132 replies to this topic

#1 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Anybody know of any new boats in build that will have the one design keel and mast?

#2 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Bernard Stamm might have one in build soon if he can find the money/it comes quick from the insurers

#3 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

The new rules have just been voted 2 weeks ago and before building a boat you first have to ... design it!

Besides, although masts and keels will be standardized, I haven't seen any announcement about the details.

#4 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Two of the existing (surviving ;)) main French teams have apparently launched design/build programs.

No further news

#5 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Two of the existing (surviving ;)) main French teams have apparently launched design/build programs.
No further news

Interesting, from the outside imoca is looking like a class in decline, curious to how many boats are going to get built this cycle.

#6 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

No further news

Interesting, from the outside imoca is looking like a class in decline, curious to how many boats are going to get built this cycle.

Class health is directly linked to money available, while the the VG impact remains huge (topping Google searches in France in 2013).
Both these team-owners have piles of dough and never won the VG ;)

#7 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

No further news

Class health is directly linked to money available, while the the VG impact remains huge (topping Google searches in France in 2013).

Who would that be now? 

Maitre Coq wouldn't surprise me, Beyou seems like a good bet, who else? Hardly Bureau Vallee?

#8 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Leisure sailing for 35 years with anything windpowered from Hobies to Classic Keelboats

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

No further news

Who would that be now? 

Maitre Coq wouldn't surprise me, Beyou seems like a good bet, who else? Hardly Bureau Vallee?

Banque Populaire announced they would be back for the 2016 VG with a new boat for Armel le Cleac'h. They are currently focusing on their solo ultim tri program and bode their time for the IMOCA for an in depth study of the impact of the new rules.

The only deep French pockets left who never won the VG are Safran and ... JP Dick. (The later would surprise me, he clearly seemed having had enough of solo racing.)

The only non-French who I see could get the cash is Alex Thomson. (Really not sure the Sandoz family would be willing to go any further with IMOCA boats after the Cheminées nightmare.)

Beyou is a great sailor but Maitre Coq does not have "piles of dough".

#9 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

As long as the IMOCA OPEN 60 is the boat of choice for the vendee the class will have be ok.

There are a few guys keen from the States for the Vendee isn't there?

Richard someone, great American.

Ryan Breimayer - reported on front page he THE famous Yves Parlier boat!

Ronnie Simpson

And then the guy who won the Ostar on the cruiser / racer.

No Aussies but. Anyone fancy sponsoring me :-)

#10 moody frog

moody frog

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,646 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

No further news

Who would that be now? 

Banque Populaire announced they would be back for the 2016 VG with a new boat for Armel le Cleac'h. They are currently focusing on their solo ultim tri program and bode their time for the IMOCA for an in depth study of the impact of the new rules.

The only deep French pockets left who never won the VG are Safran and ... JP Dick. (The later would surprise me, he clearly seemed having had enough of solo racing.)
The only non-French who I see could get the cash is Alex Thomson. (Really not sure the Sandoz family would be willing to go any further with IMOCA boats after the Cheminées nightmare.)

Beyou is a great sailor but Maitre Coq does not have "piles of dough".

;) :) :) Dr Watson !

#11 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts
  • Interests:.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Alex is building a boat for sure.  Banque Pop not for sure but 90% likely.

#12 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

there are 3 confirmed new builds.  They will all have the one design rigs and keels.  At the general meeting there was a discussion about keels.  All of the top boats in the fleet have gotten or will get the forged keels in the next few months.  They have the right to keep their original masts.

#13 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

there are 3 confirmed new builds.  They will all have the one design rigs and keels.  At the general meeting there was a discussion about keels.  All of the top boats in the fleet have gotten or will get the forged keels in the next few months.  They have the right to keep their original masts.

Do you know if Spirit of Hungary will get onedesign keel/mast or not?
http://spiritofhungary.hu

#14 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Sailing.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Spirit of Hungary was put on hold for a little while, waiting for the new rules to be passed. I think she's going with the OD keel/mast.

#15 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  • Interests:stuff with sails

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

I think the new rules will make older boats more valuable. The large number of new boats built two Vendee cycles ago means there are quite a few relatively lightly used older boats out there. Of course I could be completely wrong.

