#1 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

Good on Obama --

US forces have conducted two separate raids in Africa -- one on the Al Shabaab militant group in Somalia linked to last month’s Kenya mall attack that killed more than 60 people, and the other to capture a Libyan Al Qaeda leader wanted for his role in the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in East Africa, Fox News can confirm. (link)

And God bless our special forces.

#2 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:51 AM

I thought we were shut down and there were no funds for this stuff.

I haven't heard much on the news about Syria or Egypt so I figured Obama had them shut down too.

#3 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

Don't worry about Syria.  Putin has that under control.

Egypt is good too.  The guys we backed were gently released from their duties.  The military is in charge over there, but it wasn't a coup.  If it was, Obama couldn't send them fighter aircraft.

#4 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Don't worry about Syria.  Putin has that under control.

Egypt is good too.  The guys we backed were gently released from their duties.  The military is in charge over there, but it wasn't a coup.  If it was, Obama couldn't send them fighter aircraft.

creating jobs....

#5 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what our National Interest is in Kenya.  We even sent the FBI over to investigate.

As to the other raid, we now see the killing Osama was good since now we can kill #1's intstead of #2's in Al Qaeda.

#6 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,232 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

How many time has he said the war on Terror was over and al Qaeda was decimated. 

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

#7 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,274 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

Thank you to the folks responsible for this.

#8 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,431 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

Good on Obama --

US forces have conducted two separate raids in Africa -- one on the Al Shabaab militant group in Somalia linked to last months Kenya mall attack that killed more than 60 people, and the other to capture a Libyan Al Qaeda leader wanted for his role in the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in East Africa, Fox News can confirm. (link)

Why are we attacking the Kenyan mall terrorists?

I'm sure they are not nice, but not sure they are our problem.

As for the other operation, glad to see it. People who attack our embassies are our problem.

#9 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Tip of the hat to Obama and all involved.  We attack the Kenyan mall attackers because we are using Kenyans as a proxy force against Somali Al Queda forces. Got to have their back.

#10 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,648 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm going to have to see the President's birth certificate before I can answer that question.

#11 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'm going to have to see the President's birth certificate before I can answer that question.

I'd like to see some the administration provide some information on the nature of our relationships with the governments where we are conducting operations.  Unless, of course, we are just doing this on our own without their permission.

#12 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

How many time has he said the war on Terror was over and al Qaeda was decimated. 

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

When it comes to something Obama did, for Jack every silver lining has its cloud.

#13 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,277 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Good on Obama --

US forces have conducted two separate raids in Africa -- one on the Al Shabaab militant group in Somalia linked to last months Kenya mall attack that killed more than 60 people, and the other to capture a Libyan Al Qaeda leader wanted for his role in the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in East Africa, Fox News can confirm. (link)

I'm sure they are not nice, but not sure they are our problem.

As for the other operation, glad to see it. People who attack our embassies are our problem.

I agree.

If we're going to spend money in Africa, let's spend it on AFRICOM's more peaceful programs and work to bring peace and security there through more humanitarian means.

Shooting up terrorists only makes more determined terrorists out of the ones that survive and the families of the ones that didn't survive. And when there is no choice, let the locals do it.

#14 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,232 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

I'm sure the timing was pure coincidence. A President would never bomb, say an aspirin factory, just to distract from bad news.

Capture.jpg

#15 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

I'm sure the timing was pure coincidence. A President would never bomb, say an aspirin factory, just to distract from bad news.

Capture.jpg

Will you support your President or undermine him?

This is what we all love about you, Jack.  You are the single most blatant hypocrite on this forum, and you just can't stop providing examples of it.  It's shooting fish in a barrel.

The only downside is that every once in a while people tell me I am picking on a retarded guy, and I get a guilty feeling.  But your next post usually makes feeling that go away.

#16 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'd like to see some the administration provide some information on the nature of our relationships with the governments where we are conducting operations.  Unless, of course, we are just doing this on our own without their permission.

Someone needs to read the Melian Dialog.

https://www.mtholyok...trel/melian.htm

#17 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,232 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

"His brother, Nabih, told The Associated Press that just after dawn prayers, three vehicles full of armed men had approached Abu Anas’s home and surrounded him as he parked his car. The men smashed his window, seized his gun and sped away with him, the brother said."

