Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Very french.

From their facebook page

"44 duets, four classes and four winners

From Friday October 25th Le Havre’s Paul Vatine Basin will see one of the strongest fleets muster for the Transat Jaques Vabre, the two handed race across the Atlantic, for twenty years. Not since 1993 has there been a racing fleet as big and as strong. 
25 Class40 - 6 Multi50 - 10 IMOCA - 3 MOD70."

Seems that the Class40 is doing the right things to get a fleet.

And the official page.

#2 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

Working on getting there to cover it.  

good times

#3 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:39 AM

Interesting duo in the C40:

Mike Gascoyne en Brian Thompson.

And good to see Pella back too.

Good fleet with lots of foreigners, nice.

Imoca, I see 4 very strong teams...

Bring it on, I need a sailing fix.

#4 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

In imoca i see 4 strong teams - prb, safran, cheminees, maitre coq - and one winner - macif

Why reichers racing the 40 and not the 60?

#5 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

11Th Hour Racing all the way!

11Th Hour Racing all the way!

#6 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

In imoca i see 4 strong teams - prb, safran, cheminees, maitre coq - and one winner - macif

AFAIK Reichers usually races the 40

I think someone has the beating of Macif in them- maybe Beyou

#7 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

Further delay. Not tomorrow (Monday), maybe not even Thursday. 

http://www.transat-j...t-jacques-vabre

Compte-tenu des conditions météo très difficiles dans la nuit de lundi à mardi (jusqu’à 50 nœuds et une mer très formée), la direction sportive en concertation avec l’organisation a pris la décision de reporter le départ de demain lundi à une date ultérieure (la date de jeudi n’est pas encore une certitude). La transatlantique en double dont la particularité et la force résident dans son caractère multi-classes joue également la carte de la solidarité pour que la flotte entière puisse participer à l’épreuve dans les meilleures conditions possibles.

Manfred Ramspacher (directeur sportif de la Transat Jacques Vabre)

« La direction sportive et l’ensemble de l’organisation ont décidé de reporter le départ dans une situation favorable qui pourrait-être jeudi. Des vents entre 30 et 50 nœuds qui pourraient mettre en danger les skippers et leurs bateaux sont attendus dans la nuit de lundi à mardi. Un départ demain du Havre se serait fait dans des conditions musclées, et avec une incertitude au raz Blanchard, également au passage de Ouessant, et un début de golfe de Gascogne très difficile.

Nous sommes bien conscients que d’autres classes comme les IMOCA auraient pu prendre le départ. Mais notre préoccupation principale demeure la sécurité des équipages. Notre décision est donc sur ce report.

Notre volonté première, c’est d’avoir le maximum de bateaux à Itajaí, et nous nous donnons le moyen d’y arriver. Il faut accepter cette solidarité dans l’épreuve. Le créneau de mercredi ou jeudi n’est pas une certitude aujourd’hui. Nous pensons que cela peut passer, mais cela reste encore incertain. Les MOD 70 sont toujours dans le scénario de mercredi ou jeudi, on le fera en concertation avec eux. »

#8 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

With a worsening forecast for difficult weather thorough Monday night into Tuesday and immediately thereafter, (squalls to 50kts) the race direction of the Transat Jacques Vabre have decided to postpone tomorrow’s (Monday’s) scheduled start to a later date.

On current forecasts Thursday is considered a possibility. The double handed race across the Atlantic from Le Havre to Itajaí, Brazil has a strong legacy as a multi class event and the race directors are resolute in  their determination that the entire four classes fleet compete in the best possible conditions. 

Manfred Ramspacher ( sporting director ) explained: 
"The event sport direction the entire organization has made the decision to postpone the start until a more favourable situation arrives, which could be Thursday.”

“Winds 30 to 50 knots which could endanger the skippers and their boats are forecast. We are well aware that classes such as IMOCA could start. But our main concern is the overall safety of the crews.” 

“Our decision is based on the forecast that we could get away from Le Havre  but with difficult conditions and some uncertainly at the ras Blanchard, at  Ushant, and some very difficult conditions at the start of the Bay of Biscay. 
Our first aim is to ensure we can get maximum number of boats finishing Itajai.” 

