Sydney-Hobart vs. AC coverage on SA? Irony??

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts
  • Interests:boats, cars, girls....

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

Funny how much coverage the front page is lauding on the Aussies after totally ignoring the AC, relatively speaking?  Maybe because McConaughy is an advertiser?   Or Scot and Clean are Austrophiles??  Pretty stark contrast in the coverage.....

#2 Greyhound37

Greyhound37

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Sailing, running and wine.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Funny you should bring this up. After spending many hours following (loving it) every inch, boat, team... of the S2H race I never once watched or read anything about the AC. Cats on foils? 20 knots is too much air? What a waste. 

#3 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,062 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

...hmmm...advertiser-driven coverage,,,,,unheard-of! <_<

#4 Snaggletooth

Snaggletooth

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,324 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

...hmmm...advertiser-driven coverage pippen,,,,,unheard-of! <_<

fixte       :)

#5 Sean

Sean

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Funny how much coverage the front page is lauding on the Aussies after totally ignoring the AC, relatively speaking?  Maybe because McConaughy is an advertiser?   Or Scot and Clean are Austrophiles??  Pretty stark contrast in the coverage.....

I was thinking the same thing. The AC coverage on the FP (what little there was) was pretty pathetic. Thankfully the forums provided awesome crowd sourced coverage, better than any news source.

#6 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Funny you should bring this up. After spending many hours following (loving it) every inch, boat, team... of the S2H race I never once watched or read anything about the AC. Cats on foils? 20 knots is too much air? What a waste. 

Much as you are "above" having interest in this years AC; it will bring a paradigm shift to what some, not all, consider a pinnacle of the sport.  You really should watch some of it, truly amazing game changing stuff...

#7 couchsurfer

couchsurfer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,062 posts
  • Interests:...pimping HOOTs
    ...i550 NW circuit

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

...+1 to Sean's comment.....there was unbeatable crowd-sourced coverage for the AC....

...it's rather immaterial whether Clean travels to the closest coastline or across the world,,,

.............the TRUE coverage is still crowd-sourced

#8 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

...+1 to Sean's comment.....there was unbeatable crowd-sourced coverage for the AC....

...it's rather immaterial whether Clean travels to the closest coastline or across the world,,,

.............the TRUE coverage is still crowd-sourced

Which again points to Scot and Clean sounding like puffed up peacocks crowing about millions of individual hits.  That is us.

#9 Greyhound37

Greyhound37

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:cycling, Sailing, running and wine.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

Much as you are "above" having interest in this years AC; it will bring a paradigm shift to what some, not all, consider a pinnacle of the sport.  You really should watch some of it, truly amazing game changing stuff...
Nothing "above" about it . I have been a fan, owner and driver of race cars since 2000 but don't follow formula1. Fits
Probably just narrow minded

#10 Great_lakes_racer

Great_lakes_racer

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Can you blame them? Absolutely not, we'd all be doing the same damn thing. I have much more interest in the S2H than the AC this year. I can honestly say I didn't watch one second of the AC this year. I have zero interest in watching thos big foiling cats, but yet I watched every second of the Alpari WMRT that I could this year.... hmmm...

#11 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Whatever??  If you don't give a rats ass about the AC, why bother wasting keystrokes commenting, then?  A lot of people were totally gobsmacked by foiling cats going those speeds, and you must admit that some of the best sailors on the planet were directly involved in it.

#12 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Can you blame them? Absolutely not, we'd all be doing the same damn thing. I have much more interest in the S2H than the AC this year. I can honestly say I didn't watch one second of the AC this year. I have zero interest in watching thos big foiling cats, but yet I watched every second of the Alpari WMRT that I could this year.... hmmm...

Nothing "above" about it . I have been a fan, owner and driver of race cars since 2000 but don't follow formula1. Fits

Reason #1 and #2 why racing in the USA sucks ass.

#13 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

>Nothing "above" about it . I have been a fan, owner and driver of race cars since 2000 but don't follow formula1. Fits

Paging DoRag to the white courtesy phone.  DoRag, white courtesy phone.

