On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:33 AM

went looking for the story behind Southern Cross and found this

MN-AC830_CROSBY_G_20130605144304.jpg

Home at Sea: David Crosby aboard the Mayan, a 74-foot wood boat he bought in 1967. Annie Tritt for The Wall Street Journal

Singer-songwriter David Crosby, 71, is a founding member of the Byrds and Crosby, Stills and Nash; a solo artist, and author of three books. He is completing a new album of original material produced by another son, James Raymond, to be released early next year. He spoke with reporter Marc Myers.

Mr. Crosby's schooner, shown, has been host to plenty of musicians, but it's sailing that gives Mr. Crosby joy. William B. Morgan

When I was 11 years old, my parents wanted me to do something besides get in trouble. So they enrolled me in sailing classes at the Sea Shell Association in Santa Barbara, Calif. From the moment I climbed into that 8½-foot dinghy in 1952, I knew instinctively what to do and sensed I had done it before. I was a natural sailor, and it's one of the reasons I later wrote "Déjà Vu."

Sailing alone in that boat for the first time was a transforming experience. I came back the next day and every day after that. Sailing became one of the main streams of my life. I suppose my father was an influence. I remember seeing a photo of him at home sailing a big boat to Bermuda in his 20s. I still have it.

A 1969 photo of the folk-rocker. Henry Diltz/Corbis

"High Noon" also left a mark. My father, Floyd Crosby, was the film's cinematographer. I didn't realize until later, but "High Noon" had blossomed in my head. The movie is technically a Western, but it's really about an honorable, stand-up guy who sticks to his principles—even when he has to go it alone.

Before long I sailed that dinghy around the harbor alone, getting as close as I could to the big sailboats anchored there—particularly a beautiful wooden schooner that I learned later was designed by John Alden, one of the great American yacht architects. I loved its design and wanted to see how the different lines and sails worked. As my confidence grew, I started sailing to the harbor's outer buoy. That scared everyone and they tossed me out of the club.

My next big sailing experience came in 1967, after I was thrown out of the Byrds. I borrowed $25,000 from my friend Peter Tork, who was in the Monkees, and went down to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., looking for a schooner. I found one identical to the John Alden-designed boat I had seen years earlier and bought it.

The 74-foot boat was named Mayan and was built in 1947 with Honduran mahogany. The cabins below can sleep eight, but six people is more ideal—four to keep watch and take turns manning the sails and two who can alternate cooking and cleaning.

After I took possession, I had to learn how to sail it. I had never sailed anything larger than 8½ feet, and you need a good wheel-hand—that's me—and two good deckhands to handle the sails. So I made friends with lots of experienced sailors who wanted to sail on the boat, and they taught me everything I needed to know.

Within a year, I decided to sail the boat to San Francisco and live on it full-time, until 1970. During that time I wrote many songs down below, including "Wooden Ships," "The Lee Shore," "Page 43" and "Carry Me." The Mayan has been a deep muse.

I've always been a very careful sailor. I know, me and being careful—doesn't really sound right, does it? But when I sail, I take it seriously and take along spares for everything. You have to be careful when you're 1,500 miles from land. There's no one you can call. You're on your own.

Virtually everyone in rock 'n' roll has been on the Mayan. But I didn't get my boat for partying. I got it to sail. Sure, after we'd dock, we'd go to someone's house and get completely inappropriately high on a variety of substances, many of which were dangerous and did me a great deal of harm.

But partying is not what the boat was about. The boat is higher than a party. Sailing sweeps you away, and a party seems pallid and shallow. The boat is a way deeper experience, especially on long trips. I love voyaging—the longest has been 3,000 miles to Hawaii. I've also spent weeks all over the Caribbean.

I still take the Mayan out sailing every chance I get with my wife, Jan, and Django, our son. But honestly, I haven't been able to afford the boat's upkeep for a while given my mortgage and other expenses. It's been on the market for a few years, but my wife would break my arms if I actually sold it.

Look, I have maybe 10 more years, if I'm lucky. I have hepatitis C, diabetes and heart disease. I'm managing them. I'm going to the gym three days a week, I'm feeling strong and I can still make audiences feel great.

