325 replies to this topic

#1 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

Well a few days to the youth AC, a bit over two weeks to the big AC and a week longer to the ICCCC which might just be the most interesting of all the cat regattas, but as far as Dinghy Anarchy goes the big one is the moth WC in Hawaii in just 6 weeks.

74 entries to date with some big moth names and a sampling of the San Fran AC crowd as well.

Pick a winner from the list here: http://www.regattane...#_registration.

#2 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

How about a few hints from those that know, such as typical breeze strength and direction in mid–October? Sea state for typical breezes?

#3 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,926 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

Bartlett is going to surprise everybody with a great showing.
With Kim running the show, I am certain the event dill be fabulous.

#4 17mika

17mika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Outerridge, Burling, delle Karth, Fletcher.. is that 49er worlds? :D

My money is on the Kiwi!

#5 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

Obviously the best few from last year at Garda have to be in the running.

From AUS, #1 Josh has been sailing a lot of other boats and is presently in the Youth AC, #2 Scott has been some serious training through the Sydney winter, #3 Rob Gough has a new Mach2, AMAC is always quick. Nathan has had a lot of Moth time available after Alinghi was eliminated.

Pete Burling cleaned them all up at the Aust Nationals in January but I doubt he has sailed a moth much since, he is also at the Youth AC.

Dave Lister almost won the NSW regatta at easter agains the same basic group by winning nearly all the races except the important one. Still going very fast but little big regatta experience.

The data shows that October seems to be the lightest winds Hawaii can deliver, not sure how light and how shifty it gets behind the land. If so it might suit Chris Rashley and some of the other UK boats with early take off foils.

Bora is always on the pace and Anthony beat him last time.

I can not see any country outside AUS, NZ, UK and US getting in the top 10.

#6 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,485 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:39 PM

How about a few hints from those that know, such as typical breeze strength and direction in mid–October? Sea state for typical breezes?

Barring a weather event, typical fall conditions on Kaneohe bay are moderate tradewinds. NE at 12-18. Daytime highs in the lower 80s F, night-time lows in the mid 70s - you know, The Usual.

#7 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:06 AM

Great Red Shark, on 29 Aug 2013 - 09:29, said:
Barring a weather event, typical fall conditions on Kaneohe bay are moderate tradewinds. NE at 12-18. Daytime highs in the lower 80s F, night-time lows in the mid 70s - you know, The Usual.

Sounds ideal, wish I was going to be there.

My money is on Scott, not just for sentiment. He's been so close so often I don' think he's going to let another one slip by. All the other big names are a chance, bloody hard to pick a winner. Hopefully a couple more poms get into the top 10 to shake things up.

#8 Mel

Mel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

It will be an amazing event to follow.  Scott mentioned the other day he felt there were around 20 guys who on a good day could win it.  Amazing.

#9 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

It will be an amazing event to follow.  Scott mentioned the other day he felt there were around 20 guys who on a good day could win it.  Amazing.

Which means that there will be another 60+ of us who Scott thinks can not win it, but we are not offended and will have a great time anyway.

#10 aus2479

aus2479

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

I'd say Scott is being generous saying 20 guys could win but it is pretty open. You never hear uk/euros posting any great speeds speeds so I would imagine they will struggle if its windy, Americans will be up there but perhaps not on the top step, usual suspects from aus will be right up there but at this stage you wouldn't bet against Pete burling following the aus nats.

if the last few worlds are anything to go for someone or group has always developed a slight speed edge and won. Supposedly at the last worlds Scott and josh had the pace to just put there bows out in front while the rest of the top 10 were in a shit fight to the top mark.

Which means that there will be another 60+ of us who Scott thinks can not win it, but we are not offended and will have a great time anyway.

#11 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Has the Aus Moth Brigade still been sailing much, or has it devolved?

Bora's finally doing some training though life will be busy with the M24 Worlds a big part of his calendar for the next month.

