• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#1 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

A Bright Future for the i550
Watershed Sailboats and Velocity BoatWorks are excited to announce that the i550 will be produced in fiberglass by Velocity BoatWorks in Belleville, Ontario, Canada. Work will begin on the moulds soon and we anticipate a Spring 2014 launch for the first boats. Velocity is owned by Geoff Martin, an experienced FRP manufacturer.
The production version will be built to the i550 design shape, weight, draft, rig geometry, rocker and chine measurements. We will work with home builders to make certain that both the Woodies and the FRP i550's are able to compete on a fair basis. New Woodies, built to the plans, will always be a staple of any future i550 fleets. Ultimately, a Factory Class Association will be chosen from amongst contenders who wish to apply. All past and present homebuilt i550's will be given a liberal rule's interpretation if the boat was built to the intention of the plan set.,
The first production FRP i550 will be the A-4 configuration, which is the short cabin wide cockpit version. If the interest is there, the A-6 deck will be added. See the different versions on the About Page at Watershed's site http://www.i550sportboat.com/ .
 Special thanks goes out to Sailing Anarchy for their support of the i550. From the first Front Page exposure in 1997, the boat has fired the imagination of many "a" builder & sailor. The i550 gets mentioned elsewhere but SA is the site where it has blossomed and found fertile ground. Sailing Anarchy launched the i550 to viral explosion worldwide.
Watershed Sailboats has recognized the need for a production i550 since it became the design owner in January 2008. This is a natural step for us to build the fleet. Many people do not have the time, space for construction, or confidence in their skills to undertake building an i550. Our respect for those individuals and groups who have built i550's, some as a first time project, is tremendous. These men and women have made and are making some remarkably beautiful boats. There are tons of resources from i550class.org, blogs and other forums for home builders and sailors. This i550 community is one of connection and assistance to anyone willing to take on the building and the sailing of the i550. Pockets of fleets range from locales such as Tasmania, Croatia, Russia, South America, Europe, Asia, South Africa and on & on. We are currently at hull license 529.
The intention of the Watershed-Velocity collaboration is to provide affordable, rewarding boats which are simple and durable, responsive and rewarding. We hope it attracts the attention of Clubs and sailing organizations searching for a way to retain members of all ages and the replacements of outdated fleets.
Velocity will offer keels and rudders, masts and more for home builders as production tooling progresses.
Watershed will always continue to offer plan sets & hull licenses, full size patterns and kit sets for the home builder. Like many designs before, the i550 will offer the choice of wood versus plastic.
Velocity currently has its website under construction. FRP prices will be announced in the near future.
In the meantime, you can reach Geoff in Ontario at geoff@velocityboatworks.com
You can also always get in touch for more info from Watershed as listed below.
In the meantime, you can reach Geoff in Ontario at http://www.geoff@velocityboatworks.com

Tim Reiter & Susan James

Watershed Sailboats

http://www.i550sportboat.com/

#2 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Outstanding!  congrats to the 'Shed and Velocity.

#3 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:i550 SportBoat & VELOCITY 7.1 Sailing. Building. Finish carpenter by trade cabinet maker. Built boats in the past.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Tim and Susan,
This is great news for us both.
I'm looking towards a bright future with you both, and growing the i550 even further.
I have already started to recieve enquiries, regarding build time, payment structure and other items.
I'm very excited to get working on the moulds for the i550.
I welcome all past, present and future i550 owners and builders.
I feel I am in very good company with all the people, that have taken an interest in this boat world wide.
Thank you.

Geoff.
Geoff@velocityboatworks.com

#4 B.M.B_Racing

B.M.B_Racing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:summer and racing

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

congratulations, on the new venture that WaterShed and Velliocity Boatworks are taking.

#5 schoonerman

schoonerman

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:sailing, sex and success...not necessarily in order

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

That's awesome...congrats! Nice to see another small sporty in production.

#6 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:i550 SportBoat & VELOCITY 7.1 Sailing. Building. Finish carpenter by trade cabinet maker. Built boats in the past.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

Thanks very much Tim Ford, BMB Racing and Schoonerman.

#7 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

This is great and I am glad that it is finally out in the open.  I have talked with Geoff and I believe he is the guy to make this work.  The intial choice of "versions"  - the short cabin, long, wide cockpit - is a great one as well.  Perhaps for more pure racing the flush cabin is believed to be a bit better, but I suspect no real difference in the end in what it takes to cross the finish line first. We have seen here on SA that small sporty boats seem to be cropping up in other parts of the world and the idea of a modern Siren comes to my mind; once sold quite a few of them.  Congrats to Geoff, Tim and Susan.  I am looking forward to seeing that website up and running and the final specs and pricing.

#8 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

Thanks Joe,

I believe that this is one awesome little boat. The enquiries are still coming in, and I'm just finalizing the pricing. I want to make this very affordable and also put out a very good looking, dependable and durable product. I'm only going to position myself with the best people and companies in the business to get this done. I can't wait to go from an empty shop space to the sound of water on a hull. It's going to be a very interesting and fun ride.

Cheers
Geoff.

Velocity BoatWorks.

#9 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Interests:970-507-0428. Recognized Owner of the i550 design and main hawker of all things i550, Owner of Watershed Sailboats with Susan, my wife. Challenging Woodworking (the regular stuff is boring).

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

I received a question about making a boat with a very light core construction.

No we will not do that. Never. It violates the idea of fair and even sailing within the i550 group. As stated in the first post, the boat will be built to the 800 pound weight and with similar panel mass as all the woodies.

#10 fdsailor

fdsailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

Probably best to go with similar (or only slightly thicker) panel thickness too, as if you start going much thicker then the boats will be stiffer than the wooden ones, if you are using foam and e-glass that is. Means you will have a fairly beefy amount of 'glass but that's not a bad thing with small boats, which otherwise might be a bit dent-prone.

You might even get away with something like CoreMat XM  or Soric for the core, a lot cheaper than foam and you could probably go with 4 mm core. Soaks up more resin though, but still a lot less than solid glass. It's easier to get around curves than foam, so saves time and will help you get the boat out at a reasonable price point. You can infuse with it too, see

Of course I may just be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here...!

#11 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

Of course I may just be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here...!

...actually,,,for the objectives involved,,,your suggestion isn't bad at all!

.......it would cover the weight,and panel stiffness questions nicely,,and keep the costs down ,,which would seem essential if this initiative is going to succeed.

..........and grannies can be pretty open minded too!! :D

#12 armac

armac

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:catching that wave...

