32 replies to this topic

#1 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

Last night as I was leaving my local Safeway store I overheard a conversation about yesterday's AC racing. Not only was it somewhat remarkable that in my very suburban neighborhood, well away from the Bay, that somebody was discussing details of the day's racing and OTUSA's situation, but the three people involved were all persons of color. Clearly they all had been following the events closely and were knowledgeable about them. I found it interesting that these three, whom I assume (perhaps wrongly) were not sailors, were discussing AC 34 as if it were the Giants, A's, Niners or Raiders.

Maybe this AC format is working. Now to iron out the wrinkles in race scheduling. 

#2 shiny

shiny

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

Maybe this AC format is working. Now to iron out the wrinkles in race scheduling. 

And maybe change the location - the bay has not proven terribly reliable has it? Five days now they've lost at least one race a day due to conditions (and a few ridiculous rules).

#3 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

And maybe change the location - the bay has not proven terribly reliable has it? Five days now they've lost at least one race a day due to conditions (and a few ridiculous rules).

Rules certainly need tweaking. Location is awesome. But lets face it, you can't count on the weather to cooperate. Anywhere.

#4 Nacradriver

Nacradriver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Interests:Fast things

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

Last night as I was leaving my local Safeway store I overheard a conversation about yesterday's AC racing. Not only was it somewhat remarkable that in my very suburban neighborhood, well away from the Bay, that somebody was discussing details of the day's racing and OTUSA's situation, but the three people involved were all persons of color. Clearly they all had been following the events closely and were knowledgeable about them. I found it interesting that these three, whom I assume (perhaps wrongly) were not sailors, were discussing AC 34 as if it were the Giants, A's, Niners or Raiders.

It is reaching all sorts...  many of my co-workers are getting hyped up about it...  We had some "trash talk" with some of our down under workmates on a company wide conference call last week... 

#5 shiny

shiny

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

Rules certainly need tweaking. Location is awesome. But lets face it, you can't count on the weather to cooperate. Anywhere.

We have reliable conditions about 90 days out of 100 between 1 December and 1 June in the Caribbean!

#6 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

We have reliable conditions about 90 days out of 100 between 1 December and 1 June in the Caribbean!

OK, put together a program, win the America's Cup and we can watch it in your backyard. Until then, the Bay is the best venue we've ever seen.

#7 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,931 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

It is reaching all sorts...  many of my co-workers are getting hyped up about it...  We had some "trash talk" with some of our down under workmates on a company wide conference call last week... 

Yes, here also!  Machine Tool Mechanics here at Pratt & Whitneys Middletown jet engine plant have heard of it or even seen it somewhat.  Most of these guys ride Harleys, own lots of guns and follow Nascar or baseball or American football.   One guy who actually is a sailor and just sold his Pacific Seacraft, complimented me on the Etchells bumper sticker on my bulletin board....

#8 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

OK, put together a program, win the America's Cup and we can watch it in your backyard. Until then, the Bay is the best venue we've ever seen.

Really the best venue we have ever seen.

#9 nzsailorchick

nzsailorchick

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:21 PM

How about just give the RC some flexibility on course length and mark positioning.

#10 RMac

RMac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

I agree completely, fix the class rules to make the boats sailable in higher winds, and change the time limit and you've got nearly the perfect venue and boat, aside from cost considerations. 

Hearing people in SF talk about the cup was great, lots of people were into it.  The best was a pair of bitter old ladies on the bus who were complaining about everything under the sun, like seriously everything (black people, white people, the mentall ill,  taxes, war etc etc) One of them said "and look at that, more Americas Cup trash, I don't like it one bit, it's a rich mans sport" and the other one actually said "but have you seen it? It's FAST"  

#11 shiny

shiny

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yep, with how many days of no sailing at all, and how many days of only one race?

#12 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

Yep, with how many days of no sailing at all, and how many days of only one race?

Most (if not all) of which could be remedied by tweaking the rules.

#13 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

The best was a pair of bitter old ladies on the bus who were complaining about everything under the sun, like seriously everything (black people, white people, the mentall ill,  taxes, war etc etc) One of them said "and look at that, more Americas Cup trash, I don't like it one bit, it's a rich mans sport" and the other one actually said "but have you seen it? It's FAST"  

Sounds like a marvellous stage play.

