Zonker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Read the comments:

"I bought How to Avoid Huge Ships as a companion to Captain Trimmer's other excellent titles: How to Avoid a Train, and How to Avoid the Empire State Building. These books are fast paced, well written and the hard won knowledge found in them is as inspirational as it is informational. After reading them I haven't been hit by anything bigger than a diesel bus. Thanks captain!"

or this one

"This book really is one of the best huge ship avoidance references I've come across, not just for the effective methods it teaches as to avoiding huge ships, but also for exploding some of the huge ship avoidance myths that many of us take for granted.

For example:
- Do not charge the huge ship at full speed in an attempt to scare it off. This may work with coyotes, but it is less effective with huge ships.
- Similarly, do not roll your boat over and play dead. Unless the huge ship is captained by a grizzly bear, this will not work.
- Do not attempt to go under the huge ship. This is typically not successful.
- Do not attempt to jump over the huge ship.

Captain Trimmer presents a rather novel technique for avoiding huge ships - move your boat out of the path of the huge ship. I know what you're thinking, this goes against conventional wisdom, but Trimmer presents significant empirical evidence to support his theory. Indeed, over the long run, moving out of the way will dramatically decrease the number of huge ship collisions you will have to endure in your daily life."

#2 NoStrings

NoStrings

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

Last summer I was delivering NSA home from Oahu with a close sailing bud, and a pick up crew whose boat had bailed on him. We noticed early on that the young man liked to read books on his watches...so we kept the AIS alarm cranked to high.
One evening it started chirping while he was on watch reading. I got up, checked the plotter, called the Panamax en route to the canal and asked for a bit of room...then sat back and waited....no noise from the deck. As the radar showed the ship off our bow at about a mile, I asked "how's everything going up there?" "It's all good". "Really, nothing you want to tell me?" Finally the dumb ass looked up to see 900' of container ship crossing our bow.

That was the end of reading on watch.

#3 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Despite the title being an internet joke, it is apparently a real book and not worthless. Also as rare as hen's teeth with considerable 2nd hand value.

#4 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

I read it and it is actually quite good.

#5 Py26129

Py26129

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, the missus and the kids. Not in that order .......maybe!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

...and when I order my copy, I'll also order the other must have item for the boat .  A banana slicer!!

31VTJj4VuVL._SY355_.jpg

#6 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

How is the title an internet joke?  And, Zonker, is that Elvis Costello or Kevin Spacey in your avatar????

#7 BeBop

BeBop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

elvis-crop.jpgElvis

#8 familysailor

familysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Are those prices for real?

#9 phillysailor

phillysailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

With advice this good, imagine how valuable it really is! The internet never lies.

#10 Steam Flyer

Steam Flyer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

So, have you hit... or been hit by... any huge ships lately?

How about medium-sized ships?

Inquiring minds want to know!

FB- Doug

#11 Py26129

Py26129

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, the missus and the kids. Not in that order .......maybe!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

I would think the book could be summed up by the following:  "If it can hurt you, get out of it's way!"

#12 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

How is the title an internet joke?

http://en.wikipedia....void_Huge_Ships

The book won the 1992 Bookseller/Diagram Prize for Oddest Title of the Year[2] and was used to title the first compilation of prize winners, How to Avoid Huge Ships and Other Implausibly Titled Books (2008).[3] The book finished third in The Bookseller's 2008 competition for the oddest book title of all time (behind Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers and People Who Don't Know They're Dead: How They Attach Themselves to Unsuspecting Bystanders and What to Do About It).[4]

Beginning in 2000, the book attracted some sarcastic reader reviews at its Amazon.com entry,[5] mostly variations on the theme of "I've always walked into ships when I took my morning jog, but with this book, I don't have this problem anymore".[6] This snowballed into hundreds of such reviews on Amazon.com, and similar reviews on other sites.[1][7] The book, its prize-winning status, and sometimes its accompanying constellation of odd reviews, was commented on by publications ranging from Cracked[8] to the New York Times.[9] The New York Daily News called it "the best book ever"[10] while Publisher's Weekly conversely called it "the worst book ever".[11]

The Amazon.com price quotes for the book have risen to $300 used, $500 new.