“We must maintain this solidarity in the event. The possibility of starting Wednesday or Thursday not for certain. We think it can happen, but it is still uncertain. The MOD 70 are still programmed to start on Wednesday or Thursday, we will decide in consultation with them.
An IMOCA race  might have been able to start, and I can understand their disappointment, but we are a multi-class race."

Manfred Ramspacher (Sport Director): "We have decided to postpone the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre."

http://www.transat-j...20131103_uk.mp3

#9 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

There looks to be a big-ass low coming down the Bay of Biscay on Saturday, so if they can't get it started on Tuesday then I don't know that they will be able to get it done this week.

Autumn in France.  Always interesting.

#10 Al.

Al.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

The Caterham team is very interesting. Mike's got solo crusing experience but as far as I gather little solo/short handed racing experience. Nice boat, had a look around it at the Southampton boat show.

#11 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,026 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

The Caterham team is very interesting. Mike's got solo crusing experience but as far as I gather little solo/short handed racing experience. Nice boat, had a look around it at the Southampton boat show.

He should have a big learning curve with Brian Thompson on board though.

#12 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

The Class 40s got added to the TJV as the other fleets are shrinking, but are dictating the format of the start as well as the permissible weather for starting in for all the competitors.  

In order to keep things reasonable for fans and public, I think they need to have their own races, one, so that they get the media they deserve, and two so that the starts of the more capable, professional classes are not unduly delayed...

#13 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,026 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

The Class 40s got added to the TJV as the other fleets are shrinking, but are dictating the format of the start as well as the permissible weather for starting in for all the competitors.  

In order to keep things reasonable for fans and public, I think they need to have their own races, one, so that they get the media they deserve, and two so that the starts of the more capable, professional classes are not unduly delayed...

Wouldn't that just 'water down the TJV event'? Events with very few entries seem to struggle getting good and continued coverage, especially if half the fleet gets damaged early on, as has happened on previous Transat events.

#14 420

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Because his 60 is currently being modified and getting a new bow with more volume

#15 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

Maybe. Watch for Marc and Pascal on Safran.

#16 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

Wouldn't that just 'water down the TJV event'? Events with very few entries seem to struggle getting good and continued coverage, especially if half the fleet gets damaged early on, as has happened on previous Transat events.

Yup !                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           It's the circus in Le Havre which justifies funding of the organisation, while the IMOCA - fighting for survival - is no longer big enough for filling the basin. The same goes for the Multi 50 v/s MOD 70.

Raising money from town-councils has its own backfires:

Requesting boats to lie in the marina/basin well in advance to drive in more week-end visitors.

Starting on a bank-holiday week-end, even if it is late into the season and .... at the exact time of spring tides.

Running the course through a treacherous and overcrowded Channel, because Le Havre is relatively close to Paris and millions of potential visitors.

In other words: marketing constraints increase the risks of postponements, when too many incidents in the early hours, and too many calls for rescue could put the future of racing at risk in a Nanny-state, not talking about the organisers' liability.

This is a money-consuming business and it has tough rules besides the sport                                            

#17 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Nice boat, had a look around it at the Southampton boat show.

Wonder if they've got their data logging/rig tension measuring traffic light thingy working. And whether they find it useful?

Attached File  WP_20130918_002.jpg   52.78K   57 downloads

#18 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Mostly ocean racing.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Maybe. Watch for Marc and Pascal on Safran.

My money is on Beyou and Prat. Will be fun to watch.. also looking forward to updates coming back from Sidney on Oman Air.

#19 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hard to bet against F & M.  Gabard hasn't lost a race in a while!

#20 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Strangely, in the Class 40, I find myself rooting for the fugly ass 40 Concise.  I didn't really want to, but my brain automatically put them in the "underdog" category, probably because of the out of box design.  So now I'm pulling for them.

Of course my heart lies with 11th Hour racing.  

There are a lot of 40's who can win.  I'm putting Peitro D'Ali's team on that list.  

