• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CiaoCiao

CiaoCiao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

I'm a huge fan of SA, but it's such a drag when I get all excited about the AC and all I see is the AC bashing on SA. This is the most exciting racing I've ever seen! Too much wind, too little wind, time limits - who cares? I just got back from the race today and I can barely sit down thinking about what's ahead. The seats are now free down by the water (were $130 yesterday!) and while a little light at the start, which delayed things, it was spectacular. 

Am I the only one that finds the coverage here a big buzz kill? I'm also a huge fan of Lattitude 38, and it's kind of the same thing. I don't get it. Is it just a Larry thing or something?

#2 scott187332

scott187332

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

You are not the only one.  Keep on enjoying the racing.  This is turning into an amazing story and SA ins't there!  I can not wait until tomorrow!  

#3 CiaoCiao

CiaoCiao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

See you back there tomorrow! For sure, two races. If it goes to Wednesday, I'm pulling my kids out of school to see this. 

#4 scott187332

scott187332

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Ah!  Thats great.  I've already told my coworkers I might be sick on Wednesday too.  Enjoy the racing!

#5 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Ed has some issue with it, i don't know exactly what, but it does seem odd that the greatest spectacle in sailing, that just so happens to be happening right in his backyard, has been consistently bashed by him for no apparent reason.

Maybe some kind of class based self loathing with a side of being ignored (no press pass?) i don't know, but i doubt it is helping drive traffic or in any way promoting the sport in a positive way.

Clean can be excused, he is providing some awesome coverage of the C Class Cats.

Ed on the other hand is acting like an angry child in a corner refusing to accept he was wrong.

#6 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,932 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

Scooter has some serious issues, methinks...  Needs a new shrink, perhaps...

#7 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

Ed has some issue with it, i don't know exactly what, but it does seem odd that the greatest spectacle in sailing, that just so happens to be happening right in his backyard, has been consistently bashed by him for no apparent reason.

Maybe some kind of class based self loathing with a side of being ignored (no press pass?) i don't know, but i doubt it is helping drive traffic or in any way promoting the sport in a positive way.

Clean can be excused, he is providing some awesome coverage of the C Class Cats.

Ed on the other hand is acting like an angry child in a corner refusing to accept he was wrong.

After his kiwi trailer sportie was refused entry to AC34 it all hit the fan and got nasty!

#8 RMac

RMac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

While I don't think SA minds going against the grain (or the status quo) I don't think their message is changing anyones mind, so it comes across as pointless and bitter. 

#9 Te Kooti

Te Kooti

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Is it just a Larry thing or something?

Among SF people, it is a Larry thing.

Simply extraordinary to hear the 100% animosity directed at him.

Among others, resistance is generated by the torrent of cliches and platitudes, the persistent harping on "SF as the best venue ever" (which is not correct) and the Oracle tendency to utter banal (and completely predictable) talking points.

Even so, the boats are exciting and the racing close.

SF is an interesting city. Th transit is marvellous, the BOS has good ideas and, apart from dangerous nut-cases like SWS, the people are friendly and open.

Later, we should produce a report card - showing what worked and what didn't.

As for Clean, he is irrelevant.

What matters most is SF brought together anarchists who seem to have greatly enjoyed each others company.

#10 bosun

bosun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:37 PM

I'm a huge fan of SA, but it's such a drag when I get all excited about the AC and all I see is the AC bashing on SA. This is the most exciting racing I've ever seen! Too much wind, too little wind, time limits - who cares? I just got back from the race today and I can barely sit down thinking about what's ahead. The seats are now free down by the water (were $130 yesterday!) and while a little light at the start, which delayed things, it was spectacular. 

Am I the only one that finds the coverage here a big buzz kill? I'm also a huge fan of Lattitude 38, and it's kind of the same thing. I don't get it. Is it just a Larry thing or something?

+1 Completely agree.......spent a week on the water watching the LV series.  Got buzzed by both OTUSA boats every day.  It was incredible!!  This is the best racing I've ever seen. I could care less about the wind ranges or delays....keep it coming!  I'm also a huge SA fan and am tired of the bashing especially when I tuned in to watch the C Class coverage and found it laughable in comparison (different budgets for sure)

#11 CiaoCiao

CiaoCiao

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

The Larry thing is interesting. I've spent a career in advertising here in SF and Oracle's reputation in working with the local agencies has always been an issue and it comes straight from him as an angry dictator. Few ad agencies want to work with Oracle/him. In fact, a number of years ago, they held a review of their global account and no one wanted it! It was amazing because normally ad agencies are completely mercenary, but he had drawn an interesting line in the sand.

Having said that, I saw the interview of him with Charlie Rose and I actually warmed up to him a little (just a little). He talked about going back to 45's (this was just after the Artemis disaster and early in the final series). He's certainly mellowed. And without him, I don't think I'd be skipping out of work right now! 

#12 Glenn

Glenn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

Come Wednesday this place(SA) will die.. well maybe Thursday allowing 24hours of Fan Boy Gloating and Fan Boy Excuses!

But this place will die this week...when everyone shakes hands and go their separate ways.

Its been fun..!

#13 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:17 AM

Larry has put on a tremendous show. I've been out on the water 5 times and watched it at the Alameda Theater 3 times. I've only been to the AC Billage the once. Outstanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users