#12 samc99us

samc99us

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Anyone from the U.K coming? Was reading on the Exocet, also the new Rocket, maybe these guys have something in their quiver for more speed?

#13 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Anyone from the U.K coming? Was reading on the Exocet, also the new Rocket, maybe these guys have something in their quiver for more speed?

..the trick would be for a new development to be tried and proven enough to be effective,,,yet not to have been exposed to racing much,,or the moth world would know about it.........something of a paradox! :mellow:

#14 aardvark_issues

aardvark_issues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Building boats, sailing them, tweaking them, building new ones

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Think there's 5 or 6 UK boats going and possibly one Rocket. Out of the UK bunch you'd have to say Rob Greenhalgh is looking pretty good at the moment but it's always another story once everyone gets together for a worlds.

Hope there's some good blogging to come!

#15 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

Its winter in Aust but in Sydney, particularly from Woollahra SC in the harbour, the amount of moth activity has been frantic, people sailing almost every day of the week and sometimes a dozen boats out on the weekend. There will be some well tuned boats and skippers from this club.

Further south its much colder in Melbourne and Hobart but the mothies from those cities also are putting in a fair effort. Rob Gough is notorous for training in Hobart in near freezing temperatures.

So yes, the top end of the 27 Aust boats will be well on the pace.

#16 MOTH THIS

MOTH THIS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

I really hope Amac does well.

He's done a lot to develop the class to this point with his boats and is the major sponsor of the event

I wonder if the Oracle boys will make a late entries...

#17 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Its winter in Aust but in Sydney, particularly from Woollahra SC in the harbour, the amount of moth activity has been frantic, people sailing almost every day of the week and sometimes a dozen boats out on the weekend. There will be some well tuned boats and skippers from this club.

Further south its much colder in Melbourne and Hobart but the mothies from those cities also are putting in a fair effort. Rob Gough is notorous for training in Hobart in near freezing temperatures.

Thanks Phil.  I enjoy watching Rob sail; he's just so smooth and always fast.  Will Nathan O be back on form do ya reckon?

#18 barney

barney

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

You never hear uk/euros posting any great speeds speeds so I would imagine they will struggle if its windy

Yeah, right... :)

#19 teknologika

teknologika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:50 PM

Thanks Phil.  I enjoy watching Rob sail; he's just so smooth and always fast.  Will Nathan O be back on form do ya reckon?

It depends on how much time he and Goobs spend in the 49er vs the moth for each of their worlds. I would expect him to focus on the 49er at the moment as that is his "day job". All the top guys are distracted at the moment with AC, Youth AC and the 49er worlds so it really throws a cat amongst the pigeons.

I think that there are 10 guys that have the raw speed to win races but IMHO most of the wins be shared between Josh, Scott, Dave, Nathan and Peter B. For non anzacs the ones to watch will be Rob Greenhaigh, Chris Rashley, Anthony K and Bora.

The preparation for this regatta is interesting as all the olympic guys have been busy with other sailing commitments and the non AC sailors have been putting in hour after hour after hour after hour on the water.

#20 aus2479

aus2479

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

You never hear uk/euros posting any great speeds speeds so I would imagine they will struggle if its windy

Yeah, right... :)

For some reason I thought Chris Rast was a USA sailor not SUI so wasn't counting that, still it is another m2 posting a quick speed not at excoet or ninja.

It depends on how much time he and Goobs spend in the 49er vs the moth for each of their worlds. I would expect him to focus on the 49er at the moment as that is his "day job". All the top guys are distracted at the moment with AC, Youth AC and the 49er worlds so it really throws a cat amongst the pigeons.

I think that there are 10 guys that have the raw speed to win races but IMHO most of the wins be shared between Josh, Scott, Dave, Nathan and Peter B. For non anzacs the ones to watch will be Rob Greenhaigh, Chris Rashley, Anthony K and Bora.

The preparation for this regatta is interesting as all the olympic guys have been busy with other sailing commitments and the non AC sailors have been putting in hour after hour after hour after hour on the water.

