#1 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

Will Oracle take another race or are ETNZ heading for match point?

I've been waiting for this point for years and now it's upon us part of me doesn't want it to end!

What changes could Oracle possibly do to the boat to somehow make gains?

This was the noticeboard at ETNZ on day 4, from a mate who was there:

Attached File  1238226_10151909396336779_1447841364_n.jpg   93.53K   667 downloads

I'd suggest they would have posted the NZ Herald cover to take the piss out of 'Cool Cat' Dean Barker more than anything else.

#2 Candyfloss

Candyfloss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:27 AM

You mean I'm allowed to say that I think it will be all over on Sunday (SF time) without posters bandying words like "hubris", "tosser", and "fuck off noobie" at me?

I mean, and all credit to whoever was/is responsible, this is the first time I have been back here since the last AC and mate, it was brutal back then. Much better now. Anarchy doesn't work, does it.

So I'll chance my arm, raise it to a vertical position, and say "It will all be over on Sunday". Monday for me.

See you in Auckland.

#3 Marcog

Marcog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Oracle will win 9-7.
Since they want to keep the Cup the only solution for them is to crush into Nzl get dsq for that race. Then use the identical twin spare boat to beat Nzl as Nzl does not have an identical ready to race spare boat.

#4 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

Its bad for OR,  Not many wind conditions left.  Maybe an ebb tide on the upwind to shorten the length???

Thursday's races revealed all.

#5 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

How many more will OR win?

Before today they looked every bit like they could string a couple together, but the last three races have been emphatic wins for TNZ.

#6 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, AC,

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

How many more will OR win?

Before today they looked every bit like they could string a couple together, but the last three races have been emphatic wins for TNZ.

They got a couple up their sleeve I think. Prob clear their penalty. Maybe become competitive at the final hour 

#7 christom

christom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

You mean I'm allowed to say that I think it will be all over on Sunday (SF time) without posters bandying words like "hubris", "tosser", and "fuck off noobie" at me?
I mean, and all credit to whoever was/is responsible, this is the first time I have been back here since the last AC and mate, it was brutal back then. Much better now. Anarchy doesn't work, does it.
So I'll chance my arm, raise it to a vertical position, and say "It will all be over on Sunday". Monday for me.
See you in Auckland.

I agree that the forums are much better this time around. Last time I really do think there were some fully paid by the post Alinghi trolls who's only job was to muddy the waters and make the whole forum so unbearable that we would all go away.

This time I just hear whingey yanks upset because the Kiwis have stolen their exceptional ism. USA USa not.

#8 marlowe

marlowe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

Its bad for OR,  Not many wind conditions left.  Maybe an ebb tide on the upwind to shorten the length???

Was race 4 (OR's win) an ebb tide? High winds, and seemed to me the most choppy water we've had.

Maybe that is the best chance OR has of nullifying ETNZ's upwind advantage.

#9 Abraxas3

Abraxas3

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Oracle will win 9-7.
Since they want to keep the Cup the only solution for them is to crush into Nzl get dsq for that race. Then use the identical twin spare boat to beat Nzl as Nzl does not have an identical ready to race spare boat.

If OR does something like that there is nothing stopping the jury to DSQ Oracle and awarding points to ETNZ. I mean if the jury finds that adding a few millimeters here and a few kg there on a AC45 is gross misconduct, what would you say crushing another boat would be???

But hopefully you were joking... 

#10 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Was race 4 (OR's win) an ebb tide? High winds, and seemed to me the most choppy water we've had.

If I was OR I would sail the race like ENTZ is not even there - basically a speed trial - dont even look at the other boat.  Minimize the tacks but mode the boat for speed NOT tacking!

This is their only chance!!!!

#11 NZL3481

NZL3481

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Good luck with that.

#12 Abraxas3

Abraxas3

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

If I was OR I would sail the race like ENTZ is not even there - basically a speed trial - dont even look at the other boat.  Minimize the tacks but mode the boat for speed NOT tacking!

But they would still have ETNZ coming over and give them shitty wind on the upwind leg, you surly can't ignore that without falling further behind....

