That sure sounds like yet another lie.

#3 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:17 AM

I rise today to talk about America’s debt problem. The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills.

It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our government’s reckless fiscal policies. Over the past five years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion. That is  ‘‘trillion’’ with a ‘‘T.’’

That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers.

And over the next five years, between now and 2011, the president’s budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion.

Numbers that large are sometimes hard to understand. Some people may wonder why they matter. Here is why: This year, the federal government will spend $220 billion on interest. That is more money to pay interest on our national debt than we’ll spend on Medicaid and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program.

This rising debt is a hidden domestic enemy, robbing our cities and states of critical investments in infrastructure like bridges, ports and levees; robbing our families and our children of critical investments in education and health-care reform; robbing our seniors of the retirement and health security they have counted on.

Every dollar we pay in interest is a dollar that is not going to investment in America’s priorities. Instead, interest payments are a significant tax on all Americans — a debt tax that Washington doesn’t want to talk about. If Washington were serious about honest tax relief in this country, we would see an effort to reduce our national debt by returning to responsible fiscal policies.

But we are not doing that. Despite repeated efforts by Senators Conrad and Feingold, the Senate continues to reject a return to the commonsense pay-go rules that used to apply. Previously, pay-go rules applied both to increases in mandatory spending and to tax cuts. The Senate had to abide by the commonsense budgeting principle of balancing expenses and revenues.

Unfortunately, the principle was abandoned, and now the demands of budget discipline apply only to spending. As a result, tax breaks have not been paid for by reductions in Federal spending, and thus the only way to pay for them has been to increase our deficit to historically high levels and borrow more and more money. Now we have to pay for those tax breaks plus the cost of borrowing for them. Instead of reducing the deficit, as some people claimed, the fiscal policies of this administration and its allies in Congress will add more than $600 million in debt for each of the next five years. That is why I will once again co-sponsor the pay-go amendment and continue to hope that my colleagues will return to a smart rule that has worked in the past and can work again.

#4 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,658 posts
  • Interests:Postponing my funeral 'til tomorrow....

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:20 AM

"no more governing by crisis"

Nice conciliatory speech.  He could have spiked the ball but didn't 

I still can't f'ng understand how the hell you can type with a mouth full of sea men. They teach ya that at FU?.........

#5 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Another speech this AM.

Obama calsl for 3 things to accomplish TOGETHER

1) Pass a budget

2) Enact immigration reform

3) Fix the Farm Bill

He's really knocking it out of the park.

New favorability poll has him at 51%

#6 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,387 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

There are three things that are not going to be on the Congressional high priority list any time soon.

1) Pass a budget

3) Fix the Farm Bill

#7 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Interests:sailing, kayaking, fishing, hunting, hiking, and various other outdoor activities.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

He isn't going to get anything done, because to get something done right now he will need to let it be the Republicans idea and let them take the credit for it, and he is too much in campaign/destroy the Republicans mode to let that happen, and the Republicans are not going to hand him anything that makes him look good and makes them look like weak surrender monkeys. So expect three more years of absolutely nothing getting done and a lot of childish name calling.

#8 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Another speech this AM.

Obama calsl for 3 things to accomplish TOGETHER

1) Pass a budget
3) Fix the Farm Bill

He's really knocking it out of the park.

New favorability poll has him at 51%

. Favorabilty give me a break.

Real clear had his average JOB APPROVAL at 43.8

#9 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

Spiked to 51% after regressive defeat.

#10 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

The only thing Obummer is going to do is set the stage for Dem wins in 2014. Cant blame him really but while all that plays out the middle class will just continiue to take it up the ass. The next crisis is what he is waiting for so his party can save us from those terrible tea party types and repeat until the next crisis and you can damn well bet that if one doesn't come along they will make one up. Governing by crisis is SOP in this admin because with out one they dont have shit to run up the flag pole and take to the soap box with.

