800 replies to this topic

#1 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

What happened when MSP came to consult with Stingray?

Or SWS fell in the harbour and corrected his cognitive problems?

Or Gauchogreg rode into town on a horse?

This thread is for your town-and-around gossip.

Stinger et al have a few posts under "AC Spotting".

But this is more than that. 

Who said and did what?

After all the bullshit, what is like (from your perspective) in SF?

#2 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

Reply to your own post. Fine old SA tradition.   Ten points so far: 

1. Hot and minimal wind in SF

2. Almost nobody wearing team gear. Few signs of a big regatta getting under way tomorrow.  Have not seen even one Oracle shirt. And only a few kiwi ones.

3. Being dressed in TNZ gear, a few people want to talk. But they know SFA about the AC

4. At the "AC Park" (pier 27) food and drink is VERY expensive and today they were showing that pukep-worthy ("Larry As Hero") wind gods movie. Do they have PJ's consent to use his voice in that awful movie?

5. Only half the super yacht pier is occupied. Tons of space for your superyacht registered in Georgetown

6. TK put on a show by accidently knocking over an 11 oz glass of Moa pale ale (at the Waiheke Yacht Club - bloody expensive mate!). Just did the laundry in the hotel room.

7. There are a lot of tourists in SF but they are not here for the Cup.

8. My knowledge and affection for Chinese life paid off when I scored an Asian-owned hotel near the waterfront.  Even so, $130 USD per night!

9. Compared to Valencia, things here are REALLY spread out. On the basis of only one look-see, I would say Valencia was better. Of course, being in Spain, there are advantages.

10. Just took the Market St to Van Ness cable car - $6 USD. Will buy the stored value tx tomorrow.

CONDITIONS ARE VERY LIGHT AND, AS SUCH, FAVOUR ORACLE (Remember the clean undercarriage). 

P.S. Now going out to track down Renny and the Stingmeister.

#3 kenergy

kenergy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

Mate, I hope you did a table suck on that spilled Moa, it sounds more valuable than gold up there.

Enjoy the evening and keep up the posts, love to hear about the venue and atmosphere.

#4 bottlerocket

bottlerocket

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:17 AM

Headed there tomorrow from Texas.  I was just commenting to my wife that no one around here is even following the AC.   Not surprised all the tourists there don't know of the regatta.   

It's stunning to me that LE with all his resources and experience did not pony up a strong marketing type to get this thing off the ground.   It a shame for SF and for the AC.

#5 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,449 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

You ought to look up hasting while you're there, kia ora too.

#6 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

Met two great Anarchist friends today, had a stroll around the Park (yes, expensive) and the Village (kind of closed since no racing). Super mood all around, sunny, warm, Mediterranean spirits, although jet-lag sets in. Nice super yachts to look at, mega friendly staff at the Park and Village. Looking forwards to the get-together in about an hour and the races tomorrow.

#7 Nutta

Nutta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:Technology, motorsport, fishing, photography, boats and all things that float.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

If any kiwis in SF find John Navas could you please buy him a drink from me? PM me to arrange repayment!

#8 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

Reply to your own post. Fine old SA tradition.   Ten points so far: 

1. Hot and minimal wind in SF

2. Almost nobody wearing team gear. Few signs of a big regatta getting under way tomorrow.  Have not seen even one Oracle shirt. And only a few kiwi ones.

3. Being dressed in TNZ gear, a few people want to talk. But they know SFA about the AC

4. At the "AC Park" (pier 27) food and drink is VERY expensive and today they were showing that pukep-worthy ("Larry As Hero") wind gods movie. Do they have PJ's consent to use his voice in that awful movie?

5. Only half the super yacht pier is occupied. Tons of space for your superyacht registered in Georgetown

6. TK put on a show by accidently knocking over an 11 oz glass of Moa pale ale (at the Waiheke Yacht Club - bloody expensive mate!). Just did the laundry in the hotel room.

7. There are a lot of tourists in SF but they are not here for the Cup.

8. My knowledge and affection for Chinese life paid off when I scored an Asian-owned hotel near the waterfront.  Even so, $130 USD per night!

9. Compared to Valencia, things here are REALLY spread out. On the basis of only one look-see, I would say Valencia was better. Of course, being in Spain, there are advantages.

10. Just took the Market St to Van Ness cable car - $6 USD. Will buy the stored value tx tomorrow.

CONDITIONS ARE VERY LIGHT AND, AS SUCH, FAVOUR ORACLE (Remember the clean undercarriage). 

P.S. Now going out to track down Renny and the Stingmeister.

Great start to your visit, TK - apart from the spilt beer.

If you go by the compound, remember to offer some soothing words to NZL 5's taniwha. They'll be amped.

Have a good one.

#9 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

In Valencia you couldn't watch the races from many miles of shoreline.

#10 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:10 AM

If any kiwis in SF find John Navas could you please buy him a drink from me? PM me to arrange repayment!

Yes, agree with that.

I just met Comrade Stingray in Cow Hollow. He and I have had issues but, meeting F2F calls for cordiality and courtesy.

He is the first I have seen fully decked-out in Oracle gear!  [although he claims there are others if I look hard enough]

It is VERY hard to know where to watch the races.

It is a long way from the Marina Green to the AC Park (Pier 27) end. 