My dream? One more tour with Crosby, Stills and Nash and my friend Neil [Young]. From there, I'd be fine. I'd be able to sail. I'd live. And I'd be happy.

#2 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:41 AM

Thanks for this - I first stepped aboard a sailboat at the age of 5 - on a Chesapeake Bay Skipjack my Great Grandfather had built.  Mr Cosby gets it.  

#3 DISHONEST ASSHOLE

DISHONEST ASSHOLE

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Rum and Cougars

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

Amazing a guy like that has some money issues. Although it's all relative.

#4 weinie

weinie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Southern Cross was written by Jimmy Buffett  Stephen Stills.

#5 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,443 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

if anyone is interested, David is playing at the Barns at Wolftrap on Feb 4th

#6 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Lots of good info on David on his site - http://www.davidcrosby.com

He's playing a bunch of dates at the Troubador in late Feb.

When I was active in the music sponsorship and marketing biz, I represented CSN for their 25th Anniversary Tour, which was sold to MCI.

Got to know him and Graham pretty well.  David is a really a sailors sailor - he knows a ton about wooden boats, design, construction.

Brilliant guy too.  

#7 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

1971, Mayan was out at Lido Shipyard next to Four Winds which some friends and I were preparing for a trip to New Zealand.

Mayan was gaff rigged and had beautiful workmanship details all over her. I believe there have been several Mayans, is that correct?

#8 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Decent article, and I appreciate him being frank about it, but that bit about not being able to afford to keep the boat in top shape is a bit disingenuous-sounding to me. His Mortgage and other expenses ? Why not just Fess Up and admit you have other priorities ? If a multi-platinum selling record artist can't afford to keep a wooden boat that size, who can ? Wonder what silly shit he's spent his dough on over the decades that DIDN'T involve the boat he supposedly loves so much ? Love some of the guy's music and all, but crying "poor me" is a bit much, really - he could blame it on bad investments or getting screwed by the record business and I suppose the result would be the same though - the boat he claims to take seriously and always have lots of spares for might not really be sea-worthy anymore...because of his MORTGAGE ??

Bitch, Please.

#9 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

There was a video from the yacht broker that went into the original construction as well as what Crosby has done to refurb the yacht. Pretty interesting I thought.

I can't access videos at work because of firewall issues but will try to post it later, or maybe someone here can do it for me?

#10 artie_pitt

artie_pitt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

Decent article, and I appreciate him being frank about it, but that bit about not being able to afford to keep the boat in top shape is a bit disingenuous-sounding to me. His Mortgage and other expenses ? Why not just Fess Up and admit you have other priorities ? If a multi-platinum selling record artist can't afford to keep a wooden boat that size, who can ? Wonder what silly shit he's spent his dough on over the decades that DIDN'T involve the boat he supposedly loves so much ? Love some of the guy's music and all, but crying "poor me" is a bit much, really - he could blame it on bad investments or getting screwed by the record business and I suppose the result would be the same though - the boat he claims to take seriously and always have lots of spares for might not really be sea-worthy anymore...because of his MORTGAGE ??

Bitch, Please.

You're right, the closing sentiment made me laugh.

#11 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Bitch, Please.

Wow, your life must really suck!  That is some very bitter shit.

#12 soak_ed

soak_ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Bitch, Please.

Horror grips us as we watch you die
All we can do is echo your anguished cries
Stare as all human feelings die
We are leaving, you don't need us

#13 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

Bitch, Please.

Horror grips us as we watch you die
All we can do is echo your anguished cries
Stare as all human feelings die
We are leaving, you don't need us

Well played sir!

#14 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Interests:surfing and sailing

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

I saw a very persuasiv article once that claimed that the more money one makes, the deeper in debt one goes. The example given was Michael Jackson's mortgage on Neverland. Perhaps Crosby's wooden boat maintenance bills and his home mortgage are another example.

#15 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Decent article, and I appreciate him being frank about it, but that bit about not being able to afford to keep the boat ...because of his MORTGAGE ??

Bitch, Please.

Why don't you buy it from him then and show us all how to take care of a great, classic, WOODEN boat, eh? Whatever he did with his money is his business, and whether you agree with his set of priorities or not, he's trying to put the boat in the hands of someone who will take care of an Alden schooner the way it was meant to be taken care of. Look at the picture of him and tell me he's in good enough health to do what a wooden boat requires of you. He's trying to do something responsible so a beautiful Alden doesn't end up at the wrong end of a chainsaw, and all you can do is bitch and moan about how he spends his money. it's good to know that you are the upright, morally responsible voice for boat preservation everywhere.