#14 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,942 posts
  • Location:I'm in Sunny..-. Warm..& ..Dry San Diego . and your not :-)
  • Interests:Prime + 1 3/4

COUGARS COUGARS & More COUGARS

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

I could say that too and try to be Kool

But I'd be Lying my Ass Off  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I helped the last AC to the degree I could And then went for the 1 Race Show-Down and Had a Fucking BLAST !!!!!!!!!!!!!

but whatever

for the S2H Snob's  you just watched the Current AC-COR Win their 7th S2H

Guess they are Washed Up and downsizing to the AC Game in their Golden Years 

#15 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

>>Nothing "above" about it . I have been a fan, owner and driver of race cars since 2000 but don't follow formula1. Fits

So you hate seppos?   I don't hate anyone, but my first job as mate-cook  on a charter boat was Captained by a drunken, asshole. Aussie, who wore fucking epaulettes on a Pearson 530.  Ran us aground, and sucked the dinghy painter into the prop.  Years later he was running a big powerboat in Florida and ran the big Broward into the side of a tanker.  But I don't paint all Aussies with the same brush as that wanker.

You hate racing in the US??  We race one design and PHRF 9 mnonths of the year; I probably do a couple hundred races, Etchells, Atlantics, PHRF on a Sabrina 38, Soverel 27.  I like racing in New England in the USA.  Your mileage may vary.

Haters gonna hate.....

#16 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

>>Nothing "above" about it . I have been a fan, owner and driver of race cars since 2000 but don't follow formula1. Fits
Probably just narrow

minded

So you hate seppos?   I don't hate anyone, but my first job as mate-cook  on a charter boat was Captained by a drunken, asshole. Aussie, who wore fucking epaulettes on a Pearson 530.  Ran us aground, and sucked the dinghy painter into the prop.  Years later he was running a big powerboat in Florida and ran the big Broward into the side of a tanker.  But I don't paint all Aussies with the same brush as that wanker.

You hate racing in the US??  We race one design and PHRF 9 mnonths of the year; I probably do a couple hundred races, Etchells, Atlantics, PHRF on a Sabrina 38, Soverel 27.  I like racing in New England in the USA.  Your mileage may vary.

Haters gonna hate.....

Huh?

If you don't think there is a serious attitude problem in the US then you're not paying attention.  It has nothing to do with hating people - its about recognizing why the US sailing scene is dying and has had virtually no progress in years.  Its about the huge numbers of old stogy bastards who are stuck in their ways and inhibit anything new or different forming under the guise of "they know best" - when clearly they have no clue as to what is happening in the modern world of sailing.

#17 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

Probably just narrow

minded

Haters gonna hate.....

Huh?

If you don't think there is a serious attitude problem in the US then you're not paying attention.  It has nothing to do with hating people - its about recognizing why the US sailing scene is dying and has had virtually no progress in years.  Its about the huge numbers of old stogy bastards who are stuck in their ways and inhibit anything new or different forming under the guise of "they know best" - when clearly they have no clue as to what is happening in the modern world of sailing.

Said by a youngster who turns up his nose at the most cutting edge new sailing development in decades.  It's new and different, by your own words you should be embracing it, or at least show a tiny speck of interest?? 

How many US Sailor have you actually met or sailed with that have an attitude problem?  The ones you describe are light years different from the ones I know and race with.  We may be older and sail lead mines, but foiling cats is the future of high performance racing.  If you can't grasp that, then we are done here...

I think you have a serious ANTI-US chip on your shoulder, and perhaps therapy might help you work through that.  Get you over the anger.  Good luck!

#18 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Haters gonna hate.....

Huh?

Said by a youngster who turns up his nose at the most cutting edge new sailing development in decades.  It's new and different, by your own words you should be embracing it, or at least show a tiny speck of interest?? 

