Shitty Olympics in Brazil - bring a roll of toilet paper with you.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

http://news.msn.com/...of-trash-sewage

#2 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,813 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

''Leonardo Gryner, chief operating officer of Rio's organizing committee, has acknowledged the extent of the water quality problem. But he said projects were "well advanced" to make good on the city's commitment to reduce 80 percent of the pollution flowing into the bay, where sailing and wind surfing events are to be held.''

..........................what are they going to do---give everyone constipation??

...oh,,I guess there's some hope of improvement if they actually hook-up these facilities!  :mellow: .......

...................''The Japanese government helped fund an effort to clean up Rio's Guanabara Bay starting in 1992, but two decades later there's little to show for the more than $700 million spent. At least five sewage treatment plants were built with the money, but most run under capacity because they haven't been fully linked to the collection pipes. One plant, in the gritty suburb of Sao Goncalo, across the bay from Rio, has yet to treat a drop of sewage.''

...........it'd probably be a good idea for teams to bring the equivalent of 'tunnel-canaries' with them---goldfish in little cages,,attached to their current-monitors!? :huh:

#3 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

"There's no way to work in these waters, where you are literally neck deep in feces in some places, and not be afraid of the health effects," Freitas said.

At low tide, household trash, including old washing machines and soggy couches, float atop vast islands of accumulated sewage and sediment. Experts say it's even possible that vessels plowing through the water at speeds of more than 20 mph during Olympic events could collide with floating detritus below the surface.

In the waters just off Copacabana beach, the measurement of fecal coliform bacteria spiked to 16 times the Brazilian government's satisfactory level as recently as three weeks ago, bad news for the marathon swimmers and triathletes set to compete there.

The Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas often experiences huge fish die-offs that leave its surface blanketed with tons of dead fish. Rowing and canoeing events are set to take place on the briny lake.

---------------

If they can get the city sewage going through the treatment plants before 2016, in their off hours they should run the bay waters through the treatment plants.

#4 fingerbang

fingerbang

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:gypo blacktopper

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

"He's gonna Shit When He realizes its Shit!"

#5 BLA BLA BLA

BLA BLA BLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

Just think about the poor sailors in the Paralympic 2.4mR.

Maybe a full helmet is in order?

#6 Somebody Else

Somebody Else

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,994 posts
  • Interests:Shootings, just like HotRod!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

My take-away from this is that Brazil has finally achieved parity with the Late Middle Ages in Europe, when people would just dump their poop out of the window and onto the street.

What's next for Rio? Bubonic plague?

Nice. :/

#7 gui

gui

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

Sounds almost as dangerous as sailing in the Chesapeake!
:)

#8 miscut jib

miscut jib

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

My take-away from this is that Brazil has finally achieved parity with the Late Middle Ages in Europe, when people would just dump their poop out of the window and onto the street.

I take it you never venture out in the ocean after rain in SoCal. Particularly near an outflow.

#9 dcbsheb

dcbsheb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

I take it you never venture out in the ocean after rain in SoCal. Particularly near an outflow.

Or the waters of Lake Michigan off of Milwaukee

#10 Asymptote

Asymptote

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:08 AM

Well, at least the famed Long Island Sound "whitefish" are apparently rarer than they used to be.  

I remember when the turning mark off Mamaroneck was pretty much directly above the city sewer outfall.  Not a place to be in a drifter.  Things have improved though.  

Regarding SoCal run off, nobody wants to pay fees so everybody gets the same (lack of) treatment.  Probably the same in Milwaukee.

#11 BLA BLA BLA

BLA BLA BLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:14 AM

You guys got to be kidding me.
Off SO CAL we have some storm drain runoff that does carry some E-Coli because of the Basin that is rather LARGE. Homeless and other turds that people let loose cause most of the problem. Copper Content in Harbors can be attributed to Brake Dust, not bottom paint.

I cannot believe that the "the waters of Lake Michigan off of Milwaukee" are as bad as described about RIO.

We have had the Federal Clean Water Act in effect since 1972. What the F has Wisconsin and Illinois been doing? In California, the discharge limits are far stricter than the Federal requirements for Waste water Treatment Plants. I cannot wait till Storm Drain runn offs is regulated too.
I worked in the Waster Water Treatment business since 1987 up until my accident in 1998.
I can say that the waters off of the Santa Barbara/Oxnard/Ventura area are far far cleaner and safer than they were in the 70's.

