57 replies to this topic

#1 kitemare

kitemare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

Given that kites seem to be on the front page at least once a week... can we get a forum here or am i missing the appropriate location?

#2 PHM

PHM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Look who gave kites a one-design start. Pretty amazing!

http://sdyc.org/race...d_j_105s_at_odw

#3 out-standing-in-my-field

out-standing-in-my-field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

..afaik, a new forum on SA needs a sponsor first!

dem's da rules! :rolleyes:

#4 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

There is a front page?

#5 out-standing-in-my-field

out-standing-in-my-field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Given that kites BIKINIS seem to be on the front page at least once a week... can we get a forum here or am i missing the appropriate location?

fixed it fer ya!!

#6 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Given that kites BIKINIS metabolically challenged financiers seem to be on the front page at least once a week... can we get a forum here or am i missing the appropriate location?

fixed it fer ya!!

edited for truthiness

#7 hobot

hobot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Given that kites BIKINIS metabolically challenged financiers seem to be on the front page at least once a week... can we get a forum here or am i missing the appropriate location?

fixed it fer ya!!

edited for truthiness

nuthin' but tumble weeds in that forum Timo.

#8 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

fixed it fer ya!!

edited for truthiness

Not saying it would be popular, just saying that if you went by 'content' on the mythical front page... :P

#9 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,581 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

fixed it fer ya!!

edited for truthiness

Not saying it would be popular, just saying that if you went by 'content' on the mythical front page... :P

.......ummm,who would the advertiser be???

#10 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

I used a 1-meter trainer not a lot of power, but we get high wind here, sometimes it's enough for a bit of power.

I'm looking to get a 3.5 meter trainer in the next few weeks. We have a mesa near my house, steady wind, I'm hoping to use the 3.5 meter for some snowkiting power up on the mesa. No power lines up there, maybe also a mountain lake about an hour from here, once it freezes up.

#11 Moonduster

Moonduster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

Is Kite Boarding even sailing?

I mean ... really?

#12 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,581 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:38 AM

I used a 1-meter trainer not a lot of power, but we get high wind here, sometimes it's enough for a bit of power.

I'm looking to get a 3.5 meter trainer in the next few weeks. We have a mesa near my house, steady wind, I'm hoping to use the 3.5 meter for some snowkiting power up on the mesa. No power lines up there, maybe also a mountain lake about an hour from here, once it freezes up.

...that'd be fun,,just be wary of updrafts :mellow: .......  

#13 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

I mean ... really?

I've no idea, I'm still just a beginner. It sure feels like sex though, albeit without the keel and all that rigging.

#14 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Rather than get a large trainer, a small real kite (with load transferred to harness) would probably suit you better. I would think it would be a bit tiring to try and hold a 3.5m kite with your arms for actual use.

Dillon?

#15 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

That's what scares me, especially getting slammed into rocks or blown off the mesa. The wind can come up suddenly here, and we gets gusts above 100 mph.

I'm hoping to spend a year or two with the 3.5 m trainer until I'm confident with the control. It seems the guy in that video was something of a beginner, maybe with too big of a kite (is that one about 6m?) he should have been able to douse some of that power before being carried away like that.

Of course, he landed with nothing broken, and he held on, so he's a good snowkiter.

#16 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

Rather than get a large trainer, a small real kite (with load transferred to harness) would probably suit you better. I would think it would be a bit tiring to try and hold a 3.5m kite with your arms for actual use.

Dillon?

Maybe Dillon. I hear that some of the guys around here head out to the hills near Rocky Flats, near the NREL wind turbine test site. Plenty of hills, snow and wind.

I looked into a beginner kite, but honestly, I'm still a little scared of a 5m or 6m kite. I was thinking that later on I can get a harness for the 3.5m. I thought I could do that, no? I also hope to give the 1m to one of my kids, then get them into the 3.5m when I move up to a 6m, and hopefully we can sail together.

I didn't know that you did it JMD, I'm finding that it's like a secret underground society. I live at the base of Mt. Zion, which is a big paraglider location around here, and my kids and I watch them fly over our heads. I don't currently have the bravery or wallet thickness for that, so the kiting has been my entry.

What size kite or kites do you regularly use, and start?

#17 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

I noticed that Kitemare, the OP in this thread, has an online kiteboarding business, maybe Scott can give him a deal?

#18 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

TAKE THIS SHIT TO ONE OF THE MILLION EXISTING KITE FORUMS!

I come to SA to escape all the bullshit that kite forums are full of!

#19 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Dillon?

Maybe Dillon. I hear that some of the guys around here head out to the hills near Rocky Flats, near the NREL wind turbine test site. Plenty of hills, snow and wind.