#16 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

I think the new rules will make older boats more valuable. The large number of new boats built two Vendee cycles ago means there are quite a few relatively lightly used older boats out there. Of course I could be completely wrong.

The grandfathering clause could make these very competitive- I hear Gamesa is one that is far more powerful than the current rules allow. 

Will be interesting to see.

#17 Evan Stufflebeam

Evan Stufflebeam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

Alex Thomson has sailed VP3 with his BWR partner Pepe Ribes, wouldn't be surprised if he buys it, or if he already has.

Attached Files

#18 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

Alex Thomson has sailed VP3 with his BWR partner Pepe Ribes, wouldn't be surprised if he buys it, or if he already has.

It was bought by the BWR organizers and will be raced in the NY-Barcelona and BWR by Alex and Pepe with HB sponsorship.

#19 Evan Stufflebeam

Evan Stufflebeam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

What is he using in the VG? I would assume he'd want that boat after so much time on it.

#20 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

What is he using in the VG? I would assume he'd want that boat after so much time on it.

According to Clean he's having a new one built.

#21 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

AFAIK that's a major part of his re-up with Hugo Boss; a new boat for the next vendee.

#22 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

There is a contingent who reckon that you could create a faster boat by modifying an older more powerful one, but do not underestimate the power of the architects to create a faster new design.  They were saying at the AGM that the new design would be between 5 hours faster over the vendee course to 2-3% faster overall, which is a big difference....

You can be sure that a new boat optimised to the rule will be faster than an old one which has been modified.  The lower drag hull shape will be the first point, as IMOCA designs all have more than enough power, and drag reduction is the main avenue left to explore.  Add that to the ability to put lateral water ballast tanks where you want, and you have a very lightweight low drag concept compared to the old boats, with more or less the same sail area.

#23 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

There is a contingent who reckon that you could create a faster boat by modifying an older more powerful one, but do not underestimate the power of the architects to create a faster new design.  They were saying at the AGM that the new design would be between 5 hours faster over the vendee course to 2-3% faster overall, which is a big difference....

You can be sure that a new boat optimised to the rule will be faster than an old one which has been modified.  The lower drag hull shape will be the first point, as IMOCA designs all have more than enough power, and drag reduction is the main avenue left to explore.  Add that to the ability to put lateral water ballast tanks where you want, and you have a very lightweight low drag concept compared to the old boats, with more or less the same sail area.

Regarding the lateral ballasts, can older boats be retrofitted with these? (And then take weight out of the keel bulb)?

Not sure it makes sense, just wondering what alterations are allowed.

#24 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

I think that newer boats being faster is a good thing for the class. It will encurage ongoing investment and development whilst the performance difference does not sound so great that the value of older boats gets destroyed. Glad to hear that there arevafew being built.

#25 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

Yes, older boats can retrofit.

#26 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

As long as the IMOCA OPEN 60 is the boat of choice for the vendee the class will have be ok.

Ronnie Simpson

For the record, I stated on the front page that it is a "young French Skipper" who has the Parlier boat.   That program just happens to be in my town in Brittany and I thought people would be interested in the boat.

I have not got a boat nor a sponsor for the moment.

#27 SCANAS

SCANAS

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Water and Mud

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Ronnie Simpson

For the record, I stated on the front page that it is a "young French Skipper" who has the Parlier boat.   That program just happens to be in my town in Brittany and I thought people would be interested in the boat.

I have not got a boat nor a sponsor for the moment.

My apologies. Thanks for bringing the mistake to my attention and the rest of the readers if I got them confused. Certainly happy to here any more news from that campaign and any progress you make with a boat or sponsor of your own.

Thanks Again,

SCANAS

#28 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Yes, older boats can retrofit.

Ok thanks. Methinks VPPs are going to work overtime in the next few months while designers try to see to what extent their older designs can be boosted :)

#29 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Spirit of Hungary keel: (is it new one-design?)

1010535_281638468660113_1104178926_n.jpg

#30 Andres Aavik

Andres Aavik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Whoa! I wonder what milling something that large would cost....

#31 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Fuck me! That's an impressive picture. 

Pretty cool to get an insight into the build like that.

Thanks for posting!

#32 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Spirit of Hungary keel: (is it new one-design?)

1010535_281638468660113_1104178926_n.jpg

source please forss!?

