#1 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Jimmy Spithill (or "James" as he seems known as lately) hasn't rested much since his historical, incredible come-from-behind victory for the America's Cup.  He spit champagne on Jay Leno last week, delivered a hilarious interview to Stephen Colbert, and even dropped in for the Facebook Generation on an interactive Deadspin chat.

But now it's time for some real questions from some real sailors, and we all know what that means:  A Mr. Clean Skype Innerview with Anarchist-sourced grilling!

So if you want to know what Spithill eats for breakfast or where he poops when racing, don't go here.  If, however, you want to ask some great questions of the Aussie superstar, hit the thread.  Best two questions get a new Sailing Anarchy hat or belt.

ASK AWAY!

Attached Files

#2 yar

yar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:sailing - rigging - deliveries - bay and ocean racing/cruising - navigation - astronomy

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hey Jimmy,

1.) I have a few bits of OR72 B1s wing in my closet in a trash bag. What should I do with them?

2.) Maybe you would like to keep a couple of them to show to your kids or grandkids one day? In any case, any chance you would autograph one of them for me ... maybe even the fastest one?   :D ... next time you defend?

Eric

#3 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Jimmy - An awful lot of people got gobsmacked by the AC72's.

If the AC72's do see a Version 2 then what improvements would you like to see?

Aside from the cost-cutting: What is there to look forward to, with the possibility of going to a smaller foiling cat? Could the racing and the spectacle really be as good as AC34?

#4 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Jimmy - 

When I was in SF watching the first 4 days of racing, I was yelling at you guys from shore - "QUIT FUCKING PINCHING!"

I just want to know if you plan on sending me a consulting check for services rendered.

Thanks

#5 Lightfoot

Lightfoot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

1. There have been stories about how much data collection was done on the boat, and how the data was used to optimize the wing and tuning of the boat. When you are driving what data/metrics/ratios are you watching, and has America's Cup racing entered the age of sailing by numbers and data and no longer by feel?

Follow up: How much driving do you do by feel? and how with all the data available to you do you fit it into your process?

2. Is Jay Leno's chin bigger in real life? 

3. When the boat is doing 40 knots boat speed, and 18-20 VMG does the .5 to 1 knot current difference on either side of the course really have any measurable effect? Were you guys even concerned with it?

4. How do you find puffs when traveling at 40knots. Do you even notice them, when you get in them? Or do you only find out after the fact when looking at BS over time. 

5. Whats your secret in pre starts? How do walk the line between reckless abandon and safely getting to the line on time. 

#6 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

Questions from me:

Now that AC 34 is in the books, how much of the core team is staying on the payroll?

Will ORTUSA consider any other circuits or big events like the TP 52s, VOR, Vendee, World Match racing, etc. between now and the ramp up to AC 35?

Is there any thought about modifying one of the boats to try and set an all out speed record?

Question from my wife:

Boxers or briefs?

#7 strider470

strider470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Sailing photography

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

For the next Cup. Defending with Oracle or Challenging with Australia? That is the question.

#8 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

Question from my wife:

Boxers or briefs?

No need to hide your admiration of Jimmy's package...

#9 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

James, congratulations! Were you the only one responsible for changing the foil rake? Did you have a display to help you get it right?

#10 David Wehr

David Wehr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hey Jimmy - what's going to happen to the existing 72's?  I got so addicted to watching them - I'd love to see  AC72 fleet racing on TV each week.  

#11 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

Question from my wife:

Boxers or briefs?

No need to hide your admiration of Jimmy's package...

Bull Gator I am not...

thankfully.

#12 BayGal

BayGal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Sail Shape, Boats, Rum Drinks, cookies

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

So how much of a letdown is it to be sailing normal boats again? Will an average boat like a j22 ever feel fun again?

#13 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

AC45's: is foiling in their future?

#14 PonderousPelican

PonderousPelican

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

You think it's time to up-pin some of that other crap from the top of AC Anarchy?

#15 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,247 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

King James. You do know the last King James (II) wasn't such a big hit? The English got rid of him in the Glorious Revolution.

OK, a question. Do you think there would have still been a close final if boat #1 hadn't pitchpoled and OR had had another 4 months of development time?

