103 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,847 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

Bush is a Class act, completely unlike the sarcastic arrogance of the current occupant of the White House.

#2 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

I've said it before, and will say it again.  I am impressed with the way GWB has conducted himself since leaving office.

#3 d'ranger

d'ranger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,333 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

I've said it before, and will say it again.  I am impressed with the way GWB has conducted himself since leaving office.

Which is more than we can say for Malarkey since Obama did. 

#4 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

Which is more than we can say for Malarkey since Obama did. 

If Dr. Malarkey had half the class and dignity shown by W since he left office, it would undoubtedly make him Happy, Jack.

#5 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

Bush is a Class act, completely unlike the sarcastic arrogance of the current occupant of the White House.

Oh yeah.  'Cause nothing says "class act and non-arrogance" like telling enemies of the United States to "Bring it on."

Bush was arrogant back when arrogant was cool.

#6 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Oh yeah.  'Cause nothing says "class act and non-arrogance" like telling enemies of the United States to "Bring it on."

Why are you looking backward?   B)

#7 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

It makes him feel better than looking at the present?

#8 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

It makes him feel better than looking at the present?

It is clear sarcasm escapes you.

Next time, I'll make sure to make it easy for even you to spot.

#9 SNEEZY

SNEEZY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

You initial response was level headed and adult. Then you went back to middle school with your bitchy girlfriends.

#10 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

I don't think Ben like to look at the current landscape. He needs relief, an escape from the everyday.

Bush Hating just feels so right to so many.

#11 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

Little doubt the man was thrown into a most difficult situation. Read Decision Points if you want to have a better understanding of why he did what he felt needed to be done.

Funny guy. Shame we couldn't see more of that side of the guy when he was Commander in Chief.

#12 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

Little doubt the man was thrown into a most difficult situation. Read Decision Points if you want to have a better understanding of why he did what he felt needed to be done.

Funny guy. Shame we couldn't see more of that side of the guy when he was Commander in Chief.

It's on my "to read" list. 

That said, he may be a funny guy.  But, that is not even close to the top of the list of attributes I look for in a leader.

#13 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

You initial response was level headed and adult. Then you went back to middle school with your bitchy girlfriends.

I am so deeply touched you are keeping tabs on me.  Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

#14 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

I don't think Ben like to look at the current landscape. He needs relief, an escape from the everyday.

Bush Hating just feels so right to so many.

Every so often I run a 3 for 1 sale on clues, and today just happens to be your lucky day:

Clue 1: I think Obama is a shitty president.

Clue 2: The subject of this thread is Bush, a past President of the United States, being directly compared to a current President as less arrogant. My comment was in direct response to that.

Clue 3: A criticism of someone does not, in any way, reflect "hate". (See clue #1, which I doubt will result in that assessment) I realize how sensitive some people are whenever Bush's name is mentioned in a negative light, but if someone want's to start a thread about him, I won't be shy about hurting your feelings.

#15 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

that was AFTER we were attacked on 911. Obviously you do not understand the difference between arrogance and defiance.

History will look back and judge on his presidency, but one thing is clear during the days and weeks after 911 he was the right man in the right spot. His words and deeds united the nation and filled us with hope. Defiance was exactly what the country wanted and needed. He delivered it with style and pride.

#16 Spatial Ed

Spatial Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,070 posts
  • Interests:Voltramax

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

You don't remember when he said bring it on do you? It wasn't right after 911.

#17 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,847 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

I am so deeply touched you are keeping tabs on me.  Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

I stopped reading at touched.

#18 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Anyone catch were he talked about Putin? Stated he liked the guy despite the fact that Putin made fun of his dog.

#19 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

You don't remember when he said bring it on do you? It wasn't right after 911.

. You are correct I was thinking of the New York visit where he said "soon the whole world will hear you"

Doesn't change the point IMOP

#20 No.6

No.6

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Danger

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:33 PM

That said, he may be a funny guy.  But, that is not even close to the top of the list of attributes I look for in a leader.

