• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:41 AM

Two new gas sucking, Earth killing, unicorn eating, wingless kitten fuking fun-toys. Life.....begins at 7 mpg's..... :D

1377360136.jpg

1377359281.jpg

1377393467.jpg

1377394011.jpg

#2 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:02 AM

Taco Wagon??

#3 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

More like an all around mobile Phun Truk. Baja camping, AZ hunting, American Road Trip Part 3'er, off road expos with the Shiftster....whatever.

Just gotta source out a one ton front drive axle and t-case, and figure out a mild lift for her....:lol:

#4 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:21 AM

How much did they pay you to haul it off?

#5 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:22 AM

When people look at a thing

Some people just see the thing

Other people barely see the thing. They vividly visualize the potential of the thing instead.

You're definitely one of them other people.

What's the plan? AZ.bound?

#6 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:34 AM

How much did they pay you to haul it off?

You have any idea how much scrap aluminum goes for in this town? Let's just say that I gladly paid to save this olde gurl from becoming a cheap Chinese made deck fitting........

#7 Takk2

Takk2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

A few years ago I was at a Steelers game and there was one of these, the back door was open, it had hardwood floors, a fireplace with big screen above, leather couch, super man cave on wheels, just the coolest tailgate truck going

#8 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:15 AM

A few years ago I was at a Steelers game and there was one of these, the back door was open, it had hardwood floors, a fireplace with big screen above, leather couch, super man cave on wheels, just the coolest tailgate truck going

If i could get this to even less than half way of looking like this one, I'd die a broke happy man..... :lol:

Stepvan.jpg

Monster Stepvan

Here is a truck you may get a kick out of. This truck was built to advertise its business and it does in a "big way". This fun-to-drive stepvan has a 427 tall deck, 400 transmission, 205 transfer case, 1 ton front and rear diffs, 44 swamper truxus tires. If you have any questions, or would like something similar built for you please contact. Bob at Big Wheel Off Road, Hubert N.C., 910-326-2881.

#9 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

Needs cupholders...

#10 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:21 AM

Just bought two of them from Kelly's Marine.

Next?.....

#11 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

Next?.....

Stripper pole?

#12 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Next?.....

Stripper pole?

Nah, I'm probably just gonna have it bead blasted......

#13 CyberBOB

CyberBOB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:19 AM

20 years ago, my buddy looked at a Winnebago.

Cool part is it was attached to a deuce and a half chassis...

40,000 pound PTO winches front and back...

Ultimate off road RV.

#14 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,059 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

Two new gas sucking, Earth killing, unicorn eating, wingless kitten fuking fun-toys. Life.....begins at 7 mpg's..... :D

1377360136.jpg

Does Sol know that you took his jammy van and trashed it?

#15 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,782 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

Around here there are tons of boats available. A 30 foot boat, power or sail can make a really nice writer's hobbit hang out. They even heat and Ac easily.

#16 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,067 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

Next?.....

Faux S.W.A.T. van and dominate the neighborhood?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Sss51tFfsW4

#17 DISHONEST ASSHOLE

DISHONEST ASSHOLE

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Rum and Cougars

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Many Steeler fans drive to the game and watch  it on tv from the parking lot.  They think they get better reception

if they are closer.

#18 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

1377360136.jpg

Does Sol know that you took his jammy van and trashed it?

Nope. Still in the driveway, undergoing a full cooling and fuel system upgrade. Joy joy joy.

#19 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

Rick, do yourself a favor and get all of that paint off of that thing. Then get someone who needs a bit of coin to burn up some polishing bonnets on it, until you have bright shiny maintenance free aluminum.

What kind of power?

#20 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Rick, do yourself a favor and get all of that paint off of that thing. Then get someone who needs a bit of coin to burn up some polishing bonnets on it, until you have bright shiny maintenance free aluminum.

What kind of power?

Agreed, that is so ugly even the local  artistes haven't added their talents to it's sides.

Sol, from deciphering the tag, it's another Cornbinder. :rolleyes: Man's got an an affliction. :P

#21 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

What kind of power?

Agreed, that is so ugly even the local  artistes haven't added their talents to it's sides.