I hope we can see all the Multi 50's finish.  That would be a big success for that class, besides having a bunch of competitive boats on the line finally.

#21 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

I wouldn't call concise the underdogs, with a budget like that they have no place as underdogs. 

#22 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

That's where I'm putting them.  I've got my own ranking system, which apparently takes aesthetics into consideration.  Of course they have great sailors and budget.  Plenty of the 40's do though.

#23 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Hard to bet against F & M.  Gabard hasn't lost a race in a while!

Well, maybe.

Depends on whether Francois can continue to keep his boat in one piece. He did that pretty successfully in the VG, but I'm thinking his 'luck' may change.

#24 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Here we go. 

The IMOCA class seems to have had a bit of a revival, and it's great to see the multi50 finally having decent numbers starting

#25 GoFish

GoFish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

Some newer Class 40s in Le Havre

Attached Files

#26 GoFish

GoFish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Fantastica, Consise8

Attached Files

#27 GoFish

GoFish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Tales 2, Mare

Attached Files

#28 GoFish

GoFish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Attached Files

#29 GoFish

GoFish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Attached Files

#30 GoFish

GoFish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Vaquita, GDF Suez

Attached Files

#31 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

The weather guns of November strike again. C40s to pause in Roscoff. 

http://www.transat-j...s-40s-confirmed

On the strength of the latest weather files this morning Race Direction of the Transat Jacques Vabre have decided that the Class 40 crews will stop in the port of Bloscon at Roscoff to avoid the impact of a big gale in the Bay of Biscay.

Racing at slightly slower speeds than the other three classes in the 5400 miles race from Le Havre to Itajaí, Brazil – the MOD70 and Multi 50 multihulls and the bigger IMOCA Open 60’s – the Class 40’s would have hit the worst of the gale force winds which are expected for the Bay of Biscay. The other three classes should have made it further down the course by the time the worst of the weather hits.

The weather conditions for today’s start are promising and will be favourable for the exit out of the Channel today, getting out of the Seine Bay, passing through the Raz de Blanc NW of the Cotentin peninsula and the Channel Islands. But the conditions will increase significantly as they pass through the weather trough and feel the effects of a new, big depression coming in from the Atlantic.

Both of the MOD70’s should pass ahead of this weather system without too many potential problems, while the IMOCA Open 60’s and Multi 50’s will have stronger winds, gusts to 40kts and over, before Cape Finisterre. The 40’s would have had winds of 50-60kts on Saturday morning.

While the other classes head to the Spanish point to catch the anticyclone that is forming there which will strengthen to produce good downwind conditions down the Portuguese coast over the weekend, Class 40 will be held in Roscoff until the weather clears sufficiently. The detour from the rhumb line course for the Class 40’s is around six miles. The boats will then depart in order of arrival across a line there, set off by the race committee at the time deltas corresponding to their arrival.

Crews are not allowed to take on supplies, to have any outside technical assistance. Boats may stop before Roscoff taking the same time duration plus two hours. The stop in Roscoff for the 26 Class 40’s should last around 24 hours

#32 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

And they're off. 

http://tracking.tran...re.com/fr/live/

3JML8698.jpg

#33 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

Safran showing some early pace.

#34 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Would like to see Safran win, that boat is just awesome

#35 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

The Class 40's are really tough boats.  Tougher than the 60's.  I don't think they should be stopping.  They are sucking an important element out of this kind of racing.  

#36 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

I am so fucking glad that circumstances kept me home for the TJV and Mini Transat this time around.

#37 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

The Class 40's are really tough boats.  Tougher than the 60's.  I don't think they should be stopping.  They are sucking an important element out of this kind of racing.  

Agreed. 

The 60s really don'e need another race with few finishers at this point, and we could be looking at one at the moment..

#38 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

Certainly they seem tougher than the 50' multis, maybe the the thing is that they are slower and could not avoid the worst of the weather ?

#39 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

As ever im impressed with stamm. He had a really bad start butvhas managed to pull through the fleet to third. I hope he chases down macif for the win and keeps his boat together.