Jimmy Fallon covered the book on his "Do Not Read List" segment of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and Alex Horne's first appearance (at the 2000 Edinburgh festival) was with a show titled "How To Avoid Huge Ships". Tribute to the book's title was offered by a short ebook sold by Amazon.com titled How to Avoid Huge Shits (about avoiding stepping in dog waste).[12]

#13 Damp Freddie

Damp Freddie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • Interests:sport boats, 59er poss' and developments: beer.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Oliver's Navy is underway-ay-ay....

Do j120 owners in Englandshire get a free copy now?

#14 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for splainin' Dogwatch!

#15 Bitter Gnat

Bitter Gnat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

Last summer I was delivering NSA home from Oahu with a close sailing bud, and a pick up crew whose boat had bailed on him. We noticed early on that the young man liked to read books on his watches...so we kept the AIS alarm cranked to high.
One evening it started chirping while he was on watch reading. I got up, checked the plotter, called the Panamax en route to the canal and asked for a bit of room...then sat back and waited....no noise from the deck. As the radar showed the ship off our bow at about a mile, I asked "how's everything going up there?" "It's all good". "Really, nothing you want to tell me?" Finally the dumb ass looked up to see 900' of container ship crossing our bow.

That was the end of reading on watch.

Reminds me of a delivery I did back from Oahu in the early nineties.  We didn't have radar or autohelm.  Steered ever bit of the way.  We were about three days out of Long Beach.  I was driving from the leeward rail in about 15kts of wind.  Hazy day with only about a half mile of visibility.  My watch mate was down making himself coffee.  I was zoned out driving and thinking about ex-girlfriends.  Watch mate came up on deck and sat on the weather side of the boat and said loudly "Toyota".  I quickly walked up to the weather side and sure enough, about 300 yards abeam was a huge car-carrier with the Toyota emblem plastered on its side hauling ass the other way.  Looked at the watch mate and lied, "I saw him coming!".  Handed the helm over and went down to the nav station and gave the fine vessel a courtesy call.  He said he saw me on his scope for miles.  So that was a relief.   Stopped sailing from the leeward rail after that. 

#16 SA Lurker

SA Lurker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

Over 560 reviews on Amazon.com...remarkably entertaining!

A smattering follow:

2,086 of 2,130 people found the following review helpful

Reads like a whodunnit!

By Citizenfitz on December 21, 2010

Format: Paperback

I bought How to Avoid Huge Ships as a companion to Captain Trimmer's other excellent titles: How to Avoid a Train, and How to Avoid the Empire State Building. These books are fast paced, well written and the hard won knowledge found in them is as inspirational as it is informational. After reading them I haven't been hit by anything bigger than a diesel bus. Thanks captain!

9 Comments  Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

499 of 531 people found the following review helpful

Now I know what that steering wheel thingy is for

By Cap'n Crunch on January 30, 2011

This book really is one of the best huge ship avoidance references I've come across, not just for the effective methods it teaches as to avoiding huge ships, but also for exploding some of the huge ship avoidance myths that many of us take for granted.

For example:
- Do not charge the huge ship at full speed in an attempt to scare it off. This may work with coyotes, but it is less effective with huge ships.
- Similarly, do not roll your boat over and play dead. Unless the huge ship is captained by a grizzly bear, this will not work.
- Do not attempt to go under the huge ship. This is typically not successful.
- Do not attempt to jump over the huge ship.

Captain Trimmer presents a rather novel technique for avoiding huge ships - move your boat out of the path of the huge ship. I know what you're thinking, this goes against conventional wisdom, but Trimmer presents significant empirical evidence to support his theory. Indeed, over the long run, moving out of the way will dramatically decrease the number of huge ship collisions you will have to endure in your daily life.

5 Comments  Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

816 of 870 people found the following review helpful

Wake Up, Haters!

