57 replies to this topic

#1 cheapshacht

cheapshacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

I guess we should all toss time limits in our NOR's from now on.  Rules are for pussy's!

#2 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

The Ed will watch F1 racing week after week after week throughout the year to have to wait for the victor to become final, months later, but can't stand to have a sailboat regatta last a few weeks?  What about the build up to the NBA finals, the World Series, NHL.  Why the heck can't they just get it over with in a day?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

#3 Plumber

Plumber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

The Ed will watch F1 racing week after week after week throughout the year to have to wait for the victor to become final, months later, but can't stand to have a sailboat regatta last a few weeks?  What about the build up to the NBA finals, the World Series, NHL.  Why the heck can't they just get it over with in a day?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

+1 I'm really getting tired of the Ed dissing the AC. This is the best AC i've seen...ever...WTF is wrong with him? Once this AC is over, I'm not coming back to this website.

#4 Titan Uranus

Titan Uranus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Interests:challenging idiots since 1993

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

+1 I'm really getting tired of the Ed dissing the AC. This is the best AC i've seen...ever...WTF is wrong with him? Once this AC is over, I'm not coming back to this website.
Best boats ever.

As an spectator event it is good

As a purist sailing event it is crap.

Lacks teams, personality and close tactical battles.

#5 scott187332

scott187332

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

I wish the LVC was more of an event.  It's too bad that more boats couldn't have managed so that was a bummer.  The AC is turning into a fantastic story!!!!!  Could you imagine if Oracle turns this thing around?  SA isn't even home to cover it!  If anyone pulled that kind of flyer you would have to do what they are doing on the front page to justify you're own stupidity.

I'm starting to agree with others here.  Screw the front page and all of it's non-information.  I like being here where people actually enjoy sailing and sailboats period.

Keep watching.  Keep shouting for your team and keep enjoying this fantastic sport!

#6 xfire

xfire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Interests:Etchells racing<br>Jr. sailing programs<br>

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Best boats ever.

It lacks elaborate prestart stalled dial up confrontations. It lacks grind 'em down tacking duels.

It does not lack close tactical battles.

#7 Alinghi4ever

Alinghi4ever

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Best boats ever.

It lacks elaborate prestart stalled dial up confrontations. It lacks grind 'em down tacking duels.

It does not lack close tactical battles.

I still can't imagine OTUSA winning this until they prove me wrong.

#8 eliboat

eliboat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Best boats ever.

You clearly haven't done any high level racing.

#9 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Best boats ever.

in the VMG thread, it became clear that he didn't really understand what it is...

#10 foster

foster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Best boats ever.

I guess lead changes don't qualify? This is sailing and after spending 2 days watching in the Bay live. All I can say is give me more of this.

Fast is Fun!

#11 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Best boats ever.

in the VMG thread, it became clear that he didn't really understand what it is...

It is Anarchy, after all, and you don't have to pass a test to post here....

#12 bwwooster

bwwooster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring funky old cars and my dear old California Golden Bears.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

Weren't the races originally scheduled to run later in the day, but were moved to earlier start times to avoid the bigger winds after Artemis went over?

#13 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

The Ed is a whinger with all sorts of axes to grind.  Pity he can't tell us what his problems are really.

#14 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

If the ed could pull his head out of his ass and listen further IM stated that the contract to run the racing in the bay has a time limit. They have to return the open bay to the public at a certain time. Not unlimited.

Like the wind limits imposed. They were to limit the boats from exceeding the 50 knt threshold as the foils will cavitate at that point and the potential for the boats falling down off the foils at those speeds were thought to be too exciting to allow to happen.

#15 lesburn1

lesburn1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:A-Cats and 18Sq meters and now AC more then before...

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

It's time for "the Ed" to get the fuck over himself. 

#16 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

The Ed is right.

How can IM tell that the race will be mathematically more than 40 minutes without knowing the wind changes ? mainly knowing that wind is increasing every minute ?

Utter BS like the "safe foils".

#17 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

^
Breeze was simply late filling in at the bottom. That's what I look at - and it was.

Code zeros came out briefly. Seemed like RC did a perfect job starting the first race.

But disappointing not to have a second race

#18 tonyb_in_eb

tonyb_in_eb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

Race Rules as I understand it:

Last race must start no later than 2:40

There must be 32 minutes between end of first race and begining of second race.

