#201 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,996 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

And a pit stop becomes a disqualifying 'stop' if you set foot above the high tide line, right? Or am I confusing it with riparian rights law in 19th century long island.

#202 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

Congratulations Riou and Le Cam and great to see this result for this PRB boat. Nice 2nd for Safran - nice to see them finish too.

Interestingly, had it been a Vendee, PRB wouldn't have been able to make the Madeira stop. It's interesting how the assistance rules shape each respective race.  

+1.

Nice job for PRB and Safran.

The Vendee Globe is solo, non-stop and unassisted and racing around the world's oceans, which makes it the ultimate ocean racing challenge. Hopefully that won't ever change.

You can stop - you just can't get assistance.  There is one exception which is that you can return to Les Sables after the start if you need to, as long as you restart within a certain period of time.  And during that short window at the beginning of the race, I believe you can actually receive assistance.  Mich took advantage of that two cycles ago.

Correct about stopping. My bad. 

#203 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

And a pit stop becomes a disqualifying 'stop' if you set foot above the high tide line, right? Or am I confusing it with riparian rights law in 19th century long island.

You are correct.  Which made Yves Parlier's feat all the more astounding in the 2000 edition.  He dismasted in the Southern Ocean in an effort to catch up to Mich.  After sailing 4000 kilometers under a jury rig, he anchored off of Stewart Island and proceeded to repair his mast and then restep it.  He was able to get off the boat and work on the beach below the high tide line, but could not go above the high tide line.

He ended up finishing in 127 days.

Carbon boats, iron men.

#204 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:sailing of course

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

You are correct.  Which made Yves Parlier's feat all the more astounding in the 2000 edition.  He dismasted in the Southern Ocean in an effort to catch up to Mich.  After sailing 4000 kilometers under a jury rig, he anchored off of Stewart Island and proceeded to repair his mast and then restep it.  He was able to get off the boat and work on the beach below the high tide line, but could not go above the high tide line.

He ended up finishing in 127 days.

Carbon boats, iron men.

He even managed not to finish last !

two men arrived after him

#205 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

One way to make the older boats more competitive in the IMOCA class would be to ban outside assistance, the results would be much different this TJV.....

Cue everyone who says that sponsors will not benefit if the boats are forced to stop early, but my response is that the boats would be designed in a more resilient way if they could not stop when they liked.....  leading to lower costs for the campaign, which everyone is searching for.

A lot of these pit stops are only possible for very rich teams, and often involve private jets, charter plane flights and other super expensive things.  Not really fair to a budget program who does not have the means to break things and sails accordingly. 

#206 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

money helps to win in sport ?

How my god, that seems like a new fact !

#207 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Soon there will be 2 or 3 competitive teams, because no one will have the money to compete.  

Stopping and getting help from a shore team is contrary to any spirit of seamanship, and allows designs which are not really strong enough.  

I have been on both sides of the fence, and even the skippers who are stopping do not always feel good about it.  

If the rules prevented it, no one would be unhappy, and the boats and class would be much stronger for it.

When you equate it to other sports, you are missing the point.

#208 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

Alex's program:

1/ Virbac-Paprec 3, JP Dick's Verdier design has just been sold to the FNOB in Barcelona for the BWR. It is said that it will be skippered by a Spaniard and Alex Thomson: as Hugo Boss ?:

2/ Besides Alex Thomson Racing, there is "5° West", with once again Sir Keith Mills, Stewart Hosford and Alex Thomson.

5° West has been contracted by IMOCA to run its international development, so one could think that HB, like in Malta, might be trying to enlarge the IMOCA program.

FWIW  

Almost, but not quite.

Five West is comprised of the team who set up Alex Thomson racing. They run his HB program and now they are looking to run programs in parallel to HB. They are currently looking for sponsors for a couple of different projects - including for Ryan - ProjectUSA :)

Sir Keith Mills set up OPEN SPORTS MANAGEMENT in 2012 and have an agreement with IMOCA to commercialize the class. They plan to do this by introducing more racing outside of France and attempting to make it more attractive to international skippers, teams and sponsors.

Thanks for the correction on companies.

Sponsoring money is lacking for racing projects but also for organizing races I believe , towns and communities do not have the means any longer.

