86 replies to this topic

#1 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

I've been a lurker for a while but not had cause to post so far, this changed with a text from my dad saying the family now owns a 109 and an empty bank account. So what's the next step?

The situation is that I'll probably be sorting out most of the details of set up on the boat. We're a UK (Solent) based boat and the boat is an ex charter boat. What sort of things should we be doing with her?

The aim is to get out racing for the second half of the Frostbite Series and we hope to do a mix of IRC and one design racing. Hopefully with a fair few offshores too.

What sail wardrobes would people recommend. What extra bits? I've heard that purchase backstays and bobstays do well under IRC and that inhaulers are a must.

Cheers
M

#2 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Send the class captain a note, he knows what he's talking about!  (And I used to sail with him).

If you don't have his contact details PM me.

#3 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Search function is your friend. U know the rules around here.

#4 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Search function is your friend. U know the rules around here.

Search function? 

you obviously haven't tried it in a while.

I stand corrected.

#5 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

I thought the rule was something about tits? In that case: https://imgur.com/gallery/EFoGU

Good idea Flaming! I'm also looking for ideas from people who've done their own setups etc.

My understanding is the Uk od allows 3 kites and 3 headsails (off the top of my head mind) and that most/some people rating for IRC don't bother with the 1 due to the penalty.

#6 mcsailor0303

mcsailor0303

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Interests:Kiteboarding, Ladies, Beer, and SAILING

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Those 109's are really cool boats!  Congrats on the new ride!

#7 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

I thought the rule was something about tits? In that case: https://imgur.com/gallery/EFoGU

Good idea Flaming! I'm also looking for ideas from people who've done their own setups etc.

My understanding is the Uk od allows 3 kites and 3 headsails (off the top of my head mind) and that most/some people rating for IRC don't bother with the 1 due to the penalty.

Most of the boats over here have went for non-overlapping- you're at no disadvantage once the wind hits 12 knots and the IRC advantage is better anyway. 

In terms of kites I think the rule only refers to 3 sizes- I'd suggest A big A2, a reaching A3 and an A4- But I think you're only rated on your largest and can only have 3 on board- so if you're doing offshore an A5 could be worth a look. 

Some boats have 2 A2s, one light one for chasing zephyrs and one heavier for breeze- that could be worth looking at because in flat water you can carry the big kite in alot of breeze.

I don't sail a 109 just race against them on a 347 alot, and they are very sweet boats

#8 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yeah I've raced against or alongside them a fair bit too. Never actually raced on one though, spend most of my time on one of the Sigma 38s. In terms of kites one of the things we've really missed on the symmetric boat this year is the lack of any tight reach sail. It was very aggravating watching Foggy Dew pull away in the start of almost every offshore.

#9 Bad_Moose

Bad_Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Sailing!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Get yourself onto the J/109 UK & Ireland Class Association Facebook page. Lots of owners and crew that'll be willing to help. Probably worth dropping the guys and girls at Key Yachting an email too (unless you're already in touch with them), they'll be able to give you lots of advice. Good luck! :)

#10 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I was on the boat yesterday taking the prop off and mousing out halyards until it got a bit too windy to stay in the boat on the hard. Discretion being the better part of valour and all that.

One of the parts I took of was the car control lines. The shackles on them looked pretty small and when I got them off the pins were all bent. Are these parts under spec?

#11 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

everything you need to know: http://forums.sailin...20517&p=3219689

#12 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

Thanks mustang, just finished reading that comparative monster of a thread. I was particularly impressed by Blur's Chinese Gybe recovery! There was a little on jib cars, but that was mostly on the length of line to use. Though there was a comment that I think you made that makes me think we may have a nonstandard set-up. It's a little hard to see in this photo but you might be able to get the gist of it. I can get better photos when I head home. The blocks look the right spec for the line but the end fittings on the block look like they're hitting their yield limit.

Sorry for the shitty photo but it was to remind me to check the fittings and change the bungy.

ZDWdCqg.jpg?1

#13 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:48 AM

no, that doesnt look standard - usually the forward end of the system is integral to the track. How old is your boat/what hull? In any case, with that sort of setup i would maybe consider copying the J111 purchase system - it looks cleaner than both yours and the J109 stock setup, and i think allows more room for a cascade, if memory serves. One more thing: the top stud can spin independently of the shroud, unlike wire which is less likely to do that. Always double pin the shrouds (which it seems is sort of done in your picture, and is probably ok). 

#14 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

Thanks mustang, just finished reading that comparative monster of a thread. I was particularly impressed by Blur's Chinese Gybe recovery! There was a little on jib cars, but that was mostly on the length of line to use. Though there was a comment that I think you made that makes me think we may have a nonstandard set-up. It's a little hard to see in this photo but you might be able to get the gist of it. I can get better photos when I head home. The blocks look the right spec for the line but the end fittings on the block look like they're hitting their yield limit.

