• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bleys

Bleys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

Alright, I'm very new here, so howdy all. I am trying to decide on a small boat I can sail single handed, and I need some advice on which boats I should look at.

I want a boat I can take out to Lake Conroe or Clear Lake on a regular basis and mostly just have fun

Now, on to the part that matters. I have some previous experience, my parents had a Catalina 25 when I was younger and that got the 'big boat' out of my blood. In college I have sailed 420s off and on again. I enjoy the 420 in general but with my 250 lbs she can feel a bit sluggish with another person crewing.

The question: should I buy a 420 and figure out a solo rig or is there another boat better suited to my size that you folks would suggest?

I do plan on trying out as many different boats as I can before any $$ leaves my pocket. I just want to know what I should be looking for.

#2 sailwriter

sailwriter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:38 AM

Perhaps get ahold of the guys and gals on the Texas Centerboard Circuit.

(See the thread on this forum.)

There is a variety of boats among them.

Nearly all of them are faster and more fun than a 420,

A Raider would easily take your weight and would even take a crew, if you wanted.

Happy hunting.

OPB = Other People's Boats for a while.

Dave Ellis

#3 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

If the 420 seems sluggish to you (and i should at that weight)  you might consider a bunch of other options. 

29er rigged for singlehanding - you have the weight for it

Musto Skiff - 250 will rapidly become 215 if you go this route, its a physical but exciting boat.

RS 700 - very much like the Musto.

Laser - at 250 you won't be competitive initially but if you sail a bunch you will get down closer in weight

Tasar - if you can find a very very very petit crew for racing,(80#-100# ie an adolescent kid).

Hoot - though he's not going to be selling outside the PNW for a few years

The raider as DE mentioned

For a "mostly fun" boat, you might even look at an "old school" I-14.   one with the shorter rig.  You could re-configure it for single handing by putting a self-tacking jib on it

And if this is just a fun boat.  See if you can find a used Laser II and do the same "single handed" conversion (you can just put a Dyneema line across the front of the mast from spin guy cleat to spin guy cleat and the jib will autotack on that - and then tie a prod to the forestay and mast and you have an assymetric boat you can single hand for dirt cheap

#4 Big D

Big D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Buy my IC and be done with it. If you dont like it your not out a lot. At $1200 it's a steal.

#5 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

That's not a bad suggestion

#6 Bleys

Bleys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the input so far guys. I appreciate the suggestions. As I get closer to finishing up at A&M this December I will be keeping my eyes open for some of these to try out. Hopefully by March or April I will have made up my mind and found the first of what will probably be many boats i my future.

BB, I definitely agree with the basic idea of me dropping down to the 215 neighborhood.

Big D, I would love to take you up on that offer but I won't be in the market until this coming spring due to work and school commitments.

#7 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts
  • Interests:High performance sailing, motorcycle road racing.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

And or mine;http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_255wt_1330

#8 kmccabe

kmccabe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,881 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Finn??

#9 ridethewinds

ridethewinds

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

How does one / what is involved with rigging a 29er to be single handed ?  Arent they more likely to be on the market used than a Raider given the production volume ?

#10 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Is very simple, biggest challenge is dual tiller extens, search on here for 29erX thread. And yes, can be had very reasonably.

#11 Gouvernail

Gouvernail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,608 posts
  • Interests:margaritas, hippie chicks, durable flying discs for retriever dog play

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Mc scow

#12 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

Oops!, have one of those for sale also!

#13 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

Is very simple, biggest challenge is dual tiller extens, search on here for 29erX thread. And yes, can be had very reasonably.

Yeah basiically all you have to do is to replace the existing tiller extension with one of the longer Musto skiff or 49er tiiller extensions and then rivet a second tiller socket on the bottom side of the tiller and attach a second one.  Then string a piece of bungee between them so that they stay reasonably forward for the tacks/gybes and you are pretty much done.

#14 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Yea, BB,I just meant the biggest challenge for me was getting used to it, very easy to install, etc. Main sheet cleating on boom also easy, and once used to, best system. I changed my MX to same. Can't do it on my AC, too far away when out on seat!

#15 baileyrace

baileyrace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

Oops!, have one of those for sale also!

Tell me about your MC Scow.

#16 surf_n_turf

surf_n_turf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Having a good time.

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

There is a big guy who can sail a V15 singlehanded very competitively.  There is also the MegaByte if you can find another one.

#17 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

I can sail a V15 singlehanded but not competitively because they don't allow that.

MC scow is a great fit. I met an MC sailor this summer who was very nice and also active in class promotion. Cool boat. Fast. Lots of capacity.

#18 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

MC scow is very competitive in TCC, unless it's windy, then better have a power boat around to right ya when capped. Mine is # 579, will be all completely redone soon, new lines, paint, trailer bunks, etc. SIX sails, two of which are new. Pm or call me,thx!

#19 Bleys

Bleys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:57 AM

Well, all this talk made me get out and sail some this week. I learned a few things, namely how out of shape I am. I finally got off my butt and started eating better in hopes of removing my extra 40 pounds; maybe by next spring I'll have myself in shape for a new boat. I don't know why but I've taken a liking to the lines of the Contender.

Edit: I'm out of shape enough a "sluggish 420" had my legs screaming whenever I had to bend down for two days :-(

#20 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

Its too easy to put on extra weight isn't it, fast food..and even the 'healthy' packaged stuff can be loaded with sugar.

If you are quite smitten with the likes of the Contender, then why not aim for that? nothing wrong with having that ambition:)  I was advised against the RS700 but was so intrigued I learnt to solo trapeze a Laser Vago (nice and tough and can take a knock or two) I am not the fittest specimen of mankind. Its technique that makes life easier :) 

I love the 700, got a Hobie 16 Cat too...now that might be the one for you, well made boats and while the design is old she can sure fly along.  Its not such a demanding boat either, you can choose to trapeze or just sit on the edge of the trampoline and hike.  I solo mine all the time, I don't use the Jib though. Its all a bit too much if the wind is fresh. Main can be reefed too, been out in some good strong breezes while reefed. Very well behaved boat.

Whichever you choose, its positive your doing something about your physical condition, good luck with it.

#21 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Well, all this talk made me get out and sail some this week. I learned a few things, namely how out of shape I am. I finally got off my butt and started eating better in hopes of removing my extra 40 pounds; maybe by next spring I'll have myself in shape for a new boat. I don't know why but I've taken a liking to the lines of the Contender.

Edit: I'm out of shape enough a "sluggish 420" had my legs screaming whenever I had to bend down for two days :-(

Well if you are overweight, I recommend a trap boat instead of a hiker -  because of the loads on your knees

#22 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,094 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

.......... I don't know why but I've taken a liking to the lines of the Contender.

...contenders are a good stable base,and probably economical if available(?),,and would probably mix well with the Texas Handicap guys.

......once you've been sailing a while,,you might find a medium size deep-cut chute to be of benefit...sacrilege** ,I know!

.....**..sac·ri·lege Noun ......''Violation or misuse of what is regarded as sacred''.

#23 ortegakid

ortegakid

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

We already have one dang contender here, he kills us most times 'cause of his handicap,(course it helps that he's a great sailor), but love to have more in our fleet, come on out and sail one of our IC's before you decide, I think we can hook ya!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users