How many US Sailor have you actually met or sailed with that have an attitude problem?  The ones you describe are light years different from the ones I know and race with.  We may be older and sail lead mines, but foiling cats is the future of high performance racing.  If you can't grasp that, then we are done here...

I think you have a serious ANTI-US chip on your shoulder, and perhaps therapy might help you work through that.  Get you over the anger.  Good luck!

What are you talking about?  Are you suggesting I wasn't a supporter of the AC?????????????  Where did you get that from?

I LOVED this version of the AC and supported it FULLY!  Hell - I even flew into SF to watch it live!  

Seems you know I am right - so your only come back is to go at me personally.  Nice one - makes my point perfectly.

Photo taken by me, with my own camera - LIVE - I got lots more.

Attached File  1277353_425503757559997_620908197_o.jpg   81.57K   5 downloads

#19 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Elliot...  I guess I misunderstood your post here, to mean that you had no interest in the AC, and for that I apologize.

But I am still curious why you think sailing sucks in US; do you race here much?  We are a rural area in New England, yet proximate to New York and Boston, and we have sportboat fleets.  Wish we had skiffs like you guys, and wish I were 30 years younger to sail on them.

My point was you didn't give me good reason why sailing SUCKS in the US.  Sure, it probably is way better in many ways down under, but it certainly doesn't suck in my experience.

Cheers!!

#20 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Elliot...  I guess I misunderstood your post here, to mean that you had no interest in the AC, and for that I apologize.

But I am still curious why you think sailing sucks in US; do you race here much?  We are a rural area in New England, yet proximate to New York and Boston, and we have sportboat fleets.  Wish we had skiffs like you guys, and wish I were 30 years younger to sail on them.

My point was you didn't give me good reason why sailing SUCKS in the US.  Sure, it probably is way better in many ways down under, but it certainly doesn't suck in my experience.

Cheers!!

Again - you make my point.  Instead of looking outward, and what is happening elsewhere, you are focused inward and defending the status quo - your status quo.  You are not alone - you are typical of the US sailing scene.  Progress cannot happen when so many, especially so many who control the rules etc in the US share your preference for defending what is - rather than searching for what could be.

#21 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

Okay USA sucks!!  I'm done here...

EDIT..  I have my own anger issues, but they're directed to the Wall Street Banksters who fucked the economy 5 years ago.  Hating another countries sailing preferences is pretty much not that important....

#22 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Cheers!!

Again - you make my point.  Instead of looking outward, and what is happening elsewhere, you are focused inward and defending the status quo - your status quo.  You are not alone - you are typical of the US sailing scene.  Progress cannot happen when so many, especially so many who control the rules etc in the US share your preference for defending what is - rather than searching for what could be.

If any country led the way in what could be it is the US with Larry Ellison giving the world massive foiling cats and brilliant TV coverage.

We have plenty of good things going on. Look at the growth of J70's and Melges 20's.

Oh yeah, we also have some pretty decent moth and kite sailors. Some of our traditional classes like scows are damn quick with lots of people sailing them. Sailing here isn't as shitty as you seem to think.

Other than that go fuck yourself.

#23 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

If any country led the way in what could be it is the US with Larry Ellison giving the world massive foiling cats and brilliant TV coverage.

We have plenty of good things going on. Look at the growth of J70's and Melges 20's.

Oh yeah, we also have some pretty decent moth and kite sailors. Some of our traditional classes like scows are damn quick with lots of people sailing them. Sailing here isn't as shitty as you seem to think.

:D Too funny!  So in your desperation to show "how progressive" sailing in the US is - you use a J70 as an example.  Fuck me is right. :rolleyes:  

#24 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

Cheers!!

If I am not mistaken, the Kiwis were foiling before we were?  They peaked early, and Oracle improved dramatically in optimizing foil control, and Ainslie replacing Slingsby?? or whoever, was brilliant. 

Why do people have to put down other countries?  It's like fighting over Ford is better than Chevy, or Manchester U is better than another football team.  We are all human beings with a helluva lot more in common than not.

