Oh no, ETNZ what have you done??!

#3 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

They just made history, like the 1986 Boston Red Sox and the 2004 NY Yankees.

#4 jaysper

jaysper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,364 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

Oh no, ETNZ what have you done??!

They've lost from an (almost) impossible to lose position, thats what they've done.

After the next race,Oracle will still have the cup and ETNZ will probably disappear sadly.

#5 jorgensen-online

jorgensen-online

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

Tomorrow could well be blown out. No racing.

Think the Big Boats will let the AC run a race at 13:15? If so, time to gas up the car and be there, Southern California is about 6.5 hours by car if you obey the limits.

#6 Renegade26

Renegade26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Racer Chasers

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

ACWS was an EXHIBITION SERIES, OTUSA should already have the cup in their hands.  Doesn't matter, JIMMYS FUCKING GOT THIS.  Davies looks like hes about to cry ahahahahahah 

kenny-powers-american-flag-fuck-you.gif

#7 imnotasailer

imnotasailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:rooting

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Apparently new zealand has the best sailers in the world. BULLSHIT

#8 ezyb

ezyb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just got a text from a contact who is connected to some of ETNZ's NH money - says he believes a loss tomorrow will almost certainly see the end of Team New Zealand.  Also believes Prada won't continue under a LE-controlled cup.  Will be a sad end to a great AC era. 

#9 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

What do you mean race 19? This is a BEST of 17 You IDIOT!!

#10 alpha

alpha

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

Still one race to go boys and girls. It not over.....yet.

#11 Matt B

Matt B

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

Check your idiot mirror.

#12 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

That's really not necessary. Besides, per capita I'm quite sure they do. Blake, Coutts etc. were/are legends.

#13 Gingerbread

Gingerbread

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Sport Boats

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

For the general public it may not be over but for sailors and those in the know it's been won already.

#14 Elite324

Elite324

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Lawyers of the world are united in there support for ETNZ, At this point I hope the US wins, they have earned it and nothing good will come out of a NZ victory that goes straight to court.

#15 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Just got a text from a contact who is connected to some of ETNZ's NH money - says he believes a loss tomorrow will almost certainly see the end of Team New Zealand.  Also believes Prada won't continue under a LE-controlled cup.  Will be a sad end to a great AC era. 

As much as I want to see TOUSA win, as the underdogs, I would much prefer the Kiwis or anyone, besides Larry Evilsin, control the next cycle.....

#16 saffa steve

saffa steve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

will be kiwi sailors on the winning team no matter what happens

#17 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

Closing up shop tomorrow and going down early

EPIC!

#18 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

Hey. Have some fucking respect. This isn't over, so behave yourself or go away. Your choice.

#19 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

Sheesh. Do we have to go over this again?

#20 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

As much as I want to see TOUSA win, as the underdogs, I would much prefer the Kiwis or anyone, besides Larry Evilsin, control the next cycle.....

It might be a case of "be careful what you wish for."

Time will tell, as usual.

#21 bwwooster

bwwooster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, restoring funky old cars and my dear old California Golden Bears.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hey. Have some fucking respect. This isn't over, so behave yourself or go away. Your choice.

They really, really do have the best sailors. It's like a religion in the Antipodes.

#22 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Wow. Unbelievable.
It all comes down to this.

That first start today was the most complete cock-up I have seen.  When you're hooked, you have to get UP NOW.  That shit gybe into nowheresville two days ago, the double jibe (and STILL too high) at the leeward gate, horrifically bad starts.  A slower boat that can only creakily semi-foil to weather.  No, sorry, ETNZ is toast.  There is simple no way in hell Oracle is losing tomorrow, unless they are dismasted.

#23 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

The interesting Aussie media thing, regardless of who wins this time, will be the finish of race 19 is on the 26th September, our time and the big three oh bunfight!!

#24 kenergy

kenergy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

Yep, a pretty special era, TNZ may not have won them all but they have been in more AC finals than anyone else in recent times

If we go out tomorrow, this cup sure has been an epic one, but I think we have seen the result of a limited budget in this game.

