Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

I just came across these

http://quickboats.com/

and thought if they were rowable, and came in different sizes, they'd make an excellent alternative to an inflatable. 

I need something a bit more stowage friendly and something like this would fit under my sea berths, then take a minute or two to assemble, and viola, a tender ready to go.

My fibreglass 2.4 dink is such a cumbersome PITA and stuffs up my foredeck when underway, hence something stowable is a big plus.

Thoughts?

#2 Py26129

Py26129

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, the missus and the kids. Not in that order .......maybe!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:26 AM

Seems similar to a Porta Bote. Thoser boats have always intrigued me. They seem perfectly functional but I have never gotten aunt to trying one. With an inflatable, you know what you get. These are just different enough to make me wonder what's wrong with them.

#3 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:48 AM

Seems similar to a Porta Bote. Thoser boats have always intrigued me. They seem perfectly functional but I have never gotten aunt to trying one. With an inflatable, you know what you get. These are just different enough to make me wonder what's wrong with them.

What's wrong, 55kg (121 lbs), and does not look like you can put it together in the water.  Even with 2 people, getting it over the lifelines and into the water is a hernia inducing job.  You could use davits or a lifting tackle, but then you might as well have a rigid dink.

#4 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:54 AM

I did some compliance work with the quickboat guys at the start of the year.  It is a very well thought out product.

#5 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

The 3.7 meter version of the Quickboat is 35kgs, will take 4 adults and a 10hp on the back.

It looks like you could assemble on the foredeck and through it over the side.

Scarecrow, do you know if they are making/plan to make smaller ones?

#6 Scarecrow

Scarecrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:04 AM

not last time I spoke to them.  If anything they were thinking the market might insist on a bigger product to carry more people.

#7 Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

not last time I spoke to them.  If anything they were thinking the market might insist on a bigger product to carry more people.

Cheers. Pity. A smaller, rowable one would make a great tender.

Ive asked about smaller, rowable ones via their website so ill  see what they come back with - plans might have changed

#8 floating dutchman

floating dutchman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

The older ones didn't seem to be that successful,  Never rowed one my self but I don't think they rowed very good and were not that stable, and leaked along the seams after a while.

This is a different design and the leak issue has more than likely been solved.

Remember to knock 15% off the price,  You should not have to pay the Government Stealing Tactics.

#9 Elegua

Elegua

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

If you can fit it, build or get one of these built:

http://ptwatercraft....t/PT11Home.html

#10 Tom Ray

Tom Ray

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,200 posts
  • Interests:~~/)/)~~

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

A friend built a Coroplast Dinghy.

Very cheap and lightweight and foldable.

IMG_0324.jpg

Folded:

IMG_0315.jpg

#11 dylan winter

dylan winter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

hands on Portabote

great.... but expensive

#12 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:sailboats, bikes, metalworking, diy

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

The 3.7 meter version of the Quickboat is 35kgs, will take 4 adults and a 10hp on the back.

It looks like you could assemble on the foredeck and through it over the side.

I have a roughly 35kg rigid dink (Dyer Dhow Midget).  I wouldn't call it something that I can "throw over the side".

Realistically it takes two of us to get it on or off of the boat, one on the winch that pulls on the lifting harness and one pushing it away from the boat to keep it from scratching up the boat or getting caught in lifelines.

Throwing a 50lb inflatable over the side?  Sure.  An 85lb rigid boat that needs to land right way up?  Not really.

#13 steele

steele

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

I think the 35 kg weight is for the hull only, if you look in the FAQ section of their site they list the total assembled wt at 55 kg.  I agree a smaller version would be a good option for smaller boats, even if it did not fit below folded it would be easy to lash to the deck or stantions.

#14 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Friends have a porta bow tee, it's like sitting in a bowl of Jello.

#15 dylan winter

dylan winter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

Friends have a porta bow tee, it's like sitting in a bowl of Jello.

the one I tried was great

and a darn site easier to row than a rubbery thang

D

#16 bpw

bpw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

We have a 1970 vintage porta-bote that is double ended instead of having a transom. Rows well, has a small sailing rig and will take a 2 hp outboard if you want. Not very heavy, I can pull it up in deck by myself.

It does leak a bit but no surprising after 40 years and begin towed under, flipped by wind a few times and other general abuse. Will not be that had to take it apart and re-gasket the seams.

Way better than dealing with the transom models, less parts, less weight and no leaky transom.

I only wish they still made them, when this one finally dies I think I will try to source the plastic and make a copy of it.