Brian thompson doing a good job of dragging mike gascoyne along

#40 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:sailing of course

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

12 miles ahead already for Macif.
Quite impressive

#41 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

The two MOD 70s are so closely matched, they are pretty much racing side by side..... awesome.....

#42 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Heavy conditions: http://vimeo.com/78946718

#43 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

Very bad in deed. They were badly luffed by Maitre Coq at the start and catched the start buoy anchor line, which broke and and entangled around the keel. They had to do a 360. Later, Stamm had to put the wetsuit on and dive to untangle the line (and weight), see http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gele7JIWhp0 . Last place far behind the IMOCA fleet. Now they are already 3rd.

Edit: See the situation in the picture of post 32. The buoy is at the stern of Cheminees Poujolat. :-(

As ever im impressed with stamm. He had a really bad start butvhas managed to pull through the fleet to third. I hope he chases down macif for the win and keeps his boat together.

#44 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Wow. Impressive stuff! 

#45 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

and during this time, Macif already 57nm ahead. Must be figaro style inside !

#46 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Figaro style?

#47 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

12 miles ahead already for Macif.
Quite impressive

Told ya.  Gabard is every inch as good as Desjoyeaux, and they are both better than anyone in IMOCA right now.  Gabard has already done so much, but his career is going to be something to watch.

#48 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

The above vid didn't embed for some reason.

#49 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

It appears that way. They are sailing at a differant level than the fleet. Mich has has shown he can do that many times. He does get beaten occasionally, but when hes winning, it seems really hard to find a passing lane for the guys behind. They are a killer combination.

I can't see on my phone, but is there a huge wind/ sea state out there? It looks like the multi 50s are slowing down while the imocas are able to push harder. Safety first?

#50 Corley_

Corley_

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

The Multi50 Maitre Jacques has retired with float bow damage and is now headed to Corunna in Spain under their own power.  Too bad as it looked like it was going to be an epic battle between the first four Multi50's. 

#51 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

That sucks. The 50's are my favorite class. They are the Class 40 of ocean racing trimarans. Unfortunately they still seem a bit fragile, though less than ORMAs were. I wish they could get the Irens boat up to speed. It's a fast (and beautiful) offshore 50 and could be in the hunt.

#52 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

The Multi50 Maitre Jacques has retired with float bow damage and is now headed to Corunna in Spain under their own power.  Too bad as it looked like it was going to be an epic battle between the first four Multi50's. 

Actually, the front fell off.

There are pdics in the site.

#53 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

Figaro style?

By "figaro style" I mean fighting for every tenth of a knot, not sleeping, being at the helm and on the sheets all the time ... like for "la solitaire du figaro".
And it is what seems to have allow them to pass the front more easily than for the others, and put the pedal down first

#54 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

First "leg"  (I am not wild about the stop over) for the Class 40's was some good racing.  There is some scary talent in that fleet this year.

Three defining stages to the first leg, and you can see them in the playback:

1. At the start.  Coming around the first mark which was a mark placed a couple of miles north east of the start that gave fans on shore the chance to see the boats up close.  The pack rounded the mark in a bunch, and then the back of the pack eased off to the north to find a lane.  And that put them directly under the big, black cloud that shut them down.
  2. Coming up to the east side of the Breton peninsula, below Barfleur.  Every one had tacked off the beach to the north.  Then the lead pack tacked up under the lee of the peninsula to get shelter from the flood tide coming up the channel. Those that stayed on the course well off the shore suffered for the choice.
  3. After Cherbourg, approaching Guernsey.  You saw GCF coming from third place or so and watch them make a small move to the north.  It put them in the current, and then gave them the advantage of being (marginally) furthest NW so they got the freshening breeze first,.  And gave them the edge to squirt out into the front of the pack for what turned into a reach to the harbor.

This is going to be some very exciting racing in the Class 40 fleet.  These guys are very, very good. 

#55 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Wow. MACIF is blowing off the Multi50's. That IMOCA60 is a rocket ship, alright. Go Francois and Mich.