But, as I noted above;  HATERS GONNA HATE...

#25 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

Cheers!!

If I am not mistaken, the Kiwis were foiling before we were?  They peaked early, and Oracle improved dramatically in optimizing foil control, and Ainslie replacing Slingsby?? or whoever, was brilliant. 

Why do people have to put down other countries?  It's like fighting over Ford is better than Chevy, or Manchester U is better than another football team.  We are all human beings with a helluva lot more in common than not.

Yeah kiwis were first but the trophy goes to who wins the regatta...;) yeah these dipshit haters, whatever. They all think their way is best. Last i looked anyone having fun sailing whatever is a good thing.

Notice he didn't respond to the fact that an American won the Moth Worlds and the Heinekens basically own kiteboarding.

Sad thing is i love Australia and 99% of the Aussies I meet. Elliott is just one asshole. Maybe he's the Bull Gator of Australia.

#26 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

Cheers!!

Yeah kiwis were first but the trophy goes to who wins the regatta... ;) yeah these dipshit haters, whatever. They all think their way is best. Last i looked anyone having fun sailing whatever is a good thing.

Notice he didn't respond to the fact that an American won the Moth Worlds and the Heinekens basically own kiteboarding.

Sad thing is i love Australia and 99% of the Aussies I meet. Elliott is just one asshole. Maybe he's the Bull Gator of Australia.

Or maybe he's like the drunken Aussie "Captain Ron", who I abandoned in Bermuda in '79, after taking his flashy epaulettes and tossing them in the dust bin.

Just kidding, Elliott!!  I only have hate for some in the government, and Wall Street banksters; I'm sure I would enjoy sailing with you, or having a round at the bar!!

Cheers!! 

#27 readyabout82

readyabout82

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:boots with the furrrrrr

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

This thread has about as much value as the original rant complaining about apparent preferential event coverage. I guess some people constantly need things to complain about....

#28 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

What are you on about now?  Sure - there some good sailors from the US - no doubt.  I think you even had 1 on your AC team!  :D

This isnt about putting anyone, or another country down.  The fact you see it that way thou, is decidedly an American trait.   :rolleyes:

This is about pointing out there is an issue - and that issue is largely attitude.

I have spent 10yrs racing in the PNW, and about that in AUS, and unfortunately for my sailing life anyway - I am now back (I was born here and am Aussie by choice/immigration).  So I have a personal interest in seeing things turn around - but this thread is a perfect example of why it never does.

Before I went to AUS I thought things were fine here too - then I had my eyes opened.

#29 DRIFTW00D

DRIFTW00D

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

ah, Hi Jack

You have A good point. The fastest bad ass boats I see latley are imports from down under. Take the last BG world tour stop here on Lake Huron. They assembled her on the hard here. OMFG!

Then its back to a Real Race Club full of 20 to 30+ year old Cruise Racers.

I get depressed thinking about the hull shapes I see when they are pulled.

Seemes the job problems are some of the blame here in the rust belt.

Don't get me wrong I've trained lots of people new to sailing. Winning crews for decades. Most can't sail just do things that need to be done very well. Tallent goes on the bow if avalable. We have fun kick and ass some times.

#30 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

What are you on about now?  Sure - there some good sailors from the US - no doubt.  I think you even had 1 on your AC team!  :D

This isnt about putting anyone, or another country down.  The fact you see it that way thou, is decidedly an American trait.   :rolleyes:

This is about pointing out there is an issue - and that issue is largely attitude.

I have spent 10yrs racing in the PNW, and about that in AUS, and unfortunately for my sailing life anyway - I am now back (I was born here and am Aussie by choice/immigration).  So I have a personal interest in seeing things turn around - but this thread is a perfect example of why it never does.

Before I went to AUS I thought things were fine here too - then I had my eyes opened.

You said sailing sucks here; I just asked that you tell me reasons.  Specifics??  Not generalizations that a bunch of old farts won't change.  Most sailors I race with don't have YOUR attitude that someone elses SOMETHING SUCKS.  It's immature.....  Cheers anyway!!   :D

#31 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

Elliot7 Shame on you, more assimilation required!