#16 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

AC72's: Cayard said flying an AC72 with adjustable main foil only is like racing a car backwards.

Are active foil controls for rudder or main foil being considered for the next cup?

#17 Marcjsmith

Marcjsmith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Um,

How bad did you shit your pants when you wadded up Boat #1?

#18 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

HIYC: Are you excited about an Australian challenge?

The Aussies have been out of the game for a long time now. But there were three of you in the back the boat this cup. If NZ can put together such a credible challenge - surely you feel that Australia can too?

#19 sailer99

sailer99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

Have you ever been worried when sailing boat 2 that you would pitchpole or wipeout similar to how you did in boat 1?

How did the boat 1 capsize effect how you drove the boat after you got it repaired again?

What is the steering sensitivity change from going 20kts upwind with rudders completely in the water to going 40kts downwind with almost no rudder in the water?

Did having very little rudder in downwind mean more steering with the wing then the rudders?

#20 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

Jimmy,

When you coming to Santa Barbara.  BBQ at my crib!

I fly jets so if Larrys is busy I'll come get ya.

Max

#21 Cakewalk

Cakewalk

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Anything that flys

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hi Jimmy,     If you had a choice would you sail the slower catamarans again or are you ready to step up to a trimaran?

#22 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

James Spithill: Did you have any limits you had to keep under (RED-LINE Stress / Loads etc.)

and if so were they raised as the shore crew worked every night

Or was it just a matter of Going as Fast as Possible

AND

Are you daring enough to Drive me YACHT  "DA-WOODY"  :o  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

AND

When may I buy you some Drinks at Fiddler's

I have a Bunch of friends that would like to Congratulate you when you get back to San Diego :) 

#23 pjfranks

pjfranks

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:wtf is one warning points?

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

1. Did you agree with the course time limit of 40 minutes?

2. What did the engineers come up with to turn the heap around?

#24 fallsailor

fallsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, racing, hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing, yoga, rum... girls that like that stuff too.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Hey Jimmy!

I think it is fair to say that most of us thought that the foils would take a beating from debris or other hazards in the bay. 

Overall, how much damage did the foils incur throughout the AC? 

How much damage could a foil absorb and still be competitive?

Amazing that there were no foil related DNFs etc...

Thanks!

fs

#25 Thistle Drizzle

Thistle Drizzle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Rum and woman

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

What, or how, are you going to contribute to youth sailing in america. (Do you have any plans); financial contributions and/or involvement in youth programs and camps?

Are you willing to face an Aus team, without you on the boat, in the next Cup match? Fallow up; Are you willing to lose the Cup to an Aus team? Granted they win the qualifying event.

#26 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

In according to the NZ media 'The Biggest Cheating Scandal in the History of the Universe': Why the heck were those changes made to the king posts?

#27 foulbottom

foulbottom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

1. After losing 2 races in a row to be down 8-1 and you said "it's a long way from being over", was there some change that you knew about that was coming up?  For example a new set of foils coming out of the oven?

2. When Kostecki called for the foiling tack, why didn't you tell him to stuff it?

#28 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Moding: it looks you found an upwind mode not available to ETNZ. Dalton said you had more active foil control than they had - and that is why you could foil upwind better than them.

So it looks like technology played a role in your victory.

Did "beast mode" enable the more active upwind foil control - or what can you tell us about out-mod'ing the red boat?

#29 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

In Race 17 when you turned toward the line and tagged ETNZ for the THIRD time as you left, this time with the aft corner of the starboard hull, was that intentional?

:D

#30 Pillar Point Pirate

Pillar Point Pirate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

You had some great starts, and in the last races you had some that were dead on the money.  But on many of the starts, particularly when the two boats were heading each other up but there was still enough of a gap to accelerate, it seemed like you (and TENZ) were several seconds late.  On those starts we kept screaming at the screen for you to drop your bows and accelerate a little earlier.  What were you using for judging time and distance to the line?  Line sights, GPS, DR, or all of the above? 

Was it a case of being conservative or just getting used to how long the initial acceleration took once you put the bow down?

