• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 basildog

basildog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

I'd give my left testicle to own any of Ian Farrier's boats - aw buggar it I'd donate both testicles to own one.

Baz

#102 offtherails

offtherails

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

well don't just give 'em up like that, you could get a 2nd or 3rd hand boat for under $50k,

#103 glowmaster

glowmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Trimarans, Windsurfing, SUP.
    The ultimate trifecta.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

I wrote this for Sailworld last year but missed the deadline. The topic was trailer sailing.  I figured I'd post it here for your entertainment, somewhat relevant to this topic...somewhat off topic.

My name is Ed Sinofsky. I live on Cape Cod with my wife Jean. I’ve been sailing for over 40 years but only recently got a trailerable multihull.  For the last few decades I mostly windsurfed.

Now our family pride and joy is GlowBoat, our Corsair 24 Mark II. The boat is a 1999 model that we bought in 2006, with the help of Bob Gleason from the Multihull Source.

This little trimaran does everything for us. It’s a race boat, relax boat, floating swim platform, and sometimes even love nest. She’s moored on Lewis Bay, near Hyannis, but we’ve only had that mooring for two years. Up until then we dry sailed it. We would launch it every time we sailed.

For 4 years I got a lot of practice trailering and setting up the boat.  We trailered her down to Stonington CT for the Off Soundings series, Newport for many regattas, and over the Cape bridges for the annual Buzzards Bay regatta.  I can launch and rig in 20 minutes, 40 if it is a spinnaker race.

Two years ago my wife Jean said to me “Ed you’re racing too damn much, take me sailing.”

My friend Mike Utley joined us at the launch ramp near the hospital in Hyannis at 9 AM. We were on our way to Martha’s Vineyard by 945, or so. We had a beautiful sail with a Southeast wind which is a beam reach to the Vineyard. The wind was blowing 10 to 12 and we were going to 8-10 knots. When we reached Vineyard Haven we turned around and went back to Hyannis.

We got back to the launch ramp and unrigged her.  Within the hour, I was at home having an old man nap at 2:30.  It doesn’t get any better than that.

Attached File  mixedbag1small.jpg   757.18K   44 downloads

#104 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:Racing and cruising sailing multihulls.
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Nuddy, just an observation, Farrier is the benchmark for cruiser racer and yes there are dedicated racers, but swing the other way to pure cruisers and there is nothing ! You are left with the Searunners, Pivers, Horstmans and Cross boats of decades past.

A definite niche for a budding designer.

RR

No market for a pure cruising tri. The cats have that market tied up.

#105 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

well don't just give 'em up like that, you could get a 2nd or 3rd hand boat for under $50k,

Actually a lot less than that for a Trailertri 680, 720 or Tramp.

#106 Ian Farrier

Ian Farrier

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Racing can be fun, and high speeds can sure be exhilarating, but it is also hard to beat this video of Southern Californian sailing that's just come in from Dan Beiley:

http://www.farrierma...byDanBeiley.mov

Ian Farrier

Farrier Marine

Designs for fun

#107 redreuben

redreuben

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Women, yachts, Micro brewed beer, women, yachts, micro brewed beer...........

Boat building materials and methods.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

Nuddy, just an observation, Farrier is the benchmark for cruiser racer and yes there are dedicated racers, but swing the other way to pure cruisers and there is nothing ! You are left with the Searunners, Pivers, Horstmans and Cross boats of decades past.

RR

Not under 9m they don't, cats under that size are like living in 2 sewer pipes, whereas a tri can give a much more liveable space if not enslaved to the racer/cruiser formula.

Admittedly it's a small niche but one that was full in the past and is now pretty much vacant unless you go for a 30-40yo design/boat.

#108 SeaGul

SeaGul

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:Fast multis and bikes and...

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

RR

Not under 9m they don't, cats under that size are like living in 2 sewer pipes, whereas a tri can give a much more liveable space if not enslaved to the racer/cruiser formula.

Admittedly it's a small niche but one that was full in the past and is now pretty much vacant unless you go for a 30-40yo design/boat.

well there are some at 35 feet like Dragonfly 35 ... and also 1200 .. and some more.. 

#109 Savoyard

Savoyard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Staying alive,sailing,boat building,reading.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:29 AM

RR

I don't think Richard Woods would agree with you on that at all.

#110 minimus

minimus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

Someone should tell tirade they should not be doing so well in the coastal classic in NZ

#111 eric e

eric e

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

Someone should tell tirade they should not be doing so well in the coastal classic in NZ

Attached File  IMG_1200.jpg   436.33K   49 downloads

tracker says they are in at tutukaka

#112 minimus

minimus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

err, he must have read this thread :mellow:

#113 NUDDY

NUDDY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
    Motor sport.
    4WD touring.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

RR

Actually, thinking about this again. No market for a pure cruising Tri because Farriers do cruising so well. Why would anyone want a lower performance Tri that does cruising no better. So the budding designer would be trying to compete for the Farrier market. For example compare the new Corsair Cruze 970 with the F32.

#114 pjadams

pjadams

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, sailing, reading, raising livestock (family!)

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

Farrier's are practical boats. You can use them for a broad spectrum of purposes. I've hauled mine to Lake Tahoe to camp under the stars in Emerald Bay. I slept inside and was warm and comfortable. My crew slept in a bag on the net and liked that too. Two days later we raced in the Trans Tahoe that was hit with a squall that had gusts to 35 knots. Of the fleet of 35 boats that entered, 5 finished. Two of these were 24's. Ross Stein in Origami was First and Gaijin was second (Overall). We passed a Farr 36 with a busload of guys on the rail on a screaming reach to the finish (We were the ones screaming). We've trailered to LA for the Summer Splash to Catalina, and did three Double-Handed Farallones races too. 19.8 knots has been our top speed so far. I can also take 6 adults out for a sunset cruise under main only. Wine and cheese for all. I've also taken toddlers out to watch the see lions with them standing on the bunk in the bow and their heads sticking safely out of the hatch. You can't beat OTUSA, but if you live in the real world, you've got to get practical at some point in your life. Sorry for the length of this. I love my boat. Pete F24 #314 "Gaijin"

#115 Triple Dutch

Triple Dutch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Any

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:12 AM

Amen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users