#11 Turd Sandwich

Turd Sandwich

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

The only thing that has been defeated is the middle class and its children and possiblly their children as well

#12 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

Provide a cite or STFU

#13 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Just ticked up to 52%...

#14 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

"no more governing by crisis"

Nice conciliatory speech.  He could have spiked the ball but didn't 

The guy still needs the Repubs. for some things.  He can't rub shit in their faces yet.

Wait till after the 2014 elections.  Then he will become Nancy Pelosi's lap dog.

#15 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

After the metric pile of shit the regressives have rubbed in the face of America I am looking forward to the day it is rubbed back.

#16 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,658 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

Jfc but the next prezzy election can't come f'ng soon enough. Honestly, Boyz & Gurlz, doncha all realize that this community organizer idiot has done more to divide this country than any other prezzy before him? Even more than Bush II did?  Gawd damn but there's GOT to be a better way to run this country and to reconnect the Left & the Right. But sadly we still have three more years to endure from the Dem's version of GWB.

H.F.S....

#17 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Private investigator by day party gurl by night

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

Jfc but the next prezzy election can't come f'ng soon enough. Honestly, Boyz & Gurlz, doncha all realize that this community organizer idiot has done more to divide this country than any other prezzy before him? Even more than Bush II did?  Gawd damn but there's GOT to be a better way to run this country and to reconnect the Left & the Right. But sadly we still have three more years to endure from the Dem's version of GWB.

H.F.S....

They're Not Going To Take It Anymore: New Generation Of Immigrant Advocates Take Radical Approach
By Elizabeth LlorentePublished October 16, 2013Fox News Latino

The frustration, say immigration advocates, is reaching a fever pitch.

That is why, many say, recent weeks have seen activists use chains and pipes to tie themselves to the tires of buses that carry immigrants slated for deportation to court, block traffic on Capitol Hill and get arrested, surround Tucson police when they targeted two immigrants during a traffic stop, and chain themselves and block the entrance of a federal detention center.

More such actions, they vow, are coming.

“It's absolutely out of frustration and impatience,” said Marisa Franco, campaign organizer for the National Day Laborer Organizing Network, which helped coordinate some of the more provocative actions. "Immigrant communities who are losing 1,100 loved ones every day to deportation cannot wait for Congress to end its political games or for the President to rediscover his moral compass," she added.

The people will take power back into their own hands and set a true example of leadership that the Beltway will have to follow.
- Marisa Franco, National Day Laborer Organizing Network

"The people will take power back into their own hands and set a true example of leadership that the Beltway will have to follow,” Franco vowed.

The more radical approach to protesting the record number of deportations that that have occurred under the Obama administration, and the stalled efforts in Congress to work on an immigration reform bill, differs from the more traditional nature of immigration demonstrations.

They consisted, in public, chiefly of vigils, rallies, and marches. On the private level, more established immigration advocacy organizations leaned heavily on telephone and email campaigns, press conferences, and direct communication with members of Congress and their staffs.

“These organizations stopped having faith in any progress for immigration reform,” said Michael Young, who is a sociology professor at the University of Texas. “They’re distancing themselves from the national, more moderate organizations that said you have to worry about this will come off or how it will play to the national, broader audience.”

After seeing the DREAM Act, a measure that called for giving a path to legal status to undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as minors, pass the House in 2010 but then die in the Senate, and see immigration reform efforts practically fizzle this year in Congress, Young said, “they got to where they don’t care.”

Many feel that being measured, Young said, has yielded no results.

“That’s what the ‘good immigrants’ have been doing for years, and what has it won them,” he said. “The Obama administration has deported almost 2 million people.”

Younger immigrants, known as DREAMers, began walking away from the more mainstream advocacy movement about three years ago, after seeing the defeat of the DREAM Act in Congress.

“They were raised by the [mainstream advocacy] groups, which helped [DREAMers] with their message,” Young said. “But then they started seeing them as compromised, and leaving them made them feel unleashed.”