I disagree, respectfully. A leader needs to have the ability to laugh at himself. I shows a human side that is lost on so many leaders who take themselves way too seriously.

#21 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

that was AFTER we were attacked on 911. Obviously you do not understand the difference between arrogance and defiance.

History will look back and judge on his presidency, but one thing is clear during the days and weeks after 911 he was the right man in the right spot. His words and deeds united the nation and filled us with hope. Defiance was exactly what the country wanted and needed. He delivered it with style and pride.

Really?  Because Bush himself admitted it was a mistake here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=cUCJlV6s0dU

I reccomend not telling me that Bush hates himself.

Rather, defend him for saying it and now defend him for apologizing that he said it.  You can now even rack up "humble" as a postive trait.  He's a humble man for apogizing for having style and pride.

How many days and weeks after 911 did he make the statement, by the way?  It's a lot, and I don't have a calculator handy.

#22 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Rather, defend him for saying it and now defend him for apologizing that he said it.  You can now even rack up "humble" as a postive trait.  He's a humble man for apogizing for having style and pride.

How many days and weeks after 911 did he make the statement, by the way?  It's a lot, and I don't have a calculator handy.
. I already admitted that I was thinking of a different speech.

But you knew that didn't you?

#23 SNEEZY

SNEEZY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yes you do. You are posting from a computer Ben.

#24 another 505 sailor

another 505 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

Lie #12,857

#25 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Lie #12,857
sooo sarcasm from happy = lie

Sarcasm from Ben, SE, D'ranger.... = ok.

Your double standard is showing.

I can't believe I just defended Jack. Need to go wash my typing fingers.

#26 Mark K

Mark K

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,441 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

I disagree, respectfully. A leader needs to have the ability to laugh at himself. I shows a human side that is lost on so many leaders who take themselves way too seriously.

Leno:  "That's a nice picture of "Bob", George. Can you do one of "Matt" for us?"  

20h3olt.jpg

#27 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

I disagree, as well - respectfully.  I didn't say I don't want a leader to be humorless.  I said it wasn't near the top of my list of attributes I would prefer.

Anyway, W comes across as folksy and charming.  And, he has conducted himself in a dignified and humble manner since leaving the Oval Office.

#28 Rum Runner

Rum Runner

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

W is much better as an ex-President than he was as a President.  

I expect Obama will be a failure when he leaves just as he is now.  Too much ego in that guy.

#29 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,847 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Instead of class we get crass

PRESIDENT OBAMA: The last point I'll make is that in terms of expectation setting, there's no doubt that in an environment in which we had to fight tooth and nail to get this passed, it ended up being passed on a partisan basis -- not for lack of trying, because I met with an awful lot of Republicans to try to get them to go along -- but because there was just ideological resistance to the idea of dealing with the uninsured and people with preexisting conditions. There was a price to that, and it was that what was already going to be hard was operating within a very difficult political environment. And we should have anticipated that that would create a rockier rollout than if Democrats and Republicans were both invested in success.

One of the problems we've had is one side of Capitol Hill is invested in failure, and that makes, I think, the kind of iterative process of fixing glitches as they come up and fine-tuning the law more challenging. 

#30 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Obama seems to see the opposition as the enemy rather than the adversary. Big difference, the old masters at the game like Teddy, Tip, reagan, somewhat Clinton, and others accomplished 75 percent of their goals even when the numbers are stacked against each side.
Obama seems to look at the opposition as an enemy to be vanquished,and the ObamaCare bill is what comes out of that kind of all or nothing approach.
I guess when you come from Chicago you simply steamroll your opposition. Team up with Nancy "giant gavel" Pelosi and Harry "Hammer" Reid and we get the mess we have today.
Democrats felt like victors after the October "shutdown" because they felt like once again they "won." The irony is that the Republicans were mainly trying to stop ObamaCare, which in hindsight would have been a benefit to Obama.