#25 JimmyS

JimmyS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:$ailing Fa$t Boat$

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:48 AM

gotta love the press at the conference 

''Dean,,for every historic victory,there's a historic FAIL-how does it feel to be faced with this?'' :lol: :lol:

...good on Deano for giving 'credit where credit's due'    13:30

http://www.youtube.c...-gkSXZAXk#t=699

and 14:00 to Dean''Einstein had a saying-Insanity is repeating the same behavior,expecting a different result.What do you plan to do differently tomorrow?''.......DB''we're going to -try- and win'' :huh:

#26 NZL4EVER

NZL4EVER

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit, Running, V8 Supercars, America's Cup

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:51 AM

Yep, a pretty special era, TNZ may not have won them all but they have been in more AC finals than anyone else in recent times

If we go out tomorrow, this cup sure has been an epic one, but I think we have seen the result of a limited budget in this game.

And having Prada gone too is a big blow if NZ wasn't there I would be behind them 100%

#27 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

Yes the win is due to the one American on OR, Team USA indeed. 

#28 John Gault

John Gault

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

IMO, ETNZ needs to win the start and 1st mark, hold tight cover downhill, don't let OTUSA split at #2, cover again uphill, and block any challenge to mark 3. If ETNZ wins, its because they slowed the race down. That's the only strategy I see working tomorrow....but, it may be to windy...

#29 NZL4EVER

NZL4EVER

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Keeping fit, Running, V8 Supercars, America's Cup

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

IMO, ETNZ needs to win the start and 1st mark, hold tight cover downhill, don't let OTUSA split at #2, cover again uphill, and block any challenge to mark 3. If ETNZ wins, its because they slowed the race down. That's the only strategy I see working tomorrow....but, it may be to windy...

Here's another one Oracle make there boat so light and fragile it all ends badly.

#30 weta27

weta27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

Justice would be OR leading by 1km coming down to Mark 4 and the RC calling the race off for exceeding the time limit.

IM - "We need to get you all back up to the start for the next race. TV network requirements"

JS - "But if we just finish this there doesn't need to be another race?!!"

IM - "The rules is the Rules ...."

#31 clamslapper

clamslapper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

''Dean,,for every historic victory,there's a historic FAIL-how does it feel to be faced with this?'' :lol: :lol:

and 14:00 to Dean''Einstein had a saying-Insanity is repeating the same behavior,expecting a different result.What do you plan to do differently tomorrow?''.......DB''we're going to -try- and win'' :huh:

The journos are harsh, but pretty much right.  That comment really gets to ETNZ's mentality.  They have played the exact same game over and over while Oracle is positively cybernetic in its uptake of doing things differently and better every day.

Love and respect Deano so much, but without a big change in the game plan, it's just not going to work.  Just not.  Even winning a start isn't enough to put them near Oracle at the end of the race.  Now, they've left a lot on the table as far as tactics.  But even winning the start and having immaculate tactics won't do it.  They've got to find some more speed, plain and simple.  Let's see what the designer/shop guys can do as far as improving the physical boat and wing.  Get the sprit off -- too much windage from the struts and cables underneath.  And for God's sake, the team should go out in the morning and do as many maneuvers as possible. 

And if they do get a lead, I agree with Gary Jobson -- who apparently isn't as popular here as he used to be -- cover!!!  Would be good to see them go back to tried and true match racing principles which they regularly deployed early on.  

Of course, if for once they can truly be aggressive and get their act together at the start that will help a great deal.

#32 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,428 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

John.... Good analysis.  I agree completely.  Lose any one of these elements and it looks pretty unhappy.

#33 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

...if NZ starts like the second race,,,with equal and higher relative speeds like they did in the the first,,,all will be well for them!!

...NZ caught significant time on the upwind,,,held it on the downwind...it's all in the tactics and strategy.

#34 Vee

Vee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Vendettas

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

Yes the win is due to the one American on OR, Team USA indeed. 

+several hundred non Americans. Ozzie driver, Brit tactician and Kiwi manager. America proves yet again that it couldn't win a piss up in a brewery without outside assistance.

#35 kenergy

kenergy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

The journos are harsh, but pretty much right.  That comment really gets to ETNZ's mentality.  They have played the exact same game over and over while Oracle is positively cybernetic in its uptake of doing things differently and better every day.

Love and respect Deano so much, but without a big change in the game plan, it's just not going to work.  Just not.  Even winning a start isn't enough to put them near Oracle at the end of the race.  Now, they've left a lot on the table as far as tactics.  But even winning the start and having immaculate tactics won't do it.  They've got to find some more speed, plain and simple.  Let's see what the designer/shop guys can do as far as improving the physical boat and wing.  Get the sprit off -- too much windshe from the struts and cables underneath.  And for God's sake, the team should go out in the morning and do as many maneuvers as possible. 

