64 replies to this topic

#1 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

Hiya!

I currently have a Tanzer 22 moored at the other end of town.  I hate driving 30 + traffic to realize my motor doesn't work (happens frequently).  We will realistically never sleep overnight on the boat.  Today, we just drove 5 minutes down the road for a walk by the river and it hit me: "why don't I get something trailerable that I can put in here! Duh!"

So I'm wondering if you guys would have some ideas.  Here are my priorities:

- Trailerable (can setup in under 30 minutes)

- Can perform well in light air (it's a narrow river and there's tunnel effect).

- Stable

- Can take 2-4 people

- I don't care much about racing.  I don't have time and I prefer taking out inexperienced friends.

I was looking at the Ultimate 20 as it has the space we need but I'm not sure if it can be setup quickly.

I appreciate any straight-shootin' thoughts y'all have.

Jevin

#2 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

The U20 is reasonably fast to set up but there are others that are a little easier:  Viper 640 (also a better performer) - plenty of cockpit space and is easily manageable with not so experienced crew as long as it is not blowing too much (15-20+), VxOne - little smaller and would probably be a little tight for 4 but fine for 2 or3.

#3 3Hulls

3Hulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

What's your $$$ budget?  You can get a nice Hunter 18' or 22' for much less than some others.  Granted they are not FAST FAST but they are sure great little family oriented boats.

JOhn ><>

#4 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

Those Vipers are sexy.  So is the Hunter 18.

I just checked out the "launch" and it's really not deep.  Maybe 3-4 feet at 10 feet out?  I know my Tanzer wouldn't be happy with that.

For budget, probably $15k would be the max I could justify.  Like I said before, I'm not a serious racer these days.

#5 3Hulls

3Hulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

Hi all, thanks for the feedback.

Those Vipers are sexy.  So is the Hunter 18.

I just checked out the "launch" and it's really not deep.  Maybe 3-4 feet at 10 feet out?  I know my Tanzer wouldn't be happy with that.

For budget, probably $15k would be the max I could justify.  Like I said before, I'm not a serious racer these days.

Easily done with the Hunter 18, you can even include trailer and spinnaker kit for under $15k

Yea, I'm a Hunter dealer too. :rolleyes:  But you'll probably find a Hunter dealer in Canada too.

#6 lonbordin

lonbordin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Sailing, Snowboarding. In real life I'm David Wilcox a CISSP (IT Security) working for a mid-sized company.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

Hunter 18?... he asked for fast.   :D

If the Hunter suffices how about a Flying Scot?

#7 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

did the OP post for a sport boat

why mention the shitboxes ????????

hey buddy if your not overnighting the answer is a Viper

there is no ohter choice unless you buy a virtual orphan with no class resale, ie you wanna throw you money away

I think this is so obvious that the thread is redundant 

#8 3Hulls

3Hulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

He also asked for under $15k

#9 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

This is the straight shooting I'm asking for.  I did post to sport boat as I really don't enjoy baking in the sun in light winds.  Hopefully a sport boat will keep us moving.

Is the stability of the Viper 640 an issue for new sailors (my friends)?

#10 3Hulls

3Hulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

This is the straight shooting I'm asking for.  I did post to sport boat as I really don't enjoy baking in the sun in light winds.  Hopefully a sport boat will keep us moving.

Depends on whether you want to sit INSIDE the boat or OUTSIDE the boat.  What's a Viper cost?

#11 3Hulls

3Hulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

402147_10150997053388021_1157570014_n.jp

h18coolshotrunninglr.jpg

#12 Christian

Christian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:13 AM

Maybe it would be a good idea to peddle your Hunter somewhere else than the sportboat forum.  And the OP also told us he doesn't want to just be drifting around in light air - exactly what he would be doing on a Hunter.

#13 3Hulls

3Hulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:18 AM

Maybe it would be a good idea to peddle your Hunter somewhere else than the sportboat forum.  And the OP also told us he doesn't want to just be drifting around in light air - exactly what he would be doing on a Hunter.