I'd add a few extra aus sailors to that list.  IMHO unless the americans and euro's have found something(someone all seems too) they will struggle, after all none could live with scott and josh at the last worlds who in turn haven't had it all there way back in aus.

#21 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Some other AUS sailors worth considering include Julian Salter from Hobart who was top 10 last time, John Harris who has been WC in the past, Ben Newling who goes very well in the light and patchy stuff, Les Thorpe who has been sailing moths for ever and has his M2 up with the top group, and Japanese expat Kohei Kajimoto who beat his boss AMAC in the Vic titles last season. I am sure some others will feel they should be on this list too. The 11 entrants from Woollahra have all been putting in a big effort.

#22 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

............ IMHO unless the americans and euro's have found something(someone all seems too) they will struggle,............

...if there's some local knowledge to that K Bay,,the 'mericans might have something of an equalizer,,,,some have done a fair # of events there

#23 SeaWay

SeaWay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Is it justified to ignore this post due to jealousy of not being able to go?

Good luck to everyone who makes it to Hawaii...

As luck goes I could be sitting here with an expensive plane ticket and my Mainfoil would be just as broken, so I guess it all worked out in the end!

Being on 2015 in Aus!

SW

#24 freamo

freamo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

There's mention of the Exocets and Rockets above and we all know that the majority of the fleet will be sailing Mach 2s but will there be many people running other foil packages on the Mach 2s?  Is the Macita foil being used by many?  It sounded like it had potential?

#25 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

Lots to watch while our boats transit to Hawaii.

A couple of hundred support people and countless millions spent so two big cats can decide the AC tomorrow. Then at least I can get a sleep in.

At maybe only a 1/4 million each with only a dozen support crew the 11 CCats are having a crash and burn regatta at Falmouth UK.

The 72s are certainly quick but it seems only a couple of Cs are exceeding moth speeds.

In  about 2 weeks we will have 80 boats with just one designated repair man, (Simon Owen Smith or SOS from Mach2), no cranes, no support boats, no TV based schedules and probably press conferences. Hope you all enjoy following our regatta as much as we enjoy sailing in it.

Follow it http://www.mothworlds.org/hawaii/

#26 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

We'll have Adam May aboard the Anarchy boat here at the Little Cup, talking more about foiling and wings and all things speed like he did today.

#27 Todesfisch

Todesfisch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Flying
    Sailing
    Mathematics
    Whatever

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

Is it going to be possible to watch the MW from shore?

#28 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

Past WC Simon Payne's form guide on Front Page.

#29 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

no real local knowledge at Kaneohe to be had there - just trade winds from the same direction and the occasional squall.

maybe sail over to the marine corps airbase and get a sixty kt puff from the P3s taking off

gonna be a small bay for 20 kt boats.

the real question will be - who will be brave enough to foil over the coral reefs?

also, don't leave your sail out on the lawn - it kills the grass

also there are sea turtles and hammerhead sharks, impact with either will be real bad.  we lost a rudder pod on a 14 a couple of years ago due to a turtle

#30 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

..........also there are sea turtles and hammerhead sharks, impact with either will be real bad.  we lost a rudder pod on a 14 a couple of years ago due to a turtle

...I'm more concerned for the turtle! :unsure:

#31 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

H3 lookout is best imho

#32 Todesfisch

Todesfisch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
    Sailing
    Mathematics
    Whatever

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:29 AM

Thank you.

#33 aus2479

aus2479

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

Any info on who is going fast yet or do we have to wait until the nats start tomorrow? 

#34 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

Any info on who is going fast yet or do we have to wait until the nats start tomorrow? 

...this -just- in......... not too much otherwise :mellow: ....c;mon guys--no need for coverage anymore? <_<

To accommodate the Moth sailors, The Snack bar will be opened, with limited menu, from 10 AM to 12 PM from Thursday, October 10th to Saturday October 19th.

