http://www.independe...nd-8818107.html

#2 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

If they can turn this radio communication on or off at any time then how does anyone know when it's being used?

Honest question, think i saw it addressed deep in the AC RRS somewhere.

#3 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

It's pretty evident that ETNZ don't need a big bag of dirty tricks they use to win.

It was Oracle that got torn a new one for not telling the truth to the IJ.

You just knew that TE would start chucking his toys.

I am told they also claimed the official spectator boat was too close.

If they gag that guy GGYC could come out the other side of this with their reputation intact.

If he gets a bit of momentum they'll just look like losers.

#4 Gutterblack

Gutterblack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

3-3.jpg

#5 the paradox of thrift

the paradox of thrift

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Interests:I like sailing

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

If they can turn this radio communication on or off at any time then how does anyone know when it's being used?

When I go offshore how does anyone know if I'm on the phone getting advice from ashore?

If the sailing instructions say I can only use publically accessible information but I use a subscription weather service who knows?

It's a common question that comes up quite regularly in the long format.

It is an area that relies on the integrity of competitors.

It would be a bold move to use outside assistance when everything you say and do is recorded.

I'd be pissed if someone suggested that I cheated during races and I'd insist they substantiate their statement or apologise.

#6 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:55 PM

It would be a bold move to use outside assistance when everything you say and do is recorded.
Good point, conversations to people off the boat would likely be obvious.

#7 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

What the hell is wrong with this guy?

#8 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

Tom Ehman has a long history of being at the centre of America’s Cup intrigue. He was at the heart of the court case which led to the 1988 mismatch between Conner’s catamaran and the New Zealand big boat. More recently he was also involved in the Oracle trespassing acusatitions against ETNZ. in the AC45 arena.

Is TE the shock jock of AC law ??

#9 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

He makes SWS appear rational!

#10 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts
  • Interests:The basic principle of sportsmanship and fair play, friendly competition ...

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

Desperation from Tom Ehman

Not surprising at all.

#11 Lat35sowth

Lat35sowth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Sea ,Sun,Sports

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

Not all human brains operate correctly ...sometimes the wires get a little crossed and there is an occasional short circuit...

#12 NorthKorean

NorthKorean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

From the same pool of filth that Dennis Connor is from so no surprise.

There are some humans who walk amongst us who are mere dog turds.

#13 ianz

ianz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Boats (sailing and kayak varieties)

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

If so, it's a valid question to be asked of both teams, not just ETNZ. From the article:

Race director Iain Murray said he had conducted an inquiry about communications and had sought clarification. He said the communications systems were available to both teams, that they had to be switched off before the start of a race, and could only be switched on again after a race was finished.

“We don’t believe they have been cheating at all,” said Murray.

#14 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

Fwiw, answering my own question; what I was thinking it may relate to is the clauses at

41 OUTSIDE HELP

http://noticeboard.a...tion-v-1.20.pdf

#15 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

I don't suppose the tv would have picked up on it, surprising as you constantly rave about the 'on boat comms'
As you don't sail and are a rabid supporter of ehmans team, you wouldn't know anything about the code of ethics most sailors have when racing...
No surprise you are the first one to support your 'insider snake oil salesman'...
How was the team gear he supplied this year?

#16 NZL4EVER

NZL4EVER

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit, Running, V8 Supercars, America's Cup

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

Yawn

#17 mili

mili

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

Why blame the dogs?

#18 MrSurly

MrSurly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:39 AM

This seems baseless too me. I'm surprised that there has not been a protest over TNZ running a 3 boat campaign. After the LV finals, TNZ gave foils to LR to use for two boat testing. Seems to cross a line somehow.

#19 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:40 AM

Not surprising at all.

failed with the IJ

so he's gone to the media

every cycle 

your respect for some people grows

but for others falls

imho he's preparing his position next to eb

and the lowest level of ac hell

#20 bob202

bob202

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

How sad... wasn't someone also claiming Oracle were looking back to their chase boat during an upwind leg last week occasion during races to receive hand signals from whoever was there with the latest incoming wind info or something?

#21 brian weslake

brian weslake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

Ehman has a lot to lose if Larry loses the cup, the sugar daddy he has milked for years will lose interest in the AC and GGYC, and no other team in the AC would voluntarily choose to be associated with Ehman.

He's desperate, just as he was with the trespassing protest, to the point that he is an embarrassment to Oracle. It's time he STFU.

#22 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

This is just further proof of why OR were not fit to race or at least should have had 4 races taken off & not 2, by the IJ.