He's in Canada, I'm in Florida, I have a cats chance in heck of selling him a boat.  If you can provide a brand new Viper or any limited production boat for under $15k then where is it?

#14 Varan

Varan

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

402147_10150997053388021_1157570014_n.jp
h18coolshotrunninglr.jpg

That Hunter is one fugly boat. Seriously, U20 is every bit as easy to launch as a Viper, but neither are for you. If you have no interest in racing, find a comfy boat. If racing is your passion, find a sportboat even if you don't race it. It will only make you better on whatever you do race. Whoa.. sorry to be so judgmental. Way too much alcohol I guess. Hey but no one has given you the proper newbie welcome. Gosh, has SA gone down the dumper.

#15 Icebear

Icebear

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

We take lots of non- and newbie sailors out on our Viper. Everyone is comfortable and they enjoy the speed. Saturday my wife and I took a couple sailing who are in their 50s/60s-- she has slow onset MS (swims for exercise) and he's a non sailor. 10-13 TWS... They both got into watching the puck as we broke 8 knots. Very fun. Only mishap was some spilled goldfish (the eating kind.) I wouldn't take them out on a nuking day of course, but if needed, the Vipe sails well (and fast) under main alone.

#16 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

definitely go with a Viper unless you need a head.  I also recall that you can find Hotfoot 20s in Canada from time to time.which would certainly fit your budget.

#17 Mischief_Maker

Mischief_Maker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Biking, hiking and sailing.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Check http://www.u20class....lassifieds.html There are several within driving distance. Ultimate 20's are fun racing or cruising. Good luck whatever you buy. 

#18 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

This has been really helpful folks.  Looks like I can find something under $20k used like the U20 or Viper.  U20 is quite a bit heavier than the Viper but if they can both be setup in 20-30 minutes I would be very happy.

I'll try to ask around to see if I can find some locally to try out (let me know if you know how to find any in Ottawa).  If not, might get a Laser 2 to buzz around until I find exactly what I need.

Thanks again, excited about the future!

#19 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

U20 is a good choice, as is a Viper.

You said 3-4 foot draft though which is a deal killer on both.

Laser II is fun but not so much for noobs.

Shallow draft sportboat is an oxymoron.

#20 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

3-4 feet for launching would be a deal killer.  The Viper is 6" and the U20 is 9" with the board up I think right?  

#21 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

Check out the Viper 640. Fast, easy to trailer and launch. I'm biased.

#22 PurpleOnion

PurpleOnion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:14 AM

I'll try to ask around to see if I can find some locally to try out (let me know if you know how to find any in Ottawa).  If not, might get a Laser 2 to buzz around until I find exactly what I need.

http://www.u20class....OOwnersMap.html

#23 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:25 AM

http://www.u20class....OOwnersMap.html

Doesn't exactly give much contact info. 

#24 busybeeolympia

busybeeolympia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

http://www.u20class....lassifieds.html

#25 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

3-4 feet for launching would be a deal killer.  The Viper is 6" and the U20 is 9" with the board up I think right?  

My bad....both Viper and U20 are fine with keels up. Both have the ability (as required by class rules) to hoist their keels at all times (never sail with them up though). This is not the case with most other sportboats.

A boat not mentioned but worth considering is the Weta. It can't really hold 4, but can hold two adults and some kids. You can single hand, draws next to nothing but has no cabin.

#26 SailRacer

SailRacer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

If not a U20,

Impulse 21? they seem kinda interesting, (ps, I want one).

or what about a Vanguard Nomad? I have never seen / sailed one, but fits some of the needs.

sail safe!

#27 fred1diver

fred1diver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:sailing, diving, camping, anything that helps me relax

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

check on kijiji, I got mine from Kingston for 3500$

23ft olympic dolphin, 2.5ft draft easy to put in and take out

#28 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Just spoke with a local Viper 640 guy.  Will try it out.  He was very skeptical it could be setup and launched from a trailer in under an hour with all the covers, assembling and rigging.  True?