Does not sound like he was exactly in hiding. Driving himself to church and back. Odd...

#18 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,336 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

Since when does the US have the right to go around, breaching the borders of sovereign nations, executing people without due process and generally acting like we own the place?

We waterboard some real baddies who were clearly behind acts against the US, some of you had real issues with that, but killing baddies for something they did or are doing on another continent, you celebrate? Kindly explain yourselves.

#19 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Since when does the US have the right to go around, breaching the borders of sovereign nations, executing people without due process and generally acting like we own the place?

We waterboard some real baddies who were clearly behind acts against the US, some of you had real issues with that, but killing baddies for something they did or are doing on another continent, you celebrate? Kindly explain yourselves.

I think you will find that we have agreements in place with these nations which make this legal internationally.  Under US law, it should be up to congress to declare war or authorize military action.  Treaties should be ratified by the Senate.  I haven't seen a lot of news where any of this has taken place.  Bush did get some pretty broad powers in pursuit of those who attacked us so the Libya action might be covered.  The events in Kenya?  Maybe not so much.

Looks like Delta did a lot better job than the SEALS this time around.

#20 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,022 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

June 27, 1950.

My turn:

Which popular 2011 movie starred both Matt Damon and Jude Law?

#21 Battlecheese

Battlecheese

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, music, physics.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

Um, are you suggesting that the US supported the Brotherhood??
Gullible fool.

#22 Battlecheese

Battlecheese

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

US forces have conducted two separate raids in Africa ... and the other to capture a Libyan Al Qaeda leader wanted for his role in the 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in East Africa

And just think, they were on the same side such a short time ago.

#23 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,632 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Our embassy's are US territory.  Bombing them is going around, breaching borders of a sovereign nation, executing people, and generally acting like one owns the place too. We sprinkled a bit of water on the faces of and killed some people who we suspected might have done stuff like that, and you had no issue with it, but now it appears even capturing baddies is unacceptable to you unless they are in the US?  Kindly explain yourself. 

#24 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

#6's douchebaggery is rivaled only by wolfey's gasbaggery

#25 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,336 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

Our embassy's are US territory.  Bombing them is going around, breaching borders of a sovereign nation, executing people, and generally acting like one owns the place too. We sprinkled a bit of water on the faces of and killed some people who we suspected might have done stuff like that, and you had no issue with it, but now it appears even capturing baddies is unacceptable to you unless they are in the US?  Kindly explain yourself. 

Were these terrorists on US soil when the Seals came rolling in? Prettty much all the baddies WB'd were captured in Afghanistan, no? I had and have no problem or issue with capturing baddies in a country we are in involved in a war with. I have always expressed concern or had reservations about drones or military personnel operating on foreign soil that we were not in conflict with, or without permission, or killing people that we actively engaged in combat with, without due process.

So there, I answered your questions now you answer mine.

As for you BG you mindless ass-pilot (nttiawwt), tell us all about how this is according to Hoyle.

#26 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,336 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

June 27, 1950.

My turn:

Which popular 2011 movie starred both Matt Damon and Jude Law?

Korea? Really?

Beleive it or not, the remake of Plein Soleil.

#27 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

We were not at war with Pakistan when we illegally invaded that sovereign country and assassinated OBL, someone who had never killed a single American.The arrogance of the Kenyan knows no borders.

#28 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,336 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

I take that to be tongue in cheek however I thought he should have been captured and brought to trial. Not sure what agreements we have with Pakistan relative to their borders and our incursions.

Ask you all this. Mexican drug-lord type flees to the US. Mexican military comes and gets/captures/kills him. Would you all be alright with that?

#29 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,632 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

Were these terrorists on US soil when the Seals came rolling in? Prettty much all the baddies WB'd were captured in Afghanistan, no? I had and have no problem or issue with capturing baddies in a country we are in involved in a war with. I have always expressed concern or had reservations about drones or military personnel operating on foreign soil that we were not in conflict with, or without permission, or killing people that we actively engaged in combat with, without due process.

