#1 F-18 5150

F-18 5150

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

Iain Murray, who has competed in the America’s Cup three times during his decorated sailing career, has been named the Chief Executive Officer of Team Australia, the Hamilton Island Yacht Club (HIYC) challenge for the 35th America’s Cup.

Bob Oatley, who filed the challenge on behalf of HIYC to become Challenger of Record shortly after ORACLE TEAM USA won the 34th America’s Cup in September, said Murray was the only man for the job.

“Iain knows what it takes to win an America’s Cup, having competed in three Cup’s over the years including Australia’s victorious 1983 win. We’ve had the great pleasure of being able to work closely with him over the last three decades, and have found him to be a consummate professional and also now a dear friend. I have a huge amount of respect for him, and we’re overjoyed to be able to officially announce his appointment as leader of our great challenge.”

“I have long been an avid supporter and ally of Bob Oatley,” Murray said. “When I received the invitation to lead Australia back into the America’s Cup for the first time since 2000 on behalf of their Hamilton Island Yacht Club, there was only ever going to be one answer.”

Murray held the role of Regatta Director for the 34th America’s Cup. Now, he is responsible for building a top Australian team and, as Challenger of Record, for working on the rules of the next event with the defender.

“This is good news for the Australian challenge,” said Russell Coutts, the CEO of ORACLE TEAM USA, the current champion and the defender of the America’s Cup. “In hiring Iain Murray, the Oatleys have a man of great ability and character to lead their team. We look forward to working with Iain and the Oatleys in developing the rules and format for the 35th America’s Cup.”

With over forty-five years of sailing experience, Murray has competed in three America’s Cups (1983, 1987, 1992). He is a champion 18ft Skiff skipper with a record six consecutive world titles under his belt from 1977 to 1982 and has represented Australia in the Olympic Games. He has also been a regular on the Oatley’s Wild Oats for the famed Sydney-Hobart race, racking up six line honors wins as well as the race record.

http://www.americasc...australian-team

#2 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:50 AM

“Iain knows what it takes to win an America’s Cup, having competed in three Cup’s over the years including Australia’s victorious 1983 win. :wub:

#3 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:50 AM

Interesting announcement. Funny how things work out.

Wonder if he'll agree to real-time adjustable rudder winglets.

#4 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:01 AM

Great news for AUS, he's a heavyweight.

It's just so amazing that IM was not knocked out and dead on the mat after all, despite all the hysterical high-pitched calls for his immediate lynching in the NZ press by the fanatically Herbie obsessed, over IM's perfectly reasonable calls for increased safety measures. I hope he has a long memory of who tried so desperately to kill his rep.

#5 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

In the downunder land of mostly Brit, USA, Irish and Asian CEO appointments, this is a nice change. At least the Big Fella will know where to "lead up the foreareas", without detection, in the new class of AC.

#6 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

Great news for AUS, he's a heavyweight.

It's just so amazing that IM was not knocked out and dead on the mat after all, despite all the hysterical high-pitched calls for his immediate lynching in the NZ press by the fanatically Herbie obsessed, over IM's perfectly reasonable calls for increased safety measures. I hope he has a long memory of who tried so desperately to kill his rep.

I'm sure he has a long memory, as do a few others - especially if he reads SA :)

#7 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

^ yep, it's unlikely IM will ever forget all that character-assassination crap. am still unsure from where it originated but by some of the leaks out of ETNZ am guessing their hit man all along was Russell Green. That's the first ugly guy needing to be buried in the back yard and IM should write that into the new Prot.

#8 Terrafirma

Terrafirma

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:28 AM

I hope with Big Fella on board that Fresh (Ian Burns) signs up as well, he was performance co-ordinator for Oracle as well. They would also want Grant Simmer and then build the team around those types of guys. Still fascinated that Slingsby signed on with Oracle so quickly and not Jimmy. Also interested and I assume Russell will stay on due to his relationship and money factor via Larry. Ben is hoping for his own gig I believe with an English/European team.

#9 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

^ yep, it's unlikely IM will ever forget all that character-assassination crap. am still unsure from where it originated but by some of the leaks out of ETNZ am guessing their hit man all along was Russell Green. That's the first ugly guy needing to be buried in the back yard and IM should write that into the new Prot.