#31 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

How timely:

"A good President needs a big comfort zone. He should be able to treat enemies as opportunities, appear authentic in joy and grief, stay cool under the hot lights. But humility doesn't come naturally to those who decide they are qualified to run the free world. So the sign that the Obama presidency had reached a turning point came not when his poll numbers sank or his allies shuddered or the commentariat went hunting for the right degree of debacle to compare to the rollout of Obamacare."

http://content.time....l#ixzz2lIyGnKZb

#32 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

Leno:  "That's a nice picture of "Bob", George. Can you do one of "Matt" for us?"  

20h3olt.jpg

319f484be2377e26430f6a70670003dd_origina

I put a higher responsibility  for the death of an American Border Agent than humiliation of Iraqi Prisoners, but hey each to their own

#33 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

Obama seems to see the opposition as the enemy rather than the adversary. Big difference, the old masters at the game like Teddy, Tip, reagan, somewhat Clinton, and others accomplished 75 percent of their goals even when the numbers are stacked against each side.
Obama seems to look at the opposition as an enemy to be vanquished,and the ObamaCare bill is what comes out of that kind of all or nothing approach.
I guess when you come from Chicago you simply steamroll your opposition. Team up with Nancy "giant gavel" Pelosi and Harry "Hammer" Reid and we get the mess we have today.
Democrats felt like victors after the October "shutdown" because they felt like once again they "won." The irony is that the Republicans were mainly trying to stop ObamaCare, which in hindsight would have been a benefit to Obama.

Sorry, WC - but, I've got to take exception w/a portion of your comment, namely, that it's not just Obama, or his cabinet, or the Democrats that are behaving in the manner you decry. There are damn few members of our electorate for whom their personal and professional behaviors are exempt from similar reproach.  Likewise, honest discussion in our populace seems to have taken a backseat to folks looking hard for some reason to be offended by something someone else said.  The tone and intention of discourse needs to change, and if we don't start with ourselves, first, it's not going to happen. 

#34 another 505 sailor

another 505 sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:05 AM

TM,
There's not enough time in the day to address all those darned Liberals and their darned lies.
And don't get me started on Ben, the biggest Lying Liberal here.

#35 JMD

JMD

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:55 AM

20h3olt.jpg

319f484be2377e26430f6a70670003dd_origina

I put a higher responsibility  for the death of an American Border Agent than humiliation of Iraqi Prisoners, but hey each to their own

How many suicide bombers and IED planters (the people that kill US soldiers) do you think were inspired by the events at Abu Ghraib?

This is why we have no business doing this nation building shit. People just don't understand how it works.

#36 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,847 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:38 AM

How many suicide bombers and IED planters (the people that kill US soldiers) do you think were inspired by the events at Abu Ghraib?

This is why we have no business doing this nation building shit. People just don't understand how it works.

Good thing hellfire missiles launched from drones that blow up bad guys along with their wife, kids and the extended family are all chill and good with the suicide bombers and IED planters. Otherwise you might have to actually blame Obama for something... Perish the thought....

PS I bet the current generation of suicide bombers and IED planter don't even know what Abu Ghraib is.but I bet they know that Obama reneged on his promise to close Gitmo.

#37 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

Yes you do. You are posting from a computer Ben.

A horse walks into a bar.  The bartender says, "Why the long face."

Sneezy:  "Well, because he's a horse.  Horses have long faces."

You must be a real hit at parties.

#38 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

. I already admitted that I was thinking of a different speech.

But you knew that didn't you?

It's quite possible to have an editor window open writing a post, while others are adding posts.  But you knew that didn't you?   At least it allowed you to dodge the fact that Bush apologized for what you thought was just a dandy remark.