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

This is great news.

Before I got entangled in my current project I was quite interested in the I550. Ultimately it was the lack of a one design rig and foil set that put me off. Hope you can get that done too.

Good luck!

#13 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the input fdsailor. We already have a complete layup schedule, which will work well for the i550.
So from this point moving forward, are there things that people would like to see included on this boat.

Thanks
Geoff.
Velocity BoatWorks.

#14 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

wet bar! jacuzzi!

#15 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

...what's a sportboat without cup holders!? :mellow:

#16 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

Wet bar and jacuzzi are a short dip over the side. Just keep your beverage in hand. Just keep a safe distance from the prop of your outboard.

No cup holders.

#17 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

Hey that reminds me about doing a cup-holder install. Thanks, couch!

check it:

https://youtube.goog...color2=0x999999

#18 jim lee

jim lee

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

Hey that reminds me about doing a cup-holder install. Thanks, couch!

check it:

https://youtube.goog...color2=0x999999

That's brilliant!

-jim lee

#19 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:47 AM

Won't open. Is there another link ?

#20 Jethrow

Jethrow

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, pretty cool idea!

http://bottleport.com/

#21 Figgy

Figgy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Drinking coffee

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

I've been a fan of this boat for years, but I just dont know how she'd do in Monterey Bay. West out of Moss LAnding, average 15-35kn NW wind with 2-4 ft. seas and little current. I thought I read in one of these threads there was one or three up in the Bay and I'd like to hear how they do up there. I searched around, but I'm no Jedi. I sail a Capri 22 and know what I, and the boat, can handle, and am wondering if the i550 is is a step in the right direction for me and the ol' lady.

#22 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yes...the bottle port, is a pretty cool idea.

#23 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've been a fan of this boat for years, but I just dont know how she'd do in Monterey Bay. West out of Moss LAnding, average 15-35kn NW wind with 2-4 ft. seas and little current. I thought I read in one of these threads there was one or three up in the Bay and I'd like to hear how they do up there. I searched around, but I'm no Jedi. I sail a Capri 22 and know what I, and the boat, can handle, and am wondering if the i550 is is a step in the right direction for me and the ol' lady.

...personally,I haven't heard of any in 'the Bay',,,I'm assuming yer mean SF,,but the previous owner of my boat lived in Sacramento,,did the race 'bridge to bridge'(?),,on a lighter year. 

....Indeed,,I believe you'd be the first to reside and regularly sail in regular winds through 35,,,with those waves over ocean swell...

.....from what I've seen,,the i550 would change from a reasonably 'dry' boat,to 'rather wet',,

,,,,and  would require some saavy helming to counter the 'tracking' caused by the hard chines in the bow on that short of platform

#24 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

Calling out to all i550 builders..wether you are in the water or still working on your build. If you would like. I can add up to three pictures of your i550 and a link to your blog or page if you have one. I will post this on my VELOCITY BoatWorks Facebook page.
You can email me what you have to.
geoff@velocityboatworks.com

Thanks
Geoff.
VELOCITY BoatWorks.

#25 Laker

Laker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

When I first sailed Monterey Bay, I was blown away by being able to leave Santa Cruz harbour, put up a spinniker and if I wanted to, return to Santa Cruz without taking it down.  I then remembered the boat designs coming out of Santa Cruz.  Flyers downwind, I guess because the did not have to spend that much time going to windward.  Not to say they were slugs to windward, but their emphasis was obvious.  Full forward and relatively tiny sterns.  The joy of getting a i550 is that in most conditions you will have a 30ft boat and it will not turn back into an 18 ft boat very often.

#26 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Laker,
If you want more info. Email me.
Geoff.

#27 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

When Tim & I met skiing in Big Sky almost 32 years ago, he had attended UC Santa Cruz & sailed, surfed & dived extensively off Santa Cruz, Monterey Bay, Moss Landing & Ano Neuevo. For those of you who jeer that he has no experience in boat building, when I moved to live with him six months later, he was building cold molded 45-ft yachts, 505's and Wolfpack with Larry Tuttle, Express Boats, the interior of a mega 75 racing yacht (IOR MAXI "SORCERY"), etc. He learned his craft from Kiwi & Australian Journeymen.

The first time I went sailing was from New Zealand to Tahiti, then onto Hawaii. After we married one year later, we raced a Ross out of Alameda to The SF Gate almost every weekend. We Sea Kayaked off Moss Landing several times. Although, I might sound angry, I am tired of 4 individuals trashing my husband & scaring off potential new builders with micron-niggling rules. That's why we are so excited about this Bright New Future With Velocity BoatsWorks. Good to see so many new names here of those not frightened off by flaming Assholes when the vast majority of the those in the i550 world are wonderful people. Many who have been become great friends.

Geoff is our new friend & we expect many years of success with him, combining a class of woodies & FRP boats. Sorry Geoff, but I just had to say that The NACA Gang of Four will not diminish our success. We hear they are now burning up the phone lines & group emails.

Laker, if anyone can advise you of your territory, it will be Tim & I will have him post tonight, as he knows those waters well. I would guess it would depend mostly on your sailing ability as though the i550 is not for rough off-shore waters, it has done so many times off of Queensland, Brisbane, Tasmania etc. We certainly would feel horrible if you drowned. All together he spent about 15 years there, surfing a long board & a laser as well. He has told me stories of Great White Sharks in Monterey Bay & having an Orca surface next to him as he surfed into Westside SC, just outside the break.

Now we are older, but still not that much wiser.

Thanks,

Susan

#28 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

Susan, "NACA Gang of Four?  Perhaps you need to get your rumors straight. Meanwhile, please go back and review this thread that has been nothing but positive. Then remove the above and put it somewhere else.  Let us indeed keep this one on the positive.

#29 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Joe,

After so many years of negativity from you, personally against Tim & myself, the answer is "No." And "Hell No!"

Sorry to all others. Will keep this thread positive from now on. After all, we started this thread. 

One week ago, you trashed us & questioned whether our patterns were accurate. Before that, you questioned whether we should be even running our business.

Don't pretend to be positive now.

Again our apologies to Geoff & all the others here who want to build a good, healthy fleet for a great design, So do we. Now I challenge you for once just to shut up.

S&T

#30 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

Joe,

After so many years of negativity from you, personally against Tim & myself, the answer is "No." And "Hell No!"

Sorry to all others. Will keep this thread positive from now on. After all, we started this thread. 

One week ago, you trashed us & questioned whether our patterns were accurate. Before that, you questioned whether we should be even running our business.

