#1 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,994 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

What do ya think? I haven't been in a long time , but thinking of using my first non-work travel to go see the GP with Mer.

Who has been? Can it be done smart and cheap? Any must-do stuff in the area or recommendations are appreciated!

#2 Mojo Risin

Mojo Risin

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

Austin? Don't know about this year, but last year rooms were $400 for a HI Express within 100 miles and pretty much sold out.

Things to do? 6th Street at night.

#3 JBSF

JBSF

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,111 posts
  • Interests:Racing, diving, cycling, flying, pussy, shooting and any other action sports.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

I'd love to go but won't because of the RIP OFF by locals.

KISS MY ASS.

Maybe if you wear a T-shirt that says:  "I'm not eurotrash".... you'll get a better rate from the locals.

#4 Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Chris in Santa Cruz, CA

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

I have a sister there and last year stayed with her. My buddy had to stay halfway to san antonio. Kinda late to be planning. The boys and I are going again next year for the new engines. Track is great. Parking is great. Cool event especially if no kids along and you can stay somewhere near downtown. Big party there over three days. Thats my take anyway.

#5 DarthSailor

DarthSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Nearest motel 6 was going for $600 a night last year so without friends in Austin cheap may be out of the question. All ready planning next year's trip. 

#6 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,994 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Yikes.

Will holler at some friends in Austin and see what they think.

#7 miscut jib

miscut jib

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

withthis year being round two and the title already decided some people are cancelling their trips, worth checking. Still not cheap

#8 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,260 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:02 PM

Sure hope the New Jersey gig happens!!  Might be able to make that one.  Never been to one.

#9 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:15 AM

billy backstay, on 04 Nov 2013 - 17:08, said:

Sure hope the New Jersey gig happens!!  Might be able to make that one.  Never been to one.

Rumors are it has been dropped for 2014 along with Mexico.   Announced this week.   

#10 Paul Romain Tober

Paul Romain Tober

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I went to Watkins Glen in, I think, 1971. We were able to camp at the race course. We brought our own food. Got to walk through the garage area and see the machines and some of the drivers close up the evening before the race. I think the only money we spent was for gas to get there and entry. Cheap fun.

The race itself was awesome. Watched for a while at the end of the longest straight, but only got to see the cars for about a millisecond each lap. Spectated most of the race at an ess that was on the far side of the course from the start/finish. I'll always remember the Matras and their whooping exhaust note.

Worth going to at least once.

#11 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Silverstone 1973. 18 YO Navy kid in London. Caught a"day return" train for peanuts. Hitchiked to the track. Guy who picked me up let me sleep in the car until the track opened. Paddock pass at the gate and had a great day. Hitched back to the train slept until London. Incredible 24 hours burned into my brain.

#12 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:http://oversteertv.net/
    http://racewatches.com/
    http://twitter.com/RaceWatches

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:30 AM

Is it worth it?

It all depends on how much you are a fan.

I have to be at Daytona for Historic SportsCar (HSR) & Trans Am racing event that same weekend.  If not I would be COTA in a heartbeat.   And I live 20 minutes from the Homestead-Miami Speedway where the Ford Championship Weekend(NASCAR finales) are taking place.

http://www.hsrrace.c...13_Daytona.html

#13 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

I went to Watkins Glen in, I think, 1971. We were able to camp at the race course. We brought our own food. Got to walk through the garage area and see the machines and some of the drivers close up the evening before the race. I think the only money we spent was for gas to get there and entry. Cheap fun.

The race itself was awesome. Watched for a while at the end of the longest straight, but only got to see the cars for about a millisecond each lap. Spectated most of the race at an ess that was on the far side of the course from the start/finish. I'll always remember the Matras and their whooping exhaust note.

I remember watching the Matra V12 powered Ligiers racing in the Belgian Grand Prix back in 1977 - what an amazing ear piercing sound that was - and what a great contrast to the singing flat 12 Ferraris and all the baritone Cosworth V8 powered cars...

Biggest let down of modern F1 is the sound - with the engine configuration mandated by the rules, they basically all sound the same: like hyperactive blowdryers...

#14 surf nazi

surf nazi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

I remember watching the Matra V12 powered Ligiers racing in the Belgian Grand Prix back in 1977 - what an amazing ear piercing sound that was - and what a great contrast to the singing flat 12 Ferraris and all the baritone Cosworth V8 powered cars...

Biggest let down of modern F1 is the sound - with the engine configuration mandated by the rules, they basically all sound the same: like hyperactive blowdryers...

I must respectfully disagree. 18000 rpm doesn't sound like blowdryers. I did the monaco gp this year and the sound in that city is beautiful. 

#15 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,994 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Back in the day I drove rotaries on the track.  Now those sound like hyperactive hairdryers.

#16 Alpha FB

Alpha FB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

As good as it is, it isn't what it was 30-40 years ago...

Yikes, that's making me sound old...

#17 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,994 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Is it worth it?

I have to be at Daytona for Historic SportsCar (HSR) & Trans Am racing event that same weekend.  If not I would be COTA in a heartbeat.   And I live 20 minutes from the Homestead-Miami Speedway where the Ford Championship Weekend(NASCAR finales) are taking place.

You a marshall?  For an old EMRA/SCCA kid like me that sounds even better than the USGP.

#18 Footlong

Footlong

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:Member # 175

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

I have some EMRA trophies sitting right in front of me, from 96 & 97

Is it worth it?

You a marshall?  For an old EMRA/SCCA kid like me that sounds even better than the USGP.

#19 Innocent Bystander

Innocent Bystander

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

Of course, 40 years ago, kids like me wore silver suits and carried linoleum knives on corner crews and were expected to use them when needed - all for free pit passes.  Holomotro who?

Best sounds back in the day were Formula A and Can-AM cars.  Big V-8's with pistons the size of soup cans sucking down gallons of racing gas.  

#20 Anthonyvop

Anthonyvop

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:http://oversteertv.net/
    http://racewatches.com/
    http://twitter.com/RaceWatches

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

Is it worth it?

Haven't worked a corner in years.   Working the business end at this event.  Plus doing some reporting.

HSR events are great for us old farts and people who appreciate great racing machines.   Everything is open.  You can walk in, out and through garages and paddock all day.  People are great and almost always willing to talk about their rides.

Lots of great racing great history.  Some famous drivers as well.

#21 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,994 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

I have some EMRA trophies sitting right in front of me, from 96 & 97

Is it worth it?

That's better than i did. 

#22 kidkodine

kidkodine

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Water
    Sailing
    Neruo-
    pharmacology
    Nootropics
    Epsom salt
    Old BMW, and Diesel Benzez
    Wet plate photography
    Text based web sites
    crush on elle...

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:20 AM

It was sort of boring this year - Just watch everyone follow Vettel.  Was not really a race - last month it was vintage racing, now THAT was fun...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users