Sorry for the shitty photo but it was to remind me to check the fittings and change the bungy.

:D For some reason that recovery seems to amuse people all over the world. First thing I heard when I came to Sydney and met a random J/boat sailor; "oh, it's you guys with the Chinese gybe - didn't think that was possible".

On the photo, it's actually looks pretty standard (at least compared to #326), but with another block up front. We had a Harken Carbo 40 mm Double Block  w Becket. Actually I think it works ok, and doing it 111-style might require another pad eye on deck. Also, If you're using the genoa the distance on the track is to long to go 1:2:4. I would keep it.

#15 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

Sorry mustang I do t know the hull# off the top of my head, or the year. I can check when I next pop to Hamble (not today, weather is crap!). Good call on the shrouds, will check that! The rig is only about a year and a bit old, she got dismasted in a port/starboard I think, but as the receipt says the mast was £40000 I think we want to not break it!

Blur, it's a harken fiddle block with Beckett at the forward end (that shackles to an eyebolt) and a fiddle without at the aft. http://www.harken.se...4654&taxid=5216 It actually seemed to work pretty well, just worried about it being too weak. It also smacks the hell out of the car track so a cover may be in order. I wonder why people are astounded by it?! It's only a fantastically cool and collected recovery from a big Chinese!

Cheers,
M

#16 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

yes, to go to a J111 setup would require an additional padeye. I always found the load of the stock system to be just a touch beyond manageable in my opinion with the #3 in over 15kts. But then again i always  and still do count as the one crew under 130lbs... (that might have been a US only/regatta specific rule?)

#17 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

Don't change anything too permanently unless you check the UK class rules first. From memory you could just about move the car forward with the 3, impossible to move it forward with the 1 although we only ever did one regatta with the big jib.

#18 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Tried to find photos of deck layout and gear, but couldn't find many. Most racing photos and some from the build. Anyways, I collected theme here. 

http://www.flickr.co...0749814934/show

Might contain some inspiration...

Enjoy the boat.

#19 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

Yeah we couldn't move the car on the sigma with the 1 up. If it was desperate I'd balance on the sheet forward of the car while the guys in the cockpit moved it. Else we'd do windward adjustment only.

The issue I have with the jib cars is a worry about things going bang under load after a triple block went about 2 inches from my head when the kicker on a boat I was racing failed. That the shackles are bent is a worrying sign that they've been loaded far beyond their swl.

Umm blur I'm not entirely sure that there's any deck layouts in that album!

Blur those look useful, many thanks for that! My phone wasn't loading any beyond the first 5!

#20 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:02 AM

As a new J/109 owner of hull #266, I need a reference to jib sizes for #1 & #3.   On the J/30 its 163% OD sail for #1 and 110% for #3.  What are the corresponding numbers for the J/109?

Thanks to the J/109 owners posting here.  I'm learning a bunch!

#21 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

This page on the north uk site gives some info. http://www.northsail...US/Default.aspx Says a #3 is 105% for od. The uk class rules also state a headsail has a max lp of 145%. I've been researching a lot in the last week!

#22 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:10 AM

As a new J/109 owner of hull #266, I need a reference to jib sizes for #1 & #3.   On the J/30 its 163% OD sail for #1 and 110% for #3.  What are the corresponding numbers for the J/109?

Thanks to the J/109 owners posting here.  I'm learning a bunch!

Class rules are at www.j109.org.  There isn't a class #1 or #2.   Some owners have a #1 for PHRF.  If i recall, the class #3 is 105%.  North, Quantum, UK and probably some others have  tested designs for J/109 class sails.  If you want to race OD, make sure your sail maker gets you a tag.

#23 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

Bill the Quantum class sails for the 109 are the bidness. They went 1 and 2 at the NAs this year.

Email me for the name of the guy who knows the most about em if ya want. 

#24 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

I think we've got some Quantums in the pile of sails that came with the boat. Probably not the winning vintage though!

I found a better photo of the mechanism for the jib cars, in it you can see the eyebolt that the block shackles to and the block itself.

9pD9xdy.jpg

There's also a couple of broker photos of the boat, including the ID No. (If that makes anyone the wiser as to hull #).

eJX27rh.jpg

f1FKY5H.jpg?1

Plus a photo of her from last weekend on the hard. One of the defects is that the antifoul is all cracking off so she's going to have it all stripped off and then redone.

8Qf5vXa.jpg?1

#25 Left Hook

Left Hook

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

Lovin that paint job.

#26 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

The colour was a deciding factor in mum agreeing!

#27 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

Is that Jarhead? If it is you've a great name to go with the paintjob

#28 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Nope it's Vertigo (Though apparently Dad has been trying to persuade mum to rename her Joy of Wessex as it sounds a little like Joy of Sex) . I think she's GBR6809R.

