Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Amen brother - what you said. ;)

#102 jtsailjt

jtsailjt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Cruising, traveling, motorcycling, archery, snowmobiling, lots of other stuff

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

I saw it and found it so continuously unrealistic that it distracted me from appreciating and enjoying the story of dealing with lifes difficulties that it was trying to tell.  Redfords character just does one really stupid thing after another.  I get that we'd all probably be pretty much in shock if we were faced with being all alone in a sinking boat in the middle of the ocean, but Redford seemed to be in shock all through the movie. Probably realistic but just hard to watch someone do so many illogical things in almost slow motion, one after another.  Let's see, I'm all alone in a very marginal, poorly equipped, damaged boat and I look out and see a HUGE dark cloud bearing down on me, so ..........obviously it's time to shave, I'll wait until the wind and waves pipe up before breaking out the storm jib or reefing.  Also, though it takes place mostly on a sailboat, there really aren't any decent sailing scenes and I never even saw a sail that was even close to trimmed.  You'd think that someone who had managed to sail himself out to the middle of the Indian Ocean would at least have gone to the trouble of pullling his mainsail that last 6" up the mast and would be able to just once, get his jib to stop luffing just for a second or two.   Surprisingly, I think this movie will be enjoyed more by non-sailors or non-cruisers because it'll be easier for them to pay attention to the meaning of the movie without being distracted by all the sailing/cruising details they screwed up. Wish I'd saved my $8.

#103 Estar

Estar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,417 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

I saw the movie yesterday . . . Made me glad we tossed our wash boards and installed a campaignway door :)

Is Redford a sailor in real life?

#104 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

I saw the movie yesterday . . . Made me glad we tossed our wash boards and installed a campaignway door :)

Is Redford a sailor in real life?

I don't think so. I saw a piece somewhere describing the sailing training he'd taken to do the movie.

#105 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

"When the Fantasy gets ahead of the Reality."

That what happens when I try to leap over logs on the beach. Face plant.

#106 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Interests:MrsBlack, Brigadoon, freedom

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:36 AM

Well said Paul!

Agreed. I think he nailed it.

#107 olaf hart

olaf hart

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Another circle around the sun Ish: and you live!

Just saw All is Lost-

I'm throwing my vote, movie wise, ( at this late date!) towards Redford playing the character as an aging alcoholic.

Not like we know any sailors like that.

;)

He knew what to do- he just couldn't get ahead of it.

When the Fantasy gets ahead of the Reality. (Would there be an industry without that?)

Thanks Paul, for irrevocably tying my birthday to a story about an aging alcoholic.

At least I wouldn't be up the mast with a crescent wrench to fix my VHF connection. A 12" pipe wrench is the tool for that, with an oxyacetylene torch for backup...

It's all good. :)

Fuck, I'm still alive. What more could I want?

Lifes a beach!

#108 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

Just saw All is Lost-
I'm throwing my vote, movie wise, ( at this late date!) towards Redford playing the character as an aging alcoholic.
Not like we know any sailors like that. ;)
When the Fantasy gets ahead of the Reality. (Would there be an industry without that?)

Thanks Paul, for irrevocably tying my birthday to a story about an aging alcoholic.

At least I wouldn't be up the mast with a crescent wrench to fix my VHF connection. A 12" pipe wrench is the tool for that, with an oxyacetylene torch for backup...

( Paul replies:
My zeal for thread economy overcame the few social graces I might have. So I apologize for wishing you a happy birthday. ;)

But it's really Viktor's fault. Hijacks can go so (sic) (hic) wrong, to paraphrase Billy Gibbons-

( "me so stupid"......)

End of reply now buried with quote/reply)

#109 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

Just saw All is Lost-
Not like we know any sailors like that. ;)

( Paul replies:
My zeal for thread economy overcame the few social graces I might have. So I apologize for wishing you a happy birthday. ;)

But it's really Viktor's fault. Hijacks can go so (sic) (hic) wrong, to paraphrase Billy Gibbons-

( "me so stupid"......)

End of reply now buried with quote/reply)

I hate the quote function. Paul, I won't have any more birthdays so you can relax.

Have you ever wondered why anyone would wear perfume that smells like cat piss? Tigress by Fabergé, for instance. He should have stuck to eggs.

#110 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

I just walked the dogs. That's where I do my deep thinking and I figured it out.

I'm a "beachist". I hate everyone who doesn't live on a beach.

I just became a beachist. What party should I vote for?

#111 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

I just walked the dogs. That's where I do my deep thinking and I figured it out.

