#1 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

So-Been a big boat sailor for lo these many years, just getting into Finns

The camelback thread got me to wondering-where to you keep your water?  Was thinking metal water bottles with a sail tie run through the tops, tied to something in the boat at one end.  Good idea?  What do people do?

Also-what's for lunch?  Powerbars?   Where do you keep them?  Drybag sloshing around in front of the centerboard trunk?

Been out practicing a bit, but haven't done a regatta or been in a dinghy for a full day for years and years, and do like to make sure there's  a plan for lunch...

#2 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

I like the plastic biking bottles, inexpensive and fit perfectly into the inexpensive bottle holders which all have a standard hole spacing so if you break one it's easy to replace. I've seen bottles through loops of bungee and I've seen them floating around the bottom, bungee and bottle holders seem to work best as they stop the bottle from getting underfoot.

Lunch is a powerbar, but I only eat lunch if I'm out for a long time. Mainly I just don't get hungry as I'm concentrating on sailing and keeping myself hydrated between races. I normally stash 3 in the pocket of my lifejacket and let it be (then I have something to eat and if somebody else needs on the water I have spare).

I have seen some boats (particularly contenders) that have a bag/pouch attached to an inspection port cover in the stern-deck. Easy access for lunch storage. My contender had a short line and a pouch when I first got it, both were inside an inspection port. I did do a few races with that system but I didn't like the sound of the bottle shifting inside the boat.

#3 View from the back

View from the back

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

So-Been a big boat sailor for lo these many years, just getting into Finns

The camelback thread got me to wondering-where to you keep your water?  Was thinking metal water bottles with a sail tie run through the tops, tied to something in the boat at one end.  Good idea?  What do people do?

Also-what's for lunch?  Powerbars?   Where do you keep them?  Drybag sloshing around in front of the centerboard trunk?

Been out practicing a bit, but haven't done a regatta or been in a dinghy for a full day for years and years, and do like to make sure there's  a plan for lunch...

In my Finn, and yours as well I'd imagine, there is a pad eye at the back of the cockpit that your back hiking straps ties to.  There's also a pad eye at the top of the back of the cockpit where a shock cord fastens to hold your aft hiking strap UP.  I run a shock cord between those two, so that it is up against the back of the cockpit "wall".  I make two sandwiches with the little sandwhich slims, put 'em both in a baggie, and then use that vertically running shock cord to hold it out of the way, against the back of the cockpit.

Water?  I just toss in a few water bottles alongside the centerboard trunk.

Who's boat did you buy?

#4 MattyB73

MattyB73

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Boats. Wind. Beer. Order varies.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

I like bananas and chocolate bars afloat between races.  Already wrapped up and waterproof and got all you need.

You don't need the chocolate bars, but they are yum and they help you hike your arse off up the last beat and pump your way downhill...

Water - cycling bottles and bungy somewhere easy to reach and replace always works for me. I don't like them slopping around on the floor and getting tangled in lines/under my feet.

#5 Dex Sawash

Dex Sawash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

Apples.

No wrappers or garbage. Taste largely the same no matter how many times you step on them.

Unaffected by bilge water.

LF Herreshoff says to eat the whole thing, stem seeds and all.

LFH did not mention what to do with the bar code sticker, I usually peel those off.

#6 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,195 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:00 AM

where to store water/gatorade/beer is class specific, so view from the back got you covered there. For food, i usually carry some granola/naturevalley bars in my lifey and/or someplace convenient in the boat. I dont ever take "real" food in the boat - its just not practical on mine. If i have a friend thats coaching, or a friend being coached, i try to keep extra water or food with them. 

#7 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

planters or payday peanut bars, no melt, buffered glucose

#8 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,646 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

I do not know a 32 syllable cuss word much less how to properly apply it to nearby sailors. There's just no way I could get a decent start or buoy room in a Finn fleet.

#9 Luke Piewalker

Luke Piewalker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:Sailing and cycling and Guitarring

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

I used a loop of bungee cord to hold my water bottle to one of the centreboard case support struts (obviously, this only works if you have centreboard case support struts). You could also attach a dry bag to one of these.

#10 some dude

some dude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

Thanks all. Good advice. Bananas and chocolate are tasty at home but sound like a heartburn machine in the boat. I do enough wallying around without water bottles and apples rolling around under foot-loops of bungee here and there sounds like the plan. View-got my hands on a Charles H boat. Where are you?

#11 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Apples.

No wrappers or garbage. Taste largely the same no matter how many times you step on them.

Unaffected by bilge water.

LF Herreshoff says to eat the whole thing, stem seeds and all.

LFH did not mention what to do with the bar code sticker, I usually peel those off.

Yep

Zackly

Apples are good for you too

Another fave o'mine from LFH is that butter is merely a pleasant-tasting grease used by lazy people to swallow their food without properly chewing it first.

FB- Doug

#12 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

....for longer days on the water,,I like to combine my fluid intake and nutrition ,,,I use a  miso soup base,,with lemon juice and of course water.

...this mix is easily portable,,,has all the elements of nutrition needed,as well as the salts/vitimins/amino's necessary,,without any energy lost to digestion.....be sure to remove the lemon-pits or they can clog the bottle's squirt-top! :P

#13 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Food will only slow you down.  The Finn is a physical boat - so its a lot like a bicycle enduro race.  Which means that if you are rreally going to be hammering it, Cyclomate or any of the aerobic endurance specific mixes you can get at a bike shop mixed at double concentration will work best on a boat.  Bannanas do have potassium but the problem is that absorbtion takes at least 4 hrs.  You are better off carrying 2-3 Tums and if you start feeling muscle fatigue chew on those BEFORE the cramps show up.

I've also had good luck with tossing in a scoop of Branch Chain Amino Acid powder (BCAA) into the drink bottle.  It gives the protein signal to your brain and it also has the added benefit of increasing muscle endurance and recovery marginally

#14 surf nazi

surf nazi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Food will only slow you down.  The Finn is a physical boat - so its a lot like a bicycle enduro race.  Which means that if you are rreally going to be hammering it, Cyclomate or any of the aerobic endurance specific mixes you can get at a bike shop mixed at double concentration will work best on a boat.  Bannanas do have potassium but the problem is that absorbtion takes at least 4 hrs.  You are better off carrying 2-3 Tums and if you start feeling muscle fatigue chew on those BEFORE the cramps show up.

I've also had good luck with tossing in a scoop of Branch Chain Amino Acid powder (BCAA) into the drink bottle.  It gives the protein signal to your brain and it also has the added benefit of increasing muscle endurance and recovery marginally

First, bananas are bad luck so don't bring them. I have found the best thing for the finn are the gel energy thingies like the bike folks use. Sometimes the finn can be a bit wet so sammies and even powerbars can be problematic. Some people put bike water bottle cages on the centerboard struts or the cockpit inspection port covers. I just throw my bottles in the bottom next to the centerboard.   

So where are you sailing ? We have a couple of events coming up in the next month or so down here in the sunny south. if you're interested, feel free to pm me.

#15 Hobie Dog

Hobie Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

I have never sailed a Finn but on my Laser I have some water bottle koozies that go over the entire bottle and have a carabiner clip on the top that I can clip into the hiking strap line in the aft end of the cockpit. I also have an inspection port bag that works great for storing snacks or additional drinks. I have not noticed bottles banging around in there but I would not put glass or metal in there.

For club racing and if it’s not going to be too windy I just strap a small soft sided cooler in the back of the cockpit and can put a bunch of stuff in there.

For lunch, that’s easy I just strap a big old pizza up on the bow. RC knows not to call me over early if they want a slice between races! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users