40 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:24 AM

I've been restoring wrecks best put out of their misery for years now.  I wanna build a new fucking boat for somebody.  Not rip rotten shit out and try to fix all of the original builder fuck ups.  

Any body need a boat built?

Charlie

#2 JRC808

JRC808

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

I want build a plywood boston whaler type power skiff for under 500 bucks. But I doubt that's gonna happen.

#3 Dorado

Dorado

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

I want build a plywood boston whaler type power skiff for under 500 bucks. But I doubt that's gonna happen.

Here ya go J

You can build this one for $500

But you should probably budget an extra 13-14 K for accessories.

DSC00737x1_zps502f6974.jpg

DSC00752x1_zpse557b247.jpg

#4 WarBird

WarBird

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:18 AM

Charlie, we all want to build a boat, most of us would get 12-17 cents / hour for our effoert, your skill would get you$10.00-$15.00/hr(a guess, not an insult).  It's a rough world unless you find the perfect buyer.  Good luck!  :)

#5 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:59 AM

Charlie, we all want to build a boat, most of us would get 12-17 cents / hour for our effoert, your skill would get you$10.00-$15.00/hr(a guess, not an insult).  It's a rough world unless you find the perfect buyer.  Good luck!  :)

Sounds about like what I get for fixing the damned things after the dust settles.  At least I could do it right the first time.  You wouldn't believe the shit we see.....  Floating house corner posts for fuck's sake, Really?

#6 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  • Interests:Daysailing, local cruising and working on them.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Charlie, I'll have you build a 35' custom cold moulded Perry for me - just as soon as I get a few spare hundred $K.

Seriously - you and your boys do great looking work but I just ain't rich enough. :(

#7 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

I know that feeling.  We're fixing to do an infusion layup for the decks and house for that Mariner 31 we have completely torn apart.  Oughta be fun.

There's a tiny chance something will result from this thread in the future.

#8 lucky1954

lucky1954

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking, Sailing, Travelling and Sail making !

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

I know that feeling.  We're fixing to do an infusion layup for the decks and house for that Mariner 31 we have completely torn apart.  Oughta be fun.

I'm building a J24 in suburban Beijing city, China, now.

Please see my thread on J/boat anarchy.

#9 casc27

casc27

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

This thread reminds me of the time I met Steve Rander (of Schooner Creek Boat Works). Returning from a sail I saw Rage tied up at the marina and walked over to ogle a bit. A guy pops up from below and we start chatting and I get an invite to come aboard and check the boat out. Turns out it was Steve who had just delivered Rage Down the coast prior to a Pac Cup. During our conversation I asked if there was any money in boat building. His reply was that there was no money in building but you could make a little money fixing boats. CC, you do great work. But as soon as I saw this thread that conversation with Steve popped into my head.

#10 hard aground

hard aground

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

I still think that with all the fix the car, fix the house, etc shows on TV that you should have one fixing boats Charlie. You could be the Mike Holmes of boat repairs. ;)

#11 Remodel

Remodel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Interests:Sailboat racing and long distance cruising

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:31 AM

What on earth for?

#12 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

I still think that with all the fix the car, fix the house, etc shows on TV that you should have one fixing boats Charlie. You could be the Mike Holmes of boat repairs. ;)

+ a bunch! Get KCTS9 to do it.

#13 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

He'll have to learn how to say "this is unacceptable" with a canuckistan accent

#14 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts
  • Interests:Boats: J35, Chesapeake 20 ,Laser , 47' ChrisCraft Commander, Mainship 34, Volkl P10's 205's, Fischer Big Stix 185's, K2 Recons, K2 Xplorers, Rosi Phantoms, other boats and powder boards to be named later

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

What on earth for?

eggzackley.. my first thought.

#15 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

He'll have to learn how to say "this is unacceptable" with a canuckistan accent

As long as he doesn't say "for fucks sake" with an Amurrican accent it should be good to go.

#16 One eye Jack

One eye Jack

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • Location:Reno,Nv. San Francisco Bay , Santa Cruz,Ca. Tahoe,Nv
  • Interests:Sailing. I shot a man in Reno.. Just to watch him die..

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:14 AM

I've been restoring wrecks best put out of their misery for years now.  I wanna build a new fucking boat for somebody.  Not rip rotten shit out and try to fix all of the original builder fuck ups.  