#33 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

Spirit of Hungary Ocean Sailing Project - 60 foot racing boat facebook page
Link to pic itself

and 3.1 tons of lead

1560729_280261298797830_557137261_n.jpg

#34 Mash

Mash

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

No further news

As usual, Moody was right on the money (no pun intended) : Banque Populaire and Safran officially announced today that they were joining forces in the development of their new boats ( http://www.ouest-fra...socient-1886108 ). From the press thing, the extend of said collaboration is not clear: sister ships, common R&D or whatever, it's not specified ("we're happy to collaborate to share costs, risks and efforts" is a bit vague at this point). 

Maybe somebody has some more precise info, now that the cat's officially out of the bag ?

M.

#35 oioi

oioi

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Good news - seb josse is back for another go at the vendee, but not decided whether in a new boat or modified existing.

#36 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Figaro young-gun Morgan Lagraviere will skipper Safran's new boat for the next Vendee, taking over from Guillemot after the Route du Rhum

#37 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Is there anything public about Seb?  My IMOCA-radar didn't go off on that one.

#38 edouard

edouard

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

^^ According to the VG website it's under the colors of Gitana.

http://www.vendeeglo...up-in-2016.html

#39 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Is there anything public about Seb?  My IMOCA-radar didn't go off on that one.

Press release was out today from Gitana

#40 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thanks Potter and Ed

#41 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'm going to get on a soapbox here and say it:

If a scow 60 isn't being at least studied for this new generation of IMOCAs, than designers are being willfully ignorant. It at least has to be considered. (plus I want to see what it would look like).

#42 Panoramix

Panoramix

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

One of the reason behind the new keels was that these had to be changed after each VG, so with the transats, there probably aren't that many old keels fit for 2016.

#43 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

I'm going to get on a soapbox here and say it:

If a scow 60 isn't being at least studied for this new generation of IMOCAs, than designers are being willfully ignorant. It at least has to be considered. (plus I want to see what it would look like).

Pretty sure they outlawed it

#44 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:34 PM

Yep - there is a max width for O60 rule for the first few meters from the bow.

#45 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

That's a shame. Thanks for the info.

#46 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

I'd say Macif/Maitre Coq will be the closest you'll get in terms of actual bow volume

#47 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

It will be interesting to see the new hulls and if anything gets "creative" forward of that max beam point.

#48 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

The old Farr designed Foncia, now MARE has done a larger bow with VPLP to the limit of size available in the new rule.  We should see what happens when they put it in the water in a couple weeks.

#49 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Interesting. Have you seen what they've done?

#50 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

No one has outside CDK.

#51 Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Attached File  bild55.jpg   333.06K   359 downloads

#52 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

That looks very stubby- impressive!

How did you get that pic?

Impressive stuff!

#53 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

That's what I meant by getting creative in front of that max beam point. I think we are seeing what the new hulls will look like.

#54 Who's your daddy

Who's your daddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Looks like an odd way of saving money

#55 r.finn

r.finn

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

It also looks a bit like the submarine on the hard in Lorient.

#56 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

"Safran and Banque Populaire have already announced they will be using the same mould to build their new monohulls."

http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/news/article/14208/1000-days-to-go-to-the-start-of-the-eighth-vendee-globe.html 

#57 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

I really have to wonder if that is meant to be the final shape, beefy looking carbon skins?

#58 Cotton

Cotton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

That looks very stubby- impressive!

How did you get that pic?

Impressive stuff!

You can find some more pictures of fitting the new bow section here

#59 aquila

aquila

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Sailing - what did you expect?

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

i'm not sure this one design keel and mast is a good idea, how often are they going to update the design? and as for the mats are they fixed or rotating? i really wonder how this will work long term.

#60 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

both fixed and rotating are available for OD

#61 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

That is something I don't really get- you'd think for OD they'd confine you to one- because at the end of the day one will be faster than the other.

#62 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

every dog has its day.  the important part about the mast and keel was not to equalize performance, but to maximize reliability and stop the  huge attrition rate that results from an unchecked design war.

#63 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

That is something I don't really get- you'd think for OD they'd confine you to one- because at the end of the day one will be faster than the other.

http://www.imoca.org...eclassrules.pdf

Drawings for masts & keel.

Great drawings of details.