These are the rules they are playing by.

Why not just agree to extend the 2:40pm start? Probably because that is the agreement with lots of groups besides just the teams racing. Like maybe Vessel Traffic? Coast Guard? Local Police out patrolling? NBC Sports? Ferry Services that can't get in and out of Pier 39? I am just guessing. But there are a lot more folks involved here than just the two teams and the race director.

Why not get the teams to agree to 15 minutes between? Well at that point you have a very short time to negotiate it. And teams won't have time to go over boats to make sure that they are safe. 

Everyone wants to yell and scream about the rules/weather etc. but these same things apply to lots of other sports. Ever seen a baseball game delayed or called due to rain? How about a Nascar race? Bunch of pussies won't drive their 200mph car in a little rain? Damn I would drive my station wagon in the rain! What's wrong with them?

#19 TKR

TKR

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

The ED is right. The race rules in this event are ridiculous. It's a complete farce that there wasn't a second race today.

#20 Mambo Kings

Mambo Kings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

SA editorial team doesn't have anything intelligent to say about the racing itself. They don't have any good information or analysis about what improvements have made Oracle faster. They probably don't understand the tactical nuances of racing foiling cats. So it makes sense to fall back on writing repetitive and rather boring articles on time limits and wind limits. You cant really blame them.

However I agree, it would be nice if they could find someone who understands this level of performance sailboat racing to write a guest article or two for the front page so that the advertisers get a bit more value for their money.   :)  rather than have readers quickly passing thru the front page on their way to the forums. 

#21 Redsled

Redsled

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

If the ed could pull his head out of his ass and listen further IM stated that the contract to run the racing in the bay has a time limit. They have to return the open bay to the public at a certain time. Not unlimited.

Like the wind limits imposed. They were to limit the boats from exceeding the 50 knt threshold as the foils will cavitate at that point and the potential for the boats falling down off the foils at those speeds were thought to be too exciting to allow to happen.

+100  Thought everybody knew this by now.

#22 Marcjsmith

Marcjsmith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

Saying this is the best AC you have ever seen is like a virgin  saying sex is great...  you really don't have any basis for comparison...

No other AC, has had this kind of readily available media coverage,  except for maybe when DC went down under to bring it back home.

It would have been very simple for the race committee to make the judgement to have a 15 minute break, IE make a verbal change to the SI's as opposed to a 30 minute break. 

I would imagine that  some of the delays could be "hype" related.  IE  keep the fans interested, and keep em coming back each day spending more money.

no matter,  i hope who ever wins will bring some sanity, honor and tradition back to our "holy grail" of racing...  Sorry to say that us 'mericans aren't doing a very good job of it this year.  Well the AC world Series was fun enough,  but the AC34 has been a bit of a let down...

#23 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

^
A let down? Obviously you are not here.

I've attended a few Cups - nothing compares to the visual access granted by SF Bay.

AC improvements first rate too IMHO.

#24 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:48 AM

You know what, I am a patient mother fucker...way too patient and way too forgiving for my own good but I am fucking sick of the bullshit the Ed keeps putting on the front page.  Do away with it - it's either bitching about the AC or posting another link to a Dan Meyers article anymore. 

This AC may not have lived up to my expectations (initially) but the finals are fantastic to watch.  Much better than the IACC boats.  Yeah, there are things that can be fixed...but for a first pass I would say they did a pretty good fucking job.  Better than the Ed and Clean could ever whip up. 

Because of their vision I have had the hotel where I spend my weeks playing sailing in the lobby and have had my client, from time to time, watching the event.  I have probably exposed tens, if not hundreds, of people to sailing for the first time...and the one common sentiment is, "WOW!".  Do you think they would have ever had said that about just about any other sailing events?

You're entitled to your opinions, guys, but just remember this...arguably the best lesson I ever learned as a salesman.  NEVER UNSELL ANYTHING!  You never know where people's hearts and allegiances lie and you run the risk of alienating them.  Well, my allegiance is with sailing and you have now unsold me on Sailing Anarchy.

Carbon

#25 Observer

Observer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:54 AM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

F1 has:

A maximum 2 hour race time limit ! - Beyond Sundays race (in Singapore) where the drivers were showing signs of exhaustion, the limit is due to TV scheduling slots/contacts....sound familiar ?

Will stop the race if there is a crash they cant "safely" clear the wreckage of, and any restart is subject to the 2 hour limit.