The bar will be opened at 3:00 PM on weekdays instead of 4:00 PM
Weekend hours for the bar remained the same. Saturdays, 10:00 AM and Sundays 9:00 AM.

851563_465007070242766_1042240889_n.pngabout an hour ago

#35 aardvark_issues

aardvark_issues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Building boats, sailing them, tweaking them, building new ones

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

Whats to cover - the event hasn't even started yet. All I know is that Ben Paton has caught a lot of fish!

...this -just- in......... not too much otherwise :mellow: ....c;mon guys--no need for coverage anymore? <_<

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

There will be plenty of coverage...I can promise you that.

Petey on the camera and edits.

Clean on the social media, news stories, and interviews.

Thierry Martinez on the pics.

We all start arriving tomorrow and saturday.  Nationals will be quiet but the main event won't!

Just finished a chat with Jimmy Spithill, who said he is coming over with Laird Hamilton and Robby Naish to come be my guest on the media boat for a day.  That should be fun too.

#37 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Awesome stuff Clean, bring it as usual!

#38 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Petey's on-camera hostess:

http://grettakruesi.com

#39 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

...this -just- in......... not too much otherwise .... c;mon guys--no need for coverage anymore? <_<

Whats to cover - the event hasn't even started yet. All I know is that Ben Paton has caught a lot of fish!

...amongst other things,,mewants to know if all's well for the turtles!! :huh:  :mellow:

...glad to hear there'll be good coverage!........while you're at it,,,maybe put some go-pro's on the turtles--that's be quite a view they've got :rolleyes:

#40 aus2479

aus2479

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

They have been sailing for ages now, someone is likely to know who is going fast and who went to hawaii for the fishing.

#41 MOTH THIS

MOTH THIS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

Nice, I hope you can encourage the use of swimwear as a distraction with her! Looking forward to any updates.....

Petey's on-camera hostess:

http://grettakruesi.com

#42 teknologika

teknologika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:36 AM

US nationals day 1 results, Bora leading with a 2,5,1

http://www.mothworld...-day-1-results/

#43 Todesfisch

Todesfisch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts
    Sailing
    Mathematics
    Whatever

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

H3 lookout is best imho

Kaneohe Beach Park has a nice view of the water.

The yacht club requires sponsorship, according to the helpful lady manning the front desk.

#44 teknologika

teknologika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

No racing today, not enough wind. Bora Gulari takes the 2013 US Nationals title.

#45 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

No racing today, not enough wind. Bora Gulari takes the 2013 US Nationals title.

.......errr,,,he should know by now what it means to win the practice race :(

...................is he eating lots of bananas too??? :huh:

#46 fwoark

fwoark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

Racing canned due to no wind. Bora won the nationals.

#47 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

.....EPIC picture,,,me 'like'

...I sure wish some of the paticipants would share some inside chatter with us maroons back home on th'couch!! :mellow:

....and go team green-machine!!! :rolleyes:  1379682_646106805421529_917191175_n.jpg

1381211_646130375419172_881701913_n.jpg

#48 Kaneohe

Kaneohe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Duh, Sailing

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

Clean,

If you guys are bored since the wind will be light again tomorrow (Sunday).

Bring that media boat out and look for the F18 with the apple green Glaser chute! I'll be singlehanding in the light stuff.

Maybe I'll be sporting the anarchy shirt.

Have you been down to the north end of the sand bar to see the manta rays?

I'm actually hoping the wind kicks in for the Moth fleet but the predicitions don't look good unless they change the SI's so they can start after 4pm

FYI for wind predictions go to www.windfinder.com and split the difference between the Coconut Island/Kaneohe wind speeds and the Kaneohe Marine Corp Base wind speeds. That will be winds on the south end of the bay where the Moth courses will be.

PS FYI, Did you know that Coconut Island IS Gilligan's Island from the 60's TV show?

#49 MOTH THIS

MOTH THIS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

That forecast does not look good at all!!