Sol, from deciphering the tag, it's another Cornbinder. :rolleyes: Man's got an an affliction. :P

They all have their little issues and peccadilloes.  Mine has an early 6.5 GM diesel, from right after the switch over from the 6.2.  Lots of overheating issues back then (and cylinder heads with a propensity to crack), which GM addressed some time later with a higher volume pump and crossover pipe, and more aggressive fan and clutch.  I also confront the results of this thing being a maintenance truck for a school board, which sat around for an untold period of time before auction.  As a result, whenever I run the tank low, I clog the fuel filter with sludge.  So while I have the whole thing apart to address the heating issues, I am replacing the entire fuel system as well, including the tank, which is just over 100 bucks new, so no point in having the old one cleaned up.  

I talk about mine because if Rick's has been sitting, and if it has a 6.5 (I doubt that), he will want to look into similar issues before they happen instead of after.  

edit:  ah yes, the tag.  Now I see....  

#22 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

What kind of power?

That's kinda what I was thinking, Sol, 'cuz a proper paint job on aluminum i$ a rather co$tly excerci$e. Just need to research whether a good clear coat or two sprayed on her would be doable---or if I should just plan on waxing the dog shit out of it three times a year. Hmmmm.

Anyways she's a '74 and is all International Harvester underneath-----345-E series V-8 (exactly like what is in the Traveler right now), a 4 speed manual tranny (BW T-19 or a N/P 435...not sure yet) and what seems to be an RA-15 rear axle. GVWR is 10,000 lbs. (oddly, the Nurse's '84 Tioga on the E350 chassis pictured above is rated at 11,000 lbs. Go figure). The best thing about her is that smaller IH V-8's are pretty much the same and parts interchange very readily------and I have a ton of spare parts right now that will work on both trucks. First purchase though (after going thru the brakes and clutch slave) is to shit-can the crappy Kalifornia'd smogged Holley 2210 and pop a 2300 on her. Did the same on the Traveler and the difference is like night and day. The other thing I gotta contend with is putting a heavy duty (Class 5?) tow hitch set-up on her. I don't know much about that kind of stuff, but a quick glance under the rear of the chassis tells me that there's lotsa meat at the frame rails to attach and weld to. I think.....

1377382931.jpg

1377380229.jpg

1377380223.jpg

1377380214.jpg

#23 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

If those rear brakes are of the variety that requires removal of axles to access, brace yourself for a fun job.  Did one of those on a tow truck during my former career, and it was no fun.  New truck actually has disc brakes on the dually rear.  

For the hitch, I took a couple of pretty thick plates, 3/8" I think, and welded them to the frame rails, extending downward.  That gave plenty of places to weld the angle braces extending outward from the receiver.  I'll try to get some pics today if I can.  It wasn't hard; lotsa room to work under there.  

Those 345 are monsters.  BTW, I just saw one on ebay for 500 bucks if you want another spare.  

As to paint....  Don't clear coat.  Get a gallon of Tiger Cut compound and have someone polish it up with that, and forget about it.  No wax to wear off, no paint to dull.  Keep it very simple.  

#24 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

Rick, I think I have a classV hitch you can make work. Just have to pull it off Old Blue.

#25 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Someone just sent me these two pics. Guess he's got the same truck and is pretty knowledgable about them. Gotta love the Corn Heads on the IH forums....

Stepvanchassis2.jpg

Stepvanchassis.jpg

#26 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Rick, I think I have a classV hitch you can make work. Just have to pull it off Old Blue.

Let me guess....your kitchen is sick and needs a visit from The Wood Docktor?.....:lol:

#27 Charlie Foxtrot

Charlie Foxtrot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,378 posts
  • Interests:Thistle #3130

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

What kind of power?

Okay, we've got to start gathering rattle-cans for "Son of the Amazing Technicolor Corn-Binder".  I've got a can of - swear to gawd -  "Safety Purple" I'd love to donate.  

#28 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Someone just sent me these two pics. Guess he's got the same truck and is pretty knowledgable about them. Gotta love the Corn Heads on the IH forums....