Some of the more provocative DREAMer groups started using terms such as “non-profit industrial complex” to refer to the more Old Guard organizations that were involved with immigration reform efforts.
The more recent actions have focused on fighting deportations – mano a mano, and, often, at the local level, experts say.

They’ve also branched out beyond DREAMers.

Last Friday, the actions outside a federal courthouse in Tucson prompted a judge to cancel deportation proceedings.

Some 15 people were arrested after immigration rights activists blocked two buses bringing suspected illegal immigrants to a federal courthouse in Tucson. A few days later, on Tuesday, officers in Tucson pepper-sprayed members of a crowd trying to prevent U.S. Border Patrol agents from detaining two people who originally police encountered during a traffic stop.

The Tucson Police Department dispatched 100 officers to deal with protests at two locations, something that Sgt. Chris Wildmer told reporters entailed pulling them off patrols throughout the city.

“Something has to give,” he said, according to local media.

Demonstrators also have held hunger strikes and demonstrations outside offices of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, taking the battle right to the source.

They are assailing members of Congress, of both parties, and Obama, who made a campaign promise in 2008 to reform immigration in a way that would, among other things, provide a path to legal status for many of the nation’s 11 million undocumented immigrants.

“The promise the President made in 2008 is now so empty that people have forgotten he even made it,” Franco said. “Unless he actually uses his authority to provide real relief, he'll only be remembered as the Deporter-in-Chief.”

Officials of immigration organizations that lean on traditional ways of pushing for change say they understand the underlying frustration that is driving the more aggressive tactics.

They say they do not plan to change their style, and they say they will not criticize the more radical approach.

“The landscape has changed so much because enforcement has been so intense,” said Angela Kelley, vice president for immigration policy at the Center for American Progress in Washington D.C. “Communities are feeling the impact of the increased deportations. They go right to the heart of so many communities. That’s translating into more vigorous advocacy and the sense that ‘I’ve got nothing to lose.’”

#18 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,658 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

Yeah well........tough shit. I'm frustrated too......'cuz I can't own coastal land outright in Mexico, 'cuz I could never vote, 'cuz I couldn't bring my gun collection down there, 'cuz they still practice Napoleanic Law, 'cuz the last three pussified prezzy's down have not done ONE F'NG THING to curtail the drug cartels nor make their citizens safe (death toll now is near 60,000 in just the last seven or eight years), 'cuz I can not work there except for in the office/background, I'm frustrated and pissed about the manner in which THEY treat trespassers from Central America (and trust me, it's a fuk-of-a-lot-worse than what they get from us/U.S.) and I'm frustrated that racism in Mexico is still 5 times worse than it is here. So where the hell is my 'Immigrant Rights Coalition'?

Fuk these people, stay the hell home, fix your own house, contemplate what I just wrote here....and then come back someday when y'all gotcher shit together. In the meantime, the gate's closed........

#19 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Interests:sailing, kayaking, fishing, hunting, hiking, and various other outdoor activities.

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

Months ago I posted about how many we're getting disillusioned with the dems and feel like they were sold a bill of goods, that the dems were going to start losing votes because people felt like they could not be trusted. The dems are in trouble because their advantages amongst minorities have no where to go but down, and they are indeed going to go down.

#20 Bull Gator

Bull Gator

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,280 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

As a centrist I've become disillusioned with the GOP's inability to shed the cancerous teabagger party.

#21 R Booth

R Booth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,658 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

Months ago I posted about how many we're getting disillusioned with the dems and feel like they were sold a bill of goods, that the dems were going to start losing votes because people felt like they could not be trusted. The dems are in trouble because their advantages amongst minorities have no where to go but down, and they are indeed going to go down.

Agreed. The Dems have given away sooooo much of the g-damn farm....there's barley any farm left to give away. Either they need to quickly grow up and think of America & Americans first---or the tax payers and the makers in this country will punish them severely for years to come. Which is fine my me----assuming that a modified Team Red Party can coalesce in that time, sort the chaff from the wheat, stop the T-Part madness shit and become a bit more moderate/centristical/likeable'accessible .........