And if they do get a lead, I agree with Gary Jobson -- who apparently isn't as popular here as he used to be -- cover!!!  Would be good to see them go back to tried and true match racing principles which they regularly deployed early on.  

Of course, if for once they can truly be aggressive and get their act together at the start that will help a great deal.

I wonder uf the piggy bank has run dry, we know they dont have the same budget as Oracle.

#36 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

For the general public it may not be over but for sailors and those in the know it's been won already.

OR - 10

ET - 8

#37 aucklander

aucklander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

OR - 10

ET - 8

Just keep banging that drum mate, i'm sure someone is listening. 

If the Kiwi's and Aussies driving the Software Company boat win tomorrow, I'll congratulate them - they'll be deserved winners.

OR got docked 2 points by an IJ selected to oversee the event, and because they were caught cheating.  But they've paid their penalty and they sit at 8 all.

Tomorrow, the most deserved team will win.

#38 0verlord

0verlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

OR - 10

ET - 8

You forgot to include the -2 to OR for that pesky being caught cheating...

#39 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

The Kiwis I've had the pleasure of sailing with have been nothing short of outstanding in every way . I do admit I have issues with some of the" fans " but that's part of the fun of forums . You should see some of my auto related forums these guys here are light weights :)

This one regatta certainly will not tell you who the best sailors are individually as the event is so much a tech challenge as much or more than a sailor challenge . What you are seeing lately is the fruits of a program that was timed perfectly to come online at the exact time as needed . Granted a little earlier would have been better but no doubt crashing B1 threw a monkey wrench into the schedule . Only Larry's continued support $$$ and intense focus by everyone involved pulled this off in time . One can only imagine how much faster OR would have been without that early mishap.

Much was made of the seemingly aimless pursuits that the OR Boyce's were making ,Jimmy getting a flight in a fighter jet for example seemed to really cause one ET fan a great deal of mental anguish , but this might just prove the old adage all work and no play ...
The boys have been fresh and driven when even needing to do the " impossible " and win eight in a row . Much fun was poked at JS ' s continued claims that they were still in it to win it and looking forward to the challenge . Does anyone here now doubt him ?

Personally I have very mixed emotions about tomorrow . As an American I am rooting for the home team but knowing a few Kiwi's as I do I honestly feel for them as well . For much of the US the AC is something they don't care about at all or are so used to having possession of it so the cup is taken for granted and if we happen to lose it oh we'll we wil get it back next time . As has been said before there are just too many other sports here to get involved and interested in and sailing is WAY down the list . Obviously this is not the case for NZ.

I guess the best result for me would that ET win tomorrow and take the cup home to a country that is living and breathing every moment of this possible tragedy . DB and company do not deserve the wrath that would befall them should they not manage to get one win in nine or so tries. A former crew mate would get to keep his job in the ETNZ management and continue to feed his wife and children and best of all we could come down and take it back in AC 35.

I would not feel bad with the OR " loss " as I think it has been clearly shown which program truly has the better results across the board . Had ET managed to hold the lead in the first race much of the furor over the penalty could have been averted . Now the only way that the Americas Cup 34 will not be know as the Asterisk Cup 34 is if OR continues its complete dominance and wins tomorrow .

I'm going to have mixed emotions when either of them cross that line tomorrow .

It's been quite a ride :)

#40 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

OR - 10
ET - 8
You forgot to include the -2 to OR for that pesky being caught cheating...

Actually it's sort of how they list it on the results page of the AC site :)

OR 10 wins 8 points

NZ 8 wins 8 points

http://www.americasc...sults-standings

#41 fireball

fireball

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

I don't think it matters who wants or needs to win the most. It's a sailing race and should be decided on the water.

Both teams have produced amazing boats and would be worthy winners.

It's been such a long and difficult regatta. I hope both teams sail well tomorrow and the best combination of boat and crew wins fair and square.

#42 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,454 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Closing up shop tomorrow and going down early

EPIC!

I won't. Just don't want either of these guys to lose like "this". Really...losing just seems too damn ugly for either of them now.

The outcome I would like is a little earthquake tonight that brought both those warehouses (and nothing else) down and crushed both boats to bits. It would then be decided there's nothing for it but to call it a draw and scheduled a new series for next summer...

#43 Abraxas3

Abraxas3

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

Anyone with a clue about the wind for today? There was talk yesterday about wind well above the upper limit.

