• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wrybread

wrybread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:19 AM

I posted this in the general forum, but its probably more appropriate here.

Playing around in the mouth of Tomales Bay yesterday in my Zuma, catching some fun small ocean waves:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wxvxfhqRARM

Earlier there was a touch more wind which gave me much more control, but still super fun even in this nice light wind. The perfect direction, nice side/offshore.

Looking forward to doing this some more.

For anyone else who ventures out the mouth of Tomales Bay, do some research first, its a dangerous place sometimes. A big key is to go on an incoming tide so you get swept in instead of out to sea if something goes wrong. But on days like this one, its just pure pleasure out there.

#2 southseasailor

southseasailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

Ha! just watched the vid..see what you mean, looked fun! :)

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

Hey, Wry,   I'd like to do that with you some time.  Launch at Lawson's?   I think you posted this to one of my Laser vids at Tomales  Bay, too.   I'm local (Santa Rosa).

- Dennis

#4 wrybread

wrybread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

Hey Dennis, sounds awesome. Email me, wrybread at gmail dot you know what.

#5 Bastard

Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Finding out who my real daddy is... I'm starting to think it isn't really Wilt Chamberlain like my mom said...More importantly big breeze, warm waves, blast reaching and titties

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Guys, what's the skinny for launching at Tomales.  I was there a couple weekends ago and thought it would be a great venue for smashing around in a dinghy but didn't see many options for launching.  I have a Megabyte on a small trailer and a seitech dolly as well so I could go off a beach if need be.  I was on the Marshall side mostly but went south to Inverness as well.  I saw the yacht club there but it was locked up tight/ didn't see anyone to ask.  Any local knowledge would be appreciated... where to sail in the bay, where to avoid etc.  Also throw my name in the hat if anybody wants to rally up for a 'just for fun sailing session' there.  I'm in the Delta so not too far away for a trip.  Thanks, Dominick

#6 wrybread

wrybread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

@bastard:

There's a free launch at Nicks Cove, which is also a good area to sail. I usually go to Lawson's Landing, at the mouth, which charges I think $8, but I'm there anyway for other reasons.

Look at the area in google earth or google maps satellite view and you can see the areas to avoid. In the area in front of nicks your best bet is to cross and hang left (south) of hog island since it gets shallow close and especially to the right of it.

And avoid the area with the oyster farms, it's shallow too.

The area in front of Lawson's is a lot worse in terms if shallow areas, you basically need to stick to the boating channels, which you can see clearly on google. At high tide of course you get a bit more wiggle room. Personally I like to basically do loops around the clam bar, which is the big sandbar in the middle. Super fun and beautiful.

And Id recommend staying away from the mouth of the bay on an outgoing tide, at least until you get a feel for the area.

I don't know much about sailing farther south than nicks cove, such as Inverness.

#7 pasta514

pasta514

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

Guys, what's the skinny for launching at Tomales.  I was there a couple weekends ago and thought it would be a great venue for smashing around in a dinghy but didn't see many options for launching.  I have a Megabyte on a small trailer and a seitech dolly as well so I could go off a beach if need be.  I was on the Marshall side mostly but went south to Inverness as well.  I saw the yacht club there but it was locked up tight/ didn't see anyone to ask.  Any local knowledge would be appreciated... where to sail in the bay, where to avoid etc.  Also throw my name in the hat if anybody wants to rally up for a 'just for fun sailing session' there.  I'm in the Delta so not too far away for a trip.  Thanks, Dominick

You can put in in Inverness.  Sometimes it can be a blast, like this:

http://youtu.be/HhV_-Lz_2S8

#8 nacraoverlord

nacraoverlord

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

There's also a boatel right near the IYC that's probably around $10 as well. Anything south of Hog is relatively safe sailing- its nice and skinny so easy to get to shore if need be. Much past that and its a bit sketchy Its a great place to sail, real constant ~15 knot + breezes in the summer afternoons.

#9 Dennis

Dennis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

There is a great spot for launching Lasers on the East Shore of Tomales Bay.  It's called Marconi Cove and is about a half-mile south of the Marconi Conference center on Highway One.   Public access and decent place to rig and in one of the deepest and windiest reaches of the Bay.   It is not marked or signed and there is no dock.   You just use the open gravel parking area, where on weekends you will usually see other boats and trailers.

#10 ozchrisb

ozchrisb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Does anyone rent Dinghy's around Tomales? My wife and would love to sail there for an afternoon but we don't own a boat. The Zuma looks fun, is it the replacement for the Laser 2? What's it like double handed?

#11 Bastard

Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Finding out who my real daddy is... I'm starting to think it isn't really Wilt Chamberlain like my mom said...More importantly big breeze, warm waves, blast reaching and titties

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for the great info guys... you'll definitely see me there this summer

#12 pipboat

pipboat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

the launch ramp and parking next to Nicks Cove is Miller County Park,  parking is $5 a day payable via an electronic kiosk on site.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users