I looked into a beginner kite, but honestly, I'm still a little scared of a 5m or 6m kite. I was thinking that later on I can get a harness for the 3.5m. I thought I could do that, no? I also hope to give the 1m to one of my kids, then get them into the 3.5m when I move up to a 6m, and hopefully we can sail together.

I didn't know that you did it JMD, I'm finding that it's like a secret underground society. I live at the base of Mt. Zion, which is a big paraglider location around here, and my kids and I watch them fly over our heads. I don't currently have the bravery or wallet thickness for that, so the kiting has been my entry.

All of the trainer kites I have seen are 2-line, meaning there are two lines running from the kite to the bar. On a full size kite, there are 4 lines. Two run from the leading edge through the center of the bar and to the harness, two run from the wingtips to the bar tips. The leading edge lines carry most of the load, so the bar just steers the kite and is the gas pedal (in and out trim).

I don't snowkite, but my current inventory for the water is a 10m, 11m, and a 14m and I weight about 150. The 14 starts to get a bit unruly in the mid-teens, but then that's a SA/D ratio of something like 80.

#20 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

I used to see a similar sentiment here about cruising and dinghies.

#21 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

All of the trainer kites I have seen are 2-line, meaning there are two lines running from the kite to the bar. On a full size kite, there are 4 lines. Two run from the leading edge through the center of the bar and to the harness, two run from the wingtips to the bar tips. The leading edge lines carry most of the load, so the bar just steers the kite and is the gas pedal (in and out trim).

I don't snowkite, but my current inventory for the water is a 10m, 11m, and a 14m and I weight about 150. The 14 starts to get a bit unruly in the mid-teens, but then that's a SA/D ratio of something like 80.

The 3m I was looking at was a three-line kite, money is a real issue, I'm hoping to start on an Nano Bic clone build for the kids, so I would like to get a kite that I can use for a while, I won't have cash after that.

Maybe a 5m 4-line would be a better choice and I'll stay in when the gusts come up. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. As I read more it seems that 3m won't be enough power.

#22 JohnMB

JohnMB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

Dillon?

I've used a 4line buggy kite (flexifoil skytiger) for snowkiting, its around 4m2, and uses handles rather than a bar.

I use it with a dakine spreader bar on an old climbing harness, (using a line between the two power lines which the spreader bar can hook in like on a windsurfer to take pressure off the arms, )

This set up works well on snow (there was enough power for lake dillon), being a buggy kite you can S-curve it around more easily than the bigger inflatables so in lower winds you have to work it a little more, but there where days I could get it working when the big kites where still idle.

Its not much use for jumping, but on a gusty day I usually feel that's a good thing, especially having seen a guy who didn't park his kite in time getting lifted and slammed by a gust rolling along the lake.

#23 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

I see what you're saying, but CA and DA are very helpful with lots of good information there....Just my .02 is all..

#24 Renegade26

Renegade26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Racer Chasers

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Any Kite surfers in the greater chicago area? trying to get some gear and get some advice. 

#25 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

I see what you're saying, but CA and DA are very helpful with lots of good information there....Just my .02 is all..

I hear you ... I did look at some kiting forums, they seem to be mostly populated by kids, along the lines of "what's the worry dude? Just grab a 12 meter and carve it up."

I'm not afraid to admit it, but I'm scared of the Front Range gusts and a too big surface. An SA kiteboard forum would be a sailor's forum. Anyway, kiteboarding articles have been on the mythical SA front page for years.

#26 Leon T

Leon T

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

I almost tried kiteboarding in Hatteras many years ago, until I saw this

#27 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

The 3m I was looking at was a three-line kite, money is a real issue, I'm hoping to start on an Nano Bic clone build for the kids, so I would like to get a kite that I can use for a while, I won't have cash after that.

Maybe a 5m 4-line would be a better choice and I'll stay in when the gusts come up. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. As I read more it seems that 3m won't be enough power.

Keep in mind that I know nothing about what constitutes a "good sized" kite when you're snow kiting, but it would seem to me that in general if you own one kite and you're just starting out, too small is more dangerous than a larger size. Not because of anything physical with the kite, but if you're way short on horsepower you'll only be out there on days when there are more likely to be big ol' gusts.

I almost tried kiteboarding in Hatteras many years ago, until I saw this.

Happens all the time. In fact, everyone that kiteboards dies.

#28 JohnMB

JohnMB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

Keep in mind that I know nothing about what constitutes a "good sized" kite when you're snow kiting, but it would seem to me that in general if you own one kite and you're just starting out, too small is more dangerous than a larger size. Not because of anything physical with the kite, but if you're way short on horsepower you'll only be out there on days when there are more likely to be big ol' gusts.