This is why I thought that this group of people might try and push IMOCA to ride back on existing and already funded races (which sounds clever).

I might not have been clear, on that, in my post.

Imagine an IMOCA two-handed class in the Fastnet (done) Middle Sea Race (done) Sydney-Hobart ?? Carribean 600 ?? IMA Transatlantic race ?? it could offer opportunities to less rich non-french campaigns on previous generations boats.

#209 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,996 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Soon there will be 2 or 3 competitive teams, because no one will have the money to compete.  

Stopping and getting help from a shore team is contrary to any spirit of seamanship, and allows designs which are not really strong enough.  

I have been on both sides of the fence, and even the skippers who are stopping do not always feel good about it.  

If the rules prevented it, no one would be unhappy, and the boats and class would be much stronger for it.

When you equate it to other sports, you are missing the point.

There's no arguing with the dwindling numbers in the IMOCA class or the silliness of having the two leaders stop for repairs for something billed as 'non-stop' like the BWR.  

#210 victor t

victor t

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Alex's program:

1/ Virbac-Paprec 3, JP Dick's Verdier design has just been sold to the FNOB in Barcelona for the BWR. It is said that it will be skippered by a Spaniard and Alex Thomson: as Hugo Boss ?:

2/ Besides Alex Thomson Racing, there is "5° West", with once again Sir Keith Mills, Stewart Hosford and Alex Thomson.

5° West has been contracted by IMOCA to run its international development, so one could think that HB, like in Malta, might be trying to enlarge the IMOCA program.

FWIW  

Heard the same thing, ie. VP3 bought by HB... Which makes the HB Imoca fleet back to 3 vessels, after having sold HB2 to Gutek ! (former Pindar + former BT + former VP3)

#211 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

Alex's program:

FWIW  

Heard the same thing, ie. VP3 bought by HB... Which makes the HB Imoca fleet back to 3 vessels, after having sold HB2 to Gutek ! (former Pindar + former BT + former VP3)

VP3 team says officially that it is sold to FNOB the Barcelona set-up with AT as one of the skippers for BWR

#212 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

http://www.histoired...des 60'/A28.htm

2013%2011%2019%20Lorient%20Virbac.jpg

ex virbac paprec 3 17th november.

#213 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

That man has so much money to spend. 

The logic of buying the ld Pindar will never make sense to me, that thing is just too powerful to be sailed shorthanded. 

#214 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

I doubt he spends more money than other teams, i.e. he always bought second hand boats. The combined purchase price of the Juan-K boat and the Farr one isn't more than a single new one.

Alex approached IMOCA in a very different way than most skippers, probably because unlike most of them he isn't really interested in developing boats. He first worked on providing a platform for sponsors independent of raw results, and from that perspective the Juan-K boat was a good deal since he could race in a wide range of races and the boat is very well suited to take VIPs for a ride. He then worked on solo performance with a second boat. ()

The Farr boat is now for sale and to my knowledge HB will only charter the former VP3 for the BWR, but Alex Thomson Racing didn't buy that boat.

All in all I find his business model makes complete sense.

That man has so much money to spend. 

The logic of buying the ld Pindar will never make sense to me, that thing is just too powerful to be sailed shorthanded. 

#215 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

The leading Class 40's have done a very good job of maintaining a 300-400 mile gap on the trailing 60's.  Weather playing a part or not, it's impressive in what is so much less boat.  It also keeps the 40's from finishing a week later which is what I assumed would happen with the stop, etc...

#216 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

I like that interview with Alex. 

He's really grown on me in the ;last year or so, seems to have matured alot in his style of racing- might be something to do with the kid. 

I think before he thought he was either going to win or break spectacularly- either way the sponsor wins with the media exposure. 

I saw an interesting statistic about the 2008 Vendée that the website gained the most hits during Le Cam's capsize and the other mishaps that would have made front-page news in France- Alex knew this. 

From now on I root for the guy, whereas before...not so much.

#217 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

I like that interview with Alex. 

He's really grown on me in the ;last year or so, seems to have matured alot in his style of racing- might be something to do with the kid. 

I think before he thought he was either going to win or break spectacularly- either way the sponsor wins with the media exposure. 

