15 replies to this topic

#1 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

I am heading to NZ for most of February.   Looking for some advice on chartering a boat for a 3-4 days in bay islands or auckland area.   I would also like to do a race if there is any worth planning around that time of year.  Open to all suggestions on what to do while in NZ

Thanks

#2 JBE

JBE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

CTD,....Get on the local sailing forum Crew.org .

#3 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

Thanks.  Will do now

#4 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Typicly (non sailing folk) plan to do a month in NZ, spend three weeks in the north Is then a week in the south,  Then wish that they had planned it the other way around (one week in the north the three weeks in the south).

The south Island is much less populated and if you want to do outdoorsy stuff then there is lots to do.

If you want population then there is a lot of places in the world for that, If you want sparce population, and doing your own thing, then the south Island is for you.

I've never sailed out of Auckland but it seems that that is where the most popular sailing happens,  Sailing with Big wind happens in Wellington and there is active sailing out of Nelson.

What do you want from you holiday?

Traveling with Wife and kiddies?

Beer drinking Vacation?

#5 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

The South Island is by far my favorite! And FD is a lucky chap because Nelson is maybe the best place on the South Island (although there are lots of other great places there.)

The North Cape and Bay of Islands are also very nice, but I will spend the majority of my time on the South Island when I return to Kiwi Land.

#6 JBE

JBE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

On land I'd agree. For sailing/ cruising and anchoring each night with tons of bolt holes , its hard to beat the North Eastern coast of the North island between say , Tauranga and North cape with the concentrated cruising areas being  the Hauraki gulf/ Gt Barrier island and  then the Bay of Islands and environs. Lots of other options in between and further north or south. Feb is perfect timing , because most of the christmas cruise rush is over and the anchorages are clearer.

South island sailing tends to be much longer distances between more concentrated spots, magical in its own way from my limited experience, but harder to do in a short period.

#7 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

On land I'd agree. For sailing/ cruising and anchoring each night with tons of bolt holes , its hard to beat the North Eastern coast of the North island between say , Tauranga and North cape with the concentrated cruising areas being  the Hauraki gulf/ Gt Barrier island and  then the Bay of Islands and environs. Lots of other options in between and further north or south. Feb is perfect timing , because most of the christmas cruise rush is over and the anchorages are clearer.
 South island sailing tends to be much longer distances between more concentrated spots, magical in its own way from my limited experience, but harder to do in a short period.

Yes John, I will give you that, cruising easier on the Northeast Coast, lovely too.

I would move to Kiwi Land if SWMBO would allow it, however she wants to stay closer to our children.

#8 Brodie

Brodie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:27 AM

Nothing to add, just that I'm insanely jealous and can I hide in your luggage?

#9 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

The South Island is by far my favorite! And FD is a lucky chap because Nelson is maybe the best place on the South Island (although there are lots of other great places there.)

The North Cape and Bay of Islands are also very nice, but I will spend the majority of my time on the South Island when I return to Kiwi Land.

Yea living in Nelson ain't bad, although it aint all peaches and cream,  We have this thing knowen as the "sunshine tax"  That is living in a place where everyone wants to live,  Has the rather annoying effect of driving house prices up and wages down.

If I lived in NZ in another part of the country (all other things being equal) I'd as an average tradesman have another $100 a week in the pocket.  (mathes done about 7 years ago)

But F it, you just cannot buy being 5 min drive from a good beach, 10 min from the boat and all kinds of really good cycling tracks 48 seconds (ride) from my house, In a climate the is good a lot more often good  than it is bad.

I gets worse,  I get free firewood (and with young kids, a warm house is a happy house),  I cannot eat an apple from the supermarket (spoilt) and the wife told me to stop bringing home free green lip mussles (fresh, as in still alive) because she had had enough of them.

But I have chosen to live here, ( as in I moved from another town to be here ).

Can't complain but sometimes I still do.

#10 Jono

Jono

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:30 AM

How did you get on?

I'd suggest if you only have a few days to save your travel time and charter out of Auckland. Fantastic short hop cruising out of Auckland in the Hauraki Gulf. For racing there is twilight racing nearly every night of the week in central Auckland.

PM me if you are stuck or want advice on choices.

#11 rattus32

rattus32

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

Can't complain but sometimes I still do.

Classic Joe Walsh - "Life's been good to me so far..." One of my all time favorite episodes from "Daryl's House" (online show by Daryl Hall from Hall & Oates) was with him (second song in) :

http://www.livefromd...p.html?ep_id=75

For what it's worth...

#12 crashtestdummy

crashtestdummy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies.  Forgot I had posted this until I started planning this trip again. Sounds like we should spend most of our time on the south island then come back to north island for some sailing.  

Recommend any companies for a 4day/3 night charter?   The sailing was just an afterthought.  The point of the trip is to do some adventurous stuff and see the real side of the island.   I sail plenty when home but wouldn't mind doing it just to say I did while I was there.  

#13 Ajax

Ajax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,307 posts
  • Interests:The sea, women, history, women who like the sea. Racing, crewing, travel, reading, learning.

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

<-------------- Jealous.

#14 fifo

fifo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Www.crew.org.nz

#15 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

Don't know how old you are or wife and kiddies involved, but I was there for 4 months in the mid 90's.  Best thing I did was hook up with Kiwi adventures (bus tour around islands/country)  Didn't think much of it when I first got there, spent a week in Aukland just nosing around, but then hooked up with them.  They go from hostel to hostel and you can come and go as you want with one ticket(change busses and stay in say nelson for 2 days then get nxt tour bus to wherever) then go to next place.  They show you all sorts of things off the beaten path.  Think MTV Road rules at the time.  Days were spent bunge jumping and blackwater rafting, nights were partying till sun comes up if you wanted.  The drivers knew all the locals and took ya around after checking into hostel.  spent 2 months doing that then went sailing.....  Best time ever before wifey and kiddo.  If I was going back for 2+wks I would seriously consider doing the whole thing through one of these companies.  lifelong friends/memories and all that.  

Jealous as hell.....  Good luck

#16 JBE

JBE

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

smallish boats in opua, nice people.

http://www.greatesca...o.nz/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users