#22 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Agreed. The Dems have given away sooooo much of the g-damn farm....there's barley any farm left to give away. Either they need to quickly grow up and think of America & Americans first---or the tax payers and the makers in this country will punish them severely for years to come. Which is fine my me----assuming that a modified Team Red Party can coalesce in that time, sort the chaff from the wheat, stop the T-Part madness shit and become a bit more moderate/centristical/likeable'accessible .........

Your illiteracy results in pretty good puns.  Not many people have that skill.

#23 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

He isn't going to get anything done, because to get something done right now he will need to let it be the Republicans idea and let them take the credit for it, and he is too much in campaign/destroy the Republicans mode to let that happen, and the Republicans are not going to hand him anything that makes him look good and makes them look like weak surrender monkeys. So expect three more years of absolutely nothing getting done and a lot of childish name calling.

Why does he have to do that?  If it is all about who gets the f*cking credit, then we might as well admit defeat.

He can't win with most folks.  If he goes hard, he's labeled as acting like a monarch.  If he lets someone else go hard, he's weak and ineffectual.

Shame we have given up hope that our elected representatives can rise above playground-type antics.

#24 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yeah well........tough shit. I'm frustrated too......'cuz I can't own coastal land outright in Mexico, 'cuz I could never vote, 'cuz I couldn't bring my gun collection down there, 'cuz they still practice Napoleanic Law, 'cuz the last three pussified prezzy's down have not done ONE F'NG THING to curtail the drug cartels nor make their citizens safe (death toll now is near 60,000 in just the last seven or eight years), 'cuz I can not work there except for in the office/background, I'm frustrated and pissed about the manner in which THEY treat trespassers from Central America (and trust me, it's a fuk-of-a-lot-worse than what they get from us/U.S.) and I'm frustrated that racism in Mexico is still 5 times worse than it is here. So where the hell is my 'Immigrant Rights Coalition'?

Fuk these people, stay the hell home, fix your own house, contemplate what I just wrote here....and then come back someday when y'all gotcher shit together. In the meantime, the gate's closed........

I'm with ya Ricky.

#25 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Why does he have to do that?  If it is all about who gets the f*cking credit, then we might as well admit defeat.

He can't win with most folks.  If he goes hard, he's labeled as acting like a monarch.  If he lets someone else go hard, he's weak and ineffectual.

Shame we have given up hope that our elected representatives can rise above playground-type antics.

Oh, we are waaay past it being a shame and deep into dysfunction.

#26 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

That we have to be cognizant of just who needs to have a "win" in order to save a little face truly pisses me off like nothing else. 

If what we are saying is the GOP needs to take credit for this in order to allow shit to get done, well, they just need to put on the big-boy/girl pants and start acting their age and not their shoe size.

#27 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

That we have to be cognizant of just who needs to have a "win" in order to save a little face truly pisses me off like nothing else. 

If what we are saying is the GOP needs to take credit for this in order to allow shit to get done, well, they just need to put on the big-boy/girl pants and start acting their age and not their shoe size.

Not just the Repubs, Obama too. He is not going to do anything that even remotely lets them look less stupid. He is pissed at them and wants to make life as difficult for them as possible, even if that means it hurts Americans in general. It is everyone inside the beltway that is the problem.

#28 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,813 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Not just the Repubs, Obama too. He is not going to do anything that even remotely lets them look less stupid. He is pissed at them and wants to make life as difficult for them as possible, even if that means it hurts Americans in general. It is everyone inside the beltway that is the problem.

True.

But, I was responding to your point that Obama had to let the Republicans look like it would be their idea and then take credit for it.

#29 LenP

LenP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

True.

But, I was responding to your point that Obama had to let the Republicans look like it would be their idea and then take credit for it.

I think we agree, and I am equally disgusted by the state that DC finds itself in.

