49 replies to this topic

#1 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

Anyone who has spent any time at all racing knows, bananas on board is a HUGE no-no. This totally explains what happened to TNZ.

Attached Files

#2 MoMP

MoMP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Rookie move......

#3 Arced

Arced

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Yep. Explanation conclusively found.

#4 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

Holy George of the Jungle! That's It!

#5 Windward

Windward

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Interests:Building and managing websites using the Umbraco CMS

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Wow...  Great catch!

Now we know.

So sad...

#6 HypnoToad

HypnoToad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

That image was digitally altered by the Oracle Propaganda Department.

#7 Kevlar Edge

Kevlar Edge

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

now it all makes sense! these guys are the best of the best how could any of them allowed that to happen!

#8 Beer Can

Beer Can

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Not a good move.  And the guy next to him was whistling.

#9 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,750 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

Ist that badde to?

#10 surf nazi

surf nazi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Ist that badde to?

For the very superstitious, whistling is also bad luck. But bananas are bad luck for a fact !!!

#11 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,931 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

I never knew that!  Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot, over???

#12 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Good on TNZ for not caving in like superstitious ninnies.

#13 Presuming Ed

Presuming Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

It's more of an American thing. Before I first came here, I had never heard of the banana thing. Painting a boat green, or starting a voyage on a Friday OTOH...(Or for the French, mentioning rabbits..)

#14 Touch of Gray

Touch of Gray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Interests:SA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Ist that badde to?

For the very superstitious, whistling is also bad luck. But bananas are bad luck for a fact !!!

Was once upon a time long long ago at the outset of my, albeit brief, naval career told  "Only two people whistle in the navy.  Boatswain Mates and Queers."

#15 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

Banana's were designated "bad luck" by 19th century freighter captains in order to scare their highly uneducated crews in order keep the tarantulas that hid in the ripening banana bunches off their boats when they left tropical harbors.

That's all...nothing more to see here.  No evil banana spirits or bad banana karma involved.  

We always have bananas on board.  Mmmmm, good.  Now, tarantulas are another thing.

#16 JohnMB

JohnMB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

It's more of an American thing. Before I first came here, I had never heard of the banana thing. Painting a boat green, or starting a voyage on a Friday OTOH...(Or for the French, mentioning rabbits..)

I'm with you, never heard of the banana issue before I came to the US.

maybe its only bad luck over here? and no-one told them.

Its pretty good sailing food, lots of nutrients, biodegradable wrapper(leave the stickers at home), sticks together well , you just have to put up with Americans telling you its bad luck. :).

#17 Beer Can

Beer Can

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Its pretty good sailing food, lots of nutrients, biodegradable wrapper(leave the stickers at home), sticks together well , you just have to put up with Americans telling you its bad luck. :).

I always thought all these superstitions went back to the British Navy.  In fact, most American cruisers don't even seem to be aware of them.  The one most people seem to know is the Friday one but if you're a working stiff, you have no choice but to ignore it.

#18 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

You say that bananas are not bad luck. Humpfff. I believe that the result of the OUSA/TNZ match proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that bananas are scientifically a detriment to your boat's performance. ;-)  DISCUSS

#19 BobJ

BobJ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

They've always been bad luck on my boats and by the time you find the thing, you wouldn't want to eat it anyway.  Plus they make you constipated, which is often already a problem on a long trip (obviously n/a in the case of Mark's photo).

What really happened here is the guy tossed the peel onto #17 when she passed by, causing that MOB we saw.  Clever those Kiwis.

#20 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Often embellished stories in the northeast abound about a mystical boat captain who, on the way out to a starting line of a distance race, went below to grab a snack. Seconds later a bunch of bananas comes flying out of the companionway and makes a graceful arc straight into the sea. One version I heard also said that just minutes later one of the crew found a turnbuckle missing a cotter pin. 

The superstition may be horseshit or may be gospel but who am I to say? 

#21 Bill's Sock Puppet

Bill's Sock Puppet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Here is a short list of qualifying banana faux pas:

Bringing aboard a product with banana in its name, like Banana Boat sunscreen or Banana Republic clothing. Some guides will attest that Fruit of the Loom removed the banana from its label as a favor to fisherman the world over.

Bringing aboard a food item which has banana as an ingredient or flavoring. This includes banana bread, banana muffins and the ever-sneaky banana taffy.

Mentioning a banana or a banana-related item. Be careful when pronouncing bandana.

Possessing the likeness of a banana either graphically or in a small graven image.