#29 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

So in the ongoing saga of fixing things on the boat (which after yesterdays storm is probably full of water) we've pulled the prop off and bee looking at it. The only way we can describe it is using the technical term "buggered". The blades wobble on their pins and the prop wobbles on the shaft. We're hopeful that the shaft is undamaged but the prop needs to be replaced ideally. Does anyone know of anywhere that does refurbished second hand props that we could fit? We are looking at new ones but they're 8 or 9 hundred pounds.

Cheers,

M

#30 DFL1010

DFL1010

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

Spoke to an engineering mate... He says:
Most folding props have play, ts a question of how much, there's a fine line between acceptable and not acceptable!

These people are the people to see apparently:
C&O engineering
Unit 11 Watermota Works, Abbotskerswell, Newton Abbot, Devon
01626 367782

#31 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

Thanks for that thought! I'll pass the details on to the man with the money!

We're of the opinion that there is far too much play in the prop. Our previous boat also had a sail drive and we kept zero play in the prop. Basically required keeping it clean and lubricated. The previous owner had done the same.

This prop has had major marine growth and ingress if water causing some corrosion. The prop is slightly loose on the shaft, which causes the worry of the shaft getting damaged. The blades have play too, so much is that the holes for the pins are oval and there is possible evidence of cracking. The parts on the blade that fit into the hub have also tapered noticeably. It's a worrying trend!

Merry Christmas too! :)

#32 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

So in the ongoing saga of fixing things on the boat (which after yesterdays storm is probably full of water) we've pulled the prop off and bee looking at it. The only way we can describe it is using the technical term "buggered". The blades wobble on their pins and the prop wobbles on the shaft. We're hopeful that the shaft is undamaged but the prop needs to be replaced ideally. Does anyone know of anywhere that does refurbished second hand props that we could fit? We are looking at new ones but they're 8 or 9 hundred pounds.

Cheers,

M

that sounds awfully heavy for a J109 prop! are you sure it isnt for a much bigger boat? 

in all seriousness good luck. our engine/prop were problem free so i cant offer any advice there. 

#33 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

that sounds awfully heavy for a J109 prop! are you sure it isnt for a much bigger boat? 

in all seriousness good luck. our engine/prop were problem free so i cant offer any advice there. 

It's probably an IRC optimisation thing and a metric/imperial conversion issues! ;)

#34 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:22 PM

Couple of us got down to the boat today. Did more dismantling and cleaning. Soon we might even be able to start putting it back together.

On a somewhat related note does anyone know if there's a market for second hand air con units? Or the best way to go about draining the water system.

On an also related note check your though hulls! We found one that if opened may have started sinking the boat. That ones being filled and faired though.

#35 Sheethead

Sheethead

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sierra Nevada, Harpoon, Bushmills, Mt. Gay, Svedka

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

Nice boat! Never saw boot stripes like that-

#36 Atilla The Hun

Atilla The Hun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

We had problem withe the harken jib blocks exploding so changed to lewmar. Stronger block. Shackle still small though.

#37 Atilla The Hun

Atilla The Hun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

See you at cork week for one design!
http://www.corkweek....cork-week-2014/

#38 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

Have some Irish people looking at my boat, hopefully they'll be incentivised by Cork Week. Always used to be a must do event, hopefully not so expensive these days and returning to the key elements which made it so successful.

#39 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

I think we might go for strops or soft shackles on the cars. The metal shackles look far too flimsy!

It'd be good to get to cork week! Some of us from Southampton Uni are already planning on taking a 40.7 across, perhaps we can get the crew for two boats!

Fingers crossed we can make the end of the RSYC Feostbite series! The rudder has been removed for a bearing change. The shiny new prop went on yesterday, I'm going down tomorrow after my last exam to do some final bits of dismantling and soon she can start going back together!

Hope your boat sells Jambalaya. I know from our first boat that not having them sell slows everything down.

#40 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

It was a lovely day for a little bit of work!

Ljgotaf.jpg

#41 Atilla The Hun

Atilla The Hun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

Curious
Are UK j109s carrying no. 2 headsails?

#42 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

I think we might go for strops or soft shackles on the cars. The metal shackles look far too flimsy!

Harken 1799

#43 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

Curious

We have one in the inventory. Just one. As a balance there are 3 #1 and 3 #3. I think the weather here is prohibitive to using them a lot of the time. I've certainly done entire series not getting the big sails out of the bag before.

#44 Atilla The Hun

Atilla The Hun

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

Curious

We have one in the inventory. Just one. As a balance there are 3 #1 and 3 #3. I think the weather here is prohibitive to using them a lot of the time. I've certainly done entire series not getting the big sails out of the bag before.

Curious

Cheers,
We carry a #1 up to 13knot but the heavy #3 still leaves us well under powered till we start hitting 22knots. So always feels like we have a gap in the wardrobe. Have carried another #1 up to 17knot and quite comfortable but very short sail lifetime doing that.