The one that isn't wholly owned by the corporations in this country.

Oh wait...

#112 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

That's just your opinion Alan and way too general. You cannot popssibly know that. Silly conjecture in my opinion.

I have to tell you Bob, having spent most of the past 5 years on the road in this country, I honestly think anyone who doesn't realize the level of racism here lives in some kind of an ivory tower, or perhaps a beautiful, log-strewn beach.

This country is FULL of fucking racists, and it's not confined to the white trash in the deep south.  There are dozens of people inside the sport itself - well educated people who should know better - that I don't consider friends anymore because I'm tired of hearing about 'boat niggers' or 'that owner jewing me down on price.'  And those are the nice ones!

Spend a few weeks in South Carolina to get to know the less smart ones.  As a jew, it's fucking scary sometimes.  As a black man in a major position of power, I couldn't even imagine it. 

BRAVO CLEAN... BRA fucking VO!!

#113 Dixie

Dixie

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

The Beach Party, obviously.  The Clam Bakes or the Bonfires are fun parties too.  

#114 Tucky

Tucky

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

#115 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

That's just your opinion Alan and way too general. You cannot popssibly know that. Silly conjecture in my opinion.

Bob it is Alan's viewpoint.  but Alan has some pretty solid evidence backing him.  and those who say Redford's points are his being a "silly goose" about folks who's politics he simply disagrees with are intentinally blinding themselves to it.  There is some pretty solid statistical research backing up the annecdotal evidence.   The anecdotal evidence is folks like Anne Coulter going around calling Obama a "monkey" - given the long history of "monkey" being used as a racial pejorative, anyone who's neck hairs don't start to prickle at that very careful choice of words (she's a trial atty for fuck's sake) is either not very well informed or harbors the very same views she is trying to invoke with that term.

as for academic work  here is the academic work
http://papers.ssrn.c...ract_id=2238851
and if you don't have SSM access you can find a layman's version here
http://campaignstops...-we-ask-google/

But that's not the only analysis that shows this.   Nate Silver (of Moneyball and the guy who has had the most accuracy in predicting elections for the last 8 years) has this

http://www.ted.com/t...d_politics.html

So Bob, if you are just going to attribute this academic work to just "Alan's Opinion" - sadly you are going to be burning a lot of good will

#116 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Baltic: That is your opinion. Everybody can come up with "solid evidence" to back them up.

I have absolutely no idea how this thread got twisted into me being painted as a racist or defending racism.  Again, you have no clue how I think on this. Your previous post proves that. That had nothing to do with my original point. I simply do not care for entertainers who think I should be interested in their political point of view regardless of what it is. I guess you see what you want to see. If your "good will" is simply based on this thread I think I can manage just fine without it.

Beachists of the world unite!

#117 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

Beachism forever! Here's me claiming Shed 4 beach for the Beachist Party, Canuckistan branch. Sorry it's a bit messy, the housekeeping staff has been busy.

0371-IMG_1536.JPG

#118 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

I think that living on a log strewn beach alongside people like Bob would be just fine.  Bob and I don't agree on some politics but, we don't talk about it. That isn't important.

I really don't give a rats ass about the toxic brand of politics in this country anymore. I also have no more fucks to give about toxic corporate environments where one has to deal constantly with how people were raised as children and their refusal to do anything about their brokenness, I could use a place where I'm not brushing the dust of stupidity, fear, racism, sexism, rape culture, homophobia, et all, off my mental space all the fucking time.  It's tiring and, for the most part unnecessary.

Maybe a beach...or an ocean -- yeah, that's it,  and ocean. Just Kerry and me, somewhere in 15-20 kts of breeze ten days out of the Marquesas; where our biggest problem, our largest distraction, is fucking up and dying at sea.  

Yeah, that would be nice.

#119 Wayne

Wayne

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Fear is not rational and cannot be dissolved by statistics.

I think it's always a bad idea to take the family to movies like this.  Don't even put the images in their heads.  When my wife and I were out cruising long term, we walked out of "The Guardian" 10 minutes into the movie as the sailboat was going down and the the couple was getting hoisted.  That includes the horrific "White Squall" with the wife drowning slowly and agonizingly, and "Dead Calm" is also no beauty for a family movie.  Guys that may want their family to go offshore with them in the future have way more to lose, then to gain, by dragging the family along to these movies.  Just go see it alone, or with your sailing buddies.....

I guess the fundamental question is - will it scare the crap out of my family if they see it?  Or can I tell them we are better prepared and always have more people on board so someone is always awake on watch...