#39 White Cracker

White Cracker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Sorry, WC - but, I've got to take exception w/a portion of your comment, namely, that it's not just Obama, or his cabinet, or the Democrats that are behaving in the manner you decry. There are damn few members of our electorate for whom their personal and professional behaviors are exempt from similar reproach.  Likewise, honest discussion in our populace seems to have taken a backseat to folks looking hard for some reason to be offended by something someone else said.  The tone and intention of discourse needs to change, and if we don't start with ourselves, first, it's not going to happen. 

Leadership starts at the top.

Your point is well taken, but my point addresses the current state of leadership at the WH, which in my opinion is the worst in terms of relationship and consensus building in recent history. 

#40 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

Leadership starts at the top.

Your point is well taken, but my point addresses the current state of leadership at the WH, which in my opinion is the worst in terms of relationship and consensus building in recent history. 

Next to the bush that is…. otherwise yes I agree with you 100%.

#41 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,839 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Let's see now?  While Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton are trying to save the world; Shrub is painting pretty pictures....??

L-0-S-E-R......!!

#42 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,215 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Let's see now?  While Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton are trying to save the world; Shrub is painting pretty pictures....??

L-0-S-E-R......!!

He is apparently the only one smart enough to realize that if it couldn't be done during his term in office, it's time to leave it alone.

#43 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

L-0-S-E-R......!!

Staying out of the lime light has been a presidential tradition for many years. I guess you missed where his work with wounded warriors was lightly touched upon.

Both carter and Clinton do wonderfull charity work
But they also can't keep their mouths shut when it comes to the nation's business. So fuck off with attacking GW for showing the same class as the 41 other presidents that understand you do not undermine the office regardless of the letter after the occupants name.

#44 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

I admit to knowing little of what he has done since leaving office, so I did a little reading.  

Co-establishing the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund is a noble endeavor, and keeping a low profile is notable.  Especially, when you can seek publicity for visiting the Fort Hood shooting victims, and you make sure it is kept quiet.

I repeat, I am impressed with the man.

#45 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

I wonder if he feels bad about the thousands of Iraqi civilians who died as a result of the unjustified, unlawful war his government prosecuted to stop Saddam from using WMD that turned out not to exist?  Or the American and Iraqi soldiers who also died?  

Sorry, that is his legacy, no amount do-gooding afterwards can wash that away.

#46 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,847 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

I wonder if he feels bad about the thousands of Iraqi civilians who died as a result of the unjustified, unlawful war his government prosecuted to stop Saddam from using WMD that turned out not to exist?  Or the American and Iraqi soldiers who also died?  

Remember the no fly zone? Saddam slowly committing genocide in the north and south? 

The real mistake was instead of wasting billions trying to nation build in Iraq we should have done away with Khamenei and al-Assad at the same time. 

#47 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Both Carter and Clinton have served as ambassadors to sitting Presidents. I don't know about GHWB but I'm pretty sure none of the other recent Presidents have.

#48 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

Both Carter and Clinton have served as ambassadors to sitting Presidents. I don't know about GHWB but I'm pretty sure none of the other recent Presidents have.

Never heard of that care to support it with a cite including the countries they were appointed to.

#49 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Carter negotiated with Havana. Clinton most recently fetched some hikers from NK. A little reading on your part would help.

#50 Bus Driver

Bus Driver

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,936 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Never heard of that care to support it with a cite including the countries they were appointed to.

I think spelling it with a lower-case "a" would indicate a sort of casual type thing, as opposed to a full-blown appointment.

Probably just as well.  What with the mess over the Senate not confirming anyone.   :)

#51 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

Carter negotiated with Havana. Clinton most recently fetched some hikers from NK. A little reading on your part would help.

LOL

A little reality on your part would be nice.

#52 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

Reality hasn't worked with you so far.

#53 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

You said ambassadors that would mean an actual posting . - not an honorary title to go on a good will mission. I bet you think the key to a city actual opens a lock or a honorary degree from a college of medicine allows you to be a doctor.

You are rapidly becoming irrelevant on this site with this type of logic.