#29 hendrixharlow

hendrixharlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

I've only owned a Viper for a year or so, but I can tell you it is possible to get the boat in the water in under an hour.  That said, you need to be focused and work hard to do it.  It helps to have someone else who knows how to rig it w/ you--At a regatta this past May, I had another owner sailing w/ me, we had the boat in the water in about 45 minutes (including assembling the mast and spreaders, you could tow the boat w/ the spreaders and mast assembled).

#30 Mischief_Maker

Mischief_Maker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Biking, hiking and sailing.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Jevin, check out the cabin on the U20! http://forums.sailin...howtopic=148995 Lots of room for whatever    :D   just saying  

Attached Files

#31 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

Jevy,

I am a Viper owner and I love my boat.

But as a fellow sailor we owe you thoughtful responses to your criteria.

1.  Trailerable (can setup in under 30 minutes). The Viper is very trailerable.  It is 21' long and very roomy for 3/4 people but only weighs 750 lbs with mast and rigging. So it tows like a dream.......BUT.......if you are going to keep it at home and put the rig up every time you want to go sailing, then it is going to take you more than 30 minutes from the time you arrive at the ramp to the time you sail away. I speak from experience because I keep my Viper in my drive way and I drive to wherever I sail, so I have become very proficient at rigging and launching my boat. 

The Viper is probably the easiest and fastest of the 20 ' sportboats to rig and launch because (a) It has a light carbon mast - one person can lift, 2 can do it quickly. b. The rigging is very simple - just uppers and lower shrouds to click into the hoop shaped chain plates - no jumper stays, no check stays, no back stay etc etc  c. No roller furling jib to mess with (d) Slot in the foredeck, so the mast just gets tilted into position quickly. (e) The keel doesn't require a hoist, just uses a line from the spreaders.

I doubt there is  a faster sport boat to rig. But, not 30 minutes.  My crew and I are a smooth machine when we pull into a regatta parking lot. We each know our role. If we go flat out (as we had to recently when we arrived late ) from the time we get out of car, until the time the boat is tied up at the dock with the jib hanked on forestay took us 45 minutes...and we are faster than you will be.....and we were really rushing.  Do I think we can break 30 minutes if someone laid down a challenge with a cold keg involved ? Probably but on an everyday basis it is going to take you and your 2-3 casual friends an hour or more to rig any sport boat and launch.

For you requirements of a ramp launched boat that you and your friends could take a quick spin on an impulse on a Saturday afternoon, I wonder if you should be thinking about a simply rigged modern dinghy.....like a Laser 2000.....rather than a keel boat. There are some relatively stable dinghies out there...they might not have the self righting characteristics of a sport boat but they are very manageable.

Sure, on a windy day, your Laser 2000 or other similar dinghy might risk capsizing when a Viper would self right, but both boats are going to be a handful on a windy day and both boats are going to be easy on a quiet day.  Viper can fit a lot more people but its going to take longer to rig any way you cut it.

Viper only draws a few inches with keel up for launching, and getting out to end of dock, but once you are sailing it draws 4' 6"

$15,000 gets you a good quality dinghy in the used market. $15,000 doesn't get you much in the way of a modern sport boat. 

On all your other criteria, the Vipers scores a perfect 10. I'd love you to become a fellow Viper owner but I wouldn't want you to join us and then be disappointed  that it doesn't really fit your criteria.  Take up that offer to sail a Viper but also check out a couple of dinghies.

Best

VMK. 

#32 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

Take a look at RS Venture.

Compare to Viper

#33 tootall519

tootall519

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

b25, fast fun and 25'. retractable keel, 2000 lbs. it has room below. In the water in 30 min. 2 people to step the mast.

#34 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

As much as I hate to do this, I agree with mamba.