That is as far as the comparison goes in this context.

The trouble is that everyone wants to fashion this event to their will. Not what the D-o-G intended...

Its meant for Billionaires on behalf of their favorite Yacht Clubs to throw $$$$ into their holes in the water for the right to challenge and then if successful, defend on tier terms. Let them go at it, and we (peons) should be lucky if we get a look in...I'm not complaining at what they have chosen to share with us.

Why is everyone so Entitled and Deserving. In the name of Anne Rand let the Privileged get on with it. They get to spend their $$$$ as they will.

Atlas has Shrugged.

#26 Pokey uh da LBC

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

A historic day for sailboat racing. The 34th Americas Cup is tied on the water at 8 races each, and the front page of world's number one sailboat racing website leads with another whine about the rules. 

The Ed then follows up with yet one more report on the stock price of First Marble Head.

#27 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,218 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

What you should know:

- the Ed did not attacked the 40 min rule but the fact that IM was willing to delay the race because it was "mathematical" they would not make it in time. Yes the breeze came later than expected but we could perhaps have got 2 races today

- can you link us where you saw that boats were cavitating above 50 kts and that there is a link with the wind limit ? The Hydroptere went over 50 kts and Vestas much above.

#28 In the Jailhouse Now

In the Jailhouse Now

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

Pity he can't tell us what his problems are really.

He thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

Hell, he still blames everything on Bush

#29 scott187332

scott187332

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

You know what, I am a patient mother fucker...way too patient and way too forgiving for my own good but I am fucking sick of the bullshit the Ed keeps putting on the front page.  Do away with it - it's either bitching about the AC or posting another link to a Dan Meyers article anymore. 

This AC may not have lived up to my expectations (initially) but the finals are fantastic to watch.  Much better than the IACC boats.  Yeah, there are things that can be fixed...but for a first pass I would say they did a pretty good fucking job.  Better than the Ed and Clean could ever whip up. 

Because of their vision I have had the hotel where I spend my weeks playing sailing in the lobby and have had my client, from time to time, watching the event.  I have probably exposed tens, if not hundreds, of people to sailing for the first time...and the one common sentiment is, "WOW!".  Do you think they would have ever had said that about just about any other sailing events?

You're entitled to your opinions, guys, but just remember this...arguably the best lesson I ever learned as a salesman.  NEVER UNSELL ANYTHING!  You never know where people's hearts and allegiances lie and you run the risk of alienating them.  Well, my allegiance is with sailing and you have now unsold me on Sailing Anarchy.

Carbon

Well said.  I'm with you.  I think SA should be ashamed.  I can't say it better than you so I won't try.  Thanks for the reply.

As far as rules go.  We all sail regattas and we all go to the skippers meeting to hear the rules we will be sailing under and thats the game.  I really like how well the officials are sticking to the rule book.  In the end no one will be able to cry foul.  I can't believe that someone would think the race committee would ask to change rules in a regatta this big from on the water.  That might happen at our clubs but it's not going to happen here.  And the Ed knows it.

#30 Puha_Ekapi

Puha_Ekapi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:13 AM

I wish the LVC was more of an event.  It's too bad that more boats couldn't have managed so that was a bummer.  The AC is turning into a fantastic story!!!!!  Could you imagine if Oracle turns this thing around?  SA isn't even home to cover it!  If anyone pulled that kind of flyer you would have to do what they are doing on the front page to justify you're own stupidity.

I'm starting to agree with others here.  Screw the front page and all of it's non-information.  I like being here where people actually enjoy sailing and sailboats period.

Keep watching.  Keep shouting for your team and keep enjoying this fantastic sport!

I have never raced or even paid a whole lot of attention to it. Dinghies for my own pleasure has been my sailing career. But this AC has me firmly by the balls. I can't get enough of it. Extend the regatta to first to 30 points! LOL

#31 Jari

Jari

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Finally some people sharing my sentiment. Stop barking ed , enjoy the beauty of it, did you see the moment 

they get on foils ? That is poetry in motion , I think I'm going to  cry. 

#32 Titan Uranus

Titan Uranus

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Interests:challenging idiots since 1993

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

Carbon

Well said.  I'm with you.  I think SA should be ashamed.  I can't say it better than you so I won't try.  Thanks for the reply.