Stepvanchassis2.jpg

Stepvanchassis.jpg

Finding a good forum is so important to keeping one of these things together.  Info from the right forum (including some folks around here), and parts from Rock Auto are what keep my truck going strong.

#29 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Haven't used R/A yet (hate their website and search engine)....butI've been having good luck with Northern Auto Parts lately. And Summit. Might be worth a try for ya next time....

#30 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

What kind of power?

Okay, we've got to start gathering rattle-cans for "Son of the Amazing Technicolor Corn-Binder".  I've got a can of - swear to gawd -  "Safety Purple" I'd love to donate.  

I have part of a can of Nash Metropolitan engine green leftover from a recent rebuild...

#31 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Haven't used R/A yet (hate their website and search engine)....butI've been having good luck with Northern Auto Parts lately. And Summit. Might be worth a try for ya next time....

I hated the R/A site too, but once I got used to it, I could find stuff in the blink of an eye. (i looked up your brake shoes in about 30 seconds.)   Summit is cheaper every once in a while.  The great thing about R/A is that you can track down part numbers for various brands for any given item (with pictures).  If it is a big ticket item, I'll run the part number through a search on Amazon, and sometimes find a cheaper deal elsewhere, or just do a google search, which usually turns up an Amazon link.  

The other thing about R/A is that if you are using non-stock parts, it can help you identify what will fit and what won't.  For my 6.5 diesel, GM upgraded the cooling system a couple of years after my truck hit the road.  The big diesel shops make a tidy sum by packaging the various parts into a cooling system upgrade that tacks on a nice chunk for their knowledge of what parts work.  R/A helped me get that knowledge myself, by just a doing a bit of diligent work at looking at later model years and the parts for them.  The way the drop down menus work makes that easy.  

#32 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Well then, next time I've got an extra 8-ball laying around and have some time to kill, I'll do a few lines and give 'em another try.....:lol:

#33 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Btw Sol, any clue what a right windshield is gonna cost me for this thing? Seems like the brakes once worked well enough for the p/o to slam a 2 x 4 into it....

#34 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Btw Sol, any clue what a right windshield is gonna cost me for this thing? Seems like the brakes once worked well enough for the p/o to slam a 2 x 4 into it....

Glass is usually a local item, I think. Not sure about cost but once I'm done mowing and trimming the yard I'll have a look. What year is it?

#35 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

1974, Grumman Olson body, 77"(?) wide body. Not the eight footer.....

#36 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

I don't see much help online.  The shortcut site is stepvanparts.com, where you pay a good bit more for someone else to do all of the legwork on finding this stuff for you, but even they don't have front window glass.  I suspect that is going to be a local item.  You have to have a Safelite out there, probably several.  

#37 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,352 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

1377360136.jpg

Rico, WTF are you going to do with that bread van???  Kidnap neighborhood children and sell them to Romanian sex gangs?  Medical Marijuna home delivery?  What?

#38 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'm sure I can find one----I've got at least three dozen junk yards within 10 miles of the house----and they're all inter-connected by radio. Pretty cool to walk into one place in say Wilmington, ask for a spindle, then if they don't have it they get on the radio and ask if anyone else in Los Angeles has one. And someone usually does. One of the better ideas of the past 20 years....

1377360136.jpg

Rico, WTF are you going to do with that bread van???  Kidnap neighborhood children and sell them to Romanian sex gangs?  Medical Marijuna home delivery?  What?

Candy....

#39 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

Like they say, Sol, Al & Tipper are the smartest mo-fo's on the planet.....:lol:

http://www.autogeeko...ons-please.html

#40 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

I have to call Jaimes Auto Glass on Monday to get the windshield put back into the Met, I can ask him, you will have to source your own rubber though.

#41 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Rubbers I got.....

#42 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Rubbers I got.....

They did have the rubber kits and installation tools on stepvanparts.  

#43 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

El Pollo Loco

#44 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

btw the US gets most of it's oil from Canada...

#45 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

Is that why our pancakes taste for shit?....

#46 Shibby

Shibby

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

fracking Canadians

#47 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

fracking Canadians

You, good Sir, rip....