Probably some time before we get a chance to view it.

Cars 1.5 fatalities per million miles driven resulting in over thirty thousand deaths

27 deaths on sailboats in 2012 according to USCoast guard

#120 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Take me with you Donn!

Oh,

#121 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Take me with you Donn!

Oh,

I hear ya, Bob.  I hear ya.

#122 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

Beachism forever! Here's me claiming Shed 4 beach for the Beachist Party, Canuckistan branch. Sorry it's a bit messy, the housekeeping staff has been busy.

0371-IMG_1536.JPG

Myrtle Pt. Ish? Or somewhere along that strip near Powell River. Claiming it? Don't you think the local herbologist might take exception? 

Oh well: Life's a beach until you marry one.

#123 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Myrtle Pt. Ish? Or somewhere along that strip near Powell River. Claiming it? Don't you think the local herbologist might take exception? 

No, it's called Shed 4, short for Shelter Shed. There are four reef systems sticking out from the underside of the Brooks Peninsula on the west coast, each one has a beach behind it, and occasionally cowering fishboats, who anchor behind the reefs for storm shelter. It's the easternmost beach. We followed a very entertaining trail from Columbia Cove.

And there ain't no herbologists there, just bears.

#124 Maxx Baqustae

Maxx Baqustae

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,985 posts
  • Interests:Ummmm......sailboat racing

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

No, it's called Shed 4, short for Shelter Shed. There are four reef systems sticking out from the underside of the Brooks Peninsula on the west coast, each one has a beach behind it, and occasionally cowering fishboats, who anchor behind the reefs for storm shelter. It's the easternmost beach. We followed a very entertaining trail from Columbia Cove.

And there ain't no herbologists there, just bears.

You are right of course and haven't been on Brooks other than going past in the VanIsle 360 but you have to say that it looks very much the islets off of Scotch Fir point (right/center). The islands of the entrance of Jervis Inlet in the distance. It's all water, rocks and Xmas trees at the end of the day. Probably more bears on Brooks though and a lack of herbologist I'm sure. 

#125 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

I hate to bump the toxic aspects of this thread at this late date, but FOR FUCK'S SAKE, CLEAN!

I'm with Bob 100 percent on this.

Yes, racism exists in this country, and throughout the world.  Much of that racism is directed toward white males.  Much of it is perpetuated by the the politicians of all colors, and the white guilt faction who love to whip out the race card at every opportunity.  Tell me, who rushed to dismiss Condi Rice and Herman Cain as racist Uncle Toms?  Dr. Ben Carson?  Thomas Sowell?  Bill Cosby?  That's right, when conservative whites support African Americans with sound policy ideas, they somehow become loathed white people despite their dark skin.  Yes, there is racism in this county.

But DO NOT suggest that racism is the only reason, or even a significant factor, in the hearts and minds of those who oppose Obama's radical policies.  Ask anyone who knows me, and they will tell you that I am not racist.  But I hate Obama's policies.  Why?  I have degrees in Economics, Political Science, and Law.  I form my own opinions about his policies, and I reject them because they are counterproductive, unworkable, and philosophically opposed to the values of freedom and democracy that were the cornerstones upon which this country was founded.  It has nothing to do with race.

I am NOT a "birther."  But somebody blindly suggested that Obama's color was the motivating factor for requiring some documentation of constitutional eligibility.  Someone said this country is xenophobic.  Really?  This was only about skin color, and not about his upbringing in Indonesia before enrolling as a "foreign student" in college?  It's not about his family in Kenya, some of whom claim he was born there?  It's not about his early bio in which he claimed to have been born elsewhere?  Nope, some of you can only see the color of his skin, and that's the only answer you need.  What do they call people like that?  Oh yeah, RACIST!  And about the xenophobia?  We have constitutional requirements that cannot be avoided--that's the supreme law of our land.  Our president is REQUIRED to be a natural born citizen.  I don't know if he is or is not, and I don't care.  But I wish he would stop intentionally driving this country into the ditch.

Edit:  Let's not forget that those who oppose Obama also oppose Pelosi and Reid with the same vengeance.  That latter two are white.  Why are they reviled?  Bad ideology, bad policy.  Obama shares those bad ideology and policy ideas.  Yet the liberal race baiters only see the color of his skin, and not the same idealogical and policy issues that plague Pelosi and Reid.  In my opinion, it those who ignore the true faults of Obama and focus only on his skin color who are the true racists at issue here.