#64 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts
  • Interests:Sailing. Classic Yachts. Following what's happening in development classes.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

So the battle for supremacy between rotating and fixed masts continues.

Does that suggest no definitive result in terms of dismasting stats - or a stalemated battle fought over favourites?

#65 Potter

Potter

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

As far as I understand it the rotating rigs are generally more successful (in the longer races), but also less reliable.  Your choice!

#66 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

It's a French vs non-French thing and depends on designer and the sailor who originally acquires the boat... The exception to that was JPD on his last boat that was conventionally rigged IIRC. I'm not surprised that they have specced each as there are people who are adamant either way

#67 bruno

bruno

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the rules link, interesting. I noticed the questions and drawings for the dss, the double bilgeboarder arrangement is a new wrinkle that might be more durable at sea, loads would be less aligned of course.

#68 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

New photos from Hungary

1911921_289093274581299_1152627613_o.jpg

1801404_289096714580955_1816032421_o.jpg

1911952_289096704580956_955584210_o.jpg

#69 rantifarian

rantifarian

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

That milled fin is pure engineering porn

#70 Who's your daddy

Who's your daddy

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

That bulb looks huge for an IMOCA boat.

#71 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

Looks pretty normal to me, esp when you compare them in pics relative to the size of the boat- people seem to forget how big theses boats are!

Anyone know what the story is with spirit of Hungary? Designer etc

#72 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Looks pretty normal to me, esp when you compare them in pics relative to the size of the boat- people seem to forget how big theses boats are!

Skipper Nándor Fa is designer.
http://spiritofhungary.hu/the-boat/

He have raced several times around the world.
2 vendees and other ocean races.

#73 Royal Flush

Royal Flush

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Conventional daggerboards compared to the current and coming generation of Imoca's

#74 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

Any information about Acciona?
Repaired or not? Jesus Renedo?

#75 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

1010781_639722792729451_196843577_n.jpg

From Jérémie Beyou's Facebook page

#76 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Mostly ocean racing.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

Skipper Nándor Fa is designer.
http://spiritofhungary.hu/the-boat/

He have raced several times around the world.
2 vendees and other ocean races.

We saw him at the Paris boatshow, he is building his boat and aiming for VG 2016.

#77 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Here's an article talking about less powerful, but lighter boats: http://www.vendeeglo...ut-lighter.html

Guillaume Verdier, talking about hull shapes and ballast tanks: "We’ve already spent enough time looking at hull shapes. I don’t think there is much room for improvement in this area. We can maybe play around with the sail plan, but above all it is with the positioning of the ballast tanks that we should be able to innovate"

#78 MSafiri

MSafiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Spirit of Hungary is nearing completion.

https://www.facebook...y/photos_stream

#79 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Interesting that freeboard seems no longer desirable.

I wonder if we'll look back on this extreme hull form as we do with ultra-skinny hulls and excessive overhangs.

Should be a very wet, scary ride.

#80 jc172528

jc172528

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

Interesting that freeboard seems no longer desirable.

I wonder if we'll look back on this extreme hull form as we do with ultra-skinny hulls and excessive overhangs.

Should be a very wet, scary ride.

A very wet sled 

1382344_301926776631282_543141024_n.jpg

#81 rmb

rmb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

That boat has plenty of freeboard and a nice roof.  Why would you need a ton of freeboard on the transom?  That is the IMOCA 60 typeform and it is much drier than a Volvo boat.  Remember that it is light, and it goes over the waves, not through them.

For a self designed boat, I think he has done an incredible job.  This is the real spirit of ocean racing.

#82 MSafiri

MSafiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

For a self designed boat, I think he has done an incredible job.  This is the real spirit of ocean racing.

This is the 3rd self designed, self built IMOCA he did. Plus the other smaller sailing boats. With Spirit of Hungary, I have 3 boats to root for.

#83 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Really like the look of that boat.

For something he designed and built himself you'd expect it to look some way agricultural- it doesn't at all, looks like it could have jsut came out of one of he big French yards yesterday

#84 MSafiri

MSafiri

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

Really like the look of that boat.

For something he designed and built himself you'd expect it to look some way agricultural- it doesn't at all, looks like it could have jsut came out of one of he big French yards yesterday

had a successful Vendee campagin in 92-93 when he was N° 5, then a not so successful in 96-97 when he was forced to abandon (boat dropped by crain, smashed by tanker and rebuilt, then electronic problems), did B.O.C challenge as well, all self designed/built boats. And was N° 4 in the Jacques Vabre in 97. His company builds port equipments, for the French markets as well :) and he knows what he is doing.