By the way, here's his property: http://virtualglobet...view/?service=0 - this ain't your daddy's little bungalow. If anything, you should be impressed he was able to keep up his boat, home, and partying for as long as he has.
Why the fuck would I want a tired old wooden boat that a Rock Star can't even afford to keep up ?

I HAVE sailed a couple great old Alden boats - including Teragram, the classic schooner - awesome and all but there is NO WAY I could afford one. I think it's great he wants it to go to a good home and I hope it gets saved - I just think it's a bit strange that a wealthy man blames his mortgage and 'other expenses' ( alimony ? other business ? who knows where the dough goes ? ) on not being able to keep the boat in good shape - in the same article where he claims how serious a sailor he is when aboard "nobody around to help" - etc. I mean, that is all certainly true, and woodenboats DO take more care to keep sound - fair enough - but I know some pretty humble guys that own woodies and care for them adequately - because that is the priority for them, not 'other expenses'.

But feel free to get as snippy with me as you want to.

#16 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Decent article, and I appreciate him being frank about it, but ...because of his MORTGAGE ??

Bitch, Please.

My life sucks because I can read or because I can form an opinion of a story ? wtf ?

Bitter ? because I thought it was strange how he goes on about how important the boat is to him and then how he can't afford to keep it up ? God Forbid anyone ever speak up around you. I think you are projecting.

#17 Joli

Joli

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Booze, blow and broads.  Not much left over to be to keep the good ship Bristol.

#18 Ikani

Ikani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Family, Music

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

While many of the comments above seem to come from very knowledgable sailors, yacht racers and marina champions, I have not seen any postings from financial analysts or record company executives.  

I regret my knowledge of which only exists form a "Back of the Bus" point of view during 1980-1990, from which each and everyone of you should attempt to apply these common requirements to your paychecks from McDonalds to Dewey Cheatum and How..

Record Sales and Royalties

- 10% + or - off the top to manager

Accounting firm  - unknown

Legal - unknown

Failed Marriages - plenty...

Bernie Madoffs's - unknown

From Touring - 

75K + or - per week to keep the show on the road

% for your booking agent

Imagine all the millions you earned re-adjusting in 2003 and 2008, then get the call from Bernie Madoff, then take a look at what your monthly expenses are....GEEEZE are you guys being a little short sighted.  It only takes one failed marriage to break that entire house of cards......

#19 mojonixon

mojonixon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

Southern Cross was written by Jimmy Buffett  Stephen Stills.

I liked the article, but you'd think they could get the length of the boat correct.  It is 59 ft LOA, not 74.

#20 unShirley

unShirley

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Interests:surfing and sailing

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

In addition to what Ikani said, just b/c somebody makes a ton of money doesn't mean they are responsible about how they spend it. How many pro sports millionaires spend their old age broke? I think Leon Spinks is a janitor somewhere. The point is, compared to some former celebs, the fact that Cosby still has a home and a yacht indicates that he is doing okay, even if he is in the position of having to liquidate them now.

#21 Black Sox

Black Sox

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Booze, blow and broads.  Not much left over to be to keep the good ship Bristol.

"I spent 90% of it on women and booze, and wasted the rest."

#22 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

I suspect that if he were younger and healthier he wouldn't be selling it, but there comes a time when you just have to let it go. It's a lot of money and a lot of energy. At $750K I imagine he will about breakeven for what he's had to spend over the years.

As an aside, was that a gate across the road to his house? I've always wondered whether Les Emerson, who wrote "Signs", lives in a gated community now. That would be pleasingly ironic.

#23 DISHONEST ASSHOLE

DISHONEST ASSHOLE

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

I suspect that if he were younger and healthier he wouldn't be selling it, but there comes a time when you just have to let it go. It's a lot of money and a lot of energy. At $750K I imagine he will about breakeven for what he's had to spend over the years.

