19 replies to this topic

#1 Seaferns

Seaferns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

some of you may have seen occasional updates from me regarding the problems being faced by sailors and the sport of sailing here in India. most of these problems stem from the fact that the national governing body for sailing - Yachting Association of India - has zero stakeholders involved in the active management. Decisions are made by Admirals and Generals who have probably never even been on the water. And the President, the Chief of Naval Staff is either too busy blowing up submarines during peace time http://articles.econ...navy-sindhugosh or giving the families of serving officers a taste of the real thing http://news.blogs.cn...itary-families/

the most recent action by the Yachting Association of India was to deny the renewal of Annual Associate Membership for myself and 3 other sailors. the reason? because our "actions in the past have been noted to be injurious to the character / interests of the Yachting Association of India."

All 4 sailors have been part of the National Squad for Match Racing over the past 3 years, and have consistently been placed first or second in the Match Race National Championships.

This refusal of membership will mean that these 4 sailors cannot compete at the upcoming Asian Games selection trials or go on to represent India at the Asian Games, where Match Race is one of the disciplines.

Does anyone know how exactly we could petition ISAF to reverse this decision? What is the proper channel? Who is the contact person? Any and all ideas appreciated at this stage.

Attached Files

#2 bgytr

bgytr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Did these folks do something to piss off people in important places?

#3 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Were these peoples palms greased with the right amount of grease? I know at least InChina a little goes a long way.. Kind of like brill cream .

#4 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Wow.  Didn't someone die recently at a Indian dinghy regatta?  Anyone remember that?

#5 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Clean - you might want to drop the letters - not sure those folks agreed to have their letters published. Maybe they did, but it's hard to say.

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,329 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

ferns; i assume you are one of the recipients of the letter?  Are there any other documents from the Federation about these alleged acts that have assaulted the character of Indian Yachting?

#7 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,223 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

ferns; i assume you are one of the recipients of the letter?  Are there any other documents from the Federation about these alleged acts that have assaulted the character of Indian Yachting?

Give them a call. The yachting association of India has got to have a call centre surely.

#8 Keith

Keith

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

Give them a call. The yachting association of India has got to have a call centre surely.

Yes the call center is in Halifax....

#9 DISHONEST ASSHOLE

DISHONEST ASSHOLE

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Rum and Cougars

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Maybe Ferns and the others are well known grifters in their hometown?

#10 In the Jailhouse Now

In the Jailhouse Now

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:09 AM

Complain to ISAF.

Yachting Association of India should not be a government run program.

It can be government funded but it should be up to the citizens that actual got Yachting to run the program.

Maybe this proves that India is still a 3rd World Country with Nukes.

#11 Kent H

Kent H

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

http://www.sailingti...nationals-2013/

#12 Seaferns

Seaferns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:36 AM

just to clarify one of letters is addressed to me. the other 3 athletes have no problem whatsoever placing these letters in a public domain so i'm not breaching any confidences by sharing this information.

#13 Seaferns

Seaferns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

Complain to ISAF.

Yachting Association of India should not be a government run program.

It can be government funded but it should be up to the citizens that actual got Yachting to run the program.

Maybe this proves that India is still a 3rd World Country with Nukes.

I have already written to Ben Barger from the ISAF Athletes Commission with a copy of Alistair Fox who is head of competitions. I'd appreciate any information on other channels within the ISAF maze which may yield quicker results.

#14 Grrr...

Grrr...

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:19 AM

While your letters are interesting, What precipated the rejection?