Don't pretend to be positive now.

Again our apologies to Geoff & all the others here who want to build a good, healthy fleet for a great design, So do we. Now I challenge you for once just to shut up.

S&T

When you bother to get your facts straight, when you bother to remember who defended you when no one else would, when you actually begin being positive again yourself, you can talk to me that way. Until then, perhaps you need to follow your own advice and shut up.

#31 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Joe,

We knew you couldn't shut up. We have had so many people email us over the years to ask "who is this jerk?' And we tell them he is an old dog with a very old bone to chew. Anyone doubting the facts, need only go back to the old thread. We've even been warned not to read your posts "because it will just make you mad." Our gang of 4 is different from your gang of four. From now on, we will simply ignore you. Right now there are many people out there rejoicing, because someone finally had the nerve to say STFU. We will not respond to you, no matter what you say or do. GOODBYE!

Now, onto ignoring you & giving Laker some good advice,

Laker,    Moss Landing is a challenging place to sail. It can be very windy there with the push of wind and waves all the way from Santa Cruz. A lot of the sailors in SC used to not sail down to ML because it was a looong slog back uphill to SC and the reward to work sequence was fun first and the work came after. BUT with a trailerable ya don't have to work to go home. the trailer is a magic carpet.  

The unique pocket that is SC would be a lot of fun for the i550. Like you say, some days you can go round most of the wednesday nite course under kite. The boat will go uphill well but it will get waterlined by anything with a longer hull. but the SC course is 15% uphill and the rest is funtime. It is a great place for learning the downwind behavior of any boat, you just choose how far out into the prevailing NWesterly you want to venture a then put up the big fun sail. Off the breeze the i550 might be the equal of many of the locals.

Tim & Susan

#32 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

CouchSurfer,

We know the Gang of 4 you refer to ... we have inside intelligence.

Our Gang of 4 is different. You are #3 on our IGNORE list.

Boats disappear everyday, even in small lakes ...

#33 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

And now we return you to our regular positive programming ...

This was a test of the dropping of the Negative Dead Weight program ... the test was successful & we apologize for any disruption this test may have caused.

#34 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

CouchSurfer,

We know the Gang of 4 you refer to ... we have inside intelligence.

Our Gang of 4 is different. You are #3 on our IGNORE list.

Boats disappear everyday, even in small lakes ...

WOW, any doubt you have gone off the deep end - a threat or at least it could be construed to be ....? Very interesting marketing.  I feel sorry for Geoff at the moment.  If you remove yours (posts) . I'll remove mine.  It never belonged here and you know it. 

#35 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

A THREAT???? No a tragic fact. Boats go down. Cars & planes crash. SHIT HAPPENS no matter how well something is built. Couchsurfer's preceded Tim's solid advice to Laker. Which he was writing at the time!
IGNORE!

#36 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:30 AM

4tied,

You are very brave. You were on for a long time, & the moment we dropped off, you post.

Many have squabbled here. Why single us out? We have been taking crap from these guys for years. This is how we pay our bills & 4 people have been trying to break us for years. Do you really know what has gone on? We do not think so. Let it drop if you want the positive to return.

#37 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:45 AM

There is nothing negative in what I posted. I've been reading the squabble for more than three years and have been quiet until now because of the new venture Geoff and VELOCITY BoatWorks offers. I don't want Watershed to blow it. When folks post negatives about you and the i550 you should post the facts in an un-mistakengly positive manner. For instance, you just now, today, posted Tim's building experience. Who new, it hasn't been posted before. Great job! I commend you! By default, you're the leaders of this bunch. You stay positive and eventually the negatives will fade. I will be brave now, drop it, and stay positive! -Tim K #296 Mist

Tim. you are correct. We will fight no more forever. Thank you for your wise words. There is no way we can fight the kind of stuff posted above. Nor do we want to anymore.

Thank you to ALL the good people.

Susan & Tim

#38 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:53 AM

...TS,,,you've sold builder rights to the boat..and there's positive movement within the classes to sort out their differences.

...now all you you have to do is sell plans,cut kits,hopefully collect royalty cheques,,,and 'be quiet'!

#39 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:17 AM

Couchsurfer...
I'm not quite sure what you know or what you think you know about the business relationship, that myself (Velocity) and T&S (Watershed) have, but I can assure you..no builders rights have been sold. What has transpired, is confidential between myself and them.

You post this as well.
...actually,,,for the objectives involved,,,your suggestion isn't bad at all!
.......it would cover the weight,and panel stiffness questions nicely,,and keep the costs down ,,which would seem essential if this initiative is going to succeed.

How can you answer a question directed at putting a i550 into production? You don't know what my objective is, you don't know what I am using for layup schedule, and you don't know what my costs or overhead are.
But there you are commenting on what is essential to make this succeed.
I just don't get it. That would be like me going on about the objective, the build, the overhead and the cost of the Hoot to people when I have zero clue about how you run your business. I don't think you would be very appreciative of it.

I will tell you my objective. To put out a high end, durable,turnkey, product. Using only the best items, working with only the best people. And to also have a price point that will make others stand up and take notice. My goal from the get go is to have everyone included, and promote all i550s. I don't want to see any i550 left behind. Perhaps you think there are other people more worthy of building this boat, but I can assure you I never came on here over nite and snatched this away from someone else. This has been ongoing for many months. Discussed for many months. And together myself and Watershed came to an agreement.

And finally, you say this.

...TS,,,you've sold builder rights to the boat..and there's positive movement within the classes to sort out their differences.

...now all you you have to do is sell plans,cut kits,hopefully collect royalty cheques,,,and 'be quiet'!

In all my years on this rock, I have found that most people don't like being told what to do.

I honestly don't think the " be quiet " was needed. Seems on one hand you want peace but then you change your mind about it in a heartbeat, just to spark more controversy.

Perhaps there are alot people that need to " be quiet " as you put it.

There has been other talk that Watershed hasn't built a boat. That's no ones business. To own the rights to the boat doesn't mean you have to build one. I worked for a home builder for a number of years. He sold semi custom pre fab homes for about 20 years..never owned one, but that didn't stop him from knowing his product. But what he did know, where all the ins and outs of that product and he did know many many happy customers.
To be honest, my life changed drastically a year ago. If it hadn't, I would have been content to just keep moving in the direction I was already headed.
Now I have the opportunity to get back into something I loved and gave up many years ago.