Rule No1 when a loud ass American preaches you just agree. Otherwise we may get over run & PHRS racing strangling the good ol time performance handicap and manic One Design take up doing windward leewards...  wait! ...   Doh!

#32 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

You said sailing sucks here; I just asked that you tell me reasons.  Specifics??  Not generalizations that a bunch of old farts won't change.  Most sailors I race with don't have YOUR attitude that someone elses SOMETHING SUCKS.  It's immature.....  Cheers anyway!!   :D

Specifics:

• low turnout at events
  • slow old boring boats
  • poor volunteer support
  • limited youth involvement
  • limited social scene "pre-post" racing and all points inbetween
  • limited "new people" coming into sailing
  • etc
  •  

#33 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

Aussie Rules:

No1 Do not argue with Americans

No2 Do not argue with drunk Poms & Irish

No3 Do not argue with Lebs without plenty of mates around you.

No4 A glass is never half full... just time for whoever it is shout, to get the next round!

#34 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Elliot7 Shame on you, more assimilation required!

Rule No1 when a loud ass American preaches you just agree. Otherwise we may get over run & PHRS racing strangling the good ol time performance handicap and manic One Design take up doing windward leewards...  wait! ...   Doh!

:D

#35 readyabout82

readyabout82

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

Okay really what is it with Aussies and Lebbos? Does John Oliver have it right?

#36 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

<p>

Specifics:
  • low turnout at events
  • slow old boring boats
  • poor volunteer support
  • etc
  •  

Seeing as you have your mind made up I'm not going to refute you point by point other than to say you made some unsupported generalizations that aren't exactly correct.

If people want to sail old slow boats how does that hurt you? If that is what they enjoy why is it bad?

Why don't you tell us what are the appropriate solutions considering all the local factors in play.

#37 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

Many are basically the stooge employees of the Hells Angels for "angel dust" & do all kinds of crazy stuff with guns & knives, mostly they will only hunt in packs but if caught alone will mysteriously be bailed out by a dozen or more "brahs" appearing :)

#38 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

<p>

Specifics:
  • low turnout at events
  • slow old boring boats
  • poor volunteer support
  • etc
  •  

Seeing as you have your mind made up I'm not going to refute you point by point other than to say you made some unsupported generalizations that aren't exactly correct.

If people want to sail old slow boats how does that hurt you? If that is what they enjoy why is it bad?

Why don't you tell us what are the appropriate solutions considering all the local factors in play.

Well first - many people don't sail old slow boats by choice - they are forced to by local rules of eligibility.  Step 1 - change that.

But you are right - "local factors" as you named them prevent that.  Why?  Attitude of those fighting to maintain status quo and prevent progress.  I think a lot of people in the US are just like you and take any suggestions for improvement as a personal attack.

#39 readyabout82

readyabout82

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

Many are basically the stooge employees of the Hells Angels for "angel dust" & do all kinds of crazy stuff with guns & knives, mostly they will only hunt in packs but if caught alone will mysteriously be bailed out by a dozen or more "brahs" appearing :)

Angel dust? Didn't that fad end in the 90's? Well at any rate thanks for clarifying.

#40 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

#BREAKING!!! Fox reports via skynews that  *"planeists" are attempting to steal valuable minds away from 420 & FJ and even more alarmingly a despicable few may be planted among the unsuspecting to re shape opinions and proven values  such as the J24 are not a sports boat. If anyone displays or even knows of someone loony rambling about performance craft in such a manner please email this station or phone into our toll line hotline!

* A Planeist is someone more evil that a climate alarmist warmist, who feels the need to break free of the waters god given viscosity and go fastwer than 6 knots!

Angel dust? Didn't that fad end in the 90's? Well at any rate thanks for clarifying.

Ice Ice baby haha

#41 HILLY

HILLY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Looking forward to seeing the "foiling, pinnacle; game changing" face of sailing, running into the cold hard reality of sailing...