Getting a viper from covered to in the water in less than an hour is pretty hard core unless you have three guys who a) are not checking out chicks B) not drinking c) are not making fun of ne fund managers called mamba'

However, if you don't mess with the kite and leave most of the boat together.. You might manage.

Hemdrix is a bad ass - don't listen to him. He possesses super human viper riggin' abilities and is never distracted by all the whining around mambo's boat.

#35 herbie verstinx

herbie verstinx

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:09 AM

I think a holder 20 would fit the bill. Not quite super sportboat fast but fast enough for your purposes.

#36 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

So I looked for all these boats and I can't find any locally to buy (The viper sounds awesome).  For the budget and convenience of pickup, there are bunch of Laser 2 and 505s around.  Are those simpler to put up, that might fit the bill for a measly $2k. Asking specifically about the speed to launch it here: http://forums.sailin...howtopic=150410

#37 Gregg

Gregg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

I just posted a boat on the U20 Classifieds that is in Montreal... Used to sail out of Ottawa.

#38 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,669 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hiya!

I currently have a Tanzer 22 moored at the other end of town.  I hate driving 30 + traffic to realize my motor doesn't work (happens frequently).  We will realistically never sleep overnight on the boat.  Today, we just drove 5 minutes down the road for a walk by the river and it hit me: "why don't I get something trailerable that I can put in here! Duh!"

So I'm wondering if you guys would have some ideas.  Here are my priorities:

- Trailerable (can setup in under 30 minutes)

- Can perform well in light air (it's a narrow river and there's tunnel effect).

- Stable

- Can take 2-4 people

- I don't care much about racing.  I don't have time and I prefer taking out inexperienced friends.

I was looking at the Ultimate 20 as it has the space we need but I'm not sure if it can be setup quickly.

I appreciate any straight-shootin' thoughts y'all have.

Jevin

With practice and two people 30 minute set up is possible but your not twiddling your thumbs to do it in 30 minutes. Raced and trailered and sailed the U20 since the late 90's. Love the boat also one of the nicest trailer towing I've had tows really nice. For quickie local use I would probably be more apt to get a Suncat with the tip up rig flip the rig up splash it and go even leave the rags on the boom set up would be about 5 minutes. Not a fast boat but your still on the water fast and will likely do more quickie sails on that vs 30 minutes to set up to go sailing for an hour sort of thing. Another boat I think is really cool and has big potential for this sort of thing is the Norseboat 17 which actually has more seating room for the Cocktail cruise than the U20 does three adults on the U20 fit but the occasional elbow gets ducked 4 adults you can do just fine if the driver sits in the back which is slow for performance sailing etc. I really like the U20 I still think it is one of the best 20footer sporty boats out there that has the ability to give you shelter when needed ie the small cabin. Wife and I have spent nights on the U20 sorta like camping out in a SUV regarding space. But we have visited some really cool places and watched some great sunsets and sun rise while at anchor.

#39 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

U20 on a proper U20 trailer needs about 3ft at the axle to be floated off. Bulb hangs down about 8inches from the bottom with the keel up. The rookie mistake is trying to motor the boat forward with the keel and rudder off. The experienced U20 owners all know you tow the boat behind the OB to deep water then drop the keel and put the rudder on.

#40 Elite324

Elite324

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

So I looked for all these boats and I can't find any locally to buy (The viper sounds awesome).  For the budget and convenience of pickup, there are bunch of Laser 2 and 505s around.  Are those simpler to put up, that might fit the bill for a measly $2k. Asking specifically about the speed to launch it here: http://forums.sailin...howtopic=150410

Hi Jevin,

There are a bunch of former U20 sailors at NSC, I have crewed on one for a few regattas and they are easy to set up off the trailer.  PM me and I can give you some names to talk to, most are still in contact with the U20 community.  There is a SR Max for sale in the NSC classifieds for less than $10K, I have no idea how easy to rig, but it seems to fit the bill and it is cheap.