I have a suggestion, take it for what it's worth.
We all came together here about a little boat that over 500 people have taken a liking too. How about we all direct or energy into making this little boat the best thing there is, because quite frankly, I'm sure we all are being laughed at by all the other classes.
This boat could be so much more than what it currently is but it's got to take everyone getting along to make it happen.
I'm not sure who as what for sale, but a strong class keeps good prices for resale, a weak class will kill all resale value.
Maybe what I have said doesn't mean crap to anyone.

Cheers to all the past, present and future i550 builders and sailors.
It's your blood sweat and tears that have made this boat.

Geoff.

#40 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:04 AM

...I honor your intentions,,wish you well,,,and as I told you in our PM's today,

,,, ,I apologize if my being frank and honest about the boat's capabilities in open ocean lit this crazy powderkeg. 

..I'm confused why you pm'd me this morning,asking for input,, if you have such issues about something I posted yesterday,,but didn't find need to mention those concerns.

.....even though this is sailing 'anarchy',where the i550 was indeed hatched,, I'll certainly not be the one to make any further speculation or forecast of your business' future.

#41 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

Couch...
I see you are the type of person, who has to have the last word, and that's fine,
I asked alot of people for input, some have chose to respond some haven't, your not special, so get over yourself.
The thing is, no one else has speculated about what I am doing, what is good for me to do or what I should be doing.
When you have money invested in this venture of mine, then you can do that.

So go ahead and have the last word, if its nothing other than crap and not positive and constructive things regarding the i550, I won't be responding.

And one last thing, you make out that you are a hero here regarding the unification of the class etc...I find it very interesting that I have yet to be contacted about the production build of this boat, as I think that info would be something the "class" would like to know about.
Depending on who asks now, I'm not so sure I'm going to be willing to offer up that info.

Now let us all get back to positive and constructive i550 stuff.

Geoff.

#42 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

Would all involved kindly just go back and use the DELETE function? It works pretty well!  

btw, Nelson Mandela's funeral was this morning.  It's a bit of a leap to go from Apartheid to the i550, but the man's capacity for forgiveness was truly incredible. Maybe take a small amount of credence from that? 

#43 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

One "quick" comment and then I'll try to hit that reset button:

Tim and Susan have had it rough through the past years. In fact, many of us have for a variety of reasons.  This does not excuse bad behavior, nor should it, but it does explain some of that behavior. The i550 is a cool dream and Watershed has struggled to make it work. We can sit here and judge how they have done it or move forward and worry more about what is best for all of us interested in the i550, both us early and current builders and the coming owners of the production boats.  Or we can continue to call others names and throw insults.  I admit I can be as guilty of stirring the pot as much as anyone else.  However, I have tried hard to be positive on this thread and was, I think justifiably, upset when Susan decided to take this positive thread down a darker road.  I had incorrectly hoped she would see reason and move her post to the other thread.  Instead, here we are.

What happens with the production i550 will effect all of us i550 folks out here, whether we have a boat sailing or are just looking at our plans still dreaming about how cool it will be to build the boat the way we wish and get to sail it with a bunch of others.  Geoff, while it may seem like it is a great idea to contact you, and I think it would have happened once the "unified" rules were a bit closer to reality, the rule issue is immaterial to what you are going to build.  Common sense says you've already made those decisions. If you are truly successful ( and I hope you are), your boats will end up being the Gold Standard no matter what the rules end up being. The rules we need now are ones that protects the people who made the i550 successful so far, us early home builders.  Unfortunately, part of the task, and a difficult one, is protecting ourselves from many of our own. And that is what you often see here on this forum, the reaction to trying to protect the rights of one set of builders from the actions of another. Sad it comes to this, but it is simply the way of things.

In the big scheme of things, what happens with the i550 means little.  Except that it is something that effects one of the most precious thing we have, our free time. That makes many passionate about what happens with this little boat. And that passion often manifests itself on this forum.  We simply need to find a way to direct that passion in more positive ways.

With that, here's that reset, I hope:

A Bright Future for the i550
Watershed Sailboats and Velocity BoatWorks are excited to announce that the i550 will be produced in fiberglass by Velocity BoatWorks in Belleville, Ontario, Canada. Work will begin on the moulds soon and we anticipate a Spring 2014 launch for the first boats. Velocity is owned by Geoff Martin, an experienced FRP manufacturer.
The production version will be built to the i550 design shape, weight, draft, rig geometry, rocker and chine measurements. We will work with home builders to make certain that both the Woodies and the FRP i550's are able to compete on a fair basis. New Woodies, built to the plans, will always be a staple of any future i550 fleets. Ultimately, a Factory Class Association will be chosen from amongst contenders who wish to apply. All past and present homebuilt i550's will be given a liberal rule's interpretation if the boat was built to the intention of the plan set.,
The first production FRP i550 will be the A-4 configuration, which is the short cabin wide cockpit version. If the interest is there, the A-6 deck will be added. See the different versions on the About Page at Watershed's site http://www.i550sportboat.com/ .
 Special thanks goes out to Sailing Anarchy for their support of the i550. From the first Front Page exposure in 1997, the boat has fired the imagination of many "a" builder & sailor. The i550 gets mentioned elsewhere but SA is the site where it has blossomed and found fertile ground. Sailing Anarchy launched the i550 to viral explosion worldwide.
Watershed Sailboats has recognized the need for a production i550 since it became the design owner in January 2008. This is a natural step for us to build the fleet. Many people do not have the time, space for construction, or confidence in their skills to undertake building an i550. Our respect for those individuals and groups who have built i550's, some as a first time project, is tremendous. These men and women have made and are making some remarkably beautiful boats. There are tons of resources from i550class.org, blogs and other forums for home builders and sailors. This i550 community is one of connection and assistance to anyone willing to take on the building and the sailing of the i550. Pockets of fleets range from locales such as Tasmania, Croatia, Russia, South America, Europe, Asia, South Africa and on & on. We are currently at hull license 529.
The intention of the Watershed-Velocity collaboration is to provide affordable, rewarding boats which are simple and durable, responsive and rewarding. We hope it attracts the attention of Clubs and sailing organizations searching for a way to retain members of all ages and the replacements of outdated fleets.
Velocity will offer keels and rudders, masts and more for home builders as production tooling progresses.
Watershed will always continue to offer plan sets & hull licenses, full size patterns and kit sets for the home builder. Like many designs before, the i550 will offer the choice of wood versus plastic.
Velocity currently has its website under construction. FRP prices will be announced in the near future.
In the meantime, you can reach Geoff in Ontario at geoff@velocityboatworks.com
In the meantime, you can reach Geoff in Ontario at http://www.geoff@velocityboatworks.com

Tim Reiter & Susan James

Watershed Sailboats

This is great and I am glad that it is finally out in the open.  I have talked with Geoff and I believe he is the guy to make this work.  The intial choice of "versions"  - the short cabin, long, wide cockpit - is a great one as well.  Perhaps for more pure racing the flush cabin is believed to be a bit better, but I suspect no real difference in the end in what it takes to cross the finish line first. We have seen here on SA that small sporty boats seem to be cropping up in other parts of the world and the idea of a modern Siren comes to my mind; once sold quite a few of them.  Congrats to Geoff, Tim and Susan.  I am looking forward to seeing that website up and running and the final specs and pricing.