Nothing over 6 knots predicted for the week. Is that right?

#50 Ncik

Ncik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:19 AM

Are we going to see a non-foiling worlds?

#51 teknologika

teknologika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

Based on that forecast, they may not even get a series in.

#52 Ncik

Ncik

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

oh jeez, 6 knot gusts!

#53 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:43 AM

Clean,

If you guys are bored since the wind will be light again tomorrow (Sunday).

Bring that media boat out and look for the F18 with the apple green Glaser chute! I'll be singlehanding in the light stuff.

Maybe I'll be sporting the anarchy shirt.

Have you been down to the north end of the sand bar to see the manta rays?

I'm actually hoping the wind kicks in for the Moth fleet but the predicitions don't look good unless they change the SI's so they can start after 4pm

FYI for wind predictions go to www.windfinder.com and split the difference between the Coconut Island/Kaneohe wind speeds and the Kaneohe Marine Corp Base wind speeds. That will be winds on the south end of the bay where the Moth courses will be.

PS FYI, Did you know that Coconut Island IS Gilligan's Island from the 60's TV show?

great info Kaneohe - we'll look for you for sure.  Gilligan? For real?

#54 MOTH THIS

MOTH THIS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

Beginning to think it might be a good championship to have missed. Practice race photos show boats foiling in rain squals. No results up yet, FB has GBR Rob winning it..... Must be fast that little main foil he has.

#55 RobG

RobG

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:50 AM

How many converted Hungry Tigers are being un–converted and prep'd for a late entry? :P

#56 MOTH THIS

MOTH THIS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

...I sure wish some of the paticipants would share some inside chatter with us maroons back home on th'couch!! :mellow:

Same, there is a bit on FB.

Practise Race Day. Moth Worlds 2013. The conditions have changed somewhat in Kaneohe Bay. The DOLDRUMS have set in and we are looking at a very light <7kt forecast for the whole week ahead. There is a good chance of a single fleet as opposed to split fleet due to light conditions. The deck has been re-shuffled...........

#57 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

......'yacht-racing' all over again :mellow:

.....it's sad that everyone's practice,prep,and $ can end up in a drift-fest.

............................maybe try and round up some of the manta's to use as main-foils :rolleyes:

....either that,,or you'll no it's time to hit the bar when the turtles are passing you :huh:

......the best days in my life started when I stopped taking sailboat racing seriously!

#58 aus2479

aus2479

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

So it's gone from worrying about hitting turtles to been worried a turtle may hit you.

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

single fleet confirmed!

#60 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

So it's gone from worrying about hitting turtles to been worried a turtle may hit you.

........I'm pretty sure turtles will stay clear ,,given half a chance...

''another slug-moth race--nothing t'see here,guys!'' ^_^

#61 Rohanoz

Rohanoz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:A bad day sailing is still better than a good day at work.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Who will be game enough to unbolt the horizontals...

#62 sosoomii

sosoomii

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Looking good for a British winner then.

#63 aus2479

aus2479

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

........I'm pretty sure turtles will stay clear ,,given half a chance...
                               ''another slug-moth race--nothing t'see here,guys!'' ^_^

I once got overtaken by a duck, I'd imagine been overtaken by a turtle at the worlds would kill morale.

Not so sure about a gbr winner just because it's light, I'd guess it would disadvantage the guys who have been off sailing other things though.

#64 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

...it's not looking good for the green machine...Maas' hull reflects his trademark approach of minimum windage --- which usually is reflected in deck shaping only....''I should be okay as long as I'm flying'' :mellow:

1379682_646106805421529_917191175_n.jpg

....looks like Chris fulled-out the hull since the summer though  :huh:  http://www.flickr.co...57636544162206/

...it's astounding to think how much detail work these tinker-sailors have put into this event

#65 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

Greenhalgh took the practice race, Bora in second.  Mach 2 and Exocet seem pretty similar in speed at the top of the fleet.  A bit early for predictions based on what we are seeing.