Don't recall his involvement - who is he and when did he enter the picture ?

#10 GybeSetŪ

GybeSetŪ

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,188 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

get big Fella to talk to Slingsby NOW!

#11 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:08 AM

^^ I think Green is who was their rules guy, and who illegally leaked NDA'd info to the press and others, including the photos of the king posts while the IJ case was still being decided. Herbie Lester went to town with it, him and others exaggerating the case on national TV as being The Biggest Cheating Scandal In All Of The History Of The Universe - crap that ultimately got picked up by media as far as the NYT. And that may have influenced the IJ, which would have been Green's intent for the leakings. Indio was privy to whatever that email list was; and suggested even more extreme charges, steroids use by JS, RC already fired, LE going no farther in the AC, bribery of IM by GGYC, you name it. Krispy (with obvious financial self-interest in ETNZ) started a thread about supposedly automated, and therefore illegal foil controls by OTUSA, well before ETNZ even tried their last-night desperate IJ challenge. There was a truckload of horseshit making the rounds even before the 'Herbie' opium hit the street. Crazy! Most all of it just manufactured bullshit fed to a gullible, pitchfork-wielding audience

#12 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

From my recollection the kiwis were accountable for almost all if not all the leaks in AC33, from kiwi jon and his google search engine on steroids on to the two race penalty before it was officially announced. Apparently they just can't help themselves from being "leaky'. Couple that with the "tabloid" NZ media that will publish anything and everything and it comes down to a cultural issue.

Must be a cultural thing about how they were raised early on in school that TK can easily explain (again) as the resident expert in hiding.

I'd expect they could put some sharp teeth in the protocol to stem that behavior.

#13 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts
  • Interests:Shattering illusions

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

Slingsby recognised right from the get-go that the Aus challenge will fall flat on its face first time round. Waaaay too much "old school" AC in the program and adding Lard to the mix would just serve to confirm his views.

#14 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

Slingsby recognised right from the get-go that the Aus challenge will fall flat on its face first time round. Waaaay too much "old school" AC in the program and adding Lard to the mix would just serve to confirm his views.
WTF- Lard is too Old school AC? He was just farking race director of the last one. I think he may have a rough idea what is going on.
Great appointment IMHO.

#15 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

For someone who claims to know it all, you're remarkably uninformed about ETNZ's Rules Advisor.  You know.  The guy who was upheld virtually all the time before the IJ.

#16 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

For someone who claims to know it all, you're remarkably uninformed about ETNZ's Rules Advisor.  You know.  The guy who was upheld virtually all the time before the IJ.

Yup, rules advisors don't really interest me, I'm more into the sailing aspect of a sailing event then the political crap that comes with it. Hopefully RC will fix that.

Sorry if this disappoints you (not really)  :) 

#17 KiwiJoker

KiwiJoker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

Good to see Iain Murray in the driver's seat for the HIYC challenge. The right guy for the job. Now let's see how many other Ozzers come home to roost. They're a distinguished bunch. Potential for very strong challenge.

#18 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

Three more departments to staff and funds to pull together, but they have time to do so. If they work quickly they could be in good shape for a 2017 event, 2016 might be a scramble.

I'm more interested in the working relationship with GGYC/OR. Some here think it needs to be adversarial/confrontational and if it is not the CoR is not doing their job.I don't believe this needs to be the case unless dealing with the likes of EB. Not too many sane people can argue the 34th protocol was not fair.

Maybe they'll have another charity dinner that will be anything but the political ambush that took place in Auckland.

#19 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

WTF- Lard is too Old school AC? He was just farking race director of the last one. I think he may have a rough idea what is going on.
Great appointment IMHO.

PRO and CEO are vastly different roles and this is a vastly changed game from when he last competed. Another Oatley sycophant - lucrative jobs for the boyz??

#20 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Great appointment IMHO.
PRO and CEO are vastly different roles and this is a vastly changed game from when he last competed. Another Oatley sycophant - lucrative jobs for the boyz??
He wasn't PRO he was race director.

#21 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

Great appointment IMHO.
He wasn't PRO he was race director.