#44 Figgy

Figgy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Drinking coffee

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

Really guys, posts not relevent to the OP need to be deleted. A Google search will easily point to this thread, and that would be bad if someone was looking for your companies for info and found this instead. Far be it from me to tell y'all what to do though, but this is the internet.. 

Edited by Figgy, 10 December 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#45 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Although we disagree with what Totalxs said before he started over with our announcement, as stated above above,

WE WILL FIGHT NO MORE FOREVER ... we just cannot compete anymore with such expertise in fighting. We are nice people & we have been enduring this sort of treatment for years. WE GIVE UP on the few negative posters & will no longer be baited. We will concentrate on the vast majority of good posters here & promoting a great design with Velocity. He has our back & that is all that matters.

Tim & Susan

#46 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Outstanding!  congrats to the 'Shed and Velocity.

Tim and Susan,
This is great news for us both.
I'm looking towards a bright future with you both, and growing the i550 even further.
I have already started to recieve enquiries, regarding build time, payment structure and other items.
I'm very excited to get working on the moulds for the i550.
I welcome all past, present and future i550 owners and builders.
I feel I am in very good company with all the people, that have taken an interest in this boat world wide.
Thank you.

Geoff.
Geoff@velocityboatworks.com

#47 Laker

Laker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

Just to clear up;  I live by a mountain lake in the Pacific North West with a half built plywood i550.  I have sailed in Monterey Bay just enough to get in trouble.  Three training camps.  One of four months and two of a month each.  I have also worked out of MBRI a bit.  Monterey Bay was selected because in many ways you can pick your weather.  It can be really ugly and I hope that Figgy stays away from the big waves, big wind of which you speak.  It is certainly there. 

#48 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

Just to clear up;  I live by a mountain lake in the Pacific North West with a half built plywood i550.  I have sailed in Monterey Bay just enough to get in trouble.  Three training camps.  One of four months and two of a month each.  I have also worked out of MBRI a bit.  Monterey Bay was selected because in many ways you can pick your weather.  It can be really ugly and I hope that Figgy stays away from the big waves, big wind of which you speak.  It is certainly there. 

Laker,

Thanks for clearing that up.Love your signature quote & poem.

For others, our instructions that come with the plans states in the first paragraph:

While the sailboat, as designed, is a rugged

seaworthy racing boat, it is NOT intended for offshore use, extended

voyages, and extreme rough weather conditions.

CHEERS! (And I mean it)

Susan

#49 TheFlash

TheFlash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,234 posts
  • Interests:Rum

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Pick your poison I suppose. I've sailed 5o5s out of SC a few times, and an Int. 14 once(picked my time) - would the 550 be less seaworthy?

#50 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Pick your poison I suppose. I've sailed 5o5s out of SC a few times, and an Int. 14 once(picked my time) - would the 550 be less seaworthy?

Flash,

Every sailor has to pick their poison. That statement is our CYA, but it could come down to sink or swim if the gods of rum are not with you.

I see TTB online. He has sailed some rough waters. What would you say Andrew?

S

#51 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

The i550 is a robust boat, has a 4 foot draft keel with a bulb, max keel weight is 185 pounds most of it in the bulb. The comparison of the i550 to the 505 and I14 is sort of a stretch, but The i550 can be more forgiving and will come back upright with the help of the keel in the event of operator error. Essentially all sportboats are ballasted dinghys and if it looks nasty out there be cautious and sensible, doesn't matter which boat.
If you are going to sail off of SC be prudent and put the floatation bags in. A lot of times Moss landing is rougher with the westerlies blowing onshore and no headland to duck behind. That is what makes SC such a unique spot

#52 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

How bout everyone shut up and go sailing in these awesome boats you're all talking about.  (Also I'm really jealous that I don't have one/have a ride on one so if anyone needs crew in the Cheseapeake area let me know)

#53 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

For those of you that still want to build your own i550 & i550 Fleets worldwide:

Got plans? Instant Gratification PDF Plans/Hull Licenses Make Great Holiday Gifts...

Check out our website for details.

Happy Building & Holiday Cheers! 

Tim Reiter & Susan James

Watershed Sailboats

#54 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hull License #530 just went to Curacao, Netherlands Antilles.

We wish All our i550 Friends around the world a Very Merry, Happy Holidays & a very Happy & Prosperous 2014!

Tim & Susan

#55 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Happy NEW Year!

$80 New Year’s PDF Plans & Hull License Special until 1/4/14! See our website or email us for further information.

Happy Building & Cheers! 

Tim Reiter & Susan James

Watershed Sailboats

#56 i550sailor

i550sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Congrats to Watershed and Velocity, I wish you great success. I have a question about the raptor foam, what is the life expectancy of it, how does it work with UV (I live at 7200'). The stuff looks great on your FB page.

PS: Sell a bunch of boats here in Colorado, so I have a fleet to sail against, when mine is built.

#57 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thank you forthe good wishes. I will pursue your question about UV stability with the Raptor manufacturer. Velocity and WS are encouraged by the enthusiastic response we are recieving from a number of surprising sources. The price point goal is to keep it aggresively more affordable than other offerings currently on the market. There is an existing gap in performance sailing for young sailors graduating from FJ's and other two-handed dinghys. If the sailor is too light to do well in a Laser then the same problem occurs in another aspect. If they continue sailing it is usually as rail meat and it is no fun for a teenager listening to some old guy yelling and making mistakes. It is no wonder we lose so many youngsters. As important as the youngsters, perhaps more so, are the the old farts who want to have a performance boat and are downsizing. They remember the fun to be had in larger fleets, they (we) just wanna have fun, too. I think that there is great potential for bridgeing this generation gap with the i550. Stick an old fart on an i550 with a couple youngsters and they can both learn from each other. Plunk down two or three kids out of the FJ's or Lasers (I prefer Torch) and they learn to manage a boat that can get out of its own way. The boat is very good. Let us remember that above all else. Tim