#17 bpw

bpw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

Just found this, someone is making one just like ours in Britain now..

http://www.portableb...p.com/page5.htm

#18 IStream

IStream

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'd sooner go with this:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004SL02DM

#19 bpw

bpw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'd sooner go with this:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004SL02DM

We would be lucky to get 24 hours of use out of that thing before it was shredded.

#20 IStream

IStream

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

You might be surprised. This isn't your typical Sevylor POS vinyl throwaway. I've gone river rafting with a load of 5 people and a cooler full of beer and it can take some serious abuse. As a lightweight alternative to a real dinghy, it's not bad. 

#21 bpw

bpw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

You might be surprised. This isn't your typical Sevylor POS vinyl throwaway. I've gone river rafting with a load of 5 people and a cooler full of beer and it can take some serious abuse. As a lightweight alternative to a real dinghy, it's not bad. 

Brand new high quality zodiacs get shredded with alarming regularity here (southern Chile). So I would have little hope for anything that lightweight. Even being tied behind the boat at anchor can be pretty tough here. I have seen our folding dinghy airborne on the end of its painter more than once before we got in the habit of flooding it every night.

But I could see one those working for other people who are in areas a bit less severe and have sandy beaches to land on. Not in the same league as a good folding boat though when it comes to durability.

#22 IStream

IStream

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Fair enough, but for the OP's locations in Sydney and/or Hong Kong it could conceivably work. I can fill mine completely in about 5 minutes using a compressor or even just a 3 gal tank of air at 120PSI. That said, filling it with a foot pump takes about 20 minutes and would be a real PITA to do on a daily basis.

#23 Alex W

Alex W

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:sailboats, bikes, metalworking, diy

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

Sounds like you just need a better foot pump.  An Avon Redcrest pumps up with the floor pump in about 5 minutes, and can't be much less air.  Who knows though, a Avon foot pump might cost more than that whole dinghy.

As someone who dabbled in folding kayaks and skin on frame kayaks I found this option to be interesting:

http://www.portableb...p.com/page4.htm

more info:

http://www.nautiraid...coracle_eng.pdf

Their english translation is rough.  When they say "this boat cannot be converted to sail" they mean "this boat can be converted to sail".

Assembly time probably sucks though, and you have to keep sand away from the fabric/wood joints.  Folding kayaks do that using a sock.

#24 whinging pom

whinging pom

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

Is there any reserve buoyancy? Or if it floods, you sink?

A catamaran sterned inflatable with a reliable engine are remarkably seaworthy for their size.

#25 Py26129

Py26129

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, the missus and the kids. Not in that order .......maybe!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

If power is available

Fair enough, but for the OP's locations in Sydney and/or Hong Kong it could conceivably work. I can fill mine completely in about 5 minutes using a compressor or even just a 3 gal tank of air at 120PSI. That said, filling it with a foot pump takes about 20 minutes and would be a real PITA to do on a daily basis.

If power is available, a shop vac on blow will make short work of inflating any inflatable. it won;t be able to to inflate to the correct pressure but that takes little time with the corrrect pump.

#26 IStream

IStream

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Good tip, Py. And yes, I used the shitty foot pump that came with the thing. Mine has four separate chambers: two floor chambers, and inner perimeter ring, and an outer perimeter ring. Fully inflated it holds over 1000 lb and can handle a 3hp motor with the appropriate transom adapter.

#27 bljones

bljones

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:30 AM

$3 at our local Dollarama:

august2013blogpics011_zps401ad6af.jpg

Works better than the "factory" footpump that came with our Rubber Duck.  Inflates the freebie Zodiac quickly and completely.  from flat to full in 7 minutes.

#28 islandplanet

islandplanet

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

I've used a Porta-Bote for years. Only drawback is having to store the seats and transom but the newer versions have a folding transom. Much dryer ride in chop and far better performance than any inflatable for given HP and load. My myself, I can plane with a 2hp. 

#29 S/V Eejit

S/V Eejit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:11 AM

A friend built a Coroplast Dinghy.

Very cheap and lightweight and foldable.

IMG_0324.jpg

Folded:

IMG_0315.jpg

I LOVE it. I have a 23' Aquarius (later became the Balboa 23), and while I often need my inflatable to bring provisions aboard, it is a PITA to tow behind, and too big to fit on deck. I am thinking of two of these, with a verticle transom (wood insert), that bolt together to make one larger skiff for when I have a guest or need to reprovision, or just use the single version when by myself (90% of the time). could even make them so they nest together to keep on deck. All for around $100

Jak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users