But, instead of the elderly, I would cast dumb kids in leading roles.

Also, I would have to work in the following.

During a recent coffee with two of our favourite lady anarchists, the better known (of the two) said the important thing is "size matters."

#14 shiny

shiny

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

Most (if not all) of which could be remedied by tweaking the rules.

The rules need 'tweaking' alright - they should be 'tweaked' into the bin. That would men dropping the AC72 as a design and the concept behind it. It is a special-purpose platform, unable to perform in under 12 knots of breeze, and unstable in over 23 knots.

Personally I'm in favour of a design that allows for competitive sailing in a range of breezes, but if people want NASCAR/AC72s then at least put it in a venue where you have always got 14-21 knots breeze. And when I say 'always' I mean like 95% of the time.

#15 Guvacine

Guvacine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Multihulls

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

What a wanker

#16 FastBottoms

FastBottoms

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:54 PM

The rules need 'tweaking' alright - they should be 'tweaked' into the bin. That would men dropping the AC72 as a design and the concept behind it. It is a special-purpose platform, unable to perform in under 12 knots of breeze, and unstable in over 23 knots.

Personally I'm in favour of a design that allows for competitive sailing in a range of breezes, but if people want NASCAR/AC72s then at least put it in a venue where you have always got 14-21 knots breeze. And when I say 'always' I mean like 95% of the time.

These boats can perform in a much wider range of conditions. But as they are a brand new design that until recently, nobody had sailed in any conditions, there is a learning curve, both on and off the water. Had you ever spent any time on San Francisco Bay, you'd know that summertime wind is typically extremely predictable. Unfortunately, due to rules restrictions and the vagaries of a non-El Nino or non-La Nina weather pattern, the wind has not always been what we would wish this month.

Again, if anybody in your little part of the world has the cajones and scratch to take the Cup away from whomever wins it this week, we'll all enjoy seeing it contested in your great conditions. Funny- I don't remember there ever being an America's Cup held there though...

#17 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,445 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

Went to breakfast off Hiway 50 headed to Tahoe. Woman came in with her family with an Oracle jacket on.

"Two more tomorrow" was all I said to her and we bagged em'.

#18 bwwooster

bwwooster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring funky old cars and my dear old California Golden Bears.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

How many postponements were not due to exceeding the post-Aretmis wind limits? The two races on Saturday and the second race today. That's all-- and that includes every race day since June!

The cancellation of the first 'race 13' was due to the TV-mandated 40 minute time limit, otherwise the race was going well (especially if you're from NZ!)

But for the post-Artemis wind limits, no other LVC/AC event has had as few postponements. The wind simply isn't as reliable in Valencia, San Diego or Newport.  

Auckland, maybe. Almost. Weren't there postponements there due to insufficient winds? Fremantle had reliable winds, I seem to recall.

#19 muelldawg

muelldawg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Windsurfing, Penguin sailing and squash.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:47 AM

For me this is the most exciting AC Regatta ever and I have watched the cup races for decades and decades.

#20 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,931 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

For me this is the most exciting AC Regatta ever and I have watched the cup races for decades and decades.

Yes!!  Even better than being on the water in 83 and watching the OZ winged keel take the cup!  Just make them 45's instead of 72's going forward, to make more affordable to more challengers...

#21 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

I got a "Go Spithill" in the grocery store parking lot the other day here in Sunny central florida while wearing my OTUSA 17 shirt.

Then again I had an AC34 shirt on in the gym and a big hispanic guy came up to me and asked me if that was from "them flying boat things... man those things are sick!!!!!!"

He wanted to know if you had to be a good sailor just to grind on the pedestals.  He seemed to be quite proud of his biceps.

I also know that every single person that my wife and I have introduced to the cup have been hooked on it.  My family in SF and San Jose went to as many races as they could.  They've DVR's the whole thing.  Friday for our department meeting, we all just got on a webex and watched the youtube together the whole time everyone asking me questions and gasping at the speeds involved.  My frigging MOTHER IN LAW WON'T LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE ABOUT IT!  She texted me yesterday and said "Please text me and let me know who wins the second race as I'll be in Church and won't be able to watch!"