I don't think I agree with this.

from my experience even a small kite can get you moving on snow, (as long as you learn to sine turn it, and its small enough to accelerate well) in light winds.

the key skill to learn for gust is how and when to park it, e.g. when is it safe to park in the top of the window and when to get the kite on the ground (or disconnected).

you can certainly learn this with a small kite.

Farmers corner on Lake DIllon is a great place to start out, if there is an decent breeze there will probably be people out there, and they will be people who actually know what the F*** they are doing rather that the "just carve it up with a 12m bro" guys. The last time I saw a big slam there, the guy who go carted off in the ambulance had been given a quick release by one of the other guys out, and then decided he preferred his own rig, which consisted of a screwgate between his harness and the  bar...... not a solution I would wish on anyone. He got hoisted because he didn't have enough control to get parked as the gust hit..... 6 kites where straight overhead the seventh was slamming right through the middle of the window., guess who got launched.

#29 Monkey

Monkey

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,377 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:18 AM

..afaik, a new forum on SA needs a sponsor first!

dem's da rules! :rolleyes:

Spot on. We all know Scot's a bit of a whore. Pay him and he'll give you whatever you like.

Exhibit A: J Boats Forum.

#30 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,581 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

..yer ever thought of suicide?...or maybe just don't look at what yer don't like! <_<

That's what scares me, especially getting slammed into rocks or blown off the mesa.

..make sure you've got a -good- post ~2008 quick-release,and know how to use it,,,,

and stay away from pre ~2008 kites period---their systems and safeties are antique compared to anything newer,,,

,,,,,,and don't use a -trainer- that doesn't depower! :blink:

....a couple of years ago,,I showed up with a 'wipika' at ventana,,one of the KB meccas in mexico,,

,,,,,,,,,,upon mentioning the name,,the guy beside me quips,,''ah,you brought something for the museum''....and I was politely schooled on the quick evolution that kites have gone through.......you might not be so lucky if you do this in isolation :o

#31 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

from my experience even a small kite can get you moving on snow, (as long as you learn to sine turn it, and its small enough to accelerate well) in light winds.
the key skill to learn for gust is how and when to park it, e.g. when is it safe to park in the top of the window and when to get the kite on the ground (or disconnected).

Farmers corner on Lake DIllon is a great place to start out, if there is an decent breeze there will probably be people out there, and they will be people who actually know what the F*** they are doing rather that the "just carve it up with a 12m bro" guys. The last time I saw a big slam there, the guy who go carted off in the ambulance had been given a quick release by one of the other guys out, and then decided he preferred his own rig, which consisted of a screwgate between his harness and the  bar...... not a solution I would wish on anyone. He got hoisted because he didn't have enough control to get parked as the gust hit..... 6 kites where straight overhead the seventh was slamming right through the middle of the window., guess who got launched.

Define "small." I'm saying a 3-5 is too small, and that a 6-8 is probably about right, but then as I previously stated, I've never actually snow-kited and you apparently have.

#32 JohnMB

JohnMB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

Define "small." I'm saying a 3-5 is too small, and that a 6-8 is probably about right, but then as I previously stated, I've never actually snow-kited and you apparently have.

My skytiger is around 4m,

BUT its a buggy kite not an inflatable, so you cant directly compare.

#33 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

It's not real sailing anyways.

#34 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

My skytiger is around 4m,
BUT its a buggy kite not an inflatable, so you cant directly compare.

Gotcha, I was talking LEI. No idea on foils.

#35 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Any Kite surfers in the greater chicago area? trying to get some gear and get some advice. 

These guys are super helpful, very good advice on gear and where/when to ride in your area:

ChicagoKitesurfing

As far as gear goes, this forum is amazing:

nwkite

or

Kiteforum

#36 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

..yer ever thought of suicide?...or maybe just don't look at what yer don't like! <_<

You fucking kidding me?  Douche thing to say couch...

#37 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

been kiting almost 10 yrs. both water and snow.

as far as safety on either as a beginer, it's ALL about the weather!

You are far safer with a big kite in a moderate steady breeze than a small kite in high gusty winds.

So, to Mike and all.  I would suggest a 10-12m inflatable bow kite, and finding regular steady winds of 12-15 kts to get started.

#38 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,581 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

It's not real sailing anyways.

....one of the purest forms of our many-faceted sport!

You fucking kidding me?  Douche thing to say couch...
....c'mon a kite forum would be pretty innocuous compared to many other places on SA,no?
.......if you re-read your post,,you'll realize you were 'SHOUTING',,,and being somewhat inflammatory in your language...