Singing, Yes! We Have no Bananas. It might seem funny at the time, but I assure you, it is not.

Wearing a banana mascot costume of any kind.

Musing about bananas.

Saying that anything is shaped like a banana the object will immediately be thrown overboard.

Writing anything about bananas in Sailing Anarchy the day before a race.

For that matter, believing in luck good or bad is comforting. It gives the illusion of control to the uncontrollable element. Luck is more predicable than the weather. Its intuitive, so therefore requires no skill or ability. Crediting outcomes to luck relieves you of all personal liability and allows you to wear dirty socks with impunity.

Luck is a talisman to the indefinable element confusing all success stories you dont win because youre lucky, you win because you raced.

#22 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

Bringing aboard a product with banana in its name, like Banana Boat sunscreen or Banana Republic clothing. Some guides will attest that Fruit of the Loom removed the banana from its label as a favor to fisherman the world over.

Bringing aboard a food item which has banana as an ingredient or flavoring. This includes banana bread, banana muffins and the ever-sneaky banana taffy.

Mentioning a banana or a banana-related item. Be careful when pronouncing bandana.

Possessing the likeness of a banana either graphically or in a small graven image.

Singing, Yes! We Have no Bananas. It might seem funny at the time, but I assure you, it is not.

Musing about bananas.

Saying that anything is shaped like a banana the object will immediately be thrown overboard.

For that matter, believing in luck good or bad is comforting. It gives the illusion of control to the uncontrollable element. Luck is more predicable than the weather. Its intuitive, so therefore requires no skill or ability. Crediting outcomes to luck relieves you of all personal liability and allows you to wear dirty socks with impunity.

Luck is a talisman to the indefinable element confusing all success stories you dont win because youre lucky, you win because you raced.

Now there is a response from a true Pro. Finally, someone that gets it!

#23 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

If bananas on boats are such bad luck, why aren't there more banana laden freighters sitting on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico?

#24 Code 2

Code 2

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:stuff....

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:14 AM

Why take a chance?  No bananas.

I always heard it was because they sped up the ripening process of other natural foodstuffs.  They work wonders in a brown paper bag and some hard avocados turn wonderful much more quickly.  Thats what Nana said.  But she said lots of crazy Italian stuff...  :)

No green clothes on the boat either... Dad said that one.

Its my job to check all the ring dings and pins.  Why take a chance.

#25 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

Banana's were designated "bad luck" by 19th century freighter captains in order to scare their highly uneducated crews in order keep the tarantulas that hid in the ripening banana bunches off their boats when they left tropical harbors.

That's all...nothing more to see here.  No evil banana spirits or bad banana karma involved.  

We always have bananas on board.  Mmmmm, good.  Now, tarantulas are another thing.

Good name for a boat

- Bad Banana Karma Or just
- Banana Karma

#26 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

If bananas on boats are such bad luck, why aren't there more banana laden freighters sitting on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico?

Haha.

#27 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Often embellished stories in the northeast abound about a mystical boat captain who, on the way out to a starting line of a distance race, went below to grab a snack. Seconds later a bunch of bananas comes flying out of the companionway and makes a graceful arc straight into the sea.  

Not into the sea, but through the hands of someone trying to catch it on the stern of the RC boat 'On The LIne' where it landed squarely on a platter of chilled shrimp and cocktail sauce, spraying them all over the clean white uniforms of the RC. Only moments later  'On The Line' was squarely and loudly tee-boned by a famous B36.7 who's blow-harding chronicles are regularly featured on these pages! 

These things don't happen without bananas

#28 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,750 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

bannas = moosheades

#29 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,931 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Musing about bananas.

Does this mean no Speedo (grape smuggler - banana hammock) swimsuits???

#30 James McMullen

James McMullen

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:masturbation, gluttony, random acts of violence, karaoke

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Superstitions are bullshit!

Except for the ones that are true, of course. I'd set sail on a Friday thirteenth with a priest and a black cat aboard before I'd let a banana within a 50 meter radius of my boat.

#31 Black Sox

Black Sox

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Whistling is only to be applied when you seriously want more wind. Thing is, you might get waaaay more than you need. So don't chance it.

Also, we don't say the word that means the fabric you pull across windows to keep the light out. I'm not sure if it's the same for the word the 'Mericans use (rhymes with grapes) but I won't type it either, just in case

And if a red-headed woman crosses your path on your way to the boat, turn around, go home and stay away from the sea until tomorrow. This one definitely works - 100% of people who go home won't drown at sea that day.