Charlie

where are you located? Do you have cold mold uldb experience.. I'm talking about a remake of an oldy .. If interested contact me.

#17 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • Interests:Just a tinge of gray hair but you name it!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

FWIW. I knew I was not alone and so goofy. You might say my whole life has been making better out of old (boats).

Last year I decided to build something that is different...and novel...so after a long search for something that fit within my finances, etc. I decided to refurbish cast away hulls, (I know, not novel).

But, in this case, I decided to resurrect two Hobie hulls into a outrigger/proa rig, with carbon spars and maybe (down the road) foils on top and maybe even below.

LOA 20. Beam 8. 230 sq ft sail-powered proa/outrigger...

I know it is not a huge boat like a J24, but it serves the need and should be quite the boat...you might say it will end up being a modern version of the venerable Malibu Outrigger but with alternate power - the semi crab claw and a high aspect soft wing/sail combo...am about half way through...like I said, picky, creative crafting work...but not hard. And, I am saving some decent stuff from the landfill, plus, and so cheap, if one is not in a rush and does not mind refabing used parts, etc...

I have design pic on other computer, but not a biggie...much like White's "Tacking Proa" (Dragonfly-?), but un stayed semi-crab...like Seaman's MO, but not as wet and more comfy...

#18 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

Charlie

where are you located? Do you have cold mold uldb experience.. I'm talking about a remake of an oldy .. If interested contact me.

I've done some cold mold repair experience.  We did a major refit and mods to an SC-50 a while back.

#19 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

Bet this is right up Gouvernail's keel line...:-]

#20 SemiSalt

SemiSalt

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

IMHO, if you want to sell a million dollars worth of boats, you will get more profit from selling 1 luxury yacht than from selling 1000 rowboats. Supply (boatbuilders) exceeds demand (people who want a handcrafted small boat).

#21 4knotSB

4knotSB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

There's an easy way to find out. Build what you think you can sell (on spec) and then sell it.

#22 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Jeezzuss - this place is a regular Harvard Business School. :rolleyes:

#23 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

IMHO, if you want to sell a million dollars worth of boats, you will get more profit from selling 1 luxury yacht than from selling 1000 rowboats. Supply (boatbuilders) exceeds demand (people who want a handcrafted small boat).

And you might just starve waiting or worse...been in both worlds and boats like guns and bullshit are only worth the current offer...one big headache or many...decent point.

SloopJonB...need a better example. I get what you mean, but Harvard BS has too many people stealing grades and money later...Fordham or Northwestern might be better, but what the hey...

#24 bugger

bugger

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:sailing

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hey CC,

I know that my advice is worth nothing, but here goes.  I consider myself an amateur woodworker (my specialty is making messes and sawdust!).  I have had a lot of fun building things from busted up boat parts.  What have I done?

- I have turned three 16' canoes into six individual shelves (cut canoe in half, stand on end, finish with trim and put in shelves)

- I have made a 3-shelf desk paper organizer from old hatchboards

- my wife has turned old sails into bags

- etc. 

I have seen some terrific furniture (large chairs / couches) made from old motorboat transoms. 

Take a look at the junk that is around you in terms of old boats.  Go to some 'offbeat' type furniture stores.  Start building stuff. 

I have seriously considered starting a very small nautical-themed furniture business.  I think there is a market for unique, original pieces that are made from, or made to look like, boats and boat stuff.

For example, look at the stuff here:

http://www.am-living...0/smartlist_10/

and here:

http://www.am-living.../smartlist_127/

I wish you well in whatever you do.

#25 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hey CC,

I know that my advice is worth nothing, but here goes.  I consider myself an amateur woodworker (my specialty is making messes and sawdust!).  I have had a lot of fun building things from busted up boat parts.  What have I done?

- I have turned three 16' canoes into six individual shelves (cut canoe in half, stand on end, finish with trim and put in shelves)

- I have made a 3-shelf desk paper organizer from old hatchboards

- my wife has turned old sails into bags

- etc. 

I have seen some terrific furniture (large chairs / couches) made from old motorboat transoms. 

Take a look at the junk that is around you in terms of old boats.  Go to some 'offbeat' type furniture stores.  Start building stuff. 

I have seriously considered starting a very small nautical-themed furniture business.  I think there is a market for unique, original pieces that are made from, or made to look like, boats and boat stuff.