I saw an interesting statistic about the 2008 Vendée that the website gained the most hits during Le Cam's capsize and the other mishaps that would have made front-page news in France- Alex knew this. 

From now on I root for the guy, whereas before...not so much.

"I saw an interesting statistic about the 2008 Vendée that the website gained the most hits during Le Cam's capsize and the other mishaps that would have made front-page news in France- Alex knew this."

I doubt very much VM Matériaux was interested in having the images of their capsized boat splashed all over the world. Believing Alex had the media coverage of an eventual crash in mind while racing is completely silly (especially front cover news in France really is his last priority). He prepared this race very thoroughly with the clear objective of getting to the finish line, having had plenty of heart breakers before. He chose an "all around" proven boat which could be driven single handed close to it's max potential, and worked hard to optimize it both in terms of performance and reliability.

You just don't seem to understand that HB isn't Red Bull. They don't give a damn about the VG (ain't going to sell many suits in the Sables d'Olonne crowd and HB customers who do sail are more interested in "Les Voiles de St Tropez" ). That's not the PR they work for. It's the splash in Monaco or New York or walking on the keel of his boat or taking VIPs for a ride on the second boat that gets in the cash.

#218 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to us edouard.  I couldn't help wondering about all of these things regarding Hugo Boss.  All these years, and so many questions.  One thing I've always wondered about the Hugo Boss campaign though:  Is that Alex Thomson's real hair color?

#219 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

Nice job, Louis and Guillaume on IMOCA 60, Bureau Vallee. 

#220 umpire

umpire

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

Why should he bother? He has no chance against the newest generation boats on this course.

I don't know what his plans are (although I hope he has the funding to build a new boat and that that's what he is spending his time on), but in his position the TJV would be the last thing on my mind.

Alex's program isn't an IMOCA campaign, it's an Alex Thomson Racing campaign sponsored by Hugo Boss, the main racing events of which being:the  Vendee Globe, the Barcelona World Race and the Fastnet. The other events being chosen only to fit as training or because they are interesting from a PR point of view.

The TJV is a great race, but let's face it, from a sponsor's point of view, nobody gives a shit besides the French.

The only IMOCA competitor in this race not backed by a French concern is Gutek (he doesn't rightfully bother to communicate in any language but Polish) because it's an opportunity to test his boat in racing conditions.
I don't know if I agree with you on that- the boat he has is competitive- proven in the last Vendée.

As per his racing- I fail to see how a  that is hugely followed in France- which is surely one of their target markets.

"pretty low-profile race around the Med will help Hugo Boss more than a Transat" : From a Hugo Boss perspective there are far more PR opportunities in sunny summer Med than in freezing fall Brittany.

"As per his racing- I fail to see how a  that is hugely followed in France- which is surely one of their target markets": No. "Le pays de la mode" is not a Hugo Boss target market . They have their own brands. (No Frenchman or woman with the means to do so is going to buy a Hugo Boss product).

"I don't know if I agree with you on that- the boat he has is competitive- proven in the last Vendée."
 Vendée: Safran lost keel on first day, PRB hit buy and retired, Cheminée Poujoulat retired, etc etc etc. Alex is a HUGE racer which enabled him to stay in touch with the new boats. But the fact of the mater is that he finished behind all those who didn't break, which happened to be third place.

Dunno if France is a Hugo boss target market per-se, but ... you are wrong on one point: in companies board-rooms one certainly sees many Hugo Boss suits. 
Only if they are slim 30-40 year olds.

#221 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Team Plastique & Initiatives Coeur have a race on their hands! No time for cooking videos from Alessandro or athletic stunt videos from Tanguy these days :)

#222 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

struggled with a fishing net for Initiatives Coeur

and broken water balast on Team Plastique pooring 1Ton of water inside the boat.

I really like Tanguy and François, but I'm rooting for Alessandro. impressive speed for such an "has been" boat.

#223 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

9 seconds between Initiatives Coeur and Team Plastique after more than 3 weeks sailing!

Tanguy ahead after a breathtaking final sprint, but I too would have preferred to see the Azzuri ahead :)

#224 popo

popo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Amazing

#225 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

I love the way the best battles happen at the back sometimes. Would love to see Allesandro get his hands on a new 60, but I doubt that'd ever happen- thet's just not his style! 