#126 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

One more thing:

Racism and voting?  Conservative whites oppose Obama because they're racist?  Lets look at who voted along race lines in 2012:

Black females for Obama:  98%

Black males for Obama:  80%

White females for Obama:  48%

While males for Obama:  41%

Yes, I suspect many of those votes were racially motivated.  In which groups would you predict that to be a significant factor?

#127 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Whisper:

You said that very well for someone with only three degrees.

#128 Wishbone

Wishbone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Whisper, while I applaud your excellent points on racism, I have issue with anyone who is doggedly and bloody minded about opposing EVERY single thing that a party tries to accomplish and develop. There is so much partisanship in US politics, and a supreme lack of effort to ever see ANY credibility in an idea or policy developed by the opposing party. Far too many Democrat and Replublican supporters are both very guilty of being obstinate, close minded and extreme in their thinking, attitude and behavior. 

It is always black and white .... there is no gray. There is no effort to even try to see any value, truth or commonality when one looks through labels of parties.

If these politicians spent half as much time TRYING to collaborate and work together for the good of a country, instead of finger pointing, laying blame and OPPOSING every single damn effort and idea that the other party comes up with, you would have a workable Health Care Policy by now.

#129 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Whisper, while I applaud your excellent points on racism, I have issue with anyone who is doggedly and bloody minded about opposing EVERY single thing that a party tries to accomplish and develop. There is so much partisanship in US politics, and a supreme lack of effort to ever see ANY credibility in an idea or policy developed by the opposing party. Far too many Democrat and Replublican supporters are both very guilty of being obstinate, close minded and extreme in their thinking, attitude and behavior. 

It is always black and white .... there is no gray. There is no effort to even try to see any value, truth or commonality when one looks through labels of parties.

If these politicians spent half as much time TRYING to collaborate and work together for the good of a country, instead of finger pointing, laying blame and OPPOSING every single damn effort and idea that the other party comes up with, you would have a workable Health Care Policy by now.

I can't argue with anything you said there.

#130 jimma

jimma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Whether folks go to this movie or not because of Redford's politics, won't matter to him. He's already been paid. His career is already made.

Funny though... while I think it's ridiculous that people might boycott a film due to his politics, I have to admit I would not pay to see something in which Charlton Heston appeared.

Racism is all around. Giving Obama the Nobel was racist. I think he would agree.

#131 blackjenner

blackjenner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

I hate to bump the toxic aspects of this thread at this late date, but FOR FUCK'S SAKE, CLEAN!

Yes, racism exists in this country, and throughout the world.  Much of that racism is directed toward white males. ...

I'm fucking done with this thread.  

#132 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Catch you later Donn.

"Funny though... while I think it's ridiculous that people might boycott a film due to his politics, I have to admit I would not pay to see something in which Charlton Heston appeared."

I think there is a word for that.

#133 jimma

jimma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Yes, racism exists in this country, and throughout the world.  Much of that racism is directed toward white males. ...

I'm fucking done with this thread.  

LMFAO

#134 jimma

jimma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

Catch you later Donn.

"Funny though... while I think it's ridiculous that people might boycott a film due to his politics, I have to admit I would not pay to see something in which Charlton Heston appeared."

I think there is a word for that.

Hypocrisy is one. I admit it. And that was my point.

#135 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Jimma;

I was thinking of another word, "cheese".

Charlton Heston is a very cheesy actor. I can't watch him in anything. Ok, once and I while I'll watch a bit of BEN HUR. Buit I like to watch the horses. That's all. Besdes he almost ran me off the road when I was in Hollywood with my band years ago. He was driving a red XKE. Prick.

#136 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

To get slightly back on point, I think it is silly to boycott entertainers because of their politics. I judge them based on their talent and performance, not their misguided compulsions to spew drivel about policies they don't understand. I am thankful for the ability to separate the issues--otherwise my playlist would be limited to godawful country music and Ted Nugent (not that there's anything wrong with Uncle Ted).

#137 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Yeah, well I have David Allen Coe on right now so there.

Actually I do but I have my Ipod on Pandora  and Pandora on "shuffle" so I went straight from DAC singling JACK DANIELS IF YOU PLEASE to little Franky Schubert's AVE MARIA. I have all the musical bases covered.

#138 jimma

jimma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

To get slightly back on point, I think it is silly to boycott entertainers because of their politics. I judge them based on their talent and performance, not their misguided compulsions to spew drivel about policies they don't understand. I am thankful for the ability to separate the issues--otherwise my playlist would be limited to godawful country music and Ted Nugent (not that there's anything wrong with Uncle Ted).

There are benefits to having the politics I have... the music and movies are better. And the women are more attractive, even if they do have smaller tits.