#54 tuk tuk joe

tuk tuk joe

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

You said ambassadors that would mean an actual posting . - not an honorary title to go on a good will mission. I bet you think the key to a city actual opens a lock or a honorary degree from a college of medicine allows you to be a doctor.

Becoming? He’s been irrelevant for as long as I can remember…. :lol:

#55 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

1:  an official envoy; especially :  a diplomatic agent of the highest rank accredited to a foreign government or sovereign as the resident representative of his or her own government or sovereign or appointed for a special and often temporary diplomatic assignment

2 a :  an authorized representative or messenger  b :  an unofficial representative <traveling abroad as ambassadors of goodwill>

So you gonna continue with your own definition, or join the reality where dictionaries tell you what words mean?

#56 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

1:  an official envoy; especially :  a diplomatic agent of the highest rank accredited to a foreign government or sovereign as the resident representative of his or her own government or sovereign or appointed for a special and often temporary diplomatic assignment

2 a :  an authorized representative or messenger  b :  an unofficial representative <traveling abroad as ambassadors of goodwill>

http://www.merriam-w...nary/ambassador

So you gonna continue with your own definition, or join the reality where dictionaries tell you what words mean?
. Oh goody Ben the independent checks in with definitions. Put it on your résumé along with spell checker.

#57 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Is it really possible to determine one's political persuasion by whether or not he cracks open a dictionary?  Really?  

Here's a word to look up:  Victimhood.   

Boo hoo.  Run normal candidates ("I'm not a witch" is not a normal campaign slogan) and stop pandering to voters whose votes you will always have.  

#58 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

http://www.merriam-w...nary/ambassador

. Oh goody Ben the independent checks in with definitions. Put it on your résumé along with spell checker.

Are you seriously suggesting that applying the literal meaning of words reveals me to be leftist?  

Conversely, I don't think that you making up your own meanings of words has anything to do with your ideology.  Just because YOU do it, does not mean those on the right do.  I give them far more credit than that.

YOU can't get dates, quotes, OR definitions correctly.  Let's just leave it at that.

#59 Regatta Dog

Regatta Dog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,606 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

20h3olt.jpg

He should have simply said that he didn't know anything about it until he read about it in the paper.  Problem solved.

#60 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Ben+Sol, should you ever decide to come over to the Left I'd be honored to help out. Your application requires two sponsorship letters and an introduction at the new member dinner. BTW, you are not required to be lesbian, black or poor. Still you do need to indicate on your application whether you would volunteering for the Stop Global Warming or End Genocide Committees.

Should you decide to remain independent, your money is always good at the bar.

#61 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Ben+Sol, should you ever decide to come over to the Left I'd be honored to help out. Your application requires two sponsorship letters and an introduction at the new member dinner. BTW, you are not required to be lesbian, black or poor. Still you do need to indicate on your application whether you would volunteering for the Stop Global Warming or End Genocide Committees.

So my committee choices are Stop Global Warming or End Genocide Now vs. That is So Unfair or That Is A Complete And Utter Outrage committees.  

Tough call.  

#62 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

I've defended Bush, BP,  and have been critical of Obama. 

However, I have said bad things about Bush, and also consult dictionaries.  Those two right there preclude all other positions and make me a far left, liberal, Obamitron socialist.  All that's left is to pick up a couple of bottles of cheap rum to exchange for sponsorship letters and I'm in. 