Attached File  vo 70 syd to hob.jpg   73.43K   15 downloads

Attached File  swan 86 syd to hobart.jpg   68.15K   15 downloads

The A.C. is great if you like your sailing in 45 min. bites.

The Hobart race is available to anyone who has a sea safety survival cert, first aid cert, and a big plus, a radio operators cert.

Next year is the 70th, so why not get a few friends come down charter a boat and compete in this classic ANNUAL event. 

#42 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Specifics:

• low turnout at events
  • slow old boring boats
  • poor volunteer support
  • etc
  •  

Where I sail out of three different local clubs, none of those things are true, except that our Etchells fleet has dwindled some.  For winter and fall Frostbite racing, we have a high school team borrowing 420's from another club, which is NEW PEOPLE involved that happened just two years ago.  And many sailors socialize after every race.  We have a cadre of volunteers, year after year.  We have lots of boats competing, in spite of the fact that we are very rural area, some travelling dozens of miles from Rhode Island or Fairfield Count.

You can't characterize an entire nations racing scene based on one area where you sailed for ten years.  Sorry for them.  If you ever come to New England, I will show you, and I'd bet a hundred quid that you will have a good time.

As to slow boats; yes many of us are older.  I crewed a bit on a Melges 24, but I am no longer limber or fast enough for a sportboat, unless I am driving, which is not in my budget at this time.  So, I like the Etchells, Atlantics and perf boats that are available and eager to have me as trimmer, and for my tactical input.  As I said before, I would love to be 25 or 30 again and race your skiffs, but that is not an option.,

Cheers again, anyway...

#43 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

Looking forward to seeing the "foiling, pinnacle; game changing" face of sailing, running into the cold hard reality of sailing...

attachicon.gifvo 70 syd to hob.jpg

attachicon.gifswan 86 syd to hobart.jpg

The A.C. is great if you like your sailing in 45 min. bites.

The Hobart race is available to anyone who has a sea safety survival cert, first aid cert, and a big plus, a radio operators cert.

Next year is the 70th, so why not get a few friends come down charter a boat and compete in this classic ANNUAL event. 

s

I would love to do that, but not within my budget, unfortunately.  I think there are ONLY two things on my bucket list.  S2H and St. Maarten Heinecken..

#44 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

<p>

Specifics:
  • low turnout at events
  • slow old boring boats
  • poor volunteer support
  • etc
  •  

Well first - many people don't sail old slow boats by choice - they are forced to by local rules of eligibility.  Step 1 - change that.

But you are right - "local factors" as you named them prevent that.  Why?  Attitude of those fighting to maintain status quo and prevent progress.  I think a lot of people in the US are just like you and take any suggestions for improvement as a personal attack.

Not taking it as a personal attack, merely an uninformed generalization.  If I were to say Aussie footballers suck without giving any specific reason, you or one of your mates would call me out for an explanation.  That is all that I did here... 

I would give my left nut to be young again and have a fleet of 18 footers, but it aint gonna happen.

#45 sunseeker

sunseeker

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

<p>

Specifics:
  • low turnout at events
  • slow old boring boats
  • poor volunteer support
  • etc
  •  

You have no idea who I am or exactly what I have done to change the status quo on both a national and international basis. I very much like progress and change but that doesn't mean everyone had to change.

What I have limited tolerance for are asshole foreigners with little specific knowledge of the complexity of the US sailing scene who criticize because of some perceived slight for their favored part of the sport.

Mostly there is nothing preventing anyone from doing anything. Some events don't want something like cats in them so what, start your own event.

I don't take your comments as a personal attack I just don't like morons who toss shit and who are wrong.

#46 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

Where I sail out of three different local clubs, none of those things are true, except that our Etchells fleet has dwindled some.  For winter and fall Frostbite racing, we have a high school team borrowing 420's from another club, which is NEW PEOPLE involved that happened just two years ago.  And many sailors socialize after every race.  We have a cadre of volunteers, year after year.  We have lots of boats competing, in spite of the fact that we are very rural area, some travelling dozens of miles from Rhode Island or Fairfield Count.