#66 SeaWay

SeaWay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Have any locals been threatened with bodily harm after saying "it's it normally like this..."??

#67 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

A bit early for predictions based on what we are seeing.

..it might be a simple matter of checking who's light-weight and been sailing lots :unsure:

#68 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Britain's Greenhalgh Wins Practice Race As Fleet Prepares For Light-Air Conditions

Rare Forecast Brings Uncertainty To World Championship Fleet

Kaneohe Bay, HI (13 October 2013) - A rare October appearance of unstable weather conditions has sent shockwaves through the fleet on the eve of the 2013 McDougall + Maconaghy Moth World Championship, where 80 of the world's fastest dinghy sailors from 15 nations are making final preparations for the prestigious event.  Renowned sailing meteorologist Chris Bedford believes they may have some spare time ahead.  "An upper low continues to move away from the Hawaiian Islands, but the associated upper trough and high cloud remains over the islands," Bedford said.  The trough will keep the subtropical ridge to the North weak, and he expects the usually reliable trade winds to remain sluggish "at least through midweek, and possibly through the end of the week."

Dozens of sailors spent Sunday cutting, shaping, sanding, polishing, and otherwise modifying their boats' foils -- the underwater fins that allow the 11-foot Moth to fly above the waves and reach speeds unheard of just a few years ago -- to optimize them for the expected light winds.

Britain's Rob Greenhalgh drew first blood on the course, taking the easy victory in Sunday's single practice race.  Greenhalgh was unaffected by superstition as he blazed to victory on a squally, shifty Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.  Being a superstitious lot, most sailors will avoid winning the practice race before a major event, but Greenhalgh believes the opposite.  "I took the practice race at the last Worlds [in the International 14 Class] I won, so I'm fine with this one," said the dinghy, skiff, and Volvo Ocean Race veteran.  

Greenhalgh and a small number of British sailors have shown strong light-air performance, adding to the spirited international rivalries on display here in Hawaii.   "There are strong groups from Australia, New Zealand, The UK, the US, and Italy," said California's Zach Maxam. "It's all in good fun, but there's some real national pride here and it definitely adds excitement to the racing."

Detroit's Bora Gulari was crowned US National Champion here over the weekend with a strong win in the 75-boat fleet during last weekend's regatta, but he says conditions will require 'a little bit of everything' to take the 2013 World Title.  "It looks like we'll have some light wind, some medium wind, and possibly a little strong breeze," said Gulari, the last man to win a World Championship on US soil, in the Columbia River Gorge in 2009.  "The very light guys may have a small advantage at times, but whoever can adapt the best to the widely varied conditions here will probably take home the World Championship trophy," Gulari said.

Simon Payne says it may take even more.  "Extreme could be the new normal here in Hawaii," said the 2010 and 2006 Moth World Champion.  "If the forecast proves true, the boys that can get to the ends of the start line to avoid the hole in the middle may find themselves looking very strong at the top mark, and those that can come up with the best foils for the conditions may see some advantage as well."  Payne has stepped away from competition this year to focus on his family, though he continues to contribute to the Moth fleet as coach and scribe.  Read his humorous and insightful breakdown of the Moth Worlds fleet here.

You can find names, sail numbers, and origin for each competitor here.

Racing begins at 1200 tomorrow, with up-to-the-minute coverage on the Moth Worlds Facebook Page.  You can find photo galleries of Nationals and pre-world racing in the Moth World Galleries here.

Photos Are Rights-Free For Editorial Use Only.  Mandatory credit to read “Thierry Martinez/International Moth Class”

Clean Racing Tip Of The Day

As one of the world's most elite racing classes, the International Moth Class believes it essential to emphasize the responsible use of energy and resources in the context of sailing.  Working with 11th Hour Racing, a program of the Schmidt Family Foundation, the Moth Class has come up with a number of initiatives to help all sailing events improve the energy profile and performance of racing boats and increase the personal investment of sailors in the health of our waters. 