#45 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

@Atila - regarding #2's most boats I know have a full 1, 2, 3 inventory. The 2's seem quite rarely used but people have them, my guess is for fear of missing out. I raced my boat in irc with a special all purpose 3 (so not the flat heavy weather sail of OD) and never felt the boat underpowered except in the lightest stuff. I found a good 4 very useful as with the big main the boat gets overpressed. We sailed a mix of 2 handed and with small/medium sized crew (ie 4-6 so well below OD max weights)

#46 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:08 AM

I think we're going to be pretty much copying you Jambalaya! All our sails have disappeared into a loft in a big stack to be checked, hopefully in time for the IRC Youth Interclub Nationals on the 29th March.

#47 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

@Atila - regarding #2's most boats I know have a full 1, 2, 3 inventory. The 2's seem quite rarely used but people have them, my guess is for fear of missing out. I raced my boat in irc with a special all purpose 3 (so not the flat heavy weather sail of OD) and never felt the boat underpowered except in the lightest stuff. I found a good 4 very useful as with the big main the boat gets overpressed. We sailed a mix of 2 handed and with small/medium sized crew (ie 4-6 so well below OD max weights)

+1

We made a #3 with a sweetspot in 16 knots TWS. Worked great from 10 knots ut to 24+ when you have to twist a alot (or get a #4). And it overlapped nicely with the genoa in 10-14 knots, where we had the option to go for power in lumpy sea or pointing ability in flat water. Normally, crossover was in 12 knots.

blur3di_aero-1.jpg

#48 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

That sounds like an almost perfect sail for what we're planning on doing Blur! Looks pretty nice too, is it a North? I'm sure most of the sails that look like that are North's, but I may be mistaken.

On our end the newly renamed Jybe Talkin' will be launched a week tomorrow as far as the plans go! Hamble Point Marina will have an interesting job getting her out though. The yard have said that they're looking forward too it but that it might be easier to demolish the breakwater/berm than moving us past all the boats infront of us.

A photo from yesterday with the new antifouling done and in the first sun I've seen in what feels like months!

Z71Eix9.jpg

#49 DFL1010

DFL1010

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Looks good. What Polish did you use?

P.s. Is that a J88 (pink kite) in the background?

#50 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Surprisingly the hull has yet to be polished! The dull patch by the shrouds is sticky stuff from a Round the Island sticker, that's going to be cleaned up this week I think.

It is indeed a J88, I want to say it was Jungle Drum but my mind is telling me that it said something different on the hull.

#51 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

New antifouling. Sun is out. First sail planned. Best time of year!!!

That sounds like an almost perfect sail for what we're planning on doing Blur! Looks pretty nice too, is it a North? I'm sure most of the sails that look like that are North's, but I may be mistaken.

It's North. First version of 3Di. Some more shots on shape here: http://www.blur.se/2010/05/06/gratt-och-snabbt/

new_north_sails-12.jpg

#52 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

It's definitely an exciting time! I'm really looking forward to some racing. Hoping to get a pretty good team together for the end of next month.

Ah 3dis no ones trusted a bunch of students enough to give us those yet!

It's a nice looking shape, a friend of mine is doing CFD analysis on stuff like that for his third year project.

#53 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

More work done today as a break from dissertation work. Lovely weather in the morning! The boat is essentially in sailable condition awaiting launch early next week. The yard is going to have fun getting us out!
vMd3jmR.jpg?1
The name is on too!
HddNchS.jpg
tmlDlDl.jpg

#54 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Nice wheel, lovely hull .. illegal lifelines  <_<

You should try and open / close the secocks, they can be very sticky

#55 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

Illegal?! You wound me! I'm sure they'll be fixed soon!

Yeah sorting seacocks has been done! Along with glassing in the redundant one for the air con.

I'm currently wedged in the back of the stern locker with a small spanner.

#56 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:27 AM

Firebar - just noticed from your picture that hulls built in Europe have the engine exhaust in a different location than those built in the US.  Below is the stern of hull 266 taken after I applied the new home port decal.  That's the engine exhaust on the stbd side.  There is a similar opening on the port side for the manual bilge pump.  The vertical tube on the left (next to backstay) is for a flagstaff.

That's a nice looking J/109 you have there. I'm envious that you have warmer weather to get the boat ready to launch.  Our temperature is still below freezing in New England.

20140223_140006.jpg

#57 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:59 AM

Sounds like there's a fair few differences to the fit out in the stern. The silver through hull on stbd is the exhaust for the eberspacher, though the unit itself is still sitting at home, that's a brand new retrofit. The outlet for the manual bilge pump is a small plastic through hull that sits on stbd facing port just behind the box. It looks like you've got a metal plate above the red dataplate, shore power or similar? Our shore power is forward of the dock box and there was a fresh water shower that went where that dataplate is. As the boat is in the Solent we decided we didn't need it and the shower has become a tank drain and the hole has been fitted with a transom light for dinghying back to the boat at night (that's why I was inside that corner with a tiny spanner).

