... IT WAS OBAMA"S Red Line not mine. Makes US look impotent when you draw a line in the sand and let them kick it in your face.

Don't say it unless you mean it.... Oh and I just got my healthcare premium increase notice. went from $1200 something to $1500/mo .... I guess he didn't mean that either when he said my costs would go down. It has doubled since Obamacare was passed.

This lying, vacuous, self important sack of dumb that we call a president is screwing up America big time.

It's Mike, not Mikey.

And you had to use the edit function to edit THAT piece of crap?

I was impressed by your photoshop skills.

And I mean it.

#54 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

It's Mike, not Mikey.

And I mean it.

You don't like Mikey? Then don't start a pissing contest by implying I'm cavalier about sending soldiers into battle. That Sol's tired shtick. Let me remind you again that Obama drew the line not me.

#55 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Done deal?

#56 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

It's Mike, not Mikey.
And I mean it.

You don't like Mikey? Then don't start a pissing contest by implying I'm cavalier about sending soldiers into battle. That Sol's tired shtick. Let me remind you again that Obama drew the line not me.

That you hate this president is obvious.
That you are more worried about looking impotent and having sand kicked in your face than the welfare of our soldiers is telling also.

#57 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,911 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

Oh SNAP! (So true tho)

#58 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Report: War Looms: Hundreds of American Troops and CIA Operatives Have Entered Syria

While the media panicked over the halting of NASDAQ stock trading due to a reported bug in the system (more on that shortly), one critical development went under-reported. In fact, it wasn’t reported at all.

If the following from France’s second largest newspaper Le Figaro is accurate, then we must assume that war is now a foregone conclusion.

According to our information, the regime’s opponents, supervised by Jordanian, Israeli and American commandos moving towards Damascus since mid-August. This attack could explain the possible use of the Syrian president to chemical weapons.

According to information obtained by Le Figaro , the first trained in guerrilla warfare by the Americans in Jordan Syrian troops reportedly entered into action since mid-August in southern Syria, in the region of Deraa. A first group of 300 men, probably supported by Israeli and Jordanian commandos, as well as men of the CIA, had crossed the border on August 17. A second would have joined the 19. According to military sources, the Americans, who do not want to put troops on the Syrian soil or arming rebels in part controlled by radical Islamists form quietly for several months in a training camp set up at the border Jordanian- Syrian fighters ASL, the Free Syrian Army, handpicked.

Translation via Zero Hedge

What’s equally as intriguing as boots on the ground inside of the Syrian border is the fact that these troops and intelligence officers reportedly made their way into the country on August 17th, fully four days before reports and images surfaced showing hundreds of men, women and children killed by a chemical weapons attack allegedly at the hands of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The purported attack, which some experts argue was a set-up, left even the pacifist government of France calling for military intervention. Furthermore, should UN investigators, who conveniently happen to be in-country investigating possible chemical weapons stockpiles, confirm that the attack did take place, then we can expect armed military confrontation in the middle east once again.

Of interest is also the fact the NASDAQ stock market exchange was halted today due to what NASDAQ officials call a technical glitch. Within hours of the ‘glitch’ cyber security experts suggested that this was no accident, but rather, a hack attackoriginating from the “hacking collective” known as the Cyber Fighters of Izz ad-Din al-Qassam, an Iranian backed organization.

Earlier this week President Obama met with the heads of the Federal Reserve, the SEC, the FDIC and several other agencies responsible for monitoring and implementing U.S. financial, economic and monetary policy, indicating that there could be a serious crisis unfolding behind the scenes of our financial system. This comes on the heels of the Federal Reserve claiming that they would begin to “taper” the stimulus, a move that would likely send massive shock waves through domestic and global stock markets.

This is all speculation, of course, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that the US financial system is potentially on the brink of a massive re-collapse, while the Obama administration is actively engaging Syria in what we can only conclude will lead to a broader conflict in the middle east.

Throughout history governments have deflected blame for economic disasters by turning their efforts to a far off enemy and going to war. It’s certainly no accident and it’s a forecast that contrarian observers have made repeatedly as the global economic crisis deepened.

Is this what we’re seeing play out right now?

If so, then the implications are far reaching, because anyone who thinks this is going to be another Iraq are kidding themselves. This time, the Russians and the Chinese have a stake in the game, and they too have been positioning pieces on the Grand Chessboard. Not only have the Russians already advised western nations that the Syrians will be armed with weapons never before seen in the middle east, but they have warned that any military confrontation in the region could potentially go nuclear.