The AC Store at PIer 27 is absolute shit. No team stuff there. Just (I assume) ACEA stuff made to look like team gear. Poorly designed, printed on shit fabric and offered at outrageous prices.  The best deal in there is the Program (at $15). 

It is a long walk from Pier 27 (the AC "park) to the TNZ/LR bases and even further to OR.   It is obvious organisers just gave up on any "village" idea. This was one thing Ernesto did quite well.

Having seen the "AC park" today (and noted the prices down there) tomorrow I might opt for the big screen at Marina Green.

Stinger (who is clean-cut young guy) thinks he might take his binoculars and go up Telegraph Hill for the big-view. But he has a mobile device to get  Virtual Eye etc. 

From my VLC experience (2007) I decided you have to be near a screen. Not for the commentary. But for the telemetry. Will look for a breakfast place and make a decision before Race 1.

There is very little wind in SF at present and  SR wonders if they will even get on their foils for Race 1.

Few comments about SF.  Today I walked miles and very much like the obvious height restraints in housing areas. Looks like the famous SF BOS said 4-storeys max.   Makes for a kind of Parisian (or European) look.

The Cow Hollow, Marina Districts and environs look pretty up-market. Not many street dwellers and many affluent looking citizens gulpng down tacos and starring at their cellphones.

On the drive in from the airport the van driver continuously made phone calls. Have these people ever heard of distracted driving?

If there is a lay-day (or racing is cancelled for no wind) I will be hitting any 2nd hand bookstores around here.   

And yes, if I see John Navas, I will give him special Maori greetings and a secret look at a taniwha.

#11 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:13 AM

Alcatraz is the best place to see the entire course from an elevated position.

Take one of the ferries and binocs.

#12 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

If you go by the compound, remember to offer some soothing words to NZL 5's taniwha. They'll be amped.

Informed sources say the two Waikato taniwha are behaving. But the East Coasters (Ngati Porou and Kahungunu) are a nuisance.  When not on the boat they have to be kept in carry-cage thing (like a cat box).

Grant is saying things like "whose idea was this?" 

I reckon things will settle after Race 1. Everyone is too excited for now.

But I am worried OR might protest the TNZ use of taniwha. Also, ISAF would probably not be impressed with having magic-realist  creatures in the AC. And lord knows what the SPCA thinks? Imagine the look on Graham McKenzie's face if OR protest? 

#13 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:31 AM

Make sure to check out the Tenderloin tonight.  Just tell everyone you meet you have a special Twatwannna, or whatever it is you think you have that is so special.  The locals will make you feel very welcome, even if you are a Flintstoner.

#14 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

One more thing that demonstrates the depths to which we have sunk. 

OR have a poster in laundromats, restaurants and other places urging citizens to support the "USA" team.

They are pleading for support!

The poster asks citizens to bring US flags (red, white & blue) to the AC Park at Pier 27.

Larry must surely find this an undignified process.

However, between now and 1 p.m. tomorrow, I have to find ashop or  lumber yard to get dowelling so I can wave my three NZ flags! (2 orthodox; 1 silver fern  - all from the dollar shop in Devonport)

See, that is the difference.

Kiwis do not need to be asked.

#15 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

OR have a poster in laundromats, restaurants and other places urging citizens to support the "USA" team.

The poster asks citizens to bring US flags (red, white & blue) to the AC Park at Pier 27.

However, between now and 1 p.m. tomorrow, I have to find ashop or  lumber yard to get dowelling so I can wave my three NZ flags! (2 orthodox; 1 silver fern  - all from the dollar shop in Devonport)

TK/H

thanks for the on the scene truthful updates 

I am glad you have the maori spirit powers going 

as the ggyc oracle cheaters curse =GOCC will be their final end to the ggyc cat ass trophe 

have a good time mate and be safe 

as the sw soiler stalker is around and might be staring at you right now 

cheers msp/jtr

#16 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:06 AM

TK/H

thanks for the on the scene truthful updates 

as the ggyc oracle cheaters curse =GOCC will be their final end to the ggyc cat ass trophe 

have a good time mate and be safe 

as the sw soiler stalker is around and might be staring at you right now 

cheers msp/jtr

Wait...didn't you say for months that you were suing the City of San Francisco, Gavin Newsome, Mayor Lee, Sen. Diane Feinstein, Gov. Jerry Brown, the estate of Gov Ronald Reagan, the State of California, the California Coastal Commission, the USCG, the US Navy, the Marines, the Air Force, the Army, the Girl Scouts, the Catholic Church, the Hari Krishna's, everyone in the Haight, the SF 49'ers, the homeless and naked in the Tenderloin on behalf of the Citizens ot the World to stop the 34th America's Cup?

Or were you just full of shit this whole time?

#17 scarecow

scarecow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Getting home.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

By the sounds of things it might pay to cc Graeme Wheeler to sign off on the foreign exchange.

#18 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:20 AM

Kia ora Te Kooti - Thanx for on-the-spot reports. Keep 'em coming mate.  I've spent just enough time around the San Francisco waterfront to understand the delights of your Cup adventure.  I'm guessing the big screen at Marina Green will be the best viewing choice, for Day One at least.  

#19 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

Grant reached out to Maori long ago and it was a brilliant (and, in my view, needed) move to name the boat S.V. AOTEAROA

It is this kind of thing that distinguishes Dalton from Blake.

