15 replies to this topic

#1 rogerbromleighmcneil

rogerbromleighmcneil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:single malt

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

Recently,,,somewhere.... there was a suggestion for cross decking sheets for single handing a OLSON30....anybody know where it is???

#2 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Single - handed sailing, sailing with my kids, open water swimming

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

PM Foolish. He wrote the book on single handing and all done on an O30. The book is a free download through Single handed sailing society site... I think?

#3 Fiasco 1

Fiasco 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Racing my Ross 930 (Interim)

Anarchy is not about a lack of rules.

Its about a lack of rulers.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

It is on single handed sailing site , Send him a few clams it is very well done and researched well.

#4 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

What you are looking for is on page 3-15 of my book.  www.sfbaysss.org/tipsbook

I also use a single, continuous sheet to reduce the amount of line in the cockpit.

Running the sheets across the cockpit is such an incredibly good idea that I can't imagine why everyone doesn't do it.

Attached Files

#5 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

I single-handed my Olson 30 yesterday.  Cross sheeting the jib to the cabin tops is key.  Don't necessarily need the continuous sheet, although I can see the advantages.

Now, taking down the Spinnaker in the high teens, that was fun...

#6 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

The absolute fastest way to take down the spinnaker on an O30 - really

Attached Files

#7 rogerbromleighmcneil

rogerbromleighmcneil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:single malt

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

Tks to respondents. Some of you have a wry sense of humour. I have down loaded the book , & will donate.

Thankyou

Single malt

#8 Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Frostbite Racing, Abstract Painting, Oil Changes, Robert Louis Stevenson

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

I like that continuous line set up... 

#9 DJL

DJL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Olson 30s. Sailing Olson 30s.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:53 AM

Ouch.  I've always thought that the O30 mast was almost bulletproof.  What was the failure mode?

#10 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

Ouch.  I've always thought that the O30 mast was almost bulletproof.  What was the failure mode?

Yes, curious too. Looks almost like it sheared right at the deck. Did a rod pop?

#11 Ultraman

Ultraman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Bad news on your rig.  Did the insurance company right off the boat?  What was the failure?

#12 Foolish

Foolish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:04 AM

Sorry, I've been in the Dark Continent so did not see these questions.   A case of too much spinnaker and too much wind.   An eyesplice in the adjustable spectra backstay broke (broke, not slipped) and the entire mast snapped right at the deck.

The entire repair quote came in at $14k.  But I was able to do about 2/3 of the repairs myself so the insurance is paying for the 1/3 that I could not do, like repairing the mast and new wire rigging. 

In the photo you can see two large ships.  They were circling around until I did a pan pan and told them I was fine.  The coast guard overheard my message and they sent out the volunteer SAR team to tow me in. 

After many years and about 1,000 days of sailing, I have still NEVER had a bad day of sailing - a day when I would rather have stayed home.  I've had interesting days, challenging days, expensive days - but never a bad day.

#13 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:33 AM

Sorry, I've been in the Dark Continent so did not see these questions.   A case of too much spinnaker and too much wind.   An eyesplice in the adjustable spectra backstay broke (broke, not slipped) and the entire mast snapped right at the deck.

The entire repair quote came in at $14k.  But I was able to do about 2/3 of the repairs myself so the insurance is paying for the 1/3 that I could not do, like repairing the mast and new wire rigging. 

In the photo you can see two large ships.  They were circling around until I did a pan pan and told them I was fine.  The coast guard overheard my message and they sent out the volunteer SAR team to tow me in. 

After many years and about 1,000 days of sailing, I have still NEVER had a bad day of sailing - a day when I would rather have stayed home.  I've had interesting days, challenging days, expensive days - but never a bad day.

Truly sorry to hear that. Sue Spectra! Sue the people that sold you the Spectra! Sue the splicer! You're a better man than me. I would have crawled into bed and sulked for a week.

#14 armac

armac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:catching that wave...

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Foolish,

Was your mast one of the Balangers with a welded vang tang? If so, did the mast fail in the area of the weld?

Thanks,

Rob

#15 Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:16 AM

With my amazing pinch and zoom capability it seems you may be right. But don't tell Buzz.

#16 armac

armac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:catching that wave...

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

One of the few things I hate is welding in structural areas on HT Alu. It's pretty, it's neat, it's stupid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users