By Madeleine B. on December 13, 2010

I'm a little annoyed with the sarcastic "reviewers" of this book. You all seem to think it's funny that some people would honestly like some expert advice on ways to avoid huge ships. What, you've never been traveling at a very, very slow speed straight toward something really, really big that you could see for miles and miles away, and wished you'd known what steps you could take to avoid crashing into it? Well, all I can say is "congratulations!" What's it like to be so perfect? You haters just keep on enjoying your huge-ship-collision-free little fantasies. I for one am going to buy this book and learn something, because I live in the real world, where huge ships and the dangers they present to people like me are actually a serious issue.

12 Comments  Was this review helpful to you? Yes No

#17 foshizzle

foshizzle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

In the Baltimore Harbor we laugh at large ships.  They are part of our weekly races and we will normally have several ships - car carriers, coal ships, container vessels along with the tugs and pilot boats - plow through our W/L course in the span of a couple hours.

#18 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

I read it many years go.

I did not know, prior to reading the book, that many ships are direct-reversing and cannot change from forward to reverse above a certain speed. I also did not know they should switch to #2 diesel before shutting down or the heavy bunker fuel gets stuck in the plumbing/injectors. The author gave a good insight into what it is like to steer a large ship and why they can't do things you might expect they can if you are clueless like the guy in the video getting his sail ripped off the boat.

So, have you hit... or been hit by... any huge ships lately?

How about medium-sized ships?

Inquiring minds want to know!

FB- Doug

#19 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

In the Baltimore Harbor we laugh at large ships.

You should try sailing in the Solent. You would be pissing yourself all day. What you have written above is one of the stupidest things ever posted on SA. And trust me the bar is high in that competition.

#20 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

You should try sailing in the Solent. You would be pissing yourself all day. What you have written above is one of the stupidest things ever posted on SA. And trust me the bar is high in that competition.

You must have Bull Gator on ignore....

#21 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

This guys trial started last week.. Royal Navy Officer too.

http://gcaptain.com/...iled-too-close/

Maybe we should send him a copy <_<

#22 foshizzle

foshizzle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Life Boy 15, you are absolutely correct, I bow to your immensely superior stupidity.

#23 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

Life Boy 15, you are absolutely correct, I bow to your immensely superior stupidity.

Take it easy, he's just jealous about the pony tail.

#24 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

Very droll except that:

1. Atalanta of Chester is a Corby 33 not a J120

2. The skipper wasn't the owner

#25 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,333 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Topical for me, leaving for a couple of days of offshore racing/return.  I have been driving on several occasions at night and spotted a red light not moving and after asking the crew to verify, getting no response and then had to alter course to avoid. The closet one was windy and rough and a guy seasick laying on the cabin top not clipped in.  It's just so weird that people will just do nothing, luckily when I tacked the guy didn't roll off.   One time (not at band camp) I was off watch and a ship passed us parallel from astern maybe a hundred yards away and nobody saw it coming.  I heard/felt the engines about the same time somebody said "wow look at that ship". 

#26 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Best was heading south for winter and the SORC.  Off the Jersey coast, were dozens of fishing boats doing circles with their nets, always heading right at us.

#27 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

A buddy of mine told a story of delivering a boat from FLL to St Pete for SORC.  He was dozing in the cockpit while a girl drove while motoring.  She says 'Where did the stars go?'.  They T-boned a freighter,, and lived to talk about it.

#28 Damp Freddie

Damp Freddie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Very droll except that:

1. Atalanta of Chester is a Corby 33 not a J120

2. The skipper wasn't the owner

Sorry, every trouser press should come with one ...like a Gideon bible for all who sail in her.

#29 grouchyIRL

grouchyIRL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

A buddy of mine told a story of delivering a boat from FLL to St Pete for SORC.  He was dozing in the cockpit while a girl drove while motoring.  She says 'Where did the stars go?'.  They T-boned a freighter,, and lived to talk about it.