#23 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts
  • Interests:The basic principle of sportsmanship and fair play, friendly competition ...

Ehman has a lot to lose if Larry loses the cup, the sugar daddy he has milked for years will lose interest in the AC and GGYC, and no other team in the AC would voluntarily choose to be associated with Ehman.

He's desperate, just as he was with the trespassing protest, to the point that he is an embarrassment to Oracle. It's time he STFU.

Nailed it

#24 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Not surprising at all.

failed with the IJ

so he's gone to the media
If you read the actual article, it clearly states " No protest had been lodged with the international jury."

There's little in any of it for facts and this is not even a quote but it's apparently at the heart of whatever TE raised to IM:

"Tom Ehman, vice commodore of the club and director of external affairs for the Americas Cup Event Authority said that the New Zealanders had a system of radio communication between the support boat and the New Zealand tactician Ray Davies which the Oracle team does not have."

My honest question remains: How does anyone know if it's turned on; know if or when RD has 'eagle eyes'? Is there really no way of knowing for certain? Does it come down to 'integrity'?

#25 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:57 AM

OK  so if spinray is in the "pics or it never happened mode" ... then we all know that this epic  new TE affair, is set to be the main focus until the races finish & the legal process begins.

#26 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

^ Nope, looks like TE's question only went to IM.
'Pics or it didn't happen' is right, there's nothing in that article to prove that RD actually is receiving off-yacht communications. Without anything, all that TE can ask is a negative, 'How do we know they aren't using the system.'

#27 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

A better spin would be...

GGYC attempts to upsurp NYC, as the king defence litigator, as defender hopes fade with yet another loss to ETNZ on the AC34 racetrack... http://www.independe...nd-8818107.html

#28 mo fuzz

mo fuzz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:11 AM

My guess is Tom is just stirring the pot to create some scandal/controversy, which has been lacking since the finals started.

Besides, would the AC be without it?

Its for the benefit of the punters and to get people to start threads like this one.  :lol:

#29 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

My guess is Tom is just stirring the pot to create some scandal/controversy, which has been lacking since the finals started.

Besides, would the AC be without it?

Its for the benefit of the punters and to get people to start threads like this one.  :lol:

TE was overheard saying... We will fight them in the Jury Room, We will fight them in the Courts, We will fight them with the paper chases!

A cub reporter in attendence asked "What about fighting them on the race track" and above the rooms loud raucous sniggering laughter was firmly told...

"Say WhaT???"

#30 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

(TE)"said that the New Zealanders had a system of radio communication between the support boat and the New Zealand tactician Ray Davies which the Oracle team does not have."

I wonder how OR knows this? Seems like something that would be closely held by ETNZ.

#31 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:29 AM

'Pics or it didn't happen' is right, there's nothing in that article to prove that RD actually is receiving off-yacht communications. Without anything, all that TE can ask is a negative, 'How do we know they aren't using the system.'

In a reference to a famous accusation made by Stars and Stripes skipper Dennis Conner against the New Zealanders in 1986 in Fremantle, Ehman said “why would you if you didn’t want to”. Conner had asked why the New Zealanders would have built their 12-metre yacht in fibreglass (when all the others were being built in aluminium) if they didn’t want to cheat. Asked if he knew what he was saying, Ehman replied: “Yes.”

Most events that allow communication also require that the teams or coaches report the frequencies they will use. The RC needs to know about any conflicts and it provides the RO with a way to contact a coach if needed. It is a very simple matter to monitor that frequency and not any usage during the race. It is dead simple to know if the radio was used during racing. 

If TE had proof he would be filing with the IJ. Calling TNZ cheaters is crass.

#32 8Y8

8Y8

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

Tom E seems to have learned the fine art of the TROLL

internet-troll-information-1938395699921

#33 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Was TE a witness in the kingpost debacle?

Kind of funny that DDR ends up protecting TE from involvement by being completely without credibility in the jury room.

And then TE follows DDR down the same path.

This cup was lost by the idiots at the top!

GGyc should call TE to the carpet!

Impeachment is the best option.

Or GGyc becomes complicit.

#34 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

"Tom Ehman, vice commodore of the club and director of external affairs for the Americas Cup Event Authority said that the New Zealanders had a system of radio communication between the support boat and the New Zealand tactician Ray Davies wherein they are discussing logistics surrounding the fully-subsidized piss-up for anarchists at Golden Gate Yacht Club."