#32 Arced

Arced

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Whistling is only to be applied when you seriously want more wind. Thing is, you might get waaaay more than you need. So don't chance it.

Also, we don't say the word that means the fabric you pull across windows to keep the light out. I'm not sure if it's the same for the word the 'Mericans use (rhymes with grapes) but I won't type it either, just in case

And if a red-headed woman crosses your path on your way to the boat, turn around, go home and stay away from the sea until tomorrow. This one definitely works - 100% of people who go home won't drown at sea that day.

I'd risk the window cover thingies and the ranga woman, but never the bent yellow fruit. Look what happened to the poor feckers on Dynamic https://www.facebook...cation=timeline

#33 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

http://www.ebaumswor...watch/80845376/

yep,,,bananas

#34 J24Soup

J24Soup

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Anyone notice any pine cones?  Good overview video, but doesn't quite jive with my understanding of the banana boat theory.

https://www.youtube....h?v=9qBKh7r5nK4

#35 klaxon

klaxon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, and banana shaped boats suck.

#36 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

The Banana thing is well known in Kiwi land. :(

Shameful move TNZ :angry: 

#37 Vang Tang

Vang Tang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

bananas are super high in potassium which helps prevent cramping, something most physical sailors have to know about. favorite between race lunch / snack food for me when sailing the finn is peanut butter and banana burrito.

#38 ribber

ribber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

At long last, I now know what has been the cause of my lackluster race performance...I've been packing Banana Boat sunscreen in my bag for 8 years...

#39 minimumfuss

minimumfuss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:kiwis winning, sports

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:52 AM

Nah, its not bananas, and also explains why port entry was favoured. Black cat crossing in front of you = bad luck. Pretty obvious in retrospect!
Bananas on board seems to be more fishermans bad luck in NZ.

#40 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

This is the guy that started it all. Really bad luck if you get too up close and personal with one.

http://en.wikipedia....andering_spider

#41 Bruce T. Shark

Bruce T. Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:After Race Parties<br />Frank Mundus<br />Peter Benchly

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

Aeolus - From Greek Mythology - The keeper of the winds would whistle when he wanted the winds to return to the mountain where he kept them till they were needed again..you bunch of kretins! (when someone prayed for an east wind he would pierce the east side of the mountain)

As for bananas - they outgas when ripening and in the days of iron men and wooden ships, and hatches were battened down and then covered with tar covered canvas to keep them waterproof, the gases could build up in the hold.

#42 artie_pitt

artie_pitt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Aeolus - From Greek Mythology - The keeper of the winds would whistle when he wanted the winds to return to the mountain where he kept them till they were needed again..you bunch of kretins! (when someone prayed for an east wind he would pierce the east side of the mountain)

As for bananas - they outgas when ripening and in the days of iron men and wooden ships, and hatches were battened down and then covered with tar covered canvas to keep them waterproof, the gases could build up in the hold.

cre·tin
ˈkrētn/  
noun
noun: cretin; plural noun: cretins
  1. 1.
    a stupid person (used as a general term of abuse).

#43 Arced

Arced

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

Whoops, bad word to get wrong when casting nasturtiums! Perhaps they were irony men and Aeolus was a Cretan?

#44 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

bananas are super high in potassium which helps prevent cramping, something most physical sailors have to know about. favorite between race lunch / snack food for me when sailing the finn is peanut butter and banana burrito.

You can have bananas...just not ON BOARD*. This is science people.

#45 surf nazi

surf nazi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Actually the potassium prevents cramps theory was never scientifically proven.  It was based on some questionable science at first and everyone just bought into it. It doesn't hurt you or anything but just bring something else besides bananas which have been scientifically proven ( by me ) to be bad luck.

#46 fastyacht

fastyacht

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:17 AM

Potatoes and Avocados have much more potassium than bananas ever could.

#47 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

But Bananas taste exactly the same coming up as they do going down.

#48 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I always thought it was due to bananas causing other fruit on the ship to go off faster. Proven to be because they give off ethylene gas as they ripen. And the other fruit that does this, Kiwi Fruit. Coincidence? I think not.

#49 sailorgirl218

sailorgirl218

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Being on, in or around the water... :)
    www.nicdouglass.org
    www.sunsetradio.co
    www.sunsetmedia.co

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

I am sure an Avocado would be a practical in between race snack... :wacko:

And besides, it's green... no green on boats!

#50 DryArmour

DryArmour

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

More indisputable science for you on this fine Friday.

It is common knowledge that red and black licorice makes the boat faster regardless of the wind conditions. It also makes the tactician/naviguesser smarter :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users