#63 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

in·de·pend·ent
ˌindəˈpendənt/
adjective
free from outside control; not depending on another's authority.
"the study is totally independent of central government"
synonyms: freethinking, free, individualistic; More
antonyms: orthodox, constrained
(of a country) self-governing.
"India became independent in 1947"
synonyms: self-governing, self-ruling, self-determining, sovereign, autonomous, free, nonaligned More
antonyms: subservient, dependent
not belonging to or supported by a political party.
"the independent candidate"
(of broadcasting, a school, etc.) not supported by public funds.
synonyms: private, private-sector, non-state-run, fee-paying; More
antonyms: public, state-run
not influenced or affected by others; impartial.
"a thorough and independent investigation of the case"
synonyms: impartial, unbiased, unprejudiced, neutral, disinterested, uninvolved, uncommitted, detached, dispassionate, objective, nonpartisan, nondiscriminatory More
antonyms: biased
historical
Congregational.
adjective: Independent
not depending on another for livelihood or subsistence.
"I wanted to remain independent in old age"
synonyms: self-sufficient, self-supporting

Yep deciding what a poster is saying rather than what they wrote is wrong. Sometimes.

#64 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Ben, just so's y'all know, coming from the Left, you+Sol+JMD come off as pretty darned independent and very readable.

TM, deciding what a poster is saying rather than what they wrote is part and parcel of comprehension.

#65 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Ben, just so's y'all know, coming from the Left, you+Sol+JMD come off as pretty darned independent and very readable.
TM, deciding what a poster is saying rather than what they wrote is part and parcel of comprehension.

Is it something on the water? Please explain how calling someone an independent means lefty? Boy I bet that is news to all the fans of happy jack

#66 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Is it something on the water? Please explain how calling someone an independent means lefty? Boy I bet that is news to all the fans of happy jack

Referring to someone continually as an "independent" on this forum is usually sarcasm.  It implies that they are not. 

If you want to pretend you didn't know how that works, then don't post an actual example of it in your post while you are feigning ignorance.  Or maybe you literally were referring to "fans" of Happy Jack?   Who are his "fans"? 

#67 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Referring to someone continually as an "independent" on this forum is usually sarcasm.  It implies that they are not. 

If you want to pretend you didn't know how that works, then don't post an actual example of it in your post while you are feigning ignorance.  Or maybe you literally were referring to "fans" of Happy Jack?   Who are his "fans"? 
. So definitions count sometimes. Got it

My referring to you as an independent has little to do with your political leanings. It has everything to do with your selective attacks.
As an example if I had posted to Olsonist that GHWB Was the US ambassador to the United Nations but have no clue about Clinton or Carter I would expect your selective wit would still have been applied in my direction.

#68 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

That would be more than just unfair.  

#69 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

My referring to you as an independent has little to do with your political leanings. It has everything to do with your selective attacks.
As an example if I had posted to Olsonist that GHWB Was the US ambassador to the United Nations but have no clue about Clinton or Carter I would expect your selective wit would still have been applied in my direction.

Yes. Definitions do indeed cound sometimes.  When it comes to sarcasm, they don't.  When you call someone on a literal definition (like "ambassador", they do.  And I'm glad you finally "got it".  Let me know if I can help in any other areas.  I'm a giver.

As far as my "selective attacks", what you would expect me to do doesn't carry the water.  You've got to stop relying on other people's imagination to make your point.

I once made a statement along the lines of "the first ammendment grants you the right to free speech".  Our resident pitbull of logic, President Eisenhowler, corrected me in that it doesn't "grant" anything, but actually protects a right we already have.  I didn't question his political affiliation, his definition of words,  his selective "attacks", or my expectations of what he would do in other situations.

I humbly admitted my mistake, learned to choose my words carefully, and moved on.   Consider that approach.  Far more constructive than tap dancing, and way less time consuming.

#70 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,215 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

Is it really possible to determine one's political persuasion by whether or not he cracks open a dictionary?  Really?  

Here's a word to look up:  Victimhood.   

Boo hoo.  Run normal candidates ("I'm not a witch" is not a normal campaign slogan) and stop pandering to voters whose votes you will always have.  

Wouldn't it be normal if that was a response to an accusation aimed at you in a campaign?

#71 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

Yes. Definitions do indeed cound sometimes.  When it comes to sarcasm, they don't.  When you call someone on a literal definition (like "ambassador", they do.  And I'm glad you finally "got it".  Let me know if I can help in any other areas.  I'm a giver.