#44 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the water

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

So , how's this for the next race......both boats stop.....all the non Americans leave the boat on to the NZ boat.....let the American sail,the last race to win.
The others can then go back to their home country without fear of a ruined rep.......

#45 imnotasailer

imnotasailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:rooting

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

sorry for my earlier remarks.

they where heat of the moment comments made after watching DB and RD lose another two races

nz does have the worlds best sailers but I feel we have maybe 2, but at least 1 that shouldn't be on our boat

I had respect for ray davis at the start of the ac, but I think that was because we had a faster boat and that may have made him look good?

I never thought dean barker should have been there. ive never meet him, don't know him, I bet he is a super nice guy but he buckles under pressure.  

over the last 6-7 days I have watched these two make mistake after mistake that I feel have almost cirtanly cost us the Americas cup. those two cant afford to make mistakes against oracal. they are now too fast. I feel they are the wrong people for the job who cant handle pressure at the top end of this sport. at this level you need to be able to make good, fast, correct decisions under pressure.

but who else could we have used?

our boat may be a bit slower now but come on, you have to admit there have been quite a lot of times over the last week that these two have cocked up and possibly/have cost us the race. the 1 race we have needed to win

my heart goes out to the other 9 on the boat grinding away, with no say, and  watching the enemy sail away when they only needed 1 more point more than a week ago

tomorrow is another day though and if these two get there shit together and do what john gault says then we have a very good chance of winning. we don't have any more luck, we used the last of that up at 44.8 degrees

tonight I will pray that DB an RD have been up till 4 am working together on everything they have got wrong, and right, and put into action tomorrow at 8.15 nz time. 4.5 million red socks wont help us win, only a top performance from dean barker and ray davis can saves us now.

do you believe they can?

Here's another one Oracle make there boat so light and fragile it all ends badly.

#46 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Well, just check the weather. Looks to be a blowout so won't be coming down.

We'll be there Monday.

May the best team win.

Really heartbreaking to see the Kiwi's not take it but it is my backyard so would love to see it stay in SF.

Good luck to both teams.

Go Oracle.

#47 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

NZ will be hoping for too much wind if they need time to make changes.? Surprisingly they could have used their card time and time again but perhaps their not calling for the card because they don't have any changes to make? How about calling in your card just to hope for a more suitable weather forecast? It seems a waste not using it, I'm sure they could do something..

#48 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,667 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think the no changes to make thing has been the issue for the last week. When asked what they're going to do before the next race we've regularly heard versions of..
From Jimmy "we'll go back lock at today race and make whatever changes we need to for tomorrow".
From Dean "we'll check the boat over then make sure we're all rested for tomorrows race."

#49 Dog

Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,616 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Based on this event alone it would seem to come down to either New Zealand or Australia.

#50 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

That's really not necessary. Besides, per capita I'm quite sure they do. Blake, Coutts etc. were/are legends.

Ab-so-fucking-lutely.....!!!

It's not over; Kiwis could still win today, or tomorrow, if today is too windy....

#51 bob202

bob202

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

I think the no changes to make thing has been the issue for the last week. When asked what they're going to do before the next race we've regularly heard versions of..
From Jimmy "we'll go back lock at today race and make whatever changes we need to for tomorrow".
From Dean "we'll check the boat over then make sure we're all rested for tomorrows race.".

I would put almost zero stock on what each of them say with regards to what they've done on their boats. Barker said much the same in one press conference and they showed up the next morning with big bits if fairing gone and replaced by trampoline. Talking about what they do/don't do is meaningless in the scheme of winning races - we're just seeing each of their efforts to play the public opinion game > Jimmy to talk up the team spirit and how hard they all work before having a group shower and towel-flicking session or whatever... Barker seems more media savvy in some respects - giving as little away as possible and covering for the likely frantic efforts that have gone on throughout the event.

I would put money on Oracle's changes being much much less physical than Jimmy makes out and much more control systems and team work/timing assessment type stuff.

#52 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Tad breezy this afternoon

Attached Files

#53 Big Puff

Big Puff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

What a contest... Go the kiwis, a few recent mistakes have undone some of the good stuff, new day tomorrow... Anything possible.

#54 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Are you going to watch Race 19? Or is it Race 17?

I lost track!

#55 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Are you going to watch Race 19?