#13 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

But they would still have ETNZ coming over and give them shitty wind on the upwind leg, you surly can't ignore that without falling further behind....

Agreed.  Its last ditch effort at this point.

Win the start, wind the reach, wind the downwind leg, and hit the boundaries, no tacking until boundaries are hit.

#14 Paul Romain Tober

Paul Romain Tober

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

See you in Auckland.

JHC, what a tosser. What unbelievable hubris.

Have you posted a pic of your girlfriend's/wife's tits?

Fuck off noobie.

Romain

ps:

I can't imagine how this could last past Sunday unless ETNZ breaks.

I feel genuinely sorry for Larry's minions - this has to be wildly embarassing for them being beaten consistently by a piece of agricultural equipment.

However, it ain't over 'til it's over.

R

#15 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

See you in Auckland.

JHC, what a tosser. What unbelievable hubris.

Have you posted a pic of your girlfriend's/wife's tits?

Fuck off noobie.

Romain

ps:

I can't imagine how this could last past Sunday unless ETNZ breaks.

I feel genuinely sorry for Larry's minions - this has to be wildly embarassing for them being beaten consistently by a piece of agricultural equipment.

However, it ain't over 'til it's over.

R

WTF?

Romain, do you really want me to post a picture of your spouse's breast(s)?

#16 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Ha, ah, er, says something when the user count triples after two posts mentioning bosom!

#17 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Anything that makes the water rougher or the wind lighter will only benefit ETNZ.

Wind lighter -> tacks cost more cos boat moving at a (relatively) glacial pace and OR will have more trouble staying on foils downwind

Water rougher -> Fine bows will bury in more upwind.

Other than 0 knots of breeze I can't think of a single condition that they will be able to match ETNZ

#18 Abraxas3

Abraxas3

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Any locals with a good prediction of the weather forecast for the races on Saturday and Sunday?

Would be interesting to see races in both the light and heavy end of the possible range. Who knows, we might never see these boats sail again after Sunday!

#19 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Agreed.  Its last ditch effort at this point.

Win the start, wind the reach, wind the downwind leg, and hit the boundaries, no tacking until boundaries are hit.

Trouble is that there are enough tacks even if they pinball off the boundaries for OR to lose.

Take race 4 out of the equation, it was due to gear failure. OR cannot match ETNZ under any circumstances

#20 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,958 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

See you in Auckland.

"hubris", "tosser", and "fuck off noobie"  :) 

#21 C Dub

C Dub

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Oracle better put every mod they have on the boat today, or tomorrow is going to be 2 more losses.

#22 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

Oracle better put every mod they have on the boat today, or tomorrow is going to be 2 more losses.

I can't see any mods closing the game and frankly they might accidentally make things worse.

They won't have time to test the changes on the water or in the computer, so it is all pretty hit and miss.,

Whats more, there are a bunch fundamental differences contributing to the differences upwind that OR have no way of replicating.

#23 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

OR have a new Measurement Certificate...but so does ETNZ.

#24 sfnewfan

sfnewfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

Take race 4 out of the equation, it was due to gear failure. OR cannot match ETNZ under any circumstances

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere -- was this ever confirmed? 

#25 uflux

uflux

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing, Sailing...

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

Would be so funny if OR came out with pie warmers....But lets be honest what can they change?? Don't have time or weight quota to make hull changes....No time to build anymore foils or rudders...No time to change the foil boxes...They can change the wing rake (although they did that the other day before running home to momma). So what is left...A new jib perhaps (desperation with no testing)....Nothing is going to stop the bows digging in and interestingly in the post race on board interview with Spithill, when asked what design changes could be made...Spithill suggested that the designs were basically locked in...After months of 2 boat testing we have seen the best OR can throw at us....They have been left wanting...

#26 BUltee

BUltee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere -- was this ever confirmed? 
On the radio Dalts said it wasn't a mechanical problem but how they use the hydraulics in that wind mode that was the issue. All fixed now though

#27 Redsled

Redsled

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:59 AM

Oooh, can't wait to try to pick out the differences.

#28 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:03 AM

So the question begs - why did OR build two boats with almost the same hulls????