#226 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

I love the way the best battles happen at the back sometimes. Would love to see Allesandro get his hands on a new 60, but I doubt that'd ever happen- thet's just not his style! 

I'm sure he wouldn't turn it down if the funding happened to land in his lap.

#227 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

http://www.whitecapl...-all/aviva.aspx

500k eur.

buy it team plastique

#228 LeoV

LeoV

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

And now the 40's to go.

Pella is the only one who made it from the back group into the top 3, impressive. As is the lead of GDF from almost day 1..

Love the playback feature.

And I rooted for Tanguy, that guy lives for sailing since his youth.

#229 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

http://www.whitecapl...-all/aviva.aspx

500k eur.

buy it team plastique

Why on earth should thy buy that? They already have a boat to finish last for a fraction of that price.

500k Euros? That's more than the Lombard boat, the VG and TJV cost them.

#230 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

He deserves boat which can cant her keel.

Which Lombard boat do you mean?

#231 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

He deserves boat which can cant her keel.

Which Lombard boat do you mean?

My bad for the architect. Their current boat is a 1998 Finot-Conq design which is a perfect fit for Team Plastique. It's simple, reliable and can be operated on a very tight budget.

Alessandro doesn't deserve a bag of problems the Aviva boat would be without the budget to operate it.

If Alessandro wants to have a better boat he'll have to find another sponsor. You can't ask tiny Team Plastique for more.

#232 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

I enjoyed reading Rob Windsor's perspective on FP.  I've been in plenty of distance races where things didn't work out and there's nothing left to race for, but I've always taken pride in finishing what I started, whatever it takes, rather than firing up the engine to hurry to the party.  Great work by Rob to keep the attitude positive and focus on the good things in the experience rather than dwelling on the DFL.

Check out the wind forecast for the next 48 hours.  The last 400 NM will have almost nothing while 11th Hour's next 500 NM will have 15-20 knots.  It's almost certainly "too little, too late", but they're finally catching a bit of a break.  Hopefully they can chew up some of the lead EcoElec has on them now and finish before the entire rest of the fleet has headed for home.

#233 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

EcoElec's lead over 11th hour maxed out at 488 NM roughly 24 hours ago.  At the time, EcoElec was around 500 NM to go while 11th Hour had just under 1,000 NM to go.

In the last 24 hours, 11th hour has taken more than 100 NM out of that lead, cutting it to 382 NM.  While I seriously doubt 11th Hour can actually still catch EcoElec, it's starting to look more realistic that they could finish within 24 hours of EcoElec, if the wind continues to be light near the finish and better further back.  That would be nice.  It would suck to be so far DFL that you're a couple days behind second-to-last.

#234 Rail Meat

Rail Meat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,110 posts
  • Interests:My ride: An OCD designed Class 40

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:02 AM

Got my fingers crossed. Rob and Hanna deserve some luck

#235 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Unfortunately, the tracker's weather data stopped updating yesterday morning.  EcoElec has more breeze now than the tracker suggests.  Looks like they'll probably still beat 11th Hour to the finish by 400 NM or so.  Bummer.

#236 Your Mom

Your Mom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

Got my fingers crossed. Rob and Hanna deserve some luck

Well, they finally finished.  I hope someone was there to congratulate them on their perseverance.

#237 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

Great reception for Energa team at Warsaw airport.

1501382_712977245379116_1133365436_o.jpg

#238 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hi,

Just after the breakage of Cheminees Poujoulat I became reinterested in the Jacques Vabre Transat.

My favourite Francois Gabart and Michel Desjoujeaux gave up in sight of the finish.

What happened? Seaching for the internet for an hour now but it seems to be sectret why they did not Finish DNS

#239 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hi,

Just after the breakage of Cheminees Poujoulat I became reinterested in the Jacques Vabre Transat.

My favourite Francois Gabart and Michel Desjoujeaux gave up in sight of the finish.

What happened? Seaching for the internet for an hour now but it seems to be sectret why they did not Finish DNS

Nothing secret, they dismasted.

#240 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

Great story about lost bow found its mommy.

Maitre_Jacques_50-Hull-01.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users