7 replies to this topic

#1 sdmoonshadow

sdmoonshadow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Many on this board vehemently denounced the various, albeit mutually agreed to, wind limit delays/cancellations during the AC34 final.  Yet as the FP article points out, there seems to be an increase in such delays in many ocean race events these days.  The minis, TJV, etc.  As another example, I believe there was even a delayed start out of China in the last volvo (too lazy to look it up, but I know I'll be corrected if wrong).  Some would argued there should have been a delayed start out of Aukland given the carnage on that leg.  When I was a kid, the (then) Whitbread teams would head out on schedule regardless of what was going on with the weather (as I remember it at least).  Have the boats gone too far over the edge such that the result is either carnage or fast speeds in relatively mild conditions?  Are those the only choices?   

#2 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

all these delays are an evidence of the pussification of sailing.

#3 maxmini

maxmini

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

In keeping with the topic this in todays " sailworld "

If you want to know the definition of the word 'frustration', as applied to the current sailing news, I would have advised that you go and solicit the advice of a Classe Mini sailor who is intent on racing the 2013 Transat Race. This event, as it will be remembered, has been postponed for almost three weeks now as major weather systems pummel Western Europe. Now, however, it's the double-handed sailors racing in the Transat Jacques Vabre (TJV) who get to learn the less-than-beautiful meaning of this word when placed in the context of waiting on the inclement weather.

According to the latest reports, the event's organizers took the prudent step of postponing racing due to gale-force winds that are raking the waters off of Le Havre, France. Instead of a Sunday send-off, skippers in the IMOCA 60, the Multi 50 and the Class 40 fleets will now start on Monday, giving the storm some time to dissipate.

'We are into a typical November situation with intense lows following each other across the Atlantic and bringing a lot of wind to the North of France, the Bay of Biscay and the racecourse area,' said Damien Foxall, co-skipper of the MOD-70, Oman Air. 'The tidal current is very strong as well, so for six hours twice a day we have wind over tide, which really makes the sea state very difficult and dangerous. 

#4 dogwatch

dogwatch

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,639 posts
  • Interests:Racing in all forms.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

Oh definitely. It's been jolly boating weather for minis lately. This from the storm before last.

#5 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,950 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

I have Much to say about Weather Delays - But Not Now  B)  <_<  -_-  ^_^  ;) 

#6 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,864 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

In keeping with the topic this in todays " sailworld "

If you want to know the definition of the word 'frustration', as applied to the current sailing news, I would have advised that you go and solicit the advice of a Classe Mini sailor who is intent on racing the 2013 Transat Race. This event, as it will be remembered, has been postponed for almost three weeks now as major weather systems pummel Western Europe. Now, however, it's the double-handed sailors racing in the Transat Jacques Vabre (TJV) who get to learn the less-than-beautiful meaning of this word when placed in the context of waiting on the inclement weather.

According to the latest reports, the event's organizers took the prudent step of postponing racing due to gale-force winds that are raking the waters off of Le Havre, France. Instead of a Sunday send-off, skippers in the IMOCA 60, the Multi 50 and the Class 40 fleets will now start on Monday, giving the storm some time to dissipate.

'We are into a typical November situation with intense lows following each other across the Atlantic and bringing a lot of wind to the North of France, the Bay of Biscay and the racecourse area,' said Damien Foxall, co-skipper of the MOD-70, Oman Air. 'The tidal current is very strong as well, so for six hours twice a day we have wind over tide, which really makes the sea state very difficult and dangerous. 

Global warming has taken hold.

#7 L124C

L124C

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

The AC 34 limits were a knee jerk reaction to the Artemis incident which of course, had nothing to do with wind speed. Someone died, so changes had to be made whether they were relevant or not.

#8 ro!

ro!

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Oh definitely. It's been jolly boating weather for minis lately. This from the storm before last.

What a great video...thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users