As for you BG you mindless ass-pilot (nttiawwt), tell us all about how this is according to Hoyle.

Let's see...KSM was in Pakistan. OBL was too. That courier guy they tortured to death a few years back, another "al-Libby", was picked up in Egypt. So "no".  There were no reports of drone usage in yesterday's raids either, btw.  

Check your sources of information, they may be a little too "Fair and Balanced".  

#30 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

Gullible fool.

That comment was directed at Obama, right?

Pick up a newspaper, FFS.

#31 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,336 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

Let's see...KSM was in Pakistan. OBL was too. That courier guy they tortured to death a few years back, another "al-Libby", was picked up in Egypt. So "no".  There were no reports of drone usage in yesterday's raids either, btw.  

Check your sources of information, they may be a little too "Fair and Balanced".  

Sorry, haven't watched the network/cable news in a few days.

I know no drones were used here. It was a general statement about their usage.

I seem to recall Musharraf  gave permission/consent in Pakistan... something about billions in aid to our ally in the GWOT.

Did we capture the messenger guy or was he a hand over? So you have three...errr, one guy... maybe. Out of how many???

And how about the due process issues? Weren't you in the "How can Bush claim them to be enemy combatants if they are not state sponsored terrorists" group?

#32 Battlecheese

Battlecheese

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

Gullible fool.

Yup. The news says that the US's long-supported military dictatorship is back in power in Egypt.
All those uprising people were damn inconvenient, but nothing a few months of dilligent smearing, then a coup can't fix.

#33 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,912 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

Gullible fool.

Yup. The news says that the US's long-supported military dictatorship is back in power in Egypt.
All those uprising people were damn inconvenient, but nothing a few months of dilligent smearing, then a coup can't fix.

"than" a coup could fix. 

Obama bet on the wrong horse by supporting the Muslim Brotherhood. 

Now Obama is supporting the Egyptian military with US aid, which is against the law. 

#34 Battlecheese

Battlecheese

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

"than" a coup could fix.

Um. No.

Obama bet on the wrong horse by supporting the Muslim Brotherhood. 

Now Obama is supporting the Egyptian military with US aid, which is against the law.

The US has been supporting the Egyptian military (edit: with us aid) for decades, just a bit late to be worrying about that...

Mr O didn't bet wrong with the MB. They were just a short-term measure until they could reinstate their poodle.

#35 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,912 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

"than" a coup could fix.

Um. No.

>Obama bet on the wrong horse by supporting the Muslim Brotherhood. 

The US has been supporting the Egyptian military (edit: with us aid) for decades, just a bit late to be worrying about that...

Mr O didn't bet wrong with the MB. They were just a short-term measure until they could reinstate their poodle.

Really?  Obama supported the MB knowing that they'd be thrown out by the Egyptian military?  That was his plan all along?

I don't have a problem with US aid to the military in Egypt.  What I do have a problem with is that Obama has placed himself above the law, yet again.

#36 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,232 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

Maybe Obama's publicity stunt was ill conceived. I wonder if the SEALS feel used?

Capture.jpg

#37 Battlecheese

Battlecheese

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

Really?  Obama supported the MB knowing that they'd be thrown out by the Egyptian military?  That was his plan all along?

You don't seriously think the US would be happy to have a long-term poodle like Mubarak replaced with this dodgy democracy rubbish shirly?

#38 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

We were not at war with Pakistan when we illegally invaded that sovereign country and assassinated OBL, someone who had never killed a single American.The arrogance of the Kenyan knows no borders.

Well, yes but he did promise to invade Pakistan in his first presidential campaign.

At least that's one he kept.

#39 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:06 AM

Yawn

#40 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,648 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

There were no reports of drone usage in yesterday's raids either, btw.  

Trust me, they were there.......   ;)

#41 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

Yep, might have been flown from Arba Minch, Ethiopia. One of my brother's planes. 5-600 miles.

#42 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

This doesn't look like it will end well.  The Libyan government is now officially upset no matter what our legal relationship with them may, or may not, say.

The raid in Somalia does not appear to have gone as planned.  It looks like it has emboldened Al-Shabaab and other militant groups.