#58 i550sailor

i550sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

Thank you forthe good wishes. I will pursue your question about UV stability with the Raptor manufacturer. Velocity and WS are encouraged by the enthusiastic response we are recieving from a number of surprising sources. The price point goal is to keep it aggresively more affordable than other offerings currently on the market. There is an existing gap in performance sailing for young sailors graduating from FJ's and other two-handed dinghys. If the sailor is too light to do well in a Laser then the same problem occurs in another aspect. If they continue sailing it is usually as rail meat and it is no fun for a teenager listening to some old guy yelling and making mistakes. It is no wonder we lose so many youngsters. As important as the youngsters, perhaps more so, are the the old farts who want to have a performance boat and are downsizing. They remember the fun to be had in larger fleets, they (we) just wanna have fun, too. I think that there is great potential for bridgeing this generation gap with the i550. Stick an old fart on an i550 with a couple youngsters and they can both learn from each other. Plunk down two or three kids out of the FJ's or Lasers (I prefer Torch) and they learn to manage a boat that can get out of its own way. The boat is very good. Let us remember that above all else. Tim

I am also curious how the raptor foam holds up in freeze thaw climates, especially at the edges?.

#59 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

i550sailor,

I'm expecting a package of product from Raptor Decking, any day now. I want to see what it is like in a freeze thaw situation as well. And I will get a chance to find out. I will let you know what happens with it. I believe it is a very well made product and it will suit this boat well. There are other similar products, but I believe Raptor to be the best. I will get some pricing off to you as well if you like. Just shoot an email off to me at my Velocity email. geoff@velocityboatworks.com

P.S. thanks for the well wishes.

Geoff.

#60 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

We have tried plywood, coremat, Divinycell and others, as far as cores go. We have made up quite a few panels for testing using different gel coats, glass weights, cores and resins and have come up with a layup schedule that is light, durable and very impact resistant. We will be strictly adhering to this layup in every boat. No deviations from it. The goal is to build it to the tolerance in weight of the woodies.
Our price for a HULL, DECK AND KEEL BOX / GRID SYSTEM finished in high gloss white gel coat is $ 6,950.00 plus applicable taxes.
The deck will be unattached from the hull for owner finishing. The hull will include the keel box / grid system attached in place.
If a kit boat is what you are after, we will offer deep discounts on all required items that are needed. Hardware, rigging, sails etc. as we are an agent for many companies.
Pricing for a complete turn key i550 will be coming shortly.
Our goal is to produce a quality, durable product. Only the best materials, and the best components will be used.

For more info, email Geoff.
geoff@velocityboatworks.com

Sail fast.
Geoff.

#61 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

TYVEKS and plans have arrived. Now the plug process for the moulds begins.
Checkout the renderings of the finished product.
Contact us for Kit and Complete Boat details.

Attached Files

#62 i550sailor

i550sailor

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

Due to my limited ability with patience, I marked my tyvek/plywood outlines using a dark colored highlighter vs paint, and having to wait for the paint to dry, you can be cutting in seconds.

Advantages: The highlighter left a crisper line to cut to. The highlighter does not leave any overspray and you don't have to sand paint off to use your scraps. But most importantly NO WAITING for paint to dry.

#63 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

Due to my limited ability with patience, I marked my tyvek/plywood outlines using a dark colored highlighter vs paint, and having to wait for the paint to dry, you can be cutting in seconds.

Advantages: The highlighter left a crisper line to cut to. The highlighter does not leave any overspray and you don't have to sand paint off to use your scraps. But most importantly NO WAITING for paint to dry.

...heh,,that 'limited patience' is accomplishing one of the quickest builds yet!

...do you have a blog going?

#64 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Interests:Traveling to far away sailing venues and terrorizing the locals!

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

Attached File  IMG_1266.jpg   167.37K   71 downloads

Spent a few days at the Portland Boat Show promoting the boat and class.  Lots of interest in the boat… a bit of interest in buying PDX #5… a bit of interest buying a bare hull… gave away some drawings… directed a few people to the Mac26 booth… the world is full of dreamers… 

#65 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_1266.jpg

Spent a few days at the Portland Boat Show promoting the boat and class.  Lots of interest in the boat… a bit of interest in buying PDX #5… a bit of interest buying a bare hull… gave away some drawings… directed a few people to the Mac26 booth… the world is full of dreamers… 

...great plan--hadn't known you were doing that. 

......it's certainly great that there's now a slate of options for those who 'get the bug'

#66 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

...great plan--hadn't known you were doing that. 
......it's certainly great that there's now a slate of options for those who 'get the bug'

Yeah it was a bit last minute and I didn't get to spend as much time pressing the flesh as I would have liked, but it was worth it for sure. The PDX boat show was how we got Lee a few years back and why we now have clean PDF drawings for the i550. Response for the boat was very strong this year.

I'll PM you the contacts interested in buying a hull once I get through trying to sell them the finished #5!

#67 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

...methinks the new builder has an unbeatable offer on bare GRP hulls.

.....I'd sell my current boat at ~$8.5g,, build my own 'dream-550' though ;)

...a pretty full-on boat for not much more than a new laser,eh!?

#68 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

Now that the TYVEKS and plans have arrived and we have gotten off to a start on the plugs for the moulds, we are off to the Toronto International Boat Show this week to talk about things i550 with the gear manufacturers and the various sail lofts. I wish I could be in two places at once. Working on the plugs and at the show.
Remember our goal here is to bring a complete, well built and durable, turn key, FRP Production i550 to market at a very reasonable price. And the Toronto show will be where the deals are made.
We are the ONLY Licensed i550 manufacturer, and we want to thank Watershed for this opportunity.
Geoff.

#69 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

Seems like an odd thing to say "only licensed i550 manufacturer" I've a buddy who's in the middle of a build - I wonder of he knows he doesn't have a license to build his boat.

Now that the TYVEKS and plans have arrived and we have gotten off to a start on the plugs for the moulds, we are off to the Toronto International Boat Show this week to talk about things i550 with the gear manufacturers and the various sail lofts. I wish I could be in two places at once. Working on the plugs and at the show.
Remember our goal here is to bring a complete, well built and durable, turn key, FRP Production i550 to market at a very reasonable price. And the Toronto show will be where the deals are made.
We are the ONLY Licensed i550 manufacturer, and we want to thank Watershed for this opportunity.
Geoff.

#70 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:45 AM

He has a hull license. To build 1 hull. We are a licensed manufacturer. To build many hulls.