You can't characterize an entire nations racing scene based on one area where you sailed for ten years.  Sorry for them.  If you ever come to New England, I will show you, and I'd bet a hundred quid that you will have a good time.

As to slow boats; yes many of us are older.  I crewed a bit on a Melges 24, but I am no longer limber or fast enough for a sportboat, unless I am driving, which is not in my budget at this time.  So, I like the Etchells, Atlantics and perf boats that are available and eager to have me as trimmer, and for my tactical input.  As I said before, I would love to be 25 or 30 again and race your skiffs, but that is not an option.,

Cheers again, anyway...

Mate,

You don't get it.  You aren't listening.

You provided no numbers - but here is some for you to give you some perspective.

In the CYCA Winter Series (which is known more of a "fun series") it gets the following numbers reliably each week for the series (13weeks long) - year in and year out.

• Boats on the start line each week - 140 approx. spread over 16 or so divisions (and these are all keel boats - not dinghys)

• People who show up for the volunteer breakfast before the races - 100-200

• People who go to the club bar after the race each week - 300-400

and

• Melges 24 - is a "mid pack" sport boat in AUS when compared based purely on the water performance (obviously they hold their own on handicap) but on the water - lots of AUS/NZ boats of +/- the same size beat them pretty easily. 

Here is a pic to give you a sense of what its like - this is from about 3 years ago I think.  The little boat in front is a Magic 25, one of the smaller ones in the fleet (the smallest is 23ft) and the white boat behind is one of the biggest (although WOXI has shown up in for a race in the past), the black boat is VO60.

Attached File  Alt__MG_9027 as Smart Object1 small.jpg   66.08K   22 downloads

#47 Elliot7

Elliot7

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

Specifics:
  • low turnout at events
  • slow old boring boats
  • poor volunteer support
  • etc
  •  

You have no idea who I am or exactly what I have done to change the status quo on both a national and international basis. I very much like progress and change but that doesn't mean everyone had to change.

What I have limited tolerance for are asshole foreigners with little specific knowledge of the complexity of the US sailing scene who criticize because of some perceived slight for their favored part of the sport.

Mostly there is nothing preventing anyone from doing anything. Some events don't want something like cats in them so what, start your own event.

I don't take your comments as a personal attack I just don't like morons who toss shit and who are wrong.

:lol: So...what makes the US sailing scene so complex???

Isn't everyone on the same page, pulling the in the same direction? 

Or is it full of people like you protecting the status quo?  :rolleyes:

#48 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Cheers again, anyway...

Mate,

You don't get it.  You aren't listening.

You provided no numbers - but here is some for you to give you some perspective.

In the CYCA Winter Series (which is known more of a "fun series") it gets the following numbers reliably each week for the series (13weeks long) - year in and year out.

• Boats on the start line each week - 140 approx. spread over 16 or so divisions (and these are all keel boats - not dinghys)
  • People who show up for the volunteer breakfast before the races - 100-200
  • People who go to the club bar after the race each week - 300-400

and

• Melges 24 - is a "mid pack" sport boat in AUS when compared based purely on the water performance (obviously they hold their own on handicap) but on the water - lots of AUS/NZ boats of +/- the same size beat them pretty easily. 

Here is a pic to give you a sense of what its like - this is from about 3 years ago I think.  The little boat in front is a Magic 25, one of the smaller ones in the fleet (the smallest is 23ft) and the white boat behind is one of the biggest (although WOXI has shown up in for a race in the past), the black boat is VO60.

attachicon.gifAlt__MG_9027 as Smart Object1 small.jpg

I am listening, and I DO get it!  If I could, I might move there in a New York Minute, but I have an 80 year old Mom and rental properties to look after that are anchoring me here.  Can you get me a decent paying job there?  I'm 58 and no college degree, but ran a successful company for 28 years until 2008 when the economy tanked.  Who do you know that will hire me with decent wages?  And will immigration even let me in? I know there is an age limit to get into N-zed; dunno about OZ?