The support of the american people as we attempt to establish our own version of the Co-prosperity sphere doesn't seem to be there as.  The reaction to the threat of military force in Syria by both McCain and Obama was met with public outrcy from both sides of the political spectrum.

On the other side, the opposition is a loosely knit ideology with no central command and control structure. Hard to knock out except in isolated incidents.

#43 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,648 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

On the other side, the opposition is a loosely knit ideology with no central command and control structure. Hard to knock out except in isolated incidents.

Doesn't mean we should stop trying.....

#44 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,648 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

Interestingly, I was just pondering that we never hear about Delta Force and then this raid in Libya happened.  A really interesting article as to why we don't hear much about them......  Delta Force vs Navy SEALs. 

#45 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,431 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

Don't you have a piggy pop tart to create, JBSF? ;)

#46 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

Interestingly, I was just pondering that we never hear about Delta Force and then this raid in Libya happened.  A really interesting article as to why we don't hear much about them......  Delta Force vs Navy SEALs. 

$10B to support the operation of less than 2000 soldiers? Flat out obscene. A disgusting display of wasteful military spending.

#47 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

Extraterrestrials don't have birth certificates. There, I said , the secret is out. I can't believe that nobody noticed the Vulcan ears.

#48 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

While making a comment above, I decided to see how much the special forces community had grown since Kennedy started encouraging the Green Berets and SEALS.  Prior to this there were special missions but very few specialized units.  The Army Rangers might be one but from their inception as a small team force, they grew to become a regular unit.  The marines grew from small units to protect ships and establish beachheads or small incursions to a major branch of the military with their own air force.

The search for growth statistics though led me to find a slew of articles on how the SEALs were working hard to become more diverse.

Everybody wants to be special.  As a result, we end up with small group forces that get a lot of publicity (when desired by the politicians) and then get more and more of the assignments, forcing growth until they become regular units who get to wear a different colored hat or badge.

I think Delta is doing a good job of being special. 

#49 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,648 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Don't you have a piggy pop tart to create, JBSF? ;)

Dude, I tried two poptarts today at work.  I've always sucked at art, and this is no different.  I'm trying, but nothing I produced this am remotely resembled a pig.  Patience.....

#50 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,274 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

This thread is pure gold.  It is fun to see some of the Captains of Bullshit who championed the case when the US invaded Iraq, getting their inner hippie peacenik on about actions taken to strike back without invading entire countries for bs reasons.  

#51 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,385 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

Some threads just drone on and on. 

#52 Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Sol No-Ebola Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,274 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

They just catch on like Hellfire.

#53 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,648 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

$10B to support the operation of less than 2000 soldiers? Flat out obscene. A disgusting display of wasteful military spending.

Gaytor, do you EVER get tired of reaffirming to us all what a fucking moron you are? 

Overall, the special operations budget has surged from $6 billion five years ago to more than $10 billion today, according to the Congressional Research Service. Special Operations Command will surpass 60,000 troops next year, as conventional ground troops will shrink by 90,000 in the next five years.

The University of FL called.  They want their diploma back.

#54 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,648 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

They just catch on like Hellfire.

With laser precision.

#55 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Overall, the special operations budget has surged from $6 billion five years ago to more than $10 billion today, according to the Congressional Research Service. Special Operations Command will surpass 60,000 troops next year, as conventional ground troops will shrink by 90,000 in the next five years.

See, everybody's special.

#56 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,648 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

There's a LOT of support guys in there.  It used to be that SF was very dependent on the other services for lots of stuff.  I think the failed iran embassy hostage rescue debacle convinced them that having a lot of that dedicated capability for airlift, boatlift and lots and lots of other support they require organic to their units so they can train together was the beginning of the growth of SF.  Of course the GWOT exponentially accelerated that, but I think the organic support was mostly built in by that time.

Yes, they ARE very special.

#57 Murphy Moose

Murphy Moose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

Deservedly so. We're not fighting any major land battles anymore - unless something goes REALLY wrong with the State Department. 