I would not be surprised at all if he spent well over $750k on a 59 foot wooden sailboat on routine upkeep and maintenance over the years

#24 6924

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

Ikani is correct - lay people equate the Band 'earned' XX million last year with what the musicans earned. 

Not - much better to realize that headline earnings for musicians and other celebrities are similar to a company's revenues. Net Profit will be what the musician actually gets paid.  Just like in any business, net profit is a small percentage of revenues. 

#25 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

Decent article, and I appreciate him being frank about it, but ...because of his MORTGAGE ??

Bitch, Please.

My life sucks because I can read or because I can form an opinion of a story ? wtf ?

Bitter ? because I thought it was strange how he goes on about how important the boat is to him and then how he can't afford to keep it up ? God Forbid anyone ever speak up around you. I think you are projecting.

I didn't get he sense he was complaining, lust stating facts, he can't afford the boat. Who in this group hasn't been the same situation?

He didn't come off as an ass, unlike you.

#26 Happy

Happy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

I've just listened to DC's new album "Croz".

Nash and Mark Knopfler are on it, stunningly great record from an old bloke.

Mayan is a beautiful boat, Crosby's love for her is a beautiful thing.

Arguing about his finances sort of misses the point............

#27 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

Bitch, Please.

I didn't get he sense he was complaining, lust stating facts, he can't afford the boat. Who in this group hasn't been the same situation?

Yeah, How Dare I have an opinion.

The guy has probably snorted more money than I'll likely ever earn, but I'm supposed to feel for him because he can't afford his big spread in Santa Barbara AND care for the 'deep muse' he's owned for 46 years ?

I'm crying a fucking river for him, and for your sandy vagina, Bmiller.

#28 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

Bitch, Please.

Yeah, How Dare I have an opinion.

The guy has probably snorted more money than I'll likely ever earn, but I'm supposed to feel for him because he can't afford his big spread in Santa Barbara AND care for the 'deep muse' he's owned for 46 years ?

I'm crying a fucking river for him, and for your sandy vagina, Bmiller.

No that's just it, you are not supposed to cry him a river. He's selling a boat. Big fucking deal. But if it makes you feel better talking big on the interwebz have at it.

#29 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:14 AM

God Forbid anyone actually have a discussion on Sailing Anarchy - and you are so self-important you can't help but call me names for having the NERVE to ask if it doesn't seem a little strange to anyone else that he claims not to be ABLE to afford to keep the boat up - the one he claims is important to him, that he takes his family out sailing on whenever he can and that his wife will 'break his arms' if he did sell.

All while making a lot more dough than most folks.

I'm not knocking the guy - like I said right up front, I appreciate his candor - and I know articles can be edited to sound entirely different from what he may have said in an interview, but it just came off odd to me he was playing the broke card, and then drove home in a nice car to his mansion.

But I'm sure he's glad you have his back.

#30 bmiller

bmiller

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

Go back and read post #8 and tell me that is supposed to be a discussion.

You need to get a life, seriously.

I'm done.

#31 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

You're done ? Oh, dear, what will we do now ?

The point was just observing the odd conflicting sentiments in:

"But partying is not what the boat was about. The boat is higher than a party. Sailing sweeps you away, and a party seems pallid and shallow. The boat is a way deeper experience, especially on long trips. I love voyaging—the longest has been 3,000 miles to Hawaii. I've also spent weeks all over the Caribbean.

I still take the Mayan out sailing every chance I get with my wife our son. But honestly, I haven't been able to afford the boat's upkeep for a while given my mortgage and other expenses. It's been on the market for a few years, but my wife would break my arms if I actually sold it."

So he digs the boat, claims to sail it every chance he gets, and hasn't been able to afford the upkeep for a while (great sales pitch, btw) - because of "EXPENSES" -- by golly, somebody snuck in and spent all the poor dude's money !

Couldn't POSSIBLY be that HE chose other to put other priorities ahead of the boat, no - it's that DARN MORTGAGE ! Ugh, if only he hadn't been forced at gunpoint to buy that great big home, and Maserati, and all those guitars, and....

None of which I fault the man for, mind you - just don't tell me how important the boat is to you and then say you can't afford it because you have other bills.

But I'M the ass. Got it. It's MY fault he's got Hep C and diabetes too, because I never bought any of his albums. ( who needs to ? they played the shit endlessly on the radio for like 40 years )

I didn't even call him a Fucking Hippy - I was being NICE !