The one thing you wouldnt be able to change during the AC - the hulls - they are dead nuts the same.

#29 uflux

uflux

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing, Sailing...

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:22 AM

Okay locals..Probably most important question is what is the wind/tide doing tomorrow...I hear we will have ebb with a bit of breeze....local observations much appreciated..

#30 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • Interests:sea and snow and ice

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

So the question begs - why did OR build two boats with almost the same hulls????

The one thing you wouldnt be able to change during the AC - the hulls - they are dead nuts the same.

I bet TNZ wish thay had a spare platform with hullz the saem az there race bote

My understanding iz OR bote 2 haz the daggerbord caess in a diff plaice fore & aft.

(Beams attach in diff pozishuns also, so I gess the layup iz diff)

Given thay rebilt bote 1 at saem tym az bilding bote 2, not shore thay woud want to

Az for yore poynt <<The one thing you wouldnt be able to change during the AC - the hulls>>

There iz a rumor that they are grafting new, fuller bowz onto there bote 2 az we speek.

I dont no that thay have anything left in the wate budjet, tho . . . myt hav to trim sumthing off elsewheer.

IF (big if) troo . . . .

#31 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

OR has lost the design battle. Game over.

#32 zillafreak

zillafreak

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

Major fuckup imo. b2 should have added volume. Morelli talks about the hundreds of hull shapes they modeled and they came back to the same basic shape, the current TNZ form. It is the best shape/volume possible. Not pencil hulls with no volume. Somebody fucked up at OR.

#33 NZL4EVER

NZL4EVER

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit, Running, V8 Supercars, America's Cup

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

Attached File  130913NZHREtoon copy.gif   79.12K   92 downloads

#34 scarecow

scarecow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Getting home.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

http://forecast.weat....45086669921875

Saturday: WSW wind 16 to 21 kt. Patchy fog before 11am. 

Saturday Night: WSW wind 17 to 21 kt. Patchy fog after 11pm. 

Tide going out until 2pm

#35 southseasbill

southseasbill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

So windy with an ebb tide.

#36 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

Major fuckup imo. b2 should have added volume. Morelli talks about the hundreds of hull shapes they modeled and they came back to the same basic shape, the current TNZ form. It is the best shape/volume possible. Not pencil hulls with no volume. Somebody fucked up at OR.

Its all very well to see that in hindsight, but they had a LOT of people smarter and more knowledgeable that us working on it.

And its not like their boat is slow like Artemis' boat is it? Its off the pace, but it aint a piece of crap.

It would certainly kick the shit out of ETNZ's boat 1, which is one reason to pray out boat stays in one piece

#37 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

So windy with an ebb tide.

I wonder if there is a risk that OR might push to hard and bury the nose in for a repeat of the Orpocalypse?

I hope they are smart enough to throw the race if it gets to that point.

They got lucky with no injuries the first time, there is no guarantees they would be as lucky again.

#38 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

ABs doing the job on the 'Boks

#39 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

First leg's in: AB's thrash the Jappies again, and the Rugby Championship sealed for 2013.

Second leg in 11 hours...

#40 Candyfloss

Candyfloss

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

And counting...

#41 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

No more races for Oracle they are officially GONE.! The Kiwis are winning from behind, what more do you want..? Grant Dalton is already planning the next design and has written 3 variations of his victory speech....Oracle have never done well at the LVC or the AC, this time is no exception. I doubt Larry will do another one, shit he hired the so-called best guys in the world and they are getting smashed. I can't see anybody beating the Kiwis for years and years and I can't see more than 4 teams next time around. Sadly for New Zealand the next AC will be a battle, not sure hat they can do with it to make it a success.?

#42 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • Interests:sea and snow and ice

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

I am conserned that, if tomorrow bringz a new set of condishuns the botes hav not lyned up in,

there iz a chants that OR coud be the faster bote. Not big, but not tiny.

And any mods thay ar making at this late staidje are (STM) mor lykly to diminish than to increess

any sutsh chants, becoz all the lo hanging froot will alreddy have been well and trolly plundered.