The next step will be to get Maori crew members.

They went out and recruited Rob Waddell (a non-sailor) and there are some pretty tough Maori All Blacks (e.g. SBW - NZ'ers know who I mean) who would swing on the grinding pedstals and bring a wicked new dimension to high performance yacht racing.  

I would  like to see someone from Tai Tokerau, maybe Tainui  and (because it is my home) Kahungunu.

This bloke Kahungunu piloted waka to Aotearoa about 1500 years ago. He first landed in what is today Northland but then gunkholed down the coast (and also went overland).

As well as being an astute sailor and navigator he was a horny buggar.

As a result of him spreading his seed there are Kahungunu descendants in the Far North, Bay of Plenty (Tauranga area) and up and down the East Coast (Gisborne to Wairarapa). 

It was his descendants who introduced market forces to NZ by grabbing Captain Cook's cabin boy in 1769 (at Cape Kidnappers) and then trading him for useful stuff like blankets and muskets!

If you think a public display of taniwha might puzzle the AC opposition, imagine the reaction when confronted by the mischievous proclivities of Kahungunu's relatives!

KIA KAHA!

#20 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

Or were you just full of shit this whole time?

Peter ... please!   ... it is the eve of the America's Cup.

Can we have a little generosity of spirit?

#21 sumpin

sumpin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts
  • Interests:scallop mining and rudder fairing
    stair falling book cover mending

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

it is lite

it is hot

the walk from the "village to crissy is long, uber

the party at St Fancy is raging

tomorrow will not be hangover worthy

heading for horseshoe

where the F is Norbert

#22 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

Kia ora Te Kooti - Thanx for on-the-spot reports. Keep 'em coming mate.  I've spent just enough time around the San Francisco waterfront to understand the delights of your Cup adventure.  I'm guessing the big screen at Marina Green will be the best viewing choice, for Day One at least.  

Thanks for that. 

I am shocked to see the number of empty godowns along the waterfront.

You remember the woolshed in VLC.  Ernesto had some good ideas about how to use those sheds.

But here they seem to be mostly used for parking.

In my view, the entire SF waterfront is a heritage site. Hence, Larry Ellison would be the last person to fuck with it. 

I might have to send a letter to the SF BOS giving them the "benefit" of my (ah hem, well researched) views on this matter.

I have feeling this place will be a sea of NZ flags in the morning.

#23 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:36 AM

By the sounds of things it might pay to cc Graeme Wheeler to sign off on the foreign exchange.

X rate is pretty good at the moment. Although US $11.00 for a beer does sound expensive - especially if you tip it all over yourself, like TK. He must be excited.

#24 Couch Bike Dude

Couch Bike Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:36 AM

Yes, agree with that.

I just met Comrade Stingray in Cow Hollow. He and I have had issues but, meeting F2F calls for cordiality and courtesy.

He is the first I have seen fully decked-out in Oracle gear!  [although he claims there are others if I look hard enough]

It is VERY hard to know where to watch the races.

My girl friend and I are planning to watch race 1 from the end of the jetty past the GGYC!

We're driving up early from the South Bay, parking's been good at Fort Mason for the preliminary skirmishes in this friendly competition among nations.

Welcome to my backyard, Te Kooti, I'm enjoying your view of the greatest place on earth.

#25 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

My girl friend and I are planning to watch race 1 from the end of the jetty past the GGYC!

We're driving up early from the South Bay, parking's been good at Fort Mason

I walked through Fort Mason and saw the place you mean.

One other thing.

EVERY HOTEL ALONG LOMBARD ST HAS VACANCIES

So, if you are still thinking of coming, the expected crush has not arrived.

#26 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

Viewing recommendations based on experience:

1)  AC pier 27:  Nice close viewing of the finish and not much else.  Video for the rest.   Can't even see the boats for most of the race.

2)  Up on the hill:  In a very nice appt of a mates behind Ghirardelli/Fishermans wharf/pier 39:   Too far back.   You can make out what is going on, but barely.  Lose the sense of how cool the machines are.

3) Boat on the bay:   Worst option.  Can barely see anything.   Unless you have a fearless friend who will drive around and 'elbow in', you will see next to nothing as the bigger boats take the front and block your view.

4) Marina Green:   Best IMO.  You can walk around and see a screen if you want, but can go find a good view point, and make yourself a way to the shore where you can really see.   Even here, you just get them as they pass the 3/4 mark up or down.  Wildcard is not sure how many people will be there

5) Alcatraz:  If you don't already have tickets, you are probably screwed anyway.  But it isn't easy to get the city side view from there... and I would expect that the spectator fleet is going to block the view pretty well.  Can't say as I haven't seen it with the crowd and the fleet, but not hopeful.

6) Best II)  Chrissy field north or SFYC.   You get the start and the turning mark.   I think that this place is likely to be the least packed, and offer the most interesting sailing views.  No big screens or concessions, but that's fine by me.

Anyway,  If this isn't a blowout, I'll be north of SFYC next week.   For Sunday, I'm going to the mate's flat behind Fisherman's wharf for bubbly and barbecue... where I'll have to explain what is going on to all my non-sailing friends.

Cheers

#27 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:49 AM

One other thing.