Of course! On tv though, I'm on the wrong coast. I'm completely hooked. May not go off today though. Fingers crossed.

#56 Codybear

Codybear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

No matter who wins, this AC has been tainted.  If Oracle wins, NZ lost the AC because of the unrealistic time limit.  If NZ wins, Oracle lost the AC because of the 2 point penalty.  The winning team may be smiling, but they will always know they did not deserve it.

#57 PonderousPelican

PonderousPelican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

Humpf!

#58 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

Driving into my office this morning listening to my favorite morning radio show and all of a sudden they start talking about the America's Cup.  About the OR come back and even took a couple calls on it.  This is significant because this radio show doesn't usually get into much sports past the big 4 in the US, and even then it spends a lot of Most of their information was wrong, but the fact they were talking about it is both significant and hilarious at the same time.  It means the America's Cup is getting picked up nationally just in time for a sudden death race for the Cup.  Because of that this might very well be the most important day for the future of the Cup.  The facebook generation is going to be paying attention, or should I say a health fraction of the facebook generation will be watching.  Just enough to see fucking awsome boats flying around in the championship race.  Having said that, I hope todays race is the best of the lot.  It needs to be.

WetHog  :ph34r:

#59 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

No matter who wins, this AC has been tainted.  If Oracle wins, NZ lost the AC because of the unrealistic time limit.  If NZ wins, Oracle lost the AC because of the 2 point penalty.  The winning team may be smiling, but they will always know they did not deserve it.

There will be a * for this AC no matter what, but the bitching about the time limit race is a tad much.  ETNZ has been sitting on 8 wins for a while now.  They had plenty of opportunities to put OR away and failed to do it.  That, and there were more than just that 1 race called because of rules limits.  So ETNZ losing the AC because of a time limit doesn't wash, IMO.  And OR coming back from down 8-1 and winning the Cup twice on the water, if they win today, they will have more than deserved it.

#60 Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Was that 17 races or 19 races?  Just one more race will make my day.

clint-eastwood-dirty-harry.jpg

#61 razorback

razorback

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

I was beyond being a skeptic, I had totally lost interest.  But upon further consideration, I declare this to be the most fucking awesome thing ever televised.

#62 WhiteLightnin'

WhiteLightnin'

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Interests:Seriously, when was the last time you read the Constitution? Bill of Rights?

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

Now thats freakin funny!!

WL

#63 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Driving into my office this morning listening to my favorite morning radio show and all of a sudden they start talking about the America's Cup.  About the OR come back and even took a couple calls on it.  This is significant because this radio show doesn't usually get into much sports past the big 4 in the US, and even then it spends a lot of Most of their information was wrong, but the fact they were talking about it is both significant and hilarious at the same time.  It means the America's Cup is getting picked up nationally just in time for a sudden death race for the Cup.  Because of that this might very well be the most important day for the future of the Cup.  The facebook generation is going to be paying attention, or should I say a health fraction of the facebook generation will be watching.  Just enough to see fucking awsome boats flying around in the championship race.  Having said that, I hope todays race is the best of the lot.  It needs to be.

NPR radio had it in their national news updates, then I heard it on BBC world feed news last night.
Going mainstream for sure.

#64 jorgensen-online

jorgensen-online

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

... It means the America's Cup is getting picked up nationally just in time for a sudden death race for the Cup.  Because of that this might very well be the most important day for the future of the Cup.  

Los Angeles Times put an image and caption on the front page today. Image of Oracle with a hull in the water, a foiling one might have been better, but this one had quite a bit of spray.

#65 bgytr

bgytr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Was it 19 or only 17?

Seeing as how this is an AC 72, costs a cool  $100mil, and can foil past your 4 ktsb faster than you can wet yourself, you have to ask yourself just one question:

Do I feel lucky?

Well do ya? Punk?

#66 lungcathai

lungcathai

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Are they a sailing Team as well?

They just made history, like the 1986 Boston Red Sox and the 2004 NY Yankees.

#67 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

WL

BEAST of 17 i always thought!

#68 fallsailor

fallsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing, hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing, yoga, rum... girls that like that stuff too.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

How does tbe forecast look?

#69 flatearth

flatearth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

Media picking up the story the same way they did in '83 - 30 years ago.

And the reality of the Facebook generation is that it turned out to be something different than what Coutts thought it was. Social media generation more like it.

The only hope for wider TV audience has passed as NBC could have worked it up into prime time last night and went back to network broadcast today. The holy grail is still network broadcast over any other medium.