#15 Seaferns

Seaferns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

as to what precipitated the rejection, firstly i'd like to clarify that

(A) YAI's choice of words 'application for annual associate membership' is calculated to deceive - these athletes were not applying for membership. indeed they had been admitted as members several years ago. these athletes were only paying their annual subscriptions. YAI has not accepted the payment, and has termed it as a rejection of "application for annual associate membership"

(B) the Constitution of the Yachting Association of India (YAI) provides 4 clear scenarios under which membership may be terminated (1) the member requests in writing to 'retire' his membership - the athletes concerned have not made any such request (2) the member is adjudicated bankrupt  - the athletes concerned have not been adjudicated bankrupt (3) the General Body can terminate the membership of any member provided the member is given a chance to present their case - this is clearly not the case here, since YAI last held a General Body meeting in April of 2011 and there has been no General Body meeting since (4) subscription remains unpaid for more than 1 year after it becomes due - this is not the case since the subscriptions of the athletes became due on 1 January 2013 and one year had not elapsed.

i can hazard a guess as to why these applications were rejected:

Between 2005 and 2009 Match Racing in India became something of a phenomenon, largely due to the Match Race Association of India, its open door policy, free coaching camps, and altogether an absence of red tape and bureaucracy. the match racing fraternity went from strength to strength and very soon neighbouring countries like Bahrain, Thailand, Qatar were catching the fever. Indian teams have been regular participants at match race events on Russian, Polish and Baltic match race circuits. Skippers like Arbuzov and Hansen became friends. and in turn India became the first Asian country to host a Grade 2 event the Mumbai International Match Race - which saw participants like Olli Pekka / Jes Gram Hansen / Laurie Jury. Medals in Match Race at every Asian Sailing Championship and Asian Games where MR has featured are testimony to the proficiency teams in this format of racing. This level of autonomy worried the powers that be at the YAI. Match racing was robbing a lot of attention from the pet project of YAI which was 29er sailing. Since most MR teams and campaigns were self funded there was no way that YAI could break this momentum except refuse to sanction the grading forms for events held in India. this was the reason why the successful Mumbai International Match Race could not continue.

In 2010, YAI tried its best to sabotage the Asian Games Match Race campaign so that the teams debacle would be reason enough to bury the discipline. The team asked for established match race coaches like Hansen / Arbuzov / but the YAI appointed an unknown coach with dubious credentials - DAve Atkinson. Despite the uphill battle the MR team returned from AG 2010 with a silver medal, barely a month later the Match Race Association of India was shut down by the YAI. At this point of time several match racers in the country wrote strong letters of support for the Match Race Association of India, urging YAI not to try and fix something which was actually a Model Federation in its design and functioning. Since then these sailors who spoke up against the actions of the Federation have been marked with a target. YAI cannot run the risk of match race securing yet another asian games medal thereby further diverting lime light from its pet 29er program. YAI cannot terminate the membership of the skippers who have been accepted as Life Members of YAI. Hence they have destroyed the team by hitting out at key team members.

#16 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Boats and trees.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

as to what precipitated the rejection, firstly i'd like to clarify that

(A) YAI's choice of words 'application for annual associate membership' is calculated to deceive - these athletes were not applying for membership. indeed they had been admitted as members several years ago. these athletes were only paying their annual subscriptions. YAI has not accepted the payment, and has termed it as a rejection of "application for annual associate membership"

( B) the Constitution of the Yachting Association of India (YAI) provides 4 clear scenarios under which membership may be terminated (1) the member requests in writing to 'retire' his membership - the athletes concerned have not made any such request (2) the member is adjudicated bankrupt  - the athletes concerned have not been adjudicated bankrupt (3) the General Body can terminate the membership of any member provided the member is given a chance to present their case - this is clearly not the case here, since YAI last held a General Body meeting in April of 2011 and there has been no General Body meeting since (4) subscription remains unpaid for more than 1 year after it becomes due - this is not the case since the subscriptions of the athletes became due on 1 January 2013 and one year had not elapsed.

i can hazard a guess as to why these applications were rejected:

Between 2005 and 2009 Match Racing in India became something of a phenomenon, largely due to the Match Race Association of India, its open door policy, free coaching camps, and altogether an absence of red tape and bureaucracy. the match racing fraternity went from strength to strength and very soon neighbouring countries like Bahrain, Thailand, Qatar were catching the fever. Indian teams have been regular participants at match race events on Russian, Polish and Baltic match race circuits. Skippers like Arbuzov and Hansen became friends. and in turn India became the first Asian country to host a Grade 2 event the Mumbai International Match Race - which saw participants like Olli Pekka / Jes Gram Hansen / Laurie Jury. Medals in Match Race at every Asian Sailing Championship and Asian Games where MR has featured are testimony to the proficiency teams in this format of racing. This level of autonomy worried the powers that be at the YAI. Match racing was robbing a lot of attention from the pet project of YAI which was 29er sailing. Since most MR teams and campaigns were self funded there was no way that YAI could break this momentum except refuse to sanction the grading forms for events held in India. this was the reason why the successful Mumbai International Match Race could not continue.

In 2010, YAI tried its best to sabotage the Asian Games Match Race campaign so that the teams debacle would be reason enough to bury the discipline. The team asked for established match race coaches like Hansen / Arbuzov / but the YAI appointed an unknown coach with dubious credentials - DAve Atkinson. Despite the uphill battle the MR team returned from AG 2010 with a silver medal, barely a month later the Match Race Association of India was shut down by the YAI. At this point of time several match racers in the country wrote strong letters of support for the Match Race Association of India, urging YAI not to try and fix something which was actually a Model Federation in its design and functioning. Since then these sailors who spoke up against the actions of the Federation have been marked with a target. YAI cannot run the risk of match race securing yet another asian games medal thereby further diverting lime light from its pet 29er program. YAI cannot terminate the membership of the skippers who have been accepted as Life Members of YAI. Hence they have destroyed the team by hitting out at key team members.

"Absolute power corrupts, absolutely"

I feel for you ferns, and I agree that representations should be addressed to ISAF.

ISAF will most likely back the incumbents and take NO action.

That's what they do. It is what it is.

However, an intelligent and un-emotive appeal to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) may be another angle to attack. Even though MR is not an Olympic event, the sport of yachting IS!

Bucking any bureaucracy is extraordinarily difficult. A bureaucracy made up of Generals with big guns is not something I’d like to tackle.

But I wish you luck.

#17 bgytr

bgytr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Can you establish your own match racing organization and totally side step yai?

#18 flatearth

flatearth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:14 AM

What's the site of match racing in India now? You mention growth in 05-09.

#19 Seaferns

Seaferns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

that was the intention once the Yachting Association of India refused to sanction the Grade 2 Mumbai International Match Race

however the MNA has to sanction the grading forms and the results if they are to be counted towards the sailor's ISAF ranking

hence there is no way to circumvent the MNA

the only other avenue is to get recognized directly by ISAF as  special event like WMRT and since our operations are local and mostly focused on the west coast of India, with a calendar of 4-5 grade 3 events and one grade 2 event annually, I am not sure ISAF would look favourably upon giving us recognition as a 'special event'

thanks for your interest in our cause and participating in this dialogue

Can you establish your own match racing organization and totally side step yai?

#20 Seaferns

Seaferns

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

during the best years of match racing there were 2 indian teams in the top 50

and 4 indian teams in the top 100

in addition weekend clinics would have 100 match racers (around 20 teams) out on the water over a Saturday and sunday alternately racing and umpiring

however after the de-recognition of the federation in 2010, things have gone downhill

a shortage of domestic events meant that the majority of sailors had no opportunity to enhance their ranking

also, the several aspiring umpires which this scene had generated and who were gaining experience had no logical reason to continue their pursuit of umpiring

no racing = no improvement on the part of sailors or on the part of umpires

in the last 2 years to my knowledge there have just been 2 MR events in India - one event as the Grade 3 Nationals, the other event was an ungraded event sailed

thank you for your interest in this cause and I look forward to your thoughts on any way in which we can revive the sport here.

What's the site of match racing in India now? You mention growth in 05-09.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yachting association of india, discrimination, asian games, match race membership

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users