The fact that they survived means that that story is just disgracefully funny. Wonder what the folks on the bridge were thinking watching the little blip on the radar charging at them? Lol, that's assuming they even featured on their radar.

As an aside, exactly how did she not notice it? I mean, I will admit to having thought a ship was a lighthouse once (better than trying to argue that a lighthouse should alter course, though, but not by much), but to not notice it at all?!

#30 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

one of the better comments:

"There is one major oversight in this generally well-written book, and that is that it addresses animate readers exclusively. As a large rock in the Tyrrhenian Sea off the coast of Giglio Island, I have recently been confronted with instances in which avoiding huge ships was of fundamental interest to my personal well being. However, the methods presented in Capt. Trimmer's book were none too useful in my efforts to avoid huge ships, as I was recently struck by a very large ship indeed, a cruise vessel called the 'Costa Concordia'. I think the ship came off slightly worse in the exchange, but the experience was disruptive to my afternoon and rather jarring. In a situation such as this, Capt. Trimmer's advice would have been immensely beneficial to humans, fish, seabirds, and other animals, but I am none of those things. I'm a big rock. I can't zig-zag or duck and cover. Rocks don't do that. I've tried. I tried some time ago to scoot over to the left a bit to get some better sunlight, and it took me three thousand years! That's not fast enough to avoid even the slowest huge ships. It is for precisely this reason that I would advise Capt. Trimmer to augment his original volume with a section intended for readers like me; perhaps "How To Avoid Huge Ships If You Are A Rock, Iceberg, Or Coral Reef". There is a market out there for this, Capt. Trimmer, and I assure you it would be well worth the time and effort."

#31 Guitar

Guitar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,389 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, gold mining, meteorite hunting.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

Sailed in races in the California Delta, freighters go a long way inland, Stockton is 70 miles from the Gate. When you  see what looks like a BIG commercial building above the banks moving your way you start looking for a slough or small creek to duck into as they take up the whole channel.

#32 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

Coming home from Rock Hall at about 0200 in a friend's boat. It is calm and he is running flat out at about 40 knots on a pitch-black moonless night. I reached over and yanked the throttle to idle because he was going "between the boats" he saw. What he really saw was a tanker with a range light on the bow and another range light and running lights about 600 feet aft of that :o

The fact that they survived means that that story is just disgracefully funny. Wonder what the folks on the bridge were thinking watching the little blip on the radar charging at them? Lol, that's assuming they even featured on their radar.

As an aside, exactly how did she not notice it? I mean, I will admit to having thought a ship was a lighthouse once (better than trying to argue that a lighthouse should alter course, though, but not by much), but to not notice it at all?!

#33 Rasputin22

Rasputin22

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

You think Capt Paul could use book?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yNCTNuX6aSg

That will buff right out...

#34 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

Once the ships crew get a look at your 1980's Miami Vice look I recon they might be having a laugh too. What hair product do you use?

#35 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

I have done a few Baltimore harbor races. "Laugh at" ships does not mean not giving them room or ignoring them - just means they are so routine in there no cause for panic or alarm.

#36 Slick470

Slick470

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Now I kinda want to read the book. Too bad it is so expensive. I wonder if the local library has it...

#37 nolatom

nolatom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

His "How to avoid the Empire State Building" has been very helpful to me.

#38 Kahlessa

Kahlessa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Books, history, science, adventure, discovering life's hidden secrets

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

Thank you for posting this! The Amazon reviews are hysterical! Literally laughed until I cried.

Such wonderful creativity from the reviewers—a few gems:

Large beamed, please!

By Altair Voyager (Registered, Bahamas)

I am a huge ship. Imagine having an entire book devoted toward actively avoiding you and your kind. I have always been bigger than other ships - and yes, I have endured years of being moored in the distance, never being able to enter the shallower bays, requiring tugs to guide me in - but now THIS! Mr. Trimmer, you sir, should be ashamed! Please do not be swayed by his drivel. I ask that you judge me not by the size of my cargo hatch but rather the content of my wheelhouse.

---------------

This book is libelous!

