Calibrate TWS on B&G?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 frejo

frejo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:My kids, my wife and our Baltic 35.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I suppose that it should be possible to calibrate TWS on a Hydra 2000-system?! But I don't even get the CALBRATE-menu when the FFD is in TWS mode. I'm running 9.3 in both wind board and depth board and 9.0 in the FFD. Any ideas?

/frejo

#2 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

Do you have access to the CALBRATE-menu on other functions (TWA, AWA...)?

#3 frejo

frejo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

I do have access to the CALBRATE-menu on functions like speed and temp. I'm not sure on other wind functions like AWA or TWA.

#4 us7070

us7070

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

i don't know about the Hydra, but in general on B&G, you are not supposed to calibrate TWS..

on B&G  Hercules, you mostly change the look-up tables for TWS correction, but i'm not sure Hydra has that function

still, on Hercules, the calibration function is there  - in the calibrate menu... 

I would make sure you write down whatever the value is before you change anything.

#5 frejo

frejo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

Problem is my TWS readings are crazy and that I don't have a CALBRATE menu in TWS. I will try to reset the wind board and see what happens. It seems like my B&G trouble never will end...

Thanks for your answers

#6 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hydra has the TWS calibration function. But it's only for upwash correction, meaning you can only enter correction values for downwind TWS, so that you don't see a sudden increase in TWS when turning downwind. Otherwise, you can't calibrate TWS. It's all in the Hydra manual.

#7 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

Another thought: since TWS is calculated from Boat Speed, AWA and AWS, it can only be correct when these values are measured and calibrated correct. Maybe worth checking?

#8 LeCanard

LeCanard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Collecting money. Not very successful at it, though.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

FOI. The true windspeed calibration option doesn't exist for m/s. It needs to be done in knots.

frejo's problem is that despite no boatspeed there is an abnormal difference between apparent and true windspeed. Hence the need to access the calibration tables to see and possible restore the values to 0, in order to start from scratch.

Mebbe just a node 5 reset will solve everything.

/LC

#9 GnarlyItWas

GnarlyItWas

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:39 AM

Yep, reset the wind board.

Then make sure that AWA, AWS ( don't try to calibrate ) boat speed and heading are all good. These are your raw data functions, if any of these are out true wind will be out of whack.

With no calibration true wind should be in the ball park if these are right. Calibrating true wind is normally a matter of a few degrees. If it is crazy check the raw data functions. If these are good and true wind is still crazy make sure that it hasn't got crazy figure for damping 5-8 seconds is about right. Some times the system makes a crazy damping figure all on it's own.

#10 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

H2000 Hydra does not have the ability to calibrate the TWS.  Only Hercules has a TWS calibration table for downwind.  I assume you are seening TWS accelerations downwind.

#11 micha571

micha571

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

H2000 Hydra does not have the ability to calibrate the TWS.  Only Hercules has a TWS calibration table for downwind.  I assume you are seening TWS accelerations downwind.

Miles, are you sure about that? The Hydra 2000 manual states that you can calibrate TWS for upwash:

http://www.chicagoma...a/Hydra2004.pdf

(page 3-23)

#12 frejo

frejo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

It seems like TWS readings will be crazy, in my case showing up to 40 knots when calm, if both wind and depth board have been reset, as I had done earlier, and there has not been any speed reading after this reset. Since the boat now is on the hard I just took the log for a spin and the TWS went from 40 to 0 in a second and now it seems to work like a charm.

And just as LC mentions, I do not have a TWS CALBRATE menu in M/S, only in knots. Strange...

Hopefully all will work now and considering that my pilot has never worked as it should this will be a relief.

Thank you for all your input!

/frejo

#13 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

Miles, are you sure about that? The Hydra 2000 manual states that you can calibrate TWS for upwash:

http://www.chicagoma...a/Hydra2004.pdf

(page 3-23)

Hydra 2000 will allow you to calibrate the TWA, and some of the TWS, but not set the downwind angles as the H2000 Hercules will allow you to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users