Each day, the Moth Worlds fleet will highlight a 'Clean Racing Tip' they've implemented; something that will work for regattas and racing classes around the world.  Here’s today’s tip:

LEAD BY EXAMPLE! Make sure the best sailors in the fleet — the people who everyone else looks to for tuning and strategy advice — are on board with the green program.  This shows the fleet that the green message is for real, and that the values of environmental conservation are truly the values of the sport.

#  #  #

For photos, interview requests, or additional information about the Moth Worlds, please contact us at usmothclass@gmail.com.  

#69 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

You can find names, sail numbers, and origin for each competitor here.

.....it'd be of -great- interest to get sailor weights added to the race-form,,,,,not to mention some details of equiptment!!

.....sounds like there'll be plenty of time in the boatpark :mellow: .

...Moths flopping around sub-foiling is too sad to watch.....maybe get some manta footage--it might be the coolest thing going....

,,,,,,,or round up a few of 'em turtles,,stick #'s on them and form a betting pool 

#70 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thanks , Clean.......

#71 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

The conditions should not come as a surprise. October is the third lightest month for wind in Hawaii. January is slightly lighter with an average wind speed of 9.4. There are lots of sub 7 knots days in October year in and year out. If they wanted to have a foiling regatta then they would have been much more likely to have gotten one in June. July or August.

#72 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Fair comment mark.  Feel like giving us some insider weather analysis for the next few days?

#73 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Sure.  What

Fair comment mark.  Feel like giving us some insider weather analysis for the next few days?

Sure:  What is the race schedule and are they racing inside the Bay?

#74 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Absolutely beautiful place to sail but this time of year, stay in the boat...The pups are just about ready to go out to sea as most are about 6 months old now and food is relatively sparse compared to their growing requirements. 

#75 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Today and tomorrow are ideal for wake boarding with winds 2-4 knots.  Not a lot better tomorrow.  Wednesday gets 9-11 knots and so does Thursday. Friday shuts off again. Maybe try and make Wednesday and Thursday very long days as the peak winds are very early morning.  Break for lunch and then get back on the water for an evening race?

#76 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

preview video is up on the front page

Thanks Mark; racing is noon to whenever, thursday scheduled as lay day at the moment.  

all racing in KB

#77 knuckles

knuckles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

The conditions should not come as a surprise. October is the third lightest month for wind in Hawaii. January is slightly lighter with an average wind speed of 9.4. There are lots of sub 7 knots days in October year in and year out. If they wanted to have a foiling regatta then they would have been much more likely to have gotten one in June. July or August.

I've always encountered at least a few days of Kona conditions when I have visited the Hawaiian islands in October.  As nice as it can be without a lot of the kids at the resorts, the weather is not as 'predictable' as mid-summer or Spring.

#78 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

They need to rethink their regatta schedule IMHO.  Today and tomorrow should be looked at as probably nothing in double digits. Wednesday is the best day with the wind peaking around 5AM @ 12 knots and then dropping off to around 10.  Midday Friday is also kind of Ho-Hum. 9 knots. A little windier in the early AM and then in the evening.

#79 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

....I suppose they were scheduling around the AC thingy

Absolutely beautiful place to sail but this time of year, stay in the boat...The pups are just about ready to go out to sea as most are about 6 months old now and food is relatively sparse compared to their growing requirements. 

....stay in -what- boat?? :blink:

I've always encountered at least a few days of Kona conditions when I have visited the Hawaiian islands in October.  As nice as it can be without a lot of the kids at the resorts, the weather is not as 'predictable' as mid-summer or Spring.

...'Kona' conditions!?!....I'll bet there's more than a few day's yer'd be smokin' the 'gold' :rolleyes:

#80 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

Wind got up to 9 for a minute or two, stayed at 7 for a half hour, and ultimately petered out half the way through the one race attempted.  Forecast looking slightly better for tomorrow, Mark?

