cleveland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:art, bikes, sailing

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Howdy,

I posted a design i made for a twin bike sailer here a few months back but it seems the thread is deleted? 

4_zps8ea32b87.jpg

anyway, there was some support and some hate, but i went ahead and built it for burning man it anyway figuring, at least it would be a two person bike. It actually worked really well and was a ton of fun, heres the story:

1002222_10102653936776257_1021724411_n.j

I built it in the dark on the playa after a week of building something much bigger, with an angle grinder and small MIG, so far from perfect, but certainly good enough.

The cut of the sail was terrible, but functional. I cut down an I14 jib, but there was a big bag at the foot. The clew was too high for the traveler bar as well. I just guessed where the traveler bar should be, in retrospect should have mounted the sail first :) The Mast was a windsurfing fiberglass pole about 16'. It was unstayed so it would rotate and furl/reef the sail, and didnt have a boom to hit you. worked pretty well.

Anyway, i cut the mast down a foot to lower the clew, and found by reefing the sail a little i could actually get a good shape, which gave me pretty good upwind for a loose footed bike sailer!

Broad reach was always great (thing flew) but once i improved the sail shape i was able to fly a hull upwind and down, improving angles in both directions. 

Best part was just flying across the desert at dusk, very comfortable, and felt like a martian explorer. biking from party to party at the burn. I would say i reached 25 mph on a beam reach single rider.

As a conglomeration of many things, i was apprehensive that it wouldn't perform. i didn't want to do a recumbent bike, because i wanted people to have a similar experience to regular bicycling. so automatically the CG and CE was much higher. I also didn't want to spend a lot of time making a custom drive train so the bikes simply bolted on and off. I ended up having to weld a lot anyway for the frame, so probably doing a more comfortable reclining recumbent set up would be more efficient and aerodynamic, and lower CG/E anyway, so i guess ill go that route next time. Better sail shape too would be very helpful, so a sail that clears your head with a supported boom would be great. 

I realized that there had to be a traveler to be able to get any decent reaching, and since that was my best hope for power, i added the bar and continuos traveler, which stuck out pretty far, but actually worked pretty well. Since i was apparent wind sailing a lot, having the flatter sail was really important. 

All in all id say it was a success, had a lot of fun sailing it. Additionally being able to bike around when there wasn't any wind, or furl and bike directly into the wind (though usually not necessary unless confined to a street) was easy enough and done often enough that having the bike option was totally worth it. I didn't have gears, and it was still fine throw a ten speed on it next time and it would be even easier. Never needed a hand brake either, just sailed like a boat and used the kick back brake on the beach cruisers for bicycling.

I did find that biking to help generate the initial apparent wind help a great deal to accelerate quickly. 

If people are interested i have a short go pro vid that i'll post and a few more technical photos of the frame and rigging. I will probably be posting an Instructables for it as well in the near future. 

#2 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

You should have a naked hippie chick hiked out to windward! You did say Burning Man, right? Good work to actually get out there and build it, more pics and video if you have it.

#3 jimx

jimx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

That. Is. Awesome.

#4 Murphness

Murphness

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer, Skiing and other outsidey things

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

Love it! Did you see my buddies 30' mast dance platform thingy while there? Big group of sailors were there. I'm sure they would've loved to see this thing! Keep up the good work!

#5 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

I remember the original topic.  Nice job problem solving and getting it done and working. 

#6 Paul Romain Tober

Paul Romain Tober

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Try putting some air in the tires.

Romain

#7 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,198 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

.......'bloCart' beGONE--that thing ROCKS!!! :rolleyes:

#8 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

Um...should'nt you be sitting to windward. Come on man, sitting to lee is slow. What's it rate?

#9 jimx

jimx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

Seriously doubt leeway is a problem here. Sitting to leeward and flying a hull is fast.

It rates two thumbs up!

#10 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:02 AM

Well done !

#11 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,004 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

now that they are using cats, you should mount a challenge for the AC :blink:

#12 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,830 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

Were you the guy who did a Kickstarter here a couple years ago to build an old car into a schooner to sail around on the playa? I remember your girlfriend was going to make gifts for the donors out of sailcloth. Same guy?

That was a sweet project, I assume it didn't get funding, Kickstarter never charged my credit card. If you're the same guy, I love that you just went out and made something anyway. The bicycle sailer is pretty impressive, I like it.

#13 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,334 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

Um...should'nt you be sitting to windward. Come on man, sitting to lee is slow. What's it rate?

He's doing the "Wild Thing" very common in the light

We Must All Think Multi Now !!  B)

#14 RandyM81

RandyM81

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Multihulls

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

That's fantastic.  I love it.  Would be great to see more pictures.

#15 Peccadillo

Peccadillo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, skiing

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

That's cool - video please :)

#16 Omer

Omer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Put a decent sail on it. Grab an old windsurf sail at least. Also solves the boom problem.

Put a sliding seat between the bikes, to shift position easily and go tacking, jibing..

Wonderful.. Have fun...

#17 PonderousPelican

PonderousPelican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

You should have a naked hippie chick hiked out to windward! You did say Burning Man, right? Good work to actually get out there and build it, more pics and video if you have it.

+1

#18 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

I love how you ignored the hate and stepped up and built the thing! Great job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users