#48 Ancient_Mariner

Ancient_Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

That settles it. You sir, ARE fucking nuts.

#49 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

Expect this gurl at your place on your FWA. Can't really have a sex & drug & rock-n-roll party without a proper van, ya know....

#50 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,059 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

Rubbers I got.....

Good news there ... as charming as you are, I suspect the world has filled its necessary quota of Boothies.

btw ... as a tree-hugging, wingless-kitten protecting lefty, I have to say, those vehicles don't offend me in the slightest. You've recycled some old vehicles which more than makes up for the extra fuel you'll burn.

Apparently, you're a tree-hugging, wingless-kitten protecting lefty just like me. I still have your address, would you like me to send you a membership card along with a few Jello Biafra and Michael Parenti monologues?

#51 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

I'm a carpenter & wood worker, Mikey. I get paid to kill trees for a living......

#52 puffyjman

puffyjman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts
  • Interests:j-boats, growing jalapenos and other horticultural experiments, chocolate labs,(R.I.P. Dexter my friend) bitching and complaining

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Your a crazy fucker Boothie! Too bad you live on the wrong coast cause I could see a lot of hell raising between you and I. I say stripper pole and some velvet and a good sound system and there's a party.

#53 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

1174665_176341315882994_141366013_n.jpg

#54 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

Rubbers I got.....

Thanx----I'm going back over there in a few to clean out the ratz nest, and I'll see how bad they are....

(btw, you got a pic of yours? Don't recall ever seeing her)

#55 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

What gave it away? :rolleyes:

Ricky, you bring the drums by the shop, I'll clean them up for you, maybe show some of the scrubs what brakes used to look like. Yeah, I need some wood butchery, my skilz in that dept pale in comparison to my mechanical godliness.  :P

The rubber isn't going to be reusable, you will want to strip and polish under the rubber while you have a chance, flat glass is fairly easy to replace, all you need is a piece of string to install it.

#56 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:59 PM

Rubbers I got.....

Thanx----I'm going back over there in a few to clean out the ratz nest, and I'll see how bad they are....

(btw, you got a pic of yours? Don't recall ever seeing her)

I think they are on a different machine than this one, but I'll look.  There are several online already, in one of the threads where Simple Jack's "truck" was being discussed.  I'll find them.  

#57 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:08 AM

2rwtgfo.jpg

That was before the compounding.  It's pretty shiny now.  

The other side is here:

http://forums.sailin...29740&p=3515421

#58 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

Step. Van. Porn.....

http://www.jalopyjou...ad.php?t=282902

#59 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:31 AM

2rwtgfo.jpg

The other side is here:

You don't do a lotta driving down school hallways in that thing, do you.....

#60 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

You guys should start a Zeppelin owners forum.

#61 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

You guys should start a Zeppelin owners forum.

That's a titantic idea....

#62 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

They don't just cover the miles, they punish the miles as they go.  

#63 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:33 AM

Oh, the humanity!

#64 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

Oh, the humanity!

Having done highway miles with the truck empty. and with it loaded to the gills, I can say that it is a breeze to drive when  it is loaded.  The crosswinds are not nearly as problematic.  They are meant to do one thing really well: haul crap from A to B.  They will pull, but that isn't their primary purpose.  Steps must be taken to keep things cool.  

#65 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:29 AM

Sol

Using this as a RV or a workhorse ?

#66 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:37 AM

Sol

You'd be amazed of the stuff that folks come up with.....

http://denningrvtrav...at-we-dont.html

http://www.gadling.c...-rolling-rooms/

#67 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:38 AM

2rwtgfo.jpg

The other side is here:

You don't do a lotta driving down school hallways in that thing, do you.....
That thing wouldn't survive 15 minutes in 'Pedro without getting tagged, even if it was moving!!

#68 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,059 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:45 AM

0_interior2.jpg

Sol

You haven't seen the interior yet?

Sol built the ultimate LOVE machine for he and the missus.

Any cat can fill a step van with sails, tools, spars and beer. But Sol fills his step van with 109%, not-from-concrete, LOVE, baby.