Becoz peepel lyk LE are notorius for demanding that "Sumthing be dun", thay seem to me lykly to

fall into the trap of generalz alwayz fyting the last battell. Last mode chayndje woz a caess in poynt.

#43 imnotasailer

imnotasailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:rooting

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

First leg's in: AB's thrash the Jappies again, and the Rugby Championship sealed for 2013.

Second leg in 11 hours...

what was the score?

#44 SloopJohnB

SloopJohnB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

29 - 15 FT

17 - 10 HT

#45 JJD

JJD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Interests:Sailing boxing adventure

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

My understanding iz OR bote 2 haz the daggerbord caess in a diff plaice fore & aft.

Given thay rebilt bote 1 at saem tym az bilding bote 2, not shore thay woud want to

Az for yore poynt <<The one thing you wouldnt be able to change during the AC - the hulls>>

There iz a rumor that they are grafting new, fuller bowz onto there bote 2 az we speek.

I dont no that thay have anything left in the wate budjet, tho . . . myt hav to trim sumthing off elsewheer.

IF (big if) troo . . . .

I honestly cant see that happening. That would be as desperate a change as ...................hhhmmmmmm maybe it would be the most desperate change in AC history? Fisher would know....

#46 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Interests:wtf is one warning points?

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

that'll be why their so called "2 boat testing" was a waste of time. they should have been testing dissimilar designs if they wanted to drive improvements. i guess that's why they were always trying to line up with lr and tnz? they'll be totally bbq'd on sunday. :)

#47 Marcog

Marcog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

very easy! starboard/port incident at the start or during the upwind leg....Oracle get a dsq for that race. Then they start the remaining races with new boats. It will be very difficult to prove that it was a volontary collision, so no chance to get a dsq for the entire series.

I hope that Larry's crew will be sportmen and avoid this type of strategy.

We have seen this happening in F1 it can happen in AC expecially as Oracle owner has already proven his unsportmanship attitude....

Oracle will win 9-7.

If OR does something like that there is nothing stopping the jury to DSQ Oracle and awarding points to ETNZ. I mean if the jury finds that adding a few millimeters here and a few kg there on a AC45 is gross misconduct, what would you say crushing another boat would be???

#48 Boomslangnz

Boomslangnz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

They are not going to purposely ram their boat into ETNZ purely because they aren't fast enough. Morally it is so wrong and anything could happen including possibly killing a person.

They are sailors on a yacht, they aren't murderous villans!

#49 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,325 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Just laughed my ass off.

#50 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Blown out today?

From the NWS:

SW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT...INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 KT BY LATE MORNING.

#51 NZL3481

NZL3481

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Just laughed my ass off.

Sums the commentary up completely!

#52 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

IF (big if) troo . . . .

I honestly cant see that happening. That would be as desperate a change as ...................hhhmmmmmm maybe it would be the most desperate change in AC history? Fisher would know....

I think it was NCS who said 10 new boatbuilders came to Oracle not to long ago. He seems like a pretty reliable source.

#53 marlowe

marlowe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Just laughed my ass off.

Sums the commentary up completely!

Kinda miss Tweedle-tucker-dee and Tweedle-andy-dum in tandem from the early days of the LV round robins farce.

"Great stuff" :)

#54 haggers

haggers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Yacht Racing

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

We might see a change today. The downwind will be longer and the upwind shorter with the Ebb.

14 Sa  0349  0653 3.1F  1011(Slack)  1224 2.1E  1552(Slack)  1841 2.4F  2133(Slack)

If Oracle have the lead at the bottom they won't need to short tack up the cone, but could extend after the Leeward gate (Towards City front) for better Ebb and sail up the middle of the course. The first 30% of leg three has been an issue. The Ebb should help them out a little.

Wait and see.

#55 Abraxas3

Abraxas3

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

very easy! starboard/port incident at the start or during the upwind leg....Oracle get a dsq for that race. Then they start the remaining races with new boats. It will be very difficult to prove that it was a volontary collision, so no chance to get a dsq for the entire series.

I hope that Larry's crew will be sportmen and avoid this type of strategy.