I stand corrected but same applies; that's a long, long way away from CEO for a first time challenger in the modern AC era. The HIYC Challenge needs old Bob's money but lots of fresh blood from the ground up. The good ole boys of the Brookvale Mafia ain't good enough anymore to take this prize. 

#22 Xlot

Xlot

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Well, expect to see really huge rudder elevators in the AC35 Rule :D

#23 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

Funny! :D

Good piece at Yachting World
http://www.yachtingw...-s-cup-team-ceo

#24 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Congrats to IM. Seems to be the perfect choice.

And let's not re-live the horse shit character assassination of IM that a good number of people on here gladly took part. Absolutely sad moment for the ACA community.

WetHog

#25 sam75

sam75

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

^ Agreed. I hope the team assassination stops also. It seems that some posters use ever thread to take a dig at ETNZ.

#26 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

At the end of their press conference in the early-days the Oatleys were asked if they'd spoken to IM yet and Bob was pretty quick to respond "He gets back home from SF tomorrow morning."  It was near the end of this video but the whole thing was pretty good.

Something I'd missed on the first watch was how strong the consideration apparently already was, for going to a boat in between the 45 and the 72, one that would more 'more transportable' as Sandy O put it, presumably with the idea to use that boat around the world in an ACWS style series.

#27 valenciasailing

valenciasailing

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Any idea who will lead ACRM now?

#28 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

^ I'm just wild-guessing someone who is already ACRM experienced, maybe Mike Martin or John Craig. Harold Bennett?

Big shoes to fill, it's a good question.

Edit: topping my list would be Ken Read, Stan Honey, Simmers could be a good fit, maybe take another look at OC's Mark Turner although he's more an 'EA' type guy

#29 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

Was he responsible for the final equipment challenge to OTUSA's feedback loop? Then fail! Filed too late, and likely to be struck down regardless. Did he have a say in whether the loop was legal, or should have been pursued by ETNZ engineers? If so, fail!

Seems there was no one who was 100%, in front of the jury...or in rule "interpretation".

#30 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

^^ I think Green is who was their rules guy, and who illegally leaked NDA'd info to the press and others, including the photos of the king posts while the IJ case was still being decided. Herbie Lester went to town with it, him and others exaggerating the case on national TV as being The Biggest Cheating Scandal In All Of The History Of The Universe - crap that ultimately got picked up by media as far as the NYT. And that may have influenced the IJ, which would have been Green's intent for the leakings. Indio was privy to whatever that email list was; and suggested even more extreme charges, steroids use by JS, RC already fired, LE going no farther in the AC, bribery of IM by GGYC, you name it. Krispy (with obvious financial self-interest in ETNZ) started a thread about supposedly automated, and therefore illegal foil controls by OTUSA, well before ETNZ even tried their last-night desperate IJ challenge. There was a truckload of horseshit making the rounds even before the 'Herbie' opium hit the street. Crazy! Most all of it just manufactured bullshit fed to a gullible, pitchfork-wielding audience

I don't think you came out of that unscathed!

Good to see that you have survived, thought you were going to blow a ventricle at several points!

#31 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

^ Yes, got too wordy there.. My real point is that it would be interesting to hear reaction now, from all the factions who took IM on as being the ultimate antichrist.. IM is now in position to either listen to other Challs' viewpoints - or not..

#32 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

^ Yes, got too wordy there.. My real point is that it would be interesting to hear reaction now, from all the factions who took IM on as being the ultimate antichrist.. IM is now in position to either listen to other Challs' viewpoints - or not..

Overstepping was probably IM's best move. His limit of influence was defined by the IJ, and he was (i believe) left out of the litigation.

As the regatta began, and went on the pendulum swung in otusa's direction on more than one front.

If otusa had lost, would the ausie challenge have surfaced?

We will never know, but the cor would have been a different syndicate.

As IM probably had the cor in his "back pocket", if you get my drift.

#33 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Was he responsible for the final equipment challenge to OTUSA's feedback loop? Then fail! Filed too late, and likely to be struck down regardless. Did he have a say in whether the loop was legal, or should have been pursued by ETNZ engineers? If so, fail!

Seems there was no one who was 100%, in front of the jury...or in rule "interpretation".

Apparently I'm not the only one that doesn't know it all, but then again I'm not a rules adviser for an AC team :) .