#31 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:05 PM

This forum was for a long time dominated by one-eyed NZ zealots, so to throw them a bone:

What were the big strengths of the ETNZ campaign, that had you down 8-1 and facing near-certain death?

#32 AvidSailor

AvidSailor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, sailing dinghies, and naval architecture.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

James,

How much (or if at all) are the RBYAC sailors being considered for joining oracle or other AC sailing teams in the future?

#33 AndreasE_NO

AndreasE_NO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

-Did it take long getting adjusted to the angled wheels? Do you see this added to other boats in the future?

-Will Oracle sell the foiling 45s since they are old techonolgy now? and if so:will they come with both the kingpin options?

#34 MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

MAHGUAH_SCALPS_PILGRIMS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

how much cheating is ok with him ? 

since ortusa was convicted does he have any remorse etc -

and what about defender series -?

Index Number: 653419/2011
The following case which you have subscribed to in eTrack has been updated. Changes from the last update are shown in red and are annotated.

Court: New York Civil Supreme
Index Number: 653419/2011
Case Name: AFRICAN DIASPORA MARITIME vs. GOLDEN GATE YACHT CLUB
Case Type: Cd-Econtract
Track: Complex
Upstate RJI Number: 
Disposition Date: 01/18/2013
Date NOI Due: 
NOI Filed: 
Calendar Number: 
RJI Filed: 01/17/2012
Jury Status: 
Justice Name: KAPNICK, BARBARA

Attorney/Firm for Plaintiff: 
MCDERMOTT WILL & EMERY, LLP
340 MADISON AV, 17TH FL 
NEW YORK, NY 10173
Attorney Type: Attorney Of Record

Attorney/Firm for Defendant: 
BOIES SCHILLER & FLEXNER LLP
575 LEXINGTON AVENUE - 7TH FLR
NEW YORK, NY 10022
Attorney Type: Attorney Of Record

Last Appearance:
Appearance Date: 08/07/2013
Appearance Time: 
On For: Motion
Appearance Outcome: Motion Decided-Open Appearance
Justice: KAPNICK, BARBARA
Part: IAS MOTION 39EFM
Comments: 10:00AM

Future Appearances: --- Information updated
Appearance Date: 11/13/2013 --- Information updated
Appearance Time: --- Information updated
On For: Supreme Initial (first time on) --- Information updated
Appearance Outcome: --- Information updated
Justice: KAPNICK, BARBARA --- Information updated
Part: IAS PRELIMINARY CONFERENCE 39 --- Information updated
Comments: 10:00 AM --- Information updated

#35 mad

mad

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,508 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

Questions from me:

Now that AC 34 is in the books, how much of the core team is staying on the payroll?

Will ORTUSA consider any other circuits or big events like the TP 52s, VOR, Vendee, World Match racing, etc. between now and the ramp up to AC 35?

Is there any thought about modifying one of the boats to try and set an all out speed record?

Question from my wife:

Boxers or briefs?

Which all out speed record do you mean?

#36 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

what are two ways that you think AC 34 will change and/or improve sailing for the average racer?

the technology is out there to build machines that out perform the ability of humans to control them. fighter jets, F1 cars and even the average family car uses computers to improve safety and performance. in some cases like a fighter jet the computer's adjustments are crucial to control the aircraft. would you like to see AC boats embrace computer control of systems to push the envelope of what is possible or do you think it is a change in the nature of the game that isn't welcome?

#37 Dougefresh

Dougefresh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

Will anyone ever explain what changes were made in your foil control to make your boat so much faster and so remarkably steady upwind seemingly overnight?

Considering the disappointment created by the World Series conviction, wouldn't someone from engineering/shore crew feel compelled to come forward and explain the 11th hour performance gain simply to legitimize it to those of us who want to believe it was ingenuity that brought you back from what seemed like long odds? 

#38 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

Does he know what happened to your ETNZ video?

How much of the witnessed improvement was him and Kyle getting used to working together?

Are we right in assuming that all team members who you want to keep have already been given contracts?

Aside from Ben has anyone indicated that they plan on moving on? Would he tell us if they had?

Are they looking for a new branding consultant? Whoever told him to wear his cap on late night TV to show the "brand" is clearly clewless as under lights it is casting a shadow over his face and making him look shady.