#139 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

I have to disagree. My tastes in women and entertainment are apolitical, so I benefit from both sides of the aisle. It sounds like you prefer to surround yourself with only with those who agree with you--and that can be very limiting.

I do draw the line when people preach--especially when the sermon is a mindless regurgitation of flawed talking points fed to them by someone else. I also draw the line when, out of 100 valid reasons to disagree with a position, people lazily focus on the non-issue, which is skin color.

#140 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

"And the women are more attractive, even if they do have smaller tits." Ah, the intellectual elite.

Man, you need to get out more. I don't draw any lines where music is concerned. You would hate Wagner. I love his music. I like David Allen Coe too. I just listen to the music.

#141 Whisper

Whisper

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

"And the women are more attractive, even if they do have smaller tits." Ah, the intellectual elite.

Indeed, the class of "tolerance."

"You disagree with my politics, so not only are you racist because my leader happens to be half-black, but also, your women are uglier than mine."

That's it in a nutshell.

#142 Ishmael

Ishmael

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

Can we see some pictures of these women so we can make a valid comparison? Preferably topless?

#143 kdh

kdh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

I don't care to figure out whose politics are what, but I prefer small breasts. Generally.

#144 kimbottles

kimbottles

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,588 posts
  • Interests:SWMBO

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:58 AM

I prefer good smart brains in women. The rest is just window dressing.

#145 jimma

jimma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

I don't care to figure out whose politics are what, but I prefer small breasts. Generally.

Spoken like a true socialist. And tacking on the qualification "generally" means you're the best kind of pragmatic socialist. You prefer small breasts, but can appreciate others as well. 

Me too.

#146 jtsailjt

jtsailjt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:Cruising, traveling, motorcycling, archery, snowmobiling, lots of other stuff

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

That's what I tried to say about 100 posts ago...

As it turns out, I went to see the movie despite my political disagreements with Redford and the silliness of him (or others) even holding forth on things he apparently knows very little about.  But I didn't think it was a very good movie and I formed that opinion based on what I saw on screen, not on his politics. In Obama's case, I don't think he's a very good President or even understands what it means to be an American, and that has nothing at all to do with his race. It's the policies he champions that I despise because I think they are misguided and are hurting the country and the people I love and will continue to long after he is gone.  On the other hand, I have huge respect and admiration for Dr. Carson, and it's NOT because he happens to be twice as black as is Barack Obama.  But I don't think that those of you who support a half black mans ideas over an entirely black mans ideas take that position because you are racists.

#147 Boomberries

Boomberries

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • Interests:Offshore and coastal sailing and racing. Classic wooden boats.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

+1

Touche, Kim.

I have no desire to pay to see the movie. I would have trouble watching someone make so many obvious mistakes due to lack of preparation and insight, whether I was a sailor or not. The fact that so many non-sailors will go see it without understanding that hopefully many sailors put a lot more thought and prep into a trip, does not help our credibility. I get that one can see it as a non-sailing anaology about the challenges in life, but the blaring and countless errors in judgement would be painful to watch. Some said drop eveything and run out and see the movie, Gravity, and I thought that was a waste of money too, though it did have a few impressive special effects. Give me a well written book any day, over a movie.

#148 LSCSailor_33

LSCSailor_33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

I saw this movie today and have to say it came across as a huge disappointment.  I have to agree with the poster above who stated that the movie was just one stupid thing after another stupid thing.  Were up the mast and see a storm is approaching, do we reef and get ready for the blow we see coming, nah, we hurry down the mast and we go down below and shave and do the dishes and wait until it's well into oh shit time to go on the bow and do what should have been done.  At the beginning, you separate from the shipping container and then go intentionally ram into it again.  The boat is taking on water from the hole in the side, and other the hole on deck at times.  It rolls over with the hatch open and boards out and comes up dry inside.  A ship in these conditions and that kind of experience can be a really dramatic situation when everything is done correctly and you don't need to just do stupid after stupid after stupid to keep escalating it instead of letting nature take it's course.

#149 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

"shave"?

What is this "shave" and why is it important when you are sailing?

#150 Amati

Amati

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:0 (t) = 0

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

"Beauty fades. Stupid is forever"

-Dorothy Parker

#151 dyslexic dog

dyslexic dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

When did this turn into PA? All is lost with this thread.

#152 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

More proof that politics can ruin any thread.  Id rather not know anyones affiliation. :)

#153 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

More proof that politics can ruin any thread.  Id rather not know anyones affiliation. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users