"As vice commodore of the club and director of external affairs for the Americas Cup Event Authority Mr. Ehman considers it is his duty to lay on a boisterous event for anarchists who abandoned work places, families and other obligations in all parts of the world to come to San Francisco to witness the evisceration of Comrade Ellison and his gold medal sailing team". 

"Details are currently withheld because, being a working-mans yacht club, Golden Gate does not have adequate storage facilities for umbrellas or taniwha. While the chances of rain are remote,  leading anarchists are prone to take taniwha to free piss-ups."    

#35 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

>In a reference to a famous accusation made by Stars and Stripes skipper Dennis Conner against the New Zealanders in 1986 in Fremantle, Ehman said “why would you if you didn’t want to”. Conner had asked why the New Zealanders would have built their 12-metre yacht in fibreglass (when all the others were being built in aluminium) if they didn’t want to cheat. Asked if he knew what he was saying, Ehman replied: “Yes.”

Most events that allow communication also require that the teams or coaches report the frequencies they will use. The RC needs to know about any conflicts and it provides the RO with a way to contact a coach if needed. It is a very simple matter to monitor that frequency and not any usage during the race. It is dead simple to know if the radio was used during racing. 

If TE had proof he would be filing with the IJ. Calling TNZ cheaters is crass.

If he had any proof, then he would already have ETNZ in front of the jury.

If ETNZ were doing this, they deserve to forfeit the match, but lets be honest: who is more credible? ETNZ or Ehman.

Rather than doing that, he is trying to blacken the name of the only team NOT found guilty of cheating through rumour and innuendo.

The guy is an utter disgrace and should be kept as far away from any sporting endeavour as possible.

#36 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:33 AM

The show must go on

clown.jpg

#37 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

your slow 

I posted this 1 1/2 hours before you started new thread  - on whats wrong with oracakle thread - your welcome 

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM

snapback.png

America's Cup: Ehman raises question of radio communication in ...The IndependentA veiled accusation of cheating has been made against the New Zealand challenger for theAmerica's Cup by a senior member of event organiser and the ...

Ehman’s complaint was sent in writing to the New Zealand rules adviser, Russell Green, who replied that the team had not been cheating in any way and specifically not in employing outside assistance. No protest had been lodged with the international jury.

#38 bob202

bob202

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

This looks basically like Tom Ehman acting as a proxy of Oracle Racing here. It's been done deliberately via him so it can be made to look as if it didn't come from Oracle directly, which it most likely did*, because that would attract nasty backlash and negative PR.

(*Seriously, who is in a better position to view the on-boat goings-on during racing - OR and their chase boat people, or Ehman who is watching it on TV?)

#39 SIR CLEAN

SIR CLEAN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:Integrity.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

And you would be one of them.

Have you ever put yourself on the line for your country - team - or beliefs and then been in a situation where you had to make a big call, or defend your position.

Wankers like you, make piss poor statements about people without knowing the full story or ever being in a situation that is difficult.

The biggest decisions wankers like you make is weather to get out of bed.

Dennis Conner has forgotten more than you will ever know about decision making and big calls and He has put team and country ahead of his own image on many occasion. And ...

He never left his country and slutted around the world like some.

Don,t bag DC when you are a mere pimple on the arsehole of life North Korea!...

Unless you can back it up and give examples of your life and experiences where you had to make a big call....other than wiping your own arse.... which you probably failed at. Then don't comment on people you don't know and situations you don't understand.

#40 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,750 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

If he had any proof, then he would already have ETNZ in front of the jury.
If ETNZ were doing this, they deserve to forfeit the match, but lets be honest: who is more credible? ETNZ or Ehman.

Agree, there is no proof the radio is getting turned on. The closest suggestion that he has it is in this article line:

Asked if he knew what he was saying, Ehman replied: "Yes."

#41 kenergy

kenergy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:47 AM

Have you ever put yourself on the line for your country - team - or beliefs and then been in a situation where you had to make a big call, or defend your position.

Wankers like you, make piss poor statements about people without knowing the full story or ever being in a situation that is difficult.

Dennis Conner has forgotten more than you will ever know about decision making and big calls and He has put team and country ahead of his own image on many occasion. And ...

Unless you can back it up and give examples of your life and experiences where you had to make a big call....other than wiping your own arse.... which you probably failed at. Then don't comment on people you don't know and situations you don't understand.

He he he, the battle of the trolls 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=X_cy4fricLU

#42 SIR CLEAN

SIR CLEAN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:52 AM

If this was true then it would be picked up by any dude with a $300 scanner working the frequencies designated for comms.