#81 teknologika

teknologika

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

Video of the Day 1 abandonment is up ...  http://vimeo.com/76932633

#82 Gibbo_aus

Gibbo_aus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Gday Guys - Josh McKnight is posting update on www.greenandgoldsailing.com.au 

You can see his first post (of a bit of a nothing day) Here

#83 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

Wind got up to 9 for a minute or two, stayed at 7 for a half hour, and ultimately petered out half the way through the one race attempted.  Forecast looking slightly better for tomorrow, Mark?

Clean- Unfortunately no.  Mostly 1-3 knots gusting a mind numbing 5.  There is a glimmer of hope tomorrow (Wednesday) but then things quiet back down Thursday and Friday.

#84 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

....sounds like it's time to get some alternative activities going........

....time to round up some turtles,,stick some #'s on 'em :mellow:

......or toss Clean in with the  baby hammerheads

#85 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

Not looking too flash here.  Well, I mean...it looks gorgeous.  It's Hawaii.

But conditions...good for fishing!

#86 furr_ball

furr_ball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:02 PM

Front page facebook link does not work.

Takes you to a page where you can buy the moth worlds domain....huh?

Attached File  Moth.JPG   79.72K   1 downloads

#87 MOTH THIS

MOTH THIS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

1383160_649232425108967_98550409_n.jpg

At least the reporting is interesting...

#88 furr_ball

furr_ball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

Moth worlds linky......

https://www.facebook.com/mothworlds

#89 Gibbo_aus

Gibbo_aus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

This is a shame.

#90 Gibbo_aus

Gibbo_aus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

the mothworlds Site ends with .org (not .com) as on the front apge

Racing abandoned according to Facebook. Not sure if its AP over A.

I just read the NOR - 4 Races are required to constitute a series

#91 Phil S

Phil S

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

five hours on the water today. Two starts abandoned, two general recalls and three races completed. Max about eight knots, with big holes and frequent low riding for most of the fleet.
Nathan O leads with 2,2,1. Beau would be proud of big brother Banging the left Corner. But it seemed to pay off.
lots of big names a long way down, having parked in wind holes.
Much better wind forecast for tomorrow and Saturday, tomorrow PRO plans an 11.00 start to take advantage of wind.

#92 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

That would be all the "skimming" practice on big red.

#93 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

Thanks Phil!  Not much to add...but the results.  We think these might change a bit, but not sure.

Attached Files

#94 Gibbo_aus

Gibbo_aus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

Josh's update from Day 2 is on  Green and Gold Sailing

#95 freamo

freamo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

was there a lot moaning about it not being fair?  "we shouldn't sail unless we can foil"  "it's a lottery when it's like that" 

Fortunately when someone gets a 1st and two 2nds that gives a fairly robust response.

#96 DaveK

DaveK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

wtf is a ZFP?

I swear just when I think I've heard all the 3 letter acronyms for racing, there pops up another one.

#97 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Not much to add...but the results.  We think these might change a bit, but not sure.

...yehh,,what's the ZFP and TLC in the results??

'

'

#98 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

ZFP is a 20% scoring penalty for being over the line in the final minute before the start with the Z flag up.  All three races were sailed under Z flag.

TLC is I think supposed to be TLE "Time Limit Expired", which should equal # of finishers plus 1.  Anyone that doesn't finish within 20 minutes of the first finisher will get a TLE but only if they sail all the way through the finish line.  

Sorry, acro is 'Z-Flag Penalty'

Maybe TLC is "Time limit complete" or something.  never saw that one before.

#99 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,926 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

Z flag
Time limit

BEN PATTON must have yelled at registration

#100 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,009 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

was there a lot moaning about it not being fair?  "we shouldn't sail unless we can foil"  "it's a lottery when it's like that" 

Fortunately when someone gets a 1st and two 2nds that gives a fairly robust response.

Not much moaning, though a few of the TLE folks were unhappy as you can imagine.  Nath didn't really win a single start; that's what makes it even more incredible of a performance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users