The question then becomes: who were the Russians talking about?

Syria doesn’t have nuclear weapons. Neither does Iran (at least not for a few more months if Israeli intelligence reports are to be believed).

But the United States, Israel, Russia and China do have nukes.

Thus, one can only conclude that the Russians were talking about a nuclear engagement between them… and us.

It’s a realistic possibility also put forth by survival specialist Joel Skousen in his documentary Strategic Relocation and a warning reiterated by a DHS Insider who claimed in June of 2013 that a World War was about to break out and would lead to the deaths of millions.

This is getting real folks. All signs point to a serious confrontation in our near future.

#59 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

It's Mike, not Mikey.
And I mean it.

That you hate this president is obvious.
That you are more worried about looking impotent and having sand kicked in your face than the welfare of our soldiers is telling also.

Now I know you are an idiot. Setting ultimatums and then whimpering out encourages adventurism and that is what kills soldiers. But let me repeat one more time and let's see if it registers on your addled Obamaton brain.

OBAMA DREW THE RED LINE. I did not. If he was only bluffing it got called and he looks foolish. It gets real dangerous when politicians start wars to cover-up their foolishness.

And I do not hate Obama. He is simply an awful administrator with no economic social or diplomatic skills. But, he is Black and there is no possible way the media is going to hold his administration accountable for it's incompetence.

History must record that the first black president was the second coming of Abraham Lincoln if not God himself. 

#60 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Chickenhawks Rock. LazyBoy Warriors on the move.

Dum Dum pontificates on politics. 

Film at 11.

#61 zzrider

zzrider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, motorcycling

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

The Pentagon Is Preparing A Cruise Missile Attack Against Syria

#62 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Report: War Looms: Hundreds of American Troops and CIA Operatives Have Entered Syria

While the media panicked over the halting of NASDAQ stock trading due to a reported bug in the system (more on that shortly), one critical development went under-reported. In fact, it wasn’t reported at all.

If the following from France’s second largest newspaper Le Figaro is accurate, then we must assume that war is now a foregone conclusion.

According to our information, the regime’s opponents, supervised by Jordanian, Israeli and American commandos moving towards Damascus since mid-August. This attack could explain the possible use of the Syrian president to chemical weapons.

According to information obtained by Le Figaro , the first trained in guerrilla warfare by the Americans in Jordan Syrian troops reportedly entered into action since mid-August in southern Syria, in the region of Deraa. A first group of 300 men, probably supported by Israeli and Jordanian commandos, as well as men of the CIA, had crossed the border on August 17. A second would have joined the 19. According to military sources, the Americans, who do not want to put troops on the Syrian soil or arming rebels in part controlled by radical Islamists form quietly for several months in a training camp set up at the border Jordanian- Syrian fighters ASL, the Free Syrian Army, handpicked.

Translation via Zero Hedge

What’s equally as intriguing as boots on the ground inside of the Syrian border is the fact that these troops and intelligence officers reportedly made their way into the country on August 17th, fully four days before reports and images surfaced showing hundreds of men, women and children killed by a chemical weapons attack allegedly at the hands of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The purported attack, which some experts argue was a set-up, left even the pacifist government of France calling for military intervention. Furthermore, should UN investigators, who conveniently happen to be in-country investigating possible chemical weapons stockpiles, confirm that the attack did take place, then we can expect armed military confrontation in the middle east once again.

Of interest is also the fact the NASDAQ stock market exchange was halted today due to what NASDAQ officials call a technical glitch. Within hours of the ‘glitch’ cyber security experts suggested that this was no accident, but rather, a hack attackoriginating from the “hacking collective” known as the Cyber Fighters of Izz ad-Din al-Qassam, an Iranian backed organization.

Earlier this week President Obama met with the heads of the Federal Reserve, the SEC, the FDIC and several other agencies responsible for monitoring and implementing U.S. financial, economic and monetary policy, indicating that there could be a serious crisis unfolding behind the scenes of our financial system. This comes on the heels of the Federal Reserve claiming that they would begin to “taper” the stimulus, a move that would likely send massive shock waves through domestic and global stock markets.

This is all speculation, of course, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that the US financial system is potentially on the brink of a massive re-collapse, while the Obama administration is actively engaging Syria in what we can only conclude will lead to a broader conflict in the middle east.