#39 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

Will anyone ever explain what changes were made in your foil control to make your boat so much faster and so remarkably steady upwind seemingly overnight?

Considering the disappointment created by the World Series conviction, wouldn't someone from engineering/shore crew feel compelled to come forward and explain the 11th hour performance gain simply to legitimize it to those of us who want to believe it was ingenuity that brought you back from what seemed like long odds? 

Jesus would you people stop already with this shit?  Its getting old as hell.  There was no magic bullet techno gadget.  Full Stop.

Anyone who has spent ANY time racing multihulls knows damn well that when going upwind, pinching is sure death.  As little as 5 degrees to high and you're giving massive gains to the guy who is sailing it properly.  Furthermore they started using proper catamaran tacking techniques where they would fall off slightly after exiting the tack in order to gain speed before heading up on their true course. Again only 5 degrees are needed to accomplish this.

#40 blowboat

blowboat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

Jesus would you people stop already with this shit?  Its getting old as hell.  There was no magic bullet techno gadget.  Full Stop.

Anyone who has spent ANY time racing multihulls knows damn well that when going upwind, pinching is sure death.  As little as 5 degrees to high and you're giving massive gains to the guy who is sailing it properly.  Furthermore they started using proper catamaran tacking techniques where they would fall off slightly after exiting the tack in order to gain speed before heading up on their true course. Again only 5 degrees are needed to accomplish this.

Thanks Jimmy :D

#41 Dougefresh

Dougefresh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

A lack of pinching turned the whole thing around

Genius

#42 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

Genius

Rewatch the early races the pinching upwind a soaking down was painfull for any cat sailor to see and was typical of someone who doesn't have 100% faith in their sheet hand.

Once they decided they were going to run hotter in both directions the wing and foils could be re-moded for those speeds, prod came off when not needed.

Add learning to tack and luck going their way and the rest is history.

#43 Dougefresh

Dougefresh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

Genius

Rewatch the early races the pinching upwind a soaking down was painfull for any cat sailor to see and was typical of someone who doesn't have 100% faith in their sheet hand.

Once they decided they were going to run hotter in both directions the wing and foils could be re-moded for those speeds, prod came off when not needed.

Add learning to tack and luck going their way and the rest is history.

What do you mean "re-moded"?

#44 rdoedens

rdoedens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:17 AM

Hello Jimmy,

In due course, most leading edge technologies introduced on the racing circuit eventually make their way to the mainstream user. However, it seems to me that this race has developed technologies that surpass anything we (regular folk) can can ever hope to benefit from directly. For very practical reasons, foils and fixed-wings will never be a part of the mainstream boater's repertoire. Rather, they will always remain an exclusive part of the elite racing level of sailing.

So to expand on the questions posed earlier by "cement shoes", what components of the technological marvels we witnessed in the AC34 do you think will eventually translate to the "average" boater?

And by the way, congratulations on an incredible win. I don't want you to waste any more good champagne but I was also rooting for the Kiwi's. However you more than earned your reward. Well done.

#45 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

^^
Like that theory. We know that they opened up the wing - assumption is more power down low. They did alter rudder foils a bit - but they had the same set of main foils for the entire series.

Still, they did have some sort of foil control - apparently superior to ET.

It would be nice to know the details - doubt we will find out.

#46 @last

@last

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:18 AM

First congrats-nice job.  Now the questions.

1-What were some of your biggest influences in the road that began somewhere to where you are today, winning skipper of the lastest AC.  IE did you have a mentor/someone you looked up to  in the early days?  Did  your early all youth Australia AC challenge from ages ago where you didn't have a ton of resources help you learn how to deal with adverse situations that you were able to use in present day such as being down by such as large margin, etc.  Perhaps this is several questions but just curious about some of the things that formed you along the road to the present day success.