And what about Alessandro? Team Plastique is the oldest (fixed keel) IMOCA60's in the fleet and he's got that thing flying. Very cool.

Edited by Sailbydate, 09 November 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#56 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

What happenned to Stamm through the night. ?
He lost all is superb of yesterday

#57 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

No idea, seems to be a very tight bunch of the second group of 60s so might have just sailed into a hole. MACIF is just taking off, way faster than even the multis at the moment

#58 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Problem on one of Macif's rudder.

They are in Portugal, next to Cascais for a pit stop since 3PM french time

#59 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

Do they get a penalty for that popo?  Shades of BWR again.

#60 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

Nasty. saw them heading over there and it looked a bit weird. 

How long will they have to stop for? 

Firstly to fix the problem, secondly if they must take a penalty

#61 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Class 40's are heading into some soft stuff.  Might get some fleet compression.    If it goes light, this could be a painful trip across the Bay of Biscay in some really lumpy crap left over from the front moving through.

#62 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

They say nothing about a penalty on the (very shitty) TJV website, nor on Macif's one.
A multi 50 already stopped in Brest to fix sails and aerials, and apparently no penalty was given.

For the BWR, they have to stay 24 or 48 jours (don't remember) in case of pitstop, more cause it's a rtw race, and you could have an advantage to bring less found and fuel, and refuel quickly at some caps, here, on 3 weeks, no real advantage I think.

For the rudder, it has been damages by an UFO, If there was a penalty given, I think they would have tryed to change it by themselves

#63 tacksea

tacksea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Live from "Initiatives-coeur " ( in French )

http://initiatives-c...ques-vabre/live

#64 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hmm not sure if I agree with no penalty being given but good to see boats are allowed stop- I think the non-stop aspect of the Vendee is brilliant and is part of what makes the race what it is but so many boats don't finish the race because of it it seems

#65 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

I do t think there's a penalty for tjv or RDR races. Traditionally there has been none for transatlantics, all the way back to the OSTAR.

#66 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

NOR:

its allowed, no penalty, upon permission of race committee for the reason why. That is how I read it :)

http://www.transat-j..._vabre_2013.pdf

#67 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,026 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

Surely the turning round to a safe port, time for repair and re-starting again are penalty enough?

Edit, on secound thoughts

Should there be a penalty within a certain time/distance from the start?

There is an obvious stage where turning backs not really viable/worthwhile.

#68 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Ah cool that clears that up. 

De Broc seems to be heading that way too, does he have a problem? Or is he just taking a mad course?

#69 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

About the bad night of Cheminees Poujoulat.
Bernard Stamm had a virus since the start (the thing wich makes you puke and shit liquid) so he was very tired, and made a bad choise of sail configuration, they had to take it back down, and hoist another one, and after they had to go backward to clear something in the keel, so they lost all the good day they had.

edit : Macif is back in the race after 4 hours of pit stop. They changed the starboard rudder.

#70 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

And now PRB are heading towards the Portugese coast, though it seems they may have just gybed out

#71 Corley_

Corley_

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

The Multi50 ranks are thinning with Team Lalou suffering a capsize on their Multi50 Arkema.  The crew are safe onboard and organizing rescue.  Looks like it is now up to Actual and FenetreA Cardinal to battle it out for the Multi50 division.

http://www.transat-j...ne-has-capsized

#72 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

These big Multis seem to be making a habit of capsizing. 

Pushing too hard with to much canvas maybe?

#73 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:26 AM

Goddamnit...

#74 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

From Brian THompson aboard Caterham:

We've made great progress overnight and are now up to eight. 
We were just behind Bet 1128 when their mast came down directly infront of us. Luckily I was on deck steering and could avoid a collision. Hope the boys onboard are ok.
Also heard of the Arkema multi 50 capsize. again, hope everyone onboard is ok.

Bloody Hell that is close racing!

#75 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Extract from Yann communication about capsize conditions :

Arkema capsized just in front of Fenetre a Cardinale, Erwan was steering and seeing their lights, then the lights went off, then Mayeul call thru the VHF to say that they had just capsized, so be careful. We passed them less than .5 mile apart. Both Lalou and Mayeul were OK and they didn't want Yann et Erwan to stop for them, so they call race director Sylvie Viant to inform.