Thanks very much! We've been working hard on her! The interior is not nearly so complete as the outside but she's sailable now! She's being extracted from her hole today, staying in the slings overnight to have the antifoul patches for the props done and dried, and then being launched tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Yeah we're lucky in that it's been a fairly warm winter over here, especially compared to last year, when it actually snowed significantly in Southampton. The South of the UK doesn't really get snow as a rule, we're generally woefully unprepared for it, even a little causes a lot of chaos! However all the winter storm the states have been having come across the atlantic, being thawed by the Jetstream, and then proceed to rain on us. A lot of the country is underwater at the moment and at high tide yesterday there was only about another 18" to go before we could start floating the boat out.

#58 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Sounds like there's a fair few differences to the fit out in the stern. The silver through hull on stbd is the exhaust for the eberspacher, though the unit itself is still sitting at home, that's a brand new retrofit. The outlet for the manual bilge pump is a small plastic through hull that sits on stbd facing port just behind the box. It looks like you've got a metal plate above the red dataplate, shore power or similar? Our shore power is forward of the dock box and there was a fresh water shower that went where that dataplate is. As the boat is in the Solent we decided we didn't need it and the shower has become a tank drain and the hole has been fitted with a transom light for dinghying back to the boat at night (that's why I was inside that corner with a tiny spanner).

Thanks very much! We've been working hard on her! The interior is not nearly so complete as the outside but she's sailable now! She's being extracted from her hole today, staying in the slings overnight to have the antifoul patches for the props done and dried, and then being launched tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Yeah we're lucky in that it's been a fairly warm winter over here, especially compared to last year, when it actually snowed significantly in Southampton. The South of the UK doesn't really get snow as a rule, we're generally woefully unprepared for it, even a little causes a lot of chaos! However all the winter storm the states have been having come across the atlantic, being thawed by the Jetstream, and then proceed to rain on us. A lot of the country is underwater at the moment and at high tide yesterday there was only about another 18" to go before we could start floating the boat out.

You are correct on the metal plate above the red dataplate is the shore power connection.  The fresh water shower is in a similar position on the port side.  I have purchased speakers and had stainless brackets fabricated that will attach to the aft rail on port and stbd side.  The speakers will face forward but project outside the profile of the rail so they are not pushing into your back when leaning against the rail.  I plan on drilling a hole next to the rail and install water tight compression tubes to pass the speaker cables through.

I'm eager to get out to do some racing and cruising.  I purchased the boat last fall and only had a limited time to sail it before it was hauled for the winter.  The good news is that over the winter I've been able to accomplish many of the "inside" projects (new VHF radio with AIS, updated Nexus instrument networking with chart plotter, new stereo, wired additional 12VDC outlets, cosmetic care on woodwork, etc.).  I'm running out of inside projects and need warmer weather.  Oh... and I also still have my J/30 I plan to race this season too.  Projects for two boats!

My goal is to complete all the exterior work and bottom paining so we can launch by 15 April.  My wife and I have chartered a boat with friends in the BVIs the last two weeks in April.  When we return, the boat should be ready to sail and arrive in our slip at the marina that opens for the season on 1 May.  As I'm writing this, I look out the window and it's snowing again :-(

#59 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Yeah it seems like the stern layout was pretty much whatever the factory felt like at the time! We've got speakers on the aft edges of the cockpit seats, at least on stbd, as I kept crawling past it! The stuff on the port side sounds like a pain to get at! I mean there's room it you can get over there but that's not easy unless the rudder is out.

Looking forward to going out here too. Hoping to hitch a lift on a J111 for Frostbite series racing on Sunday, if not I'll have to wait until the spring series I suspect. Though the Student Yachting Nationals and the Youth Keelboat Nationals are both coming up very soon.

The interior on our boat is going to remain a bit of a work in progress, tidied up in dribs and drabs. We're lucky that all the instruments seem to work fine and there's a pretty comprehensive fitout, though I'm going to go through all the manuals to check they're all connected correctly and to attempt to get the Raymarine Autopilot and the B&G system to talk to each other a little and to get them both to talk to the plotter or the small gps.

I looked out the window this morning, decided I needed sunglasses, went to get them and by the time I left the house it was hailing!

#60 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

Jybe Talkin' went in the water on Tuesday morning and this afternoon my dad and I moved her up to Port Hamble from Hamble Point. Here she is in her new home, at 1745 on a lovely sunny Friday:

6ygRFcO.jpg

We have been sorting through all the bits and the plan is to go for a first sail on Sunday, with tomorrow to make sure we've got everything rigged properly.