The winner today will have the responsibility of the future of the cup and there is a lot that could go wrong with either winner.

#70 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Wind at the marina green 17 mph @ 8:15am. Looking good for a complete cluster f**k!

...or I might just be able to make the racing...next monday!

#71 Cheap Beer

Cheap Beer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

You know what? I'd really rather not have either team lose today. They both have shown so much talent and class.Why can't we just decide this match in the pub with a drinking contest? I'm not sure I can watch. What a regatta!

#72 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

iwindsurf/sailflow - central bay forecast area is the race area

Meteorologist Forecast

San Francisco forecast valid for Wed, Sep 25 2013

Issued Wed, Sep 25 07:30:00 by meteorologist Benjamin Miller - Next scheduled update: 11:30 AM
Special updates issued as needed.

Stout NW flow continues with the Coast, Central Bay, and Peninsula seeing strong winds.

7:30AM UPDATE: The upper trough continues to sag and settle over the West Coast. Meanwhile, the surface low will wobble a bit to a position more over southern Nevada and pressure gradients from SFO to northern Nevada look to ease a bit while gradients from SFO to Bakersfield and SFO to Las Vegas increase. This means more of a NW cant to the winds. With the North Pacific High still bulking well off the coast, the NW winds across the ocean buoys will fill in to the coast and throughout the day. However, with brisk winds just aloft too, some Marin Headlands sites are reporting NW at 28 already, look for these to mix down and probably hamper wind quality for the East Bay. So, look for stout low to mid 20's peaks for the Central Bay, Peninsula, and Coast with the typical fall gustiness.

Sherman Island: Morning upper teens that ease slightly and rebuild to late day near 20's.

Coast: Waddell reaching NW mid to faint upper 20's. Bodega reaching around 20.

Peninsula: Coyote and 3rd Ave Channel reaching mid 20's with a shot at upper 20's. Candlestick reaching gusty low 20's. Palo Alto reaching near 20.

Central Bay: Crissy reaching solid low to even mid 20's, starting early and reaching right to the parking lot. Treasure Island reaching solid mid 20's. A bit gusty if you're reminiscing the steady summer winds, but not gusty if you look at the calendar and notice that it's late September.

East and North Bay: Berkeley likely reaching rather gusty low 20's, but UP and DOWN in nature and may die suddenly as winds funnel down across the Marin Headlands and hamper East Bay wind quality. Pt. Isabel mid to faint upper teens. Alameda up & down upper teens. Larkspur unfavorable with WNW upper teen peaks, more favorable for Rod & Gun.

#73 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

All news has AC, both The 30year win and pic shows original tow test model of AusII in background.

(This Museum did have AII on display while the Perth Museum was being built. This area shown had Miss Nylex the winged C Class hung off the roof along side the Jet Boat speed record holder Speedo.

Attached Files

#74 JimmyS

JimmyS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

WL

look at it this way,guys-you got 2 BONUS races to watch,,what more do you want?

and today you'll see who the -real- 'featherduster is :D

#75 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

Shit, I'm in a Go / No Go standby.

Should I go? Two hour drive.

Or is the wind limits going to kick in and we'll do this Monday?

#76 JimmyS

JimmyS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

You know what? I'd really rather not have either team lose today. They both have shown so much talent and class.Why can't we just decide this match in the pub with a drinking contest? I'm not sure I can watch. What a regatta!

I don't really feel the same way-maybe a bit biased on that,,

but you have to give Deano some credit for his humility in congratulating our comeback at the presser yesterday

#77 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Total class from Deano. Great crews, great boats, great racing.

Love the Nascar action James. I stare at my home waters and see this happening and can't wait to get back racing.

You need to do the Three Bridge Fiasco in January on the 45.

Bring it.

Racing today?

#78 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

And the reality of the Facebook generation is that it turned out to be something different than what Coutts thought it was. Social media generation more like it.

The only hope for wider TV audience has passed as NBC could have worked it up into prime time last night and went back to network broadcast today. The holy grail is still network broadcast over any other medium.

The winner today will have the responsibility of the future of the cup and there is a lot that could go wrong with either winner.