As far as rules go.  We all sail regattas and we all go to the skippers meeting to hear the rules we will be sailing under and thats the game.  I really like how well the officials are sticking to the rule book.  In the end no one will be able to cry foul.  I can't believe that someone would think the race committee would ask to change rules in a regatta this big from on the water.  That might happen at our clubs but it's not going to happen here.  And the Ed knows it.

What a bunch of furk in retards!!!

He's allowed an opinion. Just like you guys do and have!!!

When one sits on the fence one Cannot enjoy the grass that lays either side of it.

#33 scott187332

scott187332

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

Carbon

When one sits on the fence one Cannot enjoy the grass that lays either side of it.

Thats your input?  Do you have a point to make about the conversation or just dropping by for some name calling?  Join the front page.

#34 Donjoman

Donjoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

http://www.smh.com.a...0924-2ub45.html

#35 Terrorvision

Terrorvision

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts
  • Interests:Taking 'the' out of Psychotherapist

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

To play the devil's advocate, I think he has a point this time round. 

Why do we need a time limit to start the race when there are already time limits and wind limits to finish the race? If the conditions are on point then they should start. 

You can't pull the 'TV programming' card because they should be allotted two races anyway and the schedule will be shot to hell already due to the delays.

I feel sorry for everyone in America that you can't watch it on YouTube (without jumping through hoops) - that is what is causing so many issues.

And to point out some irony- the front page whinges on about delays and breakages in the AC but glorifies them in the Little AC Cup that is all over the front page bukkake style but barely mentioned in the forums. Shows the disparity in interests.

#36 brian weslake

brian weslake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'm so sick of Ed's rantings I'm ready to contribute to a Dan Meyers legal support fund.

#37 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,767 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

And to point out some irony- the front page whinges on about delays and breakages in the AC but glorifies them in the Little AC Cup that is all over the front page bukkake style but barely mentioned in the forums. Shows the disparity in interests.

I'm really enjoying the LAC coverage actually. It feels like a breath of fresh air. By sailors, for sailors. I guess I like enthusiastic sailors who are delighted to talk about what they are doing more than I like corporate control-freakery, PR spin and secrecy.

#38 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

The Ed is right.

How can IM tell that the race will be mathematically more than 40 minutes without knowing the wind changes ? mainly knowing that wind is increasing every minute ?

Utter BS like the "safe foils".

You have been and still are a retard (and on ignore). Did you hear Jimmy today? They cavitate at 50. Not safe.

Read the protocol for racing in the bay. Their permission is limited, not unlimited.

#39 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

crying-baby-300x300.jpg

#40 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

I'm so sick of Ed's rantings I'm ready to contribute to a Dan Meyers legal support fund.

:P

#41 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

Bumped on top of the spam

#42 Plumber

Plumber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Saying this is the best AC you have ever seen is like a virgin  saying sex is great...  you really don't have any basis for comparison...

No other AC, has had this kind of readily available media coverage,  except for maybe when DC went down under to bring it back home.

It would have been very simple for the race committee to make the judgement to have a 15 minute break, IE make a verbal change to the SI's as opposed to a 30 minute break. 

I would imagine that  some of the delays could be "hype" related.  IE  keep the fans interested, and keep em coming back each day spending more money.

no matter,  i hope who ever wins will bring some sanity, honor and tradition back to our "holy grail" of racing...  Sorry to say that us 'mericans aren't doing a very good job of it this year.  Well the AC world Series was fun enough,  but the AC34 has been a bit of a let down...

I've followed the cup one way or another since the San Diego events with the original AC Class boats...I'm hardly a virgin...

The SIs are the SIs get over it. I don't think a 15 min break would be realistic, and the teams would probably not agree to such a change.

#43 savoir

savoir

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

The most relevant comment on the idiocy of these rules can be seen in the grandstands at The Marina. They are all about 1/4 full.

'Nuff said.

#44 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

The most relevant comment on the idiocy of these rules can be seen in the grandstands at The Marina. They are all about 1/4 full.

'Nuff said.

show up - they are free now. if you are a sailor - I am sure you would enjoy the view.

#45 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

The case can be made concept for this AC was a bridge too far. Some things didn't work out well. Some things worked out spectacularly well, including the boats and racing for the AC Final.

The RC has been given rules and limits, not guidelines. They don't have discretion about time limits and wind speed limits. Complaining that they followed the rules is lame.

