• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 parrotheadsailor

parrotheadsailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

Saw the j/27 posted on yacht world. I am on left coast, just looking for information on the boat.

#2 parrotheadsailor

parrotheadsailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/J-Boats-J-27-J27-J-27-2649780/Lower/NY/United-States#.Ur9FeWCA3cs

Here is the link to yachtworld.

My F* up.

#3 SailMoore1

SailMoore1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Sailboats

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:28 AM

Don't known any details on this boat as I am on the west coast too. The boat is one of the early boats based on the step in the cabin. Looks clean based on photos but those can be decieving. Some good things like replaced standing rigging. Most items look original like wire / rope halyards and backstay. It is definitely much cleaner than the boat I purchased a few years ago. The write up makes it sound like the sails are good but would not count on it. Price may be fair if sails are good and boat is as good as it looks. If really interested get a local surveyor to inspect. Everything can be fixed and will probably find some wet core material. All good negotiating points. Probably looking at $4 - 6K to get it to the west coast. Less if you do it yourself.

#4 Pointy End

Pointy End

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

I inquired about this boat over a month ago, not long after it was first posted on Yacht World. 

I'm down here in Florida, have been looking for a J27 for months and less than 2 minutes into the phone conversation, the listing agent talked me out of it.

#5 parrotheadsailor

parrotheadsailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thank you for the responses, I have just started my search for a j/27. Looking to day sail with my small children and race with friends. Not too many on this coast. Half the fun of owning a boat is the search.

#6 Curved Air

Curved Air

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

Some reconnaissance from someone who looked at the boat in November of this year...

"Yes, I looked at #10 High Anxiety II.  It is located at The New York Athletic Club Yacht Club in Pelham Manor, Westchester County, NY.  Quite a ritzy place!  To see it you will need to contact the broker agent, Todd Williams from McMichael 203-610-1215.  It is on a dock in the mooring area that you get to by a launch.  The owner's name is Steve Bornet. I didn't meet him.

It hasn't been raced in quite a while and has mostly daysailed the last several years.  The sails that were on the boat were dacron cruising sails.  The broker agent didn't know if there were other racing sails.  Most of the racing rigging is still on the boat, but shows signs of wear.  I didn't have a survey done, but the agent said he went over the boat with a moisture meter.  He said there were some wet spots on deck and cracking around those areas seem to indicate to me that some deck work was probably needed.  What turned me away, tho was below decks.  It appeared to me that most of the bulkhead tabbings were separating. You'd want to get a  pre-purchase survey done on this one.  There is no trailer.  Boats there are stored on jack stands.

There is another J27 at this Club on the adjacent dock, Fat Chance.  The agent said the owner of that boat might be selling soon.  It shows up on the wikispaces owner's list and there's a link to his web site. According to his web site, It has been T-boned twice and professionally repaired after each.  I was temped to contact the owner to inquire about it, but I also had no extra time to see it while I was out that way. It might be worthwhile, as it is a later hull number (above 100).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users