One of the spinnakers we've got with the boat is an absolutely enormous (something like 35m2 bigger than the A2) one called a Gennaker EasyMaxi G-2. Has anyone ever flown one of these? If it's light we'll get it out over the weekend to have a look. You can see the size difference between it and the A2 in the bags here:

NCLIIXP.jpg

Of course the move from Hamble Point means I no longer get to ogle this:

ouSiIEi.jpg

#61 Blur

Blur

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

One of the spinnakers we've got with the boat is an absolutely enormous (something like 35m2 bigger than the A2) one called a Gennaker EasyMaxi G-2. Has anyone ever flown one of these? If it's light we'll get it out over the weekend to have a look. You can see the size difference between it and the A2 in the bags here:

We had what we called the "whomper"; ~140 m² A2. Pretty awesome sail up to 20 knots. Just be careful and don't try to soak to low because the best will rotate :-)

#62 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

It might well be something like that. If it is a North like the bag says it seems to cover the same area as the A1.5 and A2. They (North) call the G2 their most powerful reaching and running sail. Fingers crossed the forecast for Sunday stays as it is and we can find out!

I love how chilled out the recovery in that video is! No fuss just halyard down, jybe back, halyard up!

The lasers on board must be useful during close racing too!

#63 wam

wam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Boat looks good, seems like you have done a very good job on the restoration.

Just remember that the class kite size limit is 108 sqm, so the whomper can only be used in IRC.

#64 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

You'll notice there's no photos of the inside.........

Thanks very much, she's sailable but not quite at full inventory yet.

Yeah that's true about the kite, not sure if it's going on the IRC rating at the moment either. I think the plan is to see how it looks first! Off the top of my head its something like 138m2.

#65 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Firebar - was just winding you up on the lifelines, they should be eased for the winter. I'm in Hamble this week so will take a peak. My boat is now sold. I never found the class kite left too small but we were racing 2 handed mostly, certainly in lighter air downwind you are going to get left behind by lighter boats (heavier air too, it's the mid range downwind and particularly light/medium upwind in my view where the boat excels). The kite drops on the 109 seemed a little more sensitive to us vs 105, the kite is that bit bigger and oddly seems more likely to go in the water even though the freeboard is higher, perhaps it was just our technique. The heater is a great addition, we used ours a lot on night races and of course for general crew comfort and drying the boat out.

#66 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

Yeah heaters can be a god send! It's a pity ours is still in a box in the living room!

We got out at the weekend and it was lovely and my sister and I are taking her out tomorrow. It was nice going at 6.2 kts upwind in 6kts true (admittedly uncalibrated instruments). Absolutely beautiful day!

gRIYflo.jpg

gaJyMjc.jpg

#67 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

Firebar - I'm envious.  At least I got the winter cover off today.  Still targeting to launch before 15 April.

#68 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

I have to admit that I'm slightly baffled by how lucky this week has been with the weather! Generally pretty light, Saturday giving us some lovely 10s gusting 17s to play with too, looking like a nice start to the Warsash Spring Series on Sunday too! Contrast this to the Frostbite Series which in 8 weeks managed 2 races (on one day) having the rest blown out by winds over 35kts. Though they have got a few more in now I believe.

Good luck with that launch WHK! I'm having loads of fun, I'm sure you will too! It's been an absolute chore to keep slogging away at my dissertation rather than going for a sail!

#69 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

You may know this but just trying to be helpful.

Main is very powerful, generally you use more outhaul than you might think, on your photo you can take more. In those sort of breezes the "irc 3" inhauler system would work very well. The tack line should generally be all the way down unless soaking deep in windward - leeward, if the tack line is pointing to leeward (liken your photo) snug it down. 

#70 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Jambalaya - As a new J/109 owner I like your sail trim pointers.  For the outhaul, do you have any specifics on how much the outhaul should be taken in for various wind speeds?  I've read on SA about the inhaulers and have seen other type boats use them successfully.  I didn't need them on my J/30 because we had a cabin top track that gave a proper sheeting angle for 110% headsails.  This was in addition to the main track used with the OD 163% genoa.  How do you rig what you refer to as the "irc 3" inhauler.  I have a 145% Genoa that will be used for PHRF racing.  I'm aware we can't use an inhauler for OD with the 105% jib.

Oh... it's 17 degrees F this morning.  I took the winter cover off this week when it was 50 degrees F.  We had an inch of snow yesterday.  I'm so damn sick of winter.  Bring on spring and warmer weather for boat prep and bottom painting!

#71 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

Good advice Jambalaya, I'm not a mainsail trimmer generally! We were nicely powered up during that bit.

We're looking at inhaulers too WHK. Jambalaya has posted some photos already. And here are some of a nice set up on the J97 Induljence.

iWiInmO.jpg

qiOEUh5.jpg

#72 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

Saturday marked our first races in Jybe Talkin', we did the Interclub Youth Keelboat Nationals, placed 9th of 14 boats, not too bad for a crew that hadn't raced together before and mostly hadn't sailed 109s before! The event was won by Salvo, entered by the RORC Youth Team.