We have seen this happening in F1 it can happen in AC expecially as Oracle owner has already proven his unsportmanship attitude....

Oracle will win 9-7.

I don't think this is ever going to happen, but if a big collision did happen, remember that rudderangle, 10+ onboard tv cameras, soundrecording etc would document it all. Nobody should expect even OR to fall that low.

#56 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Okay locals..Probably most important question is what is the wind/tide doing tomorrow...I hear we will have ebb with a bit of breeze....local observations much appreciated..

Not the wind  Biggest question now is how much longer Larry will let Jimmy Spit spin the wheels. Two more losses, possibly even only one more, and he's off.

#57 bwana

bwana

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

We might see a change today. The downwind will be longer and the upwind shorter with the Ebb.

14 Sa  0349  0653 3.1F  1011(Slack)  1224 2.1E  1552(Slack)  1841 2.4F  2133(Slack)

If Oracle have the lead at the bottom they won't need to short tack up the cone, but could extend after the Leeward gate (Towards City front) for better Ebb and sail up the middle of the course. The first 30% of leg three has been an issue. The Ebb should help them out a little.

Wait and see.

haggers, are you back in sf?

#58 haggers

haggers

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Yacht Racing

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

Wait and see.

haggers, are you back in sf?

Copy - Since Feb -

#59 scarecow

scarecow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Getting home.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Predicting 28 knot gusts now. Might re-set the wake-up call.

#60 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

GD figures if OR changes bows they'd have to shave 15-18kg from elsewhere.

One way might be to go with the shorter (and presumably lighter) sprit that we saw on one occasion; since it can't fly a Zero they could also remove a winch. If we see that obvious change then it could be the early tipoff.

But I'm pretty skeptical they will have done surgery that big in just 36 hours; and skeptical they have other bows even if they wanted to.

#61 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

I don't think its the bows, the speed difference is elsewhere, maybe the LET and the foil package, somewhat the rocker in the hulls.

Whacking the bows off for another set is not going to make that big a change.

Remember the new rudder in VLC in '07? Better in the computer but not on the water with no time to test and adjust.

Has anybody been able to make a direct comparison of the OR foils to ETNZ's? I think you would find more there than in the bows.

#62 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Agreed, foil changes are far more likely.

Some nice-looking stats here at first glance:

http://www.cupinfo.c...stats/index.php

#63 Enzedel 92

Enzedel 92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

They should have been modding boat 1 after race 1

#64 Abraxas3

Abraxas3

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

^ They can't change boat without unrepairable damage. So a change just to get another boat wouldn't be allowed.

#65 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

This time I just hear whingey yanks upset because the Kiwis have stolen their exceptional ism. USA USa not.

Name one, if you can.

WetHog

#66 DayTripper

DayTripper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

IF (big if) troo . . . .

Akordeeng to Dalton in his intervewe, the plan is tu graughed sexions of the recced Aotearoa intu boat 1, if thear is a catastroffic insidint. Tu dais are bujitid for this. Seams this wood be tu tayk accownt of the different foyle and rudder locayshins.

#67 nz65

nz65

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

maybe Oracle needs some of these

pies-600.jpg

#68 WhiteLightnin'

WhiteLightnin'

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts
  • Interests:Seriously, when was the last time you read the Constitution? Bill of Rights?

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

See you in Auckland.

I agree that the forums are much better this time around. Last time I really do think there were some fully paid by the post Alinghi trolls who's only job was to muddy the waters and make the whole forum so unbearable that we would all go away.

I have not been very active or vocal in the Forums this cycle for similar reasons. Too many "paid" TNZ supporters/abusers spewing BS about how "Larry screwed this up" "Coutts is a *%$#@ (insert expletive here)" USA sucks because of this or that etc etc.

Congrats to TNZ for or well run, awesome sailed, AC campaign. Looking forward to seeing what the NZL'ders can do to keep it interesting.

WL

PS- Actually Oracle has been sandbaggin for the last week and now that they have lulled TNZ into a false sense of security are going to take their foot off the brake and blow the competion off the water! :P

#69 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

See you in Auckland.