The yeard built the boat is the one doing RC44 yachts....

#85 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

Jean-Pierre Dick’s new IMOCA 60 looks interesting. A new VPLP Verdier rocket ship no doubt.

Attached Files

#86 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

And the old keel-less Virbac-Paprec 3 is to become Alex's new HUGO BOSS.

http://www.vendeeglo...a-new-boat.html

#87 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

Both the Farr and Ex-VP3 are out of the shed with the Hugo Boss guys. Pictures soon to follow apparently.

#88 Speng

Speng

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

How many boats does Alex have now? 2 or 3?

#89 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

They now own the Juan K black and white boat, they're letting ex-Virbac Paprec and I think they've sold the Farr, so only the 1, don't quote me on that though

#90 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

FNOB is the owner of ex-VP3.

But I guess it is still under HugoBoss colours.

#91 jb5

jb5

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Sailing

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

According to a short article on Course au Large Mare have pulled their sponsorship from Jorg Riechers. Bad news.  Hopefully he finds new support.  

#92 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

According to a short article on Course au Large Mare have pulled their sponsorship from Jorg Riechers. Bad news.  Hopefully he finds new support.  

FUCK.

That is really shit. Hope he at least got the money to finsh the work he's on at the moment.

#93 Icedtea

Icedtea

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

Also JPD has announced he's going again in 2016 because the MOD scene has went to shit.

New boat, with the stated aim of winning- no reason he can't

#94 CharlieBurton

CharlieBurton

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

3D_Safran_3_550-2.png

Safran have released a drawing of their new IMOCA, which will be being built from the same plug as Banque Pop

#95 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

I thought MARE was his family's company, non?

FNOB is the owner of ex-VP3.

They now own the Juan K black and white boat, they're letting ex-Virbac Paprec and I think they've sold the Farr, so only the 1, don't quote me on that though

It was asked and answered in my interview with Alex last month.  

#96 nkb

nkb

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Mostly ocean racing.

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

I thought MARE was his family's company, non?

>FNOB is the owner of ex-VP3.

It was asked and answered in my interview with Alex last month.  

No. Mare is a German maritime publication owned by a guy who has supported Jorg's sailing for years but he's not a family member. He has always supported Jorg moving to IMOCA but he was clear from the start that he does not have the money to fund a full IMOCA program. Jorg was looking for a co-sponsor but he hadn't yet been successful. Don't know what happened last week for things to come to this. The Class 40 has been sold and the IMOCA (ex Foncia VG2008 winner) has just finished having the new bow put on it. Its for sale.

As for Alex Thomson Racing, they own the Juan K Black and White boat which is out of the water in LA and actively for sale. They also own the Farr that Alex raced in the last Vendee Globe. They have loaned this boat to the FNOB and they are preparing it for Spanish skipper Guillermo Altaldi for the New York to Barcelona race in June, plus the Barcelona World Race. In return, the FNOB have lent Alex the ex-VP3. This boat has been rebranded as Hugo Boss and had a bit of a refit. They are getting ready for the New York to Barcelona and the Barcelona World Race that Alex will race with Spanish skipper Pepe Ribes (4 VOR, 2 AC etc etc). ATR and the FNOB will return the swap after the end of the BWR.

#97 forss

forss

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

New Hugo Boss(ex-VP3) uncovered

1016970_737743586257818_4659635703228256

Credit: Endeavour Quay

#98 Sailbydate

Sailbydate

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

New Hugo Boss(ex-VP3) uncovered

1016970_737743586257818_4659635703228256

Credit: Endeavour Quay

Beats two-tone blue hand down. 

#99 MR.CLEAN

MR.CLEAN

Anarchist

• Reporters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

That's Ryan's new ride!!!!  Stay tuned for the news on the front page in a  few hours.  Americans finally have a potential winner to cheer for.

#100 Just a Skosh

Just a Skosh

Anarchist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:sailing, backpacking

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

That's Ryan's new ride!!!!  Stay tuned for the news on the front page in a  few hours.  Americans finally have a potential winner to cheer for.

!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users