Throughout history governments have deflected blame for economic disasters by turning their efforts to a far off enemy and going to war. It’s certainly no accident and it’s a forecast that contrarian observers have made repeatedly as the global economic crisis deepened.

Is this what we’re seeing play out right now?

If so, then the implications are far reaching, because anyone who thinks this is going to be another Iraq are kidding themselves. This time, the Russians and the Chinese have a stake in the game, and they too have been positioning pieces on the Grand Chessboard. Not only have the Russians already advised western nations that the Syrians will be armed with weapons never before seen in the middle east, but they have warned that any military confrontation in the region could potentially go nuclear.

The question then becomes: who were the Russians talking about?

Syria doesn’t have nuclear weapons. Neither does Iran (at least not for a few more months if Israeli intelligence reports are to be believed).

But the United States, Israel, Russia and China do have nukes.

Thus, one can only conclude that the Russians were talking about a nuclear engagement between them… and us.

It’s a realistic possibility also put forth by survival specialist Joel Skousen in his documentary Strategic Relocation and a warning reiterated by a DHS Insider who claimed in June of 2013 that a World War was about to break out and would lead to the deaths of millions.

This is getting real folks. All signs point to a serious confrontation in our near future.

The SHTEplan dot com: The comment section is where the real entertainment happens. 

#63 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

The Pentagon Is Preparing A Cruise Missile Attack Against Syria

The Pentagon has contingency plans for all matter of scenario, and I'm surprised they didn't toss one together at level - "cross a red line".  Now that this situation has escalated to level - "Grave Concern", Assad would be very foolish to let it reach level - "We're serious this time...really...we're not kidding around any more".

Hopefully any response will be based on accurate intel and more strategic than simply bombing baby milk and aspirin factories.

#64 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,925 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Kill them all, god will know his own.

#65 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

RD, You will like this one. Should have it's own thread titled "How Obama's ME policy failed". There is a lot to quibble about in his rationals, he's stuck on the notion we should be fighting for Israel after all, but he captures the fundamental mistake in two excerpts here:

http://online.wsj.co...3699568400.html

The Obama administration had a grand strategy in the Middle East. It was well intentioned, carefully crafted and consistently pursued.

Unfortunately, it failed.

The plan was simple but elegant: The U.S. would work with moderate Islamist groups like Turkey's AK Party and Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood to make the Middle East more democratic. This would kill three birds with one stone. First, by aligning itself with these parties, the Obama administration would narrow the gap between the 'moderate middle' of the Muslim world and the U.S. Second, by showing Muslims that peaceful, moderate parties could achieve beneficial results, it would isolate the terrorists and radicals, further marginalizing them in the Islamic world. Finally, these groups with American support could bring democracy to more Middle Eastern countries, leading to improved economic and social conditions, gradually eradicating the ills and grievances that drove some people to fanatical and terroristic groups.

With the advantages of hindsight, it appears that the White House made five big miscalculations about the Middle East. It misread the political maturity and capability of the Islamist groups it supported

#66 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

RD, You will like this one. Should have it's own thread titled "How Obama's ME policy failed". There is a lot to quibble about in his rationals, he's stuck on the notion we should be fighting for Israel after all, but he captures the fundamental mistake in two excerpts here:

http://online.wsj.co...3699568400.html

The Obama administration had a grand strategy in the Middle East. It was well intentioned, carefully crafted and consistently pursued.

Unfortunately, it failed.

The plan was simple but elegant: The U.S. would work with moderate Islamist groups like Turkey's AK Party and Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood to make the Middle East more democratic. This would kill three birds with one stone. First, by aligning itself with these parties, the Obama administration would narrow the gap between the 'moderate middle' of the Muslim world and the U.S. Second, by showing Muslims that peaceful, moderate parties could achieve beneficial results, it would isolate the terrorists and radicals, further marginalizing them in the Islamic world. Finally, these groups with American support could bring democracy to more Middle Eastern countries, leading to improved economic and social conditions, gradually eradicating the ills and grievances that drove some people to fanatical and terroristic groups.

>

With the advantages of hindsight, it appears that the White House made five big miscalculations about the Middle East. It misread the political maturity and capability of the Islamist groups it supported

He will be judged by results, Mark, inasmuch as he can influence them.  The Nobel Prize comes with a gold medal on a ribbon.  It does not bestow wisdom or a place on the throne of historical righteousness.