Matthew

#41 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Couple of ideas

http://messing-about...at-17-for-sale/

Norse boat just has a cool factor that is different and easy to store and splash.

http://www.sailboatl....com/view/28518

Looks nice comfy cockpit for cocktail cruises and fast to splash!

These are not performance boats! Chances are if you go U20 or Viper you will be wanting to sail them at other locations and with other boats at regattas and events etc which is great fun but much different than just running over to the local ramp to putz around a bit in the afternoon.

#42 RockHead

RockHead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ultra is going soft, agreeing with Mambo again. I thought I felt the earth move...

Lots of interesting suggestions here. Of course, I'd like everyone sailing Vipers, but Mambo's RS Venture suggestion is a pretty good fit. It's a fairly light dinghy with reasonable performance, simple rig, good space and lots of form stability. Sort of like a modernized Flying Scot, with an a-sail. A nice recreational sailing dinghy.

#43 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Wow.  Just looked up the RS Venture.  AMAZINGGGGGGGGG. WANTTT

#44 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Ultra might agree with me but, for the record, I disagree with him.

Ultra has been wrong on all counts. The only two things he has ever got right are: 1) The distance between the chain plate and the bow  2) Carrie.

Ultra is going soft, agreeing with Mambo again. I thought I felt the earth move...

#45 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,510 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

there you go. 

HPDO for you?

#46 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Here you go. It's even local for you, and the guy selling it is an Anarchist to boot. http://sailinganarch...how-ad/?id=372/

#47 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thar RS Venture looks like a solid choice for the posted requirement.

#48 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts
  • Interests:sailing. Duh.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I would throw in a second on the Nomad idea.  No sport boat but not a dog either.  Fits all the criteria mentioned.  Set up way faster than a Viper.  Love Vipers by the way, not hatin just stating facts.  

#49 Foilman

Foilman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Jevin - have a look at my SRMax  (SR 21).    Its just down the road from you at Nepean Sailing Club.  It seems to have the features you are looking for. 

SA Classified Ad: http://sailinganarch...how-ad/?id=372/

Modified with a carbon mast and asym kite, its a whole lot of fun to sail.   Speed wise comparable to a U20, but asking much less $$$.    Call me a "motivated seller"  - I just have too many boats.

Lifting keel, it floats in about 12" of water.  Easy to trailer launch.

Phil

#50 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Iw ant that SRMAx but it's not in the cards right now!

#51 GnD

GnD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:sailing, Skiing, biking, boating,

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

There is a Dr. in Idaho that regularly sails his melges with his kids at the local races.  He does very well.  The kids are great. he picked up a good boat 20-25k range.  sails are pretty good.  he replaces them as needed.

he does most of the road series. Plus a lot of local races in Idaho and Montana.   The melges is a great family boat.  My old boat had a center eyelet to attach you kids too.  You just put them mid cockpit and they hiked from oneside to another.  Having a great time.   The loads are light and when it pipes up you just don't pop the shoot.  You would be amazed on how the boats to sailing deep with no shoot up.   he passed a few boats doing this until the kids go bigger. 

there are some good Melges 24 in your price point, with tons of sails and back ups parts.

#52 3Hulls

3Hulls

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

This weekend in our local club PHRF races we had a guy in a Audi Melges 20 got to the start line 5 minutes late and beat ALL boats in ALL fleets by nearly 5 minutes.

Nice Boat.

#53 kmcfast

kmcfast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

Venture 21 the "Original Sport Boat"

http://groups.yahoo....ure21class/info

http://sailboatdata....sp?class_id=137

#54 Kmag

Kmag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Surfing, Snowboarding

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

I have raced all of the boats listed here..

The Ultimate 20 is a great boat for families.  It is an easy boat to sail and comfortable.