TE is no fool. What he is doing is trying to grab ETNZ,s attention away from the ball.

Great strategy employed by a team desperate to upset a team with a fast boat.

But really is just a big nothing... unless ETNZ fall for it?

#43 ezyb

ezyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

OR should be careful how far they push this given (based on what I've heard from multiple well-connected sources) the same could be asked about OR's foil control system.

#44 gliderguider

gliderguider

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Have owned a laser, but these days I really only sail in the sky.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

While I think the accusation is ludicrous, we are technically a heck of a long way past knowing a frequency being sufficient to monitor radio transmissions. Once you start using spread-spectrum techniques with a frequency-hopping schedule synchronized between the transmitter and receiver but unknown to 3rd parties, it's basically impossible to monitor or even detect. Especially if it's one-way to the boat, so the equipment on the boat never transmits. And then add encryption onto that.

#45 snaerk

snaerk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:sea and snow and ice

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

Who iz more credibel ? Ehman or . . . Stingray ? #

I cannot now look at sumthing ascribed to eether wun without feeling the same faynt

sensayshun of mownting norzeea, and this thred iz, for me, the last stror.

#

or woud that be like asking "whitsh iz mor helthy ? Arsenick or Syanide ?

or - (and this only just poppt into my hed) :

iz it lyk asking "whitsh iz mor helthy ? Arsenick or Arsenick ?")

#46 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

While I think the accusation is ludicrous, we are technically a heck of a long way past knowing a frequency being sufficient to monitor radio transmissions. Once you start using spread-spectrum techniques with a frequency-hopping schedule synchronized between the transmitter and receiver but unknown to 3rd parties, it's basically impossible to monitor or even detect. Especially if it's one-way to the boat, so the equipment on the boat never transmits. And then add encryption onto that.

Whilst that might be true, there are cameras trained on the teams the whole time.

#47 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

Any such equipment found during the regatta would be a DSQ. Part of the requirement to report/register all comms with the RC is so the RC can monitor usage. If there was a suspicion and the RC found equipment as you describe your sailors just lost some races with DSQs.

Just to avoid the possibility of what you describe I would hope that the equipment on the boats is monitored on a daily basis. The system in question seems to be available to both teams if I read IM's statement correctly.

#48 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:22 AM

I can assure you, as can your own guys at Waihopai, that what you claim is utter and complete bullshit.

#49 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:23 AM

Any such equipment found during the regatta would be a DSQ. Part of the requirement to report/register all comms with the RC is so the RC can monitor usage. If there was a suspicion and the RC found equipment as you describe your sailors just lost some races with DSQs.

Just to avoid the possibility of what you describe I would hope that the equipment on the boats is monitored on a daily basis. The system in question seems to be available to both teams if I read IM's statement correctly.

Actually Randy, I have to disagree with you.

Any team (including ETNZ) engaging in this sort of activity should not lose some races but rather be DSQ'ed from the whole damned event.

#50 kenergy

kenergy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:25 AM

Actually Randy, I have to disagree with you.

Any team (including ETNZ) engaging in this sort of activity should not lose some races but rather be DSQ'ed from the whole damned event.

Absolutely agree. which is why I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to try it.

#51 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,702 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:27 AM

No protest, end of the story, let's move on.

#52 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:36 AM

No protest, end of the story, let's move on.

How can we move on until a SF media publication makes that official ?

Until then it is game on with the lingering doubts that cloud this stormy contest on San Frans waters.

Gotta sell those papers somehow and a news cycle is at least 24 hours... or until the next race and resultant press releases from those jokers at GGYC.

#53 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

Maybe somebody heard something during a race, and TE asked the ETNZ guy about it. If it were me I would also note it to the RD and let them see if there is anything to it, which sounds like the case here.

IM found nothing and the matter is over.

#54 NorthKorean

NorthKorean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Hey tosspot, its wether not weather.
Perhaps you should get an edumacation instead of trolling forums noobzilla

#55 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:49 AM

Maybe somebody heard something during a race, and TE asked the ETNZ guy about it. If it were me I would also note it to the RD and let them see if there is anything to it, which sounds like the case here.

If TE knew that why would he mention the radio to the press at all? Why would he say anything to the press until he had an answer out of IM? Smacks of low class cheap shot to me. 

#56 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,875 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:50 AM

Hey Kim Sung Il, learn how to spell in English before you start correcting people. Whether.