#71 ultraracer613um

ultraracer613um

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:27 AM

What if he buys many licenses? Can he build many hulls?

.. As long as he does not manufacture them I suppose?

He has a hull license. To build 1 hull. We are a licensed manufacturer. To build many hulls.

#72 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:09 AM

Actually I believe there is a limit. Don't quote me, and I'm not about to get pulled into an argument over it. But I'm pretty sure the info that you seek, is on the Watershed site. All I know is this. We are the only licensed builder with a contract to build multiple hulls from Watershed, who own the design rights. Which makes us a i550 production manufacturer and not a i550 one off home builder. Hope that clears things up.

#73 teener

teener

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:13 AM

What if I buy a license and my method of construction is ultraracer's buddy?

Calm down juswanna.  Build a good product at a reasonable price and you will have customers.

#74 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

Lol....I'm pretty calm. Just trying to explain things that are already on the Watershed page. I'm sure you could get hs buddy to build for you. Don't really see that as an issue. I got quoted and a question was asked. So I replied.
And thanks. I hope things go well too.

#75 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

I certainly hope you build and sell a ton of boats, but I hate to break it to you...

There is no "exclusive right to manufacture". The design has no current patent (which would be expired now anyway and unenforceable since the design is in the public domain), the use of "i550" isn't trademarked and would be hard to enforce if a trademark was now sought, and other than the plans (drawn by an unpaid individual for the benefit of Watershed) with a copyright stamp theoretically preventing the duplication of the "plans", there is no realistically enforceable way to prevent someone from building as many "boats" from a single set of "plans" as they so choose to build. Reality...

#76 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Eric,
That could very well be all fine and true. But I'm not going to speculate on that, as I don't pretend to be a lawyer. I directed the question to the Watershed site for the answer, as I did not know the answer. And any info given out on the Internet, I wouldn't take as gospel anyway, even though most people believe that if it is written on the Internet. It must be true.
How does one go about getting a hull number then? Hull numbers just can't be plucked from the air. That wouldn't be good for the class.
I like the number 4. But....It's already taken, it doesn't mean I can make a duplicate hull number. That's also a reality.

#77 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

To further the reality, while there is no legal nor practical way to stop multiple boat builds by anyone, no one wanted to or could before.  Or at least, past the PDX version if a multiple boat build or a group in Australia I believe, no one took the time nor expense to do it. (all purchased separate hull licenses as well). And to commit to a real production FRP build takes a pretty large investment.  Even if you firmly believe in not needing permission from Watershed, the cost of "doing it right" is low enough to make the benefits of being up front and fair to all, including Watershed, more than worth it. To say it another way, would you rather deal with the guy that said screw it to Watershed or the guy who took the time to work things out with them? 

Just and his new Velocity Boat Works is poised to take the i550 to the next level. We already know the basic kit version is under 7K. I can't wait to see how good the ready to sail price is going to be. 

#78 juswannagofast

juswannagofast

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Joe. I guess that's where I'm coming from..no matter WHO has the rights to the design, I would definitely make sure it was done properly. I'm not out to rip anyone off. I like to sleep at nite and it's also not a very good way to run a business.
For me, doing it right is the only way to do it.

I will now wait to have this post ripped apart and twisted, and put back into somthing completely different from what I have said.

My goal is to offer a well made, durable and price conscious i550. I want to see more people out sailing. I want to make it affordable.
If anything, from what I have gone through personally in the last year with Cancer. I count myself very lucky that I am even getting the opportunity to do this. I won't even know if I will be able to sail on one, until I get one built. I'm not sure my body can take it. But I am going to give it my best shot. I've just sold my last boat. Because I could no longer sail her. I hope it gets used for its intended purpose.
So if all I can do is build the i550. That's ok by me.

#79 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

....I think velocity is well protected.... 

...... if a person accounts their time at -any- value at all,,,,,they'll be looking towards velocity and Geoff for their hull at least.

....you'd have to  really  --want-- to build a hull yourself with that deal available!

#80 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

We knew that this was going to be Rimkus' next totally warped tactic. He has been telegraphing it for months now.WE WILL NO LONGER BE BULLIED BY HIM! We will have a STRONG rebuttal, that we need to coordinate with Geoff who is not available until early afternoon & we will post after that.. Thanks to others for their support.

The i550 is a great boat & we cannot let a single individual ruin its chance to be the great boat that it is destined to become.

What can you expect from a guy whose avatar is a "Don't Give A Fuck Meter," pointed way below zero?

In the meantime, we will not answer anything posted by him.

WATERSHED

#81 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

.................... In the meantime, we will not answer anything posted by him.

.........ummmmmmmmm,,

........oh never mind :mellow:

#82 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

.................... In the meantime, we will not answer anything posted by him.

.........ummmmmmmmm,,

It's just so tragic, yet amusing...

BTW... I do sincerely hope Velocity builds and sells a ton of boats... I also hope they take the initiative to build a proper class structure.

#83 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

.........ummmmmmmmm,,

It's just so tragic, yet amusing...

BTW... I do sincerely hope Velocity builds and sells a ton of boats... I also hope they take the initiative to build a proper class structure.

Yes, I also hope Velocity sells a lot of boats. 

Unfortunately, I fear the new class structure is being set over at the i550class forum and will leave many of us early builders out in the cold.

The Pacific North West is a bit cold right now, isn't it? 

#84 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

Total,

Fear not. As we said in our initial announcement at the top of this thread:

"We will work with home builders to make certain that both the Woodies and the FRP i550's are able to compete on a fair basis. New Woodies, built to the plans, will always be a staple of any future i550 fleets. Ultimately, a Factory Class Association will be chosen from amongst contenders who wish to apply. All past and present homebuilt i550's will be given a liberal rule's interpretation if the boat was built to the intention of the plan set."

Geoff is tied up at the Toronto Boat Show. We will coordinate with him late this evening & make our response in the a.m.

Watershed

P.S. Remember when Cheap Fast & Fun was the intention of the i550? We own this design & are the RDO recognized in NA.org's constitution. We took screen shots of all the relevant documentation of your site this a.m.

Others have tried to steal the design & look how that worked out.

Let's get back to the original intention & the FUN!

Going to stay off SA the rest of the day. It will just be tit for tat.

WATERSHED

#85 TOTALXS

TOTALXS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

The way the new rule set is heading over at the i550class site with the same folks running the show, for the most part, who wrote the "proposed" rule set, their new and improved version will still leave many out of their class, IE, out in the cold.  The NA class, located in the cold north, however, is all inclusive of boats currently legal to the rules.  We will just continue to have two US classes. Unfortunate, but it looks like a necessity if there is going to be a class fair to all builders. 