#30 Chuck D.

Chuck D.

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,615 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

H.F.S....

More than Mitch McConnell when he said barely one month into Obama's 1st term "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.", giving a giant FUCK YOU to both Obama and the majority of the electorate who voted for him?   Your narratives on who is to blame for what, while entertaining, are not well grounded in the truth.

#31 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

Oh bullshit. It is the goal of every opposition party to limit the president to one term. Is that often repeated quote any more offensive than calling GW The Pretender in Chief for eight years?

#32 cmilliken

cmilliken

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Oh bullshit. It is the goal of every opposition party to limit the president to one term. Is that often repeated quote any more offensive than calling GW The Pretender in Chief for eight years?

Being on the left is never having to admit you were wrong :)  They'll never admit that was derogatory.

#33 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

3) Fix the Farm Bill

The current proposal is an embarrassment. Cut aid, raise subsidies.  It's blatant to the point it's silly.  The House Republican plans for "steep cuts in food stamps for the poor", and -

"The bill is also expected to cut funding for conservation programs but expand by $1 billion a year the federally subsidized crop insurance program, which now costs around $9 billion annually."

http://www.reuters.c...E99F10820131016

As a recipient of said farm subsidies, that is plain cold horrible.  Scary shit. 

This is not headed in the right direction.

#34 Ned

Ned

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,515 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

a sign of leadership failure...  

How about the truth there Barry.  As in THE RESULT OF  and be honest about your role in this.  It would be a good start to your resignation speech. 

#35 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

3) Fix the Farm Bill

The current proposal is an embarrassment. Cut aid, raise subsidies.  It's blatant to the point it's silly.  The House Republican plans for "steep cuts in food stamps for the poor", and -

"The bill is also expected to cut funding for conservation programs but expand by $1 billion a year the federally subsidized crop insurance program, which now costs around $9 billion annually."

As a recipient of said farm subsidies, that is plain cold horrible.  Scary shit. 

As a beneficiary of an Ag subsidy, what would you like to see in the bill?

If that is too much of a hijack, can we start  a new thread to discuss it?

#36 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:19 PM

Can you provide a quote from a Democratic Speaker, Majority Leader or Minority Leader saying anything remotely similar?

Take your time.

#37 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

Can you provide a quote from a Democratic Speaker, Majority Leader or Minority Leader saying anything remotely similar?

Take your time.

You are joking right?

#38 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Take your time.

You are joking right?

#39 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,837 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Take your time.

Would John Kerry or the DNC count?

#40 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Take your time.

Would John Kerry or the DNC count?

Nope. Only evil republican leaders want to limit their opponent to one term. What they will never get is that it takes a great LEADER to work with the opposition despite the underlying knowledge that politics is always just under the surface of any interaction.

I think that is one of Obama's greatest character flaws. He takes the politics personally.

Lets compare how GW started his term. He invites Ted Kennedy and other democrats over to watch movies and discuss education. That is where the no child left behind came from.

Obama invites republicans to a meeting completely disrespects Paul Ryan and reminds McCain that he lost the election.

But some like to blame one comment for the path of animosity the two parties are on

#41 austin1972

austin1972

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

3) Fix the Farm Bill

As a beneficiary of an Ag subsidy, what would you like to see in the bill?

If that is too much of a hijack, can we start  a new thread to discuss it?

No hijack because the answer is short.

I'd like it to go away.

Food stamps can go into other social welfare programs and farms shouldn't get subsidized unless there is a multiple year dust bowl emergency situation.

I buy multi-peril crop insurance, which is a ponzi scheme itself* but ya gotta buy it if you're a sane businessman.

* Seriously, read up on how this operates afa who underwrites, pays and profits...it's whack.

#42 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Mr Minister and Slow Person seem to be having some difficulty.

#43 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Mr Minister and Slow Person seem to be having some difficulty.

Resort to name calling because you got nothing. . Go back to yawn it really promotes your views.