As a rules adviser he had to look pretty stupid for filing too late. Wasn't their another early on protest disallowed because it was filed outside the time limit as well ?

#34 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

As a rules adviser he had to look pretty stupid for filing too late. Wasn't their another early on protest disallowed because it was filed outside the time limit as well ?

The bigger mistake was to make the (incorrect) argument that it was not a path to send the etnz engineers down.

#35 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

I blame Green for Ruddergate and believe GD received bad advice on that front. It was very destructive, also got personal, and nobody won. ETNZ should have supported IM.

#36 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

The bigger mistake was to make the (incorrect) argument that it was not a path to send the etnz engineers down.

That's probably a shared credit with the brains of the operation, Nick and grumpy.

#37 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

That's probably a shared credit with the brains of the operation, Nick and grumpy. (sws)

I dunno, the lackadaisical attitude of the protest shows, possibly, a rift in management.

As in:

"they have been developing a feedback loop? Oh ****"

"let's get going on this"

"Is it legal?"

"is it possible for us to develop?"

"we were working on that a year ago, but put that team on aero"

"we are beating their lap times, and they need a loop to get over the hump"

"stop them!"

"but it may be legal..."

"we can litigate, and develop"

"the litigation has gone well so far..."

"aero has come up with some vortex directors they want put on the rear beam"

"christ, how much time do they need to install them?"

"is there time to build a feedback loop?"

"is it legal?"

"what should i tell the aero, and boatbuilders?"

"Well, we will go with the litigation, and the vds"

"roger, dalts."

#38 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,007 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

^ I'm just wild-guessing someone who is already ACRM experienced, maybe Mike Martin or John Craig. Harold Bennett?

Big shoes to fill, it's a good question.

Edit: topping my list would be Ken Read, Stan Honey, Simmers could be a good fit, maybe take another look at OC's Mark Turner although he's more an 'EA' type guy

Turner was offered the job before Murray and turned it down.

#39 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

In that case (he's the only one who ever suggested it, but yes it is possible) then he'd turn it down again so we may as well scratch him off the list.

I wonder what Hogara from AC32's ACA is up to these days? Scratch that, he's more an EA than an RM type too.

I give!

#40 HHN92

HHN92

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie & Chevrolets, History,1970 Chevelle SS

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

I could see HB in the job. He replied to me once about 'getting right back into it' when he accepted his position for AC34. He may have a soft spot for the AC.

#41 Paps

Paps

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,971 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Iain knows what it takes to win an America’s Cup, having competed in three Cup’s over the years including Australia’s victorious 1983 win

News to me!!

#42 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

What?!!! They didn't hire Cayard?

Just joking. Good for IM, he's the right man for the job. And, he should have some inside info on Oracle's inside magic.

Great choice.

#43 Donjoman

Donjoman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

Correct, he competed on advance!

#44 brian weslake

brian weslake

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:44 AM

Iain knows what it takes to win an America’s Cup, having competed in three Cup’s over the years including Australia’s victorious 1983 win

News to me!!

Sorry, it should say "Iain knows what it takes to win an America's Cup, having lost it once (1987). Other than that, he has never actually competed in an AC final."

#45 facthunt

facthunt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:28 AM

probably learned a thing or two from allan bond as well.

#46 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,007 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:40 AM

In that case (he's the only one who ever suggested it, but yes it is possible) then he'd turn it down again so we may as well scratch him off the list.

I wonder what Hogara from AC32's ACA is up to these days? Scratch that, he's more an EA than an RM type too.

I give!

Read has a more important job, Stan would NEVER take that one, not his cup of tea.  Far too controversy-averse. 

Quite frankly, anyone who takes the job knows it will be a fucking miserable one, knows it added about a decade to Iain Murray's age in a year, and knows that you are pretty much guaranteed to fuck up somehow for a lot of reasons, and possibly end up in court or otherwise fucked!  In other words, they're going to have to pick one of the great 'majors' regatta directors, and pay him really, really well.  There are about 5 of them in the world.

