• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#301 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

The boat with a bow wins?

There is a God.

Yeah. And thank, God. Otherwise the blunt thing would become a trend...and we all know it's not pretty.

#302 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

Just got off the phone with winning skipper Benoit, who told me he has been reading Sailing Anarchy every day since he was 15 years old.  20+ minutes just compressing now.  Got most of the audio sorted, bad connections in Guadeloupe but a great interview.  he's a gem of a kid.  

Said the scow is significantly faster on any beat or reach.  Benoit's boat could only compete downwind and light air upwind, and that makes his accomplishment all the more amazing.  Fun fact:  He had NO IDEA he won the race until the finishing RIB told him.  In this day and age that is just wild!  Imagine the feeling when this has been your life's goal since you could talk.

#303 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:34 AM

Couldn't get all questions in but still a great chat with a great dude.  it's on the front page.  you know - www.sailinganarchy.com

download for listening in the car here,

https://soundcloud.c...13-mini-transat

#304 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Herding cats

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:41 AM

Thanks Clean. Always good to see such a cool event get coverage on SA. 

#305 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

One of the best events in the whole sport, and one that really embodies the spirit and qualities I most love about sailing.  Now if a yank could just win one...

#306 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:33 AM

Just need something like this:

http://www.polefinistere.com/

or 

http://www.artemisoffshoreacademy.com/

Oakcliff is moving in a good direction. 

#307 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

Just need something like this:

http://www.polefinistere.com/

or 

http://www.artemisoffshoreacademy.com/

Oakcliff is moving in a good direction. 

Or this http://www.glenans.a...ol-of-life.html - spent a day in the Glenans this summer.  Watched the kids basically have brecki - rig, go sailing around the Archipeligo.  Beach for lunch - back out to sail for another 4+ hrs.  Derig, dinner and sleep  For weeks at a time.

#308 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:51 AM

Couldn't get all questions in but still a great chat with a great dude.  it's on the front page.  you know - www.sailinganarchy.com

download for listening in the car here,

https://soundcloud.c...13-mini-transat

This rocks Clean!

Front page stuff

#309 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:17 AM

any sense that pedoit had problems in the run in?

#310 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

"Bowsprit broken 300nm before the finish, a lot of lamination work from the Canary Islands aboard the 747 - Prysmian, disappointment but sailing is a mechanical sport: Here are the main topics discussed by Giancarlo Pedote in his interview on arrival at the dock Marina Bas-du-Fort to listen here."

That's pretty much what it looked like from the tracker. Great race from those guys.

#311 2to1

2to1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Black Holes

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

One of the best events in the whole sport, and one that really embodies the spirit and qualities I most love about sailing.  Now if a yank could just win one...

+1. 21ft. offshore raceboat= good times and sleigh rides. pack another bowl.

#312 Colibri

Colibri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

667 built in 2007 raced 4 "Mini Transats" and won 2.

not bad........

#313 FastButNotFurious

FastButNotFurious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

There is a God.

Yeah. And thank, God. Otherwise the blunt thing would become a trend...and we all know it's not pretty.

Guys just focus on performance. The Raison scow Mini is faster in all angles, all conditions. These are the facts.

One after the other the critics were proved wrong: "only good in some angles", "not for upwind", "not for bad weather", "Raison was lucky with the weather in 2011", "Raison was a very good sailor" and so on...

Now comes one more naval architect, Benoit Marie, after beating the 747 and confirms it once again.

Last criticism left is about aesthetics. The most subjective of all. Just think of what our grand parents thought was sexy...

#314 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Just think of what our grand parents thought was sexy...

EEEWWWW - can't get that image out of my head....

#315 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

There is a God.

Guys just focus on performance. The Raison scow Mini is faster in all angles, all conditions. These are the facts.

One after the other the critics were proved wrong: "only good in some angles", "not for upwind", "not for bad weather", "Raison was lucky with the weather in 2011", "Raison was a very good sailor" and so on...

Now comes one more naval architect, Benoit Marie, after beating the 747 and confirms it once again.

Last criticism left is about aesthetics. The most subjective of all. Just think of what our grand parents thought was sexy...

That's not what he said.  He said it was faster upwind and reaching in anything above light air.  So almost any condition.

#316 FastButNotFurious

FastButNotFurious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

There is a God.

That's not what he said.  He said it was faster upwind and reaching in anything above light air.  So almost any condition.

Ok true.

What is "light" air? 3-4kts of wind?

Back in the 2011 minitransat Joerg Riechers was getting upset because no matter what he was doing 747 was going faster. And his Mini was not at all a crapy one!

Benoit Marie made a great accomplishment indeed!

#317 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

That's probably true. Transoceanic races are almost never won in light air. Considering Pedote's damage at the end, I wouldn't consider this a light air victory either. It reminds me of how ABN AMRO wasn't as quick as the FARR 70s in light air. We see how that ended.

That said, i think 667 is the prettiest of all the prototype minis.

With everything Benoit experienced, even the victory, I wonder which boat he'd choose for the next transat.