Just a note, the way the i550 world currently works is that the rules are what governs how an i550 is actually built rather than that plan set.  If it wasn't that way, we would all have cabins and all have narrow cockpits with Dwyer rigs.

This really won't matter to Velocity as his boats will be legal in both classes.  

What is unfortunate is that the RDO has allowed personal feelings or a personal grudge issue with one person get in the way and distance themselves from the class that has often been the biggest and best promoter of the i550 between the two US classes.   I hope the Velocity does not make the same mistake. 

#86 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

The Pacific North West is a bit cold right now, isn't it? 

Well it isn't Florida... That's for sure!
Had a bit of bitter cold before Christmas, but back in the 50s and rain lately.
We still get out and sail in it though. Some of the best sailing in the NW is this time of year!

#87 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

"I will now wait to have this post ripped apart and twisted, and put back into something completely different from what I have said. "   :)

...how about....

''I am ripped and twisted, and now wait to put back something different completely into my will than what I said'' :P

#88 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

Couldn't have said it better, couch!  ;)

#89 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Total,

Re: your continual rant:

"What is unfortunate is that the RDO has allowed personal feelings or a personal grudge issue with one person get in the way and distance themselves from the class that has often been the biggest and best promoter of the i550 between the two US classes.   I hope the Velocity does not make the same mistake."

We are not in league with i550Class. They have rapped our knuckles hard & left us on the sidelines.

T-Ford,

By defending your class, does that mean you are starting squabbles & "needless bickering," as that is what your admin accused us of doing. We were only defending rudeness of one of your members towards Geoff. The hostile one is the one that starts the problem,

not the other way around.

Velocity & Watershed will pick the appropriate class together.

Still waiting for that apology.

You can now put me on "Ignore." 

Just Susan

#90 TexLex

TexLex

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

So much for this thread being "A Bright Future for the i550".

You all are idiots for continuing to perpetuate this bickering and airing this in these public forums. (At least if you did it in one of the i550 page forums there would be less general public traffic.)

I love this boat, but all this BS proves to anyone interested in the boat is that there seems to be a bunch of A-Holes related to it.

NO ONE looks good and NO ONE wins from all this crap.

Flame away. 

#91 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

So much for this thread being "A Bright Future for the i550".

You all are idiots for continuing to perpetuate this bickering and airing this in these public forums. (At least if you did it in one of the i550 page forums there would be less general public traffic.)

I love this boat, but all this BS proves to anyone interested in the boat is that there seems to be a bunch of A-Holes related to it.

Flame away. 

......okay fine ....YOU win!!!! :)

...if you haven't realized,,,,we're all great people,,,

......with a little 'extra-sumthn'' when the full moon comes along**.........now bugger off so we can continue <_<

.......**,,an interesting correlation!!

#92 TimFordi550#87

TimFordi550#87

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

OK, I take that as a legitimate criticism, TexLex and I will delete my post.

[edit] post deleted

#93 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Luckily, we have a professional expert that is giving us good advice on our status as RDO & our rights. It's good news for us, but will wait to post up our promised rebuttal until he checks into a few more details.

Watershed

#94 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

We are not in league with i550Class. They have rapped our knuckles hard & left us on the sidelines.

Just Susan

So am I to understand that pretty much everyone sailing the i550 or promoting the i550 or building an i550 wants nothing to do with you and has kicked you to the curb?

OK, I take that as a legitimate criticism, TexLex and I will delete my post.

[edit] post deleted

You sure are good at deleting posts… kind of paints an interesting picture of you… 

Flame away. 

I to enjoy the boat and enjoyed building the PDX fleet and think the boat is a bunch of fun with the fun people that we have actively racing in our part of the world… to bad that there has been an absolute lack of class leadership from the "RDO" since the start and an inability to have uncensored discussions anywhere but on SA… A bright new future for the i550 will come when people who aren't racing OD yet and aren't even close to doing so stop worrying about rules and theoretical "cheater builds" and just finish their own damn boat.  Once there are fleets racing people can start the discussion of what should or should not be in the "rules"; until boats are racing in decent numbers the entire "rules" argument is academic; and many who have actually raced the boats in a fleet will tell you that any "rules" discussions will continue to be purely academic because it just doesn't matter on the water.

Flame away indeed

#95 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Luckily, we have a professional expert that is giving us good advice on our status as RDO & our rights. It's good news for us, but will wait to post up our promised rebuttal until he checks into a few more details.

Watershed

Oh please… stop with the BS and the rhetoric...

You don't own the "i550" as you don't have a trademark and the logo and its association is now in the public domain.  The design was never patent protected nor could it be at this point.  There is no "intellectual property" as you so fondly like to claim.  This is all in the public domain now and you don't really have anything but a PDF file that has a copywrite from the last creator limiting the reproduction and distribution for profit of those images.  You sell a PDF of drawings… that is it… you have done nothing to establish a "brand" nor have you done anything to protect that "brand"… 

#96 timber

timber

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

Rimkus

We are tired of your lunacy. 

We have been  emailed by people in Portland and the surrounding area stating that they really like the i550, but will not get close to the group so long as you are in any way associated much less a "leader". We will post our rebuttal when we are damn ready. Your actions serve only to destroy the future for this great sport boat. 

We will stay off of SA to not be baited by your corrosive destructive agenda. For the longest time, we knew you were going to pull this stunt. We own this design. Period. 

Tim Watershed

#97 TeamGladiator

TeamGladiator

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

Oh keep telling funny stories... I'm sure that's all true and that's why there are more i550s sailing in Portland and being built in the NW than anywhere... Yeah... Good try... I'm sure I had not a thing to do with that and it was all your exemplary marketing and product support.

#98 Timbo

Timbo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Interests:Life's Short...

Sail Fast!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

Geeze........  I would ask for popcorn and beer, but this is just sad......   :(

#99 4tied

4tied

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

One thing Gladiator is right about. I need to finish the boat!

#100 Boatzilla

Boatzilla

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:05 AM

Hell, just build some boats and go sailing... 

PDX fleet is pretty damn cool!!!  When you guys coming up to Oly again?

I love the design and checking out the build blogs.  I considered a build and ended up buying a Viper640.  That didn't really take off in the PNW and my Viper has been sold.  People are people are watching.  I'm hoping for success on all fronts.  Lets not sail into a shit-typhoon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users