It's always possible to go turtle on a multi, and the wind was not constant, but to capsize in those conditions ... should not have happened.

Both boats were with all the main sail up and the big gennaker and had been in sight range all day. 

#76 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

whats even more amazing is bet 1128 managed to rehoist their mast and have only lost a couple of places (although they are headed for la coruna for repairs) they have maintained good speed.

how do you rehoist a mast at sea on a 40ft with only two of you, and so quicky?  did it not come all the way down?

#77 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

Must have been a rough night. 

Incredible effort if they managed to get there mast back up

#78 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

11th Hour just lost their forestay. Solent in the water. Rig was saved and sail recovered. They are heading to Brest to figure out a repair

#79 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:15 PM

Fuzzy and the Golden (Pot Washer) Boy for the win. They're only 70-odd miles back of the leaders... easy.

It's one thing for a Multi50 to collapse it's another for the nose to fall off. Maybe engineering carbon's not the same as engineering glass? I wouldn't say the M50s are the Classe 40s of the multi world... They've been progressively gaming the rules. The most recent one (Arkema?) had way too much carbon/nomex in it but when the rule literally doesn't say where the "limited amount of carbon" can be... plus they're hella doshy. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do a new "bargain" IMOCA for the price not to mention all the decent ones you can buy

IMOCA is terribly weak: no Hugo Boss (building/fettling another boat?), none of the tontons flangeurs (Wavre, JLC or Mike Golding) - when was the last time there was a transat with none of them entering?. I suppose this being the year after a Vendee that a lot of people are licking their wound but it's not exactly a good look. PRB and Chem Pouj to do well along with Macif as this is a race that suits power reaching boats.

Every time I look at the cockpit of a modern Classe40 I laugh when I think back to back when the class was new and Patrice Carpentier was going on about how much of a racer-cruiser the boats were and how he did an RdR and then took his wife on an eastern Caribbean cruise. The boats look like 2/3 scale 60s now.

Whatever happened to those 80ft tris?

#80 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,487 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

About the bad night of Cheminees Poujoulat.
Bernard Stamm had a virus since the start (the thing wich makes you puke and shit liquid) so he was very tired, and made a bad choise of sail configuration, they had to take it back down, and hoist another one, and after they had to go backward to clear something in the keel, so they lost all the good day they had.

edit : Macif is back in the race after 4 hours of pit stop. They changed the starboard rudder.

It's always something with that boat, isn't it.

#81 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

Fuzzy and the Golden (Pot Washer) Boy for the win. They're only 70-odd miles back of the leaders... easy.

It's one thing for a Multi50 to collapse it's another for the nose to fall off. Maybe engineering carbon's not the same as engineering glass? I wouldn't say the M50s are the Classe 40s of the multi world... They've been progressively gaming the rules. The most recent one (Arkema?) had way too much carbon/nomex in it but when the rule literally doesn't say where the "limited amount of carbon" can be... plus they're hella doshy. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do a new "bargain" IMOCA for the price not to mention all the decent ones you can buy

IMOCA is terribly weak: no Hugo Boss (building/fettling another boat?), none of the tontons flangeurs (Wavre, JLC or Mike Golding) - when was the last time there was a transat with none of them entering?. I suppose this being the year after a Vendee that a lot of people are licking their wound but it's not exactly a good look. PRB and Chem Pouj to do well along with Macif as this is a race that suits power reaching boats.

Every time I look at the cockpit of a modern Classe40 I laugh when I think back to back when the class was new and Patrice Carpentier was going on about how much of a racer-cruiser the boats were and how he did an RdR and then took his wife on an eastern Caribbean cruise. The boats look like 2/3 scale 60s now.

Whatever happened to those 80ft tris?

