9 replies to this topic

#1 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

I need to replace some (all) of the standing rigging on an Illusion Mini 12... It looks like the stuff on there is about 1/16th inch 1x19 wire.  I'm having a hard time finding any 1x19 in that small of diameter.  1/16th 7x19 is more available... any reason why I can't use 7x19 instead?  I know it's more flexible, probably not as strong, but in this application I doubt that makes a difference.

Looks like 7x7 is also a posibility... heeeeeelp

#2 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Ok so I guess I can get the 1x19 in the correct size from jamestown if needed.  So the big question is 1x19 or 7x19?  I'll be using thimbles and nico press crimps to make the rigging.

#3 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Hard to get 1x19 around thimbles. Perhaps not so bad with 1/16th. 7x19 is more stretchy I think

#4 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hard to get 1x19 around thimbles. Perhaps not so bad with 1/16th. 7x19 is more stretchy I think

That was part of my concern.  Also the nico press fittings leave out 1x19 in their suggested use ;)

I ended up getting the 1x19 anyway to give a try.  That's whats on the boat now, and they managed to bend it around thimbles and used the nico press stuff so it should work for me hopefully.  Never thought to look at amazon for the material, but they've got everything needed and my whole order was only $25 bucks.

#5 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

7x19 stretches more, and gets stray wires much quicker. You will shred your kite as soon as it meets a set of 7x19 stays, and your hands won't last much longer

#6 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

You MUST use two nico sleeves at each end to get full rated strength of wire size.

#7 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

You MUST use two nico sleeves at each end to get full rated strength of wire size.

None of the boats we have now are doubled up but I'll keep that in mind.  I think even 1/16th wire is overkill for these boats.  There is no way we're putting more than maybe 100lbs force on the rigs?  You could grab the top of the mast and lay the boat flat in the water with a couple of fingers :D

#8 longy

longy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

The two sleeve requirement is stated in Nico factory operators manual. In direct usage, we saw Hobie 16 rigging made with only one sleeve suffer failure from pulling thru. Those sleeves are soft copper, & there is not enuff surface roughness in 1x19 to provide enuff 'tooth' to hold up to wire's rated strength.

#9 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

I used singles on an AMF Sunbird 12 years ago. Didn't notice it called for double until I was already done. The mast came down at the first puff.

#10 memopad

memopad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

The last set of rigging held up fine for 25 years with a single press, so I did the same on the new rigging. The sails on these minis are ridiculously small if it helps put your minds at ease ;)  On a hobie 16? I might triple it :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users