.....so you got 'flamed'!!.........(emoticons not working,,or I'd put a 'wink' here!)

#39 Timo42

Timo42

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

These guys are super helpful, very good advice on gear and where/when to ride in your area:

ChicagoKitesurfing

As far as gear goes, this forum is amazing:

nwkite

or

Kiteforum

Ooh, looky, kiteboarding forums. :rolleyes:  :ph34r:

#40 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Sail - X

Boat - X

Racing - Kinda

1 out of 3 ain't bad. 

#41 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,581 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sail - X
Boat - X
Racing - Kinda

1 out of 3 ain't bad.
..if I took your inventory it's lots of keelboats,,,,,racing,,,but not so much if any(??)dinghies or -real- racing!?

....good t'have stuff saved for th' for th'bucket list,I guess!?

#42 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Sail - X
Boat - X
Racing - Kinda

1 out of 3 ain't bad.

No Sperry Topsiders or Blue Blazers either. Are those individual X's or just one?

#43 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,701 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Haha, coming to SA to avoid BS.  best laugh of the day

#44 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Sail - X
Boat - X
Racing - Kinda

1 out of 3 ain't bad.
..if I took your inventory it's lots of keelboats,,,,,racing,,,but not so much if any(??)dinghies or -real- racing!?

....good t'have stuff saved for th' for th'bucket list,I guess!?

I did enough "real" racing to figure out how much I hate it. Am having much more fun doing what I'm doing than I ever had in tiny little painboxes. 

#45 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

been kiting almost 10 yrs. both water and snow.

as far as safety on either as a beginer, it's ALL about the weather!

You are far safer with a big kite in a moderate steady breeze than a small kite in high gusty winds.

So, to Mike and all.  I would suggest a 10-12m inflatable bow kite, and finding regular steady winds of 12-15 kts to get started.

Been asking around. It seems the inflatable edge kites are too fragile away from the water, they get punctured on anything but very thick snow pack. I'm now looking at a tractor foil like JohnMB, which are normally not so good in water because they sink, but are supposedly better on land and ice.

Also, on hardback, a lot less kite is needed, these guys use 5 to 8 m kites, at altitude the high speed gusts come too regularly. Also, the air density at 10 degrees F is very different than a hot summer day, much less foil is supposedly needed.

And oh yeah ... I'm chickenshit of getting carried off on a 10m and dropped onto ice pack or a
Boothie's Armageddon truck.

I'm looking forward to not having to buy lift tickets anymore and driving to a reservoir instead of a resort.

#46 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

I mean ... really?

I've no idea, I'm still just a beginner. It sure feels like sex though, albeit without the keel and all that rigging.
But like all sex Mike, there are still plenty of strings attached!

#47 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

I mean ... really?

But like all sex Mike, there are still plenty of strings cold pressed, stainless steel chains attached!
Fixed.

#48 kitemare

kitemare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

I noticed that Kitemare, the OP in this thread, has an online kiteboarding business, maybe Scott can give him a deal?

I had to google my own username to figure out what you were talking about..... curiously enough i have absolutely nothing to do with kite sales or lessons thats not my website. Just a humble mechanical engineer. For as many trolling a-holes that there are in these SA forums there are occasionally some really knowledgeable people whose opinions i value. With moths, catamarans and kite racers all seem to be converging on interesting foiling solutions to getting around the course fastest would at least be interesting to see some cross pollination of ideas & concepts. 

Or we could at least get into shit fights about which forms of wind powered propulsion are allowed into our exclusive club.  

#49 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:43 AM

Quick question ...

I got a new 4 meter traction kite for the snow (thanks JohnMB, I hope to head up to Dillon this winter as well). It's step up from the previous trainer. I heard how easily the bladders are punctured on land so the traction kite made sense. This one is a 4-line kite, I was going to ask the experts here two questions, one about the best knot that I can use to trim the lines under tension. But then I looked it up and found the suggestion of the Larks Head, seems simple enough.

The other question ... I have seen guys launch their inflatable foils, that seems pretty obvious. But what's a decent way to to launch a non-inflatable traction kite, single handed?

#50 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

a singlehanded launch on a ram air kite is not that easy, particularly if its windy.

what I would suggest is to set the kite down on its trailing edge, and kind of accordion the kite on top of itself

so that the leading edge is facing up.  put something on top of it to try and keep it that way, small rock etc.

then run your lines out dead upwind of the kite,  As it is a ram air it will need to 'inflate' by getting air to run

through the kite.  you can do this with slight tugs on the bar.

when it looks in some what flying shape go ahead and give a good pull back, either using your arms, or a couple

quick steps back, and the kite should launch.