Now, TELLING ME to 'get a life' while you post to bitch about a post that I made ? Well, I said what I thought and all you can do is whine, so... careful about calling the Pot Black, Mr. Kettle.

#32 pro from dover

pro from dover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:43 AM

In the last 4 yrs the boat was re planked, 70% frames replaced and new teak deck installed. Plus the usuaul bits and bobs that go along with a job of this size.  1.1 - 1.5 MILLION $ is my guess. Whats your best guess ?

#33 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

Lord knows you could plow that kind of dough into a woody this size pretty easily if the project was 'managed' in a way that allowed it - like if you were out on tour, or passed out for a couple months.

It's the worst realization in the article - if even a successful artist can't afford one of these, what chance does a normal working Joe have ?

#34 pro from dover

pro from dover

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

Lord knows you could plow that kind of dough into a woody this size pretty easily if the project was 'managed' in a way that allowed it - like if you were out on tour, or passed out for a couple months.

It's the worst realization in the article - if even a successful artist can't afford one of these, what chance does a normal working Joe have ?

Listen up grandpa, a project like is managed day by day. Sure you hope for the best but untill the planks come off you dont know what the frames look like.

#35 Ikani

Ikani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

Wow reading some of these posts is like walking through the yacht club after a Wednesday night race...More "Know it all" then "KNow anything"  

Everyone has their own financial cross to bear.  I have never earned the kind of money that CSN or DC (either one) has earned BUT I can tell you this.  When I was a touring lighting tech I usually took home more money per week then the opening acts, and at least the same, some times better then the side musicians.

When David Crosby mentions his "Mortgage" he is most likely speaking figuratively using the term "Mortgage" to represent his care for his family / families that he is being financially responsible for, his medical payments, his tax's, his son's future, his employees and their family (a guy like him has a few people on the payroll).  And at this point in his life he is making the responsible choice to use his LIMITED funds to pay for the things that are somewhat more necessary then a 59'OD, 74'OA yacht.  (Read Chapmans some of you)   Are you guys really sailors who write these posts online?  

So...those of you who are argumentative can get your heads out of the protest room, put your small appendage attitude away and realize that much like your job at McDonalds... everyone has bills...And

David Crosby contributed more to Peace, Love, Good Will, Sailing and Charity by the time he was your age then you ballast brains put together in your entire lifetime ever could. 

#36 Madmax

Madmax

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,879 posts
  • Interests:Sailing Surfing Flying Skiing

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:06 AM

Heard he spent North of 1 million redoing it about 5 years ago.

That thing NEVER goes out sailing.  I saw it go out once in 10 years.

#37 Ikani

Ikani

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

In the last 4 yrs the boat was re planked, 70% frames replaced and new teak deck installed. Plus the usuaul bits and bobs that go along with a job of this size.  1.1 - 1.5 MILLION $ is my guess. Whats your best guess ?

It was reported that Dorade received upwards of 6 million to restore and make her Transpac ready...She was looking good in Honolulu...Miramar went into the yard to replace a few planks and came out with an entire new hull and mostly new frames.  Then you look at what it costs to run a bog boat like Endeavor... I guess it;s all relative...You could get that Sabot for free but to make it look bristol will still cost a thousand dollars...or more...(much less if you do all the labor yourself)

#38 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

I will say that for someone with the dough and inclination to buy the boat, Crosby's frank discussion of the expense of the thing would be a sobering gut check. I'll bet the broker was none too pleased with the tone of the article

#39 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,255 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Crosby sounds like an honest guy to me. Seems quite real.

#40 DISHONEST ASSHOLE

DISHONEST ASSHOLE

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

I will say that for someone with the dough and inclination to buy the boat, Crosby's frank discussion of the expense of the thing would be a sobering gut check. I'll bet the broker was none too pleased with the tone of the article

If you have to ask what it costs....

#41 maarten

maarten

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Sailing
    X treme 25
    JS9000
    Admirality 30

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thanks David for keeping the beauty alive for so long. Time to pass it on to someone else is just realistic despite all the moaners and envious comments. (being envious myself on being able to afford such a beautiful yacht) Kudo's to all the people who keep these yachts afloat! not matter where they come form or what they do.