As far as my "selective attacks", what you would expect me to do doesn't carry the water.  You've got to stop relying on other people's imagination to make your point.

I once made a statement along the lines of "the first ammendment grants you the right to free speech".  Our resident pitbull of logic, President Eisenhowler, corrected me in that it doesn't "grant" anything, but actually protects a right we already have.  I didn't question his political affiliation, his definition of words,  his selective "attacks", or my expectations of what he would do in other situations.

I humbly admitted my mistake, learned to choose my words carefully, and moved on.   Consider that approach.  Far more constructive than tap dancing, and way less time consuming.

And THIS, Ben - is why I consider you one of the reasonable participants in this forum, even when we disagree.  

Please, sir - carry on. 

#72 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

That's your opinion I find Ben injecting himself into conversations that do not involve him typical of some on this site who rarely comment on the actual topic instead they inject snide comments in bens case usually directed at those that lean right. I would love to see the context of the post were he humbly admitted he was wrong. Because in my experience he always has to get in the last word.

#73 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:33 AM

If you want to have a private conversation you should send a PM.

#74 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:19 AM

That's your opinion I find Ben injecting himself into conversations that do not involve him typical of some on this site who rarely comment on the actual topic instead they inject snide comments in bens case usually directed at those that lean right. I would love to see the context of the post were he humbly admitted he was wrong. Because in my experience he always has to get in the last word.

TM - I'd humbly suggest you consider his comments w/a slightly broader perspective. That is all. 

#75 dash34

dash34

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts
  • Interests:Sailing my boat, playing bass and classical guitar, flying sailplanes, skiing, cycling and hiking.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

Remember the no fly zone? Saddam slowly committing genocide in the north and south? 

The real mistake was instead of wasting billions trying to nation build in Iraq we should have done away with Khamenei and al-Assad at the same time. 

Just a suggestion.  Next time the president of the US has a vendetta against a dictator, just offer the billions to the people of his country to take care of him. 

If you do the math, each and every Iraqi citizen could have been offered many thousands of dollars to ditch Saddam any way they liked.  

He would have lasted 2, maybe 3 days.   The Iraqi people would be enriched (and maybe could afford to buy something made in the US for a change) and no American soldiers would die.  

Of course, certain US defense and security contractors wouldn't be quite as rich, but maybe that would be ok. 

#76 Spatial Ed

Spatial Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,070 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:45 AM

Bush cannot freely travel the world like Carter and Clinton.  Chances are he'd be nabbed and put on trial in the Haag if he ever went overseas.

#77 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

TM - I'd humbly suggest you consider his comments w/a slightly broader perspective. That is all. 

Fair enough. But like anything else it is a two way street.

#78 Happy Jack

Happy Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,847 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

Just a suggestion.  Next time the president of the US has a vendetta against a dictator, just offer the billions to the people of his country to take care of him. 

If you do the math, each and every Iraqi citizen could have been offered many thousands of dollars to ditch Saddam any way they liked.  

He would have lasted 2, maybe 3 days.   The Iraqi people would be enriched (and maybe could afford to buy something made in the US for a change) and no American soldiers would die.  

Of course, certain US defense and security contractors wouldn't be quite as rich, but maybe that would be ok. 

What does the number 8,891 mean to you? 

As a fellow Canadian and a naturalized citizen of the Unites States of America I am one of the few privileged enough to call both home. I am also blessed that I can not foresee a day when I would have to choose loyalty to one over the other.

8,891 is the length in km of the boarder between these nations. By a large margin it is the longest boarder in the world and along its length there is not a single tank or soldier aimed at the other side. Nor has there been for almost two centuries. In fact Christmas Eve next year will mark the two hundredth anniversary of the treaty of Ghent.

Canada long history of peace and security is a blessing guaranteed in part by those US defense contractors you sneer at. 