As i said, this is tough in the breezy stuff because this position is what is called the 'hot launch' zone. meaning the kite will

have full power right off the ground.  A more typical high wind launch would be at the 'wind window' which is somewhat 90 deg

from ddw.  to try a wind window launch you could put a rock on the lower wing of the kite with the rest of the kite on its back away from 

you.  you then trim in the upper wing of the kite till it is right side up and it should launch from there.  This is a trickier launch by yourself.

if your doing a hot launch on a windy day, you may want to be in a seated position to begin.  less chance of getting a ride on your belly.

#51 JohnMB

JohnMB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Like RA says, the trick is to have it in a stable position on the ground and then get it into a stable position in the air, like a spinnaker these are the two 'safe' places of it to be.

With no lines attached the kite cannot power up, so first you lay out the lines, then lay out you kite, attach the kite to the lines, walk back checking the lines as you walk, on snow, they have a tendency to cut into the snow itself and this can be a pain when launching,

for snow you can use the snow to weight the kite pre launch. most times I launch in the middle of the window (kite dead upwind) the kite starts on its back, with snow piled along the trailing edge. Also I tend to lay out the lines first, then the kite, then attach the kite to the lines and then walk back to the handles.

For an edge of the window launch (kite initially at a wind angle of 70-80 degrees) I pile snow on the side of the kite nearest , and have the leading edge into the wind. pulling the further line first starts inflating the far edge of the kite.

Both launches take practice, but work fine. beaches make good practice spots the sand can be used for weight:

#52 Raked aft \\

Raked aft \\

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Just as an aside,  I've done all my snow kiting on inflatable kites.  Never had a bladder puncture or canopy tear, that after putting the kite down hard on the surface plenty. 

They are more trimable (depower) and relaunch way easier.  Ram air foil kites basically don't relaunch.  You'll get the idea when your in a couple feet of snow, strapped into a snowboard, and your foil kite is in a pile downwind of you... 

#53 JohnMB

JohnMB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Just as an aside,  I've done all my snow kiting on inflatable kites.  Never had a bladder puncture or canopy tear, that after putting the kite down hard on the surface plenty. 

They are more trimable (depower) and relaunch way easier.  Ram air foil kites basically don't relaunch.  You'll get the idea when your in a couple feet of snow, strapped into a snowboard, and your foil kite is in a pile downwind of you... 

Depends on the kite

I didn't find relaunching my skytiger a problem. but then I've not used an inflatable so they could be a lot easier.

#54 Reht

Reht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

Inflatables on snow is so easy, I've yet to try a ram air, so I can't say from personal experience. With the inflatables the kite keeps its shape and is pretty easy to move around and relaunch from the bar end of the lines when on the snow. I've crashed and bumped my kites plenty of times, I've only ever had two bits of damage.

One time was a bladder that blew up, considering the damage to the bladder and how little there was to the kite, I suspect that it had had a previous incident and the bladder was already weakened (probably the biggest problem with buying a second-hand inflatable). The other time I was kiting along, hit by a hard gust and just cranked on, the canopy split, this I assume was the result of previous damage to the canopy that I failed to notice, big gust loaded up the kite and pop it went. I managed to do a fine looking repair to that myself and it only took about 20 minutes with some spin tape and a sewing machine.

Basically kites are like large spinnakers that are being seriously loaded the entire time you use them, treat them as such and inspect them as such and you'll be fine.

#55 DennisY

DennisY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Small high performance mono's and tri's. Red heads.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

???????????

#56 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,155 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

Any suggestions ...

I have a four-line ram air kite, about 4 meters.

Plenty of wind, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to set up the control lines to get it launched, the bottom of the kite keeps getting the tension first  and it won't right. I understand that the top lines should be a little shorter than the bottom lines, but by how much?

Also, the kite came with a lot (way too much) line, I want to start out with the least possible that I can keep the kite flying from my ridge but not so much that I end up with an unmanageable tangled mess. About what is the least amount of line which I can measure out for the top and for the bottom to attach to my handles?

I hope to get the hang of handling this four-line kite before moving to the harness.

Thanks.

#57 czo79

czo79

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

my limited experience, bars are way way easier to live with than handles. 

czo

#58 eastern motors

eastern motors

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

Anyone here kiteboard around Detroit?

I had a 15m C-kite around 2005 but I sold it because i was moving.  Looking at getting another kite.  Thinking a 15m bow kite.  I'm 200lbs so I need some power and Detroit has light winds most of the time.  Any recommendations or anyone want meet up when it gets warmer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users