#42 SHNOOL

SHNOOL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:sailing.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

http://www.yachtworl...es#.UoZ4-OJ0nne

Also seems pretty intent on selling... the history of the boat itself makes it a worthy purchase for a well heeled collector.  She's a pretty boat for sure.  Sounds to me that upkeep might be expensive for sure, but certainly wasn't forgotten like a lot of boats I see on the aftermarket.

#43 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Crosby sure is a complex man. I have never been able to understand how a person who makes such beautiful music and has the soul to love a boat like that could also descend into a drug and gun fuelled madness that ruined his health. It's good to see he finally shaped up his life.

One things for certain - he must have been lousy with money over the years to not be able to afford her any longer.

#44 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

What a life he has had.

Talk about living to the fullest.

What a thing it would be to buy that boat with the understanding his favorite guitar comes with it and stays aboard, and that David and friends were welcome aboard any time any place too.  Oh, I would pay a lot for that.  If only I could.

#45 zenmasterfred

zenmasterfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

As Buffet says, "I wish that we could sit on the bed in some motel and listen to the stories we could tell", kudos to David Crosby, I'll bet he has some stories he could tell.

#46 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

As Buffet says, "I wish that we could sit on the bed in some motel and listen to the stories we could tell", kudos to David Crosby, I'll bet he has some stories he could tell.

Actually...

By: John B. Sebastian 
Talkin' to myself again 
Wonderin' if this travellin' is good 
Is there somethin' else a' doin' 
We'd be doin' if we could 

Chorus: 
But ah, the stories we could tell 
And if it all blows up and goes to Hell 
I wish that we could sit upon a bed in some motel 
Listen to the stories we could tell 

Stared at that guitar in that museum in Tennessee 
Nameplate on the glass brought back twenty melodies 
Scars upon the face told of all the times he fell 
Singin' all the stories he could tell 

Chorus: 
Ah, the stories he could tell 
And I'll bet you it still rings like a bell 
And listen to the stories it could tell 

So if you're on the road trackin' down your every night 
Playin' for a livin' beneath brightly colored lights 
And if you ever wonder why you ride the carousel 
You do it for the stories you can tell 

Ah, the stories we could tell 
And if it all blows up and goes to Hell 
Just listen to the stories we could tell 

Coda: 
Yes, I wish that we could sit upon a bed in some motel 
Listen to the stories it could tell

#47 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

Without CNY, would we have Joni Mitchell?  The most angelic voice and brilliant poet I've ever heard live in concert?  These people were OUT THERE!

If 46 years maintaining an Alden schooner isn't enough to earn some respect, how about friends like Joni?

Pat Metheny, Joni Mitchell, Jaco Pastorius, Michael Brecker - "Shadows And Light"

#48 By the lee

By the lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

. Look at the picture of him and tell me he's in good enough health to do what a wooden boat requires of you.

No kidding, eh?

I got a brother in his late '60's who's going to end up replacing every single fucking fastener and much of the lumber in a 44' double ender he bought some 30 years ago. Had to buy an entire tree to find a piece of timber big enough to make some do-dad that goes on the bottom.

At this point I can't tell if the project is keeping him alive or slowly killing him. <_<

#49 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Pat Metheny, Joni Mitchell, Jaco Pastorius, Michael Brecker - "Shadows And Light"

This concert tour was an amazing collaboration of uncommonly good musicians! Stunning performances!

#50 knucklehead

knucklehead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

. Look at the picture of him and tell me he's in good enough health to do what a wooden boat requires of you.

No kidding, eh?

I got a brother in his late '60's who's going to end up replacing every single fucking fastener and much of the lumber in a 44' double ender he bought some 30 years ago. Had to buy an entire tree to find a piece of timber big enough to make some do-dad that goes on the bottom.

At this point I can't tell if the project is keeping him alive or slowly killing him. <_<

And on the seventh day God invented fibreglass...... :)

#51 TBone

TBone

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Without CNY, would we have Joni Mitchell?  

Not CSNY. David Crosby, specifically.

#52 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

I ran into David a couple days ago at the surf shop.  Talked to him for a couple minutes.  Talked about being on the road.  Told me about his son.  How big he was getting etc.  I know he takes the Mayan out when ever he can.  He loves that boat. 