2-Without pissing off all the cat sailors from above posts about perhaps the debate of if there was a role of tech types in white lab coats sitting behind computer screens doing some type of fluid/flow analysis on supercomputers that aided this whole foil performance like a fly by wire thing in planes (speaking a good distance over my head so apologies if I am getting this comparison all wrong).  Let me ask another question which I do think has some relevance.   Throughout the ages whether you talk about things like hull design, sail design, materials, etc. there is the debate of how much of this is art and how much is science.  I realize that you could have a rocket ship and if the sailors on the boat didn't have a clue on how to make it go it wouldn't work.  That said, how much of what went on is the "art" aspect of it-things like helm feel, feedback the trimmers are getting, etc and how much science, all the quantifiable things like windspeed, boatspeed, rig load-this list is endless for stuff like that.  Modern sailing at times seems like a video game with all the tools/data available, is there still a role for the art side of things?

3-Going up in a fighter jet vs helming one of modern days most technically advance sailing machine-which was the most fun/cooler experience and which vehicle (fight jet vs this years winning AC boat) is higher on the technical development curve.

#47 minimumfuss

minimumfuss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:kiwis winning, sports

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:06 AM

1) How bad did it get in the team after being censured by the IJ, how and who pulled it all back together?

2) Can I have your helmet? Will look cool while I windsurf.

3) How often did you read SA during the cup, did you ever check it between races? Was that how you and Russell decided to play the card based on SA opinion? Also, whats your alias?

4) Who wrote "theres no I in just beat the fuckers"? I figgered that was an Australian.

#48 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hi Jimmy - My question is this. Do your read sailing anarchy and if so, which board in your opinion, has the greatest number of retards - Political Anarchy or AC Anarchy?

#49 Cavandish

Cavandish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

Do you believe the "cavitation wall" will be broken by the time the cup is contested? 

Mast back = Bows up, is elementary knowledge what took so long to apply it?

When someone says "The Boss" do you first think of LE or of RC?

If R.C. Have you ever used "oh yeah mate, hit any good committee boats lately?" as a response?

More fun: Riding in a fighter jet -or- sending RC into the committee boat during the ACWS?

#50 tech

tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Ha ha! Yes, good point! ^^
Jimmy, how was it having a Kiwi as your boss? I heard it was Russ who had the idea to put the bows down a bit upwind.

Tech

#51 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Some good shit here folks.  80 minutes until we chat, so get 'em in if you have any more.

#52 strider470

strider470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Sailing photography

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Jimmy, is there a reason why all the AC72 helmsmen come from monohulls?

It is something I didn't expect.

#53 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

With P27 being turned into a Cruise Ship Terminal and with the Warriors stadium development plans for P32, is there waterfront space left to run another AC in SF?

#54 doesitfloat

doesitfloat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Did you know your boat was faster than TNZL and just spotted them 8 races to make it interesting?

#55 doesitfloat

doesitfloat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

Do you think this is a better comeback than when Hulk Hogan came back to beat Andre the Giant?

#56 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

What are some of the areas of the AC72 design that you think should be standardized in an effort to bring down costs so that more competitors can enter the game?  Wing sections? Hulls/crossbeams? (Question is based off of RC's latest interview)

#57 Lightfoot

Lightfoot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Sailing...

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

How much does he like the King James nickname....

Is it offending because he shares it with the NBA's largest egomaniac? 

Jimmy can you dedicate yourself to bring sailing to the USA public? You would be perfect ambassador to the sport. Thank you for being well spoken and a natural on TV. Whenever you decided to retire, please become a commentator. The english speaking world needs you. 

#58 Cement_Shoes

Cement_Shoes

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Along the lines of the standardization of components question.  What do you think played the biggest deciding factor in the races, wing, foils, hull shape?  I ask this unfairly to you holding crew as a constant. 

I think most of us have begun to view the hulls as a means to connect the wing to the foils.  Viewed like this it would seem reasonable to make the hull standard if partial standardization is considered as a means of keeping down costs for the next cycle.  Are we underestimating the significance of hull design and shape even with the percentage of time not foiling likely to go way down if similar boats are used again?

#59 yar

yar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:sailing - rigging - deliveries - bay and ocean racing/cruising - navigation - astronomy

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi Jimmy,

What one thing did you learn about yourself from this AC?

Eric

#60 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

As you guys became more comfortable with the boat, what do you think the upper limit of these machines should be in their current configuration?