We saw noticeable improvement throughout the day, which included 2 windward leeward races and 2 round the cans races. One of the races was an experimental course base on the America's Cup reaching starts, our tactician described it as an afterguard dick waving competition at the first mark.

Our best race by far was the last, placing joint 6th with a 40.7 on corrected time, and featuring a fast reaching leg to finish, with us and Yeoman of Wight hitting around 10.5 kts on the way to the finish.

1529979_848221695194874_1926476433_o.jpg

The event threw up a few more things for the jobs list, including repainting the non-skid! A few of us nearly went over the side! Also with the instrument system now fully integrated and talking the autohelm has decided to semi pack up, taking the raymarine instruments with it. It has it's heading stuck on 248 M. It wont accept any data through the S1 computers NMEA in. If you get data in through the E80 chart plotter it refuses to display the actual heading, sticking to 248 M. It's very odd! Any ideas are welcome!

#73 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

Saturday marked our first races in Jybe Talkin', we did the Interclub Youth Keelboat Nationals, placed 9th of 14 boats, not too bad for a crew that hadn't raced together before and mostly hadn't sailed 109s before! The event was won by Salvo, entered by the RORC Youth Team.

The event threw up a few more things for the jobs list, including repainting the non-skid! A few of us nearly went over the side! Also with the instrument system now fully integrated and talking the autohelm has decided to semi pack up, taking the raymarine instruments with it. It has it's heading stuck on 248 M. It wont accept any data through the S1 computers NMEA in. If you get data in through the E80 chart plotter it refuses to display the actual heading, sticking to 248 M. It's very odd! Any ideas are welcome!

Firebar,

Congrats on the first race results.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 50 degrees so I can get some bottom painting done, with a target to launch by next Friday.

Your Raymarine symptoms appear as if the compass output or S1 computer outputs are putting out the constant heading.  The  E80 is merely displaying the bad data being received.  Do you have any other heading source available other than the Raymarine compass (e.g. a NMEA compass) ?  If so, disconnect the Raymarine compass and try the NMEA compass.  It would help if you had an interconnection diagram for your instruments.  Here is an interconnection diagram that I made to document the setup on Vento Solare.

#74 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thanks WHK! It was good to get out to race, we're off to the Nab Tower Race this weekend, going to be a few more J109s out for that, most people seem to be rated for 3s only.

Glad to hear you'll be launching soon! I've even managed to get sunburnt while racing over here!

The Raymarine issue was due to me rewiring the Multiplexer to take the Netbook we use for Nav as the RS232 source. Previously it had AIS into port 1 which set both that and the output to a 38.4K baud rate. The Raymarine will only accept 4.8K baud rate. Since I reprogrammed the Multiplexer today its seemed to work!

#75 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

Slightly behind my early desired launch date due to weather slowing the work. I will be ready to splash by 11 April if the yard can move the boats in front of me. I finished the sail drive refinish work today and moved the keel blocks to refinish the keel (sand, fair, 3 layers barrier coat, 2 coats bottom paint).

Here are before and after pictures of the sail drive (taken at purchase survey last September, and taken today)

Before - Taken at survey last September

DSC00611.JPG

After Restoration:

20140402_150907.jpg

#76 Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:59 AM

We splashed this week!  Pics in a couple of days.

#77 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

So we went out today with hopes of a reasonably solid performance, I think we did alright! 8th in IRC4, just behind fellow J/109 J'Taime (who are moored next to us). We might have done even better if not for a brief interlude on a ridge that was part of Ryde Sands, we think that probably cost us around 4 or 5 minutes in total, so at least one place. Unfortunately as I was driving I'm taking most of the blame for that one, though in my defence the depth dropped from 1.2m under the keel to bump in one go! However the rest of the race went pretty well for my first time on the helm for a race. We had a couple of minor tactical errors but all in all I think it went pretty well, we were definitely keeping up with people! Our next racing adventure will be the RORC Easter Challenge in 2 weeks!

Thankfully my wiring held out and we were getting good data both from and to our little netbook with a chartplotter on it! Used it for the waypoint data along the course.

Propellers are lots of fun! We had to replace ours, though the leg was in good shape, 'cos that could have got (even more horrifically) expensive!

Well done for getting back in the water! Best for the coming season!

#78 Flaming

Flaming

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

So we went out today with hopes of a reasonably solid performance, I think we did alright! 8th in IRC4, just behind fellow J/109 J'Taime (who are moored next to us). We might have done even better if not for a brief interlude on a ridge that was part of Ryde Sands, we think that probably cost us around 4 or 5 minutes in total, so at least one place. Unfortunately as I was driving I'm taking most of the blame for that one, though in my defence the depth dropped from 1.2m under the keel to bump in one go! However the rest of the race went pretty well for my first time on the helm for a race. We had a couple of minor tactical errors but all in all I think it went pretty well, we were definitely keeping up with people! Our next racing adventure will be the RORC Easter Challenge in 2 weeks!