Seriously? That's a shame.

There may be some local small business owners who'll have something to say to LE about his vision for AC34. In addition to what they've said already, no doubt.

#28 cleveland

cleveland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:art, bikes, sailing

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:55 AM

It is abnormally hot and there is light wind.

There are banners literally everywhere on most streets, i wouldn't say most people know that its happening tomorrow, but id say most people know its happening soon. 

Most of the busses have advertising on them. A significant portion of the waterfront has been given over to it and there is AC shit everywhere.

I was in a mall today downtown i saw probably nine people wearing oracle shwag. There was also at least 4 stores with huge usa17 posters and there was even a little AC viewing thing set up with some outreach girls.

For viewing, I am planning on going to the end of the eastern Fort Mason pier, it sticks out at least as far as the aquatic park ring, but it is closer to the starting line and there is often a gybe or tack near it. there is also never anyone there.

ScreenShot2013-09-05at111212AM_zps04c09c

#29 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

One other thing.

Hookers won't even use those flea bag places.

#30 MrSurly

MrSurly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

There are banners literally everywhere on most streets, i wouldn't say most people know that its happening tomorrow, but id say most people know its happening soon. 

Most of the busses have advertising on them. A significant portion of the waterfront has been given over to it and there is AC shit everywhere.

I was in a mall today downtown i saw probably nine people wearing oracle shwag. There was also at least 4 stores with huge usa17 posters and there was even a little AC viewing thing set up with some outreach girls.

For viewing, I am planning on going to the end of the eastern Fort Mason pier, it sticks out at least as far as the aquatic park ring, but it is closer to the starting line and there is often a gybe or tack near it. there is also never anyone there.

That is exactly the spot I intend to view from. Will be on a bike to keep my options open, but have decided it is about perfectly positioned mid course, good but distant view of starting area. No ACEA paraphernalia within sight. If you see a dude on a rusty green schwinn with a spring fork and a panasonic camera, please say hi.
Welcome to SF all, hope to meet some of you. Enjoy.

#31 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold detecting, meteorite hunting.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

We're headed down early, 2 hr drive from the foothills. Hoping to park at Fort Mason and may just try that end of the pier again. Been out there for Fleet Week as well. Two old folks dragging bag chairs and ice chest. Anchor Steam I think will be good.

#32 cleveland

cleveland

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:art, bikes, sailing

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:24 AM

Surly, i'll look for you, Im throwing a small party on the pier would love to give you a drink for all your great films. I'll have a white BMW OR hat on. 

#33 MrSurly

MrSurly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Anchor is appropriate, yes.

#34 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:35 AM

Rpts from along Chestnut St suggest that, for their first time, ETNZ is about to encounter a lot of pressure!

#35 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

Rpts from along Chestnut St suggest that, for their first time, ETNZ is about to encounter a lot of pressure!

Yeah, well...we've figured out that already, Stinger. AR and LR weren't up to shit that's for sure.

LR couldn't even stay in front when ETNZ gave them a start last week!

Looking forward to the match.

#36 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

OR is expecting close racing. The boats have very similar performance.

#37 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

That is exactly the spot I intend to view from. Will be on a bike to keep my options open, but have decided it is about perfectly positioned mid course, good but distant view of starting area. No ACEA paraphernalia within sight. If you see a dude on a rusty green schwinn with a spring fork and a panasonic camera, please say hi.

Hey, Mr Surly. Can't be there this time, sadly. 

Thanks for your 'keeping it real' video, mate. Have a great time yourself and best of luck to both teams.

#38 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

Viewing recommendations based on experience:

1)  AC pier 27:  Nice close viewing of the finish and not much else.  Video for the rest.   Can't even see the boats for most of the race.

2)  Up on the hill:  In a very nice appt of a mates behind Ghirardelli/Fishermans wharf/pier 39:   Too far back.   You can make out what is going on, but barely.  Lose the sense of how cool the machines are.

3) Boat on the bay:   Worst option.  Can barely see anything.   Unless you have a fearless friend who will drive around and 'elbow in', you will see next to nothing as the bigger boats take the front and block your view.

4) Marina Green:   Best IMO.  You can walk around and see a screen if you want, but can go find a good view point, and make yourself a way to the shore where you can really see.   Even here, you just get them as they pass the 3/4 mark up or down.  Wildcard is not sure how many people will be there

5) Alcatraz:  If you don't already have tickets, you are probably screwed anyway.  But it isn't easy to get the city side view from there... and I would expect that the spectator fleet is going to block the view pretty well.  Can't say as I haven't seen it with the crowd and the fleet, but not hopeful.

6) Best II)  Chrissy field north or StFYC.   You get the start and the turning mark.   I think that this place is likely to be the least packed, and offer the most interesting sailing views.  No big screens or concessions, but that's fine by me.

Anyway,  If this isn't a blowout, I'll be north of StFYC next week.   For Sunday, I'm going to the mate's flat behind Fisherman's wharf for bubbly and barbecue... where I'll have to explain what is going on to all my non-sailing friends.

Cheers

SFYC is in Belvedere.

#39 bwana

bwana

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:56 AM

Try Fredericksen's Hardware on Fillmore, half a block north of Union Street. They should have the dowels you need, and it's walking distance from there to Marina Green.