#53 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,659 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Normal working Joes should definitely not buy old wooden schooners.  

#54 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Without CNY, would we have Joni Mitchell?  The most angelic voice and brilliant poet I've ever heard live in concert?  These people were OUT THERE!

I once worked with a guy who grew up with Joni Mitchell. He told us stories of parties in high school where they'd all be drunk & stoned and she'd pull out her guitar and start singing folk songs.

Their response? "Joni, ferfuckssakes, quit with the whiny do-gooder music and play some rock & roll". :D

#55 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,400 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Good article and mostly good thread.  The "Shadows and Light" clip was awesome, great memories.  Many years ago I was a musician though never on that scale (worked for scale: the double pun).  It is not a lifestyle conducive to either good health or financial management.   I started racing in that same period and on more than one occasion showed up still under the influence of something or other.  Good times......  sort of.  

Good on Crosby for keeping it together, I don't think I could have. When you are rolling everybody wants to be your friend and the sharks are always circling.    Hope the boat finds a good home. 

#56 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,400 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

I once worked with a guy who grew up with Joni Mitchell. He told us stories of parties in high school where they'd all be drunk & stoned and she'd pull out her guitar and start singing folk songs.

Their response? "Joni, ferfuckssakes, quit with the whiny do-gooder music and play some rock & roll". :D

:D I can so see that happening. 

#57 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,255 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

CBC2 had a long interview with Joni last weekend. She is very special and she went out of her way to let the interviewer know it. She was a bit annoying but,,,,she is Joni and I have huge respect for her talent. I have multiple copies of BLUE on vinyl. Just in case I wear one copy out.

I wish I could run into David Crosby at the store.

Where does he keep his boat?

#58 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

Where does he keep his boat?

Santa Barbara

#59 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

Without CNY, would we have Joni Mitchell?

Not CSNY. David Crosby, specifically.

David Crosby "discovered" Joni Mitchell and produced her first album.

While she was playing one night in "The Gaslight South", a club in Coconut Grove, Florida, David Crosby walked in and was immediately struck by her ability and her appeal as an artist. He took her back to Los Angeles, where he set about introducing her and her music to his friends. Crosby convinced a record company to agree to let Mitchell record a solo acoustic album without all the folk-rock overdubs that were in vogue at the time, and his clout earned him a producer's credit in March 1968, when Reprise Records released her debut album, alternatively known as Joni Mitchell or Song to a Seagull.

At 14:44: http://youtu.be/KL20ICiejI4?t=14m44s

#60 zenmasterfred

zenmasterfred

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

Okay, never toooo old to learn, didn't John Sebastian wrote the tune.  Must be something I consumed along the way.

#61 Mastadon

Mastadon

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

Bought a lottery ticket after reading this thread. "Interested buyer, must meet seller personally".

#62 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,755 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:45 AM

Dose he appressiate fiine bolonna to?

#63 Wess

Wess

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:52 AM

Snags - You are lost. This is the wrong thread for you. You are looking for the Bob Dylan thread. Its 2 blocks to the left. Wess

#64 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,755 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:00 AM

Snags - You are lost. This is the wrong thread for you. You are looking for the Bob Dylan thread. Its 2 blocks to the left. Wess

Ille bette Bob chuckelled at that liine, and mabey evan laffed.  My jobbes donne.    :)

#65 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,255 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yep Snags. It's 4:21am and I am chuckling at that line.

First chuckle of the day.

#66 PeteRowland

PeteRowland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Crosby sure is a complex man. I have never been able to understand how a person who makes such beautiful music and has the soul to love a boat like that could also descend into a drug and gun fuelled madness that ruined his health. It's good to see he finally shaped up his life.

One things for certain - he must have been lousy with money over the years to not be able to afford her any longer.

I would think just the opposite ..... Many times it's a tortured soul who makes beautiful music and loves ethereal things like sailing or wooden boats, and easy money goes easily.  Looking your own death in the eye gives one new perspective.

#67 mo fuzz

mo fuzz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

I bet that new kidney (or was it liver) wasn't cheap.

#68 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

Some cool audio performances here on the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p01lj2b6

#69 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,255 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

The history is great music is litterred with tortured souls. It's damn near a requirement. Gives you something to think about, art and pain.