Harold, Luigi, Dave T, Dave C-J...basically you have to have Cup and Olympic experience to deal with all the issues.  If I were Coutts I'd probably go straight to Luigi and offer him and Anderson (his son) jobs as Regatta Director and Sailing Director or whatever title, and pay them whatever it takes them to pull them out of their many other commitments.

#47 ~HHN92~

~HHN92~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

^^ With a lot of measures already covered from 34 wouldn't running 35 be somewhat less of a headache? Not easy by a long shot but many of the 'aging' items have already been hashed-out?

Bennett knows the worst of it (33 & 34) but would that keep him from coming back?

#48 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:38 AM

DT could always put the band back together....

#49 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:42 AM

^^ With a lot of measures already covered from 34 wouldn't running 35 be somewhat less of a headache? Not easy by a long shot but many of the 'aging' items have already been hashed-out?

Bennett knows the worst of it (33 & 34) but would that keep him from coming back?

We need to get rid of ALL the foreigners that are part of running the event.  All of them, every single one.  

It is also one of those blood is thicker than water things.  At the end of the day, Bennett is a kiwi.  If RNZYS is in the AC, he'd have a ton of pressure on him to do things in favor of the Kiwi's.

There is plenty of US based talent for every position inside the event and race authority.

#50 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:46 AM

Don't think so - he is certainly capable and did not hesitate to stand up to SNG's political BS in AC33. His skin is thick enough.

#51 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:05 AM

We need to get rid of ALL the foreigners that are part of running the event.  All of them, every single one.  

It is also one of those blood is thicker than water things.  At the end of the day, Bennett is a kiwi.  If RNZYS is in the AC, he'd have a ton of pressure on him to do things in favor of the Kiwi's.

There is plenty of US based talent for every position inside the event and race authority.

It was foreigners that won you the bloody thing.

What an asinine post.

#52 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

What an asinine post.

No, there is a big difference between the people on the boat, and the people running the show.

There is no reason to import talent to run the event.  That's my point.

#53 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:01 PM

What an asinine post.

No, there is a big difference between the people on the boat, and the people running the show.

Exactly and the reason why Artemis chose an American to run their show.

#54 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

What an asinine post.

Yet another lame analogy from a pathetic kiwi that hides behind a screen name.

Artemis was a racing team.  They were not running the event.

And it seems that your team hired an American designer, who was the first to figure out how to beat the rule on foiling.  So what happened with the rest of the leadership needed to win the Cup, mate?

#55 bluesea

bluesea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:The Ocean

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

What an asinine post.

True, Larry used them for his own purposes, but in fact they won it for themselves not the flag. 

#56 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

What an asinine post.

Yet another lame analogy from a pathetic kiwi that hides behind a screen name.

Artemis was a racing team.  They were not running the event.

And it seems that your team hired an American designer, who was the first to figure out how to beat the rule on foiling.  So what happened with the rest of the leadership needed to win the Cup, mate?

Dunnooo as us greater Westlanders did not enter, only the long cloud shakey islers were granted cash to play!

#57 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,007 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Exactly.  Boot Coutts! (and be prepared to travel for AC36)

#58 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

What an asinine post.

True, Larry used them for his own purposes, but in fact they won it for themselves not the flag. 

JS has already said differently, several times.

#59 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Exactly.  Boot Coutts! (and be prepared to travel for AC36)

One of the many bridges that you've burned.

#60 nav

nav

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

If you want to ensure the foreigner running the show remains loyal you could just guarantee the COR role (in the event of a fortuitous home win) to the YC of which they happen to be Commodore and which is owned by an old friend who just happens to want the Commodore to head their challenge - sweet!

Just a wild idea...no one would ever actually try anything so obvious   :D

#61 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

What an asinine post.

Seems your point is you want it to go back to the days of the good old boys like the NYYC.

Pretty sure the rest of world aint going to let that happen, arsehat.

#62 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

What an asinine post.

Seems your point is you want it to go back to the days of the good old boys like the NYYC.

Pretty sure the rest of world aint going to let that happen, arsehat.

When I'm talking about running the event, I'm talking about lawyers, marketing, tv, sales people and the like.

NYYC never really had any of that.

An international Jury to decide sailing related matters?  Sure.  Seemed to work out just fine this time.

BTW....when will the Aussie and Kiwi MNA's rule on the cheaters in the ACWS.  Why the silence on the fate of those who cheated?  A cover up perhaps?