#57 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

If TE knew that why would he mention the radio to the press at all? Why would he say anything to the press until he had an answer out of IM? Smacks of low class cheap shot to me. 

yup - exactly.

#58 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

Somebody heard about it, asked a question, and he answered it? Did he reach-out to the press?

#59 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

Hey Kim Sung Il, learn how to spell in English before you start correcting people. Whether.

Colourful debate!

#60 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

Somebody heard about it, asked a question, and he answered it? Did he reach-out to the press?

Tom Ehman has a long history of being at the centre of America’s Cup intrigue. He was at the heart of the court case

Maybe letting go of AC33 tactics is a big ask ?

#61 SIR CLEAN

SIR CLEAN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hey tosspot, its wether not weather.
Perhaps you should get an edumacation instead of trolling forums noobzilla

Yip as predicted! No logical or intellectual reply. Just expletives and play the spelling card to hide any understanding of the discussion.

You reply reflects your intelligence

#62 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:58 AM

^^ RHough This is new to me so I am asking questions, not sure of the background on this one.

I don't think that we would hear of everything that the teams may ask of IM.

#63 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hey, Ehman. Put up...or STFU.

#64 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

This is said without an agenda. Please explain the following in the abandoned race on Saturday (from memory):

• RC abandons race due to wind limit just after the bottom mark
  • RC tries to call TNZ on radio - assume this is the radio the tactician has - I think it may be a handheld VHF - no answer or change on board - TV shows them oblivious to the radio calls
  • After several tries RC asks 'Kiwi Chase' (or was it 'Kiwi Support') to contact the boat
  • Very shortly afterwards Kiwis take foot off the gas and abandon the race (after crossing Oracle nicely)

Did they hear the call from the RC and decide to keep going anyway (a valid move)? Or did the support boat communicate to them via the 'crew radio'? Or did they come along side and make funny radio gestures?

#65 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:37 AM

This is said without an agenda. Please explain the following in the abandoned race on Saturday (from memory):

• RC tries to call TNZ on radio - assume this is the radio the tactician has - I think it may be a handheld VHF - no answer or change on board - TV shows them oblivious to the radio calls
  • After several tries RC asks 'Kiwi Chase' (or was it 'Kiwi Support') to contact the boat
  • Very shortly afterwards Kiwis take foot off the gas and abandon the race (after crossing Oracle nicely)

Did they hear the call from the RC and decide to keep going anyway (a valid move)? Or did the support boat communicate to them via the 'crew radio'? Or did they come along side and make funny radio gestures?

The RC contacted both boats, and eventually got a reply from both boats. Was on the PA, at Marina Green.

#66 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:00 AM

The RC contacted both boats, and eventually got a reply from both boats. Was on the PA, at Marina Green.

That is not the way it looked on youtube. Have a look at the video http://www.youtube.c...ywOkRzYl#t=5404

Emirites chase says "I will speak to them on the comms now"

#67 Nutta

Nutta

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:Technology, motorsport, fishing, photography, boats and all things that float.

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

When ETNZ dug their bows in and lost guys overboard they were radioing to see if they were ok. I believe it was IM and other officials that replied not the ETNZ support folk. Radios were not on?

#68 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

It has been my experience that many boats that don't expect external contact don't have their radios on. It looks to me that TNZ had their internal comm channel active and not the RC channel. In fact it is likely that they never changed from their team working channel from before the race.

When the RC contacts the TNZ support boat the logical thing to try is to call the boat on the last active channel. Failing that you drive up and do a derka derka mohammed jihad to get the boats attention and get them to switch channel to talk to the RC

I don't see anything out of line here.

#69 Rennmaus

Rennmaus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,756 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:34 AM

(TE)"said that the New Zealanders had a system of radio communication between the support boat and the New Zealand tactician Ray Davies which the Oracle team does not have."

I wonder how OR knows this? Seems like something that would be closely held by ETNZ.

IMO it's understandable that the Oracle team has no comms system between the ETNZ support boat and Ray Davies. WTF is the issue?  ;)

#70 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

ETNZ Chase1 is on receive only. In the near-pp when ETNZ lost 2 men men overboard, they had to call Harold Bennet to route message to Chase1.

The only relevant issue here is there is one team proven to have cheated, and it's not ETNZ.

#71 bob202

bob202

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:37 AM

:D  :D  love how people can see a situation, obfuscate the reality to suit the version of the story they're trying to tell.