#22 Koukel

Koukel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:12 AM

You should try sailing some time.  You might learn a thing or two about the weather.

Koukel

#23 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,024 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:14 AM

Since God is on Ellison's side, I don't think he'd mind her running Virtual Eye

#24 idontwan2know

idontwan2know

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

It goes to show how much expectations have been changed by this cup match that people are complaining about *only* one race per day.

While I think some of the individual races in '07 were better, this is clearly the most entertaining cup match in history. A few more tweaks to the boats and the format will take it to another level. A  bit smaller boat that can safely sail in up to 25-28 knots and you have something special.

#25 A Florida Redneck

A Florida Redneck

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

My third AC I've watched in person.  No doubt the best AC ever.  As a tactician (loving those tactics heavy slow boats) I had my doubts about tactics being a part of this regatta.  I was dead wrong.  They have figured out how to tack and gybe these boats sufficiently well to make it a true tactical contest as well as a speed spectacle.  As far as non-sailors getting interested, I have never seen so many get interested in so little time.  Spent a week with the sister in law and her family in SFO . They'd never seen a sailboat race, and they're all hooked.  Co-workers, other non-sailing friends...same thing.  The venue is incredible, the course is perfect for the venue - just a quantum leap in AC racing from all aspects. The coverage is also at another level.  Never thought I'd see those kind of production values.

Although certainly not perfect, the Larry and Russell vision was mostly on target.  

#26 rovanparran

rovanparran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:AC

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

i saw many, many people in the grandstands today who i would not consider to be sailing fans. they didn't know a tack from a jibe but they were out there, supporting their team (mostly ORUSA because they were locals) and loving the drama and beauty of the whole event.

the grandstands were packed, the atmo congenial (i was fully decked in ORUSA gear, sitting with hardcore Kiwi fans and all loving the fact we were still watching great racing, though they just wanted to get it over with already...). it was another amazing day by the bay in the best America's Cup venue ever... people noticed... and watched.

#27 Headntac

Headntac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Sailing in general.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

All the experts are out at the Pub........friggin hilarious,yes much Joy in watching AC 72"s

#28 Chris 249

Chris 249

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

No one in Oz has mentioned a word to me about it, apart from my wife (cat sailor but not interested), daughter's boyfriend (loving it) and two people down at the sailing club (went to SF, loved it). In two weeks in Europe during the LVC I saw not a single mention. I have seen one small piece in a newspaper here.

Exactly how do you separate the virtues of the current Cup format from the virtues of the viewing technology, the fact that this Cup is the first to benefit from such a vast loss-making promotional spend, and the fact that this Cup is the first in the USA for years?

If LE hadn't bought network time, promotion, billboards, the ACWS etc, would anyone know about it? 

#29 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

they didn't know a tack from a jibe but they were out there

That was Kenny Read the other day

#30 hornblower

hornblower

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Virtual Sailing

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

about audience ...

i don't have figures for previous AC events, but I noticed each evening i've been watching the  official AC's Youtube broadcast, we were about 42 000 viewers, which sounds as a low number worldwide imho.

#31 Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Swanno (Ohf Shore)

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

about audience ...
i don't have figures for previous AC events, but I noticed each evening i've been watching the  official AC's Youtube broadcast, we were about 42 000 viewers, which sounds as a low number worldwide imho.

most views is 300k plus on races 6 and 7. Most others are around 200k

Gotta remember that most of these would be people out of USA and NZ, and also people who had Fox Sports in South East Asia wouldn't watch it on youtube either.

#32 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Wow, this is interesting. From NY Times

Five most viewed articles nytimes.com/sports from sept. 20-26:

1. After comeback for the ages, a last dash for the America's Cup
2. Oracle completes voyage to history, winning America's Cup

#33 RHough

RHough

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,740 posts
  • Interests:The basic principle of sportsmanship and fair play, friendly competition ...

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

If you want a wide audience stream the event and sell team gear at Walmart.  B)

what's that?  wide? not fat?

nevermind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users