Driving into my office this morning listening to my favorite morning radio show and all of a sudden they start talking about the America's Cup. About the OR come back and even took a couple calls on it. This is significant because this radio show doesn't usually get into much sports past the big 4 in the US, and even then it spends a lot of Most of their information was wrong, but the fact they were talking about it is both significant and hilarious at the same time. It means the America's Cup is getting picked up nationally just in time for a sudden death race for the Cup. Because of that this might very well be the most important day for the future of the Cup. The facebook generation is going to be paying attention, or should I say a health fraction of the facebook generation will be watching. Just enough to see fucking awsome boats flying around in the championship race. Having said that, I hope todays race is the best of the lot. It needs to be.

WetHog

The difference today from the day of '83 and '87 is liveline and AC72's that look like the bat mobile on water flying around at 40mph powered by the wind. Two things that non-sailors can get into. Yes NBC Sports could of done a lot more to promote this, especially considering NBC Sports is now competing with Fox Sports 1 instead of just ESPN, but its beyond NBC Sports now. The time is ripe for the AC to finally get a little toe into the consciousness of mainstream sports in the US. Thats why I feel today's race is the most important in the history of the AC. There will never be a better opportunity to open eyes to the AC. Can the race live up to the hype? Tough to call.

WetHog :ph34r:

#79 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Driving into my office this morning listening to my favorite morning radio show and all of a sudden they start talking about the America's Cup.  About the OR come back and even took a couple calls on it.  This is significant because this radio show doesn't usually get into much sports past the big 4 in the US, and even then it spends a lot of Most of their information was wrong, but the fact they were talking about it is both significant and hilarious at the same time.  It means the America's Cup is getting picked up nationally just in time for a sudden death race for the Cup.  Because of that this might very well be the most important day for the future of the Cup. 

Back in the day the TV was fed to any networks that wanted it, since Australia1 we have had live racing on crucial races. All networks were flooded when Big bad Dennis had Bertrand & Co on the ropes. Locking in TV rights might raise some cash to keep the funtard bean counters happy, but it hinders the very thing that could generate a better return... but just not on the current ballance sheet as the pay off is next series(s)

#80 Codybear

Codybear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

There will be a * for this AC no matter what, but the bitching about the time limit race is a tad much.  ETNZ has been sitting on 8 wins for a while now.  They had plenty of opportunities to put OR away and failed to do it.  That, and there were more than just that 1 race called because of rules limits.  So ETNZ losing the AC because of a time limit doesn't wash, IMO.  And OR coming back from down 8-1 and winning the Cup twice on the water, if they win today, they will have more than deserved it.

If the time limit was 45 minutes, we would have never witnessed the great Oracle comeback.  Even before the first race of this regatta, I was bitching about the time limit.  This was because I was coming out for the first weekend and a high pressure was predicted to keep the winds light.  I knew then that if these boats don't foil, no one would finish in 40 minutes and thought how stupid it was to have such a short time limit when the intention was that these boats were never suppose to foil in the first place.  So as a tourist, I would have been pretty pissed off traveling to SF from Chicago for the weekend to watch four races not completed because of the time limit if the wind was only blowing 10 knots.  Fortunately, the predictions were wrong and all four races were completed.

#81 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

.....so very true!!!.....it would be lovely if all the partisan BS could go to one side,,,the victory is -everyone's!! :) :)

.........ROOSTERS FOR ALL!!

#82 The Gardener

The Gardener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

>

WL

look at it this way,guys-you got 2 BONUS races to watch,,what more do you want?

and today you'll see who the -real- 'featherduster is :D

It's like ping-pong we gotta win by2

#83 downspeedtack

downspeedtack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

Anyone have a good wind forecast? Four hours out now.

#84 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

If the time limit was 45 minutes, we would have never witnessed the great Oracle comeback.  Even before the first race of this regatta, I was bitching about the time limit.  This was because I was coming out for the first weekend and a high pressure was predicted to keep the winds light.  I knew then that if these boats don't foil, no one would finish in 40 minutes and thought how stupid it was to have such a short time limit when the intention was that these boats were never suppose to foil in the first place.  So as a tourist, I would have been pretty pissed off traveling to SF from Chicago for the weekend to watch four races not completed because of the time limit if the wind was only blowing 10 knots.  Fortunately, the predictions were wrong and all four races were completed.

Well good for you.  The wind limits and time limits have been endlessly debated here.  They happened.  They were in the rules.  A number of those rules were specific and intentional to not allow the RC leeway in deciding if a race could continue or not so that there could be no discussion of favoritism (like the debate over starting race 2 last time).  RC has some leeway on starting a race but once started it is either finished or abandoned by the rules with no ability to say "well, NZ (OR)  is leading so I'll let it continue."  