You really can't use the echo sounder to prevent you from hitting Ryde sands.  It's a cliff.

Transits on the post are the only sure fire way.

#79 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

Yeah for RTI and such we'd normally do that, got a bit ambitious here, just clipped the North West corner of it. I can verify the cliff, I had the time trace of the depth and it hops straight from 0 to 1.2, I might actually, as the year progresses, keep track of all my instrument data and start compiling a depth chart. Some family friends run a dive boat and the detail they've got from their depth data is astounding.

#80 Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Firebar - when racing around Ryde Sands especially further East than typical in Spring Series (e.g. on JOG races, RTI,  2h RTI etc) we tack on 5m (below keel), we've touched on some tacks as the bottom comes up very steeply and as it's sand it moves around from year to year. Have done plenty of races where boats get stuck there, the J125 was going to smash to 2h RTI course record when they parked there doing 17 knots ! It's worth calibrating the depth by gently touching the bottom somewhere which shelves gently, e.g. Hill Head shore.

#81 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

Vento Solare finally splashed today (first boat in the marina to be launched this year!). Still a few projects to do before we fly to the BVIs for a charter, then back to sailing at home in early May.

20140410_092048.jpg

20140410_100723.jpg

#82 mustang__1

mustang__1

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,186 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

awesome!

#83 Vela Sailing Supply

Vela Sailing Supply

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

Vento Solare finally splashed today (first boat in the marina to be launched this year!). Still a few projects to do before we fly to the BVIs for a charter, then back to sailing at home in early May.

20140410_092048.jpg

20140410_100723.jpg

You guys are doing the NYYC Annual this year, aren't you?

#84 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Well we've avoided another touching the bottom incident so far! 5m sounds like a fair call Jambalaya! I can confirm that the depth sounder was happily at 0 when we were perched on the keel.17 kts to a stop sounds like it might have caused a fair few things to bend! like the wheel as the helmsman hit it!

Looking nice there WHK! that is one empty marina though! I hope you enjoy your sailing this year! As a bit of a contrast this is what the pontoon that Jybe Talkin' is on looked like on Friday.

R0t2FqV.jpg

The last weekend saw us take part in the RORC Easter Challenge, somewhat unsuccessfully. A lot of practice needs to happen with crew work and trim. And we were definitely hurt by being rated for the new sails which were supposed to have arrived nearly a month ago. The older sails were showing their age, and that we need to get the hang of trimming them properly, and get used to a asymmetric boat. On the plus side we did beat the sunsail boat (I would have actually cried) and the crew work for things such as drops was getting a lot better by the end of the weekend. Still 10th of 11 was an uncomfortable feeling, more practise required for sure!

#85 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:10 AM

And so more racing has happened for us and as I'm in exam procrastination mode I thought I'd post.

We've done the first 3 weeks of the Royal Southern Evening Series with some performances we are pretty happy with. Trading places on the water with an x362 and a j97, both of which are generally well sailed. We're looking forward to more people turning up!

msSrsrM.jpg
XYXYUhJ.jpg
Rpx2sOb.jpg

As you can see the new jib has arrived at last. It's the biggest non overlapping headsail you can fit on the boat as far as I can tell. Seems to rate us 2 pips higher than a class 3. I'm wondering what the 138 m2 kite would do to that!

Today/yesterday for me now we attempted to do the JOG Yarmouth race that was abandoned due to no wind. Looking at the forecast we had decided that anchoring was likely and fitted the bow roller the day before. It was lucky we did as someone parking a motorboat later in the evening hit it with enough force to bend the thing by about 30 degrees. That one could have been the pole or the forestay!

#86 WHK

WHK

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:32 AM

You guys are doing the NYYC Annual this year, aren't you?

Yes - we are registered for the J/109 NAs at the NYYC race week.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is our first "Race".  It's actually a family event, non-spinnaker pursuit race around Prudence Island in Narragansett Bay.  We'll eat very well during this race.  It's the first year I've done this with the J/109 instead of the J/30, and the only race my daughter does.  I'm even getting my wife to go out and race!

On Thursday we do the delivery from Newport to Hyannis for my first FIGAWI on my boat.... rather than being crew on other boats.

#87 Firebar

Firebar

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Has anyone here set up a bobstay on their 109? I know the it's illegal for class racing but as we are mostly IRCing this year it seems like a good idea. My thoughts at the moment include a large loop in one end to go through the D ring on the pole and a small loop on the other end that the stay can be fed back through to make it easily removable. I've seen a few boats feeding this through the drain holes for the anchor locker, presumable that would need some internal reinforcement and a D ring on the stem would be better.

Also any ideas on how to catch an X362 in light winds when you're not rated for overlappers, we're marginally faster and higher on the upwinds but just can't seem to gain what we loose on true leeward legs. :P

Cheers
M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users