#46 gregj1

gregj1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Lame isn't a strong enough word.  Ed is full of shit on his whole AC rant.  This is the coolest regatta ever, hands down.

Guess what Scott?  They have rules in the little AC, too.

#47 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,729 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Lame isn't a strong enough word.  Ed is full of shit on his whole AC rant.  This is the coolest regatta ever, hands down.

+1

Tempesta in a teapot has grown tedious.

#48 scott187332

scott187332

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Why do we need a time limit to start the race when there are already time limits and wind limits to finish the race? If the conditions are on point then they should start. 

You can't pull the 'TV programming' card because they should be allotted two races anyway and the schedule will be shot to hell already due to the delays.

I feel sorry for everyone in America that you can't watch it on YouTube (without jumping through hoops) - that is what is causing so many issues.

I think that is a valid point about the rules.  I guess my feeling is that is way too to change the rules.  They are what they are and now we sail by them.  That is what we all do when we sail in a regatta.  I think it's lame to start an uproar about something that is just a fact and every sailor in the cup seems to understand what is going on and sailing by the rule however they have been written.

#49 fallsailor

fallsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing, hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing, yoga, rum... girls that like that stuff too.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

+10000!!!

Its just getting old and most likely about clicks or some shit.

To date I think there has only been one really positive piece on the FP about the finals.

FS

#50 Grrr...

Grrr...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Why do they have time limits?  To fit in TV slots.  Why do they have wind limits?  They have an upper limit, enforced by the US Coast Guard because of the fatality.  They take that stuff seriously.  Why can't they start after a certain time?  Because this is a major body of water in the United States, which allows access to the entire population of a fairly large city called San Francisco (in case you didn't know).  The area has been 'given' to the AC for limited amounts of time because this isn't like other sailing races.  You can't have even the possibility of another boat getting in front of one of these monsters.

The front page and all this bullshit whining is the worst form of Monday Morning quarterbacking there is.  All these morons coming out of the woodwork couldn't have been bothered to actually read the rules.  Almost every one of these questions has been posed by the commentators.  In fact, Jobson directly asked the race official why they weren't extending the limit to start another race and was clearly told that they were trying to get authorization from the outside authorities and could not.

I find it utterly amazing that there are this many people who profess to enjoy the event but can't even be bothered to read or to watch that event to get the answers to all their questions.  Seriously.  I think the collective I.Q. of sailing anarchy dropped about 40 points once this event started.

#51 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think that is a valid point about the rules.  I guess my feeling is that is way too to change the rules.  They are what they are and now we sail by them.  That is what we all do when we sail in a regatta.  I think it's lame to start an uproar about something that is just a fact and every sailor in the cup seems to understand what is going on and sailing by the rule however they have been written.

A few facts:

One - SF is a very busy port.  You can see ships lined up waiting outside the SF Gate Bridge waiting to come in.  So time limits must be adheared to.

Two - If NBC isnt playing it live, then you can watch on Youtube in North America.  I have been able to watch all races either by A) being there, B ) NBC, or C) Youtube (from Canada). No hoop jumping required.

#52 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

Carbon

Well, which is it?  Does he get to have an opinion, or do we? 

Are we "retards" for voicing what an ass the Ed is being, while he is not a "retard" for voicing his inane blubbering?

You can either defend his positions or criticize them, if you truly believe that we are free to express ourselves here.  But criticizing us for slamming him is counter to that.  Of course, the Ed, who owns this place, can cut us off.  Actually, I kind of wish he would so we would all be forced to go somewhere else without his lame editorials.  Until then, this is the place with the largest assemblage of sailing fans and a good forum, and we would need a collective push to move, but it would happen pretty efficiently if we had that push.  I think even the Ed knows this.

#53 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm really enjoying the LAC coverage actually. It feels like a breath of fresh air. By sailors, for sailors. I guess I like enthusiastic sailors who are delighted to talk about what they are doing more than I like corporate control-freakery, PR spin and secrecy.

That part would be great, and all, if we could see the actual racing like we can in AC34.  I'm not being critical of the LAC, they are doing what they can with what they have.  I enjoy it, too. 

But I am not about to be critical of what I would call "professional", relative to the AC coverage.  The main play-by-play guy has done a great job of getting up to speed, and KR has been great.  Even Jobbo has been decent in his position.  And I really liked NO between races (Percy, while I really like him, is not up to NO for that job). 