Technologically (assuming crew work is even) what do you think needs to happen in order for the boats to be "safe" in higher winds? (Knowing that you're never truly safe on a sailboat no matter what the boat, wind and body of water is)

Early on in the event - it was widely speculated that there were limited passing lanes upwind due to the course boundaries.  Later we saw ETNZ use the boundary to their advantage (race 3 I believe it was).  Do you feel the boundaries are restrictive to sailing (while being a benefit to spectators) or do you feel they are a boon to both the sailing (additional tactical decisions) and the spectators?

Next question:

Can I be president of your fan club - I'll co-host it with Foghorn77 "Mancrush" :P

#61 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Next time, are we going see as many crew or will the trimming functions be automated or mechanically actuated?

#62 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

That was great, I just love chatting with the guy.  

Not going to do much editing to this one; 1h14m of good talk.  I'll wrap it with an intro and outro and get it up late tonight.

Here's a taste; question was something like 'how the hell did the AC45 cheating thing happen?'

#63 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

I wish I would of saw this thread earlier.  I would of asked him which event had a bigger impact on their respective campaigns, dropping the soft sail rig of the DoGy off San Diego or the OR1 PP?

Bummer.

WetHog  :ph34r:

#64 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

don't worry hoggie - he actually goes into exactly that at one point.

#65 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

In Race 17 when you turned toward the line and tagged ETNZ for the THIRD time as you left, this time with the aft corner of the starboard hull, was that intentional?

:D

As a follow-up, did Denny Hamlin pass some advice from Kyle Busch on rubbin' technique when he visited the base back in July? Or was the boat just a tad loose coming out of the turn?

Ooops, just scrolled to the teaser clip. Save this one for next time..........................

#66 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thanks Clean.

#67 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

Nice way to come out and call him a liar.  They have repeatedly told how they turn things around. 

#68 Doug Lord

Doug Lord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts
  • Interests:Foiler design and development,.........sailing fast,
    movable ballast systems and..... justice.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Clean, I can't thank you enough for this stuff! Looking forward to the larger version....

#69 kadyca

kadyca

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

Sorry I missed the opportunity to submit a question in time, but here is what I would have asked:

Jimmy, you kept on saying how great it was to have so much local support cheering for you and supporting you, but truth be told, as an American and as a San Franciscan local, it was kind of hard to gin up much enthusiasm for a corporate team made up almost entirely of a bunch of foreigners such as yourself.  As far as I could tell, there wasn't even a single GGYC insignia anywhere on the boat or at any of the shoreside venues. The only reason I was even mildly hoping for you guys to win was to have the AC back in SF again, but hopefully next time with a competition that will have at least 6-10 teams in the LVC.

So, the questions is, how can the AC be changed so that locals and nationals have something to cheer for?  It's a big stretch to chant USA, USA, when no one on the team is actually from USA.

#70 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

Sorry I missed the opportunity to submit a question in time, but here is what I would have asked:

Jimmy, you kept on saying how great it was to have so much local support cheering for you and supporting you, but truth be told, as an American and as a San Franciscan local, it was kind of hard to gin up much enthusiasm for a corporate team made up almost entirely of a bunch of foreigners such as yourself.  As far as I could tell, there wasn't even a single GGYC insignia anywhere on the boat or at any of the shoreside venues. The only reason I was even mildly hoping for you guys to win was to have the AC back in SF again, but hopefully next time with a competition that will have at least 6-10 teams in the LVC.

So, the questions is, how can the AC be changed so that locals and nationals have something to cheer for?  It's a big stretch to chant USA, USA, when no one on the team is actually from USA.

Why so much effort to "ask" a question when the interview was already made.  Sorry, but it seems to me that you just wanted to take a shot at them. 

Jimmy is married to an American, he has raced for a team representing America the past two ACs, and won it twice for us, with the first of those bringing the Cup back to American waters for the first time in a couple decades.  The boat was designed by Americans, as well as some foreign nationals.  And, the whole effort is funded by American $$$s.

Sure, it would be nice if more Americans were on the team, but the spirit of the effort is very American.  Maybe more of an effort could be made to have more American's on the team, but every member of the team/organization deserves to have the best possible chance to win, and if that means hiring the best at every position, regardless of the nation of their origin, I'm guessing every member of that team is for that.