I have not been very active or vocal in the Forums this cycle for similar reasons. Too many "paid" TNZ supporters/abusers spewing BS about how "Larry screwed this up" "Coutts is a *%$#@ (insert expletive here)" USA sucks because of this or that etc etc.

Congrats to TNZ for or well run, awesome sailed, AC campaign. Looking forward to seeing what the NZL'ders can do to keep it interesting.

WL

PS- Actually Oracle has been sandbaggin for the last week and now that they have lulled TNZ into a false sense of security are going to take their foot off the brake and blow the competion off the water! :P

Then they have me fooled too!  :blink:

Maybe they just borrowed a restrictor plate from NASCAR and now they will remove it. Especially since DB & GA have been rubbin' and racin'. (in their own words) They get on the upwind leg and have been rubbin' OR out of the way.

#70 Savoyard

Savoyard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive,sailing,boat building,reading.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Not thinking of further improvements to rudder elevators then Stingers?

#71 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

They sure as hell won't be using the big, slow, over-sized safety-sized ones ;)

I doubt that ETNZ is either, which would be the most logical explanation for why they really dragged that issue through the mud for 6+ weeks.

#72 Alinghi4ever

Alinghi4ever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Ainslie is staying onboard OTUSA for Races 8 & 9.

#73 generative.design

generative.design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Uh oh.. ebb tide equals high potential for breakage. OR better not do anything funny to their hulls before going out today!

#74 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

http://instagram.com/p/eP1KAzAcnW/

c667c4a21d5911e3852a22000a9e0709_7.jpg

jspithill

36 minutes ago

Best part of the day #wolfpack #redenergy

#75 generative.design

generative.design

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

Cute kids!

Strong winds with that ebb tide too..

https://twitter.com/...912195888689154

#76 Savoyard

Savoyard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive,sailing,boat building,reading.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

They sure as hell won't be using the big, slow, over-sized safety-sized ones ;)

I doubt that ETNZ is either, which would be the most logical explanation for why they really dragged that issue through the mud for 6+ weeks.

Odd how differently we remember things. I thought you were critical of ETNZ for not agreeing with IM that larger elevators be mandated. Now you don't like them either it seems.  As for dragging the issue through the mud, I certainly have recollections of you doing it endlessly and repetitively, I thought ETNZ just said NO and referred IM's attempted mandate to the IJ. Anyway, I am glad that no one's feet got hurt by flying bullets on either team.

#77 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Neither team wanted the damn things. But it was a sensible Safety measure and for that reason I supported it.

Unfortunately, most all of the rabid Kiwis here and in NZ media claimed that the issue was symbolic of a lopsided deck, IM was corrupt, blah blah blah blah bah. Ruddergate was Ridiculous, as was fighting it tooth and nail.

#78 street_Gang

street_Gang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

So whilst we are waiting for racing to begin, a quick Trivia question;

Which one Design boat have Dean Barker, Jimmy Spithill, and Ben Ainslie all raced in (helming), but never raced against each other, and also never won in ? 

#79 Monster Mash

Monster Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Does OR have fuller volumn fwd hulls today?

Bueler?

#80 street_Gang

street_Gang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

Which one Design boat have Dean Barker, Jimmy Spithill, and Ben Ainslie all raced in (helming), but never raced against each other, and also never won in ? 

Correction : Ben won once

#81 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

youtube link for today please?

#82 street_Gang

street_Gang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=M11shiFtGO0

#83 Nodrog

Nodrog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Star?

#84 Pitbull

Pitbull

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:All things sailing:)

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Justa minor grumble, but what happened to the days when sponsors would not interrupt the play...I mean the race is only ~20min,long and to go to commercial shortly after they round the leeward mark is maddening...yes i know I should be grateful we have the coverage we do...bit still.....run commercials all during the break or something... i dunno........just my .02$ 

#85 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

It'll be on NBCSN, right after Bass Fishing for the US.

The American designed Morelli and Melvin boat may very well just have to much of an advantage for Oracle to overcome. After all the talk of foils and waterline, it seems as though rocker will take the cup.