If OR hadn't cheated, it would have been over yesterday after race 1.  It isn't and we get to see a winner take all race.  

Let's quit bitching about coulda/shoulda/woulda and get to today's race.  

#85 blisspacket

blisspacket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

Is it possible to load up a wing as well as two hulls with helium?

#86 chauch

chauch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

ACWS was an EXHIBITION SERIES, OTUSA should already have the cup in their hands.  Doesn't matter, JIMMYS FUCKING GOT THIS.  Davies looks like hes about to cry ahahahahahah 

kenny-powers-american-flag-fuck-you.gif

While I'm not quite as confident as you are, that is one of the fucking funniest animated gif's ever.

#87 Finnfart

Finnfart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

OK guys.  I need weather info.   Just got the call from a friend who needs crew to go out and watch the race, and sail over to the pier for the celebration.

Damn...   And i have a web presentation tonight at midnight that isn't finished.

In years, I'll remember this, but not the presentation so you know where we're headed.  

But don't want to go up if its gettin blown out.

Any news?   Flood should help keep it going, but I need help.

#88 LOLPUNK

LOLPUNK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, skiing, hiking

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well as much as I want ETNZ to win, i guess it's not really probable, since OTUSA shown some superb boathandlin' and do they have port entry? I dont want Larry to be in control for another cycle (= no nationality rules, which sucks imo).

Hope dies last, Deano, wake up and win this shit.

#89 mikemt

mikemt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

forecast from the AC twitter feed: "forecast windy all day, building through afternoon. 20-25 knots. Slightly windier than yesterday." Limit is 24.4 knots.

#90 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Just the opposite for the flood, this adds to the wind speed threshold. 19 knts of wind plus a two knot flood will put them over the wind limit. An ebb would work the other way.

#91 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

From SailFlow
Blue forecast line is WRAMS 1km
Disregard the gray "Quicklook" line.

Attached Files

#92 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Just the opposite for the flood, this adds to the wind speed threshold. 19 knts of wind plus a two knot flood will put them over the wind limit. An ebb would work the other way.

Wind limit is 24knts now I believe.

#93 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Is it possible to load up a wing as well as two hulls with helium?

..THAT'S IT!!!!

...the photo below CLEARLY show's that OR doesn't use a crane to launch,,just pull-down lines!!!! :blink: :o

http://instagram.com/p/esGJ_YR0Sx/

#94 Micke

Micke

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

From the official feed:
**Note: Racing will continue on Thursday if necessary.

#95 mili

mili

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

I know this is not the thread about it, but I'm going to say it now. I've been watching replays of the last races and its amazing the change in TO. I think there's something more than  tunning, and improving the handling of the boat. The way the boat pops up from the water makes. A video was posted yesterday and the difference was incredible. (Can't remember the thread). Apart from sailing issues, something about the foils was debugged, will see it when the race finishes.

#96 kitemare

kitemare

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Let go Oracle Team Ameristralia

JPNrqig.png

#97 foulbottom

foulbottom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Pulling the kid out of school and heading to the waterfront for the final.  Whichever way it goes - thanks to both teams for awesome boats and spectacular racing!

#98 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

I know this is not the thread about it, but I'm going to say it now. I've been watching replays of the last races and its amazing the change in TO. I think there's something more than  tunning, and improving the handling of the boat. The way the boat pops up from the water makes. A video was posted yesterday and the difference was incredible. (Can't remember the thread). Apart from sailing issues, something about the foils was debugged, will see it when the race finishes.

...oracle cheating revealed!!!........  http://forums.sailin...howtopic=151308

#99 Love2Sail

Love2Sail

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

In my opinion this has been one of the most incredible Americas Cups in my memory. It is purely amazing that we are sitting at an 8-8 tie (on points). I find it rather sad however that we are here for one and only one reason. The fact that Artemis racings EPIC FAIL and the tragic death of Bart Simpson led to the wind limits being changed. I have always been (see the many threads) against changing the rules after an event has started. This is the AC and to me the start is way before the first race, there is a very large design race as well. We would not even be here today at this point if the rules were never changed. ETNZ would have taken the cup home last week, as no races would have been called due to wind.

These things did however happen so here we are. Best of luck to both teams lets see one more fantastic race!

#100 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Wind limit is 24knts now I believe.

I stand corrected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users