Frankly, I have no problem supporting OR with respect to the nationality.  As a team full of the best from around the world, sailors that are the best of the best and wanting to compete at the highest level, they DO represent America.  They are racing with the point of retaining the Cup for America, and they have the spirit of Americans, whether they were born here or not.

#71 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Is the full innerview up yet?

edit, did I read 'Monday' somewhere?

#72 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yes yes very good question. And what do you think Jimmy would say? "Yes I believe everyone who was not born in Americia should not sail on an American boat"???

I think you should ask jimmy how to get your head out of your own arse. Who chants USA at a sailing race? What do you think this is the fucking wrestling?

#73 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

The boat did have a big GGYC burgee on the top of the aft aero package.

In terms of the nationality of the crew, he already answered that question in a previous interview - he doesn't think the color of the passport makes any difference, and if it makes you feel better, cheer for another team if you choose. Like LE said, in professional sports some cheer for the home team, others cheer for individual players - take your pick. This argument has been beaten to death.

#74 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

Have you considered taking the AC to space? Harnessing the solar winds would allow tou to achieve ludicrous vmg. Plus it would limit the pool of competitors.

#75 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:40 AM

Sure.....................it's always posted on a Monday.  ;)

#76 skins

skins

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

Love the SF liberals...only they can propose a question with 1000 words of spin before the poorly positioned question can be asked.

There were plenty of OR supporters around throughout the event. Quite a majority for the last part of the match.

Post event, Ive had many instances on the streets of Palo Alto where people have pulled me aside just for wearing an OR shirt telling me how exciting the racing was and how much they enjoyed seeing the TEAM win it.

Enjoy being a hater kady...support whom ever you want. Don't make a stupid general statement about how the 'Americans' or SF residents felt about OR winning.

Your opinion is valued but you cannot speak for a city or country

#77 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:32 AM

chill out.  i'm working on it.

#78 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:40 AM

Do you have to upload it from the Caribbean ?

#79 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

"Just upload it to youtube!" they said.  "Anyone can do it." they said.

"Just 77 minutes of HD video...no problem" they said.

yeah, yeah, another expert.

Attached Files

#80 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:40 AM

don't worry hoggie - he actually goes into exactly that at one point.

Sweet.  It was made clear dropping the soft rig was a turning point for BMWO because they jumped in with both feet with the wing as a consequence.  Would think the same for the OR1 PP.  Sure design issues might of been highlighted as a result, but what about psychologically?  OR went looking for the edge of out of control and found it.  They also lived to learn from it.  Had to be a benefit to know how hard to push in "fresh" conditions in SF Bay.  Where as ETNZ found the edge when they probably didn't need to with the crash dive in the LVC and their near complete broach during the AC final.   

And I do appreciate the effort getting these interviews done, Clean.  Just next time say you will get it posted on here "as soon as possible" instead of measurable time frames like "late tonight".  Might make things a bit easier on you.  ;)

#81 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

Yes it has been there the whole time:

14wmlf.jpg

#82 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:41 AM

"Just upload it to youtube!" they said.  "Anyone can do it." they said.

"Just 77 minutes of HD video...no problem" they said.

yeah, yeah, another expert.

Oracle manages to do it - talk to them.

Oh that's right, that bridge is burned.

#83 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,444 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:52 AM

14wmlf.jpg

I went to GGYC and bitched to Norbert about it a year ago, along with others.

That's probably why they took so long to display it, but it eventually got done.

#84 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

14wmlf.jpg

That's probably why they took so long to display it, but it eventually got done.

They had no problems displaying it on the DoGy so maybe OR waited until boat design got finalized and/or waited for the AC to actually start before putting the bergee on?

Regardless, when the AC final started the GGYC bergee and San Francisco, CA was there.

WetHog

#85 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

14wmlf.jpg

They had no problems displaying it on the DoGy so maybe OR waited until boat design got finalized and/or waited for the AC to actually start before putting the bergee on?

Regardless, when the AC final started the GGYC bergee and San Francisco, CA was there.

WetHog

#86 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Oracle manages to do it - talk to them.

Oh that's right, that bridge is burned.