#69 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:50 AM

Sol

You'd be amazed of the stuff that folks come up with.....

http://denningrvtrav...at-we-dont.html

http://www.gadling.c...-rolling-rooms/
Oddly enuf, I'm in the process of going down the same path, except in a time-warped Euro-trash parallel universe sort of way.

Higher mpg camper van, . . .maybe

04_GalleryZoom_zps43a90110.jpg

#70 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Just picked up a 2007 VW Multivan.

Another whole world of trouble.

Leather everything, five cylinder turbo diesel with a six speed auto.

Two electric sliding doors.. 

Wife loves it, gotta say the interior setup is excellent and drives so well.

But I can see my life slipping away keeping it on the road, I suspect I will end up envying you Boothy.

#71 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

Sol

Workhorse.  It was a maintenance truck for the school board.  Judging from the shelves inside, and a little bit of residual materials I found inside, I'd say it was a plumber's truck.  It already had shelving on either side, and a work bench in the back, along with auxiliary lighting in the back.  It has enough room for the sails and gear for two boats, plus all of my tools.  So it is a mobile storage locker, work shop, and tow vehicle.

#72 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

1377360136.jpg

Excellent Boothie, excellent, I can see this beast in an episode of C.S.I. no wait,, S.V.U., it has a small window in the side, and the wording "FREE CANDY FOR UNDER 16Y.O.s' written in red crayon under the window..

2 arms are waving out the window, 1 shaking a single thong, screaming and yelling, and trying to swat away a S.W.A.T. team...

A call comes over the radio, "the owner is a known gun lover, and may have a small arsenal aboard".

Discussions amongst the higher-ups, should they bring in the home-made town wrecking bulldozer, or maybe get the boat breaking grapnel from the RACOON  and "do a number" on the scoundrel within..??

Fuck, this just writes itself.

After you sell it to the production company, there should be enough cash left over to buy a Mazda Miata and you and the 'gator could start a car apprecation society.

With guns.

#73 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

1377360136.jpg

Excellent Boothie, excellent, I can see this beast in an episode of C.S.I. no wait,, S.V.U., it has a small window in the side, and the wording "FREE CANDY FOR UNDER 16Y.O.s' written in red crayon under the window..

2 arms are waving out the window, 1 shaking a single thong, screaming and yelling, and trying to swat away a S.W.A.T. team...

A call comes over the radio, "the owner is a known gun lover, and may have a small arsenal aboard".

Discussions amongst the higher-ups, should they bring in the home-made town wrecking bulldozer, or maybe get the boat breaking grapnel from the RACOON  and "do a number" on the scoundrel within..??

Fuck, this just writes itself.

After you sell it to the production company, there should be enough cash left over to buy a Mazda Miata and you and the 'gator could start a car apprecation society.

With guns.

You may wanna read this thread someday.....when you're sober.....

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=122894

#74 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

A few casual observations and unsolicited comments (because that's pretty much what this whole forum is all about)

1.  Your driveway needs a lot of work, and can that other car even get out?

2. Your camping trip has the hood up on the International, hopefully not serious.

3. That van is hilarious, and I really wish you kept the apocalypse trailer, it would have made an awesome pairing.

4. If you were serious about lifting the van, wouldn't it tip over in the slightest breeze?

5  Did I miss what you wanted to use it for?

#75 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

It sounds like the Stepvan will be used for fun. A hard working van gets a great retirement. May it be long and joyful.

#76 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

A few casual observations and unsolicited comments (because that's pretty much what this whole forum is all about)

1.  Your driveway needs a lot of work, and can that other car even get out? Not my driveway.

2. Your camping trip has the hood up on the International, hopefully not serious. We were at 3900 feet, and I noticed my vacuum gauge was reading a bit low. Just checking for busted hoses.

3. That van is hilarious, and I really wish you kept the apocalypse trailer, it would have made an awesome pairing. Yeah, me too. But that trailer went to a good cause----now it's a portable solar panel/electric generating machine that gets rented out for big events somewhere in Central Cali.

4. If you were serious about lifting the van, wouldn't it tip over in the slightest breeze? Agreed. But now I'm thinking that just swapping in a wider Dana 60/70 in there with lock-out hubs would suffice.