#58 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

There's a LOT of support guys in there.  It used to be that SF was very dependent on the other services for lots of stuff.  I think the failed iran embassy hostage rescue debacle convinced them that having a lot of that dedicated capability for airlift, boatlift and lots and lots of other support they require organic to their units so they can train together was the beginning of the growth of SF.  Of course the GWOT exponentially accelerated that, but I think the organic support was mostly built in by that time.

Yes, they ARE very special.

That makes them great for small engagements.  Winning ideological wars, not so much.

Remember the old saw about the generals preparing for yesterdays battle?

#59 Battlecheese

Battlecheese

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

It's interesting to ponder the subsequent events if the Russians raided Qatar and killed or kidnapped some suitably senior people in relation to their blatant funding of terrorism in Syria?

#60 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,632 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:08 AM

The Navy knows it's got to self-promote their own Hoplites lest they not be allowed to keep them. He's not exactly right about Deltas coming into existence in 79. The Green berets have had Deltas from day one. They were organized into four distinct groups: Alphas prepared to help indigenous people fight, Bravos trained to help governments fight insurgents (these groups kinda got mixed together a lot), Charlies were CC, and Deltas were "everything else" -mostly wet work. After Nam they tried to rid themselves of those pesky, cantankerous, too-often-right-for-their-own-good-smarty-pants soldier/snake-eating scholars in A and B.

#61 mikewof

mikewof

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,277 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

#62 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,431 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

The raid in Somalia does not appear to have gone as planned. ...

To say the least.

How the SEAL raid in Somalia went bad

The SEALs entered the compound and took the positions they had selected based on the intelligence collected in advance of the raid.

Then a lone al Shabaab fighter walked out into plain view, smoked a cigarette, and went back inside, one source familiar with the details of the raid said. The fighter played it cool, and gave no indication that he had spotted the SEALs. But he came back out shooting, firing rounds from an AK-47 assault rifle.

Soon the American commandos were under siege from the warlord’s well-armed fighters. Gunfire swept toward their positions and grenades began to rain down, multiple military sources said.

Several of the SEALs could see Ikrima through the windows of the compound, but couldn’t get to him. The SEALs continued to take fire while trying to find a way to get closer to their target.

And then the children came into the pictures on their scopes.

The suspect was barricaded and heavily protected by armed men, and now children were intermingled among the fighters and in danger of dying. Then the whole town of Barawe began to erupt and more armed fighters were seen heading for Ikrima’s compound. Soon there would be fewer than two dozen Americans against hundreds of Somalis.

The SEALs opted to withdraw.

They didn't welcome us as liberators.

#63 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,540 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

To say the least.

>The SEALs entered the compound and took the positions they had selected based on the intelligence collected in advance of the raid.

Then a lone al Shabaab fighter walked out into plain view, smoked a cigarette, and went back inside, one source familiar with the details of the raid said. The fighter played it cool, and gave no indication that he had spotted the SEALs. But he came back out shooting, firing rounds from an AK-47 assault rifle.

Soon the American commandos were under siege from the warlord’s well-armed fighters. Gunfire swept toward their positions and grenades began to rain down, multiple military sources said.

Several of the SEALs could see Ikrima through the windows of the compound, but couldn’t get to him. The SEALs continued to take fire while trying to find a way to get closer to their target.

The suspect was barricaded and heavily protected by armed men, and now children were intermingled among the fighters and in danger of dying. Then the whole town of Barawe began to erupt and more armed fighters were seen heading for Ikrima’s compound. Soon there would be fewer than two dozen Americans against hundreds of Somalis.

The SEALs opted to withdraw.

An armed citizenry can be dangerous.

#64 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,648 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

To say the least.

>The SEALs entered the compound and took the positions they had selected based on the intelligence collected in advance of the raid.

The SEALs opted to wit

hdraw.

An armed citizenry can be dangerous.

say it isn't so.....

#65 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

I hate it when that happens.

http://www.nytimes.c...ando-raids.html

#66 Battlecheese

Battlecheese

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Gullible fool.

It appears that the state dept reads PA and upon noting my harsh criticism have decided Egypt is now a coup, and is out of the running for big military handouts.

http://www.state.gov...3/10/215258.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users