How many American's were caught cheating in the ACWS?  Oh yeah....ZERO.

#63 DtM

DtM

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Not sure that the Aussies have to do anything. Kyle wasn't reported to YA.

Was there another Aussie?

#64 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

Not sure that the Aussies have to do anything. Kyle wasn't reported to YA.

Was there another Aussie?

Yeah, there's this...but it seems he walks. From Herbie Gladwell....  I guess if you plead guilty you can walk.  Sort of like climbing aboard a camera boat and punching out someone.

Others involved are members of the OTUSA shore-crew. Bryce Ruthenberg is excluded from further participation in any way in AC34 and will be reported to the Yachting Australia and ISAF with the recommendation that no further penalties are imposed because of his full, frank and early admissions.

#65 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

Well it is certain that no US Olympic gold medalist will do that. There aren't any.

#66 SIR CLEAN

SIR CLEAN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Interests:Integrity.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

Well it is certain that no US Olympic gold medalist will do that. There aren't any.

wrong... again "No Dicks" ;-)

http://en.wikipedia....inners#Sailing.

... scroll down to Skeet, and other medalists.

How was the 2nd banning in  2 weeks?... how many enemies have you got now?...

...don,t bother responding i have you back on Ignore!.

i just checked in to see if you were still around haviung not seen any "ignore" messages in the threads.

#67 PeterHuston

PeterHuston

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:18 AM

Bullshit you asshole.

There are plenty of gold medalists from the US.

Go fuck yourself.

#68 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

Maybe the Yanks like to live in the past with Olympic Glory, bring back Nixon & erase the trolling downundus from the interwebs!

#69 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:23 AM

LOL.

#70 SIR CLEAN

SIR CLEAN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:07 AM

Maybe the Yanks like to live in the past with Olympic Glory, bring back Nixon & erase the trolling downundus from the interwebs!

they still have more sailing medals than any Southern hemisphere cuntry

#71 SIR CLEAN

SIR CLEAN

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:08 AM

Bullshit you asshole.

Go fuck yourself.

ignore the "waste of bad skin"... all he does is bag people and get banned. (3rd time in 4 weeks)

#72 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:25 AM

Well the present isn't too bad with the AC, all things considered :)

#73 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:33 AM

Temper temper there two dicks. As you well know we both only got a week each. Well you may have got more I don't know nor care. I got a week for outing you and wreaking your little fantasy about not being a disgruntled, demented kiwi and you got a week for outing me and being a boring, repetitive, cocksucking, douche canoeing fucktard.
But have a good Xmas mate.
Play nice two dicks - remember you got punted completely as fibre arse for being a tool.

#74 Life Buoy 15

Life Buoy 15

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:39 AM

Bullshit you asshole.
Go fuck yourself.

How does one fuck one self petey?

#75 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,722 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:43 AM

Bullshit you asshole.

Go fuck yourself.

First, let me tell you how I love your usual class PH. :D

In the last decade there was one.

http://en.wikipedia....ists_in_sailing

#76 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

Bullshit you asshole.

Go fuck yourself.

How many French their Frenchy, or should it be froggie ?

#77 Tornado-Cat

Tornado-Cat

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,722 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:01 AM

Bullshit you asshole.

Go fuck yourself.

As well

http://www.liveleak....=6b7_1324492674 :D

#78 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

Bullshit you asshole.

Go fuck yourself.

http://www.liveleak....=6b7_1324492674 :D

Froggie it is then :)

#79 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:58 AM

Bullshit you asshole.

Go fuck yourself.

I count 5.  3 women and 2 men.  In 3 events.  How about Anna T?

#80 The Advocate

The Advocate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

I count 2 gold in the last decade.

You count the event, not the number in the team.

#81 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

Getting a bit senile old man ? What has your statement got to do with Olympic Glory?

#82 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

Sorry, I counted quickly and wrong.  My Bad.  But people manage organizations, not boats...

#83 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

http://www.theaustra...-1226780146839#

America's Cup challenger to build young team

AUSTRALIA'S new America's Cup challenge will stay out of the bidding war for the leading Australian proponents of the most recent foreign Cup campaigns and will build a new young team from scratch, according to Team Australia chief executive Iain Murray.