I just can't think of a way to get Oracle's bows up without seriously increasing drag, but i also thought Oracle would have had the advantage upwind for months leading up to this. So apparently, suprising to none, there are far smarter folks than I working towards solutions. tick..tock.. tick... tock with these craft it seem even minor adjustments could be enough to invite utter disaster.

Well Spithil i believe lost to Sir Ben on a Laser before Big Ben went to the Finn. Maybe the Finn. DB raced them and obviously BA, dunno about Spitthill.

#86 Evan Stufflebeam

Evan Stufflebeam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Attached File  AllIsLostJS.jpeg   536K   77 downloads

#87 street_Gang

street_Gang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Star?

Sorry no

It's bigger than a Star

#88 klaxon

klaxon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

I am conserned that, if tomorrow bringz a new set of condishuns the botes hav not lyned up in,
there iz a chants that OR coud be the faster bote. Not big, but not tiny.

And any mods thay ar making at this late staidje are (STM) mor lykly to diminish than to increess
any sutsh chants, becoz all the lo hanging froot will alreddy have been well and trolly plundered.

Becoz peepel lyk LE are notorius for demanding that "Sumthing be dun", thay seem to me lykly to
fall into the trap of generalz alwayz fyting the last battell. Last mode chayndje woz a caess in poynt.

Never send a hair dresser to do your job ;)

#89 Barnyb

Barnyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

Are we having racing today? 

I am off to the squadron or maybe I should go back to bed?

#90 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

GD figures if OR changes bows they'd have to shave 15-18kg from elsewhere.

One way might be to go with the shorter (and presumably lighter) sprit that we saw on one occasion; since it can't fly a Zero they could also remove a winch. If we see that obvious change then it could be the early tipoff.

But I'm pretty skeptical they will have done surgery that big in just 36 hours; and skeptical they have other bows even if they wanted to.

maybe they should swap out the b2 bows for the b1 bows. should see a difference there? maybe with the decals? :D

#91 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well, its on TSN1 in Vancouver as, " Americas Cup World Series"    :ph34r: 

#92 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

Can anyone see the OR boat yet?

Do they have the short sprit configuration?

#93 kitchensink

kitchensink

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

UPDATE: 1150 hours

At his morning briefing, Regatta Director Iain Murray said that both ORACLE TEAM USA and Emirates Team New Zealand had been issued new rating certificates. Although he didn’t elaborate on the extent of the modifications, one is very clear on the defender’s yacht: a new, shorter bowsprit (see picture).

http://www.americasc...hill-eyes-upset

#94 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

NBC Sports Network on now, let's see what we get today...............................................

#95 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

they moved a couple of deck chairs as well :D

#96 PeeToLee

PeeToLee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Flying, Motorsports, Baseball, NFL Football

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Oh, so Oracle have finally named their boat?   :)

#97 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Oh, so Oracle have finally named their boat?   :)

have they got an onboard band?

#98 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Neither team wanted the damn things. But it was a sensible Safety measure and for that reason I supported it.

Unfortunately, most all of the rabid Kiwis here and in NZ media claimed that the issue was symbolic of a lopsided deck, IM was corrupt, blah blah blah blah bah. Ruddergate was Ridiculous, as was fighting it tooth and nail.

Hindsight's a bitch. That first attempt to cheat by illegally changing the Class Rules was a harbinger of subsequent proven cheating. Once a cheat....

#99 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts
  • Interests:The basic principle of sportsmanship and fair play, friendly competition ...

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

So I'm in Boulder Colorado USA ... perhaps you've heard of it ... "biblical" rain ... over 18" in some reports ... flooding ... made BBC world news feed ...

I'm lucky no leaks and no flooding on my block ... I have power and internet ... so what does this have to do with Races 3rd and 2nd from last?

The local NBC station is broadcasting the BMW Golf chumpionship.

Feck ... I get to watch the video with the AC app on my tablet and the virtual eye thing on my phone ... How the hell are we supposed to drum up interest for a Buffalo sailing team at CU if the local NBC station won't even broadcast the damn race ... its killing sailing in the US ... just killing it ...

:-)

#100 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

Stubby....

GMR11837-780x520.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users