7 replies to this topic

#1 slower

slower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

First time poster, stupid question, right? But first, tits:

I have recently grown to like sailing quite a lot. I am a freelancer, can work anywhere as long as there's an Internet connection available. I'm in Europe now and am a member of a local yacht club that has very active weekly races, a lot of active one design racing nearby and our club has several match racing boats. There is a separate fleet+match racing program for adults (coached fleet race training once a week, match race once a week + practice races). I would like to participate in something like this from November at least until March or April..

When it comes to places with an active racing scene there's a lot of options, BUT is there a place with a coached training program? I can't afford "private" coaching. I'm not a super pro sailor but just want to sail a lot (3+ times a week) and would like to do so in a "more organized" way than just attending weekly beer can races. I don't want to buy a boat but I'd still like to be able to skipper a bit. The costs have to be reasonable. Am I expecting too much? There are match race centers in Europe and in USA, but I can't find anything like this in NZ, Australia, Caribbean, South America, Gran Canary... I am too old (30) for the "youth programs" that some sailing clubs offer.

Of course I'd also like to find a nice place to live at and some other factors count also, but for now lets just concentrate on solving the sailing part of the equation.. any hints?

#2 BalticBandit

BalticBandit

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

Where are you based?

#3 jerryj2me

jerryj2me

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

figure out where you want to live and if its near water you will find sailors. You may want a warmer climate than Finland if you want to sail year round.

video = too implanted imho, but I guess the crowd here likes silicone-saline fakes.... :D

#4 rgscpat

rgscpat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Interests:sailing, racing, race management, Desert Sea / southwest USA sailing, future of sailing, travel, photography, hiking

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Does Cascais, Portugal have something?... it would at least have a longer sailing season by a few months than Finnland.

#5 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,838 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

. I don't want to buy a boat but I'd still like to be able to skipper a bit. The costs have to be reasonable. Am I expecting too much?

You are expecting quite a lot. Mostly, skippering keelboats and writing large cheques go together.

Some British Dragon owners move operations to the south of France in the winter e.g. Ski Voile and others. http://www.intdragon...xtures_home.php

There also used to be high-level winter racing events at Palma. Not sure if those still exist.

There is a small amount of club-level racing in Southampton Water in the winter. I wouldn't travel from Finland to join in. Mostly, keelboat racing stops here in the winter.

#6 DRDNA

DRDNA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

well, those boobs move around unlike the enhanced ones I've had hands-on experience with... Good luck with your plans!

#7 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,431 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

don't have any thoughts regarding your question, but that video would have made a great avatar if this place wasn't so fucking jacked up these days

#8 Bulbhunter

Bulbhunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,361 posts
  • Interests:SA is DEAD

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

Europe tends to have more training type programs than most places Germany really likes its training programs. But one of the really nice things about sailing is as long as your near water with sailing activity you can always thumb a ride on boats as crew and work on your skill sets learning from boat owners and other crew building your skill set.

A sailing certification isn't worth anything if your experience is still lacking. When speaking with a charter company the office manager basically told me they want to see some sort of sail training certificate but after seeing my sailing resume she told me to be honest all the trashed and wrecked boats they have had over the years were all chartered by sailing certified people who had the paperwork but clearly lacked the experience. So more important than anything else is just building up your experience you can pay for a school that covers all the paperwork check points or you can simply start thumbing rides and building your skill by sailing with other people.

All depends on your personality most freelance consultant types are pretty social out going people given they must be or they fail at being freelance consultant type workers. Which case chances are you would find just having your proper sailing gear and crewing in local events will build up your skills and generate a large network of people and contacts you would otherwise never have.

The worst thing to do is not to do anything because you can't find a school or training program to attend that you can afford or have time for per their schedule.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users