Clearly Oracle and its employeess have been handed down the word that SA is persona non grata.  Just ask jimmy.

I dare you to show me a 77 minute interview anywhere on any AC team's media channels.  Then show me one that was posted less than 24 hours after shot.  If you intend to show me Oracle Open World don't bother; give me 1/100th of their media budget and I'd have an unending stream of perfect video content going to the web.

Or fuck off back to the hole you cram your tubby ass into when you're not trolling the interwebs. ;)

#87 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

Chill, Clean ;)

Looking forward to it and thanx for the preview clip of the QnA that I asked for.

#88 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the interview Clean.. I know you get passionate about this stuff - but... that teaser just whetted my appetite for more... badly.

Wish you could have been in SF to hang out with over a couple...

#89 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

i know brother, but we all gotta make our choices!  This thing is almost done, just waiting on Compressor.  One of these days I need to go and get a 16 core Mac Pro and stop dicking around.  You'd think having four Macs that are pretty new would be enough, but not for hour-plus long video...or GoPros at 120 fps...

You can also thank Dan Meyers for SA's lack of presence at the AC.  We had no budget for it thanks to another 10k or so spent last month on legal, and unless we could do it right, we weren't going to do it at all.

Too good to watch from home, and very important to evaluate how, in fact, Ellison's 'vision' worked for the average homebound viewer.  Worked pretty good!

#90 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

i know brother, but we all gotta make our choices!  This thing is almost done, just waiting on Compressor.  One of these days I need to go and get a 16 core Mac Pro and stop dicking around.  You'd think having four Macs that are pretty new would be enough, but not for hour-plus long video...or GoPros at 120 fps...

You can also thank Dan Meyers for SA's lack of presence at the AC.  We had no budget for it thanks to another 10k or so spent last month on legal, and unless we could do it right, we weren't going to do it at all.

Too good to watch from home, and very important to evaluate how, in fact, Ellison's 'vision' worked for the average homebound viewer.  Worked pretty good!

Word.  Kate was wondering where you were.  In fact she asked me "Are you sure Clean's not here?"  Made me wonder what the hell you guys were doing back in the hotel room when I was on the water 8+ hours at a time :P

#91 Vox

Vox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Creative Cloud might be a better option for you if you're frequently doing this stuff on the road (but have a good internet connection).

#92 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Queue the Dylan:

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'.

#93 GauchoGreg

GauchoGreg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Dealing with video IS a full-blown pain in the ass, isn't it.  I have hours and hours of family stuff that needs to be made conveniently usable, and just can't find the time to do it. 

Your work on these interviews is VERY much appreciated.

#94 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

Streaming now on www.ustream.tv/user/sailinganarchy if you want to check it as it streams.

will be available for viewing afterwards.  My sound got completely fucked in compression though Jimmy's is good.  Jimmy's video got the same thing though mine is good.  Using a new Skype recorder that still has some teething issues apparently...

Anyway very watchable.  

#95 MauganNacra20

MauganNacra20

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Clean,

I have to recommend using Google Plus Hangouts for these kinds of things.  They automatically upload to Youtube so you don't have to go through all of this shite.

And people can watch it live without going through crappy ustream :P

#96 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Youtube won't take them at over an hour without a $pecial account, and since it is impossible to speak to a human there I stopped trying.

Never used hangouts, but interested!  

Ustream may suck, but it's the easiest to use.
Video streaming by Ustream

#97 MrSurly

MrSurly

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

'Content is unavailable on this device'
Bummer, for iOS users. Though confusing cause I know I've watched ustream content before, even live. Hmm.
There is no shame in splitting into shorter segments.
Would make your uploading and overall processing easier too. This a lesson AC media hasn't learned either. Some devices have trouble playing longer content(my yt enabled DVD player for example).

#98 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

I'll put it somewhere else too.  

#99 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

IOS friendly if you have one of the Mega apps or you have control of your idevice's file system.  Very fast download, likes Firefox or Chrome.

Jimmy 2013.mp4 (766.8 MB)

#100 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,997 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

And here's one that may be more IOS friendly but not sure.  Good for 7 days.

http://we.tl/CNr0IN3TPc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ask, interview, jimmy spithill, americas cup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users