5 replies to this topic

#1 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

Recently picked up chart book 3313 for the southern gulf islands, but would like a similar chart book for english bay, howe sound, burrard inlet, indian arm, and the north and south arms up to at least pitt lake. I've looked at the chs web site but couldn't find anything. At least not what sounded familiar to me. Any of the vancouver locals able to figure out if there is even a chart book covering the vancouver area?

#2 Zonker

Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

There is a chart pack that covers Howe Sound/Sunshine coast/English Bay #3311

You'll need seperate charts for Fraser River/Pitt Lake 3490/3491/3489

#3 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Damn. I was hoping chs was smart enough to bundle all of the english bay area into a chart book. Does 3311 cover burrard inlet and indian arm? The cost of the 3 charts for the river and pitt lake will almost be the cost of the entire chart book. The books make far more economic sense. Thanks for the info.

#4 Zonker

Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

see for yourself:   http://geoportal.gc....aps/Viewer/9#fc

Select "Approach Charts" on the right menu. 

3311 DOES cover English Bay, Sunshine Coast, Howe Sound, Burrard Inlet and Indian Arm

Not as many small boats go up the Fraser River so not much incentive to collect those areas into a chart book.

There is a current prediction site that I used to use (kept my sailboat in Ladner).  It was a struggle to find it.  You need to register (free) to use it but it offers current predictions based on expected water flows.  http://www2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/   I found it to be quite accurate.

You did NOT want to try going up the river during a strong ebb tide.  You'd go nowhere at sailboat speeds.  June was the worst month for strong outgoing current.  When the snowpack was melting sometimes you'd never get a flood tide current; just a reduction in the force of the ebb.

#5 amro

amro

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

Need the river charts for my power boat. I have moorage in the north arm and trips up to pitt lake are in the cards. I'll travel a lot farther in the power boat than the sail boat.

#6 Schnick

Schnick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I don't know about the rivers but I have a non-government approved 'Evergreen Pacific Cruising Atlas' which is a spiral bound book that goes from roughly the Charlottes to Tacoma.  I think Maxx Baquestay threw it in with a boat he brokered to my folks back in the 90s, but I have used it for nearly all of my cruising for about 15 years now and only once or twice has it lacked detail in an area that I needed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users