#318 Big Show

Big Show

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

That's probably true. Transoceanic races are almost never won in light air. Considering Pedote's damage at the end, I wouldn't consider this a light air victory either. It reminds me of how ABN AMRO wasn't as quick as the FARR 70s in light air. We see how that ended.

That said, i think 667 is the prettiest of all the prototype minis.

With everything Benoit experienced, even the victory, I wonder which boat he'd choose for the next transat.

I suspect the one that would have beaten him had it not had prod damage 300nm from the finish but that's pure speculation on my part. 

#319 prime8

prime8

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

Uncertainty caused by the second place finish can be seen as an opportunity for those who believe the scow is inevitably faster. How much did Pedote pay for the boat? Seems crazy that no one would jump on having another one made now.

#320 Joan Pons Semelis

Joan Pons Semelis

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:42 AM

There is a God.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#321 Panoramix

Panoramix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

I am surprised that nobody's talking of Remi Fermin. The man finished 3rd on a fixed keel GRP boat he designed and built himself on a restricted budget! He was aiming to finish in the top 10 and if you look at his route, you realise that he followed a very clean strategy and that he wasn't afraid from going away from the pack!

In term of routing he did a sterling job IMHO.

#322 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

I am surprised that nobody's talking of Remi Fermin. The man finished 3rd on a fixed keel GRP boat he designed and built himself on a restricted budget! He was aiming to finish in the top 10 and if you look at his route, you realise that he followed a very clean strategy and that he wasn't afraid from going away from the pack!

In term of routing he did a sterling job IMHO.

Seriously? I had no idea. That is awesome. 

#323 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

I didn't either until the finish.  Fantastic.  Very nice looking boat too.  Remi is a bit of  a hero now.

#324 FastButNotFurious

FastButNotFurious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Uncertainty caused by the second place finish can be seen as an opportunity for those who believe the scow is inevitably faster. How much did Pedote pay for the boat? Seems crazy that no one would jump on having another one made now.

Lets wait and see, maybe some will jump on.

Obsessions and lack of open mind has played some role here. Many do not want to admit it openly but they (want to) try to do the same as much as possible but without making the bow look round, they just do it only below waterline.

Take look at the new Pogo3... 

Is it for aesthetic reasons that they do so? Marketing? Are they afraid of being considered copiers/plagiarists? Ego?

#325 mrpelicano

mrpelicano

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:Racing sailboats, bicycling (road and mtb), guitar, wine, travel, pit bulls.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Let's also not forget Bruno Garcia hanging with the fast boys in a 1998 Lombard design, until Delesne finally managed to get past him and take off after Fermin.  The same Delesne who had to hand steer for a couple days when his fuel cell failed, stopped off in Lanzarote to replace it, then reeled in everyone except Marie, Pedote and Fermin.  You think he wasn't pushing it to the limit?  The MT is truly an epic race, and this year was no exception.  Can't wait for the next one.

#326 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

This is the same Bertrand Delesne who was the first to do over 300 miles in a mini as well. Plus he's a really great guy, not to say anyone in the class is not. 

#327 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

It's been a great race.  The classic adventure existed in this one.  I think the lack of a stop in the canaries allowed the story to grow to some extent.  Usually the fleet takes it's licks on the shorter first leg with the rougher weather etc... repair in the stop over, then start fresh on the second longer, less brutal leg.  It becomes more about boat speed during the overall course when you can repair your boat with the whole fleet tied up next to you then shoot off again. This wasn't like that.

#328 Panoramix

Panoramix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Let's also not forget Bruno Garcia hanging with the fast boys in a 1998 Lombard design, until Delesne finally managed to get past him and take off after Fermin.  The same Delesne who had to hand steer for a couple days when his fuel cell failed, stopped off in Lanzarote to replace it, then reeled in everyone except Marie, Pedote and Fermin.  You think he wasn't pushing it to the limit?  The MT is truly an epic race, and this year was no exception.  Can't wait for the next one.

Indeed!

I was fearing that the scow design woud "kill" the proto race but in fact it hasn't. It's more the Nacira 6.5 which did this to the series fleet.

#329 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

Well Craig Horsfield is one of those interesting "There but for Grace" luck stories.   T-boned with himself at fault (Port Starboard) minutes out of Douarnenez, he packed up his boat, flew home,  only to get convinced by supporters here to make the Sada start.  He made the start  made it through the Canaries and was sitting 6th in Series and 12th overall when he had to go for a swim to repair a broken rudder.  got back on board, but the delay cost him as he ended up missing the exit from the lull that came across the fleet, and he fell to 11th in Series.

But that yo-yo of emotions: Start, Crash, go home, Come back, Crunch to get the boat fixed, drive through two nights to get to Sada resplash, make sure it all still works - and then race... is pretty hard core

#330 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

22 miles til Belloir finishes, and 280 miles between him and second place.  That's kind of a lot.

#331 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Belloir is quite impressive.