#55 EYESAILOR

EYESAILOR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Myth busting.
    Bordeaux.
    Block Island Race Week

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Neither the Ultimate 20 nor the Melges 24 can be set up in under 30 minutes.

He's looking for a boat that he can keep in his drive way and take out for a quick afternoon sail with "inexperienced friends" on a river, and he wants to launch in 30 minutes from a ramp 5 minutes down the road. You come up with the Melges 24???????  Good Grief.  The M24 is a great race boat, but this falls into the same category as recommending a Flying Scot as a good gig for someone looking for a high performance sport boat.  

#56 PurpleOnion

PurpleOnion

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

He's looking for a boat that he can keep in his drive way and take out for a quick afternoon sail with "inexperienced friends" on a river, and he wants to launch in 30 minutes from a ramp 5 minutes down the road. You come up with the Melges 24???????  Good Grief.  The M24 is a great race boat, but this falls into the same category as recommending a Flying Scot as a good gig for someone looking for a high performance sport boat.  

We all appreciate your admonishment. The one thing lacking in your rant was anything productive or helpful. Perhaps you could offer up a recommendation of your own?

#57 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

Having owned and sailed a U20 for a long time I've already shared my feedback on this as one who has done it countless times. 30 minutes is possible with the U20 but only by those who know exactly how the boat gets rigged and two people are doing it. Talking Nationals level owners who know every little aspect of the boat and have a set process for the quickest and easiest set up process. No chit chatting up the girls walking by at the ramp - talking two guys who have both done the set up many times simply going about their business setting up and splashing the boat. For a newbie or solo person chatting up the girls walking by an hour is more like it.

Which is why I also suggested a couple of non performance boats which are faster to set up - offer a good cocktail cockpit for taking friends out and also look nautical and cool.

#58 zerothehero

zerothehero

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

so again, a used Nomad.   :P

#59 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

WOW!!!      :rolleyes:

This weekend in our local club PHRF races we had a guy in a Audi Melges 20 got to the start line 5 minutes late and beat ALL boats in ALL fleets by nearly 5 minutes.

Nice Boat.

#60 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,669 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

WOW!!!      :rolleyes:

Nice Boat.

The second fastest boat was a Cal 20 LOL -- The lake where my U20 went had an old salt pick up a M20 thinking he would mop the lake up with it. He sold it after one season - too hard on his old body, and too big of a learning curve to get it moving fast the locals who knew their boats well were killing him. Any boat can be sailed well with enough knowledge about the boat and what makes it fast. That doesn't make a boat a good choice for everyone if the learning curve is beyond the ability of the sailor.

#61 jevyjevjevs

jevyjevjevs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Crossposted but wanted to let everyone know.

Good news: Bought a Laser 2.  Set it up in 25 minutes (first try).

Bad news:  Haven't taken it out on the water yet. 

#62 thumper

thumper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Classboats, Sport Boats, Innovation, Cruising

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'm really, really surprised no one has mentioned a Lightning.  Not so much a sportboat but it's a great boat as just a daysailor, it can sail with the board partially up and is really comfy for three, ok with 4.  Best part is there are a Gazillion of the out there and for your budget you could probably get 2, maybe even 3 decent ones.  Once you get tired of your tiny little Laser 2, check out a Lightning!

#63 Shaggy

Shaggy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,318 posts
  • Interests:This is SA, you figure it out.......

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

oday daysailor? :)

#64 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

All good suggestions, Lightning, etc..  The Raider 2 Turbo is also a good fit - 7' beam (wider than a laser 2 by 2.5 feet), 16' long, can carry 2-3 and singlehand no problem all with great performance.  Next level up price wise is a VX One which looks like it can do everything, can take 4, and has been qualified by some as a bigger laser on steroids.

#65 Nemo68

Nemo68

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing races and cruises

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

If the question for Europe, (for example), out of competition would boats micro class - such as the Polish Flyer classic or a Flyer cruiser, or Russian Silver-550, Ricochet-5502М

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users