#40 Couch Bike Dude

Couch Bike Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

Hey, Mr Surly. Can't be there this time, sadly. 

Thanks for your 'keeping it real' video, mate. Have a great time yourself and best of luck to both teams.

They had guards keeping spectators off the Fort Mason piers during the LV cup.

#41 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

Try Fredericksen's Hardware on Fillmore, half a block north of Union Street. They should have the dowels you need, and it's walking distance from there to Marina Green.

Thank you sir!   You are a scholar and a gentleman. 

I even know where Filimore is.

#42 pjh

pjh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:36 AM

They had guards keeping spectators off the Fort Mason piers during the LV cup.

That is disappointing news, as the Ft. Mason piers seemed like a perfect place to watch from. How about the Aquatic Park jetty?

#43 amc

amc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

FYI

I get to San Francisco often and my favourite places near the AC action would be, for breakfast, Pats Café 2330 Taylor, I think it is and Vesuvio bar http://www.vesuvio.com/index2.html for drinkies before dinner.  Up on Polk street near California St is a good area for dinner without paying tourist rip off prices.

Thank you sir!   You are a scholar and a gentleman. 

I even know where Filimore is.

#44 Maricat

Maricat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:AC since the 60's

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:40 AM

You'll most likely find JN adjacent St Francis YC, West side. Definitely buy him a Moa.

#45 Sail_FAU

Sail_FAU

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Been up in Lucas Valley with family the last couple days, headed down to watch the races tomorrow.  Thinking Marina Green or Chrissy.  Stoked to see the boats in action!

#46 Count Drac

Count Drac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Blood, sleeping, flying around at night, and being a silly Count.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

TK, this is a great thread.

If you see Stinger again can you let him know that although I didn't agree with his take on the rudder foils, I did admire his tenacity under a barrage of opposing viewpoints, and I especially admired the fact that I don't think I ever read a post where he lost his cool and resorted to cheap shots and name-calling.

EDIT: have just read more posts and see that Stinger is still in contact with planet SA. The bit above is for you, buddy. :)

#47 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

Did you bring up rudder foils? :) :)

Actually did get the full skinny on that subject tonight (and yes i was basically right all along) but will share later. ;)

Thanks, yes, looking forward to it to but am praying the wind crosses the threshold required for both boats to foil. Been up since 4, time to rest up!

#48 Count Drac

Count Drac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Blood, sleeping, flying around at night, and being a silly Count.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

Rudder foils??? No, never mentioned them (now where did you get that idea?)

#49 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

Warm and windy during the after noon.

Nice restaurant with friends on the water, at Pier 39.

People know about the AC but more interested in other games this weekend

Just come back from Chestnut. Most places are full: Horseshoe, Marina, Campus, California wine merchant (best one, good music), and a couple of others I don't remember the name. All anarchists seem to have gone to bed at this time.

No ticket for Alcatraz

IMO, best place tomorrow is Marina Green.

No need to come with plastic bottle of water, lots or taps on place. Think about the food if you don't want to lose your place.

#50 sfnewfan

sfnewfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

I'm a nonsailor now obsessed with AC thanks in part to the fact that my office is at Fort Mason overlooking the water.  Created this account just to contribute this...

Fort Mason has 3 piers: one is permanently closed; one is temporarily closed for construction; Pier 3 is open. (the easternmost).  

Piers 1 and 2 might have been closed or guarded, but Pier 3 is pretty much always open.  

Buuuut, I went out there for several LVC races, and the boats' courses seemed not to go near there, both up and downwind. (I think it was flood tide). Marina Green or Aquatic Park pier would put you closer to the action.  Sorry if I'm not describing this precisely, but as they passed the Fort Mason pier both upwind and down, they seemed to always be on the north boundary.  Maybe it'll be different during an ebb tide or slack wind.

Oh and by the way, SA is by far the most entertaining part of this whole fiasco.  Not a single person I know in SF cares one whit about AC or knows what's going on.

So, thanks for the passion!

#51 Skalpel

Skalpel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Is that you, Larry?

#52 Kia Ora

Kia Ora

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Currently - racing in the classics.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

Very vibrant town SF. Just watch out for the brown gerbils. The white ones are new in town ...  <_<

Apparently SWS :wub:  the brown ones.

#53 Pandora's Box Rule

Pandora's Box Rule

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:SOG >25.4 knots, 1025 hPa, 15-20 SE, 80 ft of Kevlar.Have you met Pandora?.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

Thanks to all taking the time to offer some local knowledge, we are arriving from NZ on Sunday midday so hope to catch the second race at least.

The tips above have really helped to make a plan that'll fly.

#54 Manfred

Manfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Sailing DN on hard water and all sorts of boats on soft water

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Met two great Anarchist friends today, had a stroll around the Park (yes, expensive) and the Village (kind of closed since no racing). Super mood all around, sunny, warm, Mediterranean spirits, although jet-lag sets in. Nice super yachts to look at, mega friendly staff at the Park and Village. Looking forwards to the get-together in about an hour and the races tomorrow.

Hi Rennie,
Good luck and have fun during your time in SF. I am recovering but not as fast as I d like to. Impossible to visit sailor friends in Hamburg with all the Inet connections on big screen, due to being immobile. Just one question or wish. Is it possible for you to get me a program and to send by post later from GER? Full re-payment guaranteed.