For example, look at the stuff here:

http://www.am-living...0/smartlist_10/

and here:

http://www.am-living.../smartlist_127/

I wish you well in whatever you do.

+1...never toss anything...I love it...come up to iceland here and help me fashion a deck for the s'bord hull on proa...just kidding. In hand.

#26 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

SloopJonB...need a better example. I get what you mean, but Harvard BS has too many people stealing grades and money later...Fordham or Northwestern might be better, but what the hey...

I totally agree - I used it more as a figure of speech than an example. IMO HBS and its philosophies has to take a big chunk of the blame for the current despicable state of corporate governance.

#27 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Bingo! And voters...

#28 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

Charlie

here you go Charlie

#29 Bump-n-Grind

Bump-n-Grind

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

Charlie

here you go Charlie

great vid Dread.. thanks for puttin that up

#30 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for video...I wonder how old...and if he is building today. It is -15 here at moment and he is not so far from here...if he is still with us. Guessing the Kuralt film was in 80s or early 90s.

Reminded me of video I saw called Buck...about the orig Horse Whisperer...very kewl.Bump and Dreaded. +1.

Worth another look, indeed.

Here is pic of boat retired teacher built from scratch in his back yard here in land-locked Winona...and took it to Florida to sail...he is in his 80s. What is amazing is he did from scratch, up atop the bluffs or flats in backyard, covered in plastic...and the attention to detail is nothing short of amazing, particularly around here.

Have to look him up.

I love wood, but ended up recycling the Hobie hulls for a Proa/outrigger version of the Malibu Outrigger.

Inspiring...

Attached Files

#31 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

I had a friend who built a 30' dbl ender in his back yard... 

Attached Files

#32 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

That boat is not only substantial, it is beautiful...thanks, Dreaded.

#33 SloopJonB

SloopJonB

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for video...I wonder how old...and if he is building today. It is -15 here at moment and he is not so far from here...if he is still with us. Guessing the Kuralt film was in 80s or early 90s.

He's been gone for years now.

#34 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Thanks. I wonder how it is I never brushed up against him? He worked and lived not all that far from here and I traveled that state for years and could have stopped often enough, no doubt.

Whomever sails his boats have timeless gems that deserve the best, of that there is no doubt.

#35 MauiPunter

MauiPunter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:sailing, surfing, windsurfing, scuba diving, soccer, and poker.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Id love to see a photo gallery of his creations.  Anyone have any links? Cant find anything from basic google searches.   Is his yard still operating or did it die with him?

#36 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Key in Ferd Nimphius, Neshkoro, WI., USA. Neskoro is truly in the middle of nowhere dairyland WI...at least 2 hours from Lake Michigan.

I do not know about pictures, but lots of hits...I would think the Milwaukee or Port Washington Museums may have pics of his boats.

#37 dreaded

dreaded

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

That boat is not only substantial, it is beautiful...thanks, Dreaded.

best story about him, he built a peapod rowboat in his basement and then found he couldn't get it out... I'll have to ask his son how he finally got it out...   so later on he decided to build another peapod but figured, ha, I'll scale it down , so I don't have that problem again..   when he went to test it out, the center of gravity was so high, he kept flipping over

#38 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Interesting. You have a wonderful guy who builds a boat, frames up, and...well, you know.

The gent (Thurman) who build the open double above was retired teacher and did not take it on until he was in his 80s. I have his number here and believe, if he is still sailing, he is in FL...but will call him again. He is an inspiration...cannot imagine his neighbors here dealing with the large "tent" he worked inside in his backyard...

When I met him, I was rolling by lake and saw his boat and went over to talk to him. Our water is not sailboat conducive. He was taking his first sail and could not start his newly tuned Honda 4-stroke and had to put it back on trailer...boat must have weight 5k lbs...so I helped him walk it round the dock and held it until he was able to position his trailer...amazing guy and boat, particularly here...like Ferd in Neshkoro, sort of out of place, but not...

Great stuff.

#39 CharlieCobra

CharlieCobra

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:28 AM

My kind of guy.  Would love to land a commission to build a wooden schooner.

#40 jhc

jhc

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:14 AM

You guys will like this:

#41 BobBill

BobBill

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Yep. Thanks, JHC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users