Anyone going to the Kiwi Spirit christening?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Greyhound37

Greyhound37

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Sailing, running and wine.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

97.jpg 

Final Preparations Underway at Lyman-Morse for

Stanley Paris' Record Breaking Circumnavigation

Join Us for a Send Off at Lyman-Morse Boatbuilding
Expected date and time is noon Monday, September 30th
Please contact the yard to confirm 207-354-6904 
or check our Facebook page.

It is count down time here for Stanley Paris and Team Lyman-Morse as we make final preparations to Kiwi Spirit for Stanley Paris' record breaking attempt of the solo round the world record in a cruising boat. Paris will set sail for St. Augustine, Florida from Thomaston on Monday, September 30. He will start the circumnavigation from St. Augustine, Florida November 30th.

Check out this video of the mast stepping: 

A lot has happened in the two years since Paris started his pursuit. In the past year, two of the four records that Paris had on his list have been challenged and perhaps broken. The first of these is the oldest person for a non-stop and non-assisted circumnavigation. It was 56-year-old Dodge Morgan, but now it's Jean Socrates, a UK citizen and resident of Canada, who after 25,000 miles and 259 days at sea, at the age of 70, has become the oldest person to sail solo around the world non-stop. Paris at 76 will be older.

111.jpg 

And then the speed record was possibly broken in what could be called a cruising boat when Guo Chan, a Chinese citizen, completed the voyage in 137 days breaking the 150-day record of Dodge Morgan earlier this summer. There is some question with this record, as he sailed from China and back and, like Jean Socrates, did not do the traditional passing under all five capes. Regardless, Paris now intends to do it in 130 days or less.

Here are the records Stanley is attempting to break:

• Oldest to solo circumnavigate, non-stop and non-assisted - 76
  • First to complete a green voyage - no gas, diesel, propane, etc
  • Break the 150-day record from Bermuda and back
  • Establish a St. Augustine and back record via Bermuda.

Since Kiwi Spirit, hull 1 of the Paris 63 designed by Farr Yacht Design, was launched November 2012, Paris has won line honors during the 2013 Bermuda One Two. Sailing solo, Stanley was the first to finish the demanding 630-mile race from Newport, Rhode Island to Bermuda by some six hours. For both the boat and the sailor it was their first "serious" race. Twenty-three boats started but only sixteen finished. One developed a loose keel and the captain was rescued before the boat sunk. The others turned back because of the heavy weather, but Kiwi Spirit plowed on, remaining on course for a comfortable line-honors victory. On the return leg, Dr. Paris was accompanied by his son, Alan, a 1995 veteran of the event and who subsequently went on to enter and complete the 2002 "Around Alone" circumnavigation. At the finish line off Newport, Kiwi Spirit, a true performance cruiser, was some eight and a half hours ahead of the second place finisher.

"I have to be very satisfied with the outcome," said Paris. "It is my first single and double-handed race, and while I made a bunch of mistakes that caused delays in sail handling, and sometimes the wrong choices of sails, I am learning with each decision. I am quite confident that Farr Yacht Design drew what I wanted and that Lyman-Morse built a strong and reliable yacht. I have confidence in both and that is critical when you are pushing the limits as I did in this event."

113.jpg

Next up was the 363-mile Marblehead to Halifax Classic. This annual race is designed for heavily crewed boats. Paris and Kiwi Spirit double-handed this race and were pleased with the outcome of 14th place. "Some have as many as 16 crew members on board, and those that came in before us had on average some eight to twelve crew members," said Paris.  "So we did very well with just two of us to come in 14th place. The next boat with only two crew members is yet to finish, eight hours after we finished."  

Since then Kiwi Spirit has been at Lyman-Morse to prepare for the circumnavigation. Kiwi Spirit has had her insides cleaned out, resulting in more space to handle sails and gear and just as importantly, to reduce her weight by several hundred pounds. Beds, toilets, pots and pans, clothing, drawers and doors are all going into storage.  The mast and rigging have been removed and inspected for wear and tear. Ditto for the keel and the sails. Another round ofsea trials will begin next week and then Paris will sail to St. Augustine arriving mid-October. In those last six weeks before departure, Paris plans to sail about three to four days a week to practice different maneuvers and techniques. With ten days to go Paris will provision the boat and host several receptions for those who wish to see the boat in its "battle" configuration.

Thanksgiving weekend, Paris will leave on Saturday, November 30th on the high tide at 4:00pm.  For more info:  go to http://www.lymanmors...s.php?boatID=81 orhttp://stanleyparis.com/  

114.jpg

#2 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

What is point in all this? I mean 'fastest circumnavigation in a cruising boat' WTF? Why not go for the slowest circumnavigation in a racing yacht? Or just go sailing - for the hell of it and for yourself. I understand young people wanting to attention whore and kickstart their careers by being a 'first' but really old fella - just go sailing dude and enjoy it. Who needs all the other shit that goes with this kind of thing. Mind you I do have my own goal. I want to be the oldest man still having sex. Might need a sponsor too.

#3 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

And he should do it in a valiant 40, not what appears to be some kind of open 63 with a galley and a sofa. Cruising boat? Now that is funny!

#4 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:38 AM

Good work being 76 and going around solo and good luck.

#5 elcarajo

elcarajo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Also kayaking and mountain biking

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:19 AM

I've been checking Kiwi Spirit out as she's been tied up in Rockland.  Gorgeous boat.  I'd be there Monday but I think my overlords wouldn't appreciate it.

Cheers, and God be with you, Dr Paris.

#6 Total Slacker

Total Slacker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

Looks like he's abandoning his effort and heading for Cape Town.

#7 Pointy End

Pointy End

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

You're Right...It's Official.

Farr Yacht Design recommends "Please make the prudent decision and stop your attempt"

Dodge Morgan, Ted Hood and American Promise can rest easy....For Now.

#8 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

That sucks especially seeing as though he says he's not giving it another go. Big call to pack it up and ship it home.

Anyone got said pics of failure?

#9 knockabout

knockabout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Too bad. His blog isn't very clear on the cause of his decision. Something about a boom end and mainsheet failure, maybe some other things, along with an injury. Sucks to see him have to pull the plug. 

#10 Torsten

Torsten

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

The fella from Farr says "the design of the rigging attachments to the yacht were inadequate for ocean sailing", but they surely they designed it to a well known spec, and LM would have spec'd everything properly?!  

He also says "the widespread failures across so many systems", so I wonder what else is stuffed?

Hope he gets to CT ok.

#11 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:19 AM

On his blog he said he was having trouble with main sail track.

Begs a few questions!!! Looks like he's had it a while and recent round of works was a just a refit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users