To everyone out there, who are left over from the Fiddler's Green days in SD: enjoy your time and the races.
Smooth sailing!
Manfred

#55 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Have a great day tomorrow people.

My daughters and I will be up at 6am in Sydney to watch. 

Some of you old codgers should take a hat and wear sunscreen.

There's a few more plane loads of kiwis on the way over there now if my facebook feed is to be believed!

Good times - Paradox.  :P

#56 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

There's a few more plane loads of kiwis on the way over there now if my facebook feed is to be believed!

Well, one team is going to take a beating tomorrow IMO. Just hope its not ETNZ

#57 Maricat

Maricat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:AC since the 60's

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

It's the light wind forecast forecast that has has me on edge. I know ET has fully prepared for this but but if first race race stays largely below foiling speeds I haven't got any idea of competiveness against OR in these conditions

#58 kenergy

kenergy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

It's the light wind forecast forecast that has has me on edge. I know ET has fully fully prepared for this but but if first race race stays largely below foiling speeds I haven't got any idea of competiveness against OR in these conditions

^^ +1

#59 MotherKnowsBest

MotherKnowsBest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Sports: Sailing, Rugby, BB: opinions, theories, speculation, wild accusations ... I love thinking it thru and trying to make sense of it all.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm a nonsailor now obsessed with AC thanks in part to the fact that my office is at Fort Mason overlooking the water.  Created this account just to contribute this...

Fort Mason has 3 piers: one is permanently closed; one is temporarily closed for construction; Pier 3 is open. (the easternmost).  

Piers 1 and 2 might have been closed or guarded, but Pier 3 is pretty much always open.  

Buuuut, I went out there for several LVC races, and the boats' courses seemed not to go near there, both up and downwind. (I think it was flood tide). Marina Green or Aquatic Park pier would put you closer to the action.  Sorry if I'm not describing this precisely, but as they passed the Fort Mason pier both upwind and down, they seemed to always be on the north boundary.  Maybe it'll be different during an ebb tide or slack wind.

Oh and by the way, SA is by far the most entertaining part of this whole fiasco.  Not a single person I know in SF cares one whit about AC or knows what's going on.

Great to hear a non-sailor has been bitten by the AC bug, good for you SFN! Just a warning, it's like malaria, you'll never get rid of it, it's addictive! (which is pretty hard-going since it's soooo long between AC drinks).

You'll have to get your person out on the water when you can for a taste! Just expect your first go to be on a boat with a sail that flaps and doesn't break the sound barrier (these things are just awesome though, eh?!)

#60 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,251 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm enjoying this thread, please can those lucky enough to be there keep it coming.

Much as I enjoy some AC-controversy, and in the full knowledge this is unlikely to come to pass, it would be good if we were able to keep the various "-gates" and the nationalistic needling elsewhere and keep this to on-scene reporting.

#61 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold detecting, meteorite hunting.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Remember to remember MSG, she is out there in the currents enjoying the get together as well.

#62 Kirwan

Kirwan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:um... boats?

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

The pier at GGAC is open and had a steady stream of tourists on segways yesterday. I thought the anchorage would fill up, but there are only 4 of us here.

Wind was mid-high teens on the course most of yesterday afternoon.

#63 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

One other thing.

Seriously? That's a shame.

There may be some local small business owners who'll have something to say to LE about his vision for AC34. In addition to what they've said already, no doubt.

The owner of our hotel was happy. Good business at the moment, lots more bookings than usually.

#64 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Did you bring up rudder foils? :) :)

Actually did get the full skinny on that subject tonight (and yes i was basically right all along) but will share later. ;)

Thanks, yes, looking forward to it to but am praying the wind crosses the threshold required for both boats to foil. Been up since 4, time to rest up!

hooray. Love it that those in the know are talking now. No sense hiding anything now

#65 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

My hotel on Lombard in Cow's Hollow is booked out too, a lot of it taken up by Kiwis.

Another gorgeous morning in SF, am praying for wind this afternoon. Will pick up a couple local newspapers to scan for AC news coverage over breakfast.

Hopefully the sailors won't be too hot in their gear, I know I need to find shorts and sandals.

#66 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

^^ Good Morning sleepy heads! Got the DVR set so I can review later. Keep us posted and can we get some on-scene pics?

#67 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi Rennie,
Good luck and have fun during your time in SF. I am recovering but not as fast as I d like to. Impossible to visit sailor friends in Hamburg with all the Inet connections on big screen, due to being immobile. Just one question or wish. Is it possible for you to get me a program and to send by post later from GER? Full re-payment guaranteed.

To everyone out there, who are left over from the Fiddler's Green days in SD: enjoy your time and the races.
Smooth sailing!
Manfred

Sure, will see that I get a program for you. So sorry that you can't join, and I hope that things turn out well. At least you don't have to decide from where to watch, organize transport etc. Hope you enjoy the races on YouTube.

We'll do the "classic" watching today. Dock-out at the "Park", then video screen, "breathing" the atmo, enjoy the day, and wait for the finish.

The other options will be tried in the next days.

#68 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

My son, two brothers and their mates will be on the bay watching the proceedings from my brothers boat. I'm expecting live commentary via text msg. I suspect I'll have a better view watching on tv, but would trade for a spot on the boat if I could.

