New Here (promise this isn't a circumnavigation post)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RagnarDanneskjold

RagnarDanneskjold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Mathematics, sailing, motorcycles.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

So,

I am a debt laden mathematics genius in Ottawa, Canada that is looking to get back into sailing.  Funny because being a student, sailing is pretty much the hobby you want to jibe away from because what is adding one more money pit right?

When I was younger, I did the Sea Cadet route and raced dinghy's, and to be honest they scared me (mostly because I was a clumsy kid that hit his head a lot).  Since then, I have gone back and tried it and really enjoy it, BUT I am land locked and sailing in a large river.  I am looking forward to intern-ships in Nova Scotia (possibly?) and want to get out on the ocean, to the real water so to speak.  

My question to all of you:

RYA Route? or find a club and skipper willing to take me on to crew?

Will the RYA (I guess CYA in Canada) pay off eventually?  $1350 a course is steep, but what is a few thousand dollars when I pay $12k a year for school right?

I want to get into ocean racing (around the Island race, mid-ocean race, maybe VOR/Vendee Globe if I win the lottery) but not sure the process.  I understand the business knowledge to put a team together and get it funded/sponsored, but not the process of getting experience (and assuming its unpaid experience?)

oh, and top boats for circumnavigation (had to throw a troll in somewhere):

1. Flicka: I like to enjoy the sunset for 89miles a day.

2. Westsail 32.

3. JP54: because Vendee Globe is the F1 of the Sea.

#2 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

Fuck off newbie.

Or post wife, g/f, mothers or s/o's tits for the prurient edification of those of us who have been here a while longer.

Don't take it personally, it's a sort of traditional welcome in these parts..

So Tits or GTFO...

#3 Soley

Soley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Take a guess. It ain't too hard.....

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

Fuck off noob. Unless your GF tits are in your next post.

#4 cirrhosis of the river

cirrhosis of the river

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Flatbag, on 31 Oct 2013 - 05:37, said:
Fuck off newbie.

Or post wife, g/f, mothers or s/o's tits for the prurient edification of those of us who have been here a while longer.

Don't take it personally, it's a sort of traditional welcome in these parts..

So Tits or GTFO...
He would know Dont take it personally. Tits please

#5 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:33 AM

Fuckoff newb!

Tits!

That being said, there are options in Nova Scotia. For the sake of this argument, I'll assume you'll be in Halifax. Depending on your location in Halifax, there are 5 clubs available around the harbour, all offer dinghy racing, some more than others, and most of the offshores (RHSP, BORC) are run through RNSYS, and the best dinghy racing will also be there.

Easiest is to find out where you'll be living, find the club closest, or where you're comfortable commuting to, and start there. Most offshore bets will be through RNSYS, although DYC has some solid boats.

As per the Sail Canada bits (no longer CYA), I took dinghy courses when I was younger, and also took the instructor courses, which is where most of my sailing and income has come from. Also, looking at your cadet history (I was one), check with enrolling in the CIC, if you're interested, they can train you up to become a sail coach, with no cost, while paying you.

Best of luck, and better show some tits before the rest of SA get's their panties in a knot.

HW

#6 RagnarDanneskjold

RagnarDanneskjold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Mathematics, sailing, motorcycles.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

fine:

http://i.imgur.com/265wHaw.jpg

what's CIC?

edit: you mean CICSA?  in which case, I am 26, so am not allowed to sail for them.

#7 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,108 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:58 AM

fine:

265wHaw.jpg

what's CIC?

edit: you mean CICSA?  in which case, I am 26, so am not allowed to sail for them.

You should have her ask the question

by raising her hand  B)

(not Bad)

#8 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

fine:

265wHaw.jpg

what's CIC?

You should have her ask the question

by raising her hand  B)

(not Bad)

Those aren't tits, those are beach balls and they look like they are a little deflated . To fully inflate, just blow in the hole behind the fingers of her left hand.

Otherwise, excellent work... and welcome!

#9 haligonian winterr

haligonian winterr

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Going Fast.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

CIC being Cadet Instructor Cadre, may have changed since you were in, but they're the officers that run the program, and all of their training is paid for in full. Therefore, if you sign up and express interest in the sailing side, there is a chance you could get all of your instructing and sailing levels through them.

Obviously do some research before you apply, because there is always crap you don't want to have to deal with, and you need to figure out if it's worth it.

Regardless, It's an option.

FYI, I've never taken any offshore courses, except for the Safety at Sea (Done through Survival Systems in Dartmouth), and I got a ride for the Newport-Bermuda last edition as well as RHSP. Read this if you haven't already; http://forums.sailin...opic=118929&hl=

HW

fine:

http://i.imgur.com/265wHaw.jpg

what's CIC?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users