ETNZ and Or were sailing at 30 knots, or close to it. Have you heard how loud it is on deck on those boats when they're going that fast? The guys on board could barely hear anything as was demonstrated perfectly just the other day when Ben Ainslie was interviewed while the boat was foiling after a race. He was concentrating on the interview and could barely even hear what was being asked. Now, imagine how easy it would be to miss an initial hail when you're talking to the crew and grinding.

Regardless, the video shows ETNZ being hailed and the long wait for an acknowledgement... by your logic Oracle did the same since we don't hear their correspondence either. The boats eventually both abandon the race within a very short time-span difference.

#72 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

ETNZ Chase1 is on receive only. In the near-pp when ETNZ lost 2 men men overboard, they had to call Harold Bennet to route message to Chase1.

The only relevant issue here is there is one team proven to have cheated, and it's not ETNZ.

A ha! So you admit TNZ is cheating, it's just not proved yet!

:ph34r:

#73 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

:D  :D  love how people can see a situation, obfuscate the reality to suit the version of the story they're trying to tell.

ETNZ and Or were sailing at 30 knots, or close to it. Have you heard how loud it is on deck on those boats when they're going that fast? The guys on board could barely hear anything as was demonstrated perfectly just the other day when Ben Ainslie was interviewed while the boat was foiling after a race. He was concentrating on the interview and could barely even hear what was being asked. Now, imagine how easy it would be to miss an initial hail when you're talking to the crew and grinding.

Ummm Bob, think you misundertood the post. Can you please go and have a look at the youtube footage (http://www.youtube.c...ywOkRzYl#t=5404). It pretty clearly shows the support boat telling the RC that they will call the ETNZ on the internal comms. That is all I am basing these posts on.

I have not read the protocol, but based on this thread (!) it appears that any communication systems between the support team and the boat needs to be switched off for the race.

I would suggest it is very very difficult to hear a handheld VHF in those conditions (and not sure if RD was even holding it). But quite easy to hear (I imagine) on the internal comms mounted inside their helmets.

I really don't care how long it took them to answer the radio call from the RC - it would be a very low priority. My point is that it was interesting that the support boat relayed a message from the RC to the boat.

#74 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

From the same article

#75 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:08 AM

From the same article

So do the kiwis pay him to say that or does he get paid by all compeditors equally ?

#76 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

grasping at straws, shot in the dark, downright offensive...I'm sure Dennis Conner felt the same way when NZ made a similar (exact?) claim.

If entirely BS, no problem, just a low road taken by a known douchebag.

If true, DSQ and Oracle will be one race away.

Oracle did immediately acknowledge that call on the water, then kept going. ENTZ did ignore the fuck out of it until their support boat talked to them doesn't really mean anything in itself nor does chatter on the boat unless they really lost their damn minds. I seriously doubt ENTZ was cheating, with the regatta lead especially.

No way they are using the handheld VHF this isn't a beer can race, seriously? Please tell me they aren't!

One can buy motorcyclist intended comms for a couple hundred bucks, that boat isn't louder than a Harley going eighty.

More likely in my completely uneducated opinion, ENTZ switched off comms when the race was called, prior to responding.

#77 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:09 AM

Ummm Bob, think you misundertood the post. Can you please go and have a look at the youtube footage (http://www.youtube.c...ywOkRzYl#t=5404). It pretty clearly shows the support boat telling the RC that they will call the ETNZ on the internal comms. That is all I am basing these posts on.

I have not read the protocol, but based on this thread (!) it appears that any communication systems between the support team and the boat needs to be switched off for the race.

I would suggest it is very very difficult to hear a handheld VHF in those conditions (and not sure if RD was even holding it). But quite easy to hear (I imagine) on the internal comms mounted inside their helmets.

I really don't care how long it took them to answer the radio call from the RC - it would be a very low priority. My point is that it was interesting that the support boat relayed a message from the RC to the boat.

race was already abandoned

#78 kiwi_jon

kiwi_jon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

Maybe you should take the time to read the Protocol, the RRSAC and check out the Safety Rules for AC34 that were adopted after the Artemis crash.

3.8. One Way Communications: One-way communications permitted from AC72
yacht to chase boat during all sailing and racing operations.

i.e the chase boat can be in 'receive mode' and not transmit.

If ORTUSA are complaining about TNZ having a compliant Safety System then maybe ORTUSA are not in compliance with the Safety Rules.

By the way the race had already been abandoned when the RC contacted the TNZ chase boat to relay the message.