5  Did I miss what you wanted to use it for? Hunting, fishing, working, camping, off road shows-----drinking.....

There ya go....:lol:

#77 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,140 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Many Steeler fans drive to the game and watch  it on tv from the parking lot.  They think they get better reception

if they are closer.

to see a Fucking Sucking charger game

you have to be close the the Stadium 

of the Visiting team 

And it matters Not

Someone take em PLEASE !!!!!

#78 Nacradriver

Nacradriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts
  • Interests:Fast things

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

Spent a whole summer dricing one of thos things delivering furniture....... 

Get some good noise cancleing earphones..

#79 Figment

Figment

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

yup.

That goes for the E350 camper too.    Though I do kinda miss those big tripod mirrors.

#80 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

yup.

That goes for the E350 camper too.    Though I do kinda miss those big tripod mirrors.

The engine cover on the Nurse's Tioga is steel, with a bit of foil insulation inside of it. She can just hear herself belch when the engine's running. The engine cover on the step van however is less than an 1/8" thick shell of fiberglass. With no insulation. So on a good day, I just might be able to hear an RPG going off in the back.....

#81 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

yup.

The engine cover on the Nurse's Tioga is steel, with a bit of foil insulation inside of it. She can just hear herself belch when the engine's running. The engine cover on the step van however is less than an 1/8" thick shell of fiberglass. With no insulation. So on a good day, I just might be able to hear an RPG going off in the back.....

Take the cover off, and take a piece of engine room insulation.  Lay it in where it hooks on the bottom lip and curves around to where it hooks into the top lip, with just enough arch to make contact with the cover.  Pressing the cover on will tension it.  I did that almost on day one with mine, because of the heat, not the noise.  The sides still allow some noise and heat, but it is much improved.  The biggest noise is shit bouncing around in the stern.  Every little bump rattles stuff around, unless the truck is loaded down to the point that the suspension is actually doing something.  

#82 Ancient_Mariner

Ancient_Mariner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:44 AM

Expect this gurl at your place on your FWA. Can't really have a sex & drug & rock-n-roll party without a proper van, ya know....

Haha! Good luck getting it up my driveway.  Better put a big-ass engine and/or 4wd in it.

Just have the babes carry the coke in...keep it safe (?).  I've got the rock & roll covered.  7 speaker sets in the house + a piano.  Vinyl, 8-track, cassette, 8mm, CDs, and of course lots of digital.

#83 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

Haha! Good luck getting it up my driveway.  Better put a big-ass engine and/or 4wd in it.

Just have the babes carry the coke in...keep it safe (?).  I've got the rock & roll covered.  7 speaker sets in the house + a piano.  Vinyl, 8-track, cassette, 8mm, CDs, and of course lots of digital.

With a 465 4speed and a Cornbinder motivator, he could put it in granny low and walk beside it as it idled it's way in.

In Go-heads! B)

#84 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,352 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

5  Did I miss what you wanted to use it for? Hunting, fishing, working, camping, off road shows-----drinking.....

Dude, you're missing probably THE most important use of a van like that....... you could set up a portable reloading bench in the back and take that bad boy to the range.  Fire a few rounds, reload, fire a few rounds, etc.  That would be a bench shooters wet dream.

You could also turn it into a mobile gun shop/gunsmith business and take it on the road.  Think of it as a 2nd Amendment roadshow in all 50 states.  Take the message to the people promoting gun safety, responsibility, etc. 

A boy can dream......

#85 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,059 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

Dude, you're missing probably THE most important use of a van like that....... you could set up a portable reloading bench in the back and take that bad boy to the range.  Fire a few rounds, reload, fire a few rounds, etc.  That would be a bench shooters wet dream.

You could also turn it into a mobile gun shop/gunsmith business and take it on the road.  Think of it as a 2nd Amendment roadshow in all 50 states.  Take the message to the people promoting gun safety, responsibility, etc. 

A boy can dream......

THE most important use for a step van isn't smithing guns Jeff.