#44 VwaP

VwaP

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts
  • Interests:Private investigator by day party gurl by night

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

Mutton chops???, request vacation time?

http://www.washingto...2d8f_story.html

The Pavlovian twitch to constantly check e-mail had begun to ease just when Congress voted Wednesday to send Casey and her colleagues in the federal government back to work. Back to the office — and whatever mountain of messages lie waiting in the inbox after 16 days away.

Casey’s total: 1,563 e-mails. Just looking at them started to give her “a little headache over my right eyeball,” so she got up and walked away.

This doesn’t happen anymore. Even on vacation, we instinctively reach for our phones to scroll through messages, making sure the world continues to function in spite of our absence. And to lessen the blow upon our return. If you’ve been checking all along, you know what you’re in for once you’re back at your desk.

Furloughed federal workers had no such luxury — or burden, depending on your point of view.

“It took a minute for it to sink in,” said Casey, a federal analyst for an agency that she requested not be named. “But then once I got a message that said, ‘Hey, it’s really illegal if you work when you’re not supposed to’ — well, that’s all I needed to read.”

For what it’s worth, Andrew Martin, chief librarian at the National Labor Relations Board, did some digging and couldn’t find any precedent for prosecuting furloughed workers who surreptitiously sneak in a little work, but he was happy enough to change the settings on his phone to block work e-mails.

“It was absolutely wonderful,” said Martin, a father of two young girls whose wife was also furloughed. He grew his facial hair into mutton chops, smoked brisket and discovered that he “would be really good at being retired.”

But he’s only 39; retirement will have to wait. Thursday, he woke up and forgot what time he had set his alarm. He couldn’t find his cuff links or collar stays. Once he finally got to the office and logged on, he “very fearfully peered at it through my fingers, afraid there was going to be a comma in the number of e-mails in my inbox. ‘Please be three digits instead of four!’ ”

Phew. Only 150. Seems everyone else followed orders to stay away from their BlackBerrys, too. Martin sent out a news clipping, as he normally would, just to let his colleagues know he was back in action.

Catherine Tunis was looking forward to going back to work as a program analyst at the Environmental Protection Agency. But a couple days ago, she broke out in a cold sweat. “I had a panic and thought, ‘Oh my gosh, what’s my work e-mail password?’ ’Cause we change them all the time. What if I don’t remember?’ But then parts of your brain click back into place,’ ” she said.

Casey hopes the furlough actually changed parts of her brain. She doesn’t want to be as connected as before, hoping now to shut off when she’s not at work and focus her energy on her husband, son, two foster children and her second job as a life coach. “This is the new me,” she said — the one who doesn’t check her BlackBerry more than once a night.

That’s a strategy Alex Moore can get behind. He’s the chief executive of Baydin, makers of the Email Game, an online program that helps users manage the overwhelming flow of messages. A study out of University of California at Irvine found that people’s heart rates normalized when they were away from e-mail for five days. They were also less stressed and better able to focus.

“But when you get back, that’s the problem,” Moore said. “It’s all there waiting for you.” And if you try to go through all the messages “in one heroic death march, it piles up even more” when people respond the next day. Instead of that approach, Moore suggests breaking it up and committing to going through a certain number of backlogged messages each day, plus any new ones that come in. Casey is using exactly that tactic. She put all 1,563 e-mails in a folder and reminded herself that “nothing’s going to break if I don’t answer them right now.”

She worked from home Thursday to ease herself back into the grind. As soon as she logged on, she fired off an e-mail of her own.

Her most pressing order of business: a request for vacation time.

#45 HardOnWind

HardOnWind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:58 AM

There are three things that are not going to be on the Congressional high priority list any time soon.

1) Pass a budget

3) Fix the Farm Bill

No sir, they have much more important laws to work on like:

1)  Reaffirm that "In God we Trust" is our national motto
2)  Naming Post Offices
3)  Ending professional sports strikes 

4)  Declaring the correct spices of the "National Frog" 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users