History will be the judge, but my thinking is that Bush used too much stick and not enough carrot.  Obama is almost all carrot to the point nobody thinks we will use the stick. 

I'm all for minimizing our role as world police, but threats without follow up makes us irrelevant.  Irrelevance is not a problem, as long as you don't pretend to be otherwise.

#67 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

We are now at DEFCON - "Serious Response"

David Cameron and Barack Obama moved the west closer to military intervention in Syria on Saturday as they agreed that last week's alleged chemical weapon attacks by the Assad regime had taken the crisis into a new phase that merited a "serious response".(link)

#68 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

"Alleged" and "concluded" are great on their own but when they shack up together, anything is possible.

25z46tg.jpg

#69 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:40 AM

#70 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:35 AM

Level - "Mulling Over".  This is getting serious.

#71 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

arab%20gas%20pipeline.jpg

#72 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,215 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

Did the Guardian's "sources" mention whether it would be the rebels or Assad that Obama and Cameron have "concluded" must be acted upon? 

#73 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

Did the Guardian's "sources" mention whether it would be the rebels or Assad that Obama and Cameron have "concluded" must be acted upon? 

We shall see.  Thank goodness we have professional diplomats doing their duty well.

The US is not obliged to take any action, because "Mulling Over" is a thought process and not an aggressive act.

Perhaps a threat of UN sanctions?

Edit - I do wish Hillary was still Secretary of State.

#74 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

This time we really mean it. We're not kidding ... 

The Prime Minister spoke with President Barack Obama by telephone to ask for help with convening an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council.

He wants to put forward a “game-changing” resolution that would give the Syrian government, led by Bashar al-Assad, “one last chance” to disarm.

Mr Cameron is said to have been left sickened by images of children killed by the chemical weapons.

One charity yesterday said at least 355 people had died and 10 times that number were treated for poisoning.

Britain and France have blamed the Assad regime for the chemical attack.

#75 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,911 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

The Prime Minister spoke with President Barack Obama by telephone to ask for help with convening an emergency session of the United Nations Security Council.

He wants to put forward a “game-changing” resolution that would give the Syrian government, led by Bashar al-Assad, “one last chance” to disarm.

Mr Cameron is said to have been left sickened by images of children killed by the chemical weapons.

One charity yesterday said at least 355 people had died and 10 times that number were treated for poisoning.

How does the UK and the Frogs know it was the regime and not the rebs?

#76 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,516 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

Beats me, I was mocking  their multiple second chances. 

They sound like a bad parent... "Don't make me tell you again"..... 

#77 Mike G

Mike G

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

Diplomacy is very black/white.

PRINT: "On a scale of 1-10, should we bomb?"

10 input: x

20 if x>5 then goto 100

30 if x<5 then goto 200

40 if x=5 then goto 400

100 bomb the fuck out of them.

101 end

200 do nothing

201 end

400 PRINT: You fucking ditherer.

401 end

Holy shit...that takes me back to about 1980.

And I'm SURE that's not a correct program, but as my memory serves...something similar.

Im going to save it in my cassette recorder now...for posterity.

#78 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,911 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

What should obummer do right now?

#79 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Only they never crossed the red line.. Get a grip. 

#80 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

US Set to Launch ‘Iraq, The Sequel’ in Syria
Daniel McAdams at 01:46 am EDT on August 25, 2013
email.pngfacebook.pngtwitter.png

share_save_120_16.png

If you liked the run up to the US attack on Iraq, with the lurid fictional tales of mobile chemical weapons labs and Saddam’s nukes, you will love “Iraq, The Sequel”, currently unfolding in Syria. It is everything the interventionists have been hoping for: a heady brew of Kosovo, Iraq, and Libya all rolled into one. The possibility for an infinitely more toxic conflagration is exponentially higher, to boot, adding for the interventionists much excitement to the mix.

Here is the latest:

A fourth US warship capable of launching the type of cruise missiles that turned Libya to rubble and paved the way for al-Qaeda affiliates to take control of that country is now rushing to the waters off of Syria, ready to unleash destruction. Chuck Hagel, who some antiwar commentators foolishly believed would put an end to Washington’s military adventurism, is feverishly preparing plans for President Obama to attack. The media worldwide,  interventionist to the core, is pushing willing leaders in the US, France, and the UK to finally treat Syria to another devastating “liberation.”