Back in August in the LV final against LR TNZ had an issue where they lost all hydraulics and were drifting towards the Golden Gate Bridge. The AC72 tried to contact the TNZ chase boat but they did not respond and TNZ relayed a message via the RC to the chase boat and shore crew climbed on the boat and replaced the battery. TNZ were DSQed and the RC filed a procedural protest  http://noticeboard.a...11/08/JN100.pdf

From that protest

10. RG submitted in mitigation that ETNZ suffered a sudden failure of all hydraulic
systems on the approach to the windward mark. Dean Barker (skipper of the
ETNZ AC72) immediately called the ETNZ chase boat. He received no response, as the chase boat
was deliberately on ‘receive only’.
He then made
an emergency call to Assistant Principal Race Officer Harold Bennett.

#79 nixon

nixon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

Maybe you should take the time to read the Protocol, the RRSAC and check out the Safety Rules for AC34 that were adopted after the Artemis crash.

>3.8. One Way Communications: One-way communications permitted from AC72
yacht to chase boat during all sailing and racing operations.

i.e the chase boat can be in 'receive mode' and not transmit.

If ORTUSA are complaining about TNZ having a compliant Safety System then maybe ORTUSA are not in compliance with the Safety Rules.

By the way the race had already been abandoned when the RC contacted the TNZ chase boat to relay the message.

Back in August in the LV final against LR TNZ had an issue where they lost all hydraulics and were drifting towards the Golden Gate Bridge. The AC72 tried to contact the TNZ chase boat but they did not respond and TNZ relayed a message via the RC to the chase boat and shore crew climbed on the boat and replaced the battery. TNZ were DSQed and the RC filed a procedural protest  http://noticeboard.a...11/08/JN100.pdf

From that protest

10. RG submitted in mitigation that ETNZ suffered a sudden failure of all hydraulic
systems on the approach to the windward mark. Dean Barker (skipper of the
ETNZ AC72) immediately called the ETNZ chase boat. He received no response, as the chase boat
was deliberately on ‘receive only’.
He then made
an emergency call to Assistant Principal Race Officer Harold Bennett.

OK, got it - tha sounds like a sensible explanation. Chase boat was in receive only, then when RC could not get in touch, they enabled comms and called the boat over the internal system (seperate to the VHF that the Tactician has). No probs as RC had asked them to get in touch and race was abandoned. Thanks for explaining. I assume there is some way that the RC can tell when the chase boat go from recieve-only to transciever mode on the private comms.

I saw RD with a handheld ?VHF? before a prestart early on. I saw JK with a unit mounted on his shoulder when they played their postponment card.

#80 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

Sooo why would TE set off the press hounds now then ?

#81 Indio

Indio

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

From the same article

That was an outrageous comment by Murray. Ehman did not use the word "cheating". But Murray has deliberately tried to link it to cheating - I hope ETNZ lodges a protest against Murray under Protocol 60 and get his fat corrupt arse fined by the Jury.

And RHough, there is only one team in AC34 penalised for cheating - you're smart enough to work it out which team it was. And probably still doing it with it's unbelievable performance improvement onvernight.

Must be a cultural thang...

#82 BronzeWing

BronzeWing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, photography, CNC stuff and planes

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

On behalf of dogs, I wish to protest. I have a nice dog with not a bad bone in his body, therefore his turds are probably nice too ;)

#83 BronzeWing

BronzeWing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, photography, CNC stuff and planes

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

Maybe the great alphabet soup of paranoia can eavesdrop with some of their satellites to check if this is occurring.

Tosser Extraordinaire is going down for the third time and grasping at anything he can. 

Will someone toss him a kingpost :lol:

#84 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

grasping at straws, shot in the dark, downright offensive...I'm sure Dennis Conner felt the same way when NZ made a similar (exact?) claim.

If entirely BS, no problem, just a low road taken by a known douchebag.

If true, DSQ and Oracle will be one race away.

Oracle did immediately acknowledge that call on the water, then kept going. ENTZ did ignore the fuck out of it until their support boat talked to them doesn't really mean anything in itself nor does chatter on the boat unless they really lost their damn minds. I seriously doubt ENTZ was cheating, with the regatta lead especially.

No way they are using the handheld VHF this isn't a beer can race, seriously? Please tell me they aren't!

One can buy motorcyclist intended comms for a couple hundred bucks, that boat isn't louder than a Harley going eighty.

More likely in my completely uneducated opinion, ENTZ switched off comms when the race was called, prior to responding.

They aren't using handhelds they have helmet speakers.

#85 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

From the same article

We dont believe they have been cheating at all, said Murray.