There are some six airports remaining whose runways straddle that boarder.  Thousands of shiny new aircraft landed at these airports under American flag by day and left under Canadian colours by night. 

Living in Nanaimo I am confident you've been thorough Douglas crossing and seen the Peace arch inscribed with "Children of a common mother" and  "Brethren dwelling together in unity". A gated arch whose Iron gate bares a plaque with the words "May these gates never be closed".

So forgive me if I'm galled by the rantings of a left wing Canadian against the US trying to peddle the myth that American defense contractors are owned by a cabal of greedy Daddy Warbucks engaged in war profiteering. 

US defense contractors are public corporations largely owned by small private investors and larger pension funds. 

#79 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

I can't think of many Presidents other than Bush with whom I would like to shoot the shut over a beer. Probably Clinton, because it would take place at the Red Garter or some equivalent establishment, swarming with top flight stinky.

#80 Saorsa

Saorsa

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,215 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

That was being tried during the inter-war period with the no-fly zone and Operation Desert Fox which was targeted at Iraqi WMDs.

#81 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

#82 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

If we're goin' that way, I'd like to get Abe Lincoln, Ben Franklin and Bill Cosby together at a card table.  

#83 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

You should add Truman to that table.

#84 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

Interesting you would spend time with the man who got us into Vietnam?

#85 A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

A_guy_in_the_Chesapeake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

You should add Truman to that table.

He could have my seat, and I'd go get drinks for everyone. 

#86 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

Truman? Definitely.

#87 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

Truman? Definitely.
Truman dropped the atomic bomb twice How would you tolerate the man who incinerated so many in radioactive fire

#88 benwynn

benwynn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,019 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

You'd have to figure out a way to prop him up in the cockpit, and he wouldn't be much help at all on the boat.

#89 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

Truman? Definitely.
Truman dropped the atomic bomb twice How would you tolerate the man who incinerated so many in radioactive fire

#90 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

You'd have to figure out a way to prop him up in the cockpit, and he wouldn't be much help at all on the boat.

Groan.  

I've sailed with people who contributed to the effort at that level.  They were perhaps more helpful with the onboard conversation, but not much more.  

I was thinking along the lines of recent (i.e. Alive) past Presidents when I posted the part about knocking back a cold one and shooting the breeze, but if we could bring dead presidents to life for such an event, I would pick either Thomas Jefferson, who had a most interesting mind, or George Washington, to find out how the football team from his University keeps going undefeated year-in, year-out.  

#91 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

Truman? Definitely.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGGR3b8vycY"]http://www.youtube.c...GR3b8vycY[/url][/url]
. Dodge.

#92 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

He was pretty helpful on the PT-109, bad back and all. But that's probably what you were getting at.

#93 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'd sail with Kennedy.

He was pretty helpful on PT-109, bad back and all. But that's probably what you were getting at.
. He was rammed by a jap destroyer. Wouldn't want him driving my boat at a crowded starting line

#94 Olsonist

Olsonist

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

This guy didn't get his PT boat rammed by a Jap destroyer. Why was that?

enlistees-ronald-reagan-sized.jpg

#95 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

Well I would certainly include him in the presidents I wish I could have met in person. Oh that includes JFK and FDR

#96 badlatitude

badlatitude

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,724 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

This guy didn't get his PT boat rammed by a Jap destroyer. Why was that?

enlistees-ronald-reagan-sized.jpg

He was too busy telling stories of being in Europe filming concentration camps. Truth was he never saw Europe Or a concentration camp, unless it was a back lot at Universal.

#97 Spatial Ed

Spatial Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,070 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

I think Nixon would be a fascinating dinner companion.  LBJ too.

#98 TMSAIL

TMSAIL

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,487 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Spices on BBQ potato chips

#99 Spatial Ed

Spatial Ed

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,070 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

LBJ would probably order some awesome BBQ.

#100 Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,645 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

LBJ would probably order some awesome BBQ.

And some new slacks.  Greatest Presidential tape ever.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users