Of course there is far more sailing in the Sydney metro area of 4.6 million people!  There are only 6,000 souls in this small town and most abutting towns don't have more than twice that, except for the summer beach cottages, and a thousand boat slips that are mostly used as summer cottages also.

My point is that you are being a complete ass to say that "ALL racing sailing in the US sucks".  It does not, period, end of story..... No more CHEERS; just fuck off now..

#49 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

Bitch, Bitch, ......... Whine, Whine, Whine,.... Key ryst!!!  S2H was AWesome!!  ,........  AC35 was AweSOme.........  ,  SA goes where the cash helps them go, Larry didn't pay up,  McConaghys did,  very simple, very easy, very much fun.  Life is never as complex as pontificating non-essential over analysis.

#50 billy backstay

billy backstay

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,692 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

AC 35 was awesome?  You must be "back from the future"....LOL

#51 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,942 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:17 AM

perhaps Lebbos (?) get a root an Aussies get a Rue  - Guessing :)  

#52 dolphinmaster

dolphinmaster

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

AC 35 was awesome?  You must be "back from the future"....LOL

Gotcha! :)

#53 atefooterz

atefooterz

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

^ Is that about the Lebbo rape packs? Nov 21, 2013 - A Lebanon man who repeatedly raped an 11-year-old girl and gave her a sexually transmitted disease was sentenced Thursday to 22 to 60 ... Oct 31, 2013 - A 26-year-old Lebanon man has been charged with raping a 4-year-old girl,... Skaf brothers " is an Australian serial gang rapist who led groups of Lebanese Australian men who committed gang rape attacks against women in Sydney in 2000"  http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Bilal_Skaf ??

#54 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,942 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:41 AM

^ Is that about the Lebbo rape packs? Nov 21, 2013 - A Lebanon man who repeatedly raped an 11-year-old girl and gave her a sexually transmitted disease was sentenced Thursday to 22 to 60 ... Oct 31, 2013 - A 26-year-old Lebanon man has been charged with raping a 4-year-old girl,... Skaf brothers " is an Australian serial gang rapist who led groups of Lebanese Australian men who committed gang rape attacks against women in Sydney in 2000"  http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Bilal_Skaf ??

quite a stretch - i was guessing a Typo 

but whatever

#55 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,315 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:14 AM

#56 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Whoa we,

That was the most spectacular Sydney Hobart I ever saw. What I like most is that accoording to line honour list every body is finished before new year.

I remember races that the less fast yacht were 3 weeks underway. Not to mention the disaster race where Tycoon Larry won. He can't help it he is good.

Still waiting for the anti coup where the dograce lawsuit is held in Paris. Would be change of tradition. good. Le histoire se ne pas se repeter.

#57 DUBLIN-13

DUBLIN-13

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

Way SA has been going on youd think there was only maxis in the race. Fuck all coverage of the smaller boats but suppose though you got keep the sponsors happy and have a wankfest over their boat and fuck everyone else

#58 Slim

Slim

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • Interests:Skype: slim_joel

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Way SA has been going on youd think there was only maxis in the race. Fuck all coverage of the smaller boats but suppose though you got keep the sponsors happy and have a wankfest over their boat and fuck everyone else

If you looked you'd see they did cover the smaller boats including even the 50 footer Victoire. Geez!

#59 DA-WOODY

DA-WOODY

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,942 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

If you looked you'd see they did cover the smaller boats including even the 50 footer Victoire. Geez!

come on now - he's on a roll  ;)

#60 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Happy newyear everybody,

He is the latest Joke from Holland.

http://subscriber.e-...tiemnieuwsQ.gif

Exploding bathduck. Whaaaaa

#61 schakel

schakel

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Hi Slim,

You mean this beauty?

lead-20victoire-20131230203949788267-620

Good for Victoire!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users