#69 woody

woody

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Thinking of the end of the aquatic pier and then pier 27 for the 2 nd race

#70 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

Light today, yes. I sailed yesterday in similar conditions and the wind picked up nicely on the racecourse area around 1p. I reckon we'll see 15 knots or so for race 1.

I think Marina Green, the spit out past the ggyc and aquatic park are good watching options in that order. Marina Green is extra good because of the TVs and speakers, but your smart phone AC app or VHF 20 are also good options.

For less expensive eating whoever said Polk at California was spot on. But Chestnut street I think will be hopping this weekend and a great chance to run into friends. Don't forget The Ramp if you happen to go to Pier 80.

I hope y'all all have a great time here. I'll be watching from a rooftop today and the ggyc tomorrow. I hope to run into some of you then...

Best of luck to both teams today!

#71 Desprit

Desprit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

Aiming to be on the deck at st Francis but if that does not work out will be at Marina Green.

#72 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

My hotel on Lombard in Cow's Hollow is booked out too, a lot of it taken up by Kiwis.

Another gorgeous morning in SF, am praying for wind this afternoon. Will pick up a couple local newspapers to scan for AC news coverage over breakfast.

Hopefully the sailors won't be too hot in their gear, I know I need to find shorts and sandals.

local papers: like NZ Herald - dismal journalism. Unlike NZ Herald - no sailing coverage.

#73 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

With breakfast accomplished, it is now time for the stick search.

"Stick" as in pole to attach to flag!

It is a beautiful day in SF. Because I frequently awake in Chinese cities and look out at air pollution, it is good to see the clarity of the sky here (the SF BOS must have done something right).

But, out on the street the visitor notices the absence of trees (with branches that could hold a flag!). It is mostly 4-storey buildings squeezed in together. Apparently not many rules about setbacks or space between buildings. However, just like Wellington, SF gains a lot by being built on hills. Cyclists in this city must have working mitral valves!

During riots and revolutions, flagholes can be very important. For example, during anti-Vietnam war rallies in Wellington, flag "poles" could be used to accidently bong overly enthusiastic police officers.

This morning I had breakfast while seated next to one of those Oracle posters.  After encouraging people to support "Team USA" it urges them to come to Pier 27. "Red, white and blue encouraged," it says (while displaying pictures of two US flags).  

Can you imagine NZ'ers being told to come to Eden Park to support the All Blacks?

Oh well!

As for today's racing, I have no fresh intelligence from the base. But, like some of you, I have concerns about what will happen if conditions are ultra-light.

After all the kerfuffle about foils and appendages, it will be a bit hilarious if they sail around the course with hulls firmly in the water!

Dixie thinks that, like yesterday, wind will fill-in. Maybe so, but at what time?

Anyway, you can be sure Roger Badham has it sorted and the brains trust at TNZ must have a Plan B for light airs.

I do not know how many AC regattas I have attended (it is more than a few) and there is always this immense curiosity and sense of expectation around Race 1.

#74 Couch Bike Dude

Couch Bike Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the clarification, I'm a lifelong AC and sailing fan from Los Gatos (I was 15 when I entered my first Bullship race).  Same for me about real life fans of this tradition.  Hip, hip, horaay for Sailing Anarchy's forums!

#75 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,251 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Question for the locals - is there a web-accessible reading of real-time wind data from near the race area? If so, I'd be grateful for a link. I can find forecasts but not so far any real-time instrumentation.

#76 Couch Bike Dude

Couch Bike Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

I like this one:

http://www.sailflow....3,-122.434,13,1

#77 Couch Bike Dude

Couch Bike Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

For more than just the wind, this is The Bay:

http://www.sailflow.com/spot/113861

http://norcalcurrent...OCMP/sfbay.html

#78 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Renny, Stinger and others, if you can get some shots of mega yachts, ETNZ's base and the village I would be interested to see stuff.  Other than that, enjoy and be safe.

WetHog  :ph34r:

#79 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

Best viewing is at the end of the jetty past GGYC - last chance beach as it's known, or along the seawall between StFYC and GGYC. But nothing can beat a location that has a big screen i.e. AC village@ Marina Green.

Transportation tip.  Don't use taxis.  1) drivers don't know where they are going 2) will rip you off 3) will be at least 30 minutes late when you call them 4) if they even show up.

Use the far more civil ride share services:

https://www.uber.com/

http://www.lyft.me/

http://www.side.cr/

Seabreeze (although still light) will probably start to fill in @3PM.  Best racing action in town will happen after Race2 of the AC today.

The eyedeens are in town, and if you are at Marina Green you will get a great view of the skiffs.

#80 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Real time info from NOAA PORTS data

http://www.met.sjsu....ind/windbin.cgi

Question for the locals - is there a web-accessible reading of real-time wind data from near the race area? If so, I'd be grateful for a link. I can find forecasts but not so far any real-time instrumentation.

#81 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,251 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

For more than just the wind, this is The Bay:

http://www.sailflow.com/spot/113861

http://norcalcurrent...OCMP/sfbay.html

Thanks! Also to KK.