#70 'moondance44

'moondance44

Anarchist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • Location:Dodgy Bit Of Stamford, CT and The Cows, Graveyard of LIS where bluefish get blown off wire leaders

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

I bet that new kidney (or was it liver) wasn't cheap.

He has Obamacare.. Cost him nothing. 

But it a was a kidney from a goat.

#71 Great Red Shark

Great Red Shark

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

But it a was a kidney from a goat.

You say that like it's a Baaaaaaaaaaaad thing.

#72 soak_ed

soak_ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

The history is great music is litterred with tortured souls. It's damn near a requirement. Gives you something to think about, art and pain.

Somebody smarter than I once said; "Great art never comes from happiness."

#73 On the Hard

On the Hard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Yep Snags. It's 4:21am and I am chuckling at that line.
First chuckle of the day.

Bob, were you gettin' up early or going to bed late? I hope the former, because to stay up til 4:21 and not have had your first chuckle of the day is no way to go through life. (insert smiley face here)

#74 Bob Perry

Bob Perry

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,255 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hard:

I get up early. Always have. I think sunrise is the nicest time of the day and I don't like to miss it. I go fishing almost every morning.

#75 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:38 AM

David Crosby releases 1st solo album in 20 years
http://www.sfgate.co...ars-5212222.php

David Crosby, two-time Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and survivor of three fatal diseases, has released his first solo album in 20 years, "Croz." Recorded with his son James Raymond, it features stellar collaborators (Wynton Marsalis, Mark Knopfler) and is drawing even more stellar reviews. The 72-year-old singer will tour this year with Crosby, Stills & Nash (and possibly Young), but first he will play two solo sets at the Great American Music Hall this month.

An Evening With David Crosby: 8 p.m. Feb. 20-21. $60-$84.95. Great American Music Hall, 859 O'Farrell St., S.F. (415) 885-0750. www.slimspresents.com

#76 boxertwin

boxertwin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

Great Red Shark, on 14 Nov 2013 - 13:52, said:snapback.png

Decent article, and I appreciate him being frank about it, but that bit about not being able to afford to keep the boat in top shape is a bit disingenuous-sounding to me. His Mortgage and other expenses ? Why not just Fess Up and admit you have other priorities ? If a multi-platinum selling record artist can't afford to keep a wooden boat that size, who can ? Wonder what silly shit he's spent his dough on over the decades that DIDN'T involve the boat he supposedly loves so much ?

Pretty good article for sure but doesn't touch on where the money went. I just finished reading Graham Nash's book "Wild Tales" which gives you a much better idea of the cost of Crosby's multiple addictions. He was broke or worse for years, and that was during their most popular era. BTW good read with lots of nostalga for aging baby boomers.

The trip through the Panama Canal sounded insane; a crew of sailors, non-sailors, band members, ex-lovers, current lovers and an amazing quantity of drugs. What an offshore mix, ha?  Add to that the cost of 2 liver transplants and maybe an old wooden gaffer might be too much.

Real happy to see Crosby today; clean, alive, happy....and still playing.

Bill

#77 ProaSailor

ProaSailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Pretty good article for sure but doesn't touch on where the money went. I just finished reading Graham Nash's book "Wild Tales" which gives you a much better idea of the cost of Crosby's multiple addictions. He was broke or worse for years, and that was during their most popular era. BTW good read with lots of nostalga for aging baby boomers.

The trip through the Panama Canal sounded insane; a crew of sailors, non-sailors, band members, ex-lovers, current lovers and an amazing quantity of drugs. What an offshore mix, ha?  Add to that the cost of 2 liver transplants and maybe an old wooden gaffer might be too much.

Real happy to see Crosby today; clean, alive, happy....and still playing.

Bill

From a review of the book at Amazon:

We learn how Nash's love for his musical partner David Crosby, would lead to his spear-heading an intervention to save him from the drugs that took so many others, way too young. How when David seemed to have lost it all, Graham stepped in and bought up his publishing rights, to protect them from creditors, and how he took his dear friend, despondent and nearly suicidal over the death of Christine Hinton, and got him away from the madness and out onto the open seas in David's boat, The Mayan, an effort that no doubt saved his life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users