6 replies to this topic

#1 mbettis5

mbettis5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Club racing, fun

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

I've been hoisting the chute from the rail on my j29, and dousing through the companionway. All of the reading I do says that going in and out the hatch is the way to go, and it makes sense to me for all sorts of reasons.

Here is my dilemma:

Once you douse into the forward hatch, leaving the sheets and halyard attached, the lines running into the hatch prevent dogging the hatch. This leaves an entry point for water coming over the bow to run right into the hatch. In 18+ knots, which we see more often than not on SF Bay, we get a lot of water on deck, and I'm nervous about leaving that hatch undogged.

So - I am reaching out to the community here for input - how much of a problem is this, and what is the solution?

Mark

#2 bloodshot

bloodshot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Interests:the pointy end of the boat

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

dog the hatch onto the three corners of the kite

#3 PATSYQPATSY

PATSYQPATSY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:everything

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

http://forums.sailin...howtopic=145134

Read this.

#4 JMOD

JMOD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:the usual stuff

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

indeed, leavethe corners of the kite out, you'll be fine. 

#5 SpeedSquare

SpeedSquare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting, J27's, Skiing

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

I just fashioned a companionway basket from some 1/2" electrical conduit, 4-90's, and a dept store replacement basket ball net.  I had 2 of the 4 small snap hooks.  Add some glue, zip ties and string.  $20(Cdn) Total assembly time....1 beer

#6 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

dog the hatch onto the three corners of the kite

+100

you still get a bit of leakage in 18+ as green water rolls and gets in the slight gap that creates.  BUT its less than the amount of water the kite will bring down

#7 jolly

jolly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

I've been hoisting the chute from the rail on my j29, and dousing through the companionway. All of the reading I do says that going in and out the hatch is the way to go, and it makes sense to me for all sorts of reasons.

Here is my dilemma:

Once you douse into the forward hatch, leaving the sheets and halyard attached, the lines running into the hatch prevent dogging the hatch. This leaves an entry point for water coming over the bow to run right into the hatch. In 18+ knots, which we see more often than not on SF Bay, we get a lot of water on deck, and I'm nervous about leaving that hatch undogged.

So - I am reaching out to the community here for input - how much of a problem is this, and what is the solution?

Mark

is your hatch fitted "backwards" with hinges at the bow end and open end towards the mast? that helps......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users