#82 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,153 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

..in terms of viewpoints,,....me's not sure where the Wmark is,,,but wouldn't the golden gate bridge give a great elevated,,though somewhat distant view??.....certainly one point I'd want to have a peek from,,no?? :mellow:

#83 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

local papers: like NZ Herald - dismal journalism. Unlike NZ Herald - no sailing coverage.
The SF Chron had a special AC section insert on the Front Page, two decent articles in Sports, and a piece about Blackhaller in Oped.

edit, http://twitter.com/S...1459715/photo/1

#84 Kahlessa

Kahlessa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Interests:Books, history, science, adventure, discovering life's hidden secrets

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

Wishing everyone a great time! I'll be working 2000 miles away at a bookstore.

#85 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

..in terms of viewpoints,,....me's not sure where the Wmark is,,,but wouldn't the golden gate bridge give a great elevated,,though somewhat distant view??.....certainly one point I'd want to have a peek from,,no?? :mellow:

The GG Bridge is probably one of the absolute best places to watch.  And today/tomorrow you can do the bridge walk without having to invest $25.00 for a cheap sweatshirt at the visitor's center.  Top of Alcatraz also a great spot.

Weather mark is across from the western end of Crissy Field.

#86 kenironside

kenironside

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Grant reached out to Maori long ago and it was a brilliant (and, in my view, needed) move to name the boat S.V. AOTEAROA

It is this kind of thing that distinguishes Dalton from Blake.

The next step will be to get Maori crew members.

They went out and recruited Rob Waddell (a non-sailor) and there are some pretty tough Maori All Blacks (e.g. SBW - NZ'ers know who I mean) who would swing on the grinding pedstals and bring a wicked new dimension to high performance yacht racing.  

I would  like to see someone from Tai Tokerau, maybe Tainui  and (because it is my home) Kahungunu.

This bloke Kahungunu piloted waka to Aotearoa about 1500 years ago. He first landed in what is today Northland but then gunkholed down the coast (and also went overland).

As well as being an astute sailor and navigator he was a horny buggar.

As a result of him spreading his seed there are Kahungunu descendants in the Far North, Bay of Plenty (Tauranga area) and up and down the East Coast (Gisborne to Wairarapa). 

It was his descendants who introduced market forces to NZ by grabbing Captain Cook's cabin boy in 1769 (at Cape Kidnappers) and then trading him for useful stuff like blankets and muskets!

If you think a public display of taniwha might puzzle the AC opposition, imagine the reaction when confronted by the mischievous proclivities of Kahungunu's relatives!

KIA KAHA!

Will the Kiwi's do a Haka? 

#87 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,153 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

The GG Bridge is probably one of the absolute best places to watch.  And today/tomorrow you can do the bridge walk without having to invest $25.00 for a cheap sweatshirt at the visitor's center.  Top of Alcatraz also a great spot.

......to obvious to mention???? :blink:  .................or is it meant t'be a secret? :rolleyes:

...the Wmark must be a 45degree angle downwards from the bridge--with a bit of breeze,yer could spit at the boats!!

#88 ncs

ncs

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Agreed. I walked the bridge span yesterday, can't beat the view on fog-free days like today. You'll see the entire race course. Binocs will be handy for close-ups of mark roundings.

#89 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,315 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yes and it's only a Hop, Skip & a Jump away from the action  :o  :lol:  :lol:  :blink:

#90 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Agreed. I walked the bridge span yesterday, can't beat the view on fog-free days like today. You'll see the entire race course. Binocs will be handy for close-ups of mark roundings.

Good luck there NCS!!!  Wind is starting to back so maybe we'll get at least one race off today.

Drinkies?

#91 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,153 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yes and it's only a Hop, Skip & a Jump away from the action     :lol:  :blink:

.....methinks there'd be some -cheers- if yer show us the way :rolleyes:

#92 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

SA FP said boats are a bad place to watch....I disagree. We've been at the gates and watched some great roundings and the blast to the finish. Pretty close too :-)

Attached File  image.jpg   127.82K   35 downloads

Here's our view on the race to the finish.

Attached File  image.jpg   94.96K   35 downloads

#93 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,153 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

.....................Here's our view on the race to the finish.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

......don't yer need 2 boats for it t'be a race? :mellow:

#94 surfsailor

surfsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Surf. Foiling. Vintage guitars.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

On our way to SFYC - anybody got a polo shirt I can borrow?!

:)

#95 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,153 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

....don't make the 'mistake' I made a few years back and walk into the bar with 2 black girls!! :ph34r: 

#96 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

On our way to SFYC - anybody got a polo shirt I can borrow?! :)

....don't make the 'mistake' I made a few years back and walk into the bar with 2 black girls!! :ph34r: 

They were jealous, that's all.

#97 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

You forgot to shout Yo I'm Rick James bitch when you walked in that would have gotten you respect.

#98 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

On our way to SFYC - anybody got a polo shirt I can borrow?! :)

They were jealous, that's all.

Yah, only way to make em more jealous is with three black girls. You lucky bastard!

#99 surfsailor

surfsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Interests:Surf. Foiling. Vintage guitars.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

You forgot to shout Yo I'm Rick James bitch when you walked in that would have gotten you respect.

Rick James don't rock polo shirts, yo.

#100 krispy kreme

krispy kreme

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

referring to the frantic as SFYC is akin to referring to San Francisco as 'Frisco'.

SFYC = San Francisco Yacht Club across the bay

StFYC = the frantic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users