Murray, appointed last month to lead the Oatley family's challenge, is confident that Australia has enough elite sailing talent to go around, despite the loss of key figures to foreign America's Cup teams already.

Olympic gold medallist Tom Slingsby has re-signed with Oracle Team USA after serving as strategist for its winning campaign this year, while fellow Olympic medallist Glenn Ashby has committed to Team New Zealand, and Murray rated the chances of luring Australia's winning skipper Jimmy Spithill away from Oracle as "slim".

But he noted that Spithill was 19 when he made his America's Cup debut and therefore the next such talent was "a kid of 15" at the moment.

"We are going to let a lot of that go past us," he said of the rush to sign America's Cup stars. "There's a lot of kids who haven't had that opportunity that we want to give that opportunity to. With the right coaching we think they can do just as good a job."

The most successful one is on Wild Oats today (Olympic 470 gold medallist Mat Belcher sailed on the Sydney-Hobart favourite in yesterday's Big Boat Challenge).

Murray, a former America's Cup skipper and 2008 Olympian, expects the highly successful Australian Olympic sailing team to figure prominently in the final crew that will represent the Hamilton Island Yacht Club.

In that light Belcher's presence on Wild Oats yesterday looks like the first stage of wooing him to the Team Australia America's Cup campaign once his Rio Olympic defence is over in 2016.

Belcher is the current world sailor of the year and has an extraordinary streak of 18 consecutive wins in the 470 dinghy class. He said he would be "pretty keen" to talk to the Oatleys about a role as long as it did not conflict with his Olympic campaign.

Murray also has his eye on other Australians with high-performance sailing experience, including his Gotta Love It 18-foot skiff crew which has skipper Seve Jarvin, former world moth champion Scott Babbage, who would bring extensive foiling experience, and Oracle grinder Sam Newton.

The head coach of Sweden's Artemis challenge, Andrew Palfrey, would be another good bet considering he crewed for Murray at the 2008 Olympics.

Murray also mentioned David Gilmour, the 22-year-old son of former America's Cup skipper Peter, and Oracle coach/helmsman Darren Bundock, a multihull specialist who has won two Olympic silver medals and is returning to the Olympic fold to campaign a Nacra 17 catamaran for Rio.

Bundock said recently that he was attracted to a home-based America's Cup challenge after spending two years in San Francisco with the American team.

Gilmour is establishing a reputation as a match-racer and finished second in the 49er skiff category, behind Olympic gold medallists Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen at last week's Sail Melbourne World Cup regatta.

He expects the team will begin to take shape over the next month with the ambition of campaigning an AC45 catamaran (the smaller version of the AC72s which battled for the Cup this year) from January to begin preparations.

As the challenger of record, Hamilton Island Yacht Club is negotiating with the defending Golden Gate Yacht Club to establish the next competition rules. Murray expects they will be finalised in March.

The Oatleys, Bob and son Sandy, want to make an America's Cup campaign more affordable for more countries by using smaller hi-tech catamarans than the AC72 with more one-design features to reduce costs.

#84 WetHog

WetHog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,414 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Just read this tweet from Mathew Sheahan.

@matthewsheahan: Australia to stay out of biding war and build young #americascup team from scratch according to Iain Murray http://t.co/bAfCl7bqBV

IM building a young Aussie team that could be in it for more than 1 AC cycle. I hope it works out.

WetHog

#85 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

The other point in that release is virtual confirmation of the AC45 being involved, contrary to some chat in other threads.

#86 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Getting a bit senile old man ? What has your statement got to do with Olympic Glory?

Just enjoying the greatest comeback in sports history son, hope you don't mind :)

Or would you rather get a lecture on healthcare or Chinese culture ?

#87 nroose

nroose

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think it is a good move to have young sailors.  OR was about 10 years younger on average, and seemed to me to clearly be able to handle the physical part better.  There's a reason why the most athletic sports like swimming, wrestling, sprinting have athletes who peak in their 20s.  And the cost and future team building are a bonus.

#88 floater

floater

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

@matthewsheahan: Australia to stay out of biding war and build young #americascup team from scratch according to Iain Murray http://t.co/bAfCl7bqBV

IM building a young Aussie team that could be in it for more than 1 AC cycle. I hope it works out.