Ask Sol or Owen ... THE most important use for a step van is what happens when a jar of mayonnaise, two rubber chickens, a roll of black plastic and your very special lady come together in the back of that step van, to make sweet, sweet love, 200%, full strength drip, le créme de passion, baby, a little Barry White on the 8-track, and an electric degausser for that special lady.

Oh la la.

THAT's the most important use. Smithing guns currently ranks at 48th most-important things to do in a step van, between Ben Wa balls and judicious application of volatile organic compounds.

#86 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,352 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:32 AM

No way, mikey.  You're thinking "panel van".  A stepvan is MUCH more specialized than that.

#87 R Booze

R Booze

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,576 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

No way, mikey.  You're thinking "panel van".  A stepvan is MUCH more specialized than that.

He's actually thinking bread truck. aka 'bread sleds'.

Think Love Sandwich, Jeff.....

#88 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,059 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

The step van love sandwich baby, Sol knows all about that ... there's a reason why his sails smell faintly of Channel No. 5, chicken fat and axle grease y'know.

When Sol serves a lobster to that special lady, she knows that lobster is going to be buttered in the shell.

I want a step van but realistically, my sporting goods department isn't inflated enough to make proper use of it.

So here's the thing Jeff ... a panel van is a place for that very special lady and an old Windex bottle filled with Grand Marnier. But a step van is a place for that very special lady, two jars of extra chunky peanut butter, a modified enigma rotator and 3 square feet of string reinforced polyethylene. L'amour! Shag carpeting is groovy, shag carpeting with a layer a Cap'n Crunch is kinky. Panel van is here, step van is there. Sorta like the blue stuff that the barber used to dip the combs ... none of us knew what that stuff was, we only knew that things got interesting when it occupied the same space as women, a feather duster and the broken yoke of a Cessna 172.

(I'm not sufficiently perverted for this thread ... where the hell is Guy LeDouche when you need him?)

#89 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

I don't see how a Helms truck would work all that well, not much room in there, and unless you are an exhibitionist, the windows could be an issue...

frostings_helms-truck.jpg

#90 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think Mikey is thinking of a step van interior along the lines of this, but with a more cheesy decor:

Custom%20Van%202-Ton%20Denali.JPG

#91 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Rick you may appreciate this,

I've driven by this place several hundred times and never stopped in.

IMG_3966-L.jpg

Today he had an old right hand drive 800 sitting out front that got my attention.

IMG_3933-L.jpg

So I stopped to look, after a few minutes an old guy came to talk to me about the Scout. He began telling me about his part supply and invited me in to check out his stash of old Scout stuff.

Turns out he used to make them in Fort Wayne IN and has been a collector ever since.

I barely scratched the surface of his inventory, he said he has much, much more on his 90 acres up the hill.

Kind of an eccentric old guy, probably need to be to collect old Scouts and live in Grant CO.

Unbelievable amount of Scout stuff tucked in everywhere. I can just imagine what his acreage looks like. Barely scratched the surface.

IMG_3964-L.jpg

IMG_3942-L.jpg

IMG_3952-L.jpg

#92 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

IMG_3940-L.jpg

IMG_3937-L.jpg

IMG_3939-L.jpg

IMG_3958-L.jpg

#93 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

That sound you hear is Ricky

Fap%20Guy%20Meme.png :P

#94 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,035 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

what was that movie where Clint Eastwood put a 20mm cannon in a van to rob a bank? 

#95 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,035 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

TBLF_1017.jpg

#96 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Thunderbolt and El Mariachi?

#97 silent bob

silent bob

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

1240637_10151635909478207_183633531_n.jp

An air freshener for the El Rickardo!

#98 Figment

Figment

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Excerpt from this guy's will:   Dear Heirs, here's a million dollars worth of scout parts.  Sorry I can't leave you the two million you'll need in order to liquidate this inventory in less than ten years.

IMG_3940-L.jpg

IMG_3937-L.jpg

IMG_3939-L.jpg

IMG_3958-L.jpg

#99 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

A boy can dream......

Tell us about the drive to Hawa'ii, I would imagine taking the "2nd Amendment roadshow" to Alaska might be interesting too.

#100 ropetrick

ropetrick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Tell the Canadians that you are just passing thru. They won't mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users