What has prompted this sudden dramatic move just over the past few days toward a Western invasion of Syria? A pretext. A claimed chemical attack near Damascus that has produced, according to an estimate from Médecins Sans Frontières, perhaps some 300 deaths. It is unclear whether a bona fide chemical attack has taken place, and it is even more unclear who might be responsible should the attack indeed be the work of some chemical agent. Yet all of a sudden another Washington/Paris/London war is to be set in motion. How banal the triggers for war have become. Almost like a video game.

Somehow we are supposed to believe that within 72 hours after the arrival of a UN chemical weapons inspection team to assess — with the Syrian government’s cooperation — the sites of previous claimed chemical weapons attacks, that same Syrian government would launch a chemical weapon attack on civilians just miles from where the UN inspectors are staying. The UN inspectors were there on invitation from the Syrian government and that same government would launch chemicals right into their neighborhood.

Unless Assad is indeed suicidally insane, which he has given no indication of being heretofore, it quite simply makes no sense. Why risk the overt wrath of the entire rest of the world — alienating even your final allies in Iran and Russia — for so measly a gain: killing 300 civilians in a war to the death against US/Saudi/Turk supported jihadists? There is no military justification and no justification at all short of the Assad clan being a Middle Eastern form of the Manson Family. Is that the argument?

As the always thoughtful Moon of Alabama blog points out, the hypocrisy of the West is stunning. Based exclusively on reporting by the Syrian opposition itself, some sort of substance has killed anywhere from 100-360 people outside Damascus, and the West is ready for war. Meanwhile, just over a week ago, the Egyptian military massacred more than a thousand unarmed Muslim Brotherhood protestors in Egypt and the West not only did not condemn the act but has endorsed further crackdowns against supporters of the duly elected government in Egypt — in the name of democracy.

Thousands killed by the US allied Egyptian military is glossed over; dubious unconfirmed reports from highly biased sources, of a hundred or so killed in a war that has claimed by some estimates 100,000 lives, and the warships steam toward a date with destruction. Why are these 100 killed any different than those thousands of Syrians killed with CIA supplied weapons in case after documented case of Syrian insurgent atrocities? No answer.

Credible reports coming from the pro-government press in Syria that the rebels have time and time again — including just yesterday – used crude chemical agents in their fight to overthrow the government are routinely ignored by the same Western media that dutifully reports every utterance from the rebels’ own mouthpiece, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

However, the claims that chemical agents were used has come under very skeptical scrutiny from those who understand such matters. Although the press with its signature lack of curiosity is reporting breathlessly on the preparations for war (it’s good for ratings and for the profits of their military-industrial complex invested corporate owners), there are thankfully still some media outlets willing to consider those odd things called facts.

The Israeli Haaretz newspaper is one of those, and it reports (via Sic Semper Tyrannis blog) that those who know a bit about chemical warfare are unconvinced by Syrian insurgent reports of chemical weapons use.

Western experts on chemical warfare who have examined at least part of the footage are skeptical that weapons-grade chemical substances were used, although they all emphasize that serious conclusions cannot be reached without thorough on-site examination. Dan Kaszeta, a former officer of the U.S. Army’s Chemical Corps and a leading private consultant, pointed out a number of details absent from the footage so far: “None of the people treating the casualties or photographing them are wearing any sort of chemical-warfare protective gear,” he says, “and despite that, none of them seem to be harmed.” This would seem to rule out most types of military-grade chemical weapons, including the vast majority of nerve gases, since these substances would not evaporate immediately, especially if they were used in sufficient quantities to kill hundreds of people, but rather leave a level of contamination on clothes and bodies which would harm anyone coming in unprotected contact with them in the hours after an attack. In addition, he says that “there are none of the other signs you would expect to see in the aftermath of a chemical attack, such as intermediate levels of casualties, severe visual problems, vomiting and loss of bowel control.”

Steve Johnson, a leading researcher on the effects of hazardous material exposure at England’s Cranfield University who has worked with Britain’s Ministry of Defense on chemical warfare issues, agrees that “from the details we have seen so far, a large number of casualties over a wide area would mean quite a pervasive dispersal. With that level of chemical agent, you would expect to see a lot of contamination on the casualties coming in ,and it would affect those treating them who are not properly protected. We are not seeing that here.” Additional questions also remain unanswered, especially regarding the timing of the attack, being that it occurred on the exact same day that a team of UN inspectors was in Damascus to investigate earlier claims of chemical weapons use. It is also unclear what tactical goal the Syrian army would have been trying to achieve, when over the last few weeks it has managed to push back the rebels who were encroaching on central areas of the capital. But if this was not a chemical weapons attack, what then caused the deaths of so many people without any external signs of trauma?