#332 6times7

6times7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

Well Craig Horsfield is one of those interesting "There but for Grace" luck stories.   T-boned with himself at fault (Port Starboard) minutes out of Douarnenez, he packed up his boat, flew home,  only to get convinced by supporters here to make the Sada start.  He made the start  made it through the Canaries and was sitting 6th in Series and 12th overall when he had to go for a swim to repair a broken rudder.  got back on board, but the delay cost him as he ended up missing the exit from the lull that came across the fleet, and he fell to 11th in Series.

But that yo-yo of emotions: Start, Crash, go home, Come back, Crunch to get the boat fixed, drive through two nights to get to Sada resplash, make sure it all still works - and then race... is pretty hard core

Another one is Pip Hare, part time campaign this year, and had to stop in Portugal with a broken spreader, went from 36th to 20ish when lots stopped in Lanzarote, and picked up more spots mid atlantic with a more northely route, but pushed it a bit too far, currently 13th ish, 

Sure there are stories like Craig's and Pips through the fleet - I've total respect for all of them - complete nutters!

#333 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Well actually, Norton Smith won the second edition of the race in 1979.  At the time the race was still organized by Bob Salmon and started in Cornwall rather than France.

#334 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

The mighty American Express. Wylie hull, water ballast and a repurposed Moore 24 deck

In 2009 Norton was mulling the idea of getting another mini, don't know what ever became of that. 

http://joecoopersail...2013/11/ax7.jpg

#335 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Well actually, Norton Smith won the second edition of the race in 1979.  At the time the race was still organized by Bob Salmon and started in Cornwall rather than France.

Sorry, should have written "Now if a yank could just win one in my wife's lifetime"

#336 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

Sorry, should have written "Now if a yank could just win one in my wife's lifetime"

I had understood but couldn't resist :) if only to remind everybody who had forgotten that single handed or short handed ocean racing has not always been a "French thing". It's just that they really embraced the idea and ended up being almost the only ones to organize this type of races.

I'm not familiar with the American sailing landscape, but would a similar race in the US, for example Charleston-Bermuda-Nassau-Charleston, attract anyone?

#337 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Not only did Norton Smith win for the USA, but his "American Express" was impressing everybody as the way to go.

2nd and 3rd had undercanvassed (at today's standard) production boats.

I remember our local "light brigade" designer going on for hours about it, and on how a mini should be wide and planing with a lot of sails.

He missed the goal in 81 when his chined plywood, canard-rudder boat sank (from the rudder), but got 1st + 2nd in '83 (the last Bob Salmon race) with the first "modern looking" mini-designs. see pics from (Histoire de Halfs).

American-Express is the mother of all minis !

Attached Files

#338 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

That is awesome.  Thanks for posting it.

#339 torpenboat

torpenboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Here they are the fresh news!!!

http://www.dailymoti...oit-marie_sport

the "road" movie of Benoit Marie

#340 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

What's amazing to me is how close these boats are.  5-9th are within about 10 miles of each other involved in a gybing duel and 10-13th are 40nm or so behind them and all within 3nm of each other also in a gybing duel

Not much sleeping going on in those series boats

#341 flojo

flojo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

Second !

Attached File  jm.JPG   19.25K   68 downloads

#342 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

Anyone got questions for Justine?  I'm working on getting 10 minutes with her on the phone.

#343 ctutmark

ctutmark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Clean- how much stuff did she break? Both on the aborted leg 1 and the actual race. Sleep average?  

#344 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

In her other interview she mentions not feeling as prepared as she could be - how did she find that affecting her during the race.

What sort of sleep maintenance strategy does she use?

#345 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Craig Horsfield is about 30 mins from the finish.   Tracker has him in 10th.... ranking has him in 8th... Im confused

#346 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:03 AM

Ok Craig finishes 8th... Clean - that's a North Am sailor

#347 Kurt H

Kurt H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Bravo Craig. Despite the chaos of the tracker/position reports it was was actually a 10th. His northerly course was due to inadequate English speaking weather reports. He fought off three boats for that 10th. After that start collision, flying home to Seattle then back, patching his boat, delivering it via truck to Spain, apparently spraining his hand and apparently breaking (and replacing) a rudder, this performance was epic. 

#348 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

yeah the 8th was a glitch in the Transat reporting.  He finished 10th

#349 torpenboat

torpenboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

Here is his itw

http://dai.ly/x1863v7

#350 kokopelli

kokopelli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

What a race!  Congrats to Craig for an epic ride.  I am in awe of your determination.

Well Done!

#351 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Clean- how much stuff did she break? Both on the aborted leg 1 and the actual race. Sleep average?  

Sorry guys, Fiona, the English PR staff working for the MT, had to go home and I had some trouble hooking up with Justine's team...in other words, my interview seems to have slipped through the cracks!  Next time...or I'll see her in France next summer.

Awesome stuff from Craig.  Hopefully we'll hear from him soon as I am on a plane again without much time for the ministas for the next few weeks!

#352 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Message has been passed to Craig

#353 SIR CLEAN

SIR CLEAN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:Integrity.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:51 AM

Awe some...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpiItvEstNk

#354 luff

luff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hi AC,

Exciting video.  Thanx much for sharing.

sal

#355 torpenboat

torpenboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

a good one from Jonas Gerckens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users