I'm sure the countries just inching out of 3rd Words Status (China and Brazil) do not have any laws like the Clean Water Act here in the US. This is something Countries that have moved beyond the Industrial Age have incorporated into their lifestyle and that includes most of the Euro countries. The rest of the world is lost and unfortunately producing products for sale via corporations bent on profits at all cost and Government officials taking payola for looking the other way.

#12 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics will show the World the real joke our left-wing "bolivarian" government is.

#13 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,452 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

These games will certainly have an air of diSTINKion...

#14 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

Where will the various countries perform their team training in the next 3 years?

In the sewage treatment plants?  They'll develop the skills how to free themselves from sludge, learn how to swipe toilet paper off of their foils, have little windshield wipers on their glasses with a little spritzer hooked up to it, and they'll be trained never to smile!  They'll all take major prophylactic antibiotics which will have to be cleared by WADA.

#15 USA190520

USA190520

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Pinching off the competition has new meaning

"We were a little bound up after the start but once we relaxed a little, we were able go deuce deuce for the day"

#16 dcbsheb

dcbsheb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

Off SO CAL we have some storm drain runoff that does carry some E-Coli because of the Basin that is rather LARGE. Homeless and other turds that people let loose cause most of the problem. Copper Content in Harbors can be attributed to Brake Dust, not bottom paint.

I cannot believe that the "the waters of Lake Michigan off of Milwaukee" are as bad as described about RIO.

We have had the Federal Clean Water Act in effect since 1972. What the F has Wisconsin and Illinois been doing? In California, the discharge limits are far stricter than the Federal requirements for Waste water Treatment Plants. I cannot wait till Storm Drain runn offs is regulated too.
I worked in the Waster Water Treatment business since 1987 up until my accident in 1998.
I can say that the waters off of the Santa Barbara/Oxnard/Ventura area are far far cleaner and safer than they were in the 70's.

I'm sure the countries just inching out of 3rd Words Status (China and Brazil) do not have any laws like the Clean Water Act here in the US. This is something Countries that have moved beyond the Industrial Age have incorporated into their lifestyle and that includes most of the Euro countries. The rest of the world is lost and unfortunately producing products for sale via corporations bent on profits at all cost and Government officials taking payola for looking the other way.

Milwaukee has a very nice waste water treatment plant that produces some of the best lawn fertilizer around.  The problem there is the combined storm and sanitary sewer system.  They do have a "Deep Tunnel" to hold water as it is waiting to be treated.  From time to time, mainly in the spring during heavy rainfall as snow is melting, the deep tunnel reaches capacity causing MMSD to dump raw sewage into area rivers as a way to alleviate the strain on the system.

I do not live in Chicago, so I don't have first hand knowledge of the issue there.  I have heard that if you would try to canoe down the Chicago River the water gets thicker and browner the closer you get to the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, which flows directly toward the Mississippi River.

How's that Budweiser tasting now?

#17 BLA BLA BLA

BLA BLA BLA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

Milwaukee has a very nice waste water treatment plant that produces some of the best lawn fertilizer around.  The problem there is the combined storm and sanitary sewer system.  They do have a "Deep Tunnel" to hold water as it is waiting to be treated.  From time to time, mainly in the spring during heavy rainfall as snow is melting, the deep tunnel reaches capacity causing MMSD to dump raw sewage into area rivers as a way to alleviate the strain on the system.

I do not live in Chicago, so I don't have first hand knowledge of the issue there.  I have heard that if you would try to canoe down the Chicago River the water gets thicker and browner the closer you get to the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, which flows directly toward the Mississippi River.

I so not drink Bud.

From what I have read here, Illinois and Wisconsin are 20 years behind California in protecting their environment. The life blood of the Tourism industry.

I have sailed out of Belmont Station in Chicago and the water is good, While I was there.

Having a Water Science Degree (Water and Waster Treatment) I can say that I do know what I am talking about here.

If the government bought officials do not get their head out of their asses, The GREAT LAKES will become a Cesspool. Based on what you have stated.

#18 yoyoboy

yoyoboy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

Charming.

This is why we can't have Moth sailing in the Olympics...

#19 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,654 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

Nice one.thanks to 190520 for the intro joke.

http://sailinganarch...ympic-shitters/

#20 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

Only way to solve this problem is to only have AC cats competing at the next Olympics.  On the other hand, that much shit in the water would probably break foils and other gear.

#21 Delta Blues

Delta Blues

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

Where's the outrage and screaming bloody murder from US Sailing and ISAF?

Never mind, I forgot about the millions they get from the Olympics and don't want to step on anyone's toes.  You can't cut off that cash flow.

#22 kent_island_sailor

kent_island_sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,538 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

Not really unless you do the race right where Jones Falls comes out in the Inner Harbor right after a big rain.