Tomahawk missiles may be flying by the time you read this article. But do not make the mistake of believing the lies being told to make the case for another war. This is another war based entirely on lies and the result will be the destruction of the people of Syria. Another war crime under cover of “humantiarian intervention.”

#81 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,911 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

US Set to Launch ‘Iraq, The Sequel’ in Syria

Yep, I'm very skeptical.  Smells like a set up and the objections in the article were pretty much exactly what I posted a few days ago.  It makes zero sense for Assad to do this, especially in damascus itself.  It smacks of reb fuckery. 

The only other thing I can think of that might explain it is a rogue commander in the regime decided to unilaterally use chems to try to frame the Army and Assad and hasten the west's involvement. 

I also wouldn't be shocked if some of the arab GCC countries like Saudi slipped the rebs some chems on the sly and told them to use it to get the west involved and therefore do the Arab coalitions dirty work.  They don't want Assad to win, but they also are unlikely to use direct action on their own.  Harder to latter blame the imperialist west when Saudi and other arab jets are bombing Syria on their own.

#82 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,871 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

The oil will pay for it. 

Oh no, we absolutely could. If North Korea were to launch their invasion on the US today, there would be money coming out of the ground, dropping from the sky, you name it..and first thing Monday morning.  It's a historical fact that the US was almost broke when WW2 broke out. No nation at war that possessed the physical capability to build weapons ever failed to do so because they were "out of money". 
Maybe the US for sure, but no way for the UK, the cuts and lay-offs in the military will make it all but impossible to send a major ground offensive. Possibly a few special forces, but even then they've reduced their numbers as well.

#83 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,925 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

The rebs died so they must be innocent.  At least that's the direction of arguments in other threads on other subjects.

#84 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,925 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

Tomahawk missiles may be flying by the time you read this article. But do not make the mistake of believing the lies being told to make the case for another war. This is another war based entirely on lies and the result will be the destruction of the people of Syria. Another war crime under cover of “humantiarian intervention.”

We're using drones now for even more precision and control.  This is just a way to clear old stock.

#85 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

"Game changing" and "one last chance"?  This is just the kind of senseless rhetoric that might encourage an otherwise confident Assad to blow his brains out.

This bullying has got to stop.

#86 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

What does that have to do with anything?

#87 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

It will make the countries in the ME energy independent, though the long term, environmental impact of fracking is anyone's guess and the project will only create 250 jobs.

#88 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

It will make the countries in the ME energy independent, though the long term, environmental impact of fracking is anyone's guess and the project will only create 250 jobs.

It's been built for years, so your tenses appear to be wrong.

What is it doing in this thread?

#89 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hint:  Third phase is where?

#90 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Well I do love hints, but maybe you should just spell it out for me.

#91 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:30 PM

Kalas isn't a suburb of Vancouver?

#92 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:34 PM

Kalas isn't a suburb of Vancouver?

?

#93 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

O-I-L

#94 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

If obummer wills it.... :lol:

#95 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

O-I-L

It's a G-A-S pipeline...

#96 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Good point. Just happens to be going trough Syria.

#97 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

If obummer wills it.... :lol:

Now we've got "contingencies" and "options".  There is even talk about getting the UN involved.

Assad must be either deaf or stoopid.

#98 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

Good point. Just happens to be going trough Syria.

So what?

#99 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,804 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Pipelines draw wars like trailer parks draw tornadoes. ;)

#100 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,766 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Diplomacy is very black/white.

PRINT: "On a scale of 1-10, should we bomb?"

10 input: x

20 if x>5 then goto 100

30 if x<5 then goto 200

40 if x=5 then goto 400

100 bomb the fuck out of them.

101 end

200 do nothing

201 end

400 PRINT: You fucking ditherer.

401 end

Holy shit...that takes me back to about 1980.

And I'm SURE that's not a correct program, but as my memory serves...something similar.

Im going to save it in my cassette recorder now...for posterity.

Wow, I almost typed ATDT to post after reading that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users