What we have seen as far as coverage/footage of the AC has been truly phenomenal.  I'm going to appreciate the hell out of it while we have it, as it is not something we have a right to, and who knows what we will have next time around.  We can always have something similar to the LAC coverage.

#54 Patriot

Patriot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

Why do they have time limits?  To fit in TV slots.  Why do they have wind limits?  They have an upper limit, enforced by the US Coast Guard because of the fatality.  They take that stuff seriously.  Why can't they start after a certain time?  Because this is a major body of water in the United States, which allows access to the entire population of a fairly large city called San Francisco (in case you didn't know).  The area has been 'given' to the AC for limited amounts of time because this isn't like other sailing races.  You can't have even the possibility of another boat getting in front of one of these monsters.

The front page and all this bullshit whining is the worst form of Monday Morning quarterbacking there is.  All these morons coming out of the woodwork couldn't have been bothered to actually read the rules.  Almost every one of these questions has been posed by the commentators.  In fact, Jobson directly asked the race official why they weren't extending the limit to start another race and was clearly told that they were trying to get authorization from the outside authorities and could not.

I find it utterly amazing that there are this many people who profess to enjoy the event but can't even be bothered to read or to watch that event to get the answers to all their questions.  Seriously.  I think the collective I.Q. of sailing anarchy dropped about 40 points once this event started.

Well said.

#55 Love2Sail

Love2Sail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Carbon

Why do we always have to end up with someone calling someone else a "retard" It is VERY rude and insensitive. http://www.r-word.org/

#56 Carbon

Carbon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

I forgot to mention - Iain Murray eluded to a time constraint...probably worked out with either the Coast Guard and/or the city for their event...which allows them to maintain strict control of the waterfront for the hours of the race.  That's likely where the 2:30 PM time limit comes from...it's just just about TV but about restricting the monopoly of the water front to a few hours...which makes sense.

Hey, I'm all for opinion of any variety but I am sick of the bellicose language regarding the AC.  It's almost entirely incorrect, inaccurate and/or unfair. 

For that matter, they have been belly-aching about wind limits, boat breakdowns and RC restrictions (to name a few) and then went and covered the C Class Championships which have been riddled with breakdowns (>50% of the boats), light and strong winds forcing abandonment/cancellation of the races and low (20 knot) wind limits (not to mention fog).  Don't misunderstand...I love the C class cats and their championship is awesome...but to have Clean bobbing around on the "Cornish Pussy" with intermittent shots of headlands and the superstructure of a dive boat....well, let's just say I'd take the AC on its worst day over that. 

#57 tackinchik

tackinchik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

Race Rules as I understand it:

Last race must start no later than 2:40

There must be 32 minutes between end of first race and begining of second race.

These are the rules they are playing by.

Why not just agree to extend the 2:40pm start? Probably because that is the agreement with lots of groups besides just the teams racing. Like maybe Vessel Traffic? Coast Guard? Local Police out patrolling? NBC Sports? Ferry Services that can't get in and out of Pier 39? I am just guessing. But there are a lot more folks involved here than just the two teams and the race director.

Why not get the teams to agree to 15 minutes between? Well at that point you have a very short time to negotiate it. And teams won't have time to go over boats to make sure that they are safe. 

Everyone wants to yell and scream about the rules/weather etc. but these same things apply to lots of other sports. Ever seen a baseball game delayed or called due to rain? How about a Nascar race? Bunch of pussies won't drive their 200mph car in a little rain? Damn I would drive my station wagon in the rain! What's wrong with them?

+1

I think what you are saying makes the most logical sense. The amont of traffic on any given day on the City Front is pretty substaintial. I know in quite a few of the races I've done that the time limit was set based on CG imposed limits. Also, weren't the wind limits part of the USCG inquiry process? I for one am thankful they didn't switch up the rules mid-series. I would not want to be a part of that RC if they had.

#58 kadyca

kadyca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

What you should know:

- the Ed did not attacked the 40 min rule but the fact that IM was willing to delay the race because it was "mathematical" they would not make it in time. Yes the breeze came later than expected but we could perhaps have got 2 races today

- can you link us where you saw that boats were cavitating above 50 kts and that there is a link with the wind limit ? The Hydroptere went over 50 kts and Vestas much above.

In one of the pressconfs, jimmy said they were running up against cavitation as a limiting factor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users