That was an outrageous comment by Murray. Ehman did not use the word "cheating". But Murray has deliberately tried to link it to cheating - I hope ETNZ lodges a protest against Murray under Protocol 60 and get his fat corrupt arse fined by the Jury.

And RHough, there is only one team in AC34 penalised for cheating - you're smart enough to work it out which team it was. And probably still doing it with it's unbelievable performance improvement onvernight.

Did dalton shut down the base the other day to all but need to know people?

#86 wraith

wraith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

The ACRM radios are handportables, I believe.

TBH, in this day and age ACRM should provide a comms 'black box' radio that provides everything that is needed, and remains under their control - like the F1 ECU's. 

Seems daft for a number of teams to develop the same functionality.

#87 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

The ACRM radios are handportables, I believe.

TBH, in this day and age ACRM should provide a comms 'black box' radio that provides everything that is needed, and remains under their control - like the F1 ECU's. 

Seems daft for a number of teams to develop the same functionality.

Seems as daft as Tech companies making stuff that is OS dependent and will not work with other platforms :)

#88 NZL3481

NZL3481

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Wouldn't it make complete sense if the Chase boats were privy to communications from their respective boats? If a crewmember sustained a serious injury, or the boat suffered a serious failure, if the chase boat and the specialists on board had an idea what's going on, they can act accordingly immediately. It wouldn't be smart if the crew knew the rig was going to fall down and the chase boat inadvertently put themselves in a position where the rig could land on them. Good communication could avoid that.

#89 rosco08

rosco08

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

OR should be careful how far they push this given (based on what I've heard from multiple well-connected sources) the same could be asked about OR's foil control system.

Also ....four wings any one.....the silly bit is they are all the same!!

#90 mobiledubai

mobiledubai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

You are absolutely right .... Ehman has for years been surviving on Oracle ( LE ) interest in AC. If LE loses and quits the AC, Ehman is out of a job !!!! But you would think he made enough money by now not to resort to such tactics !!!

#91 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

From the same article

So Murray defends ETNZ from Ehman's innuendo and he should be protested?

Besides, OTUSA's increased performance upwind (at the cast of reaching speed) can be explained rationally by higher winds (as in race 4), more practice for tacks and ebb tide which makes the upwind leg more open.

Get a grip.

#92 minimumfuss

minimumfuss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:kiwis winning, sports

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Its not a radio communication. Maybe GD been signing this to JS / Oracle Chase boat a bit too often. Sign language is an official language in NZ.

#93 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

From the same article

The way I read the article TE knew he was saying NZ was cheating without using the word. For IM to cut through the crap and say they don't believe NZ were cheating rather highlights that TE was talking trash.

And you know I was having you on about NZ.  

#94 rh2600

rh2600

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

In NZ cheating is worse than losing. So there's no way ETNZ would risk being crucified at home for being caught. Losing? We'd be gutted, cheating we'd shake our heads in embarrassment and disown the team.

I can't speak for the USA but ever since the underarm incident we've seen Australia's discomfort with losing forcing them to do questionable things.

#95 JMOD

JMOD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:the usual stuff

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

new protest: ETNZ vs GGYC

http://www.nzherald....jectid=11125598

#96 0verlord

0verlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

He suffers from whiny little biatch syndrome. He has a history of this sort of thing.

#97 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,019 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Even more fucked up than at first glance..

So TE only knew about the radio use at exactly the same time we all did, I.e. When the ETNZ chase boat was specifically asked to contact NZL5 by the RD, whose own attempted communication using the 'Race radio' set up, had failed to attract any attention.

Couldn't have been much more public or more legit - but TE tried to make is sound like subterfuge - sad fucker!

No Jury Notice yet, but get ready for Case 37 folks.

#98 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

This is pretty much last straw. There are a bunch of good folk in TO but if anyone deserves to lose the Cup and get lifetime bans it is TE, LE, RC, and GGYC.

If you were Larry, would you be asking for resignations about now? If I was a GGYC member I'd be demanding a recall.

The problem is that any action the IJ takes will be contested in court and LE has shown a willingness to spend stupid amounts of money on lawyers. 

Go Team NZ - There is no I in just beat the fuckers.

#99 Liquid Assett NZ

Liquid Assett NZ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, AC,

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

all he is doing is galvanising NZ's resolve 

#100 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

all he is doing is galvanising NZ's resolve 

And you don't think filing a protest over this doesn't galvanize Larry's resolve and give further reason to open his checkbook for legal defense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users