This book contains several awful distortions and manipulations of the truth, as well as some outright lies, about large ships. It only contributes to the toxic culture of marine megalophobia that holds our world in poisonous sway. But then, that's the nature of our finger-pointing culture, isn't it? For example:

Page 23: "The USS Enterprise was a front for a crack-cocaine operation." FALSE.

Page 36: "The Bismarck used to seduce sailors on shore leave, only to leave them in the morning with syphilis, empty wallets and regret." FALSE.

Page 51: "Bills of lading state that before taking off on its fateful voyage, the Titanic was up all night drinking whiskey and playing poker with underage canoes." The poker allegation is FALSE.

Page 57: "The Lusitania was asking for it." LIBELOUS.

Page 66: "The Santa Maria slapped Columbus repeatedly, screaming, 'For the last time, THIS ISN'T INDIA, YOU IDIOT!'" UNCONFIRMED.

Page 71: "...at which point, Captain Stubing was forced into an unnatural position with Isaac The Bartender." FALSE.

Page 92: "USS Constitution? More like USS Opium Den! Am I right?" INEXCUSABLE.

Page 98: "...when in actuality, the Curse of the Black Pearl was acute tonsilitis." FALSE.

Page 102: "'Ah, who's gonna notice? We're hundreds of miles away from civilization,' said the Exxon Valdez." SCANDALOUS.

Hate-filled pieces like "How To Avoid Huge Ships" perpetuate outdated stereotypes about large sea vessels, and prevent us from seeking a more nuanced understanding about the issues facing plus-sized ships. Please don't encourage this kind of antiquated prejudice. All large ships are born decent, love-filled ships, who are products of their environment and upbringing, and nothing more.

Large aircraft, on the other hand, deserve what's coming to 'em.

#39 Kahlessa

Kahlessa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Books, history, science, adventure, discovering life's hidden secrets

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

Here's a serious discussion of the book:

http://www.cruisersf...hips-51395.html

#40 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,591 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:08 AM

#41 SailorTim

SailorTim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:30 AM

The chap taking the cover photo for the second edition is absolutely doomed if the front falls off.

#42 Mr. Fixit's brother,, Mr. Fixit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Not just us little guys have to look out for big ships

http://www.liveleak....=cd7_1362329626

Serious pucker factor here

#43 SpongeDeckSquareFoil

SpongeDeckSquareFoil

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

My dad gave me this book back in the 90's when I started sailing on the Great Lakes. I think he bought it as more of a humorous gift.

I'll have to print out those amazon prices, that'll give his nonagenarian heart a bump.

#44 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Not just us little guys have to look out for big ships

http://www.liveleak....=cd7_1362329626

Serious pucker factor here

Fuck, that's some scary shit!

#45 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

Looks like they were doing a PIT maneuver on the smaller ship. Maybe the Coasties could take a lesson from this in stopping drug runners.

#46 Damp Freddie

Damp Freddie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for sharing Dog.

What next, after  looking out for ships? People keeping a watch on at night ? 

This health and safety stuff is just taking over the pure enjoyment of being an irresponsible asshole eh ?

#47 foshizzle

foshizzle

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

I have done a few Baltimore harbor races. "Laugh at" ships does not mean not giving them room or ignoring them - just means they are so routine in there no cause for panic or alarm.

You're absolutely right. My post was a humorous attempt at recognizing there's no reason to fear large ships. You can deal with them in a prudent and routine manner - even during a race. There are plenty of sailors who never deal with commercial traffic, and it may be useful for them to know that encountering a large vessel need not be frightening.

#48 Omer

Omer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

This is an old story. But couldnt resist posting.

The big big aircraft carrier radios the ship in front at night...  '' the ship directly ahead of our bow'...' This is USS Enterprise...steer to port immediately and clear our way.... 

Reply comes...  '' sorry we are unable to steer to port.. change your course to starboard''

Second radio is much louder and arrogant.. '' I say steer to port at once. We are an aircraft carrier and we are closing in on you at 40 knots.''