WetHog

would seem a very healthy sign. Last time we had a young Australia team - nobody was shouting: "We need to save the cup"!

#89 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

WetHog

would seem a very healthy sign. Last time we had a young Australia team - nobody was shouting: "We need to save the cup"!

Syd`s Young Australia Team got a reasonable amount of publicity in the day. It will be interesting to watch these young guns evolve. A great mix of dicipline and hunger to win, seems to be a common factor of getting a jersey, it seems.

#90 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

WetHog

Where is tekootie hiding with all his Facebook vs Flintstone criticism that went on for months and months ? Seems RC got that right as well.

#91 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

Being a thread about the tiny Nor East island Sailing club of Greater Westland, i cannot imagine any kiwi interest.

#92 SW Sailor

SW Sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

That never stopped the master of thread drift in the past.

#93 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Well, as much fun as it may be to just slag away, it is nice to have some real gnus.
1. US olympic sailing is not in a good state at present, it may change with the new management but after watching USSailing failing for the past 20 years and no real change in the top ranks, may be not.
2. I was sick yesterday and took the occasion to watch the Laser medal race, even though (like Scheidt) I think they suck. And it was interesting. I am currently on my second Laser even though I do not like the boat very much, but they are good racing as they distill the sport down to its essences. And those were on display in that vid, recommend it. You do learn how to make a slow boat go fast, boathandling, develop tactical and situational awareness, rules knowledge, and physical and mental toughness, all good things.
3. What you do not get is learning how to rig and tune, much less how set up a program and develop speed in all conditions. To do that you need to sail high performance boats, and yes, 470s and 505s still qualify in my book.

So interesting that young Gilmour is foraying into 49ers successfully, and that the much reviled IM (personally I would enjoy seeing him upstage his critics mightily) is making some pretty common sense, no nonsense, stick to your knitting, and build through recruiting team development. Something he has alreAdy had a pretty good track record with in 18s. Watch Jarvin and Co. would be my advice.

#94 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

The COR's challenge was never going to be another Alinghi 2003 result. Even Oatley's pockets aren't deep enough. 

IM has little choice but to go with another challenge with young up-and-coming Aussie sailors. And there is no shortage of those, fortunately.

That's a good thing. But the question is, how 'obsessed' with the AC are the Oatley's and are they more than a one-shot wonder?

#95 jonsailor

jonsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, design, hot babes

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Saw My oatly on TV yesterday from big boat challenge. Shit I hope he is still around for the AC. The poor old bugger is pushing the miles and looks a bit more frail than normal??

Certainly has put his money forward in the yachting industry but we all get older as the years pass by!!

#96 bluesea

bluesea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:The Ocean

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

What an asinine post.

JS has already said differently, several times.

Of course he would say that. 

#97 ~Stingray~

~Stingray~

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

The Wind in Oatley's Sails
http://www.mudgeegua...ys-sails/?cs=12

#98 Flatbag

Flatbag

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,872 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

Wonder how the Oatleys are feeling about their AST sponsorship now that Slingsby, Nathan & Goobs have all stayed put with their AC34 teams (& Gashby has announced he is staying with ETNZ)

TA is definitely starting from scratch with (relatively) shallow pockets for the AC Game and those financially astute sailors know it.

This presents great opportunities to learn the game for the newbies they will have to run with but after one go-round, which they will not win, those guys won't be newbies anymore and will stand in line to join the gravy train to the Big Buck$ with the other longer established syndicates.

#99 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

Wonder how the Oatleys are feeling about their AST sponsorship now that Slingsby, Nathan & Goobs have all stayed put with their AC34 teams (& Gashby has announced he is staying with ETNZ)

TA is definitely starting from scratch with (relatively) shallow pockets for the AC Game and those financially astute sailors know it.

This presents great opportunities to learn the game for the newbies they will have to run with but after one go-round, which they will not win, those guys won't be newbies anymore and will stand in line to join the gravy train to the Big Buck$ with the other longer established syndicates.

It's a tough game alright.

#100 aldo

aldo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Finding spoog for my face.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

If it were easy, they would call it a popsicle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users