Yeah, the cruising aspects are not part of many design remits these days. Nor since the fall of 2006 when a couple of boats showed up for the RDR pretty well crowded into the racing corner of the rule. One could argue that the 3 meter draft would limit cruising aspirations no matter how many cruising concessions were baked into the design

That being said, there are more than a few Class 40s that get cruised, and I know one racey version that is currently being repurposed.

#82 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

"Every time I look at the cockpit of a modern Classe40 I laugh when I think back to back when the class was new and Patrice Carpentier was going on about how much of a racer-cruiser the boats were and how he did an RdR and then took his wife on an eastern Caribbean cruise. The boats look like 2/3 scale 60s now."

I thought the same thing.  I remember the first Class 40 RDR when the OCD Bolin's Mill boat was in the basin.  Patrice was not happy about a race only Classe 40 being part of the class.  He thought, rightly so, that the 40's would move away from the Corinthian racer/cruiser concept that they were created for, if stricter rules weren't in place.  That's history now.  How many Gen 1 boats are even in this TJV?

Also, yes, the Multi 50's need to be reigned in somehow.  They are behaving exactly like the ORMA fleet which they were meant to be a departure from, and (in my opinion)  they don't have the grand prix profile the 60's did to put up with that sort of unreliability.  I like the idea on paper though.  

#83 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

RM, you beat me to it. 

#84 Corley_

Corley_

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

It's unfortunate the failures in the Multi50's but I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from them.  Maitre Jacques is now quite old by race multi standards and recently had an update where new bows were grafted onto a possibly quite fatigued structure they made port under their own power and did not require rescue.  The capsize rate is very low and certainly not comparable with the ORMA60 or even MOD70 fleet for that matter.  I'm happy to be corrected but this I believe is the first capsize of a Multi50 since Lalou lost his previous trimaran Région Aquitaine - Port-Médoc on a delivery mid Atlantic in 2010.  There have been a lot of inshore and offshore events sailed in that time.

http://www.thedailys...imaran-capsizes

#85 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Patrice does not get enough recognition for the role he played in creating the Class 40.

#86 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

I think you're right about capsizes, but there have been a lot of structural issues with the few 50's built after CW 2.  Maitre Jacques/ Whaoo 2 has been a reliable boat for a lot of Transatlantics.  It's really impressive.  

#87 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

looks to me like the front 2 40's may just have snuck through the small wind hole and are going to do a horizon job on the rest of the fleet who are set to wallow for 6hrs+.  impressive considering that GDF has had a quick pit stop.

restart likely with the rest of the fleet, western boats getting the new breeze first?

#88 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Seems like all sebastian touches turns to gold. 

Any talk of him getting into a 60 anytime soon?

#89 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

From TDS.

cp-maitrejacques-10nov2_620.png

#90 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

Please, can one of you weather freak give intel on what's best for the IMOCA ? South or West ?

#91 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

From TDS.

cp-maitrejacques-10nov2_620.png

Obviously the beam engineering is up to it.

#92 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

I wonder if they have the budget to update their floats.  Now's as good a time as any.  

#93 P_Wop

P_Wop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Front fell off?  

Sorry, someone had to do it.

Looks like a big impact, and progressive failure thereafter.... Ugh.

#94 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

they said that they heard a big "crack" after a first wave, and that a second one finished the job

#95 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

they said that they heard a big "crack" after a first wave, and that a second one finished the job

Short a few stringers maybe?

#96 Corley_

Corley_

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

When the salvage team gets out to Arkema they are going to make the call to either try and right the boat or tow it inverted.  Sounds like the decision is mostly going to be based on the seastate.

#97 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

The mast is lost, with the sea state they will find  I bet they tow it inverted.

Not money, just my pride  :P

#98 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

Rob and Hannah are back in the race!  11th Hour shoved off the dock and is off to chase down the fleet!  I know who I am rooting for....

#99 fucket

fucket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Racing, coding

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

Please, can one of you weather freak give intel on what's best for the IMOCA ? South or West ?

Looks like Maitre CoQ and Safran found a bit of a hole to the west.

rkDQp0n.png

#100 Sheep of the Bow

Sheep of the Bow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

Any news on why Concise seems to be heading in?

S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users