There is a weak and unhurried reply back... '' Sorry we cannot comply. This is lighthouse xyz. Its your call.

#49 Gypsyclubjuggler

Gypsyclubjuggler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

#50 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

The big big aircraft carrier radios the ship in front at night...  '' the ship directly ahead of our bow'...' This is USS Enterprise...steer to port immediately and clear our way.... 
Reply comes...  '' sorry we are unable to steer to port.. change your course to starboard''
Second radio is much louder and arrogant.. '' I say steer to port at once. We are an aircraft carrier and we are closing in on you at 40 knots.''
There is a weak and unhurried reply back... '' Sorry we cannot comply. This is lighthouse xyz. Its your call.

Really? You honestly think there is a single person on here that hasn't heard this story about 100 times?

#51 Oronoco

Oronoco

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

In SF Bay, encounters with ships are all too common. I appreciate it when an approaching vessel gives me a horn blast or two to indicate we will pass on port or starboard. But it scares the crap out of some crew when it appears to be a collision course and a big ship starts honking at us.

#52 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,439 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I would like the kill the skipper of a BendyTwo that decided being a sailboat and all, even if he was under power, he was NOT moving over just to give some old rusty ship enough room to get under the Bay Bridge. Said rusty old ship has to move over to MY side and I had not much room left between ship and bridge support :o  :angry:

#53 Bruce T. Shark

Bruce T. Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:After Race Parties<br />Frank Mundus<br />Peter Benchly

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

Us sailors in the Hampton Roads area laugh at Baltimore sailors who laugh at big boats.  Down here our big boats are surrounded by little boats that shoot at you, or tugboats that dont bother to stay in the channel (the nerve!)..  true story, tugboat along buckroe (well out of any channel in 15 ft of water)  kept edging towards us (he had no barge), and would not get out of our way, would not answer any radio calls on 13 or 16, and we needed to stay where we were as we were winning.  Asked the boat owner if he wanted me to make the boat move, he said "hell yes" so called CG Group Hampton Roads with tugboats name, our location and that they were not maintaining a watch on 13/16 and beginning to pose risk of collision (now under 50 ft - we had already decided to sound the danger signal and tack if the uscg call didnt work) and I wanted to make a formal complaint...tug boat immediately cut speed and moved away to safe distance.  Karma sucks...saw the boat sank a month later out by the Ches light.  Most sailors dont know big boats like to know what small boats are doing - you dont have to be a radio talkin expert!  If tugs down here are out of channel and u are racing - they will work with you to pass behind you if possible if you call them early enough...same thing with Tail of the Horseshoe (Mid Channel Marker), the tugs with tows will pass around it heading up the bay rather than go outside...Tug stayed a little further east so all the sailboats could make the mark.  He was very appreciative of what we were doing, just no one would talk to hom.

#54 LCD4

LCD4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Teaching English, Sailing, Coaching Sailing

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

I actually knew Captain Trimmer when we lived in the Seattle area.  He's a good guy who used a whimsical title.  If you read the book, it's full of great anecdotes about people crossing between tugs and barges, under the bow of big ships, and the like. It seems a lot of folks actually don't know how to avoid huge ships.  It talks (and shows in pictures) what small boats look like from way up there on the bridge deck and on a cluttered radar screen.  It's a quick read but very interesting for those of us who have never stood watch on a huge ship, or tried to see and steer around small boats.

#55 magnum

magnum

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

I use the boatbeacon app.. It's mobile AIS works great. Be aware of the difference with real AIS if you use it.

Use it on board for port enty of Antwerpen or passing Rotterdam entry at night.

With collission alert. Especially handy to spot car carriers wich have almost no nav lights.

Simply click on the boat for Name, Callsign, MMSI screen to contact them in case of doubt

Last weekends 45Nm race with 225 boats from North sea to city centre ribs guide the fleet like this and it's standard procedure for this race.

#56 finding41

finding41

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

Really? You honestly think there is a single person on here that hasn't heard this story about 100 times?

That one person was me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users