Sounds almost as dangerous as sailing in the Chesapeake!
:)

#23 Disco Stu

Disco Stu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

100% true story....I can't speak to seeing any floaters, but back in the early 00's I sailed a South American championship out of ICRJ. On the next to last day of the regatta, a dead body was floating next to the weather mark. When we started alerting the locals they told us not to say anything as the police would come down and hold everyone for hours of questioning on a matter that we could be of no help. We rounded that dead body twice during the day before the tide took it out of Guanabara Bay. 

#24 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the water

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Given the way the USA team sailed last time they should be right at home.....?.....now for the shit fight

#25 glowmaster

glowmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Trimarans, Windsurfing, SUP.
    The ultimate trifecta.

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

This is the reason I am not going to sail in the Rio Olympics, yeah that's the reason.....

hehe.

#26 Babel fish

Babel fish

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with the water

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

Another thought, just so I can put shit on someone else.....given Ansley has been Given the title Sir.....you could say he will be sailing a knight cart......full,of shit our Ben

#27 Max Headroom

Max Headroom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Just so we are accurate, Rio is not the capital.  

It is home to millions, squeezed shoreward by the mountains along the coast.  

Where off the Rio coast is the racing venue?  Should move it out beyond Barra da Tijuca.  That's south of Rio.  Cabo Frio would be better.

#28 Mingo

Mingo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

There is only one way to respond to such an "article". BULLSHIT!!!

Who is your source??? Dan Meyers???? 

Get real, grow up, beat Robert Scheidt on the water...

#29 Trov„o

Trov„o

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,241 posts
  • Interests:sailing (pretty obvious, uhmm)preferentially on boats with more than one hull ;D

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

Just so we are accurate, Rio is not the capital.  

It is home to millions, squeezed shoreward by the mountains along the coast.  

Where off the Rio coast is the racing venue?  Should move it out beyond Barra da Tijuca.  That's south of Rio.  Cabo Frio would be better.

yeah. cabo frio and/or buzios would be a thousand times better - clean, better wind, charming little town.

#30 evenflow

evenflow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Clean water is clearly not a selection criteria for the IOC, they probably just forgot folks would be sailing it in?

Reminds me of a time a grad school when I was wading at a beach in Halifax and saw a syringe and some "hygene products" floating near my leg. My locally raised friend informed me about the raw sewage that gets dumped in the harbour.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Harbour_Solutions  It isn't better on the left coast either... Victoria BC does the same. 

At least the likelihood of finding dead bodies is lower here in Canada, then again... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/human-torso-found-in-suitcase-pulled-from-lake-ontario-1.1293890  I saw the police while leaving the basin that afternoon. 

#31 miscut jib

miscut jib

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Clean water is clearly not a selection criteria for the IOC, they probably just forgot folks would be sailing it in?

It's amazing how much you can forget when an envelope of cash lands in your lap.

#32 linaszuk

linaszuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

to --> "What the F has Wisconsin and Illinois been doing?" ---- Indiana (steel mills, ore, petroleum) and Michigan are spotless?

#33 finding41

finding41

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

Giving a whole new meaning to the term "Shit Show".

#34 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,745 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

Sondes licke thisse venniue stinkes!

#35 Rawhide

Rawhide

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:30 AM

Storm in a toilet bowl, real athletes will carry on undeterred.

#36 Pete M

Pete M

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

someone get a bad mrsa infection, and the IOC will pay, bigtime

they chose the place -  they own the rights - both ways

#37 herbie verstinx

herbie verstinx

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:40 AM

I'm flushed! Why are you all dumping on the Olympics? Sure it's a real stinky situation. Butt crap! It's probably the #2 venue Brazil has to offer. On the other hand, don't hold back and clog the forums with a smear campaign then wipe your hands clean!

#38 cosmicsedso

cosmicsedso

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Boats and trees.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

This discussion reminds me of the absolutely brilliant sailing centre they built in Barcelona for the 1992 Games.

Less than 100m away from a 50m wide, open sewerage outlet!

The general advice to sailors was to "keep your mouth shut".......

#39 minimumfuss

minimumfuss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:kiwis winning, sports

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

Yep that's me out for Rio. I'll watch synchronised swimming instead. Instead;

• One proven way to reduce coliform counts is. to. stop. counting.
  • Wear black like the NZ sailors, pretty white vests might be out.
  • Pass out a container load of 1000 flushes to residents the day before the regatta starts. Peachy. Toilet Duck to foils and hulls. No skid marks their ad says. Major sponsorship opportunities here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users