What is the new Velocitek they are teasing?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,469 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:37 AM

JBSF,

On the ProStart, the display refresh rate is 2 Hz. The GPS is a 4 Hz position update rate.

On the Shift, the display refresh rate is 4 Hz. The solid-state sensors (3-axis magnetometer, 3-axis gyro, and 3-axis accelerometer) are taking measurements in real time. Because the Shift is electronically gimbaled by a gyro and accelerometer, it is able to isolate heading and ignore pitch, roll, and other inertial effects. The Shift has no dampening. As a result you won't notice the delay in your heading associated with other stand alone compasses.

Compared to the Shift, the ProStart heading may lag a little. However, the ProStart should be on par (or very close to it) with other compasses and paddlewheel boatspeed units which are usually dampened.

Excellent, thank you.  I just need to go down to the boat and try to figure out what mast brackets I need now and if there is room for both.  PM is headed your way.  Thanks for you help.

#102 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Viper 640 #18

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

I sold my Race Master to a buddy and bought a Shift. I really like it, and the combo of the two. It took a bit of work to get the brackets mounted to an intermediate nylon rectangle, which was then attached to my carbon mast mount that many of us have in the Viper 640 class.

#103 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,469 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

I sold my Race Master to a buddy and bought a Shift. I really like it, and the combo of the two. It took a bit of work to get the brackets mounted to an intermediate nylon rectangle, which was then attached to my carbon mast mount that many of us have in the Viper 640 class.

Do you have a pic of that mount setup by any chance?

#104 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

I'll try to run down and take a few photos today. I also did a sketch for a different mast mount design that I've sent to the Viper sailor who makes these mast mounts. I'll see if I can post that too.

BTW, if you buy both for a mounting setup like I describe, you might also want the bulkhead standoffs, or at least some extra nylon spacers from your local hardware store for the back of the Shift mount.

Cheers,

jason

#105 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,469 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

I'll try to run down and take a few photos today. I also did a sketch for a different mast mount design that I've sent to the Viper sailor who makes these mast mounts. I'll see if I can post that too.

BTW, if you buy both for a mounting setup like I describe, you might also want the bulkhead standoffs, or at least some extra nylon spacers from your local hardware store for the back of the Shift mount.

Cheers,

jason

Thanks, I would definitely be interested in seeing those.  

As for the shift, what are the extra spacers for?

#106 Streetwise

Streetwise

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 04:08 AM

Here is my current setup:

Attached File  IMG_0121.jpg   59.45K   38 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0122.jpg   46.43K   46 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0127.jpg   46.43K   37 downloads

Here is my quick sketch of a custom mast mount that would simplify things:

Attached File  IMG_0114.jpg   36.11K   32 downloads

#107 ols

ols

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Just thought I'd add a post for another possible DIY bracket for mounting both the Shift and Prostart together on a solid round mast. In case anyone else is wondering about using the TackTick strap bracket for the Shift, the mount holes do not already line up.  You can put a plexiglass rectangle on the TackTick bracket and then attach the Shift bracket to the plexiglass (using the standoffs.)  However, the Shift bracket screws just barely clear the outside edges of the Tacktick bracket so there's not enough room to fit locknuts behind the plexiglass.  Fortunately, the screws had enough grip that I was able to tighten the Shift bracket and simply put a small dab of thickened epoxy on the end of each one to hold them in place  :rolleyes:  (A  better solution might be to use a thicker piece of plexiglass than I did and tap these holes / use thread locker, but I was too lazy.)  Finally, two strips of plexiglass cut and bolted in place hold the two Tacktick brackets together and keep the Shift and ProStart in the same plane.  Mounting to the mast uses two velcro straps and works just the same as the single Prostart/Tacktick bracket.

Attached Files

#108 madboutcats

madboutcats

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:43 AM

Here is my quick sketch of a custom mast mount that would simplify things:

attachicon.gifIMG_0114.jpg

I have made more complicated mounts than that out of pvc pipe, just cut the pvc to length, cut down the middle heat with heat gun, put around mast, hold to shape, heat overhanging bits and bend